Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    You guys are posting very quickly. Kinda like the Thursday night chats! BTW, where has Fowler been?

-Larry
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    What the heck is that? Jeez, Larry sure killed the posting in here...I was enjoying reading all the posts, but as soon as Larry said his "sweet tuckus" bit, all the posts stopped. Larry please reverse whatever it is you've done. Even Meade's been silent.

Regards,

Protege_fan
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Posts: 293
    AIG cultivates the older group I guess. My policies had claims but it was my kids driving my cars. I put them on separate policies and gave them their own cars. AIG liked that. Also I live in SC (but I think that's one of the most accident prone state). I had Allstate and State Farm. I went from about $760/6 months to $430. Try them again in a few years when you're accident free. We drive conseratively, my wife and I, and we figure that in all probabiity we will be using the other guy's insurance if we have an accident. So the lowest premiums and care less about service
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Posts: 293
    I might add that premium of 430/6 mths was for 3 cars, including one Protege, other two have no comp and collision.
  • First, I would take issue that the MP3 is "just an ES." With gas shocks, lowered springs, strut brace, a somewhat tweaked engine, large wheels and ultra high performance tires, I would no longer call it an "ES" than I would call a Z-28 "just a modified Camaro." But also because the MP3 does not appeal to the same kind of buyer (not better, not worse, just different) and will use the car somewhat differently. MP3 drivers are a different lot, and may want to share a different perspective.
    When the aftermarket starts coming out with some tweaks for the car, it will be important to share information. I would be most interested in increasing horsepower, for example, and would like to know what other owners are doing with this rare and very special car.

Any ideas? Or maybe start a separate board??
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Check out www.probetalk.com ----it has lots of information on modifications for the 2.0L mazda engine. Also try www.corksport.com As far as your analogy about calling a Z28 just a modified Camaro as being the same as calling a MP3 just a modified ES...well, the Z28 is much different than the base Camaro. The MP3 is more similiar to the ES than a base Camaro is to a Z28. The MP3 has what, 10 more horsepower than the ES? A Z28 has a WHOPPING 120 MORE horsepower (320 hp vs. 200 hp) than the base model 3.8L Camaro. I wouldn't refer to your MP3 as the Z28 of Protoges; that was a bad example. ;)
  • Thanks for the tips! The analogy is the best I could come up with on the spot. But I think you'll agree we are talking about a different focus here. (You should pardon the expression.)
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    The Edmunds message board counting system keeps track of all messages ever posted, including those that have been deleted (either by the friendly neighbourhood Edmunds police-people or by the poster her/himself) since they were posted. If you look carefully, messages you post have the Delete and Edit options available for a while after being posted (in fact I'm using the Edit feature to add these last couple of senstences to my original post!)

That's why going to message 3500 leads you to (the visible and undeleted) message number 3450. That means about 50 deleted messages are sprinkled along the way (from 0 to 3500) but just not visible because they've been marked deleted.

If you want a more detailed (geekish) explanation, think linked list with logical deletion - but I don't think we want to go there :-)
    (If someone does, I'd be happy to explain!)

On a side note, I washed and polished (Turtle Wax wax/polish - the one that says "Once a Year", and its my 2nd time in 4 months already!) last weekend and driving in yesterday's heavy rains have left huge splashes all over my nice white car :-(
    Don't you hate when that happens?

Zoom safely.
  • jace1jace1 Posts: 23
    Thanks for all of your input on your Pros. Mike, I'm glad you found your LX 2.0. I'm in Northern New England and may have to expand my search to find one. I don't know if any others feel the same but the ES 2.0, great as it is, has exterior styling we don't care for. I wish the spoiler was an option. I really like the LX 2.0 in sand mica.

If we get the Pro, it will be Mazda #3. Get this, my first was a 1973 RX2 purcahsed new in 1975 (2 year left-over). It was exceptionally quick and smooth with 2 stage carburation. A big surprise to the then quite anemic 2002's of the time. Handling was dicey at times but improved by aftermarket shocks and front swaybar. Mazda#2 was an 81 GLC, base model and ultimately too lacking in equipment but otherwise a solid enough car. Since then I have been driving Hondas (2 Civics and an Accord) and then moved on to a 90 Saab 900, which will be replaced now and a 99 Passat 1.8T. After living with an eleven year old Saab, a reliable Pro would be great.

Jace
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Sorry guys, I had a sudden media event at work here early yesterday afternoon and had to disappear. I still managed to get my Poortenzas rotated and my oil changed too though.

At 24,500 miles, my Poortenzas are almost ready for the dump. The right front one is showing its treadwear indicators this morning, and the others give Mr. Lincoln's hair a nice buzz when I stick a penny in the tread. You know, I love the car ... but these tires have to go. I don't understand why there hasn't been a class-action suit against Bridgestone over THESE models too. I feel VERY unsafe in wet weather. I don't know how you guys fare in automatics that have these tires (1999-2000 ES's), but with the 5-speed, it seems I have no grip at all when taking off from a stop on wet pavement. They seem to take corners better than they take straight-line acceleration in the wet.

Larry, for the safety of me and my family, I'm replacing these suckers very soon. I'll have a "book report" and hands-on exhibit on Yokohama AVID T4s at MAPP II. (Uh, no kicking of my tires, please!)

:)

And good morning, everyone. Let the postings commence!

And no hard feelings, Jerry? I hope your car's doing OK.

Meade
    I had the first full model year Saab 900 -- a 1980 900 GLi. In 1985 with only 70,000 miles on the car, I was sitting at a traffic light and suddenly heard this grinding noise and the car cut off. $2,100 later, I learned that a needle bearing in my 4-speed transmission had shifted and caused the whole transmission to grind itself to pieces. Even the nearly 1-inch solid steel gear shaft was twisted like a pretzel -- no kidding, they let me see it!

I got rid of the car one year later, after I'd had to replace both front brake ROTORS (why? because the pads FELL OFF and the calipers grinded into the rotors during a mountain trip -- the rotors were as smooth as GRAVEL when I got home), the much-touted "Bosch K-Jetronic Fuel Injection System" needed to be replaced, etc., etc. It really was a pity -- that car was the most comfortable, fun-to-drive and (for the early 80's) technologically advanced car I've ever had.

When it was running!!!

Meade
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,327
    Those're the stock on my auto '99LX, y'know, with 14-inch wheels. Yes, I can easily make the tires slip when starting in the wet. I've even drifted when making a turn at moderate speed. Luckily, nobody notice but me, or I'd have heard a lot of screaming.

The tires are OK when the road is dry, but they are terrible in rain or snow. Enough to make me "tiptoe" around curves and ease up on the gas when starting etc.

Still looks like I'm only about half-way through the treadlife, but I'm going to replace them before this fall anyway. Can't stand going through another wet season with them.

Potential replacements: AVID T4, Bridgestone RE910, Micheline X-One. Should I stick with 185/65R14 or go to 195/55R15? I think that narrows it down to the AVID T4s then (most other tires cost mucho bucks at that rare size). But I'm wondering about handling/noise/comfort trade-offs. Wonderfully as the Pro handles, it's sometimes a little jarring over potholes and messed-up RR crossings.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    I think my Bridgestones' got at least 7,500 miles? I have 27,000 miles on them now. Wear-bars not showing and "Honest Abe" can have an AFRO and still clear the top of the tread. If money was no object, I would cut them loose. However, the 30,000 mile service is fast approaching and everything I do for mine, I need to do for my wife's.

-Larry
    They don't have very good wet traction to begin with. And with a treadwear rating of only 160 (lowest I think I've ever seen), you'll be surprised how quickly that "fro" will turn into a "buzz."

:)

Meade

P.S. I received an e-mail from another interested MAPP II attendee this morning, bringing the total number of potential Proteges (including both of yours, Larry) to 11! -- That is, of course, if everyone who sent me an e-mail and requested info actually comes. More realistically, I'd say we have 6-8 Proteges now and about 10-12 people.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    on my auto ES, YES...i can make my wheels spin on a slightly wet road....interesting....one might think "one heck of a powerful auto car" :)
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    I see that the filter for 626-v6 has the same diameter and thread(am i correct?) and is longer than the PRO filter. Any problem if I use that filter in place of the tuna can filter for the PRO?
    You better make DARN sure that filter's threads are the same and that the diameter of the o-ring that holds it in place is too, or you may have a BIG problem and a voided warranty down the road! If everything equates, I don't see why it would make a difference -- just remember you'll need a touch more oil with the bigger filter.

BTW, what do you have against the Protege's filter? It's made for the car ...

Meade
  • grubbs1grubbs1 Posts: 69
    that my last post was ignored! I don't have the posting number but it was late Sunday night. Anyway, I am extremely happy with my black ES auto! My wife and I went to the movies last night in Mexicali, Mexico (I work two blocks from the Mexican border in California). The car got a lot of attention there since Mazda is not sold in Mexico and the nearest Mazda dealer is an hour away on the US side. Please check out my post and let me know if I got a good deal.

Nikecar, did you sell your Altima SE?
    Sorry we ignored you. I just went back and re-read your Sunday post. I think you did pretty well! Of course, I bought a 2000 and prices are slightly different now.

I do think you got scammed on that interior treatment -- the interior already comes with a fabric protector. And I accidentally tested it a few months ago -- I had my cell phone and charger sitting in my cupholders, so I placed this BIG cup of Diet Pepsi on the passenger seat. Yeah, you know what's gonna happen next, right? I went around a turn and SLOSH! The lid failed and the whole thing emptied in the passenger seat. To my surprise, it just sat there like a little lake in the seat! I had a towel in the trunk, so I quickly found a place to stop and placed the towel over the spill. It slurped up everything, no stain, and the seat was hardly wet afterward!

You know, I didn't learn from my lesson and I still place drinks there from time to time. I've noticed that condensation droplets will stay as beads until I wipe them up -- kind of like paint when it's just been waxed. I don't know if the stuff is Scotchguard or just leftover Hiroshima radiation :) but it works!

Meade
  • snagy1snagy1 Posts: 55
    Regarding gas mileage, right now at 3,100 miles. 42 miles each way to work of which 38 is highway at 60 to 65 mpg (would like to go faster but traffic is heavy) gas mileage is 30 to 33 mpg, and thats really squeezing to boost mpg. i got spoiled with my saturn and it's 40 mpg, but this protege is far more fun to drive, this 42 yo is now a 21 yo. zoom zoom
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    Been off a while doing some graphics work for a publisher of kids' books. It had a deadline for August 20, I finished the artwork by August 14 and did the corrections by the 19th. Many late hours on the Mac.

Looks like you all have been very talkative. ;)

I haven't owned an American car since 1973. Bought an 1974 Audi Fox 5-speed and never went back to big iron. That was during the Oil Imbargo days.

The problem with American cars was, you spent the first 60 days going back to the dealer getting things fixed, lost time from work, mad bosses. From 1974 to today I have never had that problem again with German and Japanese cars. With those the first 60 days is spent enjoying the car(s).

Keep the posts coming! I hate having to scroll down the Sedans list to find you.

fowler3
    Just type "Protege" in the board search box!

Meade
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    No, I'm not thinking about trading, but I did read a review on the Audi A4, yesterday, and was surprised to see the dimensions are almost exactly the same as our Protegés, give or take an inch here and there. And the A4 is a $30K car. The body/frame is aluminum and yet it weighs over 3500 pounds.

I remember seeing the first aluminum Audi at the International Automobile Show, in Frankfurt, Germany in 1993. It was an A8 and they didn't paint it, it looked like a chrome-plated car. Talk about reflections and glare, that car was something else. People couldn't take their eyes off of it. I have a picture of it, wish I could post it some place.

That's one auto show you should see. It's every September. Huge, like going to Disney World, all cars and trucks and even a big building displaying auto parts and accessories.

The best part was the bratwurst and beer sold by venders around the show grounds. ;) Great for tired feet.

fowler3
  • magillamagilla Posts: 75
    Saw my first MP3 up close the other night when I was testing the P5. If you own one, don't take offense this is only MHO. But honestly, to me it looks like a freak show, something out of The Fast and the Furious. It looks like some youngster hopped up a Civic - isn't that called something that we eat that is white, long-grain, or wild? I can guarantee that the car thieves in my metro area would target this thing within the first 6 months. It's kind of like a sporty project that went just a little too far. The seats are very functional, but what's with the ugly silver inserts? What's that? We had a couple pieces of ugly silver leather lying around didn't know what to do with them. The Nardi wheel is beautiful and very comfy. The wing is a little big, the tires too low profile for the real streets, and a $2,500 mark up? They must be kidding!!! How about an ES with some real performance? That would be the way to go. $2,500. HA! To me, this is like driving a Porsche 912 and having people think it's a 911. Oh well, to each his own...
  • jstandeferjstandefer Posts: 805
    No. I don't think that would be such a great idea. There are only 1,500 available and we'll get maybe 10 MP3 owners on this site (and that's be drastically liberal, ugh, I hate ever being liberal!). It's a Protege ES with modifications. Does that mean we would have to start a separate board for anyone that has modified their Protege?

All performance parts and will fit the Protege ES 1.8L and 2.0L. Any extra modifications an owner makes to an MP3 can easily be made to an ES, and vice-versa. I might see the need for a separate board when the turbocharged MP3's hit the market next year. But until then, the MP3 is really no quicker than the '99 ES which is the lightest of the third generation Protege's. And, I still feel the 1.8L is much more willing to rev than the 2.0L.
    No hard feelings at all. What really set me off was another poster who's had their Protege a whole month or something telling me to get lost to another board. I've helped dozens of people on Edmunds Town Hall buy Mazda's and other vehicles, and I have even directly sold a few to some people in Town Hall. I just had to let off some steam.

I do find it funny that I have never brought this up before. Apparently, Vocus and I are not the only ones that have screamed I will never buy a Mazda again... Will I ever buy a Mazda again? Of course. I couldn't imagine buying anything else. Of course, next time it will be a Miata, new RX-8, or new RX-7. But, the rapidly upcoming replacement for the 626 with it's 210-215hp V6 is looking mighty interesting...
    If it does, I'm sorry but count me out. I'm strong in my convictions about Ford crap. If and when the next-generation Protege comes out, I'm gonna have a very sad time saying goodbye if it has a Ford engine in it. It may just make me hang onto this one as long as I possibly can. I'm too big a guy for a Miata and my wallet's not going to be big enough for an RX-8. I dunno -- I've read that Mazda's going to be producing some of Ford's new engines in its Japanese facilities in the future ... in fact one of the auto industry magazines had an article a few months back about the 2003 MY Focus and Protege sharing the same platform, but with a new Ford-and-Mazda partner engine -- but BUILT BY MAZDA. (I wish I had saved the link -- it's on this topic about four months back.) If that's the case, I'll wait at least a year to gauge initial reliability and then jump right back into a 2004 or 2005 Protege5. Unless my 2000 ES is still zoom-zooming happily with more than 100,000 miles on it -- then I'll drive the little puppy till his doors fall off!

Meade
    The new 626 replacement will have the Ford 3.0L Duratec DOHC V6 but with Mazda's Sequential Valve Timing (SVT) on it. It is the same engine used in the Tribute and 2002 MPV minus the SVT. It is also used in the Jaguar S-Type and Taurus/Sable. It has proven to be an excellent engine.

The new engines for the Focus and Protege are a group of new engine designs. One is a 2.0L (I believe it is the Duratec HE (High Efficiency)) and the other is going to be a 2.3L which is already seeing use in the 2001.5 Ranger/B-Series trucks as well as the 2002 Ford Mondeo in Europe. This 2.3L has been codeveloped by Ford and Mazda (with Mazda taking the engineering lead, basically while Ford stood by holding the wallet) and will be built in the United States, Japan, Europe, and South America for use in Ford and Mazda vehicles worldwide. The 2004 Focus and Protege will move to a new platform, probably a derivative of the outstanding Mondeo platform on which the new Jaguar X-Type sits.
    How do you know so much?

Meade
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    He reads...although I don't know about the Protege/Focus on the Mondeo platform. Speculation is that the 626 replacement will be on that platform but nothing is concrete.