Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Totally makes sense to me as well.
  • yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    Meade ol' boy. Thought perhaps you went over the hill..I'll need to check my owner's manual for recommended interval to r & r the ignition harness. It was kind of steep to do it on my V6 Contour. Any idea on dealership cost est. for this, parts and labor?

bluong1 #6834 vocus #6837 I read 112 mph. Same on my last car. I don't really approve of that practice. Only had mine up to 104 mph so far. Felt solid.
    Also your ruined alloy. Bummer! Still if it was me I'd rather do that than bend a suspension member.

the tire guy who "did say that tire x is probably a little overkill for a car like ours." IMO its got less to do with speed rating than with some measure of improved handling afforded by that particular tire/size, in the opinion of the design engineers. I could be wrong but I'll replace my oem Dunlops on my '01 ES with the same.

#6854 Sporin I bought 4 steelies for 4 Michelin Artic Alpins. Easier to slide into a curb in winter right? Can air & torque my own wheels year round now.

Off topic..My Doc said, "Lose 30 # son. Quite serious about it! So I'm not speaking to fowler3. I've had to endure repeated off-topic excursions detailing the care and effort he put into his gourmet preparation of a sumptuous ham. Even as I peck away I have a clear idea of the appearance and aroma of the ready to serve masterpiece.
    (a Homer Simpson "hmmm, ham.)

Off topic! Off-topic! :o)
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    lol...I agree with your last point. I don't even LIKE ham that much, but fowler's description had me almost headed to the airport...figured he wouldn't mind one more for dinner. Heck, I'll shovel his snow, too, for a meal like that. :)
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Those alloys are $433 each!

fowler3
    Come on down! I'll treat you to a good Southern dinner.

yooper53, sorry about having to lose 30lbs.

When I lived in Virginia I weighed 195. When I moved to North Carolina I started losing weight and stopped at 160. No diet, no excercise. Never did figure it out. Now I eat what I want and don't gain even an ounce.

I think I have a photo of one of my hams right out of the oven, glistening with glaze, cloves, and crushed pineapple on top.

fowler3
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    alot of time talking about tires.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    >>>>BTW, according to my calculations, my BFG Touring T/A VR4 205/55/15will run slower by 1.81% compared to OEM RE-92 195/55/15
    So at speed of 100mph, BFG will show 98.2mph.
    or at 65mph it will show 63.8mph.<<<<<
    is correct.

>>>Therefore your speedometer, which calculates speed based on engine speed, will read 70 when you're going about a mile and a half faster than that.<<<<<
    Speedo is based upon the axle/wheel revolutions, not engine speed. But your conclusion is correct.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

secondly,
    Tirerack Ratings for the Avid T4 are based more on sizes other than 195/55/15(which I believe is a rating no person who wants a low profile tire will go for due to soft sidewalls and thus fear of damage to the alloys). Thus the better comfort ride rating for T4 is based on tire with a higher and more flexible sidewall.
    Also people going for T rated tires are not looking at peformance, more so they are looking at only a long lasting replacement tire. So their vision/perception of Handling is doubtful.
    Also, I went to Avellinos to take a look at the Avid tires. I could not imagine these tires to handle snow effectively given their design.

I also had a discussion with jake from tirerack and his opinion was that the Avid V4 is better than the T4 in wet & the V4 is same in wet performance to the BFG VR4.
    The better aspect of the Yokohama tires were the 30 day trial and 40k mileage warranty.
    Something that I noticed after I had the BFG installed...it has the rim protector built-in...goood feature.

BTW, the AVID T4 195/55/15 tire is not available on the Yokohama website....intriguing....

also, I'll go for a local installer rather than ordering from a website....too big a hassle to return/replace if something goes wrong....

agreed that the T4 are cheaper, but the difference is not that much if you include the shipping+installation+lifetime rotation/balancing/flat repairs charges ;)
    but also the ignition coils......

the whole damned ignition system was fused.

The new plug wires are plasma blue colored from NGK..looks funky on top of my engine...
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    I have steel wheels, NOT alloys so I didn't spend $400+, but they did cost $150CDN.

Chikoo: Bet it looks "sporty" now... blue wires and all :)

Fowler: That ham description sent me running for the fridge a few days ago, and now you're going to post a pic? As "Rocky" says: Just Bring It! (WWW "athlete").

ZoomZoom79: Tires are what keeps the PROs on the road, so we like talking about them a lot :)
  • kaiserheadkaiserhead Member Posts: 166
    ....just got a quote for the 15" alloys for the 1999-2000 Proteges, $170.00 each plus shipping from a dealer out west. These are the older four bolt wheels.
  • serdriverserdriver Member Posts: 2
    Anyone with a 2001 US-market ES, what were the stock tires? Reason I ask is that I recently saw a low-miles used 2001 Protege ES, and it had 205/50/16 Dunlop SP Sport 5000s. But the brochure specs say the car came with 195/50/16s. So I'm wondering if the original tires were replaced, which makes me a little suspicious.... Thanks.
  • bondobobbondobob Member Posts: 34
    Sporin: I agree. My steelies were 25 a piece...now I just have to worry about the REST of the car (in the winter).

$435US for an ES alloy!! Yikes, mazdastuff.com has the Racing Hart wheel that come with the MP3 for $270US. Of course, you would have to spring for 17 inch rubber but for that price, you could!
    The 205/50/16 Dunlops ARE oem for an '01 ES.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Don't pay someone -- especially a Mazda dealer -- to replace your plug wires. Nothing could be simpler to do yourself. Just remove each of the old wires one at a time, and replace it with the corresponding new wire (they're different lengths). The service manager replaced the ones on my '92 in the drive-in service bay (where all the service writers are) while I watched. Nothing to it. Took about a minute, if that. BTW, I haven't checked for my 2000 ES, but the wires for my 1992 were available at NAPA for $42. When my '92 hit 60K miles I bought a set from NAPA and replaced them myself. They appeared to be the same quality as Mazda's, although they were blue instead of the '92's red. I thought they looked rather cool under my hood!

Meade
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Just to pass on some info I've learned over the years... don't skimp on plug wires. Buy good ones, they will be around $50. I have had great luck with Bosch.
    on a set of NGK (nice brand) plug wires from a local import auto store: $41. Interestingly, NAPA doesn't sell them.

Then, just for grins and giggles, I called up my Mazda dealer. Their price for the wires is $69.60. But then I went even a step further, and had the parts guy transfer my call to the service department. If I get it done there, it'll cost me $155!

Glad this little debate came up; now I know where I'll be getting my plug wires!

Meade
    When did the larger size tires start coming with the 01 ES? That's funny, because when I had my ES (built 12/00) it has 195/50/16 tires on it.
    Thanks for the invite! I've never been south of St. Louis...not sure I would know how to act around southern hospitality. :)

...and here's another question for everyone from the Densest of the Dense:

Cold morning...how long do you wait for the engine to warm up: certain length of time, or should I be watching the tach?
    Don't wait for the engine to warm up, just drive moderately for the first couple of miles. The thing is to not stress it. No fast takeoffs. Should be fine when the temperature guage needle is at normal position -- 9 o'clock.

fowler3
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    I've always read that you let it warm up somewhere between 30seconds and a minute and then drive very easy until the temp starts to go up. Then treat it gently until it comes up to full temp. AFter that have at it. (GRIN)
    the car run Faaar better when cold.
    seems to pickup much better than before, even when cold :)
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I don't warm up unless my tach reads above 2000rpm at start-up. Then I let the engine run until it drops (you'll hear and feel it too) below 2000rpm before I shift into gear. Just my personal preference. I take it easy until the temp gauge needle moves above the quarter-mark. If there's ice on the ground, I tip-toe all the way. :)
    http://www.auto.com/photos/gallery/2002/mazdarx8/index.htm

There are several pics. Scroll through them. Mazda says it'll start under $30K.

Meade

Gonna have to save A LOT of pennies.

Still, a practical rotary-powered 4-door sports notchback. Hmmmm. I think that competes pretty well.

Wish they'd put that rotary in a P5 though! :)
    Yuck! Don't like it. Sorry. :(
    Hey, all--

Thanks for your thoughts on warming up. Ironically, it's a balmy 54 right now in the Windy City--had the moonroof open on my way home from work. Snow by Saturday, though!

Won't be at chat tomorrow :( Give my regards to the gang.
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    The new RX-8 is a real looker. It brings a lot of character to Mazda and will surely be a big seller!

Go Mazda!

Zoom-Zoom
    Doesn't look bad at all (What I'm really saying is that I'll like one). The Mazda 6 looks great too. I wonder what the interior is like. I guess now there will be a choice between the Accord and the Accord (no, it's not a typo) for mid-size models.

Btw, the Pro drives nicely now. So happy to have it back in good shape :)

Dinu
    Meade, If the dealer is charging $70 for the parts that leaves $85 for labor, about 2 hrs worth around here. I don't mind a fair profit but that's nuts.

Vocus..My "knowledge" of the '01 ES only goes back to 06/01. Didn't know they put any other size on that year/model. Live 'n learn.
    Didn't really like it at first, but as the mileage slowly creeps up on the Protege, an upgrade gets more and more attractive!! The Mazda6 looks great too, I'm hoping it'll have more Mazda content then the current generation 626, it would be a real waste if it was just another Mondeo/Taurus/Jaguar X-Type junk box.
  • bjewettbjewett Member Posts: 62
    My understanding is the 6 will be built in MI by Ford. With the change in management there, I hope that means they work on the quality control problems that have hurt Ford (and Mazdas with Ford content).

C'mon protege MPS...
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Will come out of the same plant that makes the Mazda 626 now in MI. AAI(Auto Alliance International) started out as MMUC (Mazda Motor Manufacturing Company) and became a Mazda/Ford joint venture in '92. Since then it has pretty much been on the Ford system but it does remain a "joint" venture.
    Built in MI, man that inspires confidence.

What is the advantage of a rotary engine over a recip? How is displacement measured? How do they hold up over the years? Any advantage in hp and torque?

Thanks in advance gear heads.
    Rotary engine = the pistons stand still and the block moves up and down. ;)

Actually, it has one piston that goes around in a circle. Unless they bolt two together, then there is a piston in each. Suppose to be much smoother and quieter.

fowler3
    the new RX8. The windows are too small, the seats too low.

I've been seeing more and more Euro taillamp conversions around Greensboro. They look like they are made from utility trailer lamps and some old blister packaging. IMHO Haven't seen any on production European cars.

fowler3
    Are you talking about clear lenses on tail lights and clear blinkers on the front? The blinkers are standard among many automobiles in Europe. Even our PROs come equipped with clear front turn signals (see transparent) all over Europe. Visit

www.mazda.com

and click on any Euro country. Take a look at the 323 models.

I've checked this using Romania and Austria and yep, it's clear turn signals. Even my 2001 ES has clear plastic on the tail lamps for the turn signal. The bulb is however amber, so when I signal it shows it.

Dinu
    My parents second Mazda was an '87 626 that came out of the Flat Rock plant, probably one of the first. Their first Mazda was an '82 626 from Japan, interesting sidenote: they ordered a light brown automatic with mag wheels, the dealer showed up with a smoke gray 5-speed with steel wheels, apparently the original car was lost on route from Japan (probably fell off the boat in Vancouver!!!) Build quality wasn't as good on the '87, however, it did manage to complete 12 years of flawless service in the harsh Toronto climate. We sold it last year for scrap for $100, I think I've seen it still cruising the streets of Scarborough....(Toronto suburb populated with tricked-out Japanese cars)
  • reaglereagle Member Posts: 15
    How do you people measure your mpg? I know it's simple, but you kinda need to make sure you fill it up to the same level every time, or the results are meaningless. The reason I am asking is that I just filled my 02 pro up and instead of stopping after the first pump click, I let it get to the second one. Took a good couple of gallons at that. When I kept going it would just click off more and more often. I did not wait until it would absolutely stop, but when I got in the car my fuel needle was past full :)
    So it seems to me filling up to the first click doesn't guarantee that you get it up to the same level in the tank.. Any ideas?
    Here in the states the taillamp turn signal is clear also and the bulb is amber. Same for the parking/turn lamp in the front.

What I was talking about are the third party conversion taillamps that are clear plastic with round, amber turn signals and round, red brake lamps. Similar to ones on the Lexus IS300 and the new Nissan Altama. I much prefer the large, red taillamps on current Protegés and it is one of the reasons I bought the car. With all the big SUV's on the road I want to be SEEN braking, not run over. If you have ever been rearended and your car totaled you would understand wanting huge brake lights.

I don't get the point of those new style lamps. Certain elements here sport them. They also have too-dark window tinting and big, 17-inch chrome wheels. Usually followed by cops.

reagle: The best way is to stop at the first shutoff of the gas pump. The fuel filler pipe should not have gas in it. Then drive and fill up again at the same service station and at the same pump. Pumps can vary even at the same station.

You didn't say if your '02 Pro is an LX or ES, AT or 5-speed? The two models have the same engine, but get different fuel economy readings, and how you drive makes a difference, too.

Join us tomorrow night for Mazda Protege Owners' Club chat at 6:00PT / 7:00MT / 8:00CT / 9:00ET.
    The folks can fill you in on fuel economy.

fowler3
    I'd forgotten about those. Can you imagine the torque. I imagine the pilots all had an over-developed thigh though which side I don't know. Wonder what kind of rpm they ran at. For the younger folks here I'm referring to an aircraft engine that ran at full throttle all the time. The only way to slow the engine was to shut off the ignition. Jump in if I'm in error Jim.
    Not totally off-topic as Mazda does build rotary engines, admittedly somewhat more efficient ones. :o)
    I'm with you on this one. They look pretty ugly to start off with (the rounded ones) and they don't fit the car (in my humble opinion).

The tinted windows issue: I want to tint mine the LIGHTEST shade available just to block the sun a little, but most important to still be able to se at night. I had to parallel park a Caravan with the black tinted windows on the back and sides at night during the holidays: what a pain it is! Had a tough time figuring out what's happening back there as I couldn't see the car behind. SAFETY HAZARD!

See you all tomorow on the chat. I hope I can make it (one of my best friends is leaving Friday for Danemark for 5-6 mths so I might have to go and say BYE!, even though I saw him tonight.

Dinu
    A few days ago, my wife remarked that it's the second week of 2002 now and we haven't heard anything from our Mazda dealer. You may remember that we're buying a Protege5 for my wife, but they had to "find" the one she wants -- it's not at the dealer. My salesman promised a call the first week of January, so having not heard from him, we picked up the phone and called him.

After asking him about the status of our P5, he put me on hold for about five minutes (a long time) and checked with his manager. He came back and said, "Well, it's been built ..."

"What do you mean by that?" I asked.

His answer: "It's sitting on the dock in Japan."

LOL!!! My, aren't we gonna get a fresh P5! He said it oughta be here in about three or four weeks. New car smell, here we come!

Meade
    Your story reminded me of when I got my PRO in July. After I decided on the PRO, the salesman gave me the VIN # of the car and advised me it would take about 2 weeks to get it. Every 2 days I would call him and ask him on the status of the car.

Day I signed the papers: "at sea"
    3 days later: "at the docks" (in Vancouver I assume)
    5 days later (from 1st day): "on rail"
    7-8 days later (from 1st day): "it's here"
    9 days later (from 1st day): ZOOM-ZOOM :)
  • duh_sterduh_ster Member Posts: 102
    hey everybody! it's been awhile since i've kicked around here...hope everybody had a happy holidays and is still zooming around in this new year!
    just an update, but pro is still running great...just passed 9000kms and had my first oil change (at 8000km). dealer said that i should have gotten it done at 5000, due to the weather conditions here in calgary...
    the other day, i took a road trip to edmonton when i noticed that my @#%(!! fog light cover was cracked! best would be a replacement cover, but i fear this may be quite expensive...are there any products that can "seal" the cover from water / moisture? (something besides duct tape, plz!)
    also, has anybody tried fitting a full spare into the spare tire compartment in the trunk? (just out of curiousity)
    i think that's it...thanx again!
    'duh'
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    not going to fit. When I blew my tire and had to put on the donut, I put my blown tire into the compartment, and the floorboard of the trunk would not fit all the way down, the full size tire's too wide for the shallow compartment.
    Sounds like when I ordered a 1968 Buick Riviera. The dealer said I could have it painted any color I wanted for $85.00. Later that day I saw a Cadillac which was a beautiful light metallic blue. Asked the owner if I could check the paint code. I ordered that color -- Cobalt Firemist Blue -- heavy on the metal flake.

It took over a month to get the car. The dealer called 14 times and there were 14 stickers on the windshield. Buick had to paint the car three times!
    First time -- they ran out of paint. Second time -- the next paint didn't match what had already been painted. Third time -- they painted the entire car over again after sanding down all that metal flake.

The dealer received a bulletin from Buick -- from that day on painting cars other colors would cost $250.

fowler3
    LOL!
    You can try any of the windshield crack repair kits. I think they inject a form of cyano-acrylic (Crazy Glue) adhesive.

You can also try some of the 3M transparent urethane film. The 80 mil (0.080in) thick stuff is supposed to be to cover plastic and glass materials. The 40 mil stuff is to cover painted metal. The thicker film absorbs greater impacts.

I placed pre-cut forms on my headlamps and not a scratch or crack on them! You can get pre-cut forms or rectangular sheets and cut out your own forms with a hobby or utility knife.

This stuff is sold under a couple names. I bought mine from Stongard. I've had them on my car for about 3 years now. Too bad they didn't have the precut front-end kit for my car. Now there're too many chips to bother putting one on. :(
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I know of a few places in Calgary that sell that 3M/Stonegard material. Looks pretty good as it's perfectly transparent. If I had fog lights, I would definitely get some put on. I'm not sure if it would keep moisture out since it's already cracked though.
    If you goto www.trimlinecalgary.com , they have pictures of the material. There are also other places that sell the same sort of stuff.

Mazdafun, what year is your pro? The places I called said they would custom cut it for the hood of my car. I also seem to recall seeing a cut-out kit for my '01 LX. I don't trust myself with those cut-out kits, so I thought about getting it done professionally, but it's fairly pricey. It would be really nice though, since I love the front end of my Pro a lot, and don't really want to hide it with a bra/hood deflector.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I wouldn't want a brand new car painted. Why would they paint a brand new car?