Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You step on the gas and let the car figure it out. That's it. Been there, done that. Car went across the ice. Don't know how, all I cared about is that it did.
    I am far from living in a utopia. But traction control does work wonders on ice. I know what you mean about a sloping road though, slid sideways a couple of weeks ago in the snow and hit the curb. I would rather deal with ice, to an extent, than 2 feet of snow though.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Uhhh, are we saying the precipitation is always harder to deal with on the other side of the fence?

At any rate, this argument seems rather pointless. And protegeless.

Could we move on now?

:-)
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    The 94 LX Pro has 125 HP (3more than my 2000!) but less torque (108lb/ft of torque). It was rated to pull 800 lbs worth of trailer with a 100 lb tongue weight. If she has a manual tranny, I'd say it would be okay if she takes her time and doesn't try for fast starts or stops.

I agree with Mazdafun though, rent the bigger Ryder and put the Pro on a towing dolly or trailer. Let the wear and tear go on the truck, not the car.

Regards,

Pete
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    You might want to check, on their web-site, how much that u-haul trailer weighs. I think they are around 500lbs empty so that doesn't give you much room as far as stuff you can actually tow. the only thing you really want to pull would be a much lighter duty utility trailer which are closer to 250lbs.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Let's keep the comments here related to Proteges and the features Proteges have!

Meade
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    If this person needs to get over the Rockies, and he or she like his or her Protege, I'd very strongly recommend against it. It may seem OK driving through the flat plains, but the Rockies are a double wammy - the long steady incline (occasionally quite steep) and the loss of power with altitude. Any head room will quickly evaporate with the thinning air.

I therefore cast my vote for wrecking a rental truck towing the Pro.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    They'll fade that much faster on the long downhills slopes. I wouldn't want another 500lbs off stuff pushing my Pro downhill.

Speaking of brakes, if she rents a truck, she should make sure its brakes are in good condition.
    ... a couple of years ago with my B2300 pickup. It was the smallest one that's enclosed -- 4x6 with a single axle. The tongue weight was more like 150 pounds -- seems to me it was even closer to 200 pounds, because I was concerned about the fact that the bumper hitch on my B2300 was rated at a 200-lb. max tongue weight. I will say this -- it was HEAVY. And then, since it was a single-axle trailer, I had to be VERY careful to try and keep it balanced as I loaded it so I didn't increase the tongue weight even further.

All that said, I'll add that my truck, equipped with a 5-speed tranny and a 2.3-liter 4-cylinder engine (only about 100 hp but lots of torque) had a hard time with that trailer. On one hill coming out of Lynchburg, Virginia (which is just getting into the Southern Appalachians -- nothing like the Rockies), I had to downshift to 2nd gear and made it across the top in the right lane at 30 mph with my foot on the floor and the prayers flowing.

And the truck had a frame and substantially more weight to handle that trailer. I also have owned a first-generation Protege. There is no weight in the back of the car and I would not dare pull a trailer with it or my current Protege. If that trailer starts to sway it'll steer your car right off the highway. Very, very dangerous.

I just looked it up on U-Haul's website. It is 670 pounds empty and is rated to carry up to 830 pounds. That's 1,500 pounds total. Do you really think your Protege can safely handle with 3/4 of a ton behind it?

I'll say it now ...

I told you so.

Meade
    Zoom Zoom!!!

;-)

Meade
  • george2002george2002 Member Posts: 13
    Towed a small tent trailer with a '92 Pro for a couple of summers , short distances , very flat county. Wouldn't do it again even though the car seemed to handle it OK. Blew a head gasket during the 2nd winter and I would say the strain on the engine had something to do with it.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    I'm in Toronto but lived in Montreal b/w 91-94. Learned French too - I'm actually studying to be a French teacher.

Anyways, PRO-wise, mine is also a 2001 ES, but I did add the spoiler as an option, along with A/C and the dreaded AT (so my mom can also drive it). I now have AVID Touring in 195/60/R15 size- the Potenzas wore-off before 30.000kms and send me in a curb last winter. Not a fun experince, so this summer I got them replaced at 38.000kms. I now have just over 53.000kms since July 01 and it still drives like a silver rocket (it's silver obviously).

When I got mine in July 01 there were very few PROs in Toronto, but a year later they were everywhere, just like in Mtl.

Washed it yesterday at one of those do it yourself places - touchless, high pressure wash. Looks like she belongs on a cover of a magazine. Ok I'll admit it, I love this car!

Dinu
  • eflat1eflat1 Member Posts: 8
    I've seen some of your previous posts about the Avid Touring tires, and I got the impression that you like them ok, but not quite as much as the tirerack reviews would indicate to me. I am considering these tires along with the Michelin X-One and Goodyear Regatta 2's. I do *alot* of highway miles at about 70-75 mph in my '99 Pro and am looking for quiet, comfort, and treadlife. What are you current feeling on these and what type of driver are you? Thanks!
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    On my Lexus. Very quiet and stable. I love the tire.
    I'm looking at them very hard too. They were my first choice before I went with the Dunlop SP Sport A2s, which, even though they have a 50,000-mile treadlife warranty, I like several others have managed to get only half that mileage out of them. I have only 19,000 miles on my set of four SP Sport A2s and one of them is all the way down to the treadwear indicators -- the other 3 aren't far behind. Looks like I'll be considering the Yokos again in a few thousand miles.

Meade
    I have a set on my '89 323. Very quiet, very good lateral grip on wet surfaces. OK as all-seasons typically are on snow and slush. Hydroplaning resistance is good, but I actually think the Dunlop SP Sport A2s are better.

From my observation, the X-Ones will outlast my 323. From inspecting them inside and out, they're amongst the best-constructed tires I've seen.

The Avid Touring tire gets good remarks. Mind that the folks reviewing them are looking for touring tires, not performance tires (although they're almost as good as the Avid T4...a bit slower response, as you'd expect).
    I like them b/c:

1. In 15.000 kms they look brand new - no wear at all, while my Potenzas already showed an alarming wear within a few months.

2. I went from 195/55/15 to 195/60/15 and the ride is MUCH better: less harsh, and >>noisier<
  • townhall9townhall9 Member Posts: 78
    A co-worker has a 6 month old Hyundai, with the great (sic) warranty. Her A.C. is not working. The local dealership told her that the problem is -her- fault (b.s. - song & dance). Not only do they say that the repair is not covered under warranty, they charged her $77 to diagnose the problem. Of all the reasons to buy a particular car- frequency of repair is king. Go Pro.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    you try out the new Yokohama AVS ES100? apparently they are available in 195/55 as well as 205/55 sizes.

I know tirerack carries this yokohama series of tires too!!
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I remember I had to replace the battery in my 626. My Dad had to debate with the dealer because they wanted to charge alot money to replace the batttery. I think they charged me 15 dollars at the end. I see thats one area the domestics thrive in over imports: dealer service. Pontiac, Ford, Chevrolet, and Chrysler best Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Mazda in dealer service. However Acura, Lexus, and Infinti rank near the top. How come The Japanese Big 3 luxury divisions give better customer service where as Honda, Toyota, and Nissan don't?
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    &#149;How come The Japanese Big 3 luxury divisions give better customer service where as Honda, Toyota, and Nissan don't?*

Dealer GREED! Proprietary parts, limited number of third party garages.

fowler3
    It snowed yesterday afternoon and nite in TO and someone was out. When that someone went back to his car, surprise surprise, it was covered in LOTS of snow. I was inside for a few hours.

The drive home was not fun - ALL roads and highways were covered in snow and I did not see the black pavement underneath the snow once during this 25kms trip. It was solid everywhere.

The AVID Touring tires did well - stopping the car w/out trouble, yet when I got out of the ruts formed in snow by cars ahead of me to pass them, it was all over the place.

Back end went out for a second, but came back rite away. Not fun! I suspect it just went out of the rut.

Another happening occured when I was on the highway and the road was slightly turning left. The road is banked for turns. I had the steering wheel in this position " \ " intead of the normal " - " just to keep going through the left hand turn - yes steering wheel to the right about 45 degrees to go left.

It was a tough drive with the whole car shaking from all that snow. I got to drive 50-60 km/h all that time.

When I got home, there was snow inside the wheel wells, FULL! I've never seen that. And of course this morning, the car was covered in ice b/c the warm hood made it very easy for melting snow to freeze.

I am pretty sure I would have gone 30 km/h or just got stuck if I had the Potenzas on... From what I heard from my cousin who went on another route back to his house, 5 BMWs were getting stuck on an uphill. Ah, the joy of a RWD in snow.

Dinu
    Also warranted for 80,000 miles. My Lexus will never see above 118mph again.
    Went outside to get something from the car and decided to look at the wheels: SOLID ICE ALL AROUND IN EACH WHEEL WELL!!!

So I started scrapping, ramming the snow brush around the tires, turning the front wheels so I can get to more ice... 15 mins later the car is back to normal. I just can't believe how much snow has accumulated from last nite's drive and how it froze - usually it falls off by itself, but not this time.

Dinu
    Come on down South, the snow is gone, the ice is gone -- now we are getting heavy rain, flooding, and an occasional tornado. Always something to keep life interesting. ;)

Can spring be far behind?

fowler3
    it's flat as a pancake. WTG Clint!

Hey! That looks like my car!

fowler3
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    Pensacola, FL to be exact. Nice, warm, sunny, average day, in Florida. ;)
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    well not that bad, but read his thread here:

http://www.protegeclub.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2- 1201
    The roads here in MD are a total MESS from all the snow. Now it's raining like crazy. Will Mother Nature ever let up? I have about 3" of water in my basement now thanks to all the snow trying to melt, in addition to the rain. Ahh, the joy of owning an old house...

The roads are FULL of potholes now! I hit 2 next to each other tonight, and I thought I was going to break one of my wheels off in it! The crappy thing, also, is that MD will not pay for damage to your car due to their poor roads. A friend caused $1200 in damage to her Cavalier from hitting a not-so-secure grate in a parking lot. It came out of her insurance.

I hope spring comes soon, I am tired of all this cold, snow, ice, and rain!
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Looks like you had a great time!
    BTW, anyone hear anything more about the Mazda driving school?
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    look at from the service department's viewpoint: how are going to feed the babies when damn japanese cars never break?

Answer: charge lots for whatever you can.

I feel for all you NE'ers. I grew up in PA and lived some in ChiTown. The flowers are blooming here [Portland OR] and I've already harvested 3 tomatos from my greenhouse.
  • jvkalrajvkalra Member Posts: 98
    I'm helping a friend buy a compact car, and he's down to the Protege and Civic. Both of us think the Protege has many advantages (roomier, more powerful engine, folding mirrors, etc) but he likes the weighted steering feel of the Civic, and thinks it's a little more fun to drive in the city than the Protege. Maybe the term to use here is that Civic has more understeer?

I'm not trying to start a Protege/Civic comparision. But was just wondering if anyone on this board has had a chance to drive both and has comments re: the handling of the Civic/Protege at low speeds (20-50) mph.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    but he likes the weighted steering feel of the Civic

Wow, never thought I'd hear when a Honda was being compared to a Mazda.

Mazda typically has the best steering feel of the Japanese makes.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    We have both in our family. I have a 2001 Protege ES and my brother has a 2002 Civic EX. I don't know how a Civic has a more "weighted steering feel" than a Protege. In fact, it's quite the opposite. The Protege's steering is heavier and more weighted than my brother's Civic and it also has a fatter steering wheel that feels better than the Honda's. I'd say that the Protege has the edge in handling also. (Protege ES vs Civic EX) Around town? The Protege has a much torquier engine and is faster around town if you don't like to wring your engine out. I'm not saying the Civic is slow, it just isn't as responsive at low speeds around town. IMO, your freind has it backwards. The Protege is more fun to drive than the Civic. The Civic is more efficient. Go to the Car and Driver website and read the comparisons.
    Pros of the PRO:

Interior: Materials and quality (ES/P5)
    Value (Features for $)
    Suspension (firm, but oh so good in turns, although a little too harsh for many on bumpy roads)
    Braking w/ABS w/EBD
    Price and financing rates
    Warranty

For around town the PRO is great. If buying a 5spd, the Honda's should better, but for auto trannies, I think they're on par. For highway cruising, the PRO has a shorter gearing so it will be louder, but I compensate for that with the stereo (CD on ALL trims BTW, 6 speakers on the ES).

The PRO feels small so it is tossable and tons of fun (for me at least). I had a Civic before and while I loved it, only the 98 Audi A4 2.8L that I drove last week made me smile as much as the PRO does.

The PRO has "road feel", something you can't exactly measure, but when you smile while driving, you know you bought the right car.

Oh yeah, and it has a big trunk too :)
    And standard 16" alloys, spoiler and ABS on the ES trim (at least in Canada it does).

Dinu
    But the Protege is a much cheaper car right now. And around town it's a dream to scoot around. If you do a lot of highway driving you might want to test it there. The engine can be a little raucous at higher RPM.
    My choice for an around the town car would be the Protege though.
    I would also like to recommend the Civic SI. It's like a 2 door hatch Protege. Tight handling, high seating position, great steering, 30's gas mileage, but the 2.0 in the Civic has balance shafts so it's a much nicer highway companion.
    "Don't sit back there. It's the Protegé's driver seat that always treats you right."

... and, of course ...

"A four-door Miata."

Love ya Car and Driver!!!

Meade
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    Civic steering is more heavier and weighted? More fun to drive in the city? Are you sure your friend does not confuse between the Monda and the Hazda, sorry Mazda and Honda? It's exactly the opposite, I would think, and by far!

The Civic is only better for two things: in fuel economy and resale value.

Bruno

PS: I own the previous Civic ES (97) and testdrove the new one when it came out (there is indeed very little that differentiate them, beside the fact that the new one has a flat floor in the back, even a worse rear suspension design, and few more (3?) hp (it doesn't feel that obvious).
  • h109h109 Member Posts: 36
    then you should check mine. :-)

my pro's steering is sooo heavy that it's difficult to make a sharp turn with one hand. i even had the service people check it out. on contrary, my friend's civic (2000 model) feels so light, i have to check myself when making turns or passing. but the pro's steering itself looks and feels so good to hold with the faux leather effects.

IMHO, the civic has two disticnt advantages - mileage and re-sale value. In "most" other things, Pro is the BETTER ;-). (no flames please!!!) especially, as a driver's car.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    after putting in fatter BFG tires 205/55 that do not have as rigid a sidewall as re-92 195/55

but i love that heavy feel
    There's still frozen snow in my wheel wells that I can't get out and my rear suspension makes horrible noises when the car hits a bump.

I think the springs have ice in them (in between) and are not able to contract/expand as necessary. The car rides really bad! Very stiff at tghe back. Actually I think the rear might bounce a bit.

I'll have to take it to a car wash and see if I can use the high pressure washer to melt that ice.

The car sounds horrible! I'm not exaggerating at all. Sounds like the whole suspension is shot. The owner is also sick BTW.

Dinu
  • stupidcarstupidcar Member Posts: 8
    what color do you think looks best on the protege? i think silver looks really good, but black looks good too. what colors do you guys have?
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I have a silver 2001 ES. I think black looks best, but I would never have another black car. My Integra was black. It looked really sharp at night, but in the day you could see every single little scratch and nick. It bugged the crap out of me. I also really like the dark green and dark red color because you hardly see any of those. I had to get silver though after having both a dark green and a black car. Dark colors aren't good at looking clean and hiding imperfections. My 2 year old silver Protege still looks brand new. A black one wouldn't.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I like to say that my black Pro still looks like new when it's washed. It's 1.5 yrs old.

Dark colours (not just black) show dirt and scratches easily. Silver is great for hiding imperfections.

That said, I love my black mica Pro :D
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    you all know what color is THE BEST Protege color, EVAR

MIDNIGHT BLUE OWNZ YOU ALL!!!

:-D
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    I'm quite fond of my classic red '99es