Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I didn't turn the sound on at work on my PC. I will have to listen to it with sound when everyone leaves this evening around 6pm or so. I can't wait to hear it now. :)
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    If you loved it without sound, you will be on the floor listening to it with sound. There is nothing rude in it. Turn it up a little and try it at work. Turn it up loud when at home. I am laughing soooooo hard here!!!!
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    No wonder the Civic lost, he was driving sideways! He must have had the 4 wheel steering option from the J-SPEC Civic ;-)
  • fxashunfxashun Member Posts: 747
    When I can't ramble on why I love it so much. Especially now that it's all clean and shiny from the bath I gave it yesterday.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

I just watched it three times in a row!!!!

Meade
    HA, HA, HA, HA!!!! I was going to attempt the engine translation but didn't dare.... you got it perfect!

FXASHUN,

NO!!!!! I hope it looks nice though. :)
    Gonna wash her Pro today. That black sure looks good with shiny wheels. Wish I coulda downloaded that link. I have flash and everything it just won't work.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    If you are worried about the corrosive properties of SOME GL-5 oil, either go with synthetic or carefully pick your oil.

Here is one that claims to be non-corrosive:

http://www.imperialoil.com/pds/gearls.htm

Some days are busier than others and arguing that big brakes work better than small ones was higher on my priority list. That and the toilets were filthy.

My 2001 Protege ES was black as well. The color is hard as heck to keep clean, but looks fabulous when it's nice and clean and shining. Definitely breathtaking. :)
    We watched that link finally....
    HILARIOUS!!!!!!
    To Galdalf:
    Zoom said that the sad part is the animation isn't complete. After the Civic and a turtle a Protege went by. Actually I wish she had posted this under her name.
    Can you save that cartoon?
    Another reason we bought it.
    My wife's 2000 PRO is black as well. So is my REX.

Black just looks the best clean....it's keeping it that way that's such a friggin' pain... A good wax helps.
    I'm offended by that link. I can kill a base model GTI since they only come with a 115 hp. Heck a Protege can take out a base GTI.

Bdda bdda bddbda dmmdmmdmmdm spit.<---My exhaust.
    I can't believe I just had to go back FORTY-FOUR messages to find one you posted this morning!!! Anyway, you were talking about having found only two TSBs for your 2001 Protege on Edmunds. Well, maybe Edmunds picks and chooses which ones it wants to publish ... because while there aren't that many (no more than 10 or so), there ARE more. For the REAL scoop on TSBs, check on NHTSA's site at www.nhtsa.gov, go to "Problems and Issues," and enter the appropriate info for your car. You can also search for recalls, government defect investigations and (my favorite) customer complaints on any car.

Have fun!

Meade
    (My exhaust.)

;-)

Meade
    I can tell where your finger's pointing!!!

(And I hoped you washed it after playing in the commode!)

:-o

Meade

P.S. I don't think it was "big brakes vs. small ones." I think it was disc brakes vs. drum brakes. I forgot ... which is better?

OHHHHH NOOOOOO!!!!!!!
    Someone needs to get their facts straight. The GTI comes with the famed 1.8T engine standard. It has 180hp and can be chipped up to 210hp very easily. I have stomped many a Civic who thought they could handle my 1.8T Tiptronic automatic Jetta. Don't be fooled just because it has 4 doors. :)
    Why are we discussing Civics and Jettas here? THIS IS THE MAZDA PROTEGE TOPIC!!!

Paul, I thought we agreed to keep our car conversations in their respective topics ... ?

Meade
    But it was okay to post the Flash that everyone was laughing at, even though it was a VW flash, right?? :)
    I just thought of something that might help you with your Coke stain. They have that stuff called Oxy-Clean. That takes anything, and I mean anything, out. You could try some of that. You get power form, dilute it with water, soak the atain, scrub, and let sit. You can get it at Wal-Mart or something like that. It's like $6 or something, I think. Good luck.
    I wasn't going to start whining, but if you're going to make an issue out of this, OK, here goes:

PAT, PLEASE COME IN HERE AND EXPLAIN TO THE APPROPRIATE INDIVIDUALS THAT THIS TOPIC IS ENTITLED "MAZDA PROTEGE." DISCUSSIONS RELATING TO HONDA CIVICS AND VOLKSWAGEN JETTAS ARE WELCOME IN THEIR APPROPRIATE TOPICS.

There, you OK now? I'm not just pointing my host-wannabe finger at you now.

Meade
    Well meade the '01 ES has LARGER brakes as well.

Ok, what's one more kick to a dead horse anyway.
    Yah, Vocus is right. The Golf GTi would smoke a PRo or Civic. In the actual link, you can click on the aftermarket mods that each car has. They are on the "specifications" tab on the left. It's not really comparable cause the VW GTi has a NOS system and the best the Civic has is a couple of catbacks.

Anyway, i posted it just to make some folks laugh. Not to start a comparison ad nauseum again...
    Not the dreaded rear drum vs. rear disc argument.....arrrgggggghhhhhh......
    Obviously it has bigger brakes -- it's got bigger wheels! To quote a fellow town hall member's username ...

"DUH!"

Meade
    At least the brake discussion is about the CAR that this topic was created for.

But don't worry. That really was my last "kick" on this dead horse. My car stops fine -- drums, non-ABS and smaller discs notwithstanding.

Meade
    So i guess size does matter?? :)
    It's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean ...

Meade
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Are you saying that synthetic GL5 is non-corrosive? I put valvoline synpower GL5 in my gearbox at about 4000 miles to help cold weather shifting and now I'm worried that I have created irreversable damage. If some GL5s are corrosive, would there be anything on the bottle that would tell you so?
    C'mon, this discussion has been going fine...

I post here cause i think the Protege is such an outstanding package of performance. I truly feel that no other car in this class price range can offer the overall performance value of the Pro. Some may be marginally quicker, but none can offer the pep and absolutely dynamic handling at this price. I drive a WRX most days and I would never compare it to the Pro cause that just ain't fair. That said, i love driving my wife's Pro, although she hates it cause I rev the hell out of it and throw it around like i do the REX. The handling is almost comparable and that speaks volumes!! Just wish it had a little more umph. Then again, it has plenty when matching against it's direct competition.

As a side note, if my wife and i had to choose another car in the 2000 model year when we were looking, it would have been the Elantra.... Despite Hyundai's rep (I expect to get flamed here...) they have come along way and the Elantra was far more dynamic than most of the competition.

For the 2000 model year

1. Mazda Protege (with the 1.8L, i hate the gearing and power band on the 2.0L)

2. Hyundai Elantra

3. Honda Civic

4. Ford Focus ZX3 ( would place it ahead of the Civic for performance, but this car's quality is abominable)

5. Nissan Sentra

6. Toyota Corolla

Won't consider any car ever built by Gm or Chrysler although i have test driven them...

We like performance. Hence the crappy rating for the Corolla.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    This probably isn't the right forum, but I've got a question for you...My friend got a Sube Impreza TS. He let me take a drive in it, and I found the clutch to be very strange compared to the Pro's. With the Pro clutch, I can gently ease up on the clutch. With the Impreza, it felt mechanical, and instead of being let out gently, it sprang back out. Just curious if your WRX and Pro are like that?

Please don't strike me (or my post) down hosts! :)
    Couldn't understand a while back when someone wrote about the Protege's brakes being hard to modulate and not very good.

Our 2000 ES stops on a dime and we don't have ABS cause I hate it and so does the wife. We purposely opted from this option.

Test drove the P5 and the new sedans and the brakes are even better. really, really sensitive and they stop the car quick. Damn ABS though... :)
    I purposely chose ABS because of the crappy conditions we get in the winter. Why do you hate them so much Tim? I've found them to be a great advantage this winter.
    The clutch on my wife's 2000 Pro is fantastic. It's very light, super easy to modulate and very sensitive. However, the actual shift and gear engagement does not match the clutch engagement. It's still a very good shifter, better than most, but i was used to driving Honda's with the short throw. The Honda shifter and gear engagement is still unparalled in this class of car. It takes a little getting used to the Pro. Once you do, she shifts great although between 1st and second is a little notchy.

I drove the TS and didn't care for the clutch/shift set-up much. The WRX seems a little more aligned to me, but I'm not aware of any actual specification difference between the two. I would assum the flywheel and clutchÿ
    I had both a 1999 Protege DX and a 2001 Protege ES (with the bigger brakes and 4-wheel discs). I thought the ES model stopped alot better than the DX did. Maybe it also had something to do with the tire and wheel size as well. But the ES definitely did stop alot shorter, and the brakes felt alot stronger.
    The clutch on my wife's 2000 Pro is fantastic. It's very light, super easy to modulate and very sensitive. However, the actual shift and gear engagement does not match the clutch engagement. It's still a very good shifter, better than most, but i was used to driving Honda's with the short throw. The Honda shifter and gear engagement is still unparalled in this class of car. It takes a little getting used to the Pro. Once you do, she shifts great although between 1st and second is a little notchy.

I drove the TS and didn't care for the clutch/shift set-up much. The WRX seems a little more aligned to me, but I'm not aware of any actual specification difference between the two. I would assume the flywheel and clutch plates are different. All that said, the WRX is a little better than average. Let's call it adequate. It too, takes a bit of getting used too.

The REX is sometimes awkward getting to reverse and you need to double clutch. It's notchier than the Pro, but this tends to go away when you shift at a higher RPM. It's almost as if the car is telling you not to shift before 4000rpm cause it just doesn't like it. It feels fine over that mark and shifts much smoother. The REX is simply not refined enough in almost every aspect to use as a commuter car. It is really unbridled performance without the frills.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks Tim. I'm really used to my Pro's clutch, so that's why I was so surprised when I drove the TS. The clutch wanted to just pop back out, making it hard to work the clutch.
    Yes, the Pro clutch really is a pleasure. Nice and light compared to the Subaru. Even the WRX.

To answer your other question regarding ABS. I fully admit that ABS is great in wet weather particularly and helps a little on snow.

I just don't care for it because i feel less in control of the car with ABS. There are times, and hopefully you never encounter them, when locking the brakes and maneuvering can actually help you. I think it has to do with the fact both the wife and i used to Rally a little. It's a control thing... I still want to use my hand brake when taking tight corners!!!! i have to stop myself sometimes although I've done it once or twice with the WRX.

My wife is British and i spent 3 years over there. Her Dad runs the "circuit rally" portion of Silverstone and used to be one of the U.K.'s best rally drivers back in the 60's through to the 80's. Cause of him, we got the opportunity and the bug....

I would recommend ABS for anyone wanting safety in their vehicles...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Is this like in school when the teacher didn't show up and the whole class would go out of control? ;->

I think I've just read five zillion messages since yesterday.

Now, we need to talk for a few minutes. There are some things happening in here which shouldn't be. There is a language problem in a joke a million posts ago - profanity is off-limits, period, and everyone surely knows that?

Then there is a sudden proliferation of sexual innuendoes - that behavior also is not appropriate in the Town Hall.

And finally, some of you must have known this part was coming - the video link, while very, very funny, is using that dreaded term which - because of its highly offensive ethnic origin - is also off-limits in the Town Hall.

I know that many of you have heard these things before. And I see that we have some new posters who perhaps are not as familiar with these rules. You long-time regulars can help us all out when you see something that you know doesn't belong here by politely pointing it out to the poster - that way the person has a chance to take care of it without me coming along with my big stick.

In terms of topic-drift, that will certainly happen from time to time. I think that some of us could lighten up a bit and not respond to posts we don't care about, and I think that others of us could be more sensitive to the topical environment and make an effort to keep an off-topic subject from overtaking the discussion. I've said this before - is this something some of you are not understanding? If that's the case, please let me know.

The real way to get a discussion back on track is to make topical posts - those of you who want the discussion refocused could try that instead of responding to the off-topic posts.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not "yelling" - I understand that just about everyone in here today has had a great time, but ze rulez eez ze rulez no matter how you or I feel about them.

Thanks for your understanding - feel free to drop me an email with any questions or concerns.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    I reallly don't like abs. I'm sure in panic situations that it can be a real safety advantage but I agree with gandalf that I think there are times I want to lock my tires. I don't race or anything, but from my experience I've been left in the middle of a snowy intersection too many times with abs breaks whereas I seem to be able to stop the cars I drive without abs. I just don't like to give up too much control to my car, another reason why I prefer 5 speeds.
    Thanks again Tim. If I'd had more money, I would have been over in the WRX forum. But I really do love the Pro. I've also been tempted to pull the E-brake on a few occassions, but I've been able to restrain myself so far! Hehehe
    From what I've read, the synthetics aren't corrosive.

According to Valvoline, their SynPower is no exception:

"Protects parts from rust and corrosion"

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?Product=58

• dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    40+ posts in what 4-5 hrs? Do you people work actually work at... well...work?

Tim: Went to Sol Club Cayo de Guilermo in Dec. 2000 with a few friends. We too had a great time.

About the CD: I will make you a copy of it. Problem is, I have exams, tests, papers due until the end of March (then 1 month of teaching) and while I post here 2-3 times/day, I go to school F/T, work 22 hrs/week P/T and have to write those essays.

What I'm trying to say is this: Between May 6 and May 10 you will have your CD, ready for summer. Promise. I do have a burner, but I need to connect my CD-ROM drive to the burner to duplicate discs. That won't be done till I'm finished with ALL my school stuff. So have no worries, the Cuban CD will be playing in the WRX by early May.

So your wife's dad used to rally race and you too? Did I tell you how much of a rally and F1 freak I am. Yeah freak, it's (sadly) well beyond being classified as a "fan" :) But that's a good thing.

What's your call for Corsica? I'll take Makkinen, although I have a thing for the 206s.

Dinu
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Whew! That takes a load off my back. I have been worried about this for a while. I don't work at J-lube anymore so I don't have easy access to facilities that would allow me to change the gear lube out. Thanks!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Um, if you think I didn't mean what I said about not using "that word" in the Town Hall, guess again.

And don't try to talk to me about dinner! ;-)

Just move on, folks, please.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    No worries. I understand completely. If Pat the Host hasn't booted my butt out of here by then, we'll chat again in May. :)

I was working from home today and had a little extra time, hence the extra posts.

Yes, the wife's father was one of the best. His name is John Taylor. Had a long affiliation with Ford for many years and recently with Silverstone. He'll be retiring soon. I drove a little rally, had a great teacher. By no means am I or my wife professional rally drivers....those guys and gals are incredible. Take Tommy Makkinen for a fiver. Oh no... I hope innuendoes regarding gambling aren't taboo as well. Bad, bad impolitic poster I am. :)

Cayo Guillermo is nice. Took a day trip to Pilar Beach to go snorkelling. Unbelievable.

To Pat,

As for the term "R*** (Multi-grain) Rocket", I hope you are aware that it has it's origins in street racing and performance car lingo. It is no more racist than referring to a Volvo as an "Ikea injected" vehicle, or a Lada as a "Vodka Varoomer". Or a Canadian made vehicle as a "Beer Boomer". Or an American SUV as a "Hefty Hamburger Helper".

The term is accepted automotive lingo and can be found in newspaper reviews, and auto enthusiast mags. I would beg that Edmonds not take itself so seriosuly. Much the same as you caution some of the posters not to do the same. There is a horrific double standard of political correctness applied to some terms and the multi-grain rocket happens to be one of them.

Your point regarding language is taken and i will be more dilligent moving forward. However, since most of the posters here "seem" to be adults, I would expect them to say something if they were offended. AS for innuendo, it is exactly that. Innuendo....
    we could have been discussing anything. You shouldn't have such a dirty mind. :)

Sincerely,

P.S.- You are right, people had a great time today. What does that tell you and Edmonds?
    Wasted breath Tim.
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    for a minute here I am glad the Canadians won the hockey gold medal.

I wish I was German so I could pretend to be offended and fire off a letter to TH management. Durn gene pool + geographic origin + luck of the draw...
    I know it's probably wasted. Bureaucracy rarely has the power of independent thought.

However, i'm still going to point out the total absurdity and twisted double standard behind that term. It is asinine. I am allowed to say that, right?
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    makes you think that the US Constitution is a waste of paper now...