Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    I uploaded my idea of a ZoomZoomZoom sticker to my photo site in the same folder as my new car pics. Click 'New pics of my 99 Mazda Protege', the picture is #14. It's the same font as the letters that say "Protege" on the back of our cars, just in all caps.

http://photos.yahoo.com/negatize

Any thoughts?

• aardvark_markaardvark_mark Member Posts: 95
    The Protege 5's at my local dealer have a little 'zoom zoom' sticker on the bottem/center of the rear window.. I'm usually not a big sticker fan but this one looks pretty cute..
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I like the idea, but I think the sticker is too big. Also, the Mazda ones only have 2 ZOOMS and not 3.
  • norcannorcan Member Posts: 72
    Protege_fan you mean, I hope. And don't call me Michael ;)

Norcan
  • norcannorcan Member Posts: 72
    If Calgary is having a dry year like the prairies, then keeping your black car looking sharp is gonna be challenging. I have no idea about reving engine during break-in period, better consult maltb.

I live in Toronto(yeah, I know, boo..hiss), but I'm from Saskatchewan. I still cheer for the Roughriders! I'm taking my vacation north of Prince Albert in a week.
    I bought my car in Feb. and the heater seems good, warms up quickly. I treated myself to an remote starter (with ignition disabler) since heated seats are not available. Can you tell living in Toronto wimps one out? "OH NO, IT'S MINUS 5! ISN'T WINTER JUST AWFUL??!!"
  • draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    I ordered an AS 2 weeks ago,I was told 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. Does anyone know when the factory stops making the 2001's and resumes making the 2002's. Can't get any info out of my salesman. Any information would be appreciated.
    Typo-- should be ES
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    You probably won't see any difference in the 2001 and 2002 Protgé ES models, with the exception of painted mirrors. Mazda will probably continue with a highly successful model for another year.

fowler3
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    Factories only shut down when the car is going to be completely changed. The Protege will not be changed for model year 2002.
  • mhallackmhallack Member Posts: 32
    I just bought a laser blue MP3. Fantastic handling, peppy engine with a throaty growl, and a wonderful stereo system. The whole neighborhood came over and ooh'd and awe'd over it (I think it actually looks better in real life than in pictures).

Absolutely bizarre are the omission of moonroof (not a big deal), cruise control (no excuse) and ABS (though the brakes are quite powerful). Another disappointing omission is security system. The dealer said that I should go after-market (Mazda's is too expensive?). With a $700 Kenwood head unit that is displayed quite prominently and does not include a detachable faceplate, an alarm is a must!

Sporty sedans that I was considering include: BMW 325 (too expensive with options), Jetta Wolfsburg Edition, Maxima 20th Anniversary (too expensive and too big), Sentra SE (droopy butt), Acura Integra (where is the 4-door RSX?), and Infiniti G20.

Anybody else bought one yet? Comments?
  • rotarykidrotarykid Member Posts: 191
    The reason for the shifter getting tight is due to the heat from the exhaust causing the shifter bushings to bind. These can be cleaned and lubed with an anti-sieze compound or replaced. BTW, the mp3 we got in a week ago is still on the lot. They want $1500 over sticker.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Yeah, my car is dirty already!! Stupid neighbors ran their sprinklers and got my Pro wet!! Sigh...Anyway, do you live right in Toronto norcan? I have a friend from a small town near Toronto and he was saying that because traffic is so bad in TO that it is almost useless to drive a car! It would be a shame to see a pro crawling in heavy traffic! Well, at least it would still look good! BTW what kind of Pro do you have norcan?

Protege_fan
  • djmax813djmax813 Member Posts: 30
    Do not use armor all or any other liquid cleaners. They're totally unneccessary. Especially on a new car (I love the new car smell)! Instead get yourself these microfibre cloths and keep one in the glove box. They're very good at picking up dust and wiping smudges. No chemicals required. I use them to detail my car all the time. Also keep a lint roller on hand for the cloth seats. The black seats of the ES readily show crumbs and hair and whatnot so lint rollers work real well.
  • mcometmcomet Member Posts: 3
    Here's a question...what do people think about the ES vs. MP3? I was really excited about the MP3 based on the CD player and a few more HP out of it, and nicer interior...until I found out there was no Cruise control and no ABS (and no sunroof)! What's that all about?

Any word on if that is changing for 2002?

mcomet
  • dgiovannidgiovanni Member Posts: 13
    I need some recommendations for really good replacement tires for my '99 LX. The factory Firestones are terrible, and I'm glad to be replacing them. I would like to go a little wider on the steel rims, and I need an all season tire that's good on snow as well as wet and dry pavement. Also a quieter tire would be nice. I know I'm probably asking too much.
    Can I get some suggestions please. Thanks!
    The MP3 in looks and features is geared to a younger age group 18-25 in my opinion. I like the ES for the additional options available and the toned down look, but I'm 40years old.
    check on Dunlop P5000's they are good tires and quieter I have read. Read owners' reviews on http://www.tirerack.com

fowler3

• protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Mazda NA is marketing the Mazda PRO-MP3 to "The Fast and Furious" crowd. I'm 43 and IMHO, the Mazda PRO-ES is a great blend of fun, value and style for anyone looking for a great small sporty sedan for under $17,000!!!

Respectfully,
    Larry
  • yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    re: Pro ES Roger That! I'm 53, had the car 5 wks and so far I'm really impressed.
    My wife and I own a pair of 2000 Mazda Protege ES's Both with a tick over 24,000 miles. Not one problem, so far!

-Larry
    I ordered my ES 6-18, I'm starting to get anxious. 6 to 8 weeks seems like a long time!!!!
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    My wife, my new son and I zoom-zoomed over to my parent's house Saturday evening for dinner. After dinner, we put Sean in his stroller and went for a walk around the old block where I grew up, savoring the nostalgia (and gawking at how run-down the neighborhood's starting to look!). Anyway, we got about three houses down, and I ran into two "kids" I used to babysit -- I'm 36 now, and they're in their upper 20s I guess! They were doing the same thing -- visiting their parents for an evening. Well, GUESS WHAT was parked in the driveway -- a BRAND NEW (temporary tags and all) blue Protege5!!!!! I was SO jealous -- but I got a chance to give it a good once-over, and then they had to leave -- man, that engine sounded tight! I tell you, I've seen that car in yellow and silver -- well, that was the first dark-colored Pro5 I've seen. NICE!!!

Meade
    Well, the dealer might swap you a new PRO-5, "even up" for your wife and your 2000 PRO-ES? You can always pick up an older used wife later on? Hehe!!! BTW, tell Tammy, I said hi! Trudy, L J and I, WILL take a trip south to see you guys! Hopefully, before Sean starts MIT?

Meade, last time I took both my ES's in for service at Lancaster Toyota Mazda, they were taking delivery of 6 PRO-5's. If only, I had a couple extra grand to throw in. I tell you, I was so close to grabbing a sales guy and swapping my pair of PRO's for a pair of PRO-5's. They even had two identical blue one's that day. Sweet mother of all that is good and pure, I was really tempted!

-Larry
    I ordered "factory" mudflaps, front & rear from mazdastuff. I have to take it in for some minor bodywork and thought about having the flaps painted body color. But can't quite decide whether to leave them black like they come. Your opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Yooper53, it depends on what kind of plastic they are made of. Paint won't stick to some plastics. And if they have a rough finish like the mirrors, that is a problem, too.

If you paint them, you have the additional problem of paint flaking off in winter ice and snow storms, when you drive on plowed roads. Not to mention cleaning those, too.

I’d give that a lot of thought before going into it.

fowler3
    I've had mud flaps on Hondas and in the winter the wheels/tires kick up a lot of slush that builds up against the mud flaps, then freezes at night. Hard to get it off and makes shoveling out more difficult if you get stuck.

That's why I was glad my Mazda dealer didn't pre-install mud flaps on the Protegé, leaving me with no option. Although, here in NC they don't get as much snow as in VA. And I usually stay home until it's gone off the roads. ;)

fowler3
  • kaiserheadkaiserhead Member Posts: 166
    I just wanted to say hi to all the Protege owners out there, especially the Canadians who I'm sure will be out in the coldest weather trying to keep the road salt, grizzly bear scratches, and bug splats off their Proteges!!

My 2000 SE has been basking in the hot Florida sun for the last few months and I'm trying to prevent the day I have to introduce her to the dreaded Toronto ice, snow and road salt!!

Cheers,

kaiserhead
    What in the heck are you doing in Florida. Be very careful, I heard the sharks down there love Canadians!
    :-)

Larry
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Finally!

I scanned some pictures of my White 95 DX after I waxed it last month, and posted them at

http://photos.yahoo.com/ashutoshsm

(Tried to post the html link, but couldn't figure out how, got to rush!)

Just 4 photos, for now!

I forgot to scan in a photo of three generations of Proteges (including mine) that were parked together - a white 95 DX (mine), a white 97 LS and a silver 00 ES. Will, one of these days!

Notice that I haven't taken any of the front or front left corner - that's where it was dinged in the parking lot in Februrary, boo hoo!

And no, I don't have clear corners in the front, thats just the extra dim (or parking) lights, the blinkers are on the front bumper, lage and old-fashined, but quite cool IMHO :-)

ps: Also posted this at the Photo Gallery Forum - not too many others have added their pix! I'd love to see a few non ES, somewhat older ones there to compare how other cars of this age have held up - mine seems to be the only pre-2000 non-ES, except for protegetechs 97 or 98 LX there!

Hi all,
    I didn't want to think about it, but Kaiser's post got me all worked up about canadian winters and my new Pro!!! Anybody have any advice on preparing my '01 Pro for the winter? How about some words of wisdom on surviving the winter! I ask now so that I have time to prep! Thanks all.

Protege_fan
  • barosbaros Member Posts: 8
    for warranty repair this morning. (Driver side window won't go down)Looked at cars on showroom floor. They have a Pro ES - dealer add-ons,two-tone paint $1,495.00, Leather seats with Mazda logo $995.00(sharp),and dash kit $495.00 looks to be faux mother of pearl (cheesy).Must be selling every Pro they get to add 3k to sticker.........
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    For some reason my earlier post got erased. Mazda now has 0% financing again on Protoges except for the P5 and MP3.
  • tulanekid22tulanekid22 Member Posts: 8
    For some reason, my posts on rebates got deleted too. Is Mazda going to extend the $500 rebate and the $400 college grad rebate. The Mazda USA web site says both expired 07/09. Any insight??

Thanks
  • tulanekid22tulanekid22 Member Posts: 8
    I called the 800 customer assistance number and got new information on rebates. There are two options - either special 0% financing on Pro ES and LX2.0 or $1000 rebate. On the DX and LX, there is either a $1500 rebate or $500 rebate with the 0% special financing. The $400 college grad rebate is also still in effect.

Seems like now is still a good time to buy a new protege.

Zoom Zoom Zoom
    I feel particularly qualified to comment on driving and surviving heavy winter weather. As I sit here I'm 20 mi. from Lk. Superior's south shore.On and off I've lived 32 winters here. 1)snow tires. My last car,a '96 V6 Ford Contour with 60 series all season radials was just about useless without snow tires. With FWD 4 are recommended and with them the car the car handled fine. But Lord the sound of 4 snows for 5 months wears thin early on. Anyway with previous winters all season radials had always sufficed. Did I say this was my first experience with low profile tires in winter? Which Pro model do you have? The point I'm getting at is that with the 50 series oem tires I don't really expect it to handle snow any better than my last car so may end up buying 4 snows this winter. 2)Parking.. Don't know what your situation will be north of the border but if you're in a pos to plug in while parked a block heater is a great investment and relatively cheap. Your engine will love you for it and you get heat sooner with one. Had a friend get a block heater installed at the "corner garage" and it leaked til he got rid of the car. Caveat emptor! Well I've been long winded enough (for now). I'm sure others from the "Far North" will post ideas. Good luck with the move. Yooper53
  • djmax813djmax813 Member Posts: 30
    My commute is only about 12 miles round trip each day. But i get such a rush in the morning getting into my 2001 Pro Es. You'd think i had a Jag or a Benz or something. It is so much fun to drive. I push it on some of these back roads. Barely have to hit the throttle. Very responsive acceleration and steering. Am i crazy to feel this way about basically a Japanese compact family sedan?
  • mhallackmhallack Member Posts: 32
    You aren't nuts at all. I'm amazed at how much fun my new MP3 is to drive. I was looking in the 25k to 35k range of sports sedans when I test drove the MP3 (which I had very little intention of buying). I can't say that it outperforms the IS300 or the BMW 325, but it absolutely would hang with them in a series of S-bends -- and for about half the price! Zoom - Zoom
    Thanks for the advice Yooper....I have a 2001 LS 2.0 Black manual Pro. Now I've driven lots in winter...but that was in my father's MPV and my g/f's Jetta. Here in Canada, most dealerships, including mine, include a block heater. So there's no worries about that. But I wasn't sure about the tires...Would the OEM Potenza's work well in the winter or would I be a lot better off buying a new set of winters? If so, can anybody recommend a brand (mid level...not too cheap and not too expensive)?
    Also, any advice on keeping the car rust free? The City uses a lot of salt/gravel on the roads and I know that this would be extremely harsh on the car. When is it safe to wash in the winter (if ever at all)? I plan on gettting the front and rear mudguards ASAP, so that's covered.
    Thanks for any advice!!

Protege_fan
    I don't know if you want to spend $500 or so. However,
    a guy (Gene) that posted here, pretty much last fall and winter, purchased four winter snow tires and rims from Tirerack.com. He really liked the setup and said he got great service from the people at Tirerack.

http://www.tirerack.com

-Larry
    Hi, I see oem's on your LX 2.0 are R195/55R15's. I don't know enough about tire grading to know if that size is considered low profile. If they're Not you may do well w/oem's. Although I can now keep my cars in unheated garage I still plugged my '96 Contour in. For about 4 hrs. BUT I need to get one put in the Pro, guess I'll go w/the dealer I bought it from for the installation. For some reason protege_fan I got the impression you'd never driven winter. Must be geezerdom slippin' up on me. Take care. Dennis
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    Does anyone know if the S Plan applies to all Mazda vehicles? I am assuming it does, but you just never know.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    The answer is yes, sort-of. S-plan acceptance depends on the dealer's willingness to accept it. They make next to nothing on the deal so they may not like to lose an important vehicle in their allocation that could have been sold near MSRP. Also, I think the Tribute is exempt from the S-plan currently due to heavy back orders on it.

:)
    You aren't nuts! I hope. I get a rush just looking at my 2001 LX 2.0 sitting in the garage and sit in it at night, in the garage, with the lights on. Love the green instrument lighting. I don't drive much at night so that's the only way I get to see the lighting. Protegés are NOT just basic Japanese compact sedans. They are compact sport sedans at bargain prices with much lower maintenance costs.

Since I live where there are no curvy roads, I use a nearby overpass and the return off ramps for fun driving, going around and around.

I've owned many small cars in my time: Original VW Beetle (2), VW Squareback, Toyota station wagon, Porsche 914, BMW 2002, Audi Fox (3), Mazda GLC, and Honda Civic -- the Protegé is the best of all of them!

fowler3
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    As much fun as the Protege is to drive hard, STOP! After 45,000 miles on my '99 ES 5-spd, I have found that this vehicle is built to be driven like an economy car, not a sports sedan. The OEM tires were bald in 18,000 miles. The front brakes replaced at 20,000 miles. The clutch will need to be replaced in the next 5,000 miles. The suspension creaks. The interior rattles like a 20 year old car. The steering has developed some play in it. The shifter has become a major pain with lots of play, and you have to fight to get it in reverse. The engine goes TICK TICK TICK like a 300,000 mile Honda. Fuel economy has diminished considerably. Power has diminished considerably. I'm fairly positive this engine will require major work before it hits the 100,000 mile mark. I will replace the timing belt at 55,000 miles because the last Mazda 1.8L I had broke it's timing belt at 58,000 miles. By the time 60,000 miles comes around, I will need another set of tires and will have to redo all of the brakes. Gee. It sounds like an old beat-up car. I'm so glad I still have to make monthly payments for the next 2.5 years. I wonder if the car will make it that long. I have been extremely disappointed with the Protege now. I will not buy one again. The ride is extremely harsh and I have to blast the radio so I don't hear the rattles and road noise and wind noise. It is the worst car I have ever owned. Sorry to disappoint anyone here. I hope the newer ones are built better. I can't wait to catch up on depreciation. I can't believe how fast this car has depreciated. The sad thing is that the Protege/Familia/323 is Mazda's most reliable model worldwide. If this is the case, maybe the company should go bankrupt. By the time I am done paying off this car, I estimate I will have spent $5,000 on repairs and maintenance. I bought this car to get away from dumping money into a vehicle to keep it going. It seems my decision was wrong. Good luck everyone with yours. Perhaps mine was just a fluke of early production. Either way, I will probably never buy another Mazda again, unless perhaps I win the Lotto and can afford to keep one up and running...
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Jerry? did a demon take over your body? it's not April 1st so I don't know what to make of it.

:)
    I am utterly shocked at the review you just gave your Protege ES. Up until now, I thought you loved it more than anything.

I have a 2001 ES with almost 10,000 miles on the clock, and already have a persistent creak in the driver's seat that the dealer cannot find or fix. I also have alot of wind noise, which I knew going into the deal. And my brake rotors are already warped too, but the dealer hasn't found that one yet either. He has 2000 or so more miles before the 12K mark when I will have to pay to replace them.

I had a 1999 DX model, and it ran flawlessly. I used to run that engine alot harder than the 2.0 in my ES, and never had a problem. Actually, I did have one or two come to think of it. I had a persistent transmission shifting problem where the car tranny would kinda slip when stabbing the gas pedal to pass. Also, the engine stated vibrating a little harshly at 37K or so too. I think it was because the tune-up at 30K was done wrong (by Goodyear) though.

I hope to be able to have many trouble-free years of motoring with my ES though. I guess time will tell whether I will buy another one or not. Probably not though, as I want a larger car next time around. And Jerry, you are right about depreciation. I owe about $17K on my ES now, and know it's probably only worth about $13K, even though it has only 10K on it and it's 5 months old. I got washed with the DX, as it was only worth $7500 with 37,364 on it 20 months after purchasing. Of course, that is high mileage though, and the DX is the basic, stripped model.

In closing, I wish you better luck with your next car, Jerry. And sorry to see your enthusiasm dimish for this great little car. :(

ZOOM "creak" ZOOM
    What is everyone's average fuel economy anyway? Mine is pretty much in the 25-27 mpg neighborhood with a 2.0/automatic 2001 ES and a heavy foot. Mostly highway driving (80%) at 70-90 mph. Thanks!
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Avg mpg is about 28.6mpg, with about 60/40 city/hwy miles on a 1.6L 1999 LX.

With mostly hwy miles (above 80%), I get 32-34mpg. I'd say I'm travelling at the 80% percentile so far as traffic speed goes (faster than most, but not THE fastest...I get less attention that way). :)
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Sorry about your rapidly deteriorating Pro. :(

Seems like a fluke so far. My 99 is still doing well after 19,500 miles. There's some rust on some underbody suspension parts and the rear drum casings, but the body integrity is still good (rattles are mostly from stuff in my glovebox). Then again, I don't drive mine that hard. Luckily, the roads here are mostly OK.

I know it's no consolation, but most cars with stock parts that are driven hard will fall apart (VW, BMW, Honda etc.) in a few years. I've been in rattling examples of pretty much all makes (some due to hard driving, most due to bad design or execution).

Well, Mercedes and some of GM's larger sedans may not, but they're usually overbuilt. May be next time you can get one of BMW's "M" cars. They usually have upgraded brakes, rotors, suspension bits to better bear hard use. Still, I'd be looking at replacing them parts at 60 or 90k miles if you push them hard.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    I'm happy if I can break 280 miles per tank with about 50/50 city/highway. I'm ecstatic if I can break 350 miles per tanks with all highway. Basically, that breaks down to 21 mpg 50/50, and 26 mpg highway. I probably average about 18 mpg around town. For some reason, it doesn't seem to matter how I drive the car. It just always gets lousy mileage. I remember when I was averaging 31-32 mpg on the highway, and about 26 mpg in town.