Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Tire storage

I've always heard that they are best stored stacked with a cover...large trash bag or so. If you want to get really fancy, some of the car enthusiast accessory sites have fancy covers. Somebody mentioned dividing each wheel with sheet of cardboard. Sounds like a good idea along with one on the ground if to need slide the stack around in the garage.

It's funny, most of the tire stores out here have displays that are the shape of a covered stack of tires but they are empty frames...go figure!
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Now I can't remember where I read, but the site said (as maltb stated above) to store them on their sides all seperated by cardboard (espically on the ground from the tire).
    I think that storing them vertically may create flat spots in the tire over time, and that is why they say to lie them on their sides (horizontally).
    Covering them with garbage bags couldn't hurt.

PF
    Ok, now I can't remember who bought the rims at Wal-mart, but has there been any trouble with them? The reason I ask is because a Fountain Tire sales associate told me that they've had problem with people buying cheap rims from Wal-mart and then not being able to install them.
    What rims, specifically, did you buy? What was the configuration of the nuts? I haven't looked at my rims to see yet and this would be much appreciated.

Pro Fan
    Check these out for tire storage:

http://www.midcantire.com/pages/tire_school.html

and

http://www.dunloptire.com/faq.html

You'll have to look for the tire storage section a little bit.

PF

• mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    You may as well give them a good wash and wax before you store them.

Definitely put a couple pieces of clean corrugated under the stack. You may want to put a layer of plastic or foam sheet between wheels.
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    Seems jkobty is back at his tricks...

Daewoo Hyundai Kia vs. the World
  • black01coupev6black01coupev6 Member Posts: 195
    the parallax: I got a deal for you. Since I have a black car and you love washing cars why don't you just wash mine whenever you are in the mood :)

nike: You'll never guess who started that topic ;)
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    The dealer I purchased my Protege from offers free oil changes for as long as you own the car. Problem, the dealer is 90 miles away, couldn't find a Mill. Red Protege in my area.

Pjd58
  • pintopkppintopkp Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help. The Protege is definitely a serious choice of mine now. One thing I do want to ask is someone posted that the new Civic "is taking a beating." Could someone tell me what they meant by this b/c that was also a car I was thinking about. I can't find who said it at the moment, but it's a recent post. Thanks.
    -p
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    No particular advice. I would store them upright, but at their base, use 2 bricks (one on each side) to just prop them up a little. And of course, rotate them every 2 weeks so you don't get lumps. That's how I stored performance tires and rims for 2 winters wirth no problems.

Now if you can't have access once you store them, then maybe you should put them flat, stacked on top of each other with cardboard in b/w.

pintopkp: #5896 of 5912 by black01coupev6 Nov 14, 2001 (10:13 am) The new Civic is taking somewhat of a beating. Hope it's just first year issues and not an indication of what's to come.

Dinu
    The Civic has had what is probably just first year "bugs". A few squeaks, rattles, some have said the suspension is too stiff, and Honda had to reprogram the engine computer.

I would stay away from the first year, but I would do that with any car. I think you should be OK if you are looking at a 2002 Civic.
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    ...I think I'll have to think about that one... :)
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    This may be a little off-topic, but it's still about Mazdas.

http://www.carseverything.com/content/article/1346.1/

This website has a wealth of information on the design/engineering of the Mazda 6. I was reading the safety/craftsmanship section of it and I was very impressed. If Mazda can keep these levels of quality thoughout the Mazda line, including the upcoming Protege, then I would not mind the use of Ford parts. The Duratec is a proven engine that will be used in the upcoming 6 (by the way, change the name to Atenza, it sounds much better!!!).

• chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    You really think THAT'S a better name? I agree that '6' is dopey as heck, but 'Atenza' sounds like a Nissan wanna-be. :)

Mazda really needs to get their marketing together (I believed this was discussed in a chat a few weeks ago). Seems like these days they're picking random names and numbers out of the air and sticking them on models willy-nilly. At least in the old days (323, 626, 929), there was some logic involved.

Now they just seem indecisive and goofy.

(The above rant was not meant as a personal slam, parallax person, just happens to be something that has been bugging me :)
  • norcannorcan Member Posts: 72
    OK, that explains your gas price calculation. We came up with the same thing, based on $0.56 CDN/litre. Lessee, if an American goes on vacation to Nova Scotia they'd pay $1.35 USD/US Gal *your calculation* or $2.15 CDN/US Gal *my calculation*.

From recent posts, if a Canadian could afford to go on vacation to Florida ;( they'd pay the same.
    The catch:
    Americans earn $USD and Canadians earn $CDN -amazing information, no? Our friends in the States should think about a taking their Pro's on a tour in: British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland, Yukon, Northwest Territories or Nunavut. Canucks will be exploring these provinces and territories too - because they can't afford to drive anywhere else!
  • cpoupartcpoupart Member Posts: 13
    All - I have an '01 ES 2.0 with 4K on it. Anyone else notice a hissing sound when they put their foot on the gas, especially at highway speeds. I had the car rustproofed a couple of days ago, and am wondering if they knocked something loose on the exhaust.

On a similiar note, didn't someone mention a 'rattle' or vibration when the car is cold. I get that too and wondered if there's a fix.

Otherwise very satisfied with the car.

thanks,

cp
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Usually, it's the heat shield covering the catalytic converter. This rattles if a weld has been broken, although it'd continue to rattle after the engine warmed up.

No idea on the hissing sound. Where's it coming from? If there was a leak in the exhaust, it'd sound like the regular exhaust, just louder. Perhaps one of your vacuum lines is leaking?
    Ok, so I went down to Midas and spoke to a service rep there. He told me that with ANY car, not just new ones, for $129.95 + applicable taxes, you get 4 oil changes/year AND free tire rotations every 8000 km for as long as you own the vehicle.
    I said to him, "how can you afford to do that??", to which he responded, "well its a gamble, but most people don't keep their cars very long."
    Good enough for me.
    Now in regards to oil changes at places like Midas, jiffy-lube, minute-lube, etc., a friend and I were talking and he said that those places may not be very good because they do not let all the oil drain from the car before putting in the new oil. This to me would imply some mixing of oil, although much would be pushed down and out due to positive pressure from the new oil.
    Is this bad for the engine at all? Does it make a difference?
    Thanks

PF
    When the car is cold and it's off for a while (like overnight), it does make a rough sound. This goes away after about 3 mins when the temp gauge is at the halfway point. I don't know if there's a fix for it. I'll check with my dealer next week.

Haven't experienced any rattling at all with the PRO. It feels very well put together.

Not a bad deal on the Midas offer. I'll go see them next time I'm due for an oil change. My only reservation for not going is b/c, as you have mentionned they don't take thier time to properly drain all the oil. This is why I go to a private garage. I bring them the filter from Mazda and 4L of Castrol GTX. They charge $12-15 plus taxes for their time. In the long run you would save a lot with Midas, but I want the job well done, so I'm not sure if it's worth it. I'll have to go once and see what they do.
    I am due for the 16000km svc at Mazda. It will cost $50 CDN for really only an oil change, They say they lubricate the chassis, check fluids, lights, etc, but as anyone, I can do that myself. The only probelm is that they stamp the warranty card when you go in.

So my question is: Do I pay $50 for an oil change and stamp, or $27 for an oil change only? The car is financed. Do I have any obligations as far as the warranty goes to have all that work done, even though the last time I went for the 8000km svc, they only changed the oil, nothing more, even though they state they did all that other svc, which they actually haven't?

At the same time, can anyone recommend any Mazda dealer in T.O.?
    What warranty card? I've never seen or heard of such an animal!
    BTW, my dealership wanted $40 for the oil change/lubrication service.
    I also wonder about the 8000 km service. I'm sitting at just about 10k km and never went in. Hopefully nothing happens.
    Sorry....can't recommend and dealers in TO, but if you come out West to Calgary, I'd be happy to show you around. :)

PF
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    are on the Lexus IS 300 SportCross? Bridgestone Potenza 17's! On a US$32,250 car! Sheeesh!

fowler3
    "I said to him, "how can you afford to do that??", to which he responded, "well its a gamble, but most people don't keep their cars very long."
    Good enough for me."

What a joke! they do it the same way Jiffy Lube or others do it. Get your car on the rack for something that they nearly lose money on but up-sell the world to you. I'm still waiting for Newcar to tell us all his up-sell stories now that he is no longer part of the clan.

:)
    Yeah, they'll probably be like, "well, this gizmo is blown to hell, and this doo hickey needs to be replaced, blah blah blah," but my Uncle works at this Midas and I would find it very hard to believe that he would try to screw me over. That's the only reason that I'm going to this particular Midas.

PF
  • duh_sterduh_ster Member Posts: 102
    which midas does your uncle work at? is he the "big cheese" there??
    'duh'
    LOL! No, he's not the big cheese there, he's a mechanic, but I called and confirmed that he will be able to work on my Pro. He works at the Midas on 16th ave. It'll probably be a bit of a drive from you (you mentioned living in the South right?). If you really want the deal and my Uncle to work on your car, let me know and I can get you his name.

PF
  • duh_sterduh_ster Member Posts: 102
    well, the deal DOES sound sweet, but i'm kinda hesitant...i've heard lube shops don't do a good job (but then, i suppose neither does the dealer!) sure, just email me his name and the address of his shop: duh_ster@hotmail.com
    thanx
    'duh'
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    I continue to waste hours researching possible replacement tires for my '99 pro es [though I have decided get through one more winter on the re92's.] So here's my recommendations based on these issues:

handling
    price
    treadware [price is, afterall, $/mile]
    quietness
    diameter [my 5spd is geared too low in 5th, so I don't want a shorter tire]
    ride [don't want a profile lower than 55]

Ultimate handling: Bridgestone s-o3 pole position [205/55]
    good handling all-season: Dunlop sp sport 5000 [205/55]
    good handling, especially in wet, but somewhat noisy with wear: Bridgestone re730 [205/55]
    cheap, decent handling, somewhat noisy with wear: Kumho ecsta supra 712 [195/55, 205/55]
    don't need a performance tire: Yokohama avid t4 [195/55]
    a little more performance: Yokohama avid v4 [205/55]
    as long as you keep records of your work, regardless of where you go, that's proof of maintaining it. Mazda would have a hard time showing you didn't do the work.

I had a Leased car, which HAS to be maintained, but I slacked off and they didn't car. never had a brake job in 42 months although they squeeled like crazy. did regular oil changes and rotations and blanace, plus air filter.. that's it.

you could get the shop to sign your card.. nuff said.
    I still have no idea what you guys are talking about in terms of a Warranty card! What is it??
  • sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    Its in the back of the warranty information booklet, the last few pages sort of looks like a passport with boxes for the different service intervals. The dealer or service place is supposed to check off that the service has been completed for warranty records purposes, and then you could use it to prove that you had all service done if you went to sell the car.
    I fill it in myself.
    Ok, if you can fill the card in yourself, what point is there to even having the card? I could never do any maintainence and then fill in the card and say "look, I did it myself." I think that the only reliable way to do it would be to keep all receipts from oil changes, etc.

PF
    chat tonight
    They are the only way, because the dealers are not that great about filling in the book either, but at least you have the reciepts showing what you've had done. Of course, if you take it into the dealer, its also in their computers as well, so there is record there. During the warranty period, I'm having all my work done at the dealer, its worth it to me to pay a bit extra, because then if something goes wrong, I can say "Well, the car has been dealer maintained since new", and gives them very little maneuvering to blame me or someone else. My salesperon did tell me I could take the car elsewhere but to save the receipts, but I want to keep it clean and simple.

Steve
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I think you guys are paranoid. Your car would have to show blatant abuse and misuse for a dealership to go to the trouble of denying you warranty service.

Missing an oil change would not be grounds for voiding your warranty. They would have to prove that leaving the oil in an extra 3-5k somehow caused irrepairable harm.

Just my opinion of course.
    Go check out the engine sludge topic before you make that blanket statement. Glad I don't have a Toyota any more.
    Come on in and chat about your tires and oil changes, whatever! All readers and posters welcome. Tell us which waxes are best for winter.

fowler3
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Jiffy Lubes have a quota. For instance, oil changes at MN Jiffy Lubes are $30.83 for cars, $31.83 for 4x4s. Management wants an AVERAGE of $48.00 per car. That means on average, each car has about $17-$18 of extra things on top of an oil change. It was very easy for me to do. You don't have to sell something on every car. Just get a couple big tickets on some cars. I understand that some of these lube guys are crooked. I personally didn't rip people off. There are more than enough cars out there that need something. Honestly, most people don't take care of their cars. I would regularly see cars that need a number of things done and the customer would never buy anything. I would look at their history and realize that they were never going to get their transmission fluid changed despite the fact that it looked like tar because they were 30,000 miles over the manufacturer's recommended interval. That goes for radiator flushes, differential fluid changes, air filters etc too. Many people don't give a rip, especially if the car is leased. These are some of the reasons why I would never buy a used car again, especially a lease return. After being in the business, I don't trust anybody (including the dealership) to work on my car. Oil changes are simple, but you can screw them up: ie) Loose drain plugs, worn out drain plugs re-installed, not replacing crush gaskets, double gasketing the oil filter, overfill, underfill, double fill (forget to drop the old oil and fill with new oil) forgetting the oil filter, stripped plug heads, stripped plug threads, stripped filter mounts, forgetting the oil cap, forgetting to add oil, forgetting to put the drainplug in, staining floormats and seats, and on and on. There are meatheads wherever you go.
    They have never owned cars,just guns and tanks to talk about. What a miserable life they have. Their idea of "out on the town" is sniping from rooftops. And cruising on Saturday night is in the back of a Toyota pickup with a grenade launcher. Zoom zoom to them is the sound of rockets.

Have you seen the "bald eagle" tires on those trucks? And no Midas lube stations. Free tire rotation is with a Kalishnikof pointed at your head.LOL!

fowler3
    You are right about that! I have a cousin who never has the oil changed and he drives 85,000 miles a year. He's retired and loves to drive anywhere. Gets in his car and starts driving west to Texas or Oklahoma, then up to Montana, then into Canada and east, then back down to Virginia. Trades cars every year.

fowler3
    That seems like a low average if you are getting $31 per oil change. I'm not saying every shop is loaded with crooks, but quick lube shops tend to hide behind the veil of a cheap oil change but make sure the customer leaves with a manifest of items that need to be fixed on their car: some valid, some not.

Off hand, do you know what your store's average was?
  • norcannorcan Member Posts: 72
    No, you are not hearing things. The last 2 days I've heard distinct hissing when hitting the gas in the city. I have a 2001 ES, too. I thought it was my new winter tires but the sound isn't constant. Hmmm, anyone have any ideas? I got my last tank of gas at Esso.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    The average varied. Some months we would be at $46 a car, some months we would be at $60 or so. I've had days where I'd avegage $80 or $90 per car on 40 or so cars. If everybody actually did what was recommended by the manufacturer I could average at least $80 every day. I didn't even need to rip people off to have a good average.
    I keep the receipts for the parts store....
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Oh don't even get me started on the "Toyota Engine Sludge" issue. :-) Talk about a paranoid group.

I stand by my "blanket statement"... since I said it was just my opinion.

fwiw---I will change my oil every 5000 miles just as Mazda recommends. I've always taken extra specially good care of my cars.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    It seems there are good and bad Jiffy Lubes though. I know a good friend took his car and his mom's car there, like two months or so apart from each other, and both were screwed up. On his, they didn't put oil back in. On hers, no tranny fluid. I used to go to Jiffy Lube for oil changes when I first started driving, then I got real sick real quick of paying $25 an oil change. I can't believe some people would pay $30. Rediculous.

And when I did used to go to Jiffy Lube, they would recommend air filter changes all the time, even though the air filter was pretty much brand new out of the box one time I went there. Maybe it was just this location, but I know they had to rip people. I mean suggesting an air filter replacement for a car with an air filter just replaced 2 weeks before? I think not.
    Who, me!? :-)
    Hey, y'all--

those of you who missed it...it was le plus bon hier soir...big showing from Way Up North.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Darn, I did miss it last night. I went out to a friend's last night instead of logging onto the computer. Oh well. :(