Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    1) Well, Mazda sells some Kenwoods for the rear(p/n: 0000-81-C05A) and also 6x8s for the front (p/n: 0000-81-C04A). You can get these through your dealer or if you want to do the install yourself you can order them from one of these places:

http://www.mazdastuff.com/

http://www.mazdadiscountparts.com/

Otherwise I would recommend using Crutchfield to figure out what will fit. Clearances are a little tight, so most 3-ways won't fit.

2) I don't know for sure, but in talking to Crutchfield, they feel that output is about 10-15 watts per channel which is slightly above average for factory systems.

3) Sorry, can't help you here.

• Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Would someone who has replaced the rear factory speakers on 2002 Pro please give me step-by-step instructions on how and what to remove to get to and replace those speakers?

I have heretofore always installed my own car radios and speakers (I would always order new car without radio or speakers), but the Pro looks like a challenge to replace the rear speakers. Am I wrong?
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    "I am expecting the automatic overdrive to make
    highway cruising relatively quiet and non-stressful to the engine."

It's relatively quiet at highway speeds (70mph) and just as stable as at 45mph. The steering isn't twitchy, it tracks straight. Solid and confident. You'll love it!

Sorry zoomzoom79, I find the Protegé a lot more enjoyable on the highways than the Honda Accords I have owned -- '86, '92, '97, '98.

There's something about the Protegé, you don't feel like you are going fast, yet you get there quicker. And you want to keep on going! A ten hour trip in the Pro is fun; in a Honda it's boring.

fowler3
  • Options
    elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    The Protege is pretty good at highway speeds, depending on how fast that is for you. 60 is a breeze and there's power to spare all the way up to 80. Once you hit 80, you better either find a hill or get real determined if you want to go much faster. I've had my Pro5 up to 100 and do not recommend it. Allegedly the limiter is set to 119. You can go that fast but the engine begs you to treat it more nicely at that point.

If high RPMs don't freak you out too much, you'll have no problem with highway driving at more realistic speeds. 70mph with an automatic can usually be accomplished at around 3200 rpm and 80 at around 3600 or so. This is maybe not as low-rev (and therefore as quiet) as you might like, but you get used to it. When driving at 70, if you go to pass, you will most likely kick out of overdrive (if you don't do so manually - I do) sending your revs up into the 4500-5000 range which can be a little noisey and scary, but provides you with the power you need to pass. If anyone wonders why I'm driving 80 or more, the speed limit on interstates here is 75 and going 70-75 will get you passed in a hurry - and besides, out here there's really nothing to see between points A and B so you might as well just get there ;)

As for the rear speakers, yes they are a pain. I had to take apart the rear doors in my Pro5 to access the rear speakers in order to get a signal for a sub I installed in the hatch. The quick and dirty version of this is as follows: remove all visible screws and fasteners, remove the door handle/armrest cover, remove the screws behind the cover, remove the door panel. I have written a more detailed account in the Protege5 board, but I can't remember the post number. It's difficult but not impossible if you are patient and have some idea what you are doing.

Finally to Meade: You should set up a beer exchange with Larry, he can send you some wonderful Yuengling's, which is not available in too many places. My dad brought a couple cases home the last time he was out in PA - what a good beer :)
  • Options
    In the Protege sedan, the speakers are under the rear window, not in the doors. If you are wanting to replace speakers in the rear deck of a Protege sedan, check out post 265 in the Mazda Protege Owners: Accessories & Modifications forum. Anyone wishing to modify their Protege should take the time to read through these posts. There is a lot of good info there.
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Looks like Mazda is really lighting up the works with their MPS versions.

Just got back from a local auto show. A Mazda corp rep informed me there will be MPS versions of the Protege sedan and P5. Engine output around 180hp. MSRP for the P5 about $20k. The MPS MPV (which he says drives really sportily with the upgrades) will have a 280hp engine.

My eyes popped, my jaw dropped, It was all I could do to keep from drooling all over the place. :)

Keep an eye out for Mazda corp reps at your car shows. I got a stack of $500 coupons that are good in addition to existing incentives ($1000+500 =$1500 for Pro sedans, $750+500=$1250 for P5s). Too bad they're only good for the local dealers and only until March 9 or I'd offer them here. As it is, I'm going to spread them around to my friends and co-workers. No mention of combining with the S-plan or not. They may have similar promotions in your area. Keep your eyes peeled!
  • Options
    edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    I pay $55 a month for full coverage on my 2001 ES PRO with a multicar discount
  • Options
    with which company?

fowler3
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    At least according to a letter I received from MazdaUSA today. I'd requested info about the 6 when the website first had a mention of it (months ago) and the letter I received said the brochures are being printed and the car will be released early 2003.

Pity :-( Guess I can make do with my 95 DX until then, or just 'settle' for an MPS Protege or P5 (if they're going to be out sooner)!

-ashu
  • Options
    fowler3 and elec3: Thanks for your inputs. I believe I can live with "cruising" at no more than 80 mph here in the Mid-West (if I were to travel in Nevada I might want to cruise faster). So far, I have found little inclination to take my transmission out of over-drive even in city traffic. Is there any reason to do otherwise?

boggse: I forgot to say that my 2002 Pro is an LX sedan. Thanks for the reference to Post #265 where it was confirmed for me that replacing the rear speakers is not all that easy (it's just that I already have two JBL 6x9's to put back there). I'll wait till spring in any case.

I have found the Purolator PL14620 oil filter seems to be an exact alternative for the PL14622 that is listed for the Pro 2.0L engine. The PL14620 is only about 5/8" longer, but for the same price why not have a larger filter?

I think it very curious that the Mazda Pro LX Owner's Manual shows tire rotation to be front-to-back only (not cross-switched), while the Bridgestone tire warranty brochure that came with the "Owner's Manual package" shows cross-switch rotation only! The Potenza RE92's are so-called "unidirectional" tires, so I do believe they should be rotated front-to-back only.
  • Options
    zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    fowler: I don't know what 92-97-98 Accords you were driving but I have to disagree with you. I remember the good ole days with my 99 EX 5-speed sedan. 4 people with a trunk load of stuff, plenty of room, cold AC (New Orleans 110 degrees), and cruising an easy 90-95 MPH all the way home while still averaging 32 MPG.

Honda engines are meant for the highway. The Protege may have the suspension for the highway but the engine is so bad that it negates any fun the suspension wants you to have. The Protege's engine will rev just as high as the Civic's but the difference is the higher the RPM's get in the Civic the better it sounds while the higher the RPM's get in the Protege the lower the gas hand goes.
  • Options
    number42number42 Member Posts: 67
    My wife and I just bought a protege. In our case it was a 2002 dx w/ auto and the convenience package.

First off: My wife is concerned about whether we overspent. We live in NYC, and ended up being quoted an Out the door Price of $14,200 (Includes Destination, Taxes (8.25%) and Title and registration fees (Dealer says around $130, I calculate at around $80)). Were we hosed?

Second. Is there anything I should need for the car, as it is our car together, (and my first car ever)?
  • Options
    number42: Did you finance the car?

$14,200 seems like a pretty reasonable price with taxes and everything included.
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Happy Birthday, old man!

(Okay, I guess I can't call 30 'old', can I?:)
  • Options
    No. Its an all-cash deal. We made it clear from the start.
  • Options
    Still seems like a pretty good price. Why didn't you take advantage of the 0.0% interest and just save the cash?
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Ron: I also can't wait till Melbourne. I'm liking the new Renault team, although JV is my fav driver. What do you think are their chances? I also like WRC. Nothing like going 100 with a mountain on one side and a valley on the other on roads made for walking, not driving...

Jim: Insurance rates vary a lot b/w companies. My current company quoted me $1900 for a 93 Mazda Mx-3/yr, while big companies that are advertised everywhere quoted $3500, $4500, and even $8400!!! So it pays IMO to ignore large insurance companies, at least here in Canada.

Alternator: You should be able to reach the back shelf speakers from the trunk. I have done a similar job 2 summers ago in a Sunfire and it was a breeze.

Dinu
    Those MX-3 look better every time I see one :)
  • Options
    1. My credit is not all that great. I know it and I also figure i wouldn't qualify, so why bother trying.
    2. My wife doesn't like or approve of loans.
    3. My wife has this odd concept of Cash being king. She doesn't get the concept of the dealer making $$ on the interest.

I have to say though, it did take the dealer aback to have my wife doing the hard haggling over price.
  • Options
    Welcome to THE Club! Hope you have many ZOOM-ZOOM miles in your PRO!

Dinu
  • Options
    Don't I wish! The speakers can be reached from the trunk, but they can only be removed upwards.
  • Options
    Then that would mean you somehow have to remove or just move the back shelf on which they rest, then glide the speakers out??? Doesn't look like an easy job (:
  • Options
    You'd have to remove the rear deck trim panel to remove the stock speakers. You can mount the replacements under the rear deck, which would allow you to use ones with tweeters that stick out further, but intrudes upon the trunk space.
  • Options
    BTW, while poking around at the auto show, I noticed the magnets on the Corolla S sedan's rear speakers are maybe half the diameter of those on the Pro's stock speakers. I can't imagine they'd have much presence.

Also, the rear seatbacks, while they flip forward, don't fold very flat. They look like they stick up at someing over 30 degrees from horizontal; much more than any other vehicle we looked at with similar folding rear seatbacks.

At least they did increase rear legroom so it's tolerable now.
  • Options
    Yes, I did make a plug for Edmunds Town Hall to the Mazda rep.
  • Options
    42: Maybe you should have just financed the car for a short time to help your credit out. Loans aren't my favorite thing either but you also need it. You never know when an emergency might come up and you need a loan or when you get ready to buy a house (if you haven't already) you will save ALOT of money if you have established your credit. So you may want to consider going to your bank and taking a loan out for the car just to build some positive credit.
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Took my car to the dealership for an oil change today. Looked up at the price list while I was dropping the car off...what the heck: "Could you change the wiper blades, too?"

"Sure thing...no problem."

Half an hour later:

"Um, we had a problem with your oil change...you're going to be a little mad at us."

[What???!!! How could the dealership screw up an oil change???]

"Yes? What happened?"

"Well, when we changed your wiper blades, we left one of the wipers up, away from the windshield. Then when we popped the hood to do the oil change, the hood knocked the wiper into the windshield and cracked it."

[WHAT??!!!]

"Oh, my god..."

"Well, you know, the wipers have this spring action on them..."

[Actually, no, I didn't know that...IT'S YOUR JOB TO KNOW THAT...YOU'RE THE FREAKING MAZDA DEALERSHIP!!!]

"Of course, we're not charging you for the service today...and we'll take care of replacing the windshield...boy, you're being really nice about this..."

"Well, there's not really much I can say now, is there? I mean, the windshield is already busted."

Service manager is going to call me on Monday about bringing in the car to be fixed...yes, I made sure he knew I was going to need a loaner for the day.

So now here's my question: How nice should I continue to be? Is this where I negotiate a visor upgrade for myself? (Some of you may remember that when one of my visors started falling apart, I considered asking that they both be replaced with the new, sturdier visors).

Is that totally out of line?

Or should I just ask for a bunch of free oil changes?
  • Options
    pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Usually the monkey that changes the oil, is the rookie of the service techs. What a bummer! I would be livid and go directly to the dealer's manager and shoot for the moon. I would ask for free oil changes for the life of the car, assuming they only let that service tech only clean the rest rooms. IMO, once the OEM windshield is replaced the seal is never the same, I know from experience.

I would also have them hand wash, wax and detail your car.

Pjd58
  • Options
    THAT was stupid on their part! When you raise a hood you do face the windshield and SHOULD see that the wiper is up. Never heard of some dummy raising a hood facing away from the car. But there's always the first time. Sheesh.

fowler3
  • Options
    be sure they replace the wiper blade! Also demand in writing they will fix any leaks that happen later on.

fowler3
  • Options
    pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    good point, also there could be excessive wind noise. Dale ......hate to make you paranoid:)

Pjd58
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Don't get scared. I had my windshield of my 1999 DX replaced due to 2 trucks "stoning" me. There was never a problem with water or air leaks in the year that I had the car. And it snowed, rained, and everything on the car. Also, I out an additional 20K on the car with the replacement windshield.

Dale: I would make them get down and kiss my ring if I were you. Free lifetime oil changes and a 30K maintenance sounds about right... :)
  • Options
    At this point, regarding my credit, Time will fix that. Most of that problem was my choice of college degrees and a defaulted student loan. Both are 5+ years in the past, and the defaulted loan has been re financed, so it will eventually fall-off.

Anyway, here's a question for you guys:
    The dealer did not have the exact model/options of the car I am buying and is "finding it" (color choices: Sandalwood or black (wife's choice)). Is it customary to do another test drive of the exact car that you are going to drive away with before you sign the papers and hand over the money?
  • Options
    yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    Check the area of the windshield that came in contact with the wiper for scratches.
  • Options
    peregrine_11peregrine_11 Member Posts: 27
    Hi all,

Haven't posted on here in a while, but am hitting the first glitch in my love affair with the Pro. I've had my 01 Pro since May, and have found that the gas mileage has DECREASED rather than increased.

When I first got the Pro, I was getting around 29 mpg with a mix of 70% city and 30% highway, and now it's down to maybe 24 with the same mix(I'm maybe zooming a little more now, but not going nuts).

It also seems like my fuel gauge is kind of erratic--doesn't move smoothly from full to empty and kind of goes in fits and spurts.

Anyone have any advice or have found a similar situation? I'm generally taking the car up to between 3000-3500 rpms before shifting from gear to gear...does shifting earlier increase gas mileage? The car seems to naturally want to shift there, which is why I've been doing it.

I love my Pro in every other way, but this is getting kind of discouraging. I'm considering taking it in and having the service guys look at it to see if they can find anything wrong. I respect the opinions on this board and would appreciate any advice/knowledge anyone could give me.

Thanks,
    Caroline
  • Options
    Dale: I think the visor can be less irritating than paying for say 10 oil changes. Just MO. So I say make a deal with them: Visor and windshield done now, plus a few oil changes (I like 10). That's about $350 CDN in oil changes, and the way you drive your PRO, should last for a few good years.

Peregrine: ALL cars' fuel gauges some the same way. From Full to Half-Full VERY slowly, then the bottom half of the tank will go in a matter of 150-200 kms, while the top goes 300km+! All cars are designed the same way. Plus, when the fuel light lights up, you have 10 litres left, good for 80 kms in the city, 100 highway.

Dinu
  • Options
    Before you take-off from the dealewr, take it for a test drive. It's very likely they'll need to do an allignment and lower the tire pressure right off the bat. This happened to other PRO owners...

Dinu
  • Options
    Is it customary to do another test drive of the exact car that you are going to drive away with before you sign the papers and hand over the money?

Of course! All cars are different in small ways that may be a problem to you. Ask to drive it BEFORE you even negotiate the deal. It will have mileage on it and you don't know how it was driven to your dealer. It may not have had it's "pre-initial delivery check", which your dealer should perform: includes alinement, balancing the wheels, pressure check and other items.

I test-drove three other Pros before deciding to buy. Then picked out the one I wanted and asked to drive that one, before negotiating. Then I asked if they gave a good pre-initial delivery check? They did, it took three hours to complete, not including washing and detailed inspection by the salesman and myself, and I haven't had any problems with my '01 Pro LX 2.0.

My salesman was exceptionally maticulous, he checked every little item, and constantly asked me if it was alright.He introduced me to the service manager and the parts people before I left. He hadn't sold a car in over a month and needed his commission badly. He was so proud of new shoes he had bought from a roadside vendor for $20 and asked me what I thought about them. I tipped him $50 (he wouldn't get his commission until five days later and was eating potato chips for lunch) and gave him a GOOD recommendation on the survey Mazda sends to buyers. As I started to drive away he said, "God bless you!".

Be sure you give a good recommendation when your's comes.

fowler3
  • Options
    bjewettbjewett Member Posts: 62
    Hey,

I'm not sure what car show you were at, but I went to Chicago. And I was specifically told the only MPS (turbo) treatment was for the sedan - not the Pr5, though they mazda rep acknowledged a little more power would be good.

Did you hear a timetable? I heard the protege turbo sedan would be out 'any time', possibly March.
  • Options
    I was at the Cincinnati Auto Expo. He said BOTH the sedan and P5 would get the MPS treatment (I was checking out the P5 on display at the time). He also mentioned the MPS MPV.

Timetable is around summer 2002 for all three.

Hmm. $1250 off a P5 now, $2000 off a Pro sedan now or wait for the $20k MPS P5. Tough call. Too bad I don't have more money (and garage space). I'd like to get a gander at the 6 and RX8 before my next purchase too.
  • Options
    Too bad about your windshield. Bummer.

Pardon my saying so, but I'd be happy if I were the dealer and could buy your happiness with a couple of sun visors and a few oil changes. That was a major screw-up on their tech's part. Needs more training.

I'd also ask for some kind of warranty on the replacements parts (including labor).
  • Options
    Anyone think this odd:

When I put my order in (DX, AC and Auto, sandlewood or black), the Dealer told me that it would take a week or two to get the vehicle. (I would assume that they are determining what is around the 8 or so other dealers in the NYC area)

Is this a long time?
  • Options
    I waited for mine under 10 days, in Toronto. It takes 3 days for the car to be ready for pick-up after it's put on rail in Vancouver, for us Canadians.

In other news, Sweden beat Canada in men's hockey and the US and Russia tied last nite. Would LOVE for a Euro team to beat the crash and bang North American style! Now a kick-@$$ final would be CANADA-vs- USA. Then, I'll be cheering for Canada.

Dinu
  • Options
    Being a new Car owner, I am wondering what to expect when I pick up the new car, in terms of paperwork and deliverables?
  • Options
    mazdadude1mazdadude1 Member Posts: 49
    Hey protege lovers,

Just posted my 6,000 mile; six month report in the station wagon room... I have protege5. In case anyone might be interested.

number 42; welcome to the "club". I had no surprises on delivery... but that is the nature of the car, I think. My mazda dealership has always been very good here in Wilmington. Am on my third Mazda product. Anyway, Enjoy! I have been doing so... later
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Listen to me, please. When you go back to the dealer, look VERRRY closely at the actual windshield wiper arm. It is painted/finished in flat black. Check the actual wiper arm for scratches. I opened the hood to my 2000 PRO-ES, with the wiper arm extended, and the hood scratched the heck out of the wiper arm. Dale, the spots on my wiper arm where the hood contacted it, were badly scratched. I hope this did not happen to your wiper arm, nevertheless, scrutinize the whole wiper arm assembly for scratches and possible bent components.

Respectfully,
    Larry
    aka "the love train"
  • Options
    Multiple personalities lately?

I mean you were once "old head", now "love train", what's next? I have a feeling Meade will have something to say about this one :)

Dinu

PS: Just teasing you Larry :)
  • Options
    tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    This is the kind of mess-up that keeps me away from dealer service. I had a '79 dodge colt [great car]. It was serviced at a dealership once, where the wheel bearings were repacked. About a year later, a wheel bearing seized while I was in eastern Oregon, about 400 miles from home. They had mangled the grease cap, allowing water to get in and rust the bearing and shaft. My '99 pro has never been back to the dealer.
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Time Line: The last two weeks of January

As many of you already know, my wife and I both drive Emerald Mica 2000 PRO-ES Mazda's. Both cars are equipped the same, and by switching the cars back and forth, I have been able to maintain the cars with similar mileage. Both vehicles get oil changes, tire rotations, tune-ups, etc. at the same intervals. O.K., about a month ago, my wife mentions to me, the check engine light came on today and after a couple miles, the light turned off, by-it-self. O.K., I go out to the car and check the gas tank filler cap for tightness. Seems pretty tight to me, so I pop the hood and check the different fluid levels, yada yada. Everything seems all right. A week later my wife (lets call her Trudy, since that's her name) tells me that the check engine light and now the O D light comes on! Sweet Jesus, NOW what. I AGAIN check the gas tank filler cap for tightness, no prob there. I pop the hood and check the different fluid levels, everything seems all right. I jump in her car and take it for a long drive. After 6 or 7 miles, NO problems, no lights. I explain to my wife about the O D light button on the auto shifter, yada yada. Trudy, we are going to switch cars for a while, O.K.?, I say to her. O.K., Larry she says to me.

To Be Continued-
  • Options
    For those of you who are interested in how to install speaker upgrades in a Protege5, check out this link:

http://www.astolfo.com/p5/p5.asp

It also applies to regular sedans for the front and rear doors. Additional wiring would be needed to install speakers in the sedan rear doors.

• Options
    mkarnsmkarns Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,

I have a '95 Protege LX with the automatic overdrive trannie.

According to the Haynes manual there should be a drain plug on the bottom of the gear case beside the filter pan but I sure can't find it.

Am I just blind or is there not one there?

I just bought the car and was trying to get some of the old fluid out and replace it with new. I'll replace filter, etc. when it warms up.

Thanks....