Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Are the lamps on the Acura TL HID? I imagine they probably retail about $1000, even if they're not HID. Wonder if HID lamps are any good w/o the ballast and other parts of the boost system. Are these integrated into the headlamps? Good reason to not have them, I guess.

There will always be some folks who always ruin things for others. I don't understand that mind-set at all.
  • yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    No doubt about it Chicago can get some ferocious winter. Just watched something on the history channel about blizzards that shut the city down in '67 and '79.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Did you guys hook up at the Car Show this weekend?
    If so what was the hi-lite of the show?

-Larry
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Eight-month-old Sean decided to stay up and cry all night Sunday night. Tammy has a new job and hasn't earned much sick leave, so after a quick family meeting it was decided that yours truly would spend Sunday night up with the baby.

What a college-like day it turned out to be yesterday. I got to bed when she and Sean left for work around 6:30 a.m., and slept until noon. Then I grabbed my vacuum cleaner, rags, bucket, etc., and spent the next three hours giving MY Protege a bath in the 68-degree sun --- ahhhhhh!

Then I took a little zoom through the countryside and still had time to stop by Costco to buy dinner and a new car seat for Sean's new ride (the white P5), before they got home!

No, I haven't driven it yet. But I've been a passenger plenty, and boy what a car! I've posted all the particulars over on the Yahoo! group -- I may post them here too later, but I've got some stuff I have to catch up on this morning from my day off yesterday. So please forgive me; more to come ...

(BTW, now I have the problem of not knowing which Town Hall topic to hang out on!!!)

Meade
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Glad to hear all is well with the new car. And you were right, the white is pretty nice. It may have moved up to #2 on my list. Didn't quite come to a deal last night, but we're pretty close. We put the car seat in the back, it's a bit tight, but will work till we switch to a front facing one. Again, congrats on the new car.....
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Yooper: I vividly remember both the winters of 67 and 79. My mom and I were caught away from home at the beginning of the 67 blizzard...took several hours to get home by bus, taxi, and on foot.

The blizzard of 79 was the reason I never got my driver's license when I was a teenager. I was taking driver ed that winter in high school. About the time I got my learner's permit and was supposed to be practicing on the family car, we got dumped on. Our car (an old yellow Beetle) was buried on our side street for the better part of the winter. By the time the spring thaw came, I guess I had lost interest or my permit expired or something. (BTW, the car started right up the first time, even after all those months as a snow cone!)

Larry: Speedypt and I are meeting up at the car show on Saturday, Feb. 9th...so it's not too late for other Chicago folks to join us. I know you're out there...make yourselves heard!

Meade: Congrats on the new wheels!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    You can't go wrong with the Red Barchetta as far as classic driving tunes go. That song embodies what it's like to experience the first drive. Great Choice!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The auto show in Chicago is the same weekend as the one in the Baltimore? Cool! I will be at the auto show on Feb. 9th too. It ends on the 10th though, and starts on the 6th.
    The white definitely grows on you. Plus, in my opinion it makes the car look larger.

I really like the charcoal interior and the black floor mats. The gray ones in my 2000 ES are already showing black grease marks; the black ones will probably hold up better.

We've got a rear-facing child seat in the back seat, and it definitely cramps the leg room in the front passenger seat. However, I just purchased Sean a forward-facing seat yesterday and am looking forward to having leg room again!

One thing I did notice -- the trunk in the P5 is not as deep as the trunk in the Protege -- by a good 6 inches or so. We can fit our collapsed stroller in my Protege sideways and lengthwise, but it'll only go in the P5's trunk sideways. Trying to put it in straight leaves the wheels hanging out of the trunk. That's interesting -- everything I've read has said the trunks are the same size (except for height, of course).

Meade
    By about 4-5 inches. It's taken from the rear end. The cargo area is taller than in the sedan, but is definitely shorter front-to-back.
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    I'm a little busy, and scared, to read back through 7000 posts. I'm deciding between the Sentra, Civic, and Protegé. (2001 or 2002) and though I haven't really started the test driving, (tonight I'm hitting the dealers), I'm hoping I'll get honest opinions on the car- I know that no car for this price is perfect and I'm trying to discover the vehicles pros and cons. I'm mainly looking for comfort and quality for the wife but I'm a pretty agressive driver myself. I'm already happy with my Miata as well, which puts Mazda in the good books for me. Does anyone have any problems? Does anyone regret buying one? I'm also curious as to how older (mid '90s) models are holding up.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    Does anybody know if the bumper-to-bumper warranty of our Protege covers wheel alignment? I think my Pro is starting to become a little misaligned. It pulls slightly to the left at highway speeds when the steering wheel is centered.

If not, how much does an alignment usually cost? The pulling has not become a safety hazard yet, but it bugs me as heck!
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    How many miles do you have? I spoke with a person in my service department yesterday and he told me that the warranty only covers things that are manufacturers defects. Following just that, I'd say that if you have a lot of miles, alignment is not covered as it is known to change over time.

However, if your car is fairly new, I believe that there is some sort of period (I think it's about 20 000 km/12 000 miles or so) that they have to fix things like alignment. I think someone posted that before and I remember reading something like that in the owner's manual.

Are you sure it's just not the road that is crowned and causing the pulling sensation?

I'm actually a little ticked at the warranty. It was -1000 000 the other day and my block-heater plug had frozen into its little holder on the car. I went to pull the plug out and SNAP! The little holder broke off. The block heater cord is fine, but now it dangles down. I asked my dealership if this was covered and they said "no" as it was not a manufacturer defect. I then asked how much it would cost to fix it, and he said that he'd go check. Well that was yesterday and I'm still waiting. I think he forgot...grrrrr.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    Wheel alignment is only covered for the first 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first. It's part of the adjustment warranty. After that, it will cost you... about $45-$60 per "axle".

I'm back... hi everyone... I will post an update later on... see ya'!
    Good to see you back on the Pro board! Just to let you know, Meade has created a supplement to this board at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mazdaprotege/

it's only covered during the 12 month/12000 mile 'adjustment' period. Mine's 1.5 yrs old and 14000+ miles far. It only shows up on highway speed, on street speed it's fine. It could be the road, but I'm not sure. Oh well, I guess I'll wait til my next oil change to have it looked at since it's not a hazard yet...

Still enjoying my newly strut bar-stiffened Protege :)

Hey Meade, since now you have a P5 in your garage, you have a perfect sample to follow if you ever decide to install a strut bar for your 00 ES!

and welcome back Jerry!
    I am not surprised that this has finally happened. One of the main reasons I stopped coming to this board is the "moderation". It seems I was getting blasted left and right by the moderators every time I mentioned anything other than the specific topic or had anything less-than-positive to say about a vehicle other than Mazda. The Edmunds' staff are apparently Honda, Toyota, and BMW lovers and they will squash anyone down that thinks otherwise.

How does everyone like the Mazda 6 and RX-8 North American debut coverage on Edmunds? Oh wait... there is no Mazda 6 or RX-8 North American debut coverage! I mean, I know they are not very significant... just the return of the venerable rotary engine and the highly respected RX nameplate. And the Mazda 6 (which has been covered by Edmunds for the Tokyo show) had many, many details released specifically for the North American market. Oh well... I just had to go to other sites for the coverage.

I think the snap from the sedans board moderator guaranteed the success of the Yahoo! group. I will definitely check out the Yahoo! group and join.
    Jerry Standefer, of San Diego! Have you cut loose your 1999 PRO-ES, yet? We missed you here, between you and Malt B we had a lot of Mazda "Know How". :-) Good to here from you, my friend.

Speaking of good buddies, Congrats on your newest baby Meade! I hope Sean feels better soon. BTW, I'm embarrassed for you! Why?...No, I haven't driven it yet. But I've been a passenger plenty, and boy what a car! Meade, who wears the pants in that family? LOL!!! Just kidding, my friend!
    Meade
    "...No, I haven't driven it yet. But I've been a passenger plenty, and boy what a car!..."

by Protegextwoalso (Meade)
    Well, my Classic Red '99 ES 5-spd will turn 60,000 miles sometime this week. I have had a few minor problems (nothing mechanical) which have been annoying, but otherwise I still like my little "Red Baron".

My passenger-side front door's power door lock actuator has stopped working. It now makes an ugly whirring-whining-grinding sound (kind of like Ford's power door locks in the Escape/Tribute, Contour, and Focus). I have taken the door panel off in hopes that it's just a rod that has come loose. To my surprise, the actuator (motor) is part of the door latch! A call to the dealership revealed a $108 price tag and I have to replace the entire latch.

Unfortunately, I think the power door locks in the front doors will be a problem for many Protege's. It is a bad design, and I am surprised Mazda did it this way. The weatherstripping that runs inside the window frames (the black rubber that the window perimeter seals around when up) also drops down about 8 inches into the door. The end of this weatherstripping sits a couple of inches above the door latch/power lock actuator. Water drips down this weatherstripping and generally lands right on the actuator... Water plus unsealed/unprotected electronic part equals malfunction. When I replace the latch/actuator, I will install some type of plastic shield over it to prevent water from dripping onto it. I will also do this to the driver's side door.

During my door inspection, I also located the source of the squeaky door panels. There are two large styrofoam blocks glued to the door panel. The amount of glue used is not satisfactory and the foam blocks loosen from the door panel, causing that wierd squeak from the panels. I glued the blocks back on and haven't heard a squeak since from that door. I will do this to the driver's door when I take that one apart. I will also add sound insulation to the doors at the same time.

My CD player has become a pain. It certainly will not read burned CD-R's, and it now has a hard time with regular CD's. I will replace it with another head unit with CD-R, MP3, and XM satellite radio support. I will also replace the stock speakers with Infiniti Kappa-series speakers.

I now have a little over 10,000 miles on the Yokohoma YK420's I had put on the car. They are 205/50R15's. I am pleased that they are very quiet and show almost no wear what-so-ever. I am still less than thrilled with their slow turn-in response and they don't stick to the road very well. There is clearly a difference with their lateral traction abilities compared to the Nitto NT450's or the OEM Potenza's. So much for being the "sport" version of the Avid. Oh well, at least they don't hydroplane and they'll last longer than 25,000 miles.

Other than that, my "Red Baron" has been a great car. A few dings, scratches, and chips here and there, but the paint still looks brand new (of course, I buff, polish, and wax once a month). I am now thinking about changing the timing belt and spark plug wires. I have put another set of spark plugs in at 50,000 miles. The previous spark plugs were the Bosch Platinum+4 I put in at 25,000 miles. My overall review: Don't bother with them. The car developed a hesitation and rough idle with them. The new plugs are regular platinum NGK's and they are much, much better.

Well, I should get back to work... I will check in later. Good to hear from everyone!
    Well today is another glorious, freezing day here in Calgary. Road conditions are still terrible and slipping is the norm. Today on the way to work, on a road which looked clean of any snow, I hit my brakes and found myself nearly sliding into the rear end of the car ahead of me.

Thanks to my ABS, I was able to hold the brakes down and steer into the empty lane next to me. That extra 500 bucks for ABS has paid off for me more than once already. Now, I should mention that I was not driving like a moron or speeding down the street. I was simply going along and was not able to slow my momentum enough becuase of the icy conditions.

Duh_ster, if you're looking for winter tires, Canadian Tire has the Michelin Arctic Alpins at 15% off right now.
    I guess I have another reason to be glad I extended my warranty to 7 years/100,000 miles!

Meade
    SEAN is current pants-wearer in the Daffron household.

How come you haven't joined the Yahoo! group yet?

Meade
    I certainly wish I had purchased that warranty...
    Duh_ster, never mind what I said about CanTire. I was informed that the sale was last week...even though I was in the store last night and they had about 1 million flyers advertising the sale in the store.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You can go to a place like warrantybynet.com and get an extended warranty on the Protege if you want to. They are only like $800 or something, but not as easy to get work done (I wouldn't think) as the Mazda warranty.

Meade: Did you get the 7/100 on the P5?
    It's transferable to the next owner and you can
    (a) use it as a great selling point (and get more bucks) for your car if you sell it privately; or
    (b) "sell" the unused portion back to the dealer if/when you trade it in.
    If I have any of those 100,000 miles left in 3-1/2 years or so, I'll use some of that warranty trade-in value as down payment on my brand-new 2005 or 2006 Mazda 6!
    Meade
  • duh_sterduh_ster Member Posts: 102
    ...thanx for the "tip"!

i too had an incident this morning on glenmore trail. almost plowed into the guy ahead of me cuz of the ice...with no empty lane to swerve into! i swerved a bit too! i downshifted and did threshold braking and it was enough to stop me...thankfully!

i'll call my dealership this afternoon about that "service clinic" u mentioned earlier! your dealership is kramer right?
    'duh'
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Meade: Let the stroller hang out the back, other drivers will think those are training wheels for the new Pro5. LOL

I thought you had the message board figured out by now at the other place? When you post there it automatically sends email copies to the group.

Freddy_K: If your wife's comfort is a major factor in your buying decisions, the Protege has the best seats, by far, over the other two cars. They are deeper front-to-back and have wider seatbacks. Nicer fabrics and adjustable to fit most any person. Add to that a spacious cabin almost the size of a '97 Accord and plenty of footroom, you can't beat it.

Of the three cars, the Protege has the best dash The styling is more European compared to current Japanese stretched-egg shapes, think jellybean.

But that's a matter of taste and what you like in a car may differ. The other guys can tell you about longivity; I have had my 01 Pro for only 8 months and am completely happy with it.

TL Headlights: People stealing headlights sounds fishy to me. What other car would they fit if they steal the entire unit? None!

Reminds me of a similar story. In the 1960's, theives were stealing big carburators on Pontiac Grand Prix's and other suped-up cars. Those were the days of the Hurst shifters.

A friend had his carb stolen from his new Grand Prix. Knowing carbs were a big item, he had engraved his Social Security number on it. The dealer told him it would be a couple weeks to get a new one and his insurance would cover it. The carb came in and was installed. When the owner got home he checked the carb and there was his Social Security number. He called the police. After an investigation the dealer was arrested. He got 5 years for his carb stealing ring activities.

The TL headlight thing may be similar.

fowler3
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    The 'venerable' and full-of-themselves Acura dealers of the DC area were implicated in a headlight theft racket!

That would be the day!

I posted a question about strut bars for my 95 DX in the Accessories forum - with so many lurking experts, and more returning to active duty, would someone answer it, please? Thanks!
    -ashu
    does your extended warranty cover something like the door lock actuator and what is the deductable?

I don't understand why you wouldn't have driven the P5 yet Meade. Sounds like a real issue eh?

Good to see you again Jerry.
    Interior space:
    Fairly comparable in the front seat, although I personally think the Sentra's is more cramped.
    The Sentra's rear seat is very much the smallest amongst these three. The Civic has a flat floor in the rear. I think the A-pillar in both the Civic and Sentra are raked too steeply. I kept bumping into them.

Trunk space:
    Sentra's got the smallest of the three, but I think by only 1 cu ft. It does have the smallest pass-through.

Handling:
    I have not yet driven the new Civic or Sentra. I read that the Sentra is more nervous and understeers more due to its solid rear axle. I also read the new Civic does not handle as crisply or as sportily (is that a word?) as the previous model as they switched from a dual-wishbone to a Macpherson strut arrangement (although this suspension seems to be fine in the Acura RSX). I didn't think the previous Civic handled as well as the contemporary Protege (99-00). The 01-02 Proteges have thicker sheet metal in the chassis for better handling than the 99-00 series, so it's been improved. It also has more sound-deadening materials.

Controls: All have fine set-ups, I think.

Sound system: Some think the stock system in the Pro is weak. I think all regular trim cars in these three models have weak stock speakers. The Sentra SpecV comes with a powerful sound system.

Fuel economy: Civic is tops by a few mpg. Sentra and Pro are roughly equal.

Emissions: I think all three are 50-state ULEV rated, so it'd be fine if you moved to CA. Sentra is SULEV, I think.

Build quality: Roughly comparable. Some interior trim in the Civic and Sentra I thought felt flimsy/cheap. Surprising, really.

Seating comfort: I hated the seats in the previous Civic. Hurt my back. Sentra's seats felt small to me (I'm 6' tall, medium build, wide shoulders). Pro's seats could use slightly more lumbar support. This is a highly subjective area, so you'll have to try them on yourself.

I think the main beefs with the current Pro are: AT absorbs too much energy (shift from 1-2 might be a bit harsh), weatherstripping is easily pulled away from the rear edges of the rear doors.

I personally think the dimmer switch for interior lights and IP illumination is in an awkward location. Of course, I have this same complaint with the other two.
    but it's absolutly beautiful here this afternoon! My Pc is near a window which has been open all morning, it feels like a heater blowing into the room.

I just checked the thermometer on the patio and it's 74-F in the shade! Time to go OUT! Can't let this day go by staying in. Zoom zoom!

fowler3
    Yep, Kramer is my dealer, but I'm a little ticked with them. They told me I'd have to probably buy a brand new cord for $20 or so and they couldn't give me the little piece. Needless to say I was ticked.

Then I called Sunridge Mazda (they are right near where I work) and asked them about the little plug. At first the guy said that I'd probably have to buy a new cord as well, but when then I got transferred to Parts and the guy said he had one I could have! I just drove over and picked it up!! Strike one against Kramer.
    It covers everything except the classic "wear" items (clutch, brakes, etc.) -- yes, it covers door actuators -- and the deductible is $50.

Meade
    most of your points:

<<<Fairly comparable in the front seat, although I personally think the Sentra's is more cramped. The Sentra's rear seat is very much the smallest amongst these three.

The Sentra is more cramped and the seatback is almost straight up with little curvature for side support. The rear seat passenger has ZERO leg room when the driver's seat is adjusted for a 6-footer. The driver's seat is right up against the rear seat.

The Civic has a flat floor in the rear. I think the A-pillar in both the Civic and Sentra are raked too steeply. I kept bumping into them.>>>

fowler3:
    I didn't notice that when test driving a 2001 Civic. What I did notice instantly was how small and hard the seats are. The overall interior trim is cheaper than in past Civics with too much hard plastic. And a black steering wheel no matter which color you buy, which doesn't go with anything.

<<<I have not yet driven the new Civic or Sentra. I read that the Sentra is more nervous and understeers more due to its solid rear axle. I also read the new Civic does not handle as crisply or as sportily (is that a word?) as the previous model. I didn't think the previous Civic handled as well as the contemporary Protege.>>>

fowler3:
    It isn't the car Honda built in the early '90's. I had a '94 Civic 5-speed and it was fun to drive compared to an Accord, but it was nothing like the Protege in handling, and neither is the current model. Pulling onto an expressway there still isn't enough power. That V-Tech idea simply doesn't work, too much lag before the car moves off.

My overall test drive impression of the 2001-02 Civic was it's too toy-like. Too easy to break. It didn't feel solid; which the Protege definately provides, you feel you are in a larger car.

fowler3
    Does anybody know what kind of shift mechanism the Pro uses (rod linkage vs. cable actuated)? I just read an article on Civic shifters(http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/archives/tech/tech02_0601.jsp) and was curious because I do notice some vibration coming from the stick shift, but I thought that the Pro was cable actuated.
    That is a very good question. I, too, thought the Pro was cable actuated. However, you can feel vibrations through the shifter and when you accidently grind the gears, it feels as if the transmission and shifter were connected just like a front-engine rear-wheel-drive car. This sounds like a maltb question...
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    Does your car make quick crisp bounces, or does it seem to sway when it bobs. The Pro's suspension is very stiff and it is normal on an undulating stretch of highway, or one with lots of little bumps to quickly bounce and then regain composure. However, if you are bobbing and then swaying like in a boat, then you have a problem.

Here in Toronto, the highway 401 is horrific in some areas. I usually drive between 120 to 150km and quick bobbing can result but the car does not sway. It just kind of jumps up and then qucikly down. The stiff suspension does not absorb irregularities like most other models.

If you have a lot of sway and bouncing, i would definately recommend you first check your tire pressure and then if okay, take her back to the dealer for an alignment, steering and definately, suspension check.

Hope that helps.
    Is the Civic M/T cable operated?

The Pro M/T is linkage and the A/T is cable. I thought this was the norm.
    According to the article, it says "Civics" use rod linkage. I'm assuming they are talking just about M/T as the article is about shifitng.
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    Yes my PRO has been doing the same since I bought it. I did get it aligned at my cost and it was better for a while, but it's back again. It's not bad, just a slight tension when the wheel is centered towards the left. I have 6500 miles. I CAN DEMAND AN ALIGHMENT within the first year?
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    Has any one here done 7500 mile maint. at the dealer? My dealer recommends one, they say they follow the manual requirements and the only thing I see there is Lube the locks and hinges. I think the dealer does a fuel injector clean up (adding a solvent like Techtron) and an inspection. Anyone recommending that I follow the dealer's advice or wait till 15K?
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    I'm curious about that too, although now I'm at about 8900...

And here's a really dumb question for other low-mileage folks like myself:

oil change: 3,000 miles, or 3 months? Takes me much longer than 3 months to rack up the miles....
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    With my driving, (now at 22,500 kms in 6 mths), I have no clue what low mileage means :) I'm on "special" severe Severe svc intervals. No, not a typo.

But stupid comments aside, I would still say 3 mths or 3000 miles whichever comes first as a general rule. I would personally do it at 3 mths or 2500 miles, but that's just me, so don't hang on to it too much.

Dinu

PS: NEVER under-estimate the importance of an oil change! Unless you get a kick out of the word "transplant" (as in engine swap).
    within first 12 month or 12000 miles, whichever comes first, you should be getting free adjustments from the dealer, ie wheel alignment, headlight alignment, brakes, etc.

chicagopro, no need to do service at 3000 mi intervals, I do the 5000 schedule, per the manual. I was stupid to do the 7500, it's just an oil change and inspection, same thing they do at 15000. Just change your oil every 5000 and do services at 15k, 30k, 45k, 60k, etc. I only track miles, not months, and so far so good.
  • oldnumber7oldnumber7 Member Posts: 4
    I was leaving the drug store tonight, walking toward my three-week old '02 Silver ES, when a guy getting into a Silver Beamer several feet away stopped me and asked if my car was my car. I said yes, wondering what he wanted. He wanted to alert me that he had grabbed my door handle and set off the security horn. He had thought my PRO was his Beamer!
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    My dealer recommends an oil change and tire rotation at 7,500 miles. I plan on changing my oil every 5,000 miles or 4 months , which ever comes first. My service manager recommended this oil change schedule( It doesn't void the warranty). My first oil change was last week at 3000 miles, I didn't want to wait to 5k for the first oil change. With new oil technology, every 3000 isn't necessary, unless you drive under serve conditions, and it wastes our natural resources.

Pjd58
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    I am using Syntec so we will have the oil changed every 7,000 miles or so. This is the same maintenance schedule that we have used on our other cars and so far it's been succesfull.

So far I am at 9,000 miles with no problems. Only thing I would change is the engine. It's great in traffic but it's a bore on the highway compared to our 93 Civic. I still think the best place for power is on the high end because that's where you need it most for passing.

We drove the new Altima....great car except for that darn interior. Give that thing a more tactically pleasing interior and it would be way at the top of our list for our next purchase. We only drove the 2.5S but the engine and the 5-speed work well together and there is plenty of room. Also while we were talking with the salesman he mentioned they were giving $5000 off 2002 Maximas with 3.9% for 60 months.. hmmm.