Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Welcome to the club! Glad you are enjoying your new ES.

ashutoshsm: Wait for the new Acura Integra RSX. It has Protegé’s hood and grille styling and comes in the MP3 blue. Only problem is it’s a coupe.

Check out http://www.newcardesign.com for Auto Show New York pics.

fowler3
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    You should look into an A4 1.8T. It might not be the fastest car, but for 24-25K, you get a whole bunch of safety and a really good driving car. I had one before the Protege and have to say it had far and away the best brakes of any car I have driven. You can probably get a good buy on one since they are changing the car for 2002, or go the used route. The same logic would apply. Either way, you will spend far less than a BMW.

Good luck!
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    ... would the regulars on a board be helpful and nice enough to recommend other good cars to a member!

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I have be thinking about the Audi/WV (Jetta or Passat), Subaru Impreza (RX powerful but too bare bones inside), and used BMW. mm, 2002 models for many cars (including the Mitsu Lancer and the Pro ES) will be out soon, before I'm ready to buy, so I may add to this list soon)

But it'll be a while before I let go my trusty 95 Pro DX! Gave it a wash yesterday, and as a result of the wax I gave it after the previous wash a couple of weeks ago, its looking amazing! The white color really ages well - I'm surprised I don't see more people buying white these days :-)

-ashu
    You know how you see some movies and you want to mimick them when you walk out of the theatre (like Rocky when I was a kid)? Well, you have to go check out BMWfilms.com. They have some great short movies with some outrageous driving scenes. I recommend the one called "Star". It will really get you revved up for the drive home. I don't think my tach saw under 4K on the drive to lunch!

I'm scheduled for the BMW Performance driving school in early July. I guess I'll have to watch these again before I go so I'll get the most out of the experience!
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    I saw these a few days ago too - love them all!

Star has the best driving stunts, but the Ang Lee directed one has the best story (if a 6 minute movie can have a story!) and ending! Pretty self-effacing role for Madonna. And Guy Ritchie seems to be an ok director!

A must-watch for all car buffs! The have all formats (RealVideo, QT MOV, and Windows Media Destroyer) at different resolutions/connection speeds.

Although the Pro ES is possibly the only sub-20K car in which you can (to a small extent) mimic the performance of the 330i's, M3's and 530i's used in these films - drive safely!

-ashu
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    What is your price range and size needs? My 2 cents, a leftover 2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 should sell in 6 months, with some room to discount, as the 2002's are a re-designed product. The Passat is based on the Audi A6 and quite a few bucks cheaper! My old boss has an 1999 Passat, we traveled too several meetings in it and I must say it was an awesome.

Respectfully,
    Larry
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I love the Passats, but not the restyled ones that are "2001 1/2" models. I think they are so ugly. I like the 1999-2000 design. And the cars are so comfortable. I am going to upgrade to a mid-size V6 sedan next time around, in about 4-5 years. Of course, there will probably be alot more of them on the market by then. :)
    The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety just released their ratings on full size pickups. The Ford F-150 failed! Lets just say, quality is NOT job #1 at Ford Motor Company. The air bags deployed too late, and the passenger compartment collapsed, leaving little survival space for the driver. The best performer? The Toyota Tundra received the IIHS highest rating. Umm, the Japanese even design safer trucks than the big three.

See ya later, I'm jumping in the Protege, opening all the windows/moon roof and hitting the road. It's 88 degrees at 2:30 pm and I'm going to the swimming pool. Too dang hot in Lancaster today.

-Larry
    The V-Dub Passat would make me very very happy, sitting in my drive way. Just a little too pricey for me right now. But I sure love that German panache! The 2001 Audi A-6, or 2000 BMW 740i, yea baby!!!

If I was to move up to a V-6 mid-size car TODAY, I would purchase a 2001 Honda Accord LX V-6. the handling is fairly firm and sporty, however the real selling point for me, is the combo of price to value. GREAT re-sale, GREAT reliability, GOOD safety scores, priced in the $22,000+ range = VALUE to me.

Paul and the rest of the gang, which V-6 mid-size would you purchase in the $20,000 to 28,000 range?

-Larry
    I might disagree there. I remember in the 70's, when gas prices shot up, that small 4-cylinder cars became the norm. There were some pretty forgetable cars to say the least, but I am hoping that we will see more innovations in small engines that improve performance while delivering fuel economy. I like V6's too, but sometimes you have to question if the extra ooomph is worth the extra expense. I guess we'll see. But using Audi as an example, who would have thought you could get 200+ hp out of 1.8 liters and still have a engine that was usable in the real world?
    would probably be the Accord also. I know, there are zillions on the street, but I have to agree with Larry on this one, the total value of that car is just too good. If it were looks or driving alone, I would opt for the Passat.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Well Larry, it would have to come with a manual trans. Having been a big VW fan, I'd pick a Jetta or Passat(at the top of your range). Something about the road feel of European cars just has not been matched by the rest of the world. Protege has slowly crept up on these, but remains just a tad short.

As a comparison, I tried to talk my brother-in-law into a Miata. He came home one day with a 2001 Z3. I gave him a little lashing and then went for a test drive. With the V-6 and the improvements from the early models, that car was too sweet for words. Of course, the key thing is that he had the cash to make that choice.

:)
    I'm gonna go to the pool NOW, all this talk of buying new cars really has me heated up! LOL!!! I got to teach my 5 year old how to swim this summer. The 2016 Olympics are right around the corner, hehe. God bless my very good friends at Mazda Town Hall.

Zoom Zoom Zoom,
    Larry
    My wife would probably never allow me to purchase a "hand shaker" tranny!!! However, after 17 years of marriage to me, she deserves certain accomdations, hehe. ;-)

Soooo, if you were to purchase an auto V-6 mid-size family sedan, in the $20,000 to $28,000 range what would you need to test drive?

Respectfully,
    Larry
  • aardvark_markaardvark_mark Member Posts: 95
    with 20-28k budget

for value -> 01 honda accord lx
    for style -> 01 lexus is300 base (27.5 TMV) :)
    for fun -> 01 vw jetta glx vr6 w/ sport suspension, 17 inch wheels

-M
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I'd have to include these two, although the Maxima can become quite pricey.
    I would have to go for the Saturn L-300 actually. I know, surprise! An American car. :) I rented a Saturn L-200 when my beloved Protege was in the shop from its hit-and-run. :( I liked the car alot, but its handling was kinda boring. I read that the L-300 has sport suspension, so that might liven it up a little bit. Saturns also hold their value well, and their dent-resistant body panels help keep the car looking good, especially in a neighborhood like mine. :(
    It really depends on the driver. If it were my wife...never mind, she's a driver also. If it were Joe Blow's wife, the Accord with it's track record would be a great car. In our house, we love manual transmissions and bumpy ride just means that the cautionary corner speed can be greatly exceeded. We aren't maniacs and with for kids, we have the obligatory mini-van, but we enjoy the drive on the side.

My opinion(only my opinion):
    Vanilla: Accord, Camry, 626(can be fun with m/t, but extremely vanilla in looks).
    Better: Maxima, Altima, Galant, Acura TL, S40
    Exciting: Jag X-type, Passat, A4

Obviosly, I left off a bunch but this is my take and prices vary greatly.

• rnd2rnd2 Member Posts: 31
    i looked at the acord v-6 but the handeling was soft the car wanted to roll in the corners the power was good on the take off but if you are going 30 mph and you need to pass forget it ! i have a 98 honda civic coupe with auto trany this car handles great and the power is great from take off to top speed, i even pull a dirt bike trailer with 2 bikes on it ! i think honda went too far with high mpg.they gave up power new hondas are slow
  • glideslopeglideslope Member Posts: 37
    Did a little zooming with a 00 Miata today on the way to work . I was able to read the plate numbers for the duration of the event. I think it was a 5-speed . The dry pavement grip on my RE92's seems like racing slicks now that they are 75% gone at 12,000 miles. I thought I might break a suspension component today due to their tenaceous grip. However, they are very noisy now. Dangerous on wet stuff.

Quite a little car this 00 ES of mine. Thanks Mazda. The wife wants to look at MPV's to replace the Quest. This could be the beginning of something?

Mark.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I like the looks of the Accord the best, but I would have to go with the Camry V6 simply because they offer a manual transmission with the V6 and Honda does not. The 626 is underpowered in this class. The VWs (passat & jetta) are the best looking cars but they seem to have too much of a quality problem, and I am not the kind of guy who takes a risk with something that costs so much money--like a car. I would get a Maxima if it wasn't so dang ugly IMO. If I needed a midsize car, and a V6, it would have to be the Camry with a manual transmission. It may look vanilla, but with the V6 and the 5sp, it would be a scorcher and a sleeper at the same time. An added bonus is the fact that the V6 is sewing machine smooth, and Toyota's reputation for reliability is unmatched. Also, remember that Toyota now has a performance division, and there are performance suspension upgrades available, not to mention a supercharger for that V6 to make it REALLY scream. Good luck!
  • djmax813djmax813 Member Posts: 30
    Any suggestions as to when to turn the o/d off. I generally do short hops and a little highway driving so i leave it on. Is there a performance difference at lower speeds? Just wanted to know.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    well, turning O/D off will make your car rev higher at highway speed and reduce your mpg. I don't really notice any major difference during city street driving, since you don't rev that high when going 20-30 mph anyway.

I turn off O/D when going up hills so it stays in 3rd and not jump back and forth between 3rd & 4th. I also turn off O/D momentarily on highways to force a downshift for passing purposes, but most of the time I just leave it on.
    Come to think of it, I did see a TRD Camry a couple months back at a Toyota dealership. The sticker on it was like $27,000, but it was a sharp car. It had specific exterior trim, wheels, and susspension, but not the supercharger. I rented a Camry a while back, and it was a pretty nice car. Low power with the 4-cylinder, and the V-6 requires premium gas (I think). Also, the driver's seat needs about 1/2 inch more rearward travel so I can be comfortable. Otherwise, it was a very nice, refined car.
    The Ford Taurus and Chevy Impala are decent family cars too. Slightly cheaper than the imports, reliability roughly on par with VW, but not nearly the level of refinement of Honda and Toyota. The Taurus with the moonroof also has a readily-accessible manual override (anticipating problems?). They're both roomy and drive fine for family cars, but neither is what I consider a sporty ride. Looks are mainstream. Not stylish, but not outlandish (unlike the previous Taurus, which was too streamlined...to the point where it almost became a 2+2 seater).

The Mitsubishi Galant falls into this class, but is a bit smaller than most. The company has some workplace issues though.
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    When it is time to turn in my Pro.(1 year) I will be looking for another car. I was thinking of getting the next gen. A4 but then I heard all of this exciting news about the next Pro. and it kinda got me wondering what it was going to be like! If anyone knows were I can find some info. on the next Pro. it would be greatly appreciated. I had also thought of a VW Passat but those new ones are dang ugly! So, my question is, should I stick with Pro. or get an A4? I can't decide, too many decisions!

-Sam
    "The Mitsubishi Galant falls into this class, but is a bit smaller than most. The company has some workplace issues though."

And what companies don't have workplace issues?

There were a bunch of quality issues with the Impalas and their engine cradles when the cars first debuted. My neighbor has a base-model Impala and likes it alot. I just hate how it looks like an older person's car though. Give me the LS model decked out with the spoiler and wheels, please. :) And the Taurus, they are just boring to look at. They are roomy inside though, and I love the adjustable pedals too. But my mother (who helped build race cars back in the 60s) always taught me that Ford stands for "Found on Road Dead". She always said she would rather have pushed a Chevy than drive a Ford. :)
    I would get a Pontiac Grand Prix or an Olds Intrigue if I were to go domestic. I don't really care for GM, but those would be the cars I would look at domestic wise. The Grand Prixs with the superchargers are REALLY fast, I was able to drive one about a year ago, it definately has V8-like punch. The Olds Intrigue is the best looking of the bunch IMO and they are being heavily discounted right now, but they have an Intrigue-only engine that is not shared with any other GM vehicle made. (the DOHC 3.5L "shortstar" a mini cadillac northstar)
    The discounts on the Intrigues are sweet right now. Believe it or not, I almost picked one of them up back when I got the 2001 ES. It would have been like $4000 or so more, and it would have been a near-luxury car. What stopped me were the low crash test scores and the low reliability rating the car has been carrying for the last couple years. Also, the future demise of Oldsmobile means the resale values are going to be at the bottom of the barrel. I sat in one Grand Prix too, but did not like the way the seats felt. I never considered one, but just happen to sit in one for the heck of it. I hate the open headrests they have, and their lumbar support sucks too. Also, the 2 previous Pontiacs my family owned (both Bonnevilles, 1994 & 93) were not the most reliable vehicles either.
    I tried an Accord as well when shopping for the Protege (I told you before I tried EVERYTHING!), but the leg room in front was not enough for my height. Also, Accords are such boring cars to drive, kinda like Camrys are.

I never considered a Galant though. The space inside is too small, and I just don't like their design.
    Yeah, I thought about the Intrigue too, but since the engine it has is unique to the Intrigue, and the fact that they won't be around anymore worried me. I also really wanted a Camry V6 5sp, but it was too much money for a recent college grad like me. Then I heard about Mazda's 0% financing for 4 years and the $400 rebate and the 6 month defered payment which sounded WAY too good to be true. I also researched the Protoge quite a bit and it was supposed to be one of Mazda's most reliable cars AND it is made in Japan. My neighbor at school saw my car and heard about the deal that I got and decided that he wanted one too. He went to three different dealers in Milwaukee and they told him NO WAY, you can't get that deal. Turns out it was too good to be true, you are not supposed to get the 6 month defered payment AND the 0% financing AND the $400 rebate, but it was too late, I already signed the papers. Poor salesman probably got reamed for that one, he should have known though, from a business standpoint, it is really, really, stupid to defer payments on a no interest loan for someone with almost no credit history. Oh well, I like my car, and in my neighbor's words: It's PHAT
  • sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    Actually, you can get all three, I believe Digidave did. I too am a recent college grad, and got the 0% and 400 rebate. They didn't give me the 6mo deferred payment. I thought about going back and asking about it after I found out Dave was able to get it, but opted not too. I'll be out from under the 240 dollar payments 6mo sooner.
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    Here's something I found surfing the net:

http://www.zing.com/album/review.html?id=4292630681

Good pics of the new Protege5.

Well, you must be able to get all three because I did, but for some reason, they wouldn't let my neighbor at school have all three and he had a better credit rating than I did. Thats why I thought that they screwed up. They also sent me my first payment bill about 3 weeks after I bought the car. I had to call the dealership back and get things straightened out and they had to call Mazda. They told me that Mazda was unclear about which deals could be used simultaneously and that from now on, they would not be able to do those three at the same time.
  • norcannorcan Member Posts: 72
    For '01 ES. Not an exact quote but it is something to effect of -> to pass press accelerator to floor...! After reading so many caution and warning boxes thought this was :)
    Now have over 3,000 km and the ride is still firm but smoother than when new.
    You are building your credit rating now with those first car payments. ;) Gotta start some where.

Hey! I thought you guys were dedicated Protegé owners? Here you are talking about medium sized cars as your next buy. What about the Millennia S,
    isn’t that in the same ballpark?

vocus: I didn’t know there was more than one “older persons car” -- read Buick anything? ;) I bought Buicks when I was young, wouldn’t have one now. My second Riviera (’68) had a 400ci V8 engine and I use to drag race at stoplights with Dodge Chargers, left’um while they were between gears with those Hurst shifters. :D

Personally, I don’t like the current Accord series, bought a ’98 and hated it. Sold it back to the dealer in 30 days. The seats are cloth-covered rocks,absolutely no soft foam. I took it to trim shop and they tried to put in a layer of foam with softer density, but it didn’t work. It was just a block of solid, high-density foam that you couldn’t put a dent in pressing down hard with your thumb.

I, also, didn’t care for the noisy engine. More power and VTECH starting that year in the LX, but way too noisy. Reminded me of the sound a ’49 Ford made. When you buy a “refined car” you expect a refined sound, not the sound of a chicken car.

I call Fords chicken cars, because local farmers use to haul live chickens into town, in their Fords, to sell on Saturday’s for city folks Sunday dinners. (I go waaaayyyy back before refrigerators had freezers. In fact, that was before grocery stores had freezers and none sold chicken in packages.)

First impressions can last a lifetime. The one time I almost bought a Ford, the dealer sent a car to my house that was right off the truck. Still covered with gunk, so dirty you couldn’t see through the windshield, no mats on the bare steel floor. I sent it back. Never bought a Ford...never.

fowler3
    Jim, by most accounts the Mazda Millennia is an O.K. vehicle. However, it really tries to compete in the entry level luxury car segment. By most accounts it does not do well, when rated against it's competition. It is plagued by poor re-sale value and lacks standard content, when compared to the Acura's and Lexus's of the world. I have heard, that a 1999/2000 used Millennia is a good value if the miles are low.

Respectfully,
    Larry
    Protegé owners are like everyone else, they buy a certain brand when the company makes cars they like. When the company stops making those cars they buy some other brand’s model. That’s why I bought a Protegé, Honda doesn’t make the car(s) I was accustomed to buying the past 15 years. The 2001 Protegé is as close to what I was looking for as I could find, not perfect, but very close.

I was not looking for a $16K BMW 330i, I was looking for a $16K Acura TL. In other words a compact luxury car at a budget price.

fowler3
    Last week, I got a telephone call from Mazda, in California, that they had received the letter I returned with the questionaire all buyers get. They wanted to thank me for taking the time to write and hope I am happy with the Pro. I am. :)

Writing to companies is the best way to get your ideas to them. They want to know what buyers like and do not like, and what they would like to have in their next car. It tells them a lot more than those generic surveys.

Don’t complain about your car, it’s a done deal as far as the current model goes. Too late to make changes. ;)

fowler3
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    I saw a new Mazda Millenia today and just loved it! I would love to drive that car. It is very very good looking and I am now seriously trying to get my mother to get one! That redesign was wonderful and the car looks better them most of the other cars in the entry-luxury segment.
    Even though I looked at the mid-size family sedans, I'd still buy the Pro or something in its class (if they had all the right elements...but all had a shortcoming or two...mostly in how I didn't fit). Though I look at some mid-size vehicles, I would never buy one because they don't handle as well and are a pain to maneuver in lots.

What I do miss (or more like my daughter misses) is a lack of storage cubbies and cupholders for the rear-seat passengers. I don't miss the fake wood and fancy entertainment/HVAC control systems the mfrs. tend to pack into this class (and higher) of vehicle.
    i just got a free offer from mazda, test drive a new mazda and get a free Jeremy McGrath jersey, what a great deal for people like me who ride dirt bikes
    Was that an e-mail or a mailer...I wonder if they are doing that in my area? details please...

• jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    The wonderful Millenia, unfortunately, does have a hard time competing in it's class. However, with heavy dealer discounts and huge $4,000 rebates, they can be had at the same price of a mid-level or loaded Accord or Camry, and the Millenia is so much more! My favorite dealership, John Hine Mazda, is selling their many Millenia S's for $26,999. With that you get the 210hp V6, leather, dual power/heated seats, automatic climate control, leather, moonroof, Bose sound system with sub, tweeters, cassette, and in-dash 6-disc changer, traction control, ABS, side airbags, 17" chrome wheels, pearlescent paint, Optitron gauges, etc. Or, you can save a few thousand and lose the Miller-Cycle engine, Bose sound system, and 17" chrome wheels and still have a wonderful car. The only drawback to the Millenia is that our Protege's have more interior room!

The 626 is one heck of a bargain. With rebates and discounts, you could pick up a fully loaded model for under $23k. Sure, the V6 isn't as powerful as Accord or Camry, but the 626 is lighter. Also, don't let the numbers deceive you. That Mazda V6 has an awesome torque-band that just keeps delivering. Hine has a 626 ES-V6 5-spd for just under $21k. That's with leather, 16" alloys, wood, Bose 6-CD/cassette, power everything, moonroof, alarm, etc. Not only is it a blast to drive (5-spd + V6 = loads of fun, handles great (not as quick steering as Protege, but it'll stick in the corners longer and harder)) but it's quiet, has a great ride, and is a great price. Now only if they could sharpen the styling just a bit more...
  • aardvark_markaardvark_mark Member Posts: 95
    I got the jersey offer in the mail also.. It's a pretty sweet bike jersey! with mazda/yamaha on the front. I am guessing they got my address when I did an online price quote through www.mazdausa.com. I also filled out a follow up feedback survey via email concerning the price quote procedure.

To get the free jersey, you go to a mazda dealer, test drive a car, and the dealer fills out your voucher.. offer only good til' July 15th if my memory serves me correctly.

-Mark
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    went to dealer to get car checked out, and on the lot, there it was, a blue MP3. Impression: THAT is how every Protege should look, or as options available for regular Pro owners to upgrade. Most impressed with the huge rims (17, 18in?), the Protege5-like fog light/ground effects, the oval-shaped large exhaust tip, and the TOTALLY body-colored side mirrors. Didn't get a clear view of the interior, but from what i did see, looks very nice also.

not too thrilled about the huge wing in the back though, doesn't fit the overall shape of the car too well.

very nice car
    this is a mail offer and you are correct mark this offer ends on 7/15 and needs to be postmarked by 7/20, maltb i live in the midwest i don't know about you'r area
  • canalicanali Member Posts: 2
    Pls email me directly at: joseph.collins@telus.com

I'm also considering waiting for the new MP3 version in a few wks time OR the upcoming new
    civic hb si (160 hp) due in early 2002 or the bland but quiet and reliable toyota corolla...also considering the new 2001 nissan sentra se (2.0 liter, 145 horses).

My question for your mazda protege 2.0 litre owners: is the protege quiet at hywy speeds and is it a comfortable cruiser for long period hywy cruising?...also any likes/dislikes would be appreciated to hear of.

Cheers,
    Joe Collins
    Vancouver BC Canada
    I'd just get the 2.0L ES. The new Civic hatchback looks like the Ford Focus's mentally slow cousin IMO. The Sentra is a great car, but it too has a problem with it's looks, specifically the back end of the car. It might be worth mentioning that the Nissan is soon to offer a performance version of the Sentra, the Spec-V or something. It will have a 2.5L 180hp four with a six speed manual and limited slip diff. Sounds really nice, but you will have to live with the homely rear-end treatment, and the absolutely HIDEOUS interior of the Spec-V. I was waiting to get one, then I saw what they did to the interior---really gross and disgusting. The Corolla is not a bad car if you are not really into the performance thing, but I think that it too is due for a redesign. The 2.0L in my car is fairly quiet on the highway and silent when idling. IMO, it is hands-down the best looking car for the money. I am usually all about performance, with style coming second place, but those other cars (SVT Focus, Civic Si Hatchback, Sentra Spec-V) are so ugly that it outweighs their performance advantage. I knew about these cars before I bought the Protoge, but I wouldn't have been able to look at them in my driveway, let alone tell the gas station clerk "it's the ugly one on pump 5". This is just my opinion though, some people may like the looks of those other cars.