Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Be sure to check out our Town Hall chat lineup for Tuesday evenings... First up, talk the latest in new automotive technology during the Hybrid Vehicles Chat from 5-6pmPT/8-9pm ET

Hybrid Vehicles Chat Room

Immediately following at 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET, we keep the chat party going with the Mazda Mania chat.

Mazda Mania Chat Room

The Town Hall chats are a great place to take these message board topics LIVE. Hope to see you there this week!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • riopelleriopelle Member Posts: 132
    Hi Pro folks.

My P5 is at 32,000 miles and will be 3 yrs old nex week. Mazda recommends a 3 yr/30k maintenance that includes flushing the engine and replacing the spark plugs, amongs other things, totally about $350. I have reservations that an engine would need new plugs this quick since most engines don't need a tune-up until 100k, Any advice?

Does the new 2.3 in the 3 have the same maintenance schedule? I am tempted to save the bucks and put them toward a new 3 if my P5 really needs this,

Thanks everyone.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    is a very reasonable price.

yes sparkplugs you are suppose to replace every 30k on this car. Spark plug is a 'wear item', like the air filter, and as such, require replacement on a shorter interval.

changing spark plugs is not an 'engine tuneup', IMO

besides if you think it's so expensive to do, go ahead and buy the plugs at the dealer and replace it yourself. really REALLY easy on the Protege5 :)
    Protege spark plugs (made by NGK) are like $3 each at the dealer, IIRC...
  • riopelleriopelle Member Posts: 132
    I appreciate your advice, I'm a novice under the hood - nothing beyond than changing the oil. I'll teach myself spark plugs next. The replacing of the spark plugs is just part of what they are calling a "tune-up". I've been quoted as high as $560 for this maintenance, so I'll go for it at $350 place and keep the P5 until the Mazdaspeed 3 comes out. :-)
    for the 30k maintenance, is to look in your owner's manual. It has a chart showing what should be replaced, and what only needs inspection, and replace/repair if necessary.

you'd be surprised that quite a few items in the chart is a very easy DIY job :-)
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    My Pro LX delivered 35-36mpg and exemplary service, as usual.

I was happy to have had my iPod along for entertainment. I think I've had my fill of driving for a while....2-3 days maybe. :)
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    What kind of speed? If you say you got that running 85+ I bow down to your car. :)
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Be sure to get a little tube of antseize compound to dab on the threads of your plugs. That will make it much easier to install the plugs, and to remove them again at some future date.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I don't drive that fast, unless I need to do so to keep up with prevailing traffic (like around Detroit...they drive awful fast for how terrible the road surfaces are). The Protege's just not that aerodynamic, and its top gear isn't that tall either. But I'm happy enough with the numbers, which I got while averaging 70mph, give or take a little depending on traffic. There were a few hard accelerations thrown in there, but only a few.

I don't use cruise control much either. I use it so I can work out the kinks in my right foot every now and then. Beats using my left foot or a brick. :)
  • drummdrumm Member Posts: 16
    After the news of the upcoming Mazdaspeed 6 coming out w/ a twin-turbo four banger, the following question came to my head:

Exactly how durable are turbo engines? I've never own a turbo car but I hear that they (A4 1.8, Saab, ect) are not very durable.

Are turbo engines high maintenance?

Seeing that the Mazdaspeed 6 has a turbo and rumors are flying about a turbo engine on the Mazdaspeed 3 It just makes me wonder about a turbo engine.

Thanks in advance,
    Drumm
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi drumm - I see you've cross-posted this message in our Mazda3 and our Mazda6 discussions. I'm going to ask folks who might have a response for you to go to one of those to post.

We don't need to have this conversation in three discussions, after all. :)

Thanks.
  • platzmanplatzman Member Posts: 1
    any one have the 2000 manual? I just bought a 2000 lx (auto) and it did not come with the manual

platzman
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Go to mazdausa.com, register for "my mazda" (no charge), exit and then re-enter web site, click on "my mazda", click on "my vehicle", click on "owner's manual" and you will find your exact manual available for downloading.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Yeah, I drive a 2000 ES and I have the manual. Whaddaya need?

Meade
    I wonder how my 2005 Mazda3 will be doing at this point.

Meade
    dang that's a lot of miles

mine's only got 49k :-)

but the relationship with my Protege may be ending soon.... stay tuned...
    Meade
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Yeah, you become Ms. Daffron. But we're talking cars here.

Hank, we need details, man, details.
    Sick 'im Pat!!!

I was talking about my plan to purchase a Mazda3 next May, funny face.

Just kidding. :)

Meade
    Well, the only other place he's posted recently was the RX-8 discussion ...
  • jjayantjjayant Member Posts: 3
    My '98 Pro trunk release has broken, (seems the cable broke inside). The problem is the car didnt had the trunk lock in working condition when i bought it, so i can not open the trunk now.. showed it to a local mechanic, they told me its a half day job. and may cost $200 or more..Is this cable replacement so dificult and expensive?? Please share if you had similar experience. What would be the most effective way of resolving this..Thanks
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    Hello all, haven't posted here in a while. My Protege's doing great at 81,000 miles. I just did another upgrade. I replaced the tiny 9.3" rotors on my LX Protege to the ES rotors/calipers which are 10.2" I love my brakes now. If anyone's interested in doing this job, check my how-to I posted.

http://www.morrownet.net/negatize/brakes/
  • yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    Haven't posted here in going on a couple years.
    It has 52K (not 56 as stated elsewhere)and I have to say if I had to do it over again I would. Its been a great little car for the $$.
    One problem I have thats not Mazda's fault is the crappy braking I've had since doing the 1st 4 wheel brake job at 34K. Are there better than oem calipers, pads, and rotors that would bolt on? I'm looking at a 4 wheel brake job only if I can find better components. Any input greatly appreciated.
    The new Mazda 6 looks good with its 220 hp engine. However about the time I dropped out of this forum, one of the hot topics was the dreaded ford content issue. That would make me leery of any new Mazda's. Just look at the Mazda Tribute as an example.
    Yooper 53
    What year was the Protege discontinued?
    is the last year of the 3rd gen Protege (and the Protege name)

2004 begins the Mazda3 era...
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    And there was much rejoicing! Still love my 03 DX though.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I actually like the 99-03 Protege better than the new Mazda3. The ONLY thing that lessened our love for the Pro was the 2.0L engine.
    What do you mean by crappy braking? Is there too much play in the pedal?

When was the last time your brakes were bled? If its been over a year, I'd get them flushed and bled. If there's air in your system, it means a super mushy pedal.

You can order better performing pads, such as the KVR Carbon Fibre pads from Corksport, or some Stainless steel brake lines replacing the stock rubber lines. The lines will give you a firmer pedal.
    Under moderately heavy braking at speed lots of front end vibration. Enough that passengers have asked about it. The steering wheel even vibrates. This after only 16K since the front brake job. I'm seriously considering a 4 wheel brake job if I can get better than oem rotors AND calipers. Not high performance stuff, just better than oem.
    Yooper 53
    Nothing like a spongy pedal though. That's an easy fix.
    Yooper 53
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    I love the 2.0 engine. Plenty of torque, nice 4-cylinder growl. Its a bit thirsty, but otherwise makes a very pleasant companion.
    It was a terrific companion around town. Second only to our 02+ Si's. It was the highway relationship that caused our divorce from the Protege. It just seemed to make more noise than power when going above 70 MPH.

However, it was a great handler with good looks and a nice looking interior (even though the plastics were hard).
  • bluem6ibluem6i Member Posts: 77
    Meade, it is time for new tires, out with the Potenza's (or your term Poortenza's) and probably on with the BFG's. Only problem is I don't remember which ones you got (and are you still happy with them?).

The locals BJ's Club has the BFG Touring T/A VR's in a plus zero 205/55/15 (OEM is 195/55/15) for 83.99 each. Seeing as tires and/or brakes seem to liven up this thread, let's discuss.

Thanks,
    Joe

P.S. - ok, I did a search (that was easy) and found that these are the tires you bought. I noticed that BFG no longer makes them, however the discount clubs still carry them. Any idea how long they've be discountinued for?
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Good to see ya!!

Did you make it to chat tonight? If not, you should join us some time.
    Yeah, they've been discontinued -- for a few months. The tires BFG brought out to "replace" them are the Traction T/A VR4s. They also make them in HR and TR speed ratings. We put a set on my wife's Protege5 back in late June and so far they're great tires. Look them up at tirerack.com if you want some more info. If I was going to keep my car to the point where I'd need new tires for it again, there's no doubt I'd buy these.

As for the set of Traction T/A VR4s on Tammy's car, we were in a hurry since Tammy had had a blowout of one of her aging Falken Ziexs and I was going out of town for four days. With no time to do the Tirerack order-'n-wait method, we paid a smidge more than going the Tirerack route and got the tires at Sears. It just happened to be one of those "use your Sears Premier Card and save 10% on anything" days, so the tires, which were already on sale ($4 off -- whoopie) for $104, were only $94 each. Total cost installed (and these were 205/50-16s if memory serves) was about $450. They have a very good treadwear rating, they're warranted for 60K miles (but we all know about tire warranties, don't we), but the real eye-opener is the UTQG traction rating of AA.

BTW, I've found that tires.com (Discount Tire Direct) offers better deals since they don't charge shipping. You can tack at least $5 per tire on top of Tirerack's prices since you have to pay shipping. We ordered Tammy's Falken Ziexs from there and had excellent results -- the tires were sitting on our side porch three days later -- I just wish I could say the Falkens, which lasted only 18K miles despite regular rotations and balancings, gave us as much good service.

One other thing I've learned: Costco can order just about any tire you want and it will be there in two or three business days. Then they can install it, and if you're a member, you get free tire rotations AND balancing as long as you own the tires. One other thing a lot of people don't seem to know -- even if you didn't buy your tires from Costco, you can still take your car there and have them rotated for free (as long as you're a member). They will charge you $5 per tire to balance them though.

I bought my current set of BFG Touring T/A VR4s from Costco about 20,000 miles ago, and they're doing pretty well. They probably have about half of their tread left on them, and I have them rotated and rebalanced every 5,000 miles or so. I'm planning to make them last until next May when I trade the car for a Mazda3 at about 92,000 miles.

Meade
    They came in first in Tirerack's comparo between them and the Goodyear Eagle RS-A (er, yuck), Yokohama Avid V4, and the Bridgestone Potenza RE950.

If you go to Tirerack's website and get to the Traction T/A VR4's page, click on "tests" and read. It was a pretty thorough track test.

Meade
    Thanks for all the info Meade, I am going to buy the Touring T/A's (83.99 per - includes everything except taxes) at BJ's vs. the Traction T/A's (90.99 per - plus mounting/balancing/valve stems - does not include hazard warranty) at Sears.

I checked the tread depth on the "poortenza's" and I'm down to 2/32's on the right side tires and we are definitely in the rainy season in central FL. Also, my 16 y/o daughter get's her license next month, so safety is paramount.

Joe
    Also be sure to check in with Connor in our Ask Connor at the Tire Rack discussion. He has been a tremendous help to our members in sorting out all the zillions of permutations of tire choices. :)
    Sounds like your front rotors are warped.
    Zoomster (2000 ES 5-speed) will turn 80,000 miles on the way home from work today.

Just goes to show ...

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!!!

Meade
    Wow Meade - that's impressive. :)
    (Actually Zoomster thanks you!)

Yep, he's proudly displaying 80,010 on his odo in the deck this morning.

Where the heck is everyone? Surely they didn't all trade their Proteges on 3s so quickly?

(No they didn't ... and don't call me Surely!!!)

Captain Over
    Meade,
    Thanks for the suggestion and info on the BFG Touring T/A's. I put 4 on last Friday and am very pleased with them so far. We have had nearly 10 inches of rain since i got them and they have performed flawlessly. I am finding the dry traction to be better than the Potenza's as well (although I'm not sure if the "plus zero" size has anything to do with that).

Joe
    This forum is quite different now than it was in it's heydey.
    I just had to re-enter a post I had made and checked on later yesterday over on the Problems & Solutions discussion. Now I come here and find the reply I made to anonymousposts yesterday is gone too.

There was nothing that could be considered a Town Hall Member Agreement VIOLATION in either post.

What ... IS ... the deal, Pat? Do I get two get-out-of-MA-violations-free cards for this?

:)

Meade
    See the message at the top of the page.
    Well, I plead masculinity. You know, when all else fails, read the instructions.

:)

Meade
  • dsodso Member Posts: 14
    I'm looking for 2002 or 2003 Proteges. I saw a 2002 Protege LX today and was disappointed that its (beige) upholstery had the "fuzzy" feel, like you get in past & present Civics & Corollas. I'd much prefer a flat "woven" feel, like my 1991 Protege DX has or like all the Mazda3's seem to have.

Do any late-model Proteges have non-fuzzy fabric?
    Try a Protege ES. It had upgraded cloth interior although it's only available in black IIRC.