Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    can your team play on real grass? That snow tolerant variety sure makes baseballs bounce.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Summer is over. It's hockey season now!!

Interesting how both tires and pucks are rubber...pucks glide so nicely over the ice surface...much like the Potenzas!
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    a handful of bags from the grocery store

Why do you have wild kids from the grocery store? Are they cabbage patch kids? From now on, leave all wild children where you find them ...

... in Dale's classroom.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "can your team play on real grass?"

I dunno. Ask Oakland.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    That's too funny. :) The kids are my best friend's, and we usually end up going shopping for some reason when we go out. They are not really wild per se, but a little untamed. Like normal 3 and 4 year olds.

And I don't throw the kids in the trunk, although I have thought about it when they are arguing sometimes! :)
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    is that number for the 99-02 proteges?
    i dunno, kinda looked different.
    but is working great. very nice and tight.
    I actually got better mileage in city driving conditions than my old one.

Now, if only you all can help me out with the 1st gear shift speed.

When does your Pro shift into First gear when slowing down. Mine shifts very close to the Zero mark and is indicated by a small jump in the tachometer needle and the solenoid shifting "clunk sound" as it has very little time to get into 1st.
    My car almost always shifts to first after it comes to a stop. Sometimes, though, it will shift to first when rolling slowly, say under 5 mph or so, especially when the light is about to turn or just did turn green. Every once in a long long while, it will shift to first at 10-15 mph or so after revving the engine a bit. The tranny has an adaptive shifting algorithm that uses a very sophisticated neural network (one of the best on the planet with many, many layers and nodes).

Oh, wait, you were asking about automatics, weren't you? Sorry - never mind.

BTW, sometimes it seems to use a secondary algorithm, which is based on fuzzy logic.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Are you a techie, or in some way (closely!)associated with computers? That's all geek-talk (which probably explains why I got it!)
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    those brute force neural networks and fuzzy logic techniques are usually used when the programer desperately doesn't know how to do otherwise. But I must admit that it works wonderfully for the shifting (though the network must be trained correctly.)

Bruno
    I thought that kind of neural network (that determines shifting) had probably evolved over time, and become a genetic trait that could be handed down over the generations! Hmm, not yet, perhaps!
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I've seen some excellent neural nets, but then the 2nd gen is completely pathetic at shifting. Definitely something that has to be programmed into the net.
    Ivalid response. Ding, ding, ding!

I (unfortunately) drive an automatic, thats all I found when I was looking for used cars. So the 2nd gen, and bad shifting quote, is way off target. Unless you are referrring to the silly computer that controls shifts in my car - it isn't bad, but I'm not exactly satisfied with it!
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Didn't you know, Portenzas are made from old hocky puks. That's why they glide so nicely. They miss the good old days.

fowler3
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Get your spelling straight.

Wordman
    Inventor of the "Poortenza" moniker
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    I have had a lot of trouble getting in today.

On another topic, we had the first real rainfall since I got my new tires (Toyo Proxes T1-S). I am happy to report that these are by far the best tires I have ever driven on in wet conditions. I would say that they are an order of magnitude better than the Dunlops (SP Sport 5000m) ever were. Standing water was seen and heard, but not felt. The tires didn't slip on launch, and cornering felt as stable as dry conditions. Mind you, I didn't go driving around like a madman, but I was definitely able to push the performance envelope well beyond any previous experience in the Protege. Here is a picture if you haven't taken a look at these wonderful tires before:

http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_lines/popups/jpgs/t1s.jpg

• the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    is the official tire used in the Speed World Challenge racing series, where all the racing Proteges compete. I've seen them in person, and with the exception that they shave off the tread to 3/32 before using, they're the exact tires they sell to the public.

it's no racing slicks, but it's gotta be pretty damn good to be used in a pro racing series.
    That's a nice treadwear rating for such a high-performance tire.

My Dunlop SP Sport A2s are holding up very nicely after 11,000 miles. No visible sign of treadwear and they still stick to the road like white on rice in the rain (they're designed for rain). Very confidence-inspiring. Only H-rated, but they handle just as well (and astronomically better in the wet) than the V-rated Poortenzas they replaced. Much quieter too!

Oh, their ratings:

420, AA, and A. 50,000-mile warranty too.

Meade
  • reitrofreitrof Member Posts: 122
    Boggse,

What size did you get and what was the price? I did not see a size for the P5, 195 50 16 just the 195 45 16. But they are not Z rated?

Thanks
    Bruce
    My ES wears 195/50R16. The specs for this size do not show up on Toyo's website. I notified them of the missing information, and they say they plan to fix it the next time they update that page. In this size, the Toyos are rated at 84V, but not Z rated. The Toyo stock number for this size is 241790. I paid $135 each.
  • reitrofreitrof Member Posts: 122
    Thanks.

Bruce
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    What tire pressure gauge do you guys use? Can anyone recommend one that can be trusted that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I can't seem tofind two that will agree within a pound. I'd like to buy an air compressor with a precise gauge. Any recommendations? Anything that I can get from Sears?
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Me too! What about the digital gauges, are they any good? Radio Shack had them last year for US$9.95
    and WalMart sells a model for US$4.95, not the same brand though. The old type with the pop-up stick has always been questionable.

You keep testing the pressure you keep letting air out. ;) PSSSSt, psssst, Dangit! Psssst, pssst, Dangit!

Think about it, when you buy an import you are getting air from another country.

fowler3
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I don't think the brand or price point matters. They're all much better than the manual "stick" ones. Just test them out for how easy they are to work and hold (some designs may not allow you to easily push them onto the tire stem of your particular tire/wheel/stem combination).

One thing I don't like about the two I've got is the boss in the center that's supposed to push in the valve is made of the same plastic as the rest of the casing and is kind of soft. I've already worn mine down to the point where I really have to push down on the tire valve to get a reading. They really should use a harder plastic or use metal for this part.

I think CR actually tested several digital and manual tire pressure gauges (stick and dial) a few months back. They found only 1 or 2 manual dial ones worth anything, but they were easily knocked out of calibration (so treat these gently). I think all the digital models tested worked fine and measured within 1/4psi of each other.
    of the Rally Monkey. Go Angels! I guess.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I knew you'd see the light. Actually, I'm waiting for the Angels to rip off their masks and say, "Take me to your leader."

Bring on the Giants!

Req content: I wonder if any Angels drive a Protege? I remember meeting Donnie Moore's daughter at a party years ago. She drove a convertible RX-7.
    I'm just glad it wasn't the Yankees that went. When the playoffs started I knew if it wasn't going to be the Twins, then I wanted the Angels to go. The Twins already have two World Series victories, it's the Angels turn now. Go Angels!

BTW, I think Percival drives a 96' Protege DX and that roid-head Fullmer has a 97' LX.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    I saw a movie clip starring Van Damme(dunno which) but it had the Protege as a Police cruiser. WoW!!
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    I guess, I'm a little old fashioned. :-p
    I like a well made stick tire pressure gauge. It fits in the glove box and will prolly last a long long time. I got mine from Griot's Garage on-line about 5 years ago. It works great and cost about 10 bucks. I also keep one in the glove box of my wife's Protegé. Alex, 32 psi for my Protegé.

-larry
    Chikoo, it is well known that Sri Lanka Police uses only Mazda Protegé ES's to patrol thier cities. However, in Lativia the authorities use only the Toyota Echo. Go figure?

-larry
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    I was looking for a link on some pics of a PRO police cruiser, but can't find any.

Can anyone point me to a site I can take a look at this?

Dinu
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Here is a link to one page of the Sri Lankan Police Dept. It shows some of their police cars.

http://www.police.lk/divisions/emergency.html

I can see how the old car at the top could be a gen 1 Protege (although the headlights look a little different), but the newer cars at the bottom have very different hoods and front ends.

• jeffy729jeffy729 Member Posts: 45
    Hello everyone. Just got back from a 500 mile trip to visit family in Northern California. I got a chance to drive my 02' LX over a big chunk of I-5 (pretty beat up in places from trucks)and two lane highways of varying condition. The Protege's ride was quite comfortable under every situation. I have the stock "Poortenzas" ;-) at 32 lbs. of pressure and there is a nice balance between ride and handling. Plus it's pretty quiet at higher speeds (did 80 mph most of the time on the interstate). I really don't understand many reviews (particularly Consumer Reports) slamming the Protege's ride being so harsh compared to other cars in it's class. I really don't see that it is (it does have a "firmer" ride, but I don't consider it harsh).
    I'm sorry Dale, I was refering to the city in Alabama, not the country. :-D The Sri Lankan, Alabama Police Department uses the 2001 Mazda Protegé ES to patrol their fine city.

-larry
    A 500 mile road trip, whew! About 4 hours or so each way? Sounds like you appreciate the ride of our "4-door Miata's"!

-larry
    That car at the top is a mid-80s Peugeot 505.

Here's a pic of a burgundy '86 for comparison:

http://media7.motorcities.com/02ETA163335359A.jpeg

Ce n'est pas japonais; c'est francais. Au revoir!

Monsieur Daffron

(Ma nom, c'est francais aussi!)
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    I do believe that you meant to say "mon" nom, n'est-ce pas?
    ;-)
    When you consider it's being used by the new Lamborghini Murcielago!

http://www.auto.com/art/2002/oct/15/auto_front.jpg

Meade

• mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I'd be looking for a severe discount off that Lambo, if I were interested.
    Searched again, all come up with nothing as far as the PRO and Alabama police are concerned

Dinu
  • townhall9townhall9 Member Posts: 78
    There is an excellent article, on H rated touring tires, in the most recent edition of Consumer Reports. I recommend reading the article, not just the graph/results. I am re thinking the idea of sticking with the tires that came with my ES.
    Walter,

What are you thinking about instead?
    I will have to reference the article to answer your question. I remember being impressed with the one that rated an "A" in cornering, and a "B" in stopping; instead of the two that rated visa versa. I'll try to remember to bring it in tomorrow, but I still recommend reading the whole article - useful, general, tire info.
    In catching up on some of the postings, for the last two weeks, I noticed one stating that the Pro is under powered. That perception is lost on the drivers that want to goad me into a street race.
    You know, my 11 month old daughter thinks I can run really fast.

When you need to get up to highway speeds on a extremely short entrance ramp, does it matter if it's a Honda Civic or a Porsche 911 turbo that is about to rear-end you?

Actually it does - the Porsche has better brakes.
    I dunno, maybe they are looking for an easy kill? Doesn't make sense to me either. When I had my 5.0L, slower cars always wanted to race. Why? I don't know, but it was fun.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    A Protege might be underpowered to somebody who is used to driving faster cars. However, somebody coming out of a Geo Metro would feel that the Protege 2.0 was downright fast.
    I have no problem merging, getting in front of someone if my lane ends, and passing on country roads. Now a 5spd PRO will be much better at this (shift into 4th and see the tach run above 4500), but even my auto does the job.

Previous car: 93 Civic with a whooping 106 hp.

Still happy with the PRO 15mths and 45.000kms (28.000miles) later :)

Dinu
    I am used to driving much faster cars and I don't think the Protege is underpowered. "Underpowered" is a relative term. Underpowered compared to my old 5.0L? Yeah. Underpowered compared to a Civic EX? Hardly. The cars that have more power in the Protege's class don't interest me. What? I could get a Dodge Neon. I could get a homely, rear beam axle havin', built in Mexico Sentra SE-R. I could get a Hyundai, or how about a Cavalier Z24? Hmmm... Heck, even the Toyota Corolla is faster but NONE of them are a Protege. They all have at least one thing about them that really sucks.
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    I have to echo one of Fowler's remarks on the subject. Yes I have a digital gauge with a life long lithium battery. But the head is angled , which means if you don't get it positioned right over the valve, which I can never seem to do, you let about 3 pounds out.