Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    What I have read is that ABS gives you shorter stop times and increased manueverability on dry surfaces. On wet/snow/ice, ABS actually increases stopping distances, which is why a switch to turn it on or off is nice.

Steve
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    All I know is that giving me the ability to steer in the wet in that ABS-equipped Bonneville I was driving that night saved my life. I like ABS myself, because I don't have experience in pumping the brakes (just started driving 4 years ago), and it's easier just to "stomp and steer" as they say in the ads for ABS.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    In my dad's '91 MPV I never knew he had ABS until just this year! I drove that van for about 6 years in al seasons! In winter I would always pump the brakes and never had to brake hard any other time. I chose to go w/ ABS this time b/c I believe that it is a good system and I can still pump the brakes in the winter if I want to.
  • sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    I would definately chose ABS over non ABS, the ability to steer is a definite advantage. That's the tradeoff, but its worth it. My Protege that I got in February has ABS, but the 17yr old Audi I've been driving since I got my license didn't. I didn't pump the brakes, but I practiced till I was able to threshold brake, you can stop pretty quick that way. It takes a bit of practice, but its not difficult.

Haven't heard much on MAPP II, have we set a "start time" for the festivities?

Steve
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Just got home with my Mill. Red Mica 01 LX 2.0 Protege. This is my third Protege, I now have owned all 3 generations. I took advantage of the free alloys, moonroof and 0% for 48 months. I had to do some searching to find a Mill. Red and found one at a dealer 90 miles away. Dealers in my area had alot of Sand Micas, but didn't want the same color as my Wife's 01 MPV:) Everyone's posts have been helpful.

Pete
    Way to go Pete! Congrats. Finally, another LX owner! Seems like most of the Pro owners here are ES owners. That red is a great colour! Have fun zoom zooming!!

PF
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I'd definitely downsize the winter tires. I think ALL the Pros have tires that are too wide for driving on snow & ice. The Pros are light vehicles. Wide tires are great on dry (and even wet, if the tread is right), but they're just tobaggans in snow.

I think I'll stick with stock "all-season" 185/65R14s on my LX. If I get winter tires, they'll be one size down.
  • forlopforlop Member Posts: 7
    I just got 01 LX2.0 protege couple weeks ago. I liked it very much. But now I just found out I am qualified for Mazda graduate rebate $400. So I am trying to contact the dealer to see if I am still be able to get it. Anyone has good suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    You should still be able to get it. It's just a form the dealer sends to Mazda. Just go back and explain that you want the rebate and make sure that you have proof (i.e. official transcripts) with you.
    I know how you feel, being in the minority with the LX. I used to have a 1999 DX, and was one of only two with a DX model (someone else has a 1995 DX). I went to the MAPP I, and everyone laughed at my car because it was the only DX model with crank windows, and the only 1999 as well.

Steve: With MAPP II, I don't know what time the festivities are going to start. Last year, it started around 11am, so it's pretty safe to assume it will be around that time this coming year as well. Maybe you and I will run into each other on the highway, because we are coming from the same direction. Can't wait for the festivities this year. Been looking forward to it. :)
    Where's the reminder for tonight's Thursday night chat at 6-7 pm PST/9-10 EST? Anybody gonna be there tonight? I'm gonna try to be there.
    thanks alot. I like the interior and prefer 15" tires over the ES. I also like the softer suspension of the LX 2.0. I'm 20 years out of college and have 2 young boys, my 100mph+ days are long gone. I will enjoy the great handling of my Protege. I don't believe anyone is compromising getting a LX 2.0 over ES, it's just personal taste. By the way, there seem to be more LX 2.0s available in my area and very few ES.
    Pete
  • yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    I believe its set for 10/06/01. There was mention of camping out the preceding night. Since I'll be on about a 5K road trip I'll have to crash somewhere that night and I'll have my gear along in any case.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If anyone needs a reminder ... or a link ... just check out the top of this discussion! ;-)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • scootiscooti Member Posts: 13
    Within the last month, my wife and I purchased an 01 ES 5 sp. & a 01 LX Auto. Both are great!!

Bill
    Two Pros in one month? Mazda luvs ya!
  • duh_sterduh_ster Member Posts: 102
    hey all,
    so, i went back to the dealer to address those scratches on the roof of my brand new black ES. he took it in and said they'd need it for a day to complete a "blending". i'm kinda worried that there'll be a visible difference in the blended paint and the original paint. has anybody ever had something like this done???? why couldn't they just use *a bit of* touch up paint instead?
    'duh'
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    It's weight is negligible...5-6lbs at most, the benefits of the bad road stability and increased feedback were worth it for me. If you don't explore the limit once in a while, I would agree with yooper and skip it. If you have to have the best possible out of your car, I say go for it!

Incidentally, a set of Tokico adjustable struts, thicker sway bars, Eibach springs and 17" Momo rims might be in the near future for me. Might be doing some help for a friend who owns a body shop and gets parts at a HUGE discount! He needs someone to do the "takedown" or disassembly of damaged cars to prep for repairs...I've never done it but I learn quickly. He'll pay for my parts in lieu of paying wages. It's very tempting...MP3 handling at a fraction of the expense....if I do it I'll post pics asap.

Regards,

Pete
    Unless you want that car really bad I'd pass on it. Figure you haven't even taken delivery yet and its going in the body shop. I just don't have the temperament for that kind of bs. Maybe if they give you some big cash allowance in addition to what you finally agreed upon. I'm curious as to how others here would deal with it. It stinks as far as I'm concerned. Them, not you. JMO.
    According to a highly regarded body shop here these cars are painted by a powder coating process. I'd wonder how their hack job would affect that. I'd inquire at a couple body shops that are known for very good work before going ahead. In other words seek out some expertise cause I sure ain't it. Best of luck with this.
    Dang...sorry to hear about the scratches....If they "blend" it in, they are just going to take a buffer to it. That means taking down the paint past the clearcoat and into the actual black paint. If you've already taken posession than I'm not too sure what to do. But I agree w/ Yooper....you should get some other advice from paint experts. I'll see if I can find some in Calgary for you, but I've never had to take a car in before!
    If you haven't taken posession than I agree...pass on the deal. There are tons of Pros out there right now...I know that all the dealers want to get rid of them.
    Good luck Duh.

Pro_fan
    yea, unfortunately i've taken posession already...it's all paid off and i'm stuck! before i paid for it, i checked it for stuff like scratches and found none! then, when i was about to drive off, i saw them! i need my car for this weekend, so i already gave it to them to get it done (get it back later today). now, u guys got me feeling worried! can't help but feel powerless as to what i can demand now, seeing as how they've probably already cashed my cheque...thanx for the insight.
    'duh'
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    just crib with the sales and service manager....they'lll give you a nice discount or throw in some freebies......no harm in cribbing...
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    on the roof may not have been real scratches. All cars arrive at the dealers with plastic sheets lightly bonded to the roofs, hood, and trunk lid for protection. My 01 LX had some strange marks on the roof near the top of the back window. Rubbing got them off. I also saw the same "scratches" on Protegé hoods at another Mazda dealer. The color is dark red so they couldn't be real scratches.

fowler3
  • krotinekrotine Member Posts: 93
    Freebies like a set of 4 rims and dunlop tires?

When I bought my car the dealer changed out the original rims with 17" Limited rims & Kumho Supra 712s.

Recently I asked the sales manager about snow tires and I guess he decided to give the car's original set back to me free of charge.

Jason
    Yesterday, I drove over to Old Salem (part of Winston-Salem, NC) to have dinner with an advertising manager for Ceramic Industry, a trade journal. She was making her annual Southeastern tour of clients. We had dinner at Salem Tavern in the old preserved village. (Est. 1751)

She was driving a brand new Honda S2000 roadster, bright red with black leather trim. Said she wanted to break it in on the Interstates. The car she traded in on it was a Mazda Miata. This lady likes to DRIVE!

Yesterday, she had started out in Wilmington, NC, on the Atlantic coast and drove inland to Columbia, SC for a meeting; then up to Winston-Salem, NC; then back south to Charlotte, NC for the night. Her tour had started Tuesday in Cleveland, Ohio, where she lives. That's a lot of driving.

fowler3
    Yeah, actually, on my hood, right where the roof slopes to the middle (actually on both sides of the hood)there was some sticky crap that didn't come off when they did their PDI. I didn't notice it at first, but as the car got a little dirtier, they showed up. Took 3 washings before that stuff came off completely.
    Maybe your scratches were simply as fowler explained.
    Keep us updated!

PF
    Wish mine were that easy to deal with. I have one on the back quarter panel near the trunk, some across my spoiler, a huge one on the hood, one on the right back door, one on the right front door, the right front fender, the fuel door, the left front door, the front and rear bumpers (multiple here), and the driver's side door. Basically the only panel left unscratched on my car is the roof and the right rear quarter panel. I don't know who or what's doing it (I know my inconsiderate neighbors are doing the bumpers on purpose, and God help them if I ever catch one of them..) but my almost 7-month old car looks like it's 3 years old. :(
    I feel you pain Vocus. I've got scratches in my left front bumper (in the plastic!). There is no way to get them out that I know of. Also looks like I may be getting some slight swirl marks on my trunk. I'm very careful when I wash, but who knows...maybe some crap got into my mitt...sigh. I love the black but it is so hard to maintain.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Duh_ster:

My white 00 ES went in for some work about two months ago...a bunch of broken glass had fallen on it during a windstorm, causing dings and scratches on various parts of the car (after six weeks of ownership--very peeved), and I was in an accident in May (left front fender crumpled in).

I took it to a local place on the Allstate list, and they told me they would blend the new paint in with the old...the guy described it as "feathering." I was a little concerned, because Mazda White is a weird shade...really more eggshell than white.

I have to say though, that I couldn't tell where they had done the blending...and believe me, I've looked pretty closely. Not sure if it would be easier to tell with black paint--good luck.

Where was everybody last night? Very few people showed up to chat...
    where does a six-cd changer go into?
    does it replace the cd-reciever or fits behind it or in the trunk?
    looked to me like a mini Mercedes when I saw one on the I-95. coming close, i realized it's a Pro!!!
    Sorry about chat last night! I brought up the whole issue of the reminder and trying to be there and then I never showed. Sorry...parents were in town and they were looking for a new car. Ended up looking at Nissan Pathfinder (Chilkoot special Canadian edition). They wanted the Tribute, but don't trust the first year model or Ford. Sorry again about not showing up!!

PF
    wow, i had no idea that edmunds offered a chat room! i'll be sure to attend the next one!

i pick up my vehicle in exactly 5 hours so i'll let u all know how those scratches came out (hopefully, it'll be blended nicely like yours, chicagopro)! for sure, i'll demand documentation on what was done to the vehicle in case the new roof paint fades or flakes! thanx all
    'duh'
    Yep, Chat every Thursday at 7:00 pm MST for us Duh.
    Good idea getting documentation. I hope it goes well for you! Hopefully I'll see your Pro around town some time!

PF
  • norcannorcan Member Posts: 72
    Hi all, it's been awhile since I've posted, I'm still lurking though. I've been driving my 01 ES since the end of February. No problems. Nice to see enthusiasm continues! I might be looking for snow tires like several others, too.
    Honestly, ever since I took delivery of the Protege I'm not very interested in pricing anymore. Maybe I'm afraid I could get a better deal now!
    Since there's always discussions on gas mileage I thought I'd post some coversion factors so we North Americans can compare apples with apples.

#kilometers/ #liters X 2.824809538 = Miles/Imp Gallon.

#kilometers/ #liters X 2.352145833 = Miles/US Gallon.

Example:
    Since your last fillup you travelled 424 km. You top off your tank, it takes 40.2 litres.
    424/40.2 x 2.342145833 = 24.7 mpg (US).

If you want to convert units for just about anything (area, volume, etc) I can suggest a shareware program (fully functional in free version) called 'Master Converter', version 2.53 or higher.
    Thanks for the conversion factor Norcan!
    So that means that a few tanks ago I got 25 mpg (US) (mostly stop and go traffic). Then on a recent trip I got 33 mpg (US) (mostly highway travel).
    I've also noticed that mileage varys greatly depending on which gas (i.e. different gas stations)I fill up with. Shell I've noticed is brutal for my Pro. Petro-Can is ok as is Safeway. I'm gonna give Shell another chance, mostly because you can get airmiles for filling up with gas!!
  • hobbs3hobbs3 Member Posts: 6
    Hey jstandefer, thanks for the advice for helping me clear up that hazing on my steering wheel. The questions I have now, and I'll take all advice, is what type of cleaner should I use on the chrome accents of the car's body. Should I just use soapy water? Is it bad to use my kitchen liquid soap when washing the car itself? Can I just go from washing to drying to Meguires (sp?) polish without using the Meguires cleaner?
    When I bought the polish I noticed that there were dozens of other products labeled as primer coats, cleaners etc.

thanks again
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    ... I didn't get to see you Mazda folks last night and give you the invite...

Hey, it's Friday! Just a reminder that the Friday Freeway Chat & Trivia Game chat is on tonight (5-6pm Pacific/8-9 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/freewaychat.html

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

now, i'm really ticked off...

i went to pick up my car, and whoever did the "blending" blended a piece of dust or something under the paint! it looks like there's a zit on the roof of my car! all the dealer said was "look, i'm sorry that this happened, we'll take it in again and get it taken care of...and i'll personally inspect it to make sure it's done right"

AAARRRRGGG...
    Oh my....that sucks soooo much Duh!! Which "dealer" (person) were you dealing with? I can't believe they did that to your Pro...I have no idea what kind of recourse you have. He's obviously gonna fix it...but what kind of job. Maybe you can tell them that you're going to take it to another shop and send them the bill. That's about the best that I can suggest. Good luck Duh!!

PF
  • sdayalanisdayalani Member Posts: 60
    my 5-spd 99 protege has seen lots of shell, petro-canada and esso gas stations.
    shell seems to work best for my car, followed by petro-canada and then esso.

using shell, the pro has gotten 42mpg quite a few times (mostly hwy driving). i've noticed that the pro simply runs smoother and accelerates briskly with the shell stuff.
    i've also used sunoco a couple of times but then decided against it ...didnt want to lower my mpg by using the alcohol oxygenated stuff.

i'm kinda stuck on shell for now ..but wouldnt mind trying petro-canada during the winter, since i've always liked their winter-gas.
    i stay away from esso due to extremely high sulphur content in their gasoline.

i diligently monitor my mileage ever since i got the car, and my average so far is 38mpg (dunno how that translates into U.S. imperial figures)
    it has always had a bad reputation in the States for ruining engines. Eats rings for lunch. ;)

I use BP gas and my LX 2.0 seems to like it. Use to use Citgo, but not many stations around any more. Notice the mpg seems to be going up,fewer fuel stops per week.

fowler3
    I wouldn't do anything more til you get some legal advice. lawyer listing in yellow pages have a lot of them with FREE initial consultation. I was concerned about their possible hack job. Any attorneys here that could steer him in the right direction. I'd leave the car there and tell them not to touch it til you've consulted an attorney. Man that sucks big time . I don't know what to say.
    I sure as hell wouldn't let them touch it again. I had some stinko work done on my contour and wouldn't sign off on it. There's some kind of person that inspects shabby body work and writes up a report on it. That's what I had to do but the when and where escape me now. If I can find my paper work I'll post the details but I'm not sure I have it any more. I imagine it really shows up on black. IMO don't let them touch it!
    Another possibility;Mazda National Customer Assistance Center (800) 222-5500 Here's what I'd do if I called them. I'd tell them I trusted them to do it right, they messed up big time and they're not getting a second chance. I'd tell them I want to take it to a body shop of my choice and they foot the bill. It's not your fault they screwed up. Now that I think of it when I was young and naive I took my '70 Mustang Mach 1 to a Ford dealer on University in St. Paul. (I know there's someone from the Cities that posts here.) They damn near didn't do anything right. I wouldn't sign off and my insurance company told me to take it to a shop of my choice. Since then I've NEVER trusted a dealer body shop again. I think you're almost in the driver's seat if you don't let them intimidate you. Stand up to them and let them know you won't back down, IMHO.
  • grubbs1grubbs1 Member Posts: 69
    to save money on a better sounding stereo, you may want to try what I did. I bought a subwoofer and it's enclosure. I also had an amp installed under my seat. The enclosure is about 12 inches tall, slim and about the length of the larger opening in the trunk (you can fold down the '40' rear seat with no pass-through obstruction. Thus, it is not bulky or in the way. Also, it is a snap to take out. The sound is great if you love a good bass. With time, I plan to replace the original speakers (cheap, paper and one way). This is obviously too late for me but does anyone know if this will void the warranty in any way?
    replacing speakers in today's cars. I read an article on that which said modern cars have computer chips mounted in the doors and side frame for remote access, electric locks and mirrors. Speakers with large magnets can ruin the chips.

Ask your dealer if any chips are in the doors before going to an audio shop.

This is another fowler3 tidbit. ;)

fowler3
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    The sound in my 2000 PRO-ES sounds pretty good to me? However, I've never been a huge audiophile. Now,... what I would really like is a CD changer! My wife, she can care less! She actually listens to top 40 radio, in her 2000 PRO-ES; yuk! BTW, what kind of music does everyone listen to in there PROTEGE's? I'm 43 years old and I grew up, listening to Classic Rock on 8 TRACs during the 70's, lol! Nothing like driving your "OWN" first car listing to KANSAS, JETHRO TULL, AEROSMITH, and LED ZEPPLIN! The 80's, I moved on to New Wave.
    Had to have the POLICE, RAMONES, U2, SMITHEREENS, BILLY IDOL, and THE ROMANTICS. The 90's, I got old! JIMMY BUFFET, JAMES TAYLOR and Talk Radio. Now, I listen a little Country (MARTINA McBRIDE & THE DIXIE CHICS), new U2, and best of all, I revisited some of the great Classic Rock artists (ALLMAN BROTHERS, THE ROLLING STONES & TEN YEARS AFTER)!! What kind of CD's do you folks buy?

Respectfully,
    Larry
    I just bought a 01 LX 2.0 and feel the sound system is good, not great. Actually, for a factory system it's not bad. Honda has terrible audio systems in their cars.

I'm the same age as you and had an 8-track in my first car, a 72 Plymouth Duster with a 225 slant 6, a great engine that lasts forever. Unfortunately, 70's mopar products were rust buckets.

I'm stuck in the 80's and listen to: The Smiths, Thompson Twins, OMD, English Beat, Depeche Mode(old stuff) and the Pet Shop boys.

Lately, I've been enjoying some modern Jazz...Rippingtons, Paul Taylor, Peter White and Earl Klugh.

Hope the younger members don't find us terribly boring:)
    Pete