Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

1748749750751752754»

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    BF Goodrich has discountinued the Traction T/A V in 195/55R15 size. This is one of the OEM sizes for the Protege and there has always been a limited selection in this size. Shame to lose one of the good choices.
    Grrrrrr....

If you really like this tire like I do and will need tires soon, may want to consider buying while there is remaining stock.
  • I am a newbee here. Went to post my own problem and saw yours. Don't know if this will help, but I too went around the same block as you did, after numerous repairs (alternator, battery/charging components). I live in CA and could not get a required Smog Certificate for CA State Registration renewal tags without first having the Check Engine light off. In the smog/emisson testing, indicator lights/monitors would not evidence, despite numerous retests required for the CE light to go off, despite numerous attempts to drive over 50 miles. After the 3rd test, CA law requires a visit to the State of CA Smog Check Referee Center of the Bureau of Automotive Repair. This official was extremely helpful in that he told me, "You could drive it a year and the CE light would not go off, until you successfully complete two procedures: (1) 15-step procedure for All Monitors - Highway Drive Cycle and (2) 7-step procedure for EGR Monitor." The procedures were grueling because you cannot step on the brake once or else you have to start all over again; and, the hardest part is finding a place to do the procedures to have enough distance to perform the steps (if you do it on the streets, it would be best for a secluded area, because you would get a ticket/citation otherwise, as well as completing one step requiring several minutes for driving at 40 mph, and without street lights or other cars getting in your way, causing you to stop the procedures mid stream (i.e.:"Accelerate moderately. Drive at 20-25 mph for 20 seconds. Increase speed to 40-55 for 85 seconds, then deaccelerate [this means without stepping on the brake] to 0 over 50 seonds. Idle 15 seconds]... and then go right into the next step without stopping." You won't be able to do it safely on a freeway either, as you can see, you would have to stop, deaccelerate and idle. It requires 2 people: The driver following instructions, and another person to read the steps out loud and use a stop watch. If either one of you mess up or another driver gets in your way, or the road is too short to complete the step without stopping, you'll have to start over. It took me 3 times to complete, revisit the Referee for one monitor at a time, then another for another monitor to register on his guage to meet the requirements, but it did work and the CE light finally went off with the code being reset permanently. If you think there is nothing else wrong with your car and the CE light will not go out and you live in CA, you might consider asking a smog check shop to refer you for an appoinment (another necessity )to the CA Referee's nearest office to get a copy of these procedures. Don't know if this is applicable, but posted in case it was of help. I also called a dealer to see if they could simulate the same procedures for me, but far to excessive in $$$'s vs. completing it myself. Can't really understand the why or reason for this, as when I had an alternator and battery replaced, I drove 50 miles and it went off. But, I'm not a mechanic, and although a harrowing experience, if I was able to do it after 3 tries, it is possible for anyone. Best wishes to you.
  • Hello...I recently just bought a 2001 Mazda Protege ES and I am having problems with the fog lights. The fuse closest to the driver side of the car keeps blowing. I have gone through 6 (15A) fuses. I try turning on the fog lights and they just flicker and go off which usually means the fuse has gone.

Any ideas? Or should I take to dealer?
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    I suggest that you take the Pro to a dealer. The previous owner may have added something to the electrical hookups or there may be some other overload that is causing the problem. You want to avoid a fire in the engine bay. And it would be a good idea to have a compitant mechanic check it over.

Fowler3
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    I am still driving my Protege LX and appreciate it every day. It just hit 40,000 miles so it's going to last a long time. I bought it April 16, 2001, the same month I joined Edmunds.com's forums.

Fowler3
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    I am still driving my Protege LX and appreciate it every day
    Ditto for my 2002 Protege5. Zoom on!
  • It's been ages since I posted but Aloha from Hawaii. I still have my 2001 LX 2.0 and have 42,000 miles and I too still appreciate my Mazda! I always keep the car clean, but recently applied Blackfire wax and now the Sand Mica has that mirror look! I also purchased my Mazda in April 2001. Enjoy your Mazda everyone!
  • Try the General Tire Exclaim UHP 195/55R15's. Thats what I will be riding in the spring after the THE BIG THAW of the Great Canadian Winter!

Here is the link
    http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T1/Exclaim-UHP
  • civiletticiviletti Posts: 86
    I wonder if any of the old-timers still visit here. Anyway, after 12 years of faithful service, my red '99 pro es went to my daughter and is replaced by a 2011 Mazda3i touring. I almost bought a Golf tdi [for $12,000 more], but believe I'll be happy with the 3. It may take some time to get used to the whale shark-looking front end, though.

After a few thousand miles, I'll compare the cars. I am amazed that I was able to buy a 12 year newer, roughly equivalent car for only $1500 more than the '99 pro cost.
  • cgibneycgibney Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I'm helping a friend shop for a reliable used car. We test drove a 2001 Protege (link below) that runs well. But it does burn a little oil. We were going to take it to a mechanic for a look-over, but wanted to hear any advice on buying a Protege with that many miles?

http://roanoke.craigslist.org/ctd/3029689457.html
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837
    You might post this in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion to get opinions on the price.

I had a Protege, earlier version than that, and I beat it all to heck mileage-wise, and it served me very well - cost very little in maintenance & repair. Every used car is different, but if the price is good and it runs well and has been reasonably well-maintained, you could end up with a nice little vehicle that's good on gas that still has a few good years left.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• alternatoralternator Posts: 545
    My personal opinion is that any car with that many miles should only be bought if the price is very low, and if you commit yourself to ditching the car at the first instance of any reasonably large needed repair. Don't hang on to it believing that that will be the only significant repair on the horizon.
  • gacoopergacooper Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 mazda protege. This car has taken me everywhere and i love this car. It has finally gave out. What had happened was when you take off, it wouldn't shift. So my dad and I had replaced the transmission. It ran but broke down a couple hours later when I took it for a test drive. Smoke was coming out from under the hood and it smelled like antifreeze. Check and it was fine. But when I was pulling over and just about to come to complete stop, the car just shut off. Thinking it was the fuel pump, we replaced it and when we started it, it sounded like it something wasn't catching. We bought a used engine and replaced the sparkplugs and still wouldn't start. We don't know what to do or what part it could be.