Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I drive 30 miles a day to and from work, and I seem to always be doing at least 70 mph. Especially when I get on the Capital Beltway, no one goes 55 there. They go 60-120 (maybe not that high, but I would say 95) and I can't picture myself going 55. When I bought my 1999 DX, they told me not to take it over 55 before 500 miles either, and I didn't listen. I am going to this time though, no matter how much I want to go over it.
  • unmarkedcarunmarkedcar Member Posts: 162
    VOCUS...did you have any problems with your 1999 DX ?
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    I will be in Arlington Heights initially, and working in Elmhurst. Mine is a Silver '00 ES with Auto, and I'm only about 5'11". We'll have to get together though! We could organize the CAPP (Chicago Area Protege Picnic) finally!!!

Vocus...the bra should be taken off each time it rains and allowed to dry out. The Mazda factory bra is backed by a soft flannel-like fabric that allows it to breathe. The paint only yellows or clouds up when you allow dirt or grit to accumulate behind the fabric of the bra. The small amount of vibration that comes from driving around would constantly rub that grit across the paint. If you keep it clean and wash your car before putting the mask back on, you should have no problem with clouding the paint. Cheap bras (LeBra for example) tend to use vinyl only with no (or nearly no) backing that traps water against the paint and don't fit right. Trust me and get the factory bra.

Everybody else...this is my last post for a while, at least until I'm settled in Chi-town. Thanks for the warm wishes and I'll be back in touch soon!

Regards and ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete
    aka SpeedyPT (Speedy Petey)
    I had this vibration at about 75-80 and it won't go away. I had the tires rotated and even replaced, checked the air pressure all the time, had the rotors checked, and had the car aligned too. Never any accidents either, so I don't get it. I also have this transmission problem when shifting for passing sometimes. It's like the car hesitates a little or something. Maybe not breaking in the car right caused it.

Also, the engine (at 37K) now vibrates when idling at a stop light, and it never did that before. I even had the oil changed and a tune-up done (maybe they messed up the idle or something), and still it vibrates slightly.

I am not going to break the break-in rules this time either. I am going to follow them very strictly.
    I do not think that the break in period had anything to do with it. I do not know anyone that drives at 55mph....do you? I have never done that and have had no problems with any cars.
  • suchismitsuchismit Member Posts: 6
    I made an error in my previous message.. the
    protege I saw was SILVER ! Actually its mine that
    is white. I didnt notice the front though.
    I am going to follow the owner's manual guidelines because I want my 2001 ES 2.0 to last as long as it can.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    If for some odd reason you got a lemon and you had to go to litigation, the owners manual is your bible. Keep good records, follow the rules and Zoom Zoom...

:)
    I am paying a little extra for this 2.0 ES because of not-so-good credit and negative equity from my 1999 DX, so I am going to care for it as much as I can and make it last as long as I can.
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    the bra is easy to put on. it might seem tight the first time you put it on, but over time it will strech to fit better.

also we took off our cover when it rained or right after wards and it still fogged up (on a neon). her brother had a white neon and his turned yellow underneath. so he ended up never taking it off, which made it worse (catch 22). both were OEM dodge covers.

just remove it when it rains or soon after wards. clean the area before reinstalling it, and clean the inside of the cover so no dirt or anything can damage the paint. and keep tabs on it too. first sign of problems, take it to the dealer.. and get the Mazda one.. not some LeBra.
  • totustuustotustuus Member Posts: 11
    The intent of taking it easy for the first 600 miles is to allow the rings to properly seat on the cylinder walls. All of the other reciprocating parts (cam shafts and crank) need to wear-in properly as well. That is best achieved by widely varying the engine RPM which sort of "hones" things into a nice fit. Just driving in normal traffic is great for this. There is no magic to proper break-in. Just use common sense and don't thrash the engine too hard for awhile. Then change the oil at the recommended interval. That's all there is to it!
    What about the rumor ( and that is all it is ) that you should not drive at 70 or 80 miles per hour.
    Haven't we seen enough posts on this?
    Break-In Period

No Special break in is necessary, but a few precautions in the first 1000km(600 miles) may add to the performance, economy and life of your Mazda.

* Don't race the engine.

*Don't maintain one constant speed for long.

* Don't drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine RPM for extended periods of time.

* Avoid unnecessary hard stops.

* Avoid full-throttle starts.

---------------
    Verbatim from page 4-6
    Hmmm, nothing about 80 mph there, maybe it was the Hyundai manual.
    That is what my manual says. I just want someone to show me (REAL PROOF) that going 70 - 80mph will have any log term problems. I have yet to see any proof. Just a bunch of rumors. And what exactly is
    considered to be HIGH RPM's.. they need to provide more detail. If anyone car provide me with proof, I will gladly agree.
  • jk111jk111 Member Posts: 125
    I don't think going 70-80 during break in will hurt the engine. After all, going 70 is about 3.5k on my 99ES auto. I think they meant that you should floor it too often (reach 5-6k rpm.) In other words, don't push the engine too hard.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I am a new guy posting here. I have been reasearching small sporty 4 doors and these posts convinved me. I just ordered my 2001 2.0 ES from the dealer. I paid $15,400 and they have to locate the car that I want. I ordered a sunlight silver 2.0 ES with no other options. Got the 0% financing too. I am pretty happy with the deal even though I am sure there are some on this board who paid less than me. Have fun driving your pros, I can't wait till I get mine. I will find out when I get it on monday.
  • hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    Does $15,400 include the freight ($480) but exclude TTL? The S-Plan is $14,307+$480+TTL.
  • ed110ed110 Member Posts: 2
    WHERE I LIVE THEY COST AT LEAST 170.00 BUCKS EACH AND THEY ONLY LAST ABOUT 30000K AND THEY HAVE TO BE ORDERED IN .THATS WHY I WANT TO KNOW IF 195/60-15 OR 185/65-15 WILLBE OKAY FOR MY CAR PROTEGE 01 LX 2.0.THEY ARE ALOT CHEAPER AND EASILY AVAILIABLE.THEY ARE ONE INCH BIGGER.ARE THERE ENOUGH CLEARANCE FOR THAT SIZE TIRE. I GET DIFFERENT ANSWERS FROM MAZDA. THEY SAY THAT THE OEM TIER SIZE IS THE ONLY SIZE FOR THIS CAR????
    1. Why did you need to use all caps?
    2. $170 each? That's why I suggested Tire Rack. That's www.tirerack.com. More selection and cheaper.
    3. One-inch larger in diameter in this case means about a 4% under-reporting of your car's speed and mileage.
    4. No auto manufacturer in its right mind would recommend a substitute of 195/60-15 or 185/65-15 for the OEM size of 195/55-15.
    5. While the two sizes you suggested are not acceptable, you can use 185/65-14 which are standard on the LX (not 2.0). This means buying new steel wheels and covers or alloy wheels.
    6. My suggestion: Stick with the 195/55-15.
    Here's the question-
    does anyone know whether the new protege automatics have a high incidence of failure. I remember that the 626's had big problems a few years ago. Also, is this automatic a Mazda design or a Ford design?
    The new protege has really no relation to the 626. The engine is 100% japan and so is the tranny. The car is also put together in JAPAN. The protege has a great track record and is not in anyway like the 626 4 cyl engine ( that had tranny problems ). The New 2.0 engine is laos much more powerful than its competition. The protege has a great track record that has yet to be broken.
  • jumpmomjumpmom Member Posts: 11
    NOPE!! That is why I keep coming back here! The top reason we are leaning toward the 626 is that the back seats are more comfortable- they seem less stiff and the extra width helps out with the kids, nice little cup holder inbetween to give them the feeling of his space, her space. My daughter is 8.5 and my son is 4- they are not each others favorite people on longer trips. My daughter is especially vocal about the seats in the Protege, but we are not sure how much is melodrama at this point ;)! The difference is noticeable to us adlults too but we wouldn't have to live with it. In every other way I would prefer the Protege for the drive and for the money, I think. We will go drive both again today. The other thing may be availability. The dealer has located the 626 I would want and it could be here this week if I say the word. The Proteges tend to get snapped up pretty quick and they aren't doing to many dealer trades on those. We are counting on the 0% financing and a local autoshow rebate which both expire and my old Honda is really a champ but needs a new home soon. I think I just keep talking myself in circles but I sure appreciate everyone on this board (and the 626 board- maltb/hkchan that is you twice!) who has given me info and support!
    I do not think that a back seat is even a concern. I think that your kids just like one car over the other...and you also seem to be very confused. The protege is a much better investment. I also hope that you are getting the 6 cyl 626. The 4 cyl is NO GOOD....the 4 cyl is very under powered and weak. I also know that the 626 is not built in japan ( like the protege ). Stop changing your mind and just choose one. Your kids should not be the ones that decide what is and what is not good.
    You may be right that the tranny is different, however, I believe that both the 1.8 litre and 2.0 litre engines are derivitives of the 626 engine which is not a bad thing.
    The protege engine may be similar, but not same.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Lynn, the auto buying process can become very stress full, it is a VERY big commitment of cash. If you have some time,... take a little time. You already are doing a great job, with your research by visiting Edmunds Town Hall. Taking a little extra time to make your final choice will help in two ways.
    1. With the arrival of extra shoppers in the dealerships during the income tax rebate season, there is the possibility that new car dealers will be less likely to give DEEP discounts right now on a low supply high demand 2001 Protege. If you decide on a Mazda Protege you will probably benefit on waiting several weeks for the inventory of 2001's to build up, as more arrive at the dealerships.

2. The extra time you take, will allow youself to be SURE about your choice. No confusion. When you are sure, the new car buying experience becomes fun and you can't wait to pick up your new car. No buyers remorse for you, Lynn!

I feel your pain, my wife and I have a great child! Our 5 year old son is our pride and joy and we include him in a lot of our decisions. For practical reasons (you can never find a baby sitter when you need one), he went with us on several of our test drives. Somewhere during the process we test drove a vehicle with a rear cup holder, yikes! Thats ALL he cared about, we could of purchased a 1992 Ford Tempo, and if it had a rear cupholder......,hehe you surely know where I am going with this! However, as Dr. Laura say's; I AM my son's father and in the end I purchased a Mazda Protege because it was the best choice for our family! Lynn, go with your instincts, they have served you well to this point.

One final note! The Mazda Protege and the Mazda 626 are not really comparable. The Protege, is VERY roomy for a small sedan, nonetheless it is still a compact. The 626 is considered a mid-size car. My 2 cents. If I was shopping for my family:

In the small sedan class, test drive the following:
    Mazda Protege
    Honda Civic

*The Nissan Sentra and Toyota Corolla are too cramped in the rear cabin to work for a growing family. The Ford Focus is a pig. It is almost criminal what Ford has done to so many young people, a real shame.

In the mid-size class, test drive the following:
    Honda Accord
    Toyota Camry

* The Mazda 626 is a nice car. However the build quality and design of the Camry/Accord's are top box.

Respectfully;
    Larry
  • jk111jk111 Member Posts: 125
    Yeah I have to agree, when it comes reliability.. you can't beat camry or accord.
    The 626 is also very underpowered. The v6 version only comes in 165hp and 161ft-lbs. Pretty low for a v6 engine for today's standards.
    "The Ford Focus is a pig. It is almost criminal what Ford has done to so many young people, a real shame."
    What's that supposed to mean?
    The focus is big and ugly....it is also made with crappy parts. Ford has nothing but recalls!!!
  • mhgsxmhgsx Member Posts: 1
    According to Car and Driver, the 2.0L is the same as that from the 626. However, I'm new to Mazda, so I don't really know squat.

'jumpmom' ....are you located in the Chicagoland area? Judging by the autoshow coupon you mentioned, I'm guessing. But I just bought a '01 prot ES on Mon (car just got off their truck Sat) and got a really good deal from Wilkins Mazda out in Villa Park. They agreed to the price I wanted ($300 over invoice, plus the Autoshow coupon of $500, plus the new gradincentive of $400, plus the 0% financing for 4 years.) You should price them out.

concerning the statement someone made about the 2.0L being 'more powerful than the competitions' " , the 2.0L sentra comes w/ 145hp.

concerning the statement that the sentra's rear seat is too cramped.....I remember my 2K sentra as having essentially the same room back there as the '01 protege.

if you're looking at mid-sized cars, don't overlook the Maxima. This is my primary car and I absolutely love it. The cabin room is huge. V6 is standard, not to mention the most powerful in it's class.
    "I remember my 2K sentra as having essentially the same room back there as the '01 Protege."
    Not true if you're talking about leg room.
    mhgsx- The engines are similar (design) but not the same.

The back seat leg room is not even comparable. The protege has much more legroom.
    Don't forget the Nissan Altima.. I've fit 4 adults in the back with no complaints. It has the same options as the Camry and Accord for thousands less.

And if you wait until April 4th I think, the new pics of the next 2002 model Altima will be out. It will be based on a Nissan Maxima platform and have a V6 option with 230+ HP.

As it stands now, the Altima has the largest engine in the 4cylinder engines. I bought our Altima after test driving a 626. (I had my heart set on a 626 but the 626 was standing still compared to the Altima. I've had no problems in almost 30K, except alignment hassles, but no wierd noises or rattles or hesitation, etc...
  • troshalomtroshalom Member Posts: 1
    It was August 1999 when I proudly drove off the lot in my brand spanking new Emerald Mica Mazda Protege LX. My first car, she was wonderful, faithful and reliable. And it was a sunny winter day (2001) on I-78 when she lost her life, crushed and written off as a total loss. A semi took her life, thank God she preserved mine.

If you are looking for a great small sedan the Protege is the way to go. My car held up pretty well in a car accident. The truck slammed into the side of my car, slammed me into the concrete girder, sent me into a spin and I slammed into the opposite concrete girder. My 'ge did not flip over, nor did anything intrude into the cabin. I was shaken up a bit, and have extensive soft tissue injuries, but no bruises or broken bones.

The seat belt held me firmly in place!

Now, since my 'ge is dead, her internal organs salvaged -- I'm moving on to a different car. I want to maintain the memories of my first car so I will not purchase another Protege. I've been looking at the Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, and the Mitsubishi Galant. Anyone ever own one of these cars? I'd appreciate your input, especially since you are a Protege driver.

TRO
    sorry to hear about your loss. and glad to hear you made it alive...

as for your questions, when I bought my Altima, I looked at the Galant too (not the Accord since it was too much $$$).

My top choice would have been the Galant. I loved the styling, but it too was too much and didn't have any rebates at the time. I settled on the Altima because it had the most power of the lot (Jetta, 626). It comes loaded with features (now you have to buy the VOP to get it all which is a given now). Its roomy, I've fit 4 adults in the back with no complaints and have taken several long distance trips without any problems in 30K miles.

So if you are looking at a car that is thousands of $ cheaper than the Galant and Accord, take the Altima.. just beware, you won't get the mileage the Protege gets now.
  • WMartonWMarton Member Posts: 58
    My wife and I finally got a chance to test drive a Protege (2.0 ES) and Civic (EX). We are looking to replace her 1988 323. We test drove the Protege first and here are a few observations: first, I think that Mazda made a mistake by not making the spoiler an option as opposed to a standard accessory on the ES. My wife REALLY dislikes the spoiler; I'm more ambivalent, although my pet peeves are with the interior styling--the cloth is way too dark for my taste, the faux chrome trim is a little tacky, and I really don't care for the white face gauges (what is the attraction with them???). Second, them there rear seats are damn hard! I first noticed this when I sat in the car at a local auto show and my impression wasn't changed. Our kids are in infant/booster seats right now, but I don't envy them having to sit in the back for any length of time. Third, the car handles very well... accelerates nicely and steers true.

Re. the Civic: I was very surprised that my wife liked the car. She has never really felt comfortable in our Accord and I thought that this was symptomatic of Honda design. Apparently not. The Civic's engine seemed more buzz in comparison to the Protege's and is like the VTEC engine in our Accord--NO low end torque. You really have to fire up the RPM for the torque to come on strong. The improved rear leg room in the 2001 model is quite impressive and the seats were much more comfortable than the Protege's (at least those in the rear; the front seats seemed a little small and I had a little more difficulty getting comfortable). The estimated gas mileage of the Civic is also must better than the Protege...so there definitely is an economy/handling trade off.

I guess we'll mull over our options and decide between the two...

Bill
    To make the Protege more "tolerable" to you, consider the LX 2.0.
    I drove the car ~170 miles in the first full day, and I LOVE IT! :) The white/red gauges are great and the radio is especially cool because it's so much easier to use the controls. As for the power, it's SOOO hard to keep it below 4000 rpm (went over by 200 only once), but I am going to do it. I have used 1/2 tank of gas already, but I attribute the economy (something like 23 mpg) to the break-in time. Alot of people notice this car as well. I love the dark interior too, except for the fact that it holds everything but dirt (lint, etc.). I also like how they integrated the child seatbelt thingies (on the package shelf on the 2000 model) in for 2001.

A note to ES owners: If you unlock the door with the remote, the lights flash. And it does it when you lock it too. Do the 2000s do that too? Also, if I unlock mine and don't open a door within 30 seconds or so, they lock back automatically. Do the 2000s do that too? Just curious.

I plan to keep this car for a long, long time. I love it alot and glad I went for it. The negative equity from the 1999 DX I had got me a little, but I don't care. My payment is in the 420s for 60 months with 12.7 APR (not so good credit). I still love the car alot, and I will try to refinance a year or two down the road.

I got the S-plan deal (pissed the dealer, since 4 people came in for the car before I picked it up, and they all wanted to pay MSRP too). I paid something like $16,700 (if I remember correctly) for a ES 2.0 with Premium Pkg., auto., and cassette.

Definitely a great car inside and out! And I love the interior chrome accents too. Makes it look really sporty. Don't buy a compact-size sedan without checking out the Protege. You will be sorry if you do! :)
    The only thing with my car (Black Mica) is that it's dirty already! We had snow here in Maryland, and the roads are a mess. Oh well, another excuse to wash it. :)

The ABS brakes saved my butt for the first time tonight. I was going into the M-Tag lane (toll road) about 30-35 mph when this stupid person cut from the toll lane to the right of the M lane to the one to the left of it. Hit the brakes hard, and stopped on a dime! Great investment, considering they paid for themselves in the first two days of ownership.

Again, LOVE THE CAR!!!!!! :)}

Cannot wait until break-in so I can really ZOOM ZOOM!!!!!
    My post was directed to jumpmom, and was only my opinion. To be candid, I do not need to explain my "meaning" to anyone other than Lynn or possibly a Ford Focus owner. I am sorry to say this but, you are irritating and yet you seem to hold yourself in high regard. I had wondered why a owner of a newer Honda Civic would spend so much time in a Mazda Protege discussion? It is clear to me now. The folks in the Civic discussion grew weary of you and over time your annoying posts drove them out of that discussion. Soooo, now you spend your spare time here in the Protege topic? Sir you are on a very short list of those here at Edmunds, I will ignore. Henry it's a free world post away, however; my hope is other folks here will grow tired of your self-important interjacence and ignore you also. One last comment/opinion, re-posting parts of other Town Hall members posts (vocus, mhgsx and myself) with requests for explanations is rude and presumptuous. Just my 2 cents. I bid you adieu.

Respectfully;
    Protegextwo
    I have never been a fan of Nissan products. I don't even recall actually test driving one. But, I owe this to you my friend, I WILL give Nissan a fair shake next time I shop for a new car. I don't want to miss out on a good vehicle! ;-}

-Larry
  • borgf15borgf15 Member Posts: 29
    Hello to all,
    This is my first post in here and first and foremost I wanted to thank those that gave the info for the S-plan (it saved me about $400 off the price I was going to buy for!). It was easy too...I just called EAA, signed up, got member #, logged onto the website, got the PIN, and then showed up at the dealership in Irving, TX with it. Viola! I bought the car for almost $1000 under invoice with no tax (we are military out of state residents).

So we now own a sand mica 01 ES 2.0 w/ premium pkg. I was wondering if anyone knows about any aftermarket accessories that will improve gas mileage?? Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a certain type of wax to use for this car?

The car is great so far. We love it. Our only complaint is that the suspension is just a little stiffer than we'd like (price you pay for great handling). Although, I think someone previously mentioned that it will become smoother as you break in the car (can anyone confirm this?). We were also very pleased with how quiet the car is on the road. It is true that Mazda made improvements in road/engine noise between 2000 and 2001.

So again, my gratitude to you all for saving me $400!!

Borg
    I've decided on the 2001 ES, but unfortunately am ambivalent about this years colors. Have any of you people seen what the millenium red looks like? Is it more of a cherry or closer to a maroon?
    What does everyone else think of this years colors?
  • glideslopeglideslope Member Posts: 37
    Just turned 8,000 miles on my Silver ES 5-speed today. Lovin it more every day. Only problem so far was a vibration in an exhaust heat shield near the tailpipe. It was calmed by the dealer.

Still getting around 27-28 mpg 70% city, 30% highway with a very heavy right foot. Put in fresh Mobil 1 this morning and a new Mobil 1 filter. I'd say I only have around 10,000 left on my Potenzas. They sure do go away quickly. I noticed salt really seems to collect around the top of the front strut towers on this car. Specifically, around the rubber boots. If you live around salt I'd wash the area carefully and frequently.

Can't wait to put the first 01 coat of Nu-Finish on it. Getting the "bucket and sponge" ready. How about you Larry?

BTW, there are A LOT of Foci on used car lot's around here all of a sudden.

Regards,
    Mark.
    vocus The lights on the car don't turn on or off when I activate the remote only the interior light comes on when I open the door. (I have just the remote door locks). and if I lock the doors, no lights come on. I like hitting the lock 2 times because the horn beeps as if it was an alarm. gives anyone watching the impression I have an alarm, until I buy a Viper.

and as far as I can recall, if I unlock my door with the remote and don't open it, they stay unlocked, but I usually open the door, or unlock all 4. I will test the 1 door unlock and see.

protegextwo Thanks.. They are good cars, and I think now Nissan is gearing more to the performance aspect of it with all the high HP cars they are churning out (230HP Maxima, 170/180 '02 Sentras, Supercharged Frontier, 230+HP '02 V6 Altima, etc...)
    Don't know if you like a wagon, but the '02 Protege 5/Protege Sportwagon/Protege Hatchback should have, besides the Silver (22V) and Black (16W), Midnight Blue (22A) from last model year and two new colors, Sunburst Yellow (T3D) and Red Mica (A3E).