Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• turbojoe74turbojoe74 Member Posts: 5
  • jsandozjsandoz Member Posts: 3
    Hey all,

I'm probably going to end up buying a 2001 Protege soon, and I was wondering if anyone could help me decide between the LX 2.0 and the ES.

The MSRP of the LX 2.0 is about $1400 less, but it seems to have almost all of the same features. The key features that seem to be missing are the spoiler, 16" wheels, and rear disc brakes. Are there any other differences that I should consider? I'm just trying to decide if it's worth the extra $$$ for the ES.
    Thanks,

-James
  • lindathomp2000lindathomp2000 Member Posts: 39
    I didn't even consider anything but the ES because I wanted a moonroof. Also ABS.
  • bpibpi Member Posts: 120
    The LX 2.0 also does not come with AC and keyless entry which are standard on the ES.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The ES also has the red gauges inside, the sport seats, the keyless illuminated remote entry standard, the spoiler, 16-inch wheels, rear disc brakes, performance tires, and the silver highlights on the dashboard and center console (which I think look sharp). The ES is much sportier than the LX 2.0 is. But to each his own.
    I wrote a review of my 2001 ES as well as my 1999 DX. You have to go to the exact years to check them out though, so do so for some good reading if you are so inclined. :)
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    Saw it while in Tampa on business. Unfortunately it was going the other direction as I was, but I noticed it because of the lack of chrome on the front. I know it is subjective, but I like the chrome on the 99-00. The other thing that really struck me was how much larger the 16" wheels look than my puny little 15" wheels! It made the car look much sportier to me.

Hey, has anyone checked out the new Altima pics/specs at Edmunds. What an improvement! A 2.5 I4 is standard making 170 hp. Can anyone tell me at what displacement does a 4 cylinder engine stop being advised and to move up to a 6 cylinder.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    the ES is sportier! But I am more conservative, the LX 2.0 is more my style, and I don't like black interiors, can't see too well. If I drop something
    in a black car I can't find it unless it's a big object. Black steering wheels get too hot. Black dashes are always covered with dust. Would prefer dark oak or Brazilian rosewood wood trim to silver with beige interior.

Red instrument lighting is difficult for older people to see. They lose their ability to see that wavelength and blue illumination. Dating myself again.

So, I bought an LX 2.0 this morning! Sand Mica. Ordered the cassette player so I can play either one.

Jim
    a.k.a James
    a.k.a fowler3
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    mdaffron - actually I grew up in and still live in Norfolk - I remember well when RPI and MCV merged, but I don't know how long ago that was? (A looong time!)
    you're right! It was a loooooooooong time ago. ;-)
    I can almost remember it. They had merged when I went there. VCU has greatly changed since the last time I saw it.

fowler3
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Here in Minneapolis today, I saw 3 brand new WRXs. Two sedans, one silver, one blue, and a station wagon, blue. All of them had the little "WRX" badge that I thought I would never see. Still haven't seen a 01 Protoge ES though.
  • hboydhboyd Member Posts: 98
    I sold my sharp, still reliable at 94K, 'ol workhorse '95 ES 5sp Sand Mica on Wednesday!!! My buyer was a nice, smart Nurse from Irvine, CA who needed a reliable, safe, and fun-to-drive small car. She got mine!!!! She responded from my Autoweb.com advertisement; it worked out very well. Not many people in LA are interested in a stickshift car with 94K on the ODO. It took about 7 weeks and $110 of ad, smog, and cleaning fees -- and my hard labor -- to recondition and sell her!!! VERY sad to see her go way....ahhhhhh memories... I started dating my wife in this car; I started my 1st and 2nd real career jobs in this car; I had NO car accidents in this Mazda; I had two CHP tickets (tailgating and speeding); only had about 5 parking tickets (three were dismissed... the judge liked my car -- and my arguments -- way too much!!!); Okay.... I'll stop now.... Zoooom Zooooom to NEW memories!!!!!!!

Congrats to Fowler for your LX2.0 purchase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MARTIN
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    Greg, the day I returned from Dallas, Texas; I was promoted to General Manager at the TGI FRIDAYS in Harrisburg PA. I have been "up to my a** in alligators", since then, hehe!!! I have checked in, on our topic, but quite frankly; I have been waaaaay to busy to post. I have had JUST one day off in the last 15 days. I'm very tired. Thanks to all that is good and pure, because my Fridays restaurant is closed on EASTER, YEAAAAA!!!!

Happy Easter, to all the great folks at the Edmunds Mazda Protege Discussion. Have a great holiday, God bless you and your loved ones.

Respectfully;
    Larry
    ...AutoTrader.com. I did and it took only two weeks to sell my Odyssey, cost $30 with color picture. If you have,or can borrow a digital camera, you can upload your own picture.

AutoTrader.com gets 1.5 million hits a day. Doesn't take long for people to find your car. I got zero results from newspaper classified and it cost more.

fowler3/Jim
  • glideslopeglideslope Member Posts: 37
    I saw a new WRX in the most hideous yellow I've ever seen the other day. It was like a yellow custard. Anyone seen it?

Also saw a Civic Coupe in something that scared me last week. It was like a greenish / bronze with a little yellow thrown in. It was horrid. Anyone seen this color?

Mark.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Greg, the day I returned from Dallas, Texas; I was promoted to General Manager at the TGI FRIDAYS in Harrisburg PA. I have been "up to my a** in alligators", since then, Hehe!!! I have checked in, on our topic, but quite frankly; I have been waaaaay to busy to post. I have had JUST one day off in the last 15 days. I'm very tired. Thanks to all that is good and pure, because my Fridays restaurant is closed on EASTER, YEAAAAA!!!!

HAPPY EASTER, to all the great folks at the Edmunds Mazda Protege Discussion. Have a great holiday, God bless you and your loved ones.

Respectfully;
    Larry
  • notminehersnotminehers Member Posts: 42
    Good to hear from you.....we have a brand new FRIDAYS here in Puyallup, Wa. - one of our favorite eateries to grub out. Took our first extended drive today...about 150 miles - Happy Easter to all!! Greg
    Thank you, Greg. E-mail me your home address and I will mail you some, entree cards.

larryisfishin@aol.com

-Larry
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    Hey Larry,

So I was right!

Congratulations on your big Promotion.

Now go for your dream car....
    OK.

can somebody tell me what is the biggest tire size that the 99 protege can accomodate?

eg. 205/55R15...any problems?
  • ajb4ajb4 Member Posts: 11
    does anyone know about k&N air filters, do they increase acceleration, gas milage, do they even make them for proteges?
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    K&N's are certainly made for the Pro's. I have one in my 2000 ES and had one in both my 92 LX's. The power boost is there, but minor (maybe 1-3% boost in HP) but not having to ever pay for a new air filter is the best part (they are warranteed for 1,000,000 miles and only need to be cleaned every 15k-50k, depending on conditions you drive in.

Regards,

Pete
    I had a K&N filter on my 1999 DX, and the car seemed to use more gas while its acceleration did not improve that much more.
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    So where did the subject box disapear to? Anyway, on maximum tire size: it's not easy to answer. The pro is sized to take snow chains, so the max size will depend on whether you want to be able chain up. Then, all tires of the same nominal size are not the same actual size. You can most probably go up to 205/55 without a problem. Jstandefer has 205/50's on his pro. tirerack.com has pretty knowledgeable sales people. You might call or email them.
    How's this deal?

The buyer for my Odyssey offered $500 more than I hoped to sell it for. The Mazda dealer gave me a price $500 less than I was going to counter-offer, based on Edmund's recommendation. I took both. In fact, it was below the invoice price for the car as equiped: AT, AC, mats, keyless entry. Cassette to come.

The dealer also gave me a 5.9% APR on the car loan.

I'm happy! Two painless, no haggle deals.

fowler3
    P.S.
    I didn't get a moonroof because I have had problems with skin cancer on my head, from not wearing a cap when out in the sun. The surgery for that is not pleasant and they warn you to always wear a hat or cap afterwards. I don't like wearing hats in a car.

fowler3
    tires:

Tirerack sales rep was totally useless.
    Just told me a FLAT NO - NO I DON'T HAVE ANY INFO ON THE PRO ES MAX TIRE SIZE!!!!!
    As far as tire size, the next tires I get will be 205/50/16's. Those are big enough, and they will look wide on a car like the protoge. I need to get all season tires, so my choices are somewhat limited. I finally saw the new Civic SI hatchback, and now I don't feel so bad. I thought that I might like the car too much when it came out. Now, I am glad I got the 01 ES. The front end looks like a Focus. I don't know why honda would want to copy that front end. The shifter comes out of the center counsol horizontally and is bent up. It looks very weird. It is built in Britain. (WHY?) It also has only 160 very peaky horsepower. No thanks. I was wondering if any of you change your own oil on the 2.0L engine? How much do you fill it with? The manual says 3.7 quarts, and everytime I fill it with 3.7 quarts it is always "overfilled" on the dipstick indicator. This despite the fact that I changed the filter and let it drain for 20 minutes. Either the dipstick is wrong, or the owners manual is wrong. Anybody with some insight on this would be helpful because the Mazda dealer wasn't very helpful at all. They said they put 4 quarts in.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Todd,
    Does the dipstick show that level after the car has run for a bit and the filter has been filled with oil?
    also, remember you will still have some oil in the crevices and the bottom of the pan, unless the plug is directly underneath and in the middle for absolutly NO chance of oil still on the botton..
    Yes, I did run the car after the oil change before checking the oil. I worked at Jiffy Lube for 4 years to get me through college, so I know I did everything right. When a manufacturer specifies an oil fill capacity, they compensate for the oil that may be left over in all of the nooks and crannies. For instance, my integra called for 4.4 quarts of oil with filter, and when I did that, it was right on the mark on the dipstick. Not so with the Protoge. I have never had a problem with any of the thousands of cars that I have changed oil on unless its a Nissan or a Ford which have notoriously inaccurate dipsticks. The dealer doesn't seem to know (They said they always use 4 quarts which would be overfilled according to the manual). This just goes to show that the dealer doesn't necessarily know everthing. I trust myself WAY more to change my oil than the scrubby kid they have doing it at a dealer. In order for it to read exactly full on the dipstick, you can only put 3.2 quarts in, but the manual says 3.7. I am a perfectionist when it comes to these things and this is driving me nuts. Either I am driving around with an overfilled crankcase, or the dipstick doesn't read correctly.
  • browntrout1browntrout1 Member Posts: 72
    About tire size...I emailed a tire rack person and they said the only size that they get to fit is the 195-55-15 for the 2000 ES. I think they are just lazy and haven't tried it...he said it might rub in the back.

I have heard of alot of people getting 205 on with no problem and even 215 as long as the car is not lowered 3 or 4 inches! 215-50-15 is the same overall diameter as 195-55-15, 205-50 is a little smaller and 205-55 is a little larger.

I stuck my hand behind the tire by the strut assembly and to me there seemed to be at least an inch of clearance so I'm thinking 215's would be no problem as long as you don't plan to use your protege as a rally car.

Anyways, after looking around for these sizes above, there is not a whole lot of selection for these tire sizes so I'm probably going to use the stock ES rims as winter rims and get a new set of wheels next spring. I really like O.Z. Superlegerra...you can see them at tire rack. They are very light, I think it was 15.5lbs per wheel for the 17" wheels. They make them in 15" as well but not 16" unfortunatly so it looks like I'll be going for the 17 inchers.
    I missed posting and reading the great discussions at the Mazda Protege Board. I really missed the "give and take" and the great conversation, here. After, I returned from my week in Dallas, Texas (no computer access and riding a shuttle bus everywhere, yikes!), I was promoted to General Manager at the TGI Friday's in Harrisburg, Pa. Good God, I have only had 2 days off in the last 18 days and have been working very long shifts. Weeeell, I am glad to be back and I have finally caught up on 236 posts! BTW, I posted this update on Easter morning between my son's sunrise Easter Egg Hunt and Church and it disappeared overnight! Just my luck, lol! ZOOMING in my Mazda sure beats a 25 mph shuttle commute in the bumper to bumper traffic, while commuting from Richardson to Dallas, Texas. Aahhh, I love my PRO-ES!
    ;-)

Respectfully;
    Larry
  • orinocofloworinocoflow Member Posts: 11
    Larry, congratulations on your promotion. The way I've seen you work, you deserve it. Gonna spring for a new Protege? Maybe TGI Friday's will throw in a "company car", your choice (I wonder what you would pick?). Take care.

Gene

p.s. Just passed 3100 miles, winter tires/wheels are now off, engine runs strong, nufinish last weekend, wife thinks I'm obsessed with the car.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Your wife THINKS you're obsessed with your car? Obviously you aren't leaning over to her ear enough and whispering maniacal "zoom zoom" epithets while you're driving, or you don't stand up and salute the TV every time a Mazda commercial ("Zoom, zoom, zoom!!!") comes on. My car is an obsession, and my wife is well aware of it!!!

Meade
  • gitarzangitarzan Member Posts: 66
    MEADE: My wife was out with a friend and they pulled into driveway when I was installing the (factory) mudguards last Friday. Her friend told me that when they pulled into the driveway, my wife said, "He spends more time with that car than with me!" Your comment just kind of rang a bell. :) I did get little obsessed. I got vanity plates, and added a few other aftermarket options. Now I'm looking for some fuzzy dice as a joke but I'm not finding just the "right" look. the onces on the market today just aren't fuzzy enough. It'll drive my wife ape-shirt.

EVERYBODY: Regarding wider low profile tires on big rims, are there any caveats or horror stories? I always hear of the advantages, but what do you loose?
    It depends on how much wider you go. If you have 195s now, 205s should be fine and they shouldn't rub. There are not many disadvantages to wider tires but there are some. First, your steering will be a little less precise with wider tires, but it wouldn't even be noticeable going from 195s to 205s. Second, wider tires are not as good in the snow. Third, wider tires tend to folllow the ruts in the road more. (My mustang's 245s were horrible for this) Thats it.
  • hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    2002 Protege5 prices (both MSRP and invoice) are available at www.kbb.com
    maltb was right.
    They have prices for the MP3 also.
    A friend wad telling me that proteges used to have 4 wheel drive, I don't really remember this. Does any one have one?
    i believe it was only 1 yr the 4wd's were made.. early 90's..

just looked.. it was the 1991 Protege's with 4wd
    Actually was 90 & 91 that the 4dr had 4wd option. The 323 has also been available at times with 4wd and turbo.

:)
    anyone have any info on gas milage for 2001 es'
    www.mazdausa.com

• mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Anyone out there disappointed with your 2.0 mileage with an auto? Kind of burns when a much heavier Accord with a 4 banger does better. Right now, the only thing going ZOOM, ZOOM, ZOOM is the price of gas!
    Is the Accord nearly as fun to drive?

Are you kinda disapointed when you see yourself 400 times a day while driving around?
    Gene, I hope to improve the food and service in Harrisburg. I have a new management team to help me, however I'm still short one manager. I am busting my [non-permissible content removed] to "get it right"! Working long hours comes with the job, lol! The real cool part is meeting new guests and hiring great staff to work with.

I LOVE driving the 60 mile round trip in my Protege! I have endeavored to keep both of my PRO-ES's looking show room new. My wife gets hissed off occasionally, but I will not be deterred. I really enjoy detailing my pair of gems!!!! It would be great to get together sometime. I'm sure my son would enjoy playing with your children. Gene, you have great kids and a lovely wife. If you get over to Lancaster, give me a shout.

Respectfully;
    Larry
    The point is if a car handles well and rides somewhat rough, that's acceptable (if you prefer handling). When a smaller engine, making less power, is placed in a smaller car, but gets the same mileage, the fact that someone may complain is acceptable, at least to me. Doesn't mean mpgman prefers an Accord over a Protege.
    The problem with the protoge is that it revs too high on the highway. The Accord also has variable valve timing, so the comparison is kind of unfair. But I wouldn't buy a car for mileage alone. Otherwise I would have a Civic or Geo Metro or something. God forbid. If Mazda would have put the 2.5L 24 valve V6 in the Protoge, I would have got that, regardless of the mileage difference. I get 27-31 miles per gallon with the 5sp which just fine. Besides, I don't think the Accords interior is THAT much bigger. They are nice cars, but if I got one it would have to have the 6 cylinder anyways and there goes your MPG.
    Everyone decides for himself which car is appropriate, but Americans do have the luxury of "cheap" gas and have been buying more powerful and heavier vehicles.