Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    The body shop said it was 12-1300 to get a new hood, paint it and blend it to the fenders. Blend it? My god, the car's not even 1 year old.

Maybe I should just buy a $500 carbon fiber hood!
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    from DGMotorsports:

http://www.dgmotorsports.com/processtype.asp?ProductID=50-61-1001- -P&ProcessType=1

they make very high quality parts, and the price reflects it.

IIRC, APC (yes the 'tuner' APC) also makes a OEM replacement carbon fiber hood for the 01+ Protege, and for around $500 too!

check with your local Pep Boys for more info (Pep Boys is an official vendor for APC, imagine that, lol)
    check out www.cardomain.com and search around, I bet there are quite a few with them on it :-)
  • ghostbuster23ghostbuster23 Member Posts: 43
    No offense to anyone who likes them, but I think they look pretty bad. Two color cars never caught on for a good reason.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I don't dig it much either. Just might be the easy way out of my predicament. As long as my cars are clean and the panels fit I don't much care what the vehicle looks like on the outside. It could be purple...it's all about how it feels when I'm driving it.
    you know you CAN primer and paint carbon fiber hoods as well.....
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hello,i have a 03 pro es with the dunlop tires and iam finding that i have to add atleast 2 pounds of air preasure to each of the tires on a monthly basis to maintain 32 pounds in each tire.could this be due to my not driveing the car very often which i don't or is it simply the nature of the tires to loose a little air every now and then.
    where does the car sit while not driven, outside under the sun or in a garage?

not driving it often *may* have something to do with it, but it may just be slow leaks from the tires.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Don't sweat it. Now, if you were losing that each day, I'd worry.

I check and adjust the tires our our cars every 2 wks. Seems to be a good interval that keeps track with the weather well too.
  • drummdrumm Member Posts: 16
    Took my 02 ES Protege to change the oil and filter at my Mazda dealer. Dealer said that it is TIME to replace the front break pads and rotors.

I am a liiiitle suspicious, as that seems like not enough miles to have to change the breaks (for $289) And, the breaks do not squeak at all.

Any comments? Thanks

Drumm
    i assume it's just for the fronts right?

actually, it's not surprising. Protege pads grip really well for stock brake pads, but has a relatively short life as a result.

I changed mine at around 37k as well, and when I took it out, man, talk about wearing thin! I was glad I changed it before the metal shims start grinding against the rotors :-)

not sure how skilled are you mechanically, but maybe you can get the pads from the parts dept and change it yourself?
    Yes I was reffering to the front pads. Well, knowing that you changed yours at 37K makes me feel more at ease with changing mine at 33K.

I am not really mechanically skilled, nor do I think I have the proper equipment to change them myself. Looks like I will be back at the dealer... rgh!! Oh well, it's only $295. Thanks for the advice the_big_h
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Changed mine at 30k.
    Yes I was reffering to the front pads. Well, knowing that you changed yours at 37K makes me feel more at ease with changing mine at 33K.

I am not really mechanically skilled, nor do I think I have the proper equipment to change them myself. Looks like I will be back at the dealer... rgh!! Oh well, it's only $295. Thanks for the advice the_big_h
  • repjrepj Member Posts: 14
    I have a 99 protege ES with standard transmission. I have just over 36K miles on it. When I am in first or second gear and I am not accelerating, I hear a whining. I don't remember hearing that whining until a couple months ago. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    Hello

My 03 Protege DX automatic started knocking ever so slightly when accelerating hard on uphill passes. Any ideas?

Also, my front pads went out at 18K, or more accurately, the right side one did, the left still had about 20%. I was VERY dissappointed in that interval.
    Many reasons could cause the knocking. Inspect your spark plugs for signs of carbon deposits, which can create hot spots that can cause premature ignition. Also check the gaps to make sure they're within spec. Carbon can build up on the other surfaces that aren't wiped by the piston rings, so I'd try using a fuel additive to clean these deposits out. It might take a tankful or two of gas to do this.

You could also try driving it at high rpms on the freeway for a while. This usually burns off most of the residue.

That is pretty quick for pads to wear. I got 45k out of mine before I replaced them (about 25-30% wear left), but I don't drive much on hills and avoid hard or prolonged braking when I can. Wear rate depends a lot on your driving style and environment (for instance, if your brakes often get surface rust from condensation, this will cause more wear, rust being more abrasive than the unrusted rotor material).
  • civiletticiviletti Member Posts: 86
    Hasve you ever changed the tranny oil? If not, have it replaced with synthetic gear lube and see if that helps.
  • repjrepj Member Posts: 14
    Thanks Civiletti,

I have never touched the transmission oil. I thought that was something you left alone for 100,000 miles.

What is with this newsgroup? Back in 2000 there would be 50 posts a day!
    When new toys become old toys, kids lose interest.
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    Has anybody performed a collant flush on Protege? I am planning to flush the radiator on my 2000 ES this weekend and wanted to find out if there is anything special I need to know.

I just finished flushing the radiator on my Rodeo and stumbled into some unexpected problems - couldn't drain the whole thing through the radiator.

Is Protege designed so that everything will be drained when I open the radiator drain plug? On rodeo, I had to disconnect the hose from the heat exchanger and literally blow the wather in the system through the radiator to push all the old antifreeze out of the system.

Not very environmentally friendly, so I prefer not to do it again if I can get around it.

Any suggestions are appreciated!!!
    I had a mechanic friend do mine, so I don't know.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I've been AWOL from here for a couple of weeks. A few notes to catch up:

1. My 2000 ES 5-speed now has 83,200 miles on it, making it the "oldest" of the four Proteges I've owned. (My 1992 LX had just turned 83K when I traded it.) It's running just fine, by the way. (That's what keeping up with your recommended maintenance schedule does for ya.)

2. I'm on my second set of front brakes and my second set of rears. (And it's BRAKES, not "breaks," BTW, people!!!) I made the fronts go as long as I could, and changed everything at about 50K.

3. No squeaks or whining from my transmission. I am on my second clutch/throwout bearing/flywheel set, but this is only because of a TSB on cold chatter that came out. When they removed my old set about 10K miles ago, they said it hardly looked worn at all. So for all intents and purposes, I could still be on my first set. (I've had more than a half-dozen manual-tranny cars in my lifetime and I've never replaced a clutch, even though most of them have clocked over 100K miles. My last vehicle, a 1994 B2300 pickup, was at 117K on its first clutch when I traded it on the 2000 Protege in May 2000.)

4. Still looking at April or May 2005 for my 2005 Mazda3. By that time my Protege will have clicked over 90K miles (probably 92K or so), and by that time I'll be facing needing a new windshield (or repairing the ding in mine), plus new tires and new front brake pads for my May state inspection. Plus, 90K means another major service @ $300. And 90K is getting close to the 105K change time on my timing belt. Soooo.. I'd rather put the thousand bucks-plus that I'd need to do all this maintenance into a down payment on a 3 hatch. Heck, I'll even get a little pittance of value from the 8K miles left on my 100,000-mile extended warranty -- a pittance, but still enough to buy a burger on the way home from buying the 3!

Everyone OK? Good. See you in another few weeks.

Meade

P.S. Maybe the fact that the Protege ISN'T MADE ANYMORE has something to do with the level of participation in this discussion, no? Go look at the activity on the 3 discussions. That's what Protege looked like in (sniff) its heyday (whimper, sob).
    So is my Pro. :)

Still milking my tires for a couple more weeks before the really wet weather arrives. I probably got the most miles out of my Dunlop SP Sport A2s out of anyone here (35000 miles and counting).

I'll be waiting to see what the Mazda5 is like, since Mazda decided not to bring their MX-Micro over here. :(

In its current state, there is no 3 for me, nice a vehicle as it is. I just don't fit well into it w/o an 8-way seat.
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    I have 30K on my ES and it looks like the pads can go to 60. The Dunlops should have at least another 10K. I recommend "optimized brake use" driving on your commute, which is what I practice. After years of driving this route I know the congested stretches and I lag behind the tailgaters easing off the accelerator when I see red lights ahead. When the traffic eases, I speed up. My goal on the commute is not to use brakes till I get to the exit. Of course this doesn't sit well with the others on the road...
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    no post! Good to see you.

My 2001 Pro LX just rolled over to 20,000 last week, three and half years after buying it. Runs good, no problems. About ready for tires, though they still have some tred. I was thinking today, IF I replace them with tires rated for twice the mileage it will be seven years before they would be replaced.

"When new toys become old toys, kids lose interest."
    Or they have too many toys. ;)

The 3s are selling and have taken our guys!

fowler3
  • rbrooks3athomerbrooks3athome Member Posts: 31
    I owned my 2002 Protege ES 5spd for only a few months because my left knee began locking up due to cartilage damage. Anyway, I had to sell it. Now, a few years down the road, I'm in the market for a car again. Because I'm not too fond of the Mazda3 lines, I'm considering an '02-03 ES or '02-03 Pro5. The car would have to be auto because of continuing knee problems. When I bought my '02ES they were just coming out with the 2002.5 model of the Pro5 that had the sport auto.
    1)My first question is, did the sport auto come in the Pro ES as a mid-2002 item? If it did, I can consider both models.
    2)My second question is this: Did Mazda ever actually sell a turbo kit for the 2.0 Pro and Pro5? I've checked MazdaUsa.com but there's no info.
    3) Lastly, anyone with the sport auto care to chime in with your impressions? I've never owned an auto before and while the sport auto is nothing like the SMG or like transmissions, it at least invites some input from the driver. So, for those of you that have it, what's it like?

Thanks.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    rbrooks: You may want to consider a pre-owned (or new) Camry. They have more room therefore comfort level may be higher than that in the Protege. In my area you can get a new 05 LE for around $15,900. YOu should be able to find a great deal on a pre-owned.
    1. Yes, all post-2002.5 Protege ES sedans have the sport auto with manual shift mode. It's only available on the Protege5 and the ES sedan though.

2. Mazda never officially sold a factory turbo kit that owners can buy from dealers and bolt onto their regular Proteges. However, in 2003, Mazda came out with the Mazdaspeed Protege, which came installed with a 170hp turbocharged engine, along with a whole bunch of performance modifications. But it only came in a 5 speed manual transmission, so that's out of question for you.

3. I'd just save your money on the sport auto and get a LX with a traditional automatic, unless you want the additional features that come with an ES. In the end it's still just a slushbox automatic.
    you should be able to pick up a 02.5 ES sedan for around 12k now...
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    Even here in Chicago, for some reason ES are hard to find.
  • adironcaadironca Member Posts: 1
    Just tested a 97 Protege LX 2.0. Everything was fine except the gas pedal was little hard to press: that is, if I pressed softly, the car hardly move; but if I pressed harder, it gave me a sudden accelarate.

Is this a problem because of age or is pedal adjustable? How much money needed to fix it?
    throttle wire may be sticking a little.
    ZOOM ZOOM!!!

Meade
    (84,400 now)
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    It has indeed been a long time. I'm surprised you have so few miles on yours. And you need new tires so soon? Did you have the Dunlops? My excuse for having only 30K in 3+ yrs is that I still drive my 256K 82 VW diesel to work most days. No problems so far - rock solid car. Have flirted with the thought of selling it to raise cash and perhaps buy another car in a few years.
  • janslorjanslor Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys,

I'm new to this group. I just bought a used 2000 Protege LX. Wanted a Mazda 3 (being my very first car and all) but I'm a little tight on the budget. Why'd you guys chose a Mazda intead of a Honda or a Toyota? I'm actually debating on these 3 makes and ended up with a mazda.

Janslor
  • oskwioskwi Member Posts: 88
    I researched many, many cars and decided on a 2001 ES because of its high Japanese parts content and past reliability records. I also put my mother in a 2003 ES (brand new in summer of 2003).

I avoided the Honda because some of my friends had transmission problems (Accords and Civics)...unheard of for Honda until recently. Toyota had some engine sludging problems, and from some previous research, some of the newer Corollas are needing entire engine replacements at very low miles...again, unheard of until recently. News like this sends shivers up my spine!

All in all, I am very pleased with the reliability of both cars. I find myself fixing things on the 2001 that were poorly taken care of by the last neglectful owner...certainly not the fault of the car. The 2003 has 30,000 miles on it and has never been back to the dealer to correct anything...not even a minor squeak or rattle. My mother came from Chevrolets, Buicks and Cadillacs and vows to never "go back"!

Good luck with your purchase and keep in touch on the Mazda boards.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I bought a Protege in 07/01 because it looked good on paper and in person. It was a good deal ($15,000 and 0.0% for a ES 5-speed) and it looked good. It also drove greaat until you got to speeds over 70. Then the engine just got to buzzy for me. I traded the Protege and went back to Hondas. It was reliable in the 10,000 miles I owned it and if you never drive on the highway or above 70 then the engine would probably never bother you.

I don't like the Corolla because of the driving position and the rear axle.
  • bluem6ibluem6i Member Posts: 77
    For the ZOOM ZOOM factor! These cars are fun to drive. They handle like they're on rails around corners. They aren't the fastest in their class and don't get the best fuel mileage either, but they are FUN to drive. And they are extremely reliable and down right cheap to buy. They are more like a little sports car than a cheap econo box.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A newspaper reporter is looking for vehicle shoppers and recent buyers age 20-29 who live in either the Atlanta or Raleigh-Durham area. If you're willing to talk about your vehicle preferences and shopping experience, please send an e-mail to jfallon@edmunds.com with your age, location, and contact info by December 13, 2004. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I took it easy on them for the first couple hundred miles after having them installed a few weeks ago. Now I'm starting to take turns a bit faster.

Compared to my last set of tires (Dunlop SP Sport A2), they seem to:

roll a bit more quietly
    dampen road impacts better
    hydroplane at a slightly lower speed (when new)
    respond a little less quickly to lateral inputs
    hold on just as well in dry turns, a bit less in wet turns
    roll over onto sidewalls a little more gradually, but more easily

I've not pushed them hard enough to elicit 4-wheel drifts yet (not recommended if long tire wear is important to you), as I did a few times with the Dunlops. I'll wait for next spring for that. The roads are a bit too slick to attempt something like that these days. Although, it is easier to do. :)

I'd say overall they are a little more "touring" than the Dunlops were, but are still plenty "performance" for me. I'll see how they hold up long-term. I put on over 37k miles on the Dunlops (more than most have reported here); they could have gone another 3-5k miles until the tread wore down to the wear bands, but I'm not risking that little tread with winter coming up. I've not put on enough miles to judge impact on fuel economy, but I was getting a long-term average of 31-32mpg on the Dunlops.
    No brainer. I'd owned two 1992 LXs, one of which saved my life in a hydroplaning accident. And both (the first one up until its demise at 28,000 miles, and the second until I traded it at 83,000 miles) were completely and totally trouble-free.

My current Protege, a 2000 ES 5-speed, just crossed 85,000 miles this morning. My wife drives a 2002 Protege5 with just over 40,000 miles on it.

Mazda makes small cars that buck the "appliance car" trend. They're a blast to drive, and my little Zoomster still makes me smile all the time.

They also fit us "big and tall" guys much better than Civics and Corollas, at least from my large butt's point of view.

My next car? No brainer there as well. Ol' Zoomster's going out to pasture next May, when he'll be replaced (well, he can never really be REPLACED) by a 2005 Mazda3.

ZOOM ZOOM!

Meade
    A word of advice ...

Most of us usually check all the Protege discussions when we look at the Town Hall ... so there'll be no need to cross-post future questions on three discussions!

Posting on just one discussion not only makes it easier for us to answer you; it also makes it easier for you to find all the responses when you come back!

Welcome!

Meade
  • oskwioskwi Member Posts: 88
    Hey Meade...Long time, no read...your posts that is!

I went and looked at the new Mazda3 hatch last week and really liked it. I also sat in the new Kia Spectra5 and absolutely hated it! (This dealership does Mazdas, Kias and Lexuses) If you're looking for leg room, AVOID the Spectra5. With the seat all the way back, my knees were hitting the steering wheel! (I'm approximately 5'11'')

Anyway, my only initial complaint with the M3 is the arduous process of removing the back "shelf" to fully utilize the hatch cargo room. The piece seemed cheap and prone to breakage. Also, I'm still a little concerned with the A/C performance issues...they appear to have been worked out, but it's difficult to say.

So, needless to say, I may keep the 2001 ES a little bit longer. I'm rather frustrated with myself that I didn't pursue a P5 near the end of their run when they were doing their cash back incentives. Finding a good used one, or even a bad used one, is next to impossible!

Keep us posted as to your future purchase thoughts.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    The Falkens should be great in the rain. They were amazingly good for the first 15k miles. In the last 5k wear has increased exponetionally and I'll be replacing them this weekend.

Looks like I'm going the Meade endorsed BF Goodrich route. I need something that will get me through winter and wear a little better.
    According to Consumer Reports, the M6 has poor reliablity. I wonder if the M3 will suffer the same weakness. That would be sad. My '99 pro es has done quite well.

Good to see some old-timers around.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Consumer Reports rated the Mazda 3 as reliable and the best of the breed (economy sedans) in a recent issue. The Mazda6 rating, which came afterwards, was a surprise to many of us, as a result.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    Hi Mazdafun... just read your post now... my 1994 Protege DX which I bought back from my aunt still had the Dunlop A2s that I purchased back in 95. She put around 61K miles on it. The tires were awful at that point and were making weird noises so I just replaced them with the Kumho Ecsta 716 tires.
    She must've been really easy on those tires. I think they're rated for 40,000 miles. She's the record so far.
  • cgrocho47cgrocho47 Member Posts: 12
    Hi all, I'd like to ask a question... Did every 2000 ES have keyless remote as standard equipment? The one I'm looking at doesn't have the fobs, but Edmunds mentions it as standard on the ES. Thanks!