Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    which is a better clue to what the next Protegé may look like, see this URL. It's in Spanish. Click under the picture -- Galleria -- for more photos and interior pics of dash. Really cool.

http://www.elmundomotor.com/elmundomotor/2001/10/16/coches/1003262288.html

The link you all are talking about is the European version.

fowler3

• ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    http://www.autoweek.com/specials/2001_tokyo/

A bunch more pix of new Mazda vehicles, including the 6 (or Altenza).

There are also editorial comments at
    http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv? port_code=autoweek&cat_code=autoshows&loc_code=index&content_code=03460216
    (ummm - that link didn't post correctly - word too long - manually cut and paste the text into your browser to read it)
    The RX-8 looks decidedly retro from that profile.

Also, they made a mistake spelling the wagon's name - it should be Hideous, not Hideout!

Lots of pretty ugly vehicles among those photographs - make the Echo look like a work of art in comparison!

As for the Protege Wagon photo someone posted, it looks like it was faked in Photoshop, strange background and didproportionate front and rear seating areas - judging from the door designs!

• mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I had to run across town at lunch and stopped by Richmond's OTHER Mazda dealer. They had a yellow MP3 AND a yellow P5 on display. Drool, drool, drool! I was surprised to see a Protege, for the first time in my life, exceed $20,000. (They had a bunch of "port-installed options" on the P5, plus it had all the normal options too, and it was about $20,600! Whew!)

I picked up a 2002 P5 brochure for the wife. We'll probably be buying one next year -- looks fun!

Meade
  • magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    Love the picture that panamaltd2 posted of the proposed proto wagon. Very cool. I guess each to his own. I'd buy that in a second if the pricing weren't much different. Now, on the other hand, the pic that fowler3 posted ... doesn't that picture say 626 above it? Unless I'm using my grandfather's eyes, how can that be the new proto? Bring on that wagon!!!
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    This is just a follow up on the post of the new Pro wagon I put up. I have heard reports saying the next Pro will have very "emotional" styling. I think the styling might be a nicer in sedan version. The front is my favorite part though. Has quite a presence.
    That is the next 626 which Mazda has decided to rename the Mazda 6. Pretty cool huh?!
  • etrastetrast Member Posts: 9
    I am considering installing a aftermarket mp3/cd receiver in my 2001 pro ES. HAs anybody tried to install it on their own ? If so, how difficult is it? This is my first attempt in something like this. Also any recommendations for the receiver (Considering AIWA and Kenwood)
    Thanks
    I'd recommend using cructhfield.com. They send out detailed descriptions of the removal and installation procedure for head units specific to your car, and provide free tech support on the phone (I was speaking to one of the tech support guys WHILE installing my CD changer in the trunk - which is certainly a superset of the task ahead of you)

And crutchfield includes all wires, harnesses and (sometimes at no extra cost) adapters you need to make your removal and installation a simple plug out, plug in process.

Do it yourself, it'll save you about $40!

As for brands, the Kenwoods are rated among the best, but also consider factors like wattage, number of pre-outs (to connect amps etc), CDRW compatibility, CD Text, 80 minute CD compatibility, ability and method to scan through tracks, ID2 and ID3 (mp3 filename details) compatibility, and ability of the head unit to act as a CD changer controller, for CD changers of the same brand. Then consider which brand has CD changers available that you might like to buy (for a future upgrade).

There are reviews of many car audio products at epinions.com and carreview.com. Take a look at them too.

Here is the link to the crutchfield in dash mp3 CD player page http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-LGt2fp3JnWK/ProdGroup.asp?c=3&g=62700&s=0

You can specify you vehicle and the web page will be filtered to include the ones athat can be installed easily with no wiring modifications, or just call crutchfield and ask them!

I'd recommend Sony, Panasonic, JVC, or kenwood if you want to add a good changer in the future.

Post a report about the installation and your pick here or in the Accessories and modifications board for Mazda Proteges! Good luck!

• theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    I just discovered my first door ding! I'm pissed! I was washing my car and lo and behold there this crease in the sheetmetal under my driver's side mirror!!! It's along the character line too, which will make it even more difficult to remove! I think I'll try that Dent Wizard company, how much does it run to get a ding removed?

I guess my luck ran out...I guess having the car for two years w/o a door ding was pretty good, now I just need to be even MORE careful...bastards!
    I think Gro has the JVC SH-99 MP3 CD player in his car. On Crutchfield they sell it for $399, but I've seen it at Sears for $299. Not a bad deal if you ask me.
    I'm thinking about changing my wheel covers from the stock OEM ones to the wheel covers that were on the 97-98 Protege's, I think they look better and it's a lot cheaper than going out and buying some wheels + tires for my car.

Picture this:

With these covers:

http://www.hubcaps-wheelcovers.com/photo/Mz156542.jpg

You will need to copy and paste that site to see it (sorry). Do not copy the img src= part.
  • dgoodvindgoodvin Member Posts: 6
    My newly purchased 2000 LX has a stiffer ride than I thought when test driving it.

Someone mentioned improving this problem with a change in tire
    pressure. What pressure works best to produce a softer ride?

Also, are there any other solutions to this stiff ride, such as changing shocks?

Thanks
    You could check your tire pressure - it may already be higher than it should; dealers are known for silly ideas about tire pressure!

It should be 32 psi (AFAIK), and if it already is, you could go down to 30 or 31. Of course, you would sacrifice handling and tire wear for this slightly softer ride. Honestly, the LX has an excellent ride, IMO, while the ES handles way better (larger wheels, different shocks?), and I personally prefer that kind of ride.

I have no idea what shock modifications are possible, but I'm sure someone will enlighten you!
    Exactly! Was that a photoshop job or the real thing?

Here is what I REALLY want... :)

Ummm, why not just head to discounttires.com or tirerack.com, and try on (literally) all these wheels? You specify your car and model, color, and then pick wheels off a list. Pretty good applets on each of these sites!

I've been drooling over them for a while now, waiting to wear out my tires some more and go through winter on my 13 inchers, before I take the plunge with 14s or 15s!
  • snagy1snagy1 Member Posts: 55
    for those of you who have protege lx 2.0, with 15" rims, i can't located steel rims at tirerack.com only 14" rims, will they fit? or should i just go to my local bone yard and try to find 15" steel rims. i wanted a package deal but no luck with 15" rims. thanks
  • yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    I just ordered snows and 15" steel wheels for my '01 ES from tire rack. Don't know if they're interchangeable with yours or not. I'd call back.
  • bindenbinden Member Posts: 3
    LOL!!!
    Edmunds must have had a big one, I had to login again.

magilla: I think I said the Mazda 6 photos would give one an idea of what the 2003 Protegé might look like. But if it is going to be radical, well, who knows what that may be. I just hope, for Mazda's sake, they don't go too far with it. They have a really nice car right now that is selling good.

theparallax: Those wheels look like curb scrapers to me, better look around some more. Those spokes are very vulnerable on the outer edges. The standard alloys don't have that problem.

fowler3
    When car magazines complained that compact cars all looked similar, the jellybean shapes, the similar interior trims on the door panels, people bought fewer of them. So what do we have now?

Mazda's five-point grille is not exclusive. Toyota and Honda have it on some models. Others are copying it for 2002 and 2003. The new Honda Jazz has a similar hood and grille treatment.

Those designers in Japan must go to the same schools and the same brainstorming sessions.

As far back as I can remember cars have had similar grille treatments: the trapezoidal shape wider at the top than the bottom. What else is there? When companies have tried something different the cars sold poorly. Look at all the trucks and cars with big, center dash pods and most are black plastic. Isn't there anything else that could perform that function in a different shape?

They look similar because what sells great for one company the others are sure to copy that idea. Different doesn't sell. Most Civic buyers buy that car because "everybody else" is buying it, or use to.sized.

fowler3
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    May, 2001 was last time I checked in on this discussion and nothing has changed. Folks calling each other morons, dolts, pathetic, dorks and WORSE!

A couple of quotes from just the last 20 posts:

"And anyone who calls the Spectra beautiful should be committed."

"I sincerely hope you were lying about being employed at Boeing. Air travelers have enough crap to worry about nowadays without thinking about people like yourself building the jets they have to fly on."

"You truly give stupid people a bad name."

"let me say this again if you don't understand plain English...... you are a JOKE."

"You're one of these dips who actually believes what the Mario Andretti wannabe's in Clodsumer Retorts and Car and Dribbler write about...What a ridiculous joke."

"Like a bunch of dorky lemmings (..... leading the pack."

"I think ...... is the master of HALLUCINATIONS and HEAR SAY...."

"On the other hand, there is plenty wrong with people like you..."

"And folks like me and ...... will be here to rub it into the noses of you and your dolt-boys."

Can you believe this does not violate the Edmunds Town Hall User Agreement? Very nasty stuff.

Respectfully,
    Larry
    Yeah, I've been having some fun there lately. Did you see my coupla posts?

Meade

P.S. I still need your home address, Larry! E-mail me so I can mail you a check for MOTEL HELL!!!!
    Sorry to call the kettle black again, but I just read the following line over on the "Daewoo Bankruptcy" topic, again with no commentary from the host:

"the Protege is an annoying, blocky, chunky piece of metal."

Go get 'em.

Meade
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I now get to post at Edmunds from work. Daewoo bankruptcy? That says it all. Go Vikes!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    At least you had two years without dents or dings. Mine survived a whole 3 weeks before it was smacked in the left front by a hit-and-run driver right in front of my house.

I think those wheel covers are not bad looking, but a really bad substitute for some real wheels. Check out TireRack.com and get some wheels and maybe tires from there, but just wait until your OEM tires wear out so you have an excuse to do it. :)
    I pulled the "Protege" decal off the front of my car this past weekend, because it was crooked as hell. I also washed the car for the first time by hand (usually car wash it). It looks really nice, and I even cleaned up the wheels and all. But it wasn't clean for 20 minutes, and some little brat in my neighborhood put their hand print on the left side of it by the spoiler. :( I swear, people need to train their children (monsters would be a better desc. for these kids) better.

On a sad note, I backed up last night too close to the curb and scraped the outside edge of my right back wheel. :( It's not very noticeable, but I know exactly where it is. Oh well, things happen I guess. :(

I also stopped at the Mazda dealer yesterday, because I saw my first MP3 there. :) I love the body work, and it was in the blue color. I would pick yellow over that though. I also saw a 2002 Protege ES (no more "2.0" sticker on the front with the LX and ESs) in Sandlewood, and it was nice. Like the new "Protege" label on the back, and wanna change my 2001 label for the 2002 one eventually (would that be hard, anyone?).

Todd: Congrats on your new job again. Good luck. :)`
  • krotinekrotine Member Posts: 93
    are you paying each of us back for staying at motel hell?

krotine
    Was the hotel that bad? I am surprised, because Econo Lodge is usually pretty reasonably priced and okay accommodations. I am glad I didn't stay there that night. Of course, if I would have, no one would have been paying anything or would have at least gotten a 50% discount. There would have been NO way!
    ... for paying for my room.

Meade
    How can I can the new-for-2002 Protege label and replace the one on my car with it? I like the design of the new label better. Malt, any idea? Thanks.

Oh, and I tried to spray-tint the taillamps on my car, to give it that smoked look. No go there. The backing is sealed, so I gets no tint. I guess Altezzas it is. :)
    I had one heck of an experience yesterday. A friend and I came back to my house (in the inner city) yesterday after hanging out. He was driving his mother's Tahoe, and he had to run into the house quickly for something he needed. He asked me to park the truck, but to be careful. I thought, "oh cool, I get to drive it finally", because I have wanted to since she got the truck in July of 2000. I tell you, that was an experience if I ever had one. Trying to park it on the street where I live (where I zip in and out fine in the Protege), it was not happening. When I finally did find a space big enough to accept the behemoth, it took me FOUR tries to get it in (and that was where there was no car behind me!). SUVs like the Tahoe are nice in the snow or the country, but gimme a small, zippy car (like the Protege) any other time. :0
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    However, I tell you, it was a little scary. On the other hand it was also kinda fun. Very similar to staying at the Beruit Hilton during a night air strike. It was too cool when Jason purchased Lysol to spray our rooms. However, the day old Krispy Kreme's were a nice touch, if you didn't mind fighting off the rats in their breakfast bar!

Paul, I would have paid your room, just to see you complain to the "management"! LOL, that would have been more fun than MAPP #2.

-Larry
    Hey -- I had no trouble staying at the Ecoli Lodge. I wasn't the one who SNUCK OFF in the wee hours of the morning!

Paul, it was fun in a Steve Erwin kind of way. Ever watched the Crocodile Hunter on the Animal Planet channel? Besides, my possum kept me warm. And he didn't take up too much room on the bed.

Meade
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Hey, does anyone know if I can buy the strut tower brace for the MP3 and install it in my 2001 ES? I personally don't see why not, but my Mazda Dealer parts dept. is useless unless I would like to buy some mud flaps or an oil filter. As soon as I mention MP3, their eyes get all glazed over and they begin to ignore me.

TIA!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Ok...this time ask in english.
    I want the new-design Protege label (on the trunklid) that comes with the 2002s. I wanna replace mine, because I like the look of the new one better. How do I do it?

And I am too dumb! I was suppose to spray the tint on the taillamps on the outside, not the inside. God, I feel dumb right about now. :)
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    They aren't available yet. The part number is BL8E-51-720. Check with your dealer in a couple months.
    Why don't you install ultraviolet lamps? LOL! That would be really cool!

protegextwo: Send all that stuff to HOST_pat! LOL

Maybe the last car Daewoo, or is it Daewhoa now, built should have been called the Extraveganza.

fowler3
    "And BTW, iluvmysephia, sticks and stones may break my bones ...and after reading your posts for the last year or so, a negative comment from you about the looks of the Protege serves nothing more than positive reinforcement that I made the right choice."
    -mdaffron (from Deawoo board)

High five! LOL, now thats what I'am talking about! This cracks me up. It is so so true. What is that guy thinking? Everything he says cracks me up more each time I read it.

Zoom-Zoom
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Oh please please, I beg of you...

Do not, do not, do not drag that Daewoo Bankruptcy disast... er, discussion over here!

:-)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    Its easy to put those badges on. The rear "Protege" badge is centered with holes in the sheetmetal. If you want to put the new one on, just yank off the old one. I'm sure the new badge's tabs match the holes in the sheetmetal. I am not sure if the badge has two sided tape on them, but it would be easy anyway. I was thinking about doing the same thing when I saw the new badge.

Boggse--I don't know if the MP3 strut bar will fit a 2001 ES. The MP3 doesn't have cruise control. I think you would be better off ordering the P5 strut bar.
    I know this is unrelated to Proteges, but I couldn't resist. http://www.startribune.com/stories/646/774276.html
  • 5speed15speed1 Member Posts: 6
    Man, I hate winter. You'd think I would've gotten used to it being born & raised in Central NY.

Ahh well. After an "exciting" winter last year in my 2000 ES, I find myself in the market for a decent set of snow tires/steel rims. I don't want to have to put those lovely wheels through another winter, so my thought was to get a set of snows. Any hints?

Did I see someone here asking about the 14" set at tirerack.com? Would the smaller size adversely affect the car's set up?

I have a new job now at a community college waaaaay up a nice big hill. They tell me the crews keep it pretty clean, but I'm not taking any chances!

23,000 on the ES. My nephew is probably on his way back from Syracuse right now in his new LX w/the 2.0, spoiler, alloys, & moon roof. Another convert!

Any advice on the snow tires is greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
    Ok, I just won't say anything. What the heck is your problem. I don't even care about the Deawoo discussion I was just saying that mdaffron's comment was very witty. Sorry if that offended you so much.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Um, huh? Are you talking to me??

I was responding to a whole day's worth of postings about that discussion that I read all at one time just prior to my post.

I'm sorry if you thought I was addressing you specifically, but that is not at all what I was doing. If I had something to say to you individually, I would have either addressed my post directly to you or emailed you off-line.

Please drop me an email if we need to talk about this any further since this has nothing to do with the Protege.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    While I am not exactly sure that cruise should have anything to do with the Strut Bar on the MP3, I suppose the P5 Strut Bar would do just as well. Anyone got a part number? I did see the post earlier that mentioned the Strut Bar being in the way of the cruise, but when I checked under my hood, I saw no such potential conflict. Not having seen an MP3 Strut Bar, I cannot confirm this, but it would have to be a pretty screwy Strut Bar to get in the way of the cruise. I am sick of typing Strut Bar, so if anyone can find me a part number, I would be grateful.

Thanks.
  • yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    Last week I ordered rims (15") for my '01 ES and Michilin Artic Alpins from tirerack. Call them, they should be able to help and advise.