Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Geesh, you guys have a sick sense of humor.

POOR PROTEGE!!!

(sniff)

Meade
    Jerry ... when you gonna make my MAPP pics work?

Meade
  • duh_sterduh_ster Member Posts: 102
    for u meade...that could easily be MY protege!! still though, kinda funny...in a twisted kinda way...;)
  • norcannorcan Member Posts: 72
    OK, today I had Pirelli 'Winter Ice' 195/55R15 Assimmetricos and steel rims installed for $700 + tax. No doubt it won't snow until January now. They replace Dunlops on 16" alloys. The dealer is Gyro Motors, I'm sure you can look up the number yourself :) Tip: If you tell your tire place this quote they will probably match it.

As long as I service my car there they will change the tires in spring and fall for free.
    Advantages of this method are it will preserve my alloys, no cost to change them, and better size for winter tires. Disadvantage - if you don't like the steel rims you'll have to pop for hubcaps, too.

Whereas if putting winter tires on alloys then the upfront $$$ is less but you need to factor in cost of changing the tires on rims twice a year, the alloys could be damaged by weather or tire changes.

All I can tell so far is there is no significant increase in tire noise and handling seems good.
  • groharlemgroharlem Member Posts: 59
    can't you send the pictures in smaller packages to my email? the limit is 1024 kb's per email, so if you split up the pics, i can get them up easily

BTW: if your pictures are bigger than 800x600, i'm going to shrink them anyways, so if you want to save the time of uploading you could reduce the filesizes by making them that resolution
  • groharlemgroharlem Member Posts: 59
    my email is firstgenprotege@yahoo.com

that one has more limit for MB's...hotmail gives you 2 mb's while yahoo gives you 6
    I'll give it a try this morning.

Meade
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Is that in Canadian dollars?
    You know, I had almost signed the papers on a 2000 Sentra when I bought the Protege instead. Glad I went with Mazda! Here's the latest Sentra recall, announced today on Auto.com:

115,000 2000-2001 Nissan Sentras

A defect in the steel wheel can cause it to separate from the mounting hub without prior warning.

All right! Yeah! Cool! Self-rotating tires!!!

Meade
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I thought about a Sentra as well, but it was a no-brainer for me. I couldn't fit comfortably in the Sentra due to lack of leg room, so I ended up with the Protege. My best friend has a 1997 Sentra with about 91K miles on it right now. He bought it used with 14K on it in Nov. 1998. He has had alot of trouble with the car in the time he has had it, I think. He has gone through 2 sets of brakes, rotors done once, mysterious engine noise that still comes and goes, check enging light on all the time, 4 or 5 different computer parts replaced (I don't remember what), and the fuel something-or-other (not pump, something else) went up in it. That seems like alot of extra work to have to do to a car in 74K or so to me. I am surprised, I thought Nissans were pretty reliable cars. Oh well.

I took my 2001 Protege ES with cracked windshield :( and 19,501 miles to Carmax just for the hell of it, to see what they would say. They told me the car is worth $9500 right now. I owe a little more than $17,000 to pay off the loan. Guess I won't be getting a new car anytime soon. That's cool though, because I had planned on running the Protege into the ground anyway. I will keep it as my commuter/beater even if I would get another car. Next time, it's going to be a Lexus maybe. We will see. :)
    Go to Kelly Blue Book (www.kbb.com) -- the book most dealers use -- and get the real value of your car, Paul. I just plugged your car into the pricing engine at kbb (I put in only "good" condition because of your scratches, dents, Molotov cocktail blemishes, etc.) and got $10,715 trade-in, $12,465 private sell.

My car, a 2000 ES 5-speed with 27,500 miles in excellent condition, got $9,765 trade-in and $11,590 private sell.

Check before you whine.

Meade
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    While cleaning up some files the other day, I came across an old C&D review of the 99 ES. They had the 0-60 time at 8.4 seconds. I have not seen where the 2.0 has been timed in that range in any of the articles I have read (my disclaimer!). So, to get the subject off of snow tires, which engine do you think does a better job of putting the "zoom" in zoom-zoom?

I think they are both fine engines, so the object is to not trash one or the other, just to hear the virtues of both. It will be especially good to hear from the folks who have driven both, something I have not had the opportunity to do.
    I'm glad you found that again. I knew I'd read it somewhere. They got such a good time because they tested the 5-speed. The automatic is about a second slower. I was intending to get an automatic when I purchased my 2000 -- I was getting a little tired of clutches after 15 years -- but after driving an automatic 2000 ES, I had to try the only 2000 ES 5-speed on the lot (actually it was still on the truck around back) -- and I went home with the 5-speed. No comparison.

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!!!

Meade

(yeah zoomzoomzoom)
    I too opted for the five speed. No complaints either. Maybe the 2.0 times I have seen have all been with automatics, but that would surprise me since the testers are usually all performance freaks, so I would think Mazda would provided them with the fastest setup.

Of course, Mazda has been known for not putting their best marketing foot forward all the time either!
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Ok, yesterday I found a link to a site that showed a picture of rear-cup holders for the rear-seat of a Pro/P5. The cup holder is from the Japanese Familia. Now I can't find the picture! Does anybody know where I can find a picture like this again? Thanks

PF
  • cpoupartcpoupart Member Posts: 13
    Latest I've been quoted:

Blizzak LM22 195/55/15 steel rims 800$ tax in
    Pilot Alpine 195/55/15 steel rims 850$ tax in
    Pirelli 195/50/16's or OE alloys 915$ tax in

Thoughts?

cp
    For Michelin Arctic Alpin P185/65/14 w/o wheels: 512.32 tax in.
    US Dollars...

Quantity Item Description
    -------- ------------------------------
    4 15X6 5-114 CB67 ST NEW
    4 P195/55QR-15 Michelin Arctic-Alpin

$514 shipped
    Is if I do go with 14 Tires (P185/55/14) what size wheels (rims) do I need to put on here? Is there some code (like the tire code i.e. P185/55/14) that I need to look for? Thanks again guys.
    According to the Mazda website, the wheels on the 14-inch 2001 models (same since 1999) are 5.5JJ x 14. Also, the tire size is 185-65R14, not 55-series.
    Thanks Vocus. The only reason I'm wondering about 14 inch tires is because I'm going to be -1 sizing my OEM 15 inch Potenzas for the winter.

Also, I've found that you CAN get rear cup holders for the 2002 Proteges in Canada (and I'm assuming in the US as well). As far as I know, there is NO change in the center console design and this accessory should work in the '01 ('99/'00??) Pro. Can anybody confirm this?
    Thanks again.

PF
  • sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    Changing the topic slightly to steering wheels. Anyone out there know if it would be difficult to change out the 2001 Pro sedan steering wheel for one of the three spoke ones that are now standard on all 2002 models. I really like the look of it, although I noticed that the cruise control has been changed from the stalk to the buttons. I'm sure that's going to be a problem. Anyone have any insight?

I know nothing about snow tires, which is why I haven't jumped in recently, it seems that's been the big topic lately. Thankfully, we won't see snow for another few months here in MD (hopefully).

Steve
    Steve, goto this website:

http://web2.airmail.net/emann/protegefaq/

Look for "Aesthetic Mods" then "Interior". There it discusses how to do it (not in detail) and airbags, etc.

PF

• sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    Thanks for the link. $800 bucks is a bit much. I'd be better of just trading in and getting an 02 model.

Oh well.

Steve
    I kinda like the look of the 2002 nameplate, and will change it out off the back when it comes out. The steering wheel is nice too, but I thought that would be kind of expensive. I also thought about trading up (for a lower financing rate, because mine is now 12.7), but that wouldn't work either. Since I have almost 20,000 miles on my car, it's value decreased quickly. That's cool though, because it's running just fine and I like it alot. I plan to keep it for a long, long time to come.
    I actually prefer the '01 nameplater better, but that's just personal preference. What I really don't like on the '02's is the trunk. The new piece of chrome along the back isn't appealing to me at all, and reminds me of some Civics.
  • elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    at all you guys talking about snow tires. It's 83 degrees and sunny right now here in Las Cruces, New Mexico :) And I'm not likely to see snow this year. Which is good because I don't have anywhere near the $800 for rims and snow tires.

On the other hand, I grew up in Chicago and have already shoveled more than my fair share of the white stuff, so I guess I deserve a break :)
    What new piece of chrome on the back are you talking about? I don't see it. The back of the 2002 looks just like the 2001 to me, with the exception of the nameplate.
    Here in Canada, all the new 02's that I've seen had a strip of chrome along the back, just above the license plate. Different in the US? Hmmmm...wouldn't be the first time I suppose.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Don't do that! They're "Fordifying" it. Ack. Phooey. The classy lines on the Protege are just ruined when someone starts slapping chromed plastic bits all over it. Almost seems they're insecure or something.

Amazing what the marketing folks are doing to nice auto designs. I'm sure the designers who first inked the Passat are just fuming at how much it now looks like a Buick. :)

The only thing they could do worse is to use gold-colored flashy bits, like they did for a couple years on the Toyota Camrys and Corollas. Now that was tacky!
  • scootiscooti Member Posts: 13
    My wife & I previously owned a 97 Protege ES 1.8 L. automatic. We now own a 2001 ES 5sp. & 2001 LX 2.0 automatic. Maybe I am crazy, but I feel like the 1.8 L. had just a little more zip than either of our 2001's 2.0. However, we really enjoy both of our 2001 Proteges very much.

Bill
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    The 98 & prior 1.8 was the BP engine, similar to the Miata. It was a motor that loved to be revved but was much better suited to a manual trans. I had one of those and loved to zip around in it, but the torque curve wasn't as driveable as the newer Pros. Yes, it was faster, but you had to rev it to get it to move.

The later FS engine, tuned the was it is, is set up for an auto trans. Maybe with some intake, exhaust and cam work, this motor would be a lot more fun. Of course, throw out that drivability thing and bring on the V-techs.
    But what about the differences between the 99-00 1.8 and the 2.0? Love to hear your thoughts. Figures make the 1.8 seem quicker, but since they can vary all over the place, who really knows!
    From a few discussions I rememeber reading on this board, it was said that the '00 Pro was much lighter than the '01 Pro and posters said that this was the cause that the '00 accelerates quicker than the '01.
    IMO, my '01 LX has no problems accelerating and has all the zip I need (for now...)! :)
    Ok, so I spoke to a service rep at my Mazda dealership and she said NOT to go -1 size (ie. 195/55/15 to 185/65/14). She said that this would throw off differential, ABS sensors, etc. I thought I read somewhere that -1 sizing was the way to go! Anybody have any thoughts on this?

PF
    I think they meant in series, not in overall size. Like 65 series instead of 55.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Every Civic and Accord with V-Tech I have ever drive has hesitated when you step down on it. That's why I like the Protegé's engine, it doesn't hesitate...it TAKES OFF! ZOOM!

fowler3
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Where did you get the price for Blizzak's LM22 195/55/R15 at $800 tax in with rims? It sounds pretty good. I will do some research of my own this weekend and let you all know the most competitive deals.

elec3: must be nice...But winter is not that bad after all. You REALLY get to appreciate summer after 6 mths of it.

Later, Dinu
    Do the math. Going from 195/55R15 to 185/65R14 is less than 0.1% difference.

The differential doesn't care so long as the tires on either side of it are matched. That's why it's better to move one of your rear wheels to replace a blown front wheel (front-wheel drive) and put the temp spare on the rear (non-drive axle). This is why I don't understand why some AWD vehicles come with under-sized temp spares (of course, the better-equipped ones come with a full-size spare).

The ABS sensors only detect lock-up and back-off the force applied, regardless of tire size. They still work with the temp spare, right?

I'd think twice about any other "advice" this service advisor gives you.
    I thought your advice was more sound. After checking that link you posted earlier, it made much more sense to -1 size. Thanks!

Vocus, no she told me specifically not to go from 15 inch to 14 inch tires. I'm not 100% confident in what she told me, so I'm gonna listen to Mazdafun and not worry about what she said.

PF
    "Vocus, no she told me specifically not to go from 15 inch to 14 inch tires. I'm not 100% confident in what she told me, so I'm gonna listen to Mazdafun and not worry about what she said."

She might not fuly understand how "Minus Sizing" works. A lot of people have very little understanding of how tire sizes are figured and get confused as to how a 15" tire can be the exact same circumfrence as a 14" tire.
    Hey -- we ain't the ones designing the cars. We're just the poor fellas who have to go out and make people wanna buy the things, no matter how butt-ugly a product the design department has created. Glad I work for a highway authority and don't have to do anything close to marketing a Pontiac Aztek.

Meade
    Sorry to stomp on your toes, Meade. Engineering folks can be so blunt sometimes. :)
    Sorry for sounding terse about the service manager's advice. I just figured someone in that field should know more about that subject.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Here in North Carolina, 87 has dropped to $1.099 at Kmart Express, $1.129 at Citgo, and $1.149 at BP. Haven't seen $1.099 in a long time.

fowler3
    There's something of a price war going on here in Richmond. Believe it or not, I filled up with Exxon 87 last night for 98.9 cents a gallon. For those who don't care what they put in their tanks, the WaWa down the street from my house has regular for 92.9. I couldn't believe it -- my low gas light was on, but I couldn't get $11.00 worth of gas in my car!

Yeah baby!!!

Meade
    Here in Maryland, the cheapest price I have seen was 1.079 a gallon at the local WaWa store. Funny thing, people were lined up like hell for that gas, filling up gas cans and everything else. Right down the street, they had Amoco gas for 1.119 a gallon. I ended up getting that, because I was late for an appointment and didn't mind spending another 4 cents a gallon.

I was surprised that when I was in NC on October 13, gas there was about the same price as it was here at that time. I always thought NC was alot cheaper in gas and stuff. Guess not.
  • mazdapro9944mazdapro9944 Member Posts: 3
    Hello guys, first of all it has been about 8 months since my last post ( i think ) I forgot my password and changed e-mail services so I had to get a new name. I was previously known as UNMARKEDCAR. I hope this brings back good memories.

Mazda problem?

Here is the deal. My 2001 mazda protege 2.0 lx is acting up ( i think ). The engine seems to have lost some of its juice. It seems to take the engine longer to go change gears between 40 - 60mph. I checked the oil and the level seems to be a little to high. I am not sure if this has something to do with it. The transmission fluid seems to be ok. This problem is also more noticible during the first 15 minutes of driving.

I called my dealership and spoke to a service rep. He was very nice. He told me to bring it by and that they would look at it. He said that they would first want to check the fluids. Than he said it would be good to leave it overnight so that they can check the engine when it is cold. I have also noticed a lot of engine noise during cold starts (most posts suggest that this is normal).

Some family mebers say that since this is a 4 cyl engine, that it is not uncommmon for it to be slugish in thw winter time. They say that the aluminum ( or whatever it is ) engine needs to warm up before it will shift smoothly or will have any juice.

I really hope that this is not a tranny problem. Do you guys think that the dealership could have damdged the engine when they did my last oil change, by putting in too much oil?

MUD GUARDS:

I bought and installed the front/rear mudgards. It took me 30 minutes to do the front and back....so easy. The dealership told me that I should let them do it. They said that it needs a jack. I did it myself without a jack. everything fit perefectly. If anyone wants to know how, ask me.. I have some good advice.