Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• townhall9townhall9 Member Posts: 78
    Washed, and hand dried, my baby yesterday (temp: 55F). Good to have the east coast, ice storm gunk off of it. I was reminded: don't forget to rinse off the "shelf" in the rear wheel well. I enjoyed watching the last rays of light glint off the paint/wheels. I am still without power.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    some of you folks are still without power.

Ted--I'm 5'3", and do fine in the Protege sedan. I will admit, though, that when I had the Focus rental for a couple of days, I enjoyed sitting up a little higher.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Get a booster seat for your Pro.

Do you need one in restaurants too? :P
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Then you can see all the way around too. Extend it up to see over those darned mini-vans and SUV's.
  • krotinekrotine Member Posts: 93
    She could probably sit on the "Hello Kitty" seat covers that I saw on Ebay (Link is in Protege Posse)
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    My dealer just called. Mazda is now offering 0% for 5 years on Protege5. Perhaps with will persuade my wife...
    Who decided this was Pick-on-Dale week?

(and I swear, Mike and Raymond, if you try to say that EVERY week is Pick-on-Dale week, I'll be on the next plane to Canada and/or PA)

Boy, does my Protege need to be washed.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I just ran mine through the car wash yesterday. Look at the bright side, your car could be black or dark green and look REALLY bad right now...
    Well, my white car looks pretty danged bad right now...I would say that it could compete pretty well against say, oh, maybe Mike's black LX or Raymond's midnight blue P5. :P
    looks Midnight Shiny right now thank you. $8.95 at Jerry's Carwash got all the gunk off!

and not every week is Pick on Dale week, only the ones with 7 days in them.
    The shine from my Pro would blind you right now.

And ditto what Ray said :D
    I'll have you know that I was actually in line at the car wash in Saturday, behind several other people who were taking advantage of the above-freezing temps.

My elderly grandparents happened to walk by just then, however, so I decided it would be better to give them a ride home rather than continue to wait.

Seriously.

:)
    Good tale.

Seriously.

:)
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    And with that nice layer of crud protecting my paint, I don't need to worry about washing it until spring!!!

Meadeball
    How does the white P5 look compared to the green ES?
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Offer, $6,100. Edmunds True Market Value on the a 2000 LX as you described is roughly $7,100. Prolly, $6,750 is fair. Jeeze, I'm sure a lower milage Protege in your price range can be located? Good luck, thel!

-larry
    I thought he was offering money for a 2000 ES???
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    But they are asking $8750 so I don't think I'll even bother to make an offer.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Dale could sit on a phonebook. LOL!

My power didn't go off! Have been in since Wednesday due to power off everywhere else in NC. It's frustrating not being able to go to a bank for cash to buy food. Good thing I stocked up before the storm.

Went out today, late paying bills due to storm. On the way to the Post Office -- WHAM!! I was rearended at a traffic light by a Lexus GS300 SUV!
    Fortunately he had slowed down to make a turn, no damage, not even paint scruffed.

Rearenders are the state sport in NC. I have seen as many as three at one intersection in less than an hour.

My Pro hasn 't been washed since June, what a crummy mess. Water restrictions due to drought, yet we have had rain and more rain followed by snow and ice.

fowler3
    Glad you and the Protege are okay, although it must have been a little scary for a second there.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Glad all's ok though. I was thinking: not another PRO!

Dinu
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    My wife is 5'2" and sits fine. She hasn't even adjusted the seat yet.
    You can raise it on the ES too!

Dinu
    ... as in my case ...

Meade
    That's the second Protege this month to be rearended. Parallax, what ever happend to your car? How much damage?
    Meade
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Hey, it's Tuesday and my fingers are crossed......
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Time to face the fire. :-)
    Alright, enough with the riddles and hints, OUT with it!!!
  • townhall9townhall9 Member Posts: 78
    We, in central NC, do get the occasional cold snap. But, at least, it warms up quickly - so as to wash one's pride and joy. I am still without power (at home), I lost most of the ends off the limbs of the Oak that gives my home mid-afternoon shade on hot summer days, but I am comforted by the fact that my baby came through unscathed, and is spotless (light drizzle today/tonight). When I get in, and fire her up, I feel fine. (Did I just plagiarize a song?)
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    check your Yahoo mail.
    I put in 47L and drove 468kms.

It was a 75% highway, 25% city split. On the highway I drove 120-130km/h (75-80mph???) and in the city 70-80km/h (45mph???).

According to Mazda Canada, city fuel consumption should be 10L/100kms city and 7L/100kms highway.

Is my fuel consumption this bad b/c I've driven above 90km/h and that sucked a lot more gas?

Dinu
    I put in about 43L and get about 448-500 kms and that's in all city driving.

I'd say take a bit of lead out of your shoes. :P
    it might be a while, end of the month today...busy
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Above 100km/h it's going to burn more. ;)

fowler3
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    The 33 mpg I average is about 65% hwy, cruising at around 75 mph, which if I've done the arithmetic correctly is faster than 90 kph. I think it has more to do with how quickly you get to 90 kph. ;-)
    But what about those on-ramps that beg to see the PRO attack them?

I'll try, but I have to drive 120km/h on the highway: everyone drives this speed and I couldn't handle 110km/h anyway.

Now the auto tranny sure eats a little more gas (:

I can't wait for that 00 1.8 LX TE I'll get.

Dinu
    75mph is about 125km/h I think. I heard a while back that driving at 90km/h provides the best fuel consumption on a car, but that's 55mph!!! As far as accelerating fast goes, yes sometimes I do it, but more often than not I stay with traffic when pulling from a light, but end up ahead anyway. Hmm... I think it might have to do with that :)

I wonder how manufacturers test their fuel consumption they report to gov't agencies. At what speed?

Dinu
  • maxmx5maxmx5 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone running snow tires on the Protege ES? What are they? How much?
    Dinu
    55!!!!!!
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Some manufacturers play with the rules by driving in a fashion that most people wouldn't (like the Corvette, which basically shifts from 1st to 4th, keeping the rpms down).

The key to maximizing mpg is to drive at the lowest rpm in top gear without lugging the engine. For my AT-equipped 1.6L, this works out to be around 45mph in OD with the torque lock-up converter engaged. And how quickly you get up to speed (and down) greatly affects it too.
    in our very own Message Center!
    At least somebody caught that....
    I have trouble driving below 80mph... :(
    Check your Yahoo mail. If you are going to reply, you can send it right to my work e-mail.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Sorry, no selling in the Town Hall, per your Membership Agreement.

You might want to visit Edmunds.com's Used Power Shopper and list there.
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    You're lucky you had no damage in your rear ender. My incident last month with an 84 Toyota Camry is going to cost me about $930 to repair. I'm going to ask to have the 2000+ bumper reinforcement put in instead of the crappy 99. I haven't had a chance to get it in the shop yet, just an estimate. That's for replacing the bumper cover, bumper, and aligning the trunk lid.
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Because I have not seen any other hosts as diligent as you, Pat. Thanks for the info on the Power Shopper.