Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mkarnsmkarns Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,

I have a '95 Protege LX with the automatic overdrive trannie.

According to the Haynes manual there should be a drain plug on the bottom of the gear case beside the filter pan but I sure can't find it.

Am I just blind or is there not one there?

I just bought the car and was trying to get some of the old fluid out and replace it with new. I'll replace filter, etc. when it warms up.

Thanks....
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    It is possible that your fuel economy has dipped because of winter driving conditions and where you have the air ventilation setting placed.

I don't know where you live, but here in Canada, gas mileage typically is reduced dutring the winter months as many people utilize the defrost and the windows settings on the environment control. Both the defrost and window settings activate the air conditioner compressor in the vehicle, which in turn, affects both the power in your engine and fuel economy.

If you are living in a warm climate and not using these settings, then you may want to switch to another gas temporarily and see whether the results are the same.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I think you should shoot for a new car....lol

the guy made a mistake,...I guess all the perfect people on here dont make any mistakes So let's hang the guy.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    They add a lot of "crap" to the gas here in New England during the cold months. I've seen a slight dip in MPG becasue of that, but still I'm hitting 28mpg easily.

If yo uare only getting 20-25mpg, it might be worth your while to have the daler give ithe once over.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The guy made a STUPID mistake, BIG time. I would be very mad if it were my car. And he is a mechanic who works on the major systems of a car all the time, and cannot remember to put the wiper down BEFORE opening the hood? Come on now, pure, blatant stupidity. No excuse for it. Especially since you can see the darn wiper right in your face at the front of the car.
    I used to get 24-26 mpg all the time with my 2001 Protege ES automatic. But I also drove it hard as well, reaching speeds of 90mph sometimes. If you are not driving like that and still getting crappy economy, maybe you should have it checked. But alternate gas stations first before you do that. Some gas used to go quicker in my Protege than other brands. That might just be it.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    it seems that on here when a mistake is made, the one wronged is told that they deserve the world. Well, all that is deserved is to have the mistake rectified. What if you make a mistake, stupid or not? should you then bankrupt yourself to make amends? No, you fix the mistake and maybe offer some token of apology.

Don't ever expect more in return than what were going to pay for the service.
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    When my Jeep dealer screwed up, he not only fixed the problem (cracked interior trim panel), he offered to let me pick any single Jeep apparel item from the parts department. So I got a nice, heavy duty Jeep pullover. Then I thought about it, and realized he was using his mistake with me to get free advertising. I should have asked for mud flaps instead.
    it's hardly worth it.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Those mud flaps wouldn't look as good on you as the pullover. LOL

fowler3
    I hate it when I am inadvertently humorous.
    than you are entitled to or what a judge would award to you. Yes, it was a stupid mistake, but they are not going to replace crappy sun visers, which are not part of the windshield, as part of the repairs. They didn't total your car.

This reminds me of something that happened when I worked for a furniture store chain. A woman came in the store ranting and raving about the sofa she had bought being a piece of crap, it had broken down. She was making a huge scene in front of other customers. To quiet her down they offered her another sofa. She picked out one and it was delivered the next day.

When the delivery men brought the broken sofa back to the warehouse they discoverd the sofa was NOT a new one, but one sold ten years earlier. The woman's kids had used it as a trampoline, among other damages such as stains and ripped fabric.

There are people who will take advantage of merchants. It isn't always THEIR fault.

fowler3
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I realize maltb's and audia8q's viewpoint. However, what many service stations DON'T realize is that it's a hassle for an owner to bring a vehicle back for additional service due to a mistake made by an employee of that garage.

What about the owner's time and inconvenience? If that is the type of attitude I come across, then I vote with my wallet (i.e., I never return and I pass on the bad word).

Conversely, if I like the service and attitude, then I pass on the good word and continue my patronage.

From my own experience, a local Mazda service department made the same stupid mistake when servicing the wheel bearings on my '89 323. I thought "hey, it's been over 100,000 miles, maybe I should have the wheel bearings replaced." Well, they also forgot the weather seal and grease spilled out all over my nice alloys and up-market Michelins. Not only that, but I had to take a SECOND day off work to get it fixed. Did I get an apology? No. I did, however, get billed for additional labor and parts. What a dumb move. I didn't go back for over a year. I wrote and complained to the dealership and explained why I was't returning. I should've billed them for the time I spent cleaning up the mess and for the extra day of vacation I had to take.

I must not have been the only complaint, as when I returned for a coolant change on my '99 Pro (checking their service with a "simple" job), their service managers were much better. Still, this is the kind of service that prompted me to do most of my regular maintenance (wheel rotations, oil changes, air filter changes...I'll probably start doing my own coolant and brake fluid changes too).

Now I'm in a p*****g contest with my health insurance provider and the health care provider. They seem to think I didn't get proper referrals etc. and are trying to pin me with the full medical bill for my physical therapy. I remember and can document my having gone through all the correct procedures, so I'm going to make some waves. I should bill them for my time that they've wasted by someone's incompetence in the medical management system. Oh yeah, the privately run health maintenance programs are much better than state-run programs...my A**. The only ones that benefit from this are the top execs who skim a whole lot of profits for little effort and innovation on their part.

Anyway, take that attitude and stuff it. Your employee makes a mistake, and you just want the damaged customer to just forget it? That's the kind of attitude that makes me avoid Hondas and Toyotas. Don't make me add Mazda to that list.
    It doesn't hurt to ask.

If they're offering free oil changes, then something equivalent shouldn't be a problem for them. A pair of sun visors should easily be equivalent to several oil changes, it that's what it takes to keep you happy.

That's how business works. You screw up, you make up for it somehow, if you want to keep that customer. Unless you offer really low prices, all a business (large or single-proprietor) has got is its reputation.

Of course, I say this, but Honda and Toyota still manage to sell vehicles (although, not to me) despite their dealerships. I attribute this to their reputations for building reliable quality vehicles, built through hard work and time. However, even they've acknowledge that the customer experience at their dealerships is lacking and possibly driving away business (witness their recent programs to improve customer service) to marques like Saturn (OK cars, great service...I'm envious of the service my wife gets at her Saturn dealership service dept.).
    Bankers, lawyers, HMOs etc.

Car salesmen actually rate higher, in my estimation. They've really cleaned up their act, IMO.

Bankers (not the front-line tellers) are definitely held in poor regard by me. Vultures; always looking for a way to fleece their customers (who also happen to be their leinholders, but they seem to ignore that fact). I still hold this view, despite the fact that one of my favorite cousins and a couple of friends work (or used to work) in the banking field.

Health-insurance workers are close, but not as bad. Most are just incompetent, which is bad enough (I'm surprised they don't get fired). It's only the top-ranking execs whom I hold in low regard.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    I couldn't help but relate my story. Had a Sentra which left my wife stranded on the highway. Local garage towed it to their shop, fixed it, then on the test drive smashed it to bits. I was very understanding at first, accidents happen, but then the fun began. The shops insurance company refused to do anything claiming it wasn't their fault (even though the police report stated they were doing 50 in a 30 zone), the shop wouldn't do anything without their insurance. Trying to keep this as short as possible, I was without my car for 92 days, insurance only paid for 30 days of rental car. Luckily my parents had an extra car I could use. I had to take 5 days off of work during those 92 days to visit body shops, insurance agents, etc. I sued in small claims court for the time off work and the payments made on the car while I didn't have it. I thought that was a reasonable request since I wasn't even involved in the accident. The judge asked if I got my car back, I said yes, and she said that was all that was required, case closed.
    I couldn't even look at the car without getting angry so I sold it and lost another 2 grand on top of everything else.
    IMO, we should get tweaked when they DON'T do the right thing. Dale, I understand it's an inconvenience and I would be pushing the dealer to make it less of one by having them pick-up or drop off your car.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Wow....who was the judge? Judge Judy?? I'd be angry too if they had my car for 92 days.
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    At the very least your dealer should give you a loaner for the day. When I go to a Mazda dealer for service, I expect top-notch professional service. Accidents do happen, but most accidents can be prevented from proper training and common sense, some thing your tech seemed to lack. I would ask for a bunch of free oil change coupons, it's the least the dealer can do for screwing up and promote goodwill. IMO, the visors are a reach. Remember, you will only get something if you ask for it.

Pjd58
    Hand washed the Pro today, and low and behold, I notice my front bumper was hit by some nimrod. I was so pissed off. It must have happened in a parking lot. The paint is missing, of course. You always find new damage on you car when you hand wash it. My Pro is only 5 months old and was flawless, not one mark.

I called my Insurance company and I have to pay the $100 deductible, luckily I have such a low deductible. I have a great body shop that matches and blends paint very well and offer a lifetime warranty on their work, as long as you own the car.

Its hard to own a nice car, and keep it that way, with so many thoughtless drivers.

Any suggestions from anyone who has had their bumper painted? My color is Mill Red.

It seems the Protege's bumper is easily damaged. I have noticed many used Protege's with bumper damage.

Thank,
    Pjd58
  • goolappergoolapper Member Posts: 27
    seem to be one of the reasons Pro's are expensive to insure...
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    I would not report scratches to my insurance company. even something that would cost $1000 CDN I would still not report it if the other party agrees to it.

It just raises your premium for no reason. Just my way..

Dale: Take some oil changes or visors, get your car back and issue should be ok.

Dinu
    Actually, that was the rear bumper and the lack of center reinforcement in the '99 model that the IIHS had issues with. The problem was fixed late in the production year, but they had already branded it a problem and as far as I know they never re-tested it. There was no safety issue, but when backed into a pole dead center, the trunk lid could be damaged. The funny thing is that a pole is much easier to see when it is dead center. Why do they not do it offset like the frontal impact?
    It won't raise my rate, due to no claims in the past 10 years on 2 cars, homeowners with the same company. Damage should be under $750, which is the amt, my insurance company uses as the chargeable limit.

I only pay $600 a year to fully insure my Protege, I'm a little bit older(43) than the average Protege driver, with a $100 collision and full comprehensive and multicar disc.

Pjd58
    had 6 late model Protege's, on their used car lot, and all of them had minor bumper damage, scratches, dings, cuts etc. A very bad design, or paint process.

Pjd58
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    #8071 of 8102 Part #1 "Help, what is going on?" by protegextwo Feb 18, 2002 (04:34 am)
    Time Line: The last two weeks of January

As many of you already know, my wife and I both drive Emerald Mica 2000 PRO-ES Mazda's. Both cars are equipped the same, and by switching the cars back and forth, I have been able to maintain the cars with similar mileage. Both vehicles get oil changes, tire rotations, tune-ups, etc. at the same intervals. O.K., about a month ago, my wife mentions to me, the check engine light came on today and after a couple miles, the light turned off, by-it-self. O.K., I go out to the car and check the gas tank filler cap for tightness. Seems pretty tight to me, so I pop the hood and check the different fluid levels, yada yada. Everything seems all right. A week later my wife (lets call her Trudy, since that's her name) tells me that the check engine light and now the O D light comes on! Sweet Jesus, NOW what. I AGAIN check the gas tank filler cap for tightness, no prob there. I pop the hood and check the different fluid levels, everything seems all right. I jump in her car and take it for a long drive. After 6 or 7 miles, NO problems, no lights. I explain to my wife about the O D light button on the auto shifter, yada yada. Trudy, we are going to switch cars for a while, O.K.?, I say to her. O.K., Larry she says to me.
    To Be Continued-

Time Line: The first week of February

I start driving Trudy's Protege back and forth to work. At first, no problems, however the 3rd day I drive her PRO-ES....the check engine light comes on and stays on. Dang it!!! I call my Lancaster Toyota/Mazda service advisor, Scott Ruhl. He says, "bring it in". I get an appointment scheduled for 2/12/02. I drop it off and he calls me back after a couple hours. He said, "the check engine light issue was caused by a lose fuel filler cap". BULL DUNG!!!, I say to my self. We have fueled this car the same way at the same gas stations for 2 years, however now all of a sudden we don't know how to tighten up the fuel filter cap? He gently implies that "this issue will only be covered under the Mazda Warranty one time?" After that, I'm responsible for future check engine light issues, that code out to filler cap problems. Yea right, ya wanna bet, I think to my-self! He then states, "that they are going to look into the whole check engine light AND the flashing O. D. light concern a little further."

To be continued-
    That's some bull dung as you said... So next time you bring it in, they'll charge you? This sounds ridiculous. Take it to another Mazda dealer if you have one in your area. The dealer where I bought mine can make DEALS on car sales, but is HORRIBLE in servicing and has HUGE prices!!! On the other hand, the dealer where I now go to have any issues checked has two young guys working as managers that know what they're doing and do it quickly and for the right price, but their sales staff seems too Honda-like (aka with their heads up their... you know where).

Dinu
    dealers after what one did to me.

I had a 1986 Accord, which was due for service. I took it to a nearby dealer, the dealer I bought it from was 60 miles away, and the weather was terrible that day, heavy sleet and freezing rain. They serviced the car and a friend gave me a ride to pick it up after work.

The sleet was coming down like heavy rain. I paid the bill and got in my car to start the engine, when I noticed the service manger had followed me out to the car. He pretended to be looking for something. I thought at the time it could wait considering the heavy sleet. When I started the engine the oil light wouldn't turn off.

By this time he was right outside the car. I told him about the oil light and that is was fine when I brought the car in. He said, "I don't know what's wrong with it but it will cost you $495 to fix." Then -- get this -- "Drive it home and bring it back in the morning." With the oil light on!

I smelled a rat when he followed me to the car. I also knew that the '86 Accords had a recall for electrical problems (oil light on) and it would probably be safe to drive it, which I did, since I lived only 3 miles away. Nothing happened.

The next morning we had one foot of snow on top of the ice. I called the dealer I bought it from and he assured me there was nothing wrong with the car, that it was a scam. But to be safe (legally) to call a wrecker to tow it to the other dealer. I did and they fixed it in ten minutes and handed me a bill for $495. I had also called a lawyer to ask him to sue them, his reply, "Not enough money involved." To get my car back I had to pay the bill.

The scam, if they knew how to correct the electrical problem, they also knew how to make the oil light stay on without damaging the engine. That's what I thought at the time.

Honda got a long hot letter from me. Never heard from Honda. A copy was sent to the dealer I bought the car from and he displayed it on the bulletin board for eight years, it was still on the board when I bought a '97 Accord from him. My last paragraph warned people to buy from him, NOT the other dealer.

Oh yeah, I had an extended warrenty which the insurance company refused to honor, said it was my fault or the dealers. Never bought extended warrenties again.

fowler3
    I here you Dinu. However, to this point in time the service at Lancaster Toyota Mazda has been Top Box!!! My service advisor, Scott Ruhl is a great guy and to this point, I owe it to him, to try to resolve these problems. It really is not fair to pass judgment until they have a chance to resolve my concerns. Now on with the story....

Time Line: Late afternoon 2/12/02

Scott, my service advisor calls me back and leaves the following message on my answering machine...."after investigating the check engine light and the O.D. flashing light, we discovered a problem with the closed canister drain cut valve, it has power and is grounded correctly, however it sometime interminably fails to open properly. We called Mazda and opened a case and we are now authorized to replace this valve. The car is O.K. to drive as is and you can stop buy to pick it up any time. We have ordered the necessary parts and will call you when they come in."

To Be Continued-
    Time Line: 2/12/02 to the present-

We picked up the car later that night, the service desks were closed, however the dealership keeps a cashier/receptionist type on to take payment, return keys, etc. regular service hours. She gave us our key back and said there was no paper work or charge. I continued to dive my wife's 2000 PRO-ES for the last week. The check engine light comes on and stays on during longer drives. It turns off after turning off the car and will not light back up until at least 10 miles into a longer drive. It has returned twice. We have not been contacted by our Service Advisor at Lancaster Toyota Mazda since his message on my answering machine last 2/12/02. I will call him Tuesday afternoon.

Listen, does anyone know what the heck a canister drain cut valve is??? Futhermore, does my service Advisor explanation make any sense to the Mazda regulars here at Town Hall???

"After further investigating the check engine light and the O.D. flashing light issue, we have discovered a problem with the closed canister drain cut valve, it has power and is grounded correctly, however it sometime interminably fails to open properly. We called Mazda and opened up a warranty case. Mazda has authorized us, to replace this valve and make the required repairs. The car is O.K. to drive as-is and you can stop by to pick it up, any time. We have ordered the necessary parts and will call you to schedule service when they come in."

Respectfully,
    Larry
    aka "LLT"
  • reaglereagle Member Posts: 15
    Something really bad just happened to my 2 months old Pro ES: it lost all four of its tires.
    I've never seen anything like that.. One moment I am driving at a moderate speed, maybe 35 mph,
    next thing I know I hear a loud bang and the car starts pulling to the right. I get to the
    parking lot and my front right tire is flat, and three others are bulging. A minute later another car pulls into the sam eparking lot and the driver starts examining her tires!! Turned out some idiots were fixing watermain break, and did not fix the pavement properly, so it lowered itself in a day or so, and left a nice sharp edge
    across one lane of the road. So now my Pro sits at the dealership waiting for tomorrow, and I
    sit home hoping the dealer can find four Dunlops and that no other damage occured..
    The worst part is that my insurance deductible is $500, and I am out of at least
    that amount.. Should I try to get the town to pay for that, and how would one
    go about that?
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Sorry it took me so long to reply, Andy. I just came back to work from a 3-day weekend.

Yuengling is available here in Richmond. Pretty good stuff, but not on the same level as the local microbrewery (and a lot cheaper, though, too)!

Larry -- That sucks about your wife's car. But they did diagnose the problem, order the parts, and they're on their way, right?

Meade
    "But they did diagnose the problem, order the parts, and they're on their way, right?"
    -Meade

I here ya, old buddy. I'm not mad with the service department and if the problem gets fixed promptly & correctly I'll not lose faith in this car. However, I was hoping some of the good folks here, might be able to shed some light on this problem. Meade, have you in your long Mazda Protege background, heard of a canister drain cut valve?

-Larry "Love Train"
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    It's near the fetzer valve, it's all ball bearings these days...haha

I couldnt resist.
    Come on guy, I thought you might even be able to help?

Respectfully,
    Larry
    I hope you saved that message. There was no paperwork with the car when you picked it up? That makes no sense at all. No matter what you take the car in for, there is ALWAYS a document, ALWAYS. They have to write the car in with something. So where's the proof (besides the message) that they are trying to remedy this problem?
    The town may not be responsible (and probably is not) for your car. It's that way in Baltimore, Md. If you hit a pothole the size of a crator and bust your axle, that's your problem. It's not covered by the state at all.

Also, the tires were not sliced or anything, so I don't think your insurance will cover it either. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but methinks you will have to pay for this one yourself.
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    Reagle...if the road problem was enough to damage your tires and was the result of repairs made to the road, you stand an excellent chance to have them pay at least your deductible, if not the whole repair. Mention this to your insurance company...they may go after them for the cost of the repairs. Recently, they resurfaced Route 53 here in Chicago. They DIDN'T clean up all the loose rocks, pea gravel, etc...and ended up paying several hundred people for the broken windshields that resulted from the loose material. I didn't get my windshield broken, but I did end up with many rock chips and dings in the front of my car. I called and they said that unless I could prove they were not already there, they would not take responsibility for the damage. What a load of spit! I was able to hide many of them with hard buffing, wax, etc... but it still makes me mad that I didn't push for some type of remuneration from the city.

Protegex2....no idea on that canister-cut-off thing. Your service manager should be able to explain what it's function is...sorry. Glad to hear it's covered under your warranty.

Rainy here in Chicago today...figures...just washed the car this weekend. At least I have a 5-day guarantee from Delta-Sonic (where I got it washed) and can take it back for a rewash by Thursday!

Regards,

Pete
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Most new tires come with the option to purchase Road hazard warranties for only a few dollars a year. Is this the case with OEM tires too?

I know that new Proteges come with an info booklet from Bridgeston (the makers fo the Poortenzas). Does that mention a Road Hazard coverage?

I've had a blow-out too - but at 75-80 on a freeway! Not fun, although the car handled admirable and I was able to pull over to the shoulder very safely.
    *YAWN*...morning all

It's the canister drain cut valve(CDCV) and it's located back by the fuel tank. It shouldn't affect the way your Pro runs, but is a function of the emissions system. Your dealer technician was probably stumped, called Mazda's technical help line and they "opened" a case. Basically, the help line guys will suggest repairs based on their expertise. Most of the time they are right, but they are also on the other side of the phone and remain human.

BTW, how do you tell your two Protegés apart? I don't think your dealer knows how.
    What are you doing shopping for Pro replacements? Your pair has served you well and if they realize that you frequent Honda and Toyota dealers, all hell will break loose.
    Are you serious? I could see that in sunny California, but Chicago in the winter? Seems you'd be getting a free rewash all winter long. LoL. I'm dying at how dirty my P5 is right now. It's warm today, but supposed to rain tomorrow so I probably won't wash it just for 6 more hours of daylight. What I wouldn't give for a garage with a heated washbay......
    My car was really dirty too, and I took it on Saturday and got it washed. Even if it does rain in a couple of days (which it is suppose to), at least my car will be clean for a couple days, and it's better for the paint to have it clean for at least a little bit.
    The road hazard isn't standard unless you buy it from the manufacturer of the tires. I had this same problem with my ex-roommate's 2000 Neon. One of its tires developed a bubble at 24K, and another tire had to be paid for because the road hazard warranty wasn't "activated" any time.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    there is always paperwork and a charge, even if under warranty.
    They will then mention it at the bottom of the repair invoice that payable is zero since work was done under warranty.
    At least that is the way it works at Pacifico Mazda in Philly.
    Essentially this valve regulates pressure inside the gas tank. If it was malfunctioning, it could make it seem like the gas cap was off. I have never heard of one failing. It is a pretty simple valve. Any manufacturing defect should have been caught before assembly, so it must have been damaged somehow when it was installed, but I can't imagine how.
    My mother just got back from getting an oil change at the Pontiac dealer for her Bonneville. After the oil change they backed it into a pole and cracked the bumper. They set her up an appointment with their body shop for next week. Not Protege related, but it's the 2nd oil change incident in a week, and these things come in 3's, so who is next?
    so it's not me!

Re-wash guarantee? That would be amazing!
  • krotinekrotine Member Posts: 93
    Have you gotten a chance to scan the factory alarm installation manual for me yet?

krotine
  • reaglereagle Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for support, folks. From what the dealer told me I am out of tires and rims for a tune of over $1500.(OEM rims are $250 each.)To make matters worse they don't even stock the 16" rims, so i have to wait until they get them. With tires I even had to go and order them from Tirerack so I could get them sooner. Traditional Mazda supply channels are not the fastest or cheapest..
    I am actually starting to think that steel wheels may not be such a bad idea after all..

Krotine, sorry I had no access to scanner. I will try this week, but it may not be quick.