Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    SF: I am 6'3, so there's a bit of a difference. My best friend is about the same height as me, and the seats poke his back too. But my roommate is 5'11 and the seats are very comfortable to him. I don't get it. Of course, I have a bad back too, and none of the other people mentioned do.

Dave: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Focus merging with Protege? One of two things could happen with this venture. Either the Protege will go down in quality (hope not) or the Focus will go up (don't care). We shall see though.
  • dblenicklerdblenickler Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2000 Focus ZX3. I'm going to trade very soon. Some history: I owned a 323 in the late 80's - maybe the best new car I've ever owned. At the time, I compared Acura, Honda and Toyota comparable models and the 323 had all of 'em on features/value. Mazda just made it better when they introduced the Protege. I introduced my future wife to the Protege in 93 when she was shopping...the 93 LX has 160K plus on it and has survived two teenage drivers ( just barely). Yes, you can get 200K. Back to NOW... The ZX3 is going to be a great car in the future-maybe I just got a near lemon. Less than 9K on the car and it has had to have the steering rack replaced and a NEW dashpod ( the entire instrument cluster) plus all the recalls ( I've lost count). We almost bought a Mazda 626 last year(wife) - ended up with an Altima - good car.
    My question to you folks... (I know some of you live in the sloppy Northeast weather, just as I live in the great sloppy freeze/thaw of the upper Midwest)...I can a 01 Focus with traction control, stability control and ABS for roughly $15.6K , why should I go out and get a 01 Protege? ( Which I just may do)
  • curt3curt3 Member Posts: 101
    Well, I am a happy owner of a 2000 Mazda Protege LX with A/C and 5-speed. I must say, however, that I have gone through a few cars in the last few years. I have actually kept the Protege for 15 months now and I have no plans for dumping it. I have well over 30,000 miles on the odometer but I just like it too much to trade it.

Here goes my list of (impulse) purchases:

1991 Nissan Truck King Cab--bought used in 1993

1993 Ford Festiva--bought new in early '94 (great car, by the way).

1980 Toyota Corona--bought way used in 1994 (neat looking but a real money pit)

1995 Ford Aspire--bought new in 1995 (good car!)

1979 Buick Century Wagon aka "The Brute"--given to me by my brother, passed on to charity--great vehicle but I already had two cars.

1996 Nissan Truck King Cab--bought new in 1996 (become very troublesome, emissions problems galore, baffled mechanics, bought back by dealership--perhaps the only bad Nissan made in the 90's, I still miss the looks of it)

1998 Nissan Frontier--bought new in 1998, I love this truck and my wife still has it, only 4,700 dollars left on the payments.

1999 Kia Sephia--what was I thinking? traded in at a moderate loss on my current vehicle, you guessed it---

2000 Mazda Protege LX--great car, bought new in November of 1999.

Like you, unmarkedcar, I have blown a lot of money and have lost a lot more on trades. I am only 30 years old and have owned more cars than all of my brother combined. I think I have come to my senses now, even though I get the crazy itch to buy my wife a Miata. Good luck fellow Mazda owners, I hope that I post good news about hitting 100,000 miles in the next two years.
  • keithbob14keithbob14 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 92 Protege that I bought new in Jan. 93. It now has just over 125K on it, and has been a good car. I drive about 50 miles daily, get just around 30mpg (DX, auto). The main problem that I've had is numerous exhaust and brake repairs, more than my fair share. I've also replaced the front drive shafts, and just replaced the rear struts ($300!). I've sworn that this is the last coin I'm putting into it, and was set on buying a new civic. But the more research I do, the better the Protege sounds, with depreciation being the major drawback. The car has been a good one, with a great engine and tranny - no problems at all! I'm considering the civic LX or the Protege LX with the smaller engine, and probably the 5 speed. I'm sure I'll keep the car 3 years and maybe more, depending on how large my family grows. Both cars look good, and I'm looking to decide this next week. I guess I'm looking for some testimonial persuasion. Any help?
  • pcalvinpcalvin Member Posts: 44
    Are you going to keep the car as long as the '92 protege? If so, then the depreciation factor is nill to none if you have normal miles (100+). Then, it's probably fun vs. gas mileage. To me the Protege is just too much fun (while being a very reliable car) for the civic's better fuel economy and good reliability to overcome. They are both great cars, but (I guess what do you expect as this is a protege board) I'm a much greater fan of the Mazda.
  • hayrigonhayrigon Member Posts: 6
    My '00 ES (AT) has around 14,000 miles on it. Within the past 2 months my city driving average was 16-18 mpg range and I was wandering whether there was problem with the car .. however this past weekend I took it on a 850 miles trip and the average mpg turned out to be 27.5 (I was driving at 65-75 mph range).
    Couple of days ago my wife hit an iron bar in a parking lot while backing up. The left side of the rear bumper was badly scratched! I hate to drive the car with all these visible marks on!
    Since my deductible is $500 the insurance claim
    will not help.

Has anyone had a bumper painting job done on their Protege?? I am curious how much it would cost to have the bumper re-painted?!?

One other thing is: the door panel right under my left elbow started to wear out ! Seems like I have
    the habit of resting my elbow on the door .. but I have been driving various cars for the last 12 years and never had a problem like this ..
    I am thinking of asking my dealer to take a look at it .. and we'll see ??
    Besides these typical problems .. think my '00 ES
    is a great car that is fun to drive.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    ")...I can a 01 Focus with traction control, stability control and ABS for roughly $15.6K , why should I go out and get a 01 Protege?"

Go and test drive an '01 Focus. Then go test drive a Protege. When that is complete you will be a welcomed Protege owner.

:)
  • unmarkedcarunmarkedcar Member Posts: 162
    Hey guys, I have noticed that on start up, the engine will rev up and down. Has anyone seen this. My 2000 celica will do the same thing sometimes. Is this the way the car warms itself up?
  • abyezabyez Member Posts: 1
    I am looking forward to test the protege-5 wagon coming out this May. I dont want to go thru the endurance test of reading the past 260 messages :)
    So here goes my questions....

1) is the new 2.0L 130hp engine in any way related to FORD Focuses'? I know that it is from 626 but i am afraid of reliability problems like all Fords have.

2) I heard that Ford is gonna put Focus into the 2002 protege. is the new protege-5 wagon the initial transition? compare the protege-5 wagon with Focus wagon - I see some similarities in both their engine and exterior. I just dont wanna drive a focus-in-a-Protege.

3) for those current generation Protege owners! Please share all your complains about your car - please honestly share all the defects or short comings of Protege. honestly and without exagerations please :)

4) I did read the first 20 starting postings in this forum but was too tired to continue...Some owners complaint about tranny deffect...has this been fixed?

5) are the low-profile tires too noisy? I know i cant expect an econ-car to mute noises like a Lexus.

6) any rattles and squicks?? I know Honda manufactures cars with complimentary squickie and rattlie interior - free of charge :D

7) is it true that Ford is going to reduce the number of Mazda dealers from some hundreds to about half in the future? I worry this bacause i wanna have the convenience of near-by authorized staff to take care of my car. I admire Honda of it's network of dealers....overwhelmingly!!!

8) any other things that a prospective buyer should know about?

thanks in advance, i know these are a mouthfull please reply as much as u can. :]
  • 123zoom2123zoom2 Member Posts: 4
    I recently got a feedback survey though mail on my recent purchase of a 01 LX... I've heard that some dealers have bribed the buyer for a good mark. Is that true and if so how do I go about in getting my dealer to benefit me? (eg. free tune up, fog lights... etc)
    I think what you are asking for is a summary of all the posts on all of the Protege boards. I won't tell anyone who is considering a Protege to get a life, but do plan on reading the previous posts.

As far as your general Ford/Mazda theme: Don't read more into it then there is. The current Protege and Focus are completely separate; no shared components/engineering. Same with the Sport Wagon.

As far as future plan for the Protege/Focus, we may have seen a preview of this arrangement in the Escape/Tribute. HOWEVER, the Protege will continue to be built in JAPAN and the big issues on Tribute come from assembly quality and supplier problems. With the majority of content being sourced locally and Japanese assembly quality, the Focus/Protege might not be so bad. I for one will wait for more details before I cast judgment.

Last one - Dealer Reduction. Nothing to do with Ford, more to do with dealer/Mazda proffitability. It's expensive to have a bunch of small dealers moving 4 cars a month. It's like having a Wal-Mart in a town of 300.

Keep reading....
  • scudleyscudley Member Posts: 10
    regarding low mpg for city driving...I have averaged between 20 and 21 mpg the last 3 fill-ups on all city driving. I attribute this to the weather here in Syracuse and the fact that I live in a part of town called "Onondaga Hill" and whichever direction I go I must drive up a rather long and steep incline to get home.

btw, I also have a driver side door panel that is worn from resting my arm there.
  • jay82174jay82174 Member Posts: 5
    My wife and I are looking to purchase a left over Protege ES with an Invoice price of 16,658 (Premium Package, Auto). I'd like to negotiate a price of around 15,800 but I don't know if anybody has had experience with left-over Proteges. Am I short changing myself here, or being completely unrealistic? I looked for hints on target prices on several websites and the only thing I can find is the KBB price of 16,100 for a 2000 with 100 miles on it. Any experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated. I'd also like to add that after a lot of shopping, this seems to be the best compact out there, so Kudos to Mazda.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    D-man, if the your Mazda dealer had a practice of giving a perk for a "PERFECT" score on the Customer Satisfaction Survey, the sales manager or sales person would have made you aware of this dwindling practice during the delivery or sooner.

MY 2 cents:
    First, dealers who offer "spiffs" for top box CS scores are dishonest or shady at best; if they cheat on the customer feedback ratings, can YOU trust them for warranty work, etc.? However, I am not judging the new car owner if he accepts the perk, quite frankly a free oil change or detail job is not going to send me to the confession booth on Sunday, lol!

Secondly, if your new Mazda Protege was a slim deal for the Mazda Dealer($200 to $750 above the invoice/dealer cost) and most subcompact new car sales are "mini-deals"; your sales person will only receive a $50 to $100 commission! NOT a lot of money to pay his bills. But, top box Customer Survey scores mean some extra incentive cash to him at the end of the month. BUT, the CS Survey MUST have the top rating on All questions for him to get an incentive! It sounds dumb but MAZDAUSA holds him responsible for all areas on the CS survey. Soooo, if your sales person did a half way decent job for you, hook him up with a %100.

Lastly, there is a hidden perk for you to score the SC Survey, with top box ratings! Every time you walk into the dealership for service, have questions answered, etc. you will certainly be treated as a "top box" customer! If you do help the sales person out with the survey, he needs to send you a thank you note or give you a call of appreciation. Nevertheless, these folks depend on the SC Survey to help them make a living, if possible take care of them.

Respectfully;
    Larry
    My wife and I are looking to purchase a left over Protege ES with an Invoice price of 16,658 (Premium Package, Auto). I'd like to negotiate a price of around 15,800 but I don't know if anybody has had experience with left-over Proteges. Am I short changing myself here, or being completely unrealistic? I looked for hints on target prices on several websites and the only thing I can find is the KBB price of 16,100 for a 2000 with 100 miles on it. Any experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated. I'd also like to add that after a lot of shopping, this seems to be the best compact out there, so Kudos to Mazda.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You should pay no more than invoice, then take the rebate off AFTER you pay invoice. So it would be $750-1500 below invoice price.
  • hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    Is the $15,800 before or after the $1,500 rebate? If it's before, you're unrealistic. If it's after, you're short-changing yourself. Try to read back about three weeks of posts and look for "S Plan". The price would be 1.5% below invoice (not including freight) - $1,500. In this case, it would be $16,178*(1-0.015)+$480+TTL-$1,500=$16,415.33+TTL-$1,500.
    I think that it is bad for mazda to use such a scoring system. They should also make sure that the sales rep is not telling customers to give him 100% or his check will be lower. I just bought my mazda on the 2nd of this month. The rep said for me to make sure that I give him high scores. This is the same rep that also did not bother to call me back when I was trying to get approved through the dealership. The only reason that I went back to them, was that they where the nearest dealer to me. I got pre-approved through my credit union. When I went back to them the second time, the sales rep was so much nicer to me all of a sudden. I think that the sales managers should also get scored. They are the biggest scam artist. They will try anything to break you down....they also like to deal with people that do not have much credit....they make them feel as though they do not have a choice on anything. I think that car dealerships should have a sticker price that is non-negotiable. They should only be able to sell extra features for profit. God knows they make enough money on fools that pay for extra warranties. The finance departments should also get rated. I am looking forward to getting my score card. I will probably give the sales rep a high score even though I still do not like him. I just feel bad for his family more than anything else.....I will never go back to that dealership. I took my car in to have them add some antifreez, They spilled it all over the engine and outside of the car...they did not even bother to clean it up. I am scared to take my car to them for a oil change. This dealer also services HUNDAI...that is good enough reason not to deal with them.
    Jason, MY 2 CENTS,ONLY!!
    1.) Take the base price of the 2000 Mazda PRO-ES and write down the options of the specific PRO-ES you are looking to buy. Simply go to Edmunds at (http://WWW.Edmunds.com) or Kelly's Blue book at(http://WWW.KBB.com) on the internet and calculate the DEALERS cost on the 2000 PRO-ES, you want to purchase.

2.) Subtract the customer incentive offered in your local region and offer from $0-$250 above that price for the car. Trust me, you don't need to pay more. Incentives for a 2000 model year Protege are running at about $1,500 at present. Unless your credit rating is not so good and you are putting down a VERY small deposit, you are better off declining the low manufacture sponsored APR financing and going with the rebate.

One last thing to consider, you might want to look a little closer at the 2001 PRO-ES for financial reasons. It is getting pretty far into 2001 to purchase a 2000 model. When it comes to re-sale and trade values, you will have already increased your depreciation by purchasing a "one year old car". To illustrate, lets say you put 15,000 miles a year on your new car, so in 5 years; you will either own a 2000 Mazda PRO-ES with 75,000 miles or a 2001 Mazda PRO-ES with 75,000 miles on the odometer. If your car is in good condition the miles won't really hurt you or help you but the 1 year older model will. This is why, I rarely consider leftovers to be great buys, unless you can save at least $1,500+, I'd go for the 2001.

Respectfully;
    Larry
    1.) Henry, do you OWN a Mazda Protege or any Mazda vehicle? You never talk about YOUR Mazda Protege.

2.) Do you know for a fact, that the "S plan" is available to everyone, at all dealerships. I am just curious, what is your FIRST hand knowledge of this plan?

Respectfully;
    Protegextwo
    Many thanks to those who just responded to my question about the left over 2000 Protege. The reason that I was looking at 2000's was because of the 0% financing or 1500 cash back. Have some people been able to sneak both rebate and financing out of the dealer? Also, I just noticed that Edmunds is showing that 4yr/0% financing also includes the new 2001 models. Is this correct? I can't find any other web site that confirms this!! If this is the case, I'd definitely go for a 2001 model. Of course the dealer won't tell me that because they want to move current inventory. Can anyone help me with these additional questions? Thanks for all your help.
    1. No, I don't own a Protege. I'm looking to buy one.
    2. If one can join the EAA, then the S Plan is available. Ford/Mazda can end the plan anytime they want. OTOH, supposedly not every dealer participates in the plan, so YMMV. No, I don't have first-hand knowledge of the plan. I learned it from this thread (or the previous Protege one, I forgot).
    I do not think that you should be allowed to post unless you are zoom zooming on a daily basis. You are a wanabe-zoom-zoomer.
    It's currently $1,500 rebate or 0% for 48 months on the '00s and $750 rebate or 0% for 48 months on the '01s. So if you're going to take the 0% financing, the $750 advantage the '00 has on the '01 is gone. The '01 does cost about $350 more than the '00 (base ES). Since you want the Premium Package, if you don't care for the moonroof, you can get the ABS/SAB package on the '01 (but not on the '00). Then a '01 can actually cost less than a '00 if you go with the S Plan fixed pricing. If you negotiate the price yourself, it may vary. It all depends on how many the dealer has of each model year.
    Is owning a Protege a requirement to post? I do not OWN a Protege, yet I get plenty of Protege driving experience and have a wealth of info on them.

And to support Henry, here is the deal on the S-plan. The S-plan(Supplier plan) is actually only for Mazda suppliers and freinds of Mazda employees. Some trade groups may fit into the category of suppliers and enrollment in some of these trade groups is open to most. A dealer cannot be forced to participate as it takes away from their allocation of vehicles. Most dealers will honor the S-plan unless it is a hot selling vehicle that they know they can get full price for. As an FYI, the S-plan price is printed right on the dealer invoice(not the window sticker).

"I do not think that you should be allowed to post unless you are zoom zooming on a daily basis."
    I hope you're just kidding. How about not being allowed to post unless one has at least a 50% chance of still owning a Protege six months from now?
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    hi all,

I have been following up with Edmunds.com's Protege-related discussion list ever since I got my 00 Pro ES on the 4th of July, and I'm really glad there's finally a discussion group just for the Pro's (and named accordingly).

Quick question, anyone changed their Pro's oil themselves lately? Is it easy to do for a non-car mechanic-inclined person such as myself? I'm just wondering because even though I got 2yr/24000mi free oil change from rosenthal nissan mazda on leesburg pike in VA, I think their service is terrible (last time I went for an oil change it took them almost 2 hours to get the car back to me, bunch of slackers) and I want to skip the hassle of having to drive to the dealer to get the oil changed (and save some $$ in oil change in the future).

btw, can't help but notice there are quite a few people on this discussion list from washington dc area, didn't realize there are so many enthusiastic Pro owners around here (but I understand why!)

thanks

H
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    We accept all Protege lovers here. INCLUDING "wanabes" as you called them. The Protege is a great car that couldn't hurt to have a greater following. I personally encourage anyone wanting info about Protege's to post here. We should all encourage potential owners to buy a Protege vs. just about any other model.

hkchan...post away my friend!!!

Regards,

Pete
    But we will need a deposit. How do we know you will be buying one within that time frame?
    Thanks. So what's Ford's X-Plan (and others) stand for? Was the S-Plan Ford's idea?
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    I change my oil myself. Until recently I used Fram filters (never had a problem and could usually find them on sale too!) but now I am using the Mazda oil filter for the anti-backflow valve it has.

I have a 2000 ES Protege and use Mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic oil. It seems to run just a bit smoother with the synthetic oil and if you shop carefully, you can usually find it on sale at Walmart.

The filter and drain plug on the 1999-2001 Pro's are much easier to access than my old '92 LX Pro. Make sure to use a new aluminum crush seal at least every other time you change your oil, some people insist on using a new one every time. Use your hand to loosen and tighten your oil filter. A rubber dishwashing glove can help get a good grip on it.

I like changing my own oil as it lets me check out the car every time I do it.

Regards,

Pete
    No guarantees from me. I may go for a truck.
    I justed moved from VA to GA....that area of VA is bad when it comes to traffic. I sometimes spent 30 minutes just trying to get out of falls church. But I miss the VA STATE POLICE. They kept that area in check 24 hours a day. I GA, cops do not care.
    No, the S-plan was in the works prior to the hostile(is Jac Nasser reading this?) takeover by the Blue Oval. The S-plan and E-plan(employees and family) have been around but were revised in 97. I don't know what x-plan stands for. Must be top secret.
    Hey I think I have a problem....On my breaks I go down to the parking lot and play with my protege...or just check up on it...I hate this fog down here in GA....it leaves the paint looking dirty...God I want to get off work so that I can go play!!!
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    thanks speedypt for the tip, I'll probably try to do it myself the next time my car needs an oil change, I'll probably find someone that knows his way around cars to help me as well.

yes unmarkedcar traffic around here is horrible, especially during rush hour near tysons corner, a lot of stop and go's. that's why my gas milage has suffered big time as a result of my 2.5 mile commute to work everyday, averaging about 19-21 mpg, oh well :P

and commenting on a posting a few days back: yes working has becoming harder cuz I can't wait to get off work and get my zoom zoom fix for the day, which is exactly what I'm going to do NOW! woohoo
    My post never suggested that Henry not post here, unless he owned a Mazda Protege. I might have missed a few, but I have always tried to welcome newbies to this topic, if they took the time to introduce themselves. It is my desire to be respectful to everyone here at Mazda Protege, even the windbags, hehe. Just kidding. However, I enjoy asking questions, offering "FIRST HAND" advice and stating my opinions if asked, here at Mazda Protege. Nonetheless, I honestly found it strange that someone would become a "regular" in a owners "type" discussion and never mention the kind of car he drives? Malty, I think Henry did a fine job answering my questions and if he was offended by my inquiry, I bet he could handle that also! I guess your post #275 rubbed me the wrong way. I hold no grudges, and on a go-forward basis; live and let live is my motto. ;-}

Respectfully;
    Larry
    I farted
  • gamejunkigamejunki Member Posts: 16
    Ok everyone is talking about the S-Plan, well I talked to a Mazda dealer in my area and asked about the S-Plan and he told me that the plan is only offered to Ford/Mazda employees or one of Ford's Affiliate companies like Hertz. How true is this and where can I find more info on the web?
    Relax. I was not offended by your questions. In fact, your questions were the kind that I would probably ask if I were in your position.

gamejunki, what the dealer told you so far regarding the S-Plan is correct. Again I have no first-hand experience with the plan. I was simply repeating the information others gave here. Joining the EAA (www.eaa.org) would make you eligible. Even though I have not done it, there've been at least two people here that have.
    What is the "new aluminum crush seal"? I've only changed oil on older cars and only had to pull the plug and change the filter.
    It's the washer. What cars have you changed oil on that didn't have one?
  • andy70andy70 Member Posts: 2
    Echoing Gamejunki's comments...if there is a website with more information on the S-Plan, please post!

I too am looking at a 2000 ES. Deal is for approximately $100 over invoice. The dealer automatically puts mudguards and pinstriping on every new ES that comes through - two options that I really don't want. I asked if they could take both off and he said they could take the pinstriping off, but the cost is sunk so the price would not be lowered. The mudguards however, cannot be taken off as "we have to make mounting holes" or something. Is this a steamy stinky pile they're trying to feed me about the forced accessories??
  • curt3curt3 Member Posts: 101
    I think that it is wise to take your Protege to the dealer for the oil changes during the warranty period. As crazy as it sounds, I believe that you have more leverage in the event that a surprise problem arises if you have thorough documentation of dealership oil changes and inpsections, at least during the warranty period and shortly thereafter.

My local Nissan/Mazda dealership bought back a virtual lemon of a Nissan Truck that I had in 1998 when I provided a list of all the maintenance that they had performed (every oil change, etc.) I did not have to go to arbitration or even so much as contact a lawyer. They relized that the truck was well-maintained by their dealership and to say that the truck was not pampered would cut the dealership's own throat.

Also, I have noticed how some dealerships invite you to "hook them up" on the warranty service/dealership experience type surveys. Be thoroughly honest on these--they may come back to haunt you should you have a lemon. At the same time, acknowledge good treatment on the dealership's behalf. For some reason we get the urge to cover up faults in service and dealership experiences because we think that we will get special favors. I really don't think that you will get much more than an oil change for even the best of compliments. When it comes down to the wire, you are one of hundreds of others who fill out survey cards and are in now way entitled to any extra benefits for covering up for the dealerhsips.

Let's talk financing. If you are about to buy a new Mazda, enroll in a master's degree program or be a college graduate very quickly. Not only can you combine the college bonus, you can get a slightly smaller rebate when combined with 0% financing. Unfortunatley, I don't believe that Mazda offers a repeat buyer discount--some companies actually offer a customer loyalty discount. The financing special is usual only good for short-term loans. I bought my 2000 LX for 36 months--this was the shortest time possible but three years at 0% is not much more per month than 4 years at 7.75 %. Good luck all.
    It's the washer on the oil Plug? If that's so than ohhhh"k"! I just hadn't heard that "fancy" term for it. Why do you need a new one that often, and is the Mazda filter as good as a Mobil-1 filter? Thanks for any input, I've only used dino oil and fram(or equiv) filters before. But for this baby I'm willing to go the extra mile!
    Thanks for any input, I'm not a car maintenance expert, I've just had friends who were, and I moved away from them all!
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    first the washer.. I had a Cavalier that the washer was built in the screw. never replaced it in 7 yrs and never leaked.

second on protegextwo Feb 15, 2001 1:15pm
    mentioning a 00 with 75K and 01 with 75K. the 00 will be more apealling because in 5 yrs you won't tell them you had it 5 yrs. the buyer will see a 00 with the same lmiles as a 1 yr newer car. they will equate that with an extra yr of driving and still it has a lower per yr mileage. in 2005 the 00 will be 6yrs old (regardless of when bought) have the same miles as a 5 yr car.

as for the price. We got our ES Auto for 14.4K with a 1.4K rebate/grad, and our 1K down. that was after TTL. it was I think 300 over invoice in December according to various sites. I know some got it for cheaper, but it was around the acceptable range for me and the wife loved it..
    Maybe it's time for me to go to bed, but I must say I don't quite understand what you mean by more "appealing". Are you saying someone will consider the '00 to be more appealing and enough to be willing to pay more for it than the '01 because he thinks the '01's average mileage is 15,000 miles a year and the '00's is 12,500 miles a year? What about if the car will be traded in for a new one? Do you think the dealer will offer more for the '00 too?
    Andrew, I am not a fan of pin stripping on most cars. But, that is just my preference. The fact that some new car dealers add this after factory feature and charge $75.00 hiss's me off. My local Toyota/Mazda dealer has a new sales manager who adds it to all new cars as they are added to the sales lot! What a jerk. $75.00 of pure profit for the dealer, not mention it looks crappy on MOST cars. The most expensive tape in the world. Well,... I have purchased my last three vehicles at Lancaster Toyota Mazda and I asked my sales guy, Erin Mulroy about the policy of pin stripping all the new cars. He told me that if a customer asks to have it removed, they will and IF the customer asks, the $75.00 comes off the price of the vehicle, also! He told me very few people ask to have the pin stripping removed and even less ask to have the surcharge removed! Go figure!

IMHO, I think the mud guards are very handsome and I would add them to both my PRO-ES's. Andrew, my 2 cents; pay for the mud guards and tell the sales person the pin stripping and the surcharge for it go's, end of discussion. I can't believe, he would let you walk for $75.00.

Respectfully;
    Larry
  • sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    Hey everyone,

Boy people did post a lot, I just checked the board late yesterday afternoon. Regarding the CS survey's, I was promised a free tank of gas. Since my sales rep was helpful, and had a good experience, I will rate her highly regardless of the tank of gas. Its probably more of an attempt to get people to fill the things out rather than an attempt at a bribe. Just my thought on that.

As for Rosenthal, I went there this past sunday looking for an 01 Pro ES. They didn't have one that I wanted, but I asked the guy to give me a price on what I wanted. He refused unless I would agree to buy a car from them. Finally he indicated that because it was an 01, I could expect to pay near MSRP. At that point, I got up and left. What a jerk.

The current issue of Road and Track has a small article on the Protege MP3. They mention that some of the parts will be made by Racing Beat. Do you think there is any chance that these parts would be made available through the dealers or Racing Beat for purchase.
    1) The MP3 says Racing Beat on it.
    2)Racing beat is not a manufacturer but a tuner.
    3)I'm sure Mazda will have an exclusive contract on these parts.
    4)Yes the dealers will be able to order these parts, probably before you are even able to getyour hands on the car itself.