Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    The 2002 Mazda speed 3 will be based upon the Protege this year and come out in three colors...Black, Mica and orange. 190hp. 1500 units will be built. This is the 2002 answer to the 2001 Mp3.

Rich
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    Welcome to the Mazda Protegé Owners Club boards. Tell us where you are from.

fowler3
    something about IRC (Internet Relay Chat) also called Ircle.

theparalla wrote:
    IRC is a popular way to connect, but everyone would have to download and install a client (http://www.mirc.com) and we would have to create a room on a server somewhere. I don't have any experience with that, but IRC is very customizable and supports moderators and stuff...

The above is true, it is very customizable and you can set replies from individuals in colored text as well as the moderator's text. Very easy to follow threads.

The big difference between Ircle and other chat clients is the others are usually a window on a web site -- such as edmunds chat. Ircle is part of the Internet, but NOT on a web site, it is a standalone
    client which you launch separately from your browser.

What you will see is a large window, fills your screen, with a tool box and a set up dialog box, and the place where you type. The set up requires a User Name, Nickname, and Password. We do need a server as the Host client and that is what I am looking in to. Users log onto the host and then launch Ircle.

I can open Ircle and take a snapshot of the window and e-mail it to you, so you can see what it looks like. Just check my Profile and email your address to me.

fowler3
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Thank you for this exciting info on the 2002 version of the MP3. Did you find this info at mazda.com or elsewhere? Could you please let us know the link? Welcome to our board!

Dale: Now that I think about it, it seems a little strange to get those business cards under your wipers. I throw out those advertisements w/out reading them as we get a lot in our parking lot at university.

Dinu
  • elec3elec3 Posts: 160
    Audia8q is a (Mazda) dealer. I thought he had posted here before but maybe that was only over on the Protege5 boards. It's kind of neat to get some early behind the scenes info from people in the biz before it's 100% ready for public consumption.

I would love something like my Pro5 or a sporty Protege sedan with 190HP, but now that I think about it, I'm probably better off having the Pro5 for insurance purposes. I had an accident last year with my B2300 pickup (which was an accident waiting to happen) and my insurance went through the roof. The Pro5 will be paid off by the time I'm 25 or 26 and hopefully by then my insurance will have dropped to acceptable levels so I can afford to own something like a 190HP Protege or a WRX (I'm generally a careful driver and have not had a ticket in the almost 7 years I've been driving except for the one I got and had dismissed for my accident, which was truly an accident).

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. IRC is a viable option for chat, but it's probably not what I would prefer. The thing about IRC is that it can be a bit shady...it's where the people who don't want to be seen or found often hang out. You can usually set up your channel with member lists and operaters and all that stuff so it's secure, but it's just not as nice a place as some of the private Java chat rooms you can find. Having said that, I like IRC, but when I go there, it's usually for very specific purposes and not to hang out and chat (I'll leave those purposes to your imagination so as not to incriminate myself). And fowler is right, coding, software engineering, and HTML for commerical use are no trivial tasks. The more I program, the more I realize just how hard it is to develop something commercially usable. I try not to even think about something like Windows with millions of lines of code - it makes my head spin.
  • .....about the status of the chat room and website is getting boring. Lets get back to talking about cars, tires, tickets and the things that make the Protege the greatest car ever built.

BTW, the 2003 Corolla looks great!! Any thoughts?
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    Yes, I am a mazda dealer...along with some other brands...Located in connecticut.

the info I got was directly from the national dealer meeting in California...

I drove the 2002 MPV, 2003 mazda 6. Saw mock ups of some Mazda speed cars too....hot stuff.

Stay tuned. I will post any hot info as soon as I get it. Just don't get like the people on the MPV board. They just want to argue with industry people like me. It's too bad. I have alot of stuff to say about the 2002 MPV. Their loss!!

Rich
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,327
    You've got my heart racing! Thanks for the heads-up!

Now, if Mazda'd only put something like that in a P5 format, I'd be all over it.

Y'see, I appreciate the practicality of that large rear hatch, especially after I've been unable to cram something I know will fit inside the car because I couldn't shove it through an undersized opening. Yet, I want the agile handling of a sporty compact, like the Protege. I also want a compact (for instance, the 6 would leave almost no room between its rear bumper and my garage door). I love the RX-8, but have to wait and see if I fit. Plus, it's RWD, which may make it a 3-seasons car. Maybe when I have more $$$ to spend on such a thing.
    ...in addition to sending Mazda NA Customer Service a nice letter, is to ask the dealership I purchased my Pro at to maybe recommend (or at least let me leave flyers) the Protege owners section at Edmunds Town Hall. Worth a call anyway. They'd be wondering what's in it for them (hey, a community of other owners who can offer useful advice etc. Several posters here have admitted they decided on a Protege after lurking and reading the very positive comments and experiencing the overall genial nature of the Protege boards.).

Of course, I'd probably better be more diplomatic about expressing my opinion on the ability of drivers around here. ;)
    Here's what is listed on MazdaUSA's owners site (no chats there, but at least it runs now):

Phone
    800-222-5500 (M-F, 9AM-5:45PM ET, 9AM-5:45PM CT, 8AM-4:45PM PT).

Land
    Mazda North American Operations
    P.O. Box 19734
    Irvine, CA 92623-9734 (Hey, nice location! Color me green with envy.)
    Attn: Customer Assistance Center

Oops, I forgot to note their e-mail address. It's a hypertext link, so it naturally didn't come out in my print-out. I'll come back with a post later.

Also on the MazdaUSA site, if you click on the new models (or future) models links, you will find images (including 1024x768 wallpapers) and movies of the RX-8 and the 6. They also have a VERY COOL CG animation of the twin-rotor Renesis rotary engine being assembled and running.
    The web site I have in mind has hosts who can be called in if there are troublemakers. The service is based on safely chatting and the only place WebTV users can chat. At one time, it was the only service the Indian government allowed their entire sub-continent PC users to log onto.

fowler3
    I've been working on a database of all who have posted here and left their e-mail addresses. Starting with post #01 speedypt. If you didn't post your e-mail address in your Profile, it would be helpful if you would.

Maybe, we could get some of the original posters to return. At least,
    I can send out a Protegé Owners Club newsletter and let them know
    what is happening and we are thinking about them. ;)

fowler3
  • It's probably been a couple months or so since I last posted. Job's got me traveling all the time. I stopped lurking for a month and had over 800 new posts to catch up!

Good luck with your database, fowler. My profile should have my e-mail so you can add me to it.

Update on my emerald mica LX 2.0 5spd: 4800 miles and no problems at all. I miss driving it, though. Been driving the standard GM rental sedans all the time (Malibu, Regal, Grand Prix, etc).

Newcar31: How's the weather been back home in MN? I've been spending more time near Detroit for work. For the next several months, I'm basically working in MI but living in MN.

I'll be back home for a few days on Tuesday night. Can't wait to hop back in my Pro and take her for a spin!

Mike
    Glad to have you back on the boards.

Pro owners: How about a Mazda Protegé Owners Club decal, the film type that sticks to a window?

It would be clear film with just the MPOC logo and the Internet address where we can be found. You could put it on the rear window. This would be better than the magnetic bumpersticker type.

No national symbols so our Canadian Pro owners can use it. :) If the club grows, we can do new ones for each region.

I can write to Mazda and get permission to use the Mazda logotype, which is their chrome nameplate, in combination with the POC logo.

Instead of putting MPOC cards under windshields, carry them in your car and hand them out if another Pro owner asks about the Club. Simple to print on any inkjet in sheets and trim.

fowler3
    experiment with some designs, copy the logo above and add a font for Protegé Owners Club. Then a smaller font for the address under it.

To copy: PC users place your pointer on the image and right-click. Mac users place your pointer arrow on the image and hold the mouse button down. A popup appears, click on "Save this image..."

Here's a tip for increasing dpi of web site JPEGs. If you can find a larger image, copy it to your hard disk (as above). In a photo editing or graphics program, reduce the image 50%, this doubles the standard 72dpi to 144dpi. Still not as sharp as you would like? Print and scan it at +125% back into the PC, save it at 200dpi, and then reduce it again.

fowler3
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Welcome back! The weather here has been un-seasonably warm. It's only been below zero once and when it was, it was only -2. I can't complain.
  • yooper53yooper53 Posts: 286
    But for us of the "userdumb" class, imagine yooper53's eyes rolling. I better understood Dr. Steven Hawking's thoughts and theories. :o)

yooper53 out.
  • Yeah, it's been unusually mild in the Detroit area as well. I flew home on Jan 9 and couldn't believe the ground was green over MN from the plane. It's been a weird winter this year!
    whatever we do it will be a breeze for you, I promise. You will be informed by e-mail exactly what to do to connect. We know we are going to post here as always.

For those curious about IRC take a look at the IRC Help pages. http://www.irchelp.org

In time we will know more.

fowler3

• dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Hope you and everyone else had a good weekend. It's 10.30PM in T.O. and I just read your idea about the sticker. I'm supporting it 100%. On Tuesday morning I will have a little time to "create" a logo. I'll try emailing it to you if you have your email public on your profile by Tuesday evening EST.

Cheers!~

Dinu
  • speedyptspeedypt Posts: 200
    I am reluctant to post it publically as I can not stand to receive SPAM. My Hotmail address is constantly bombarded with it, at a ratio of about 40 Spam to 1 real message. My "real" email address is delightfully spam free. I will send it to you directly, but I would rather not post it for the general public. I will send it at request to any of the regulars here.

:-)

Regards,

Pete
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    ...to what PT just said, for all the same reasons.

Fowler: You have my e-mail address, right? If not, let me know, and I'll be happy to send it to you.

--Dale
  • speedyptspeedypt Posts: 200
    I sent you my email address...

Dale...are you going to the Chicago Auto show next month? I'm planning on going the 9th and spending most of the day. Let me know and maybe we can say hi.

Regards,

Pete
    Thank you, I'm looking forward to seeing dinu01's designs.

chicagopro: I'll check my address book list.

Speedypt: I received your e-mail.

Other members: You don't have to be a graphic designer to try your hand at creating the decal. Give it a shot. Use any graphics program you have, save it as a .tif for printing, and save it, again, as a .jpg doc for e-mailing to us.

If you have a scanner and Mazda's Protegé brochure, scan the logo from that. Keep the whole design small: to fit an area 5.5-inches wide X 2-inches high, 11.5 centameters X 4.75 centameters. The final size will be whatever the decal printer suggests for best price.

You can e-mail them to me and I will put all of them on a single page to be e-mailed to the members. :)

fowler3
    ...for making a static window clinger, don't forget to flip your image (horizontally) so you don't stick ink to the insides of your windows. :)
  • duh_sterduh_ster Posts: 102
    that sticker idea sounds great! u can add me to your email list too...it should be in my profile.
    'duh'
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    I've never been to the Auto Show before, but this year I was actually almost considering it. If it looks like I can make it on the 9th (it would probably be mid-afternoon), I'll let you know in advance.
  • vidyaevidyae Posts: 2
    Hi All, I am new to this message board and I would like to get your opinions on the following issue.

I bought a new 2001 Protege ES in August 2001 (my first car) and unfortunately met with an accident in my car port in September, 2001. I have not been able to use my car since then because my car is in the body shop to date. Several of the parts were in National back order and the body shop received the last of the parts last Friday (Jan 18th, 2002) and they've told me my car will be ready later this week.

I am very disappointed with Mazda for this. Has anyone had (or heard of) any similar problems with getting Mazda parts? Can Mazda be held responsible for this? Am I entitled to any compensation? A friend of mine suggested that I ask Mazda for an extension of warranty. Do I just have to live with the damages caused to my brand new car due to sitting idle in the shop for 4 months? Is there something I can do about it?
  • pjd58pjd58 Posts: 366
    My 96 Protege, only two months old, was in the shop for only two weeks after being in a accident. Others on this board have had their 2000 & 2001 repaired in a normal time frame( 2 to 3 weeks). I won't blame Mazda, it could be your body shop. Also, depending on the severity of the damage, there may be some latent damage and more parts have to be ordered. Call Mazda NA and plead your case. Good luck!

Pjd58