Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mazda4lifemazda4life Member Posts: 1
    Hello folks, I'm new to this town hall. I recently bought a 2001 Mazda Protege ES. I love it! I'll elaborate on it later on. I recently got my windows tinted, I live in San Antonio, Texas, because its HOT down here. I wanted to put my 2 cents into the conversation. I choose to go with FormulaOne tint, but SolarGaurd is a tint I've used in the past as well. I got mine done at Custom Sounds and I'm pretty pleased with the results. I choose the high performance film over the dyed film (not recommended, low quality, only 3 year warranty), and the all metallic film (would have gotten it but too expensive and does not come in dark enough color). It cost me $131 after $20 off coupon found in the back of the yellow pages. Tinting is pretty reasonable down here. The sides are 35% (Darn state law), but the back is 15% and so is the eye brow. It makes the tint look darker than it really is. It makes a huge difference in driving conditions, no glare. I think the best suggestion I have for all out there is go with a major brand of tint (look at the web site TintDude), don't get the dyed tint (cheapest one), and shop around. Also pay attention to how the people are at the shop. Is is a back alley shop or a legit shop, etc. Look for coupons too, especially at the back of the yellow pages. Also, no one down here would tint my sunroof. They told me that the glass is of a different material than the rest of the car and if tinted it will absorb enough heat to cause it to expand enought to crack. Well I've said plenty. Oh, yeah, go as dark as possible without going Limo dark (overdoing it), you'll love it. Alright folks, talk to you later.

Peace Y'all!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I won't second guess his motives, I was just calling a spade a spade.

:)
  • black01coupev6black01coupev6 Member Posts: 195
    Gone for a couple of days and I have to spend 45 minutes reading posts...

I am about to get my windows tinted..here in Atlanta they want around $300 for tint. I've had my last few cars tinted in Clearwater, FL for $110 w/ lifetime warranty. Me thinks me will be taking a drive to Florida soon. The name of the place is Pelican and they did an awesome job on my 99 Accord. Just can't justify paying $300... the guy at the place here said that the titanium tint used at the other place was out-dated and would discolor. I had the 99 Accord for 2 years and there was no discoloration or bubbles in the tint, so for the $200 difference I will take my chances and enjoy the drive.

As far as California goes..I went to a wedding in San Miguel..not sure if you are familar with that. It's about 150 miles or so south of San Fran I think. I enjoyed being in California but in San Fran a 1 bedroom shack/cottage was over $200,000. It's not worth it to me. I will stay in GA..pay lower gas prices, lower mortgage (WAY LOWER), and not have to worry about eartquakes. However, I will take every opportunity to visit Cali.
    Cool! bring your wallet and lighten it here in CA. We love tourists!

• theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    I think it looks great too, but I don't think it'd go well w/ the Protege. The black trim around the doors whould stand out pretty bad...
  • nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    I had lunch with the guy who owns the modified Protege today. He lives in Ohio.
    Its a Black 01 ES 2.0 (auto. Yes, automatic) with the spoiler and all decals removed. It has 17in rims that look very much like the ones on the MP3. Its a totally custom 50-shot NOS system with the bottle bolted to the floor behind the passenger seat where you can reach it from the drivers seat. He also has injectors for 100-shot but has not tried them. He claims that with the 50-shot system (on the dyno) it makes 140hp at the wheels with no other mods. I dont know what that translates to at the crank (perhaps 170???). As expected, he says he gets horrible torque steer and lots of wheel spin when he wants it. He also claims that 0-60 is in the high 7sec and pulls the 1/4 in 16sec. I'm not sure I buy those numbers. My ES 2.0 auto probably gets to 60mph in 11sec so I dont think that the 40-50hp he is getting would strip 3+sec. He wants to do lots of intake and exhaust mods but is having trouble finding quality parts.
    I wonder what this does to his warranty?
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Thanks for the responses. I did see a 1 bedroom in Point Loma for about $700. I do have a degree, but I have no experience since I just graduated. That economic forcast that you were talking about doesn't sound good. I have "connections" down there, but they are all military. Orange County you say MaltB? Isn't that LA? I also have relatives in Fallbrook (sp?). If I could find a job in Southern California, I would be there yesterday. I just don't know where to start besides an internet job search.
    Fallbrook is the north, inland part of SD county. North of that is Camp Pendleton and north of that is Orange County. Keep going North on the 5, wave at the Mazda HQ and go about 30 miles and you'll be in LA County.

Fallbrook isn't bad as you can commute to both OC and SD counties.

I think you are on track with hotjobs.com or the Sunday edition of a local paper ( www.ocregister.com ). I'm sure Jerry will give you his local one as well.

Do you work at Mazda HQ?
  • mhallackmhallack Member Posts: 32
    I don't know if anybody has noticed but there is a MP3 on Ebay that nobody has bid on. Based on what I've heard people pay (and what I paid for my MP3) the $16,000 starting price is pretty attractive (though it is reserve, so theres no way to tell how low/high it could go for).
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    ...but we will soon have a new member joining us. A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy Far Far Away... In the Hyundai Elantra vs. Mazda Protege board, I have helped a Town Hall member decide on the Protege ES rather than the highly competetive Elantra and Sentra. Of course, Mazda's 0.0% APR and the S-Plan certainly helped. But, with payments equalling that of the cheaper Elantra, there was no better decision than the Protege!! Larry, thanks for all of your postings in there!! You took all of the heat off of me, LOL!!
  • webbrwebbr Member Posts: 2
    Hi shrique,

I imagine most people who've purchased a Protege or Sentra in the last couple of years (since the Sentra redesign) have compared these two very similar cars. Both are reliable cars which fall towards the sporty end of the small car spectrum. You probably can't loose either way, but for me the Protege ES won hands down. I much preferred its exterior and interior styling, the interior space, and ergonomic feel. In particular, the shifter, steering and stereo controls of the protege feel much better to me. I LOVE the handling of Protege, but I can't honestly say that I know its better than the Sentra. I've never taken a test drive where I'm allowed to push a car enough to really feel a difference and I'm skeptical of anyone who says they could tell a difference only from a test drive. Reviewers seem to say that both cars have outstanding handling.

My only reservation was that a similarly equipped Protege was a bit more expensive. When Mazda started offering the customer cash rebate, college grad rebate, low financing, free sunroof (when I purchased I was able to get all of the above - this is not always the case at times you must choose between the financing and rebate) it became no contest.

One important point and judging by your inquiry it may be something weighing on your mind - I think many people have purchased the Sentra based on its higher horsepower and I'm guessing the folks on the Sentra board will tell you the Sentra feels much more powerful than the Protege. This is good marketing by Nissan but simply isn't true, at least not for the way 99% of us drive.

This a bit technical but hopefully my point will be clear:

The torques of the two engines are essentially identical and the protege's peak comes on earlier (135 ft-lbs @ 4000 rpm vs. 136 ft-lbs @ 4800 rpm for the Sentra). Thus, if anything, the Protege should feel slightly more powerful where most of us do our driving in the 2000-5000 rpm range. It is only at the very top end that the Sentra starts to out-torque the Protege hence the higher horsepower rating (horsepower is simply the product of torque * rpm).

In addition the Protege is lighter (very slightly) and, more significantly, is geared more aggresively. So, for example, in a drag race the Protege will jump off the line somewhat quicker and will push you into the back of your seat with more force (what most people consider to be the feeling of "power"). The gains for the Sentra come only at the top of each gear because the Protege will ask to be upshifted sooner.

So the Sentra will win the race, but all the gains will come while the Sentra is running at ~5500-6500 rpm in first gear, while the Protege has already upshifted to 2nd. And again with the Sentra in 2nd while the Prot is in 3rd etc. Even if you drive quite aggresively, your not likely to feel this very often in everyday driving.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    iamz is nuts to be jogging in high temperatures. Let me tell you something iamz, a heat stroke is no fun. I almost got what the Viking player got, a couple years ago.

I was working in the yard doing some planting in 98 degree heat, 90% humidity, and suddenly I felt really sick. Real weak, started seeing sparkling things, got dizzy, went inside and sat down under a ceiling fan. It got worse.I had sevear stomach cramps. Clammy all over. Drank three glasses of ice water and I got over it by the next morning.

My doctor said if I had stayed outside another 10 minutes I would have died. Those cramps were caused by the approaching stroke, damage to internal organs. Next time it will happen faster because of the first attack.

It can hit you so fast. So take it easy and stay cool. And wear a hat! You will be glad you did years later when others are getting skin cancer. It takes a long time for it to develop.

fowler3
    After test driving the 2001, and driving dozens on new 1999 and 2000 Protege ES's, I really feel that the 1999 and 2000 ES is the quickest. The extra low-end torque is nice on the 2001 ES 2.0, but it seems extremely reluctant to rev compared to the 1.8L. Is it just me? Car and Driver tested the 1999 ES at 8.4 seconds to 60mph. I haven't seen numbers near that for the 2001.

Also, we haven't really discussed what will be coming for the 2002 MP3 (or will they call it MPS?). We know that it will be powered by something that "whistles." Will it be a supercharger or turbocharger? Horsepower? Torque? It would be great if Mazda put a 6-spd in it. Anyone heard anything?
  • bondobobbondobob Member Posts: 34
    It would be wonderful if Mazda could find a six speed to hook up to the 2.0 litre motor. (Even better if it would bolt up in place of the five cog box.)

I am finding that the MP3 five speed has a really tall 1st gear. There is also a big hole between 2nd and 3rd. In fifth, you are turning 3500rpm at 75, at 110 you are into the 5000 range.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I have driven a 1999 and a 2000 ES automatic model, and own a 2001 ES 2.0 model. The 1.8 does seem a little more willing to rev, but their performance seems to be about the same. Of course, with the 5-speed, it might be a little different.
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    Thanks for the insight webbr.

After driving both in the same day I did find that the handling of the Protege felt lighter and more nimble. The Sentra felt heavier but it really stuck to the road when corning. Your right though the interior of the Pro is much roomier and very quiet. I was very impressed with that. I did notice though that the performance of the sentra FELT a little faster than the Pro.

I don't know I keep running it back and forth and I guess I just have to figure out if the perceived performance gain (the sentra is approximately 1 sec faster 0-60 when flogged) is worth it to me. I felt comfortable in both cars......I don't know.

Of course if I just figured out a way to get the extra 15 HP from the pro without resorting to NOS and keeping it cheaper than the $1k or so difference in price then I can just buy the Pro. (grin)

You know when it comes to test drives I just flog the car hard. I figure I'm here to evaluate a car I don't let the salesman tell me where to go I just tell him right off the bat that I'm going to drive him around for a while. Me and a WRX salesman had one heckuva ride not too long ago. You know that car really is tailhappy on high g corners. (chuckle)
    People who test drive cars like you is one very good reason that you should be leary about buying dealer demos. :)

The Protege has its advantages over the Sentra. Personally, I prefer the Protege's styling to the Sentra's. The back of the Nissan is just plain ugly IMO, but the Protege looks very nice to me. Also, the interior of the Protege is a LOT roomier than the Sentra. I didn't have a problem making a choice between the two, as I am 6'3 and couldn't really fit into the Sentra. :) But if you plan to have passengers in the back seat of the car for more than 15 or so mins., I would strongly suggest you choose the Protege.
    The reason why you haven't seen numbers near that for the 2001 is because no one that I have seen has tested the 2001 ES sedan 0-60 and I read a lot of car mags (Motor Trend, Automobile, Road & Track, Car and Driver, SCC, Super Street, Motorweek). If you know of a Mag that tested (not estimated) the 01 ES sedan 0-60, I want to read it. That car and driver test you are talking about for the 99-00 cars had them pegged at 8.9 seconds 0-60. The september issue of Car and Driver has a write up on the MP3 and it did 0-60 in 8.2 seconds.
    The Car and Driver article I am referring to is their first review of the '99 Protege ES. It is a November '98 article published just after the 1999 launch. I tried to post the link, but I get the error about posting more than 115 characters. Go to Car and Driver and in the search box enter "Mazda". At the very bottom of the results page is the link to the article, "Mazda Protege ES November 1998, An old favorite gets renewed and in the process gets much applause, too."
    I haven't seen that article since I was shopping for a Protoge. I know I read it way back when, but I didn't remember it since I wasn't looking at Protoges back then. Thanks for the info. Anyways, what mags have done full tests on the 01 ES sedan?
  • dbroccardodbroccardo Member Posts: 12
    I'm considering purchasing a 2001 Protege ES , and I wanted to know if current owners religiously adhere to the Mazda-recommended services and service intervals. I particularly want to exclude car-obsessed individuals that, for example, have a 8 year old Prot and change the oil every 2500 miles, rotate tires every 5000 miles, and have the radiator flushed every year, plugs changed every 20K, new timing belt at 45K "just in case".

I'd like feedback from the typical person, who changes the oil every 5000 miles, plus or minus 500 miles, gets their first tune up/rad flush/trans check around 30K, rotates tires each 15K and generally doesn't obsess over the car.

Will a Protege with this "relaxed" maintenance plan, driven reasonably, last 5-7 years? Or is following the Mazda service recommendations absolutely required for maximum vehicle life (excluding warrenty concerns)?

Dave
    I haven't seen that article since I was shopping for a Protoge. I know I read it way back when, but I didn't remember it since I wasn't looking at Protoges back then. Thanks for the info. Anyways, what mags have done full tests on the 01 ES sedan?
    I used to have a 1999 Protege DX, which I maintained normally. I used to change the oil and rotate the tires every 7500 miles. I got a tune-up at 27K, and drove the car hard all the time. I also needed 2 new tires and a set of brakes by 27K as well. In the total of 20 months and 37,364 miles (as long as I kept it before trading it on a 2001 ES), I spent like $600 in maintenance on it, including 3 tires (one was lost at 9K due to a puncture), the 30K service (done at Goodyear), oil changes, air filter, wiper blades, and 2 alignments. These cars can definitely take a beating and keep on going. And also, 5K is about normal for maintenance anyway. Considering I have a friend that drove 25K without changing her oil, 5K is damn near perfect. :)
    I am going to try to time my car from 0-60 mph (2001 ES automatic). I will probably run the test like 5 times to get a variable time. I will have to use a stopwatch though, but will post the results when I get time to do it.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    They're pretty reliable. I have a '99LX that I change the oil (synthetic) and filter on every 7500 miles or major season change, whichever comes first. I've rotated the tires ONCE (I'm trying to wear out the factory-spec FR680s). Just passed 23000 miles (short commute).

I still have an ancestor to the Pro, an '89 323LX that has surpassed 137000 miles and is still going strong (some body rust...darn midwestern salted roads). On pretty much the same intervals so far as regular maintenance, although I rotate the tires regularly as I like the Michelins I put on it. I also put on new springs and shocks at about 96000 miles (slight sagging), it's on its second radiator and 3rd muffler (2nd was a poor-quality Midas job...won't do that again). I guess I'll be holding onto it until the body disintegrates (it's my first new car).

If you take reasonably good care of the Pro (or any similarly well-designed and constructed car), it'll last you well past 100000 miles.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    anyone interested in a 2000 pro ES? brand new?
    my dealer(Pacifico Mazda, Philadelphia) has a few for @12,000.
    anybody think that the tranny is not shifting smoothly?

Change the tranny fluid. Worked like a charm for me!!
  • bjewettbjewett Member Posts: 62
    Not to beat a dead horse but...it isn't dead yet.

I also drove a sentra se followed by the protege es stick in the same day. Despite
    the HP difference, the protege 'felt' about as fast, confirming what the torque
    info is telling us. The sentra is a -very- nice car with a great interior, but there
    is very little back seat room. When I set the front seat the way I like it (which isn't
    all the way back), I could barely fit in the back. And, the protege chassis is nothing
    less than terrific.

My only wish is for more power in the protege, though I can live without it and
    will probably buy a 5-speed ES 1ES this fall (if I can find one).
  • dbroccardodbroccardo Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the feedback.

Now on to the interesting part... How would a "relaxed" maintenance schedule affect the warrenty of the engine, should there be a major problem?

I don't know what intervals Mazda recommends for "severe" driving, but if you can only show you changed the oil every 7500 miles instead of the recommended (required?) 5000 miles, do they have enough to deny the service or claim? During the 36Mo/50K (is that correct) warrenty, shouldn't you keep to the mainenance plan, then after the warrenty period, do what you want....?

Dave
    Someone on the P5 board is trying to choose between a 2001 Altima and a P5. I know Nikecar (in this room) has both cars, but I haven't seen him in awhile. Are you out there Nikecar? We need your advice. :)

I was thinking of having my 2001 Protege repainted a lighter color (have alot of scratches anyway), but not for a little bit yet. How hard is it going from black to blue, yellow, or white anyway?
    The maintenance schedule for "normal" driving on all Protege models calls for the oil changes to be done at 7500 miles. Since I do almost all highway driving, I changed the oil in my 1999 DX then. I change it a more frequent 5000 miles in my 2001 ES, because I plan to keep it a long time.
  • cmulqueencmulqueen Member Posts: 14
    Hi everyone,
    I posted this message on the Protege5 board under station wagons. Someone replied saying that there's an owner of both the Protege and the Altima (named Nikecar). At any rate, if anyone has any opinions about this comparison, I would be grateful to hear from you.

I don't suppose there's anyone out there who has owned (or driven) both a Protege5 and an Altima? I'm strongly considering buying the P5, but haven't yet driven the Altima. I loved my test drive of the P5, both the automatic and manual. There are a couple of issues guiding my decision. Price: The 01 Altima is attractive because there is a $2000 rebate and they're trying to get rid of them to make way for the newly redesigned '02 model. I can probably get a nicely outfitted GXE for $15,500 or maybe even a little less (if Edmunds is accurate). This is about $1500 less than the P5.

The other issues are performance, reliability, and space. As I said, I haven't yet driven the Altima (will do so this weekend). From what I know, both cars should be reliable. The wagon is a nice alternative for the extra space, but I'm also considering the Protege ES sedan.

Any input into the comparison of these two cars would be greatly appreciated!

Also, any opinion about the difference between the P5 automatic vs. manual? I liked the manual but might end up hating it in DC traffic!
    I have a 2001 ES which came with standard fog lights. I want to have them rewired so I can turn them on with the parking lights only. Would that be a pretty easy operation or not? I had fog lights put on my last Protege (a DX) at Best Buy, but they already said they won't rewire for me. Where can I get it done, and how hard would it be for me (somewhat smart when it comes to manual labor) to do it myself? Thanks! :)
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    Thanks for your concern in regards to jogging/running in high temperatures. If it makes you feel any better, on days when the temps are high,

1.)I am careful to drink as much water as my body can handle before heading out on a run.

2.)I run at a much slower pace.

3.)I check my heart rate frequently.

Also, I do not weigh 300 lbs and wear football gear (5'11" tall/133 lbs) In other words, I disipate heat easily. I run all the time. I spend 20 minutes in a sauna after every run (even hotter).

What it comes down to, is some people are more at risk than others. Korey Stringer knew enough to quit his workout on Monday, but felt compelled to keep going on Tuesday because of the photo published in the local Star Tribune.

You are absolutly right though that heat stroke can sneak up on a person, and that is why I take extra precautions on hot days.

And in my defense, I did say I was an Idiot. ;-)
    What do you have a degree in? Here are the links I use for my job searches:

http://www.saic.com

This is the company I work for. The acronym stands for Science Applications International Corporation. It is a Fortune 500 research and engineering defense contractor, but we are expanding into the commercial field. We are employee-owned and have outstanding benefits and retirement packages. We are also the largest employer in San Diego and we have over 48,000 employees spread out through 130+ countries. We always have a lot of job openings, but we are contract-based, so the jobs come and go.

http://joblink.uniontrib.com

This is our local newspaper's online job listing. This is another great place to look for available positions. There are a lot of temporary agencies that advertise here.

http://www.monster.com

This is a well known and widely used website for job seekers and employers. Hundreds of jobs in the San Diego area are listed.

Good Luck!!

I have a B.S. in business with an emphasis in information technology. I know, I know, its only a business degree, but I busted my hump for it. I don't know how I would go about searching for a job in SD because if someone did offer me an interview, I'd have to fly down there for it. That could get expensive. It seems like I need to have a job to be able to live there, but I also need to live there in order to get a job. It almost as if it is a lose/lose situation.

Anyways, I changed the manual transmission fluid out of my 01 ES today and switched it to synthetic GL5 75W90 weight at 8000 miles. I am being a freak about maintainance but it seems like it shifts smoother now...... its probably in my head. One thing I do know is that it will shift smoother in cold temperatures; this past winter it shifted really harshly when it was cold in the morning.
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    BlackCoupe and others who have owned other cars speak favorably of the PRO's ride. I never drove a Honda Civic (or any Honda) or Toyota, bought the PRO solely on Consumer Reports and Car&Driver reports. On my daily commute, the interstate is uneven, I guess, because there are parts where I do a lot of bobbing in the Pro. It's not unbearable but definitely noticeable. My 82 Jetta with 235K rides better although you could feel it if you ran over a pothole. I have the Dunlop 5000's and the tire guys did inflate it to 35. Should I step it down to 32 as recommended. Would that help? Also are there any suspension mods that help the ride? Any comments from those who have had Civics, Sentras etc. My recent other cars have been mid-size Fords (Taurus/Sable). I'm certainly not unhappy with my PRo (2200 miles so far no problems I'm really babying this one)
    When you have your Pro painted ask them to paint it to match the scratches. ;) j.k.

Deciding between a Pro5 and an Altima, hmmm. If 01 Altimas are going for only $15K makes you wonder if that isn't the true market value all along. ;)

I think I would wait to see the 2002 Altima before deciding. I saw a silver Pro5 this afternoon and it really stands out in a crowd of ho-hum bland sedans.

When you go shopping at a mall, or whereever, do you ever look around the parking lots and wonder why people buy such ugly, plain cars? Not one of them is a model, color, or styling you would buy.

Makes me wonder why Mazda advertises yellow Pro5's and Laser Blue MP3's. Maybe they should have a rust-colored one for the Wal-Mart shopers. ;)

Sorry I missed tonight's chat, I have been tied up on freelance work since Wednesday a week ago. Worked Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday 13 hour a days, only worked 11 hours today.

fowler3
    It's got stiff suspension, short wheelbase, and low profile tires..get use to it. Soft it ain't. Instead of "Zoom Zoom" the Pro's slogan should be "Like a Rock." Sorry Chevy. ;)

fowler3
    The Protege has a very good ride for it's price and class. It's a little better than a Civic, comparable to a Jetta, and eons better than a Mirage, Cavalier, Neon, old Sentra (haven't really driven a new one), or Corolla.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I don't know about Maryland, but in Virginia, it's illegal to run driving lights with parking lights ... they're only supposed to be usable and used with low-beam headlights. In Virginia, if you do that kind of modification, the car won't pass annual state inspection.

And ... how long have you had your Protege? You're already dissatisfied with the color? Maybe you should've spent some more time at the dealer's lot! Geesh!

(Hey, I have some nicks & scratches too! That's what polish and touch-up paint are for!)

Meade
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Probably the easiest thing to do is just as you mentioned: reduce the cold tire pressure to 32psi from 35psi. You'll see economy go down a few percentage points, but the ride will be softer.

Also, when it comes time to replace those nice Dunlops (performance-type tires), choose a touring type tire or something with a lower performance rating. Tire Rack collects users' comments on tires, including "Ride". You might want to check out what people say about tires you're interested in. Tires are usually compromises between often contradictory qualities. Quick and accurate response usually come at the cost of soft & supple ride.

After that, I'd look at softer strut cartridges and softer springs (although, with the lower-spring-rates, you have to be careful you don't end up bottoming-out over big bumps and potholes).
    http://www.ec-securehost.com/OnlineTires.com/Toyo_T1-S.html

great prices on this site....

how come they don't advertise as heavily as tirerack?

There was a choice between dark green and black when I got my car, and I had a dark green car before and didn't want one again. Plus, the black just looked so svelt under the bright lights at the dealership that night, that I couldn't say no. I like the laser blue from the MP3 alot, and that or the yellow would be the only colors I would consider. That's a bit down the road though, because the car is just 5 months old now.

I called this place here in Md., and they are willing to rewire my lights for like $25 or something. That's cool. Will have it done next Saturday, and getting tints this Saturday. I am going to post pics of my car eventually, but after I get the tints and lights done. Also bidding on some super white HID bulbs on EBay too, so we will see how that goes.

Oh, and I stand up as the first 2001 ES owner to pass 12,000 miles as of Wednesday. Anyone else close to my mileage yet? :)
    I hope you've learned your lesson ...

NEVER, EVER BUY A CAR AT NIGHT!!!!

(New or used!)

Meade
    I love the black. Especially at night..it looks like a metallic dark gray/black..very nice. Can't wait to get the windows tinted.
    Is your Protege black as well? I have never seen another black one on the road, and also only 2 other 2001 ES models besides mine since my purchase in Feb. of 2001. I like having the unique car. :)
    Did you check out this link that was posted on the Protege5 topic?

http://www.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

Looks like window tinting may be a no-no in Maryland.

Meade