Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Hey! I'm a Civic owner too! :)

-- rob
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    My comment was related to those that feel the need to defend their purchase on a board that is only about Protege. If they want to compare cars there are other forums for that purpose. So my original comment of "all are welcome, but not all belong" is accurate.

For example, I really appreciate the fact that Henry. has been in here for quite some time and doesn't use this place to trash the Pro. He checks his figures and facts and posts reasonably. Some may disagree, but that's their opinion as we are all welcomed to have.

I could go on, but I'll leave it at that, and I think we know what type of people I was referring to.

:)
  • hkchanhkchan Posts: 420
    I was browsing Gates' web site and found a guide for timing belt replacement schedule. http://www.gates.com/shared/brochure.cfm?brochure=109&site_section=automotive

It only goes up to 1998. For the 1998 Protege and 626, it lists the replacement schedule for both the 1.5L, 1.8L and 2.0L (626) as 60,000 miles but 105,000 miles for California. Is that consistent with Mazda's recommended schedule? Why's it longer in California? It also says the Protege engines are not interference engines but the 626's (which would be the same as the 2.0L the '01 Protege uses) is. Is that true?
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    I believe the reason behind the longer timing belt replacement interval in California is because of a California law that states major services cannot be required before a specific mileage. I know they are the same timing belt though.
    Interesting. So if a belt breaks in Californa at 80,000 miles, Mazda foots the bill?
    I used to use the Gates guide all the time in my previous life. The book has timing belt installation instructions for almost every car on the road. However, beware of the interference charts. I learned first hand on my dad's 94 Jetta that the guide is not 100% accurate. I think I still have a few of the old valves in the garage. As far as the Mazda's being the same way, that would take some checking when have a spare hour(don't hold your breath).

The CA belt is no different, so I don't know what Gates is talking about.

• hboydhboyd Posts: 98
    On my CA State '95 ES, I replaced my timing belt (and 2 drive belts at the same time) at 86K without any problems whatsoever. The mechanic who did the work said the belt was "okay." You can negotiate this service easily with one of the managers... I got it at $280 plus the driving belts ($30)... $310... AND a free oil-change!

MARTIN
    LOL. Negotiating the price with a service manager? Is there anything at a dealership that's not negotiable? Did he disappear for 15 minutes and "talk" to his boss?
    I changed the timing belt in my '90 Integra once (actually twice on the same day but that's a different story) and it was a "fun" experience.
  • vonnyvoncevonnyvonce Posts: 128
    Change interval for timing belt in Massachusetts is also 105,000. It is the same belt I believe but it has something to do with California and some northeast states emission regulations. I don't know if Mazda pays if the belt goes before 105,000.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    I believe the California law has to do with consumer protection, not emissions as the timing belt isn't really a piece of emissions equipment. A California Mazda dealer will still recommend the belt to be replaced at 60,000.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    60,000 miles!! Wow, that would be ten years from now considering my annual driving. A lot more would need changing before then.

On another note: When I pulled into my garage tonight, returning from dinner out, a neighbor came from across the street to ask, “How do you like your new Volvo?” She saw the Protegé's big taillights and thought it was a more expensive car.

I backed it out so she could look it over. She was very impressed saying, “I still think it is a luxurious car.” :D (She drives a 1997 Accord). She's right. I have owned three Accords and a '98 Odyssey and the 2001 Protegé is just as nice as those cars, better in many ways.

fowler3
    Some of you have talked about replacing the Bridgestone tires with other brands and sizes. To see what changes the 205's would make check out this tire calculator.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

fowler3

• chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    what is the layer of material placeed on the firewall and under the hood supposed to be doing?

heat insulation or sound insulation?

and what is that material made of?
  • mosebymoseby Posts: 1
    Traded in my '99 ES in for a '01 ES 2.0 last week. Both black with 5spd manual - no ABS or side impact. New shifter is much better than old one. I'd say even better than shifter in my 93 Civic Si. Gearing and available torque in '01 is just right. The '99 had plenty of zoom above 3000 rpm, and could spin its wheels from a standstill, but was a bit short on torque coming out of corners. '99 was a nice apex carver but '01 ES has even sharper steering response.
    '01 soaks up bumps much better than '99. rear end of '99 was a bit difficult to control in panic stop without ABS. 4 wheel disc brakes on '01 correct that problem nicely, even without ABS. My '99 developed a bad case of door squeak and rattles. '01 is solid...so far. Additional insulation and Dunlop tires in '01 cut down but do not eliminate engine and road noise.
  • gitarzangitarzan Posts: 66
    I guess the material serves as an insulator for sound and heat, but I was told that if there is an engine fire, the connectors will melt and the stuff will drape over the engine hopefully retaining the fire.

I guess it's a fire insulator.

I don't know what it is made of.
    Will that be in and around VaTech?

I don't know anything about ’93 Proteges having just bought my second Mazda car in the past 20 years. Do you know who the previous owner (owners)
    was (were) and does he (they) have the service records? That would help if you could get that information.

Also, have a mechanic check the car over for you before buying it.

fowler3
    One other thing: Is the interior dirty, does it look abused, trashed? If so, you can be sure the engine and tranny got even worse treatment the past 75K.

fowler3
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    Congrats on the "New" car. I think you are the 1st of the 99/00 owners to move up to the 2001 Protege. I hope you never receive 1st hand knowledge, nevertheless I believe the rear bumper on the 2001 is much better than the 1999. Enjoy, my friend.

Respectfully;
    Larry
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Posts: 398
    Has anyone noticed if their Pro is leaving a spot on floor. My 2k has twice left a grease spot with about 2 mos in between occurences. There is a bearing assembly that connects the joint shaft from the transaxle to the right drive shaft and I found the bracket that holds the bearing assembly to be wet from what appears to be grease. Maybe that bearing is packed with grease and the dust seals are leaking. I got appointment with dealer soon, but just wanted to know if anybody has had same thing. I wiped everything completely dry the first time I saw it, so more grease is getting there somehow.