Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    First, my symaphies to Dale as well. Despite the situation being hilarious, I'm sure it wasn't an enjoyable thing to endure. But hey, at least you have a great story to share!!
    Rbrooks,

Not sure if the cruise control is the same on your car 2002 as it is in the 2000. If they are, maybe this will help.

In order to turn the cruise control on, you have to push the button in, that is located at the end of the cruise contol knob. With this now pressed in, the cruise control system is engagaged, but not yet "set". Once you reach your desired speed, i believe you have to click the knob and shaft downwards to set the speed. The cruise control should then engage immediately and a little green light will show on the dash controls that it is set. Have you tried that?

If you then manage to set the desired speed, but have to brake, the system will remember the setting, but disengage the actual cruise control. You would then need to push the knob upwards for the car to resume it's previously set speed. In order to disengage and turn it off, you would need to push the button again at the end of the cruise control knob.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    >>>Nick, I got a couple of questions for you. My local B.J.'s Whole Sale Club is offering a $7.50 per tire discount on the BF Goodrich All-Season Touring T/A VR4 in stock. They are listed regular price of $73.99, not to bad.

*My out the door price:
    $73.99 per tire
    -$7.50 discount
    -----
    $66.49 x %6.0 PA sales tax= $70.48
    ------
    $70.48 and $10.55 total install fee (mount, balance, new stems, and disposal of old tire)=$81.03

*$81.03 total per tire<<<<

Excellent price...i paid $73.99 + 9.99 wheel deal + 6% tax....wish I had waited 3 months ;)

Ok, B.J.'s only carry this tire in the 205/55-15 size.

1.)How do your 205/55-15's tires fit?
    Perfect fit

2.)How do the 205/55-15's tires look?
    Check out the pictures link in Yahoo groups.
    The look awesome, especially from the rear...FAT, PHAT....

3.)How did it fit on the OEM alloy wheel (rim fitment)?
    Perfect. if u read the Tire fitment Handbook that u can find at the BJ's store, Michelin/BFG recommends this tires as "Plus 0" size for our car.

4.)Any issue's with tire clearance in sharp turns or bouncing roads?
    None whatsoever.

5.)What are your impressions of the 205/55/15 V-rated(BFG Touring T/A V4) tires, you purchased?
    Overall good tires.
    Reduced vibrations and noise on rough roads.
    cuts through water puddles cleanly...used to feel a huge drag on the RE-92.
    I maintain a 30 PSI pressure and the car now feels like a econo-luxo-sedan, especially in the passenger seat since u no longer feel the sharp bumps that make ur teeth grind.(I can now compare the ride,make that bump, quality with my friends Honda Accord 2001 EXV6.)

6.)Nick, any comments or tips would really be appreciated!
    I have found that I can spin the tires If I lead foot at stop signs on wet roads....and also if I have to execute an immediate takeoff from a traffic signal into a left/right turn.

I never hydroplaned with the RE-92 poortenzas....nor with these.....never got the chance....always drove (still drive) carefully in wet, especially on descending ramps....maybe I don't have the courage to test tires at my expense ;) since common sense tells me that any vehicle is prone to slip&slide when u speed & brake aggresively while descending on ramps / bridges.

Best of luck!!
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    no worries...laugh away.

That's what I'm here for...to provide a constant source of amusement, since I'm not a gearhead :)
  • duh_sterduh_ster Member Posts: 102
    look at the bright side...at least the windshield didn't leak!

rbrooks: i've got a 2001, which uses the cruise control stick vs the buttons in the 2002. however, whenever i set my cruise control, i just flick the stick and it sets...no need to hold it in for a couple seconds...hope everything works out!

'duh'
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I have the 5-speed, so I'm not sure on how the Pro's cruise works. However, I know that in my dad's '91 MPV, you had to press the "cruise control" power button, then get to the desired speed, and then push the "set" button in for a second or two...not just click it.

For anybody who has the cruise control working, how is it? I know in the old MPV, it was terrible on hills, as it would lose 10 km/h before trying to get back up to the "set" speed.
    Ahhhhhh, i wasn't aware that the 2002's have the dreaded "Ford-like" buttons on the steering wheel set-up.... I hate the way Ford does that and how the Tribute inherited them. The cruise control stick configuration is great.

Rbrooks,

Doesn't look like my comments will help you much. sorry....
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Does the word CRUISE appear on your instrument panel when you press the power-on button?

I usually hold the Set button a second or two 'til it engages. Maybe you are pressing the Decelerate button?

You have to be above 40mph to use the cruise control.

fowler3
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    I have a 2002 pro. I just turn on the main power button, then push the set button. Used it this morning, and don't recall having to hold the button down to get it to work. I will try it at lunch and see what I get.
    but on some long trips where we have, the cruise control works great. both uphills and down.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Drain plug: as best as I can tell the 1.6 and 1.8 have a drain plug on the Trans pan. Your best bet is to get under there and look. If not, you remove all the bolts to drain the fluid...messy.

Bearings: They are all sealed; no need to re-pack.
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    If you have a 5 speed and you are using your cruise control don't slip it out of gear. The cruise doesn't detect that it's out of gear and brings up the throttle.

(I was experimenting last night)
  • duh_sterduh_ster Member Posts: 102
    tim: yea, the cruise control in the '02 is button type now. i think they wanted the steering column to look less cluttered, since mazda has now made the 3 spoke "racing" wheel standard in all '02 pros. personally, i like the stick vs the buttons also...IMO, it's more intuitive to use!

mike: u can get cruise control with the 5 spd (like mine). it works fine on the pro...speed control is kept fairly constant on hills. a lot better than my bro-in-laws '96 civic (which did the same thing as your dad's MPV)

'duh'
    Then I wonder if it's an ES vs. LX difference. There was no mention to me of optional cruise control. However, I still don't think I would have taken it...I was (am) on a limited budget and that would have put me up more money than I had.
    Cruise was standard on the 2000 LX which is the ES for that year here in Canada. I didn't actually want it as a feature, but didn't have the choice.

Back in 2000, you had the LX (ES) Protege, the SE Pro and the DX Pro. They changed that from 2001 forward.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    I pulled the trigger on 2 sets BF Goodrich All-Season Touring T/A VR4 tires. My OUT-THE-DOOR price for the tires, lifetime rotations, flat repairs, new valve stems, environ & disposal taxs/fees, mount and balance, yada yada was $324.12 per set of 4. I got both sets installed this morning. BJ's Club was a better deal than TireRack, National chains or the local yocals could do for a V-rated all-season performance tire. Meade, thanks for helping keep my sense of humor during my search and Nick, your "real life" history with the 205-55vrs size tire gave me the confidence to finally pull the trigger on the BF Goodrich tires.

-Larry
    I've the '01 LX 2.0...there was the SE below and the ES above my model.
    yes, that's right. From 2001 they have aligned the models like the US. Could never understand why we had the LX and the US called it the ES. Now, they are the same although i do believe some of the standard features in the models vary between Canada and the US.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    After all that -- Goodrich T/As? What made you decide on them?

Meade
    Price was important, also. The 205/50HR15 Dunlop SP Sport A2 from TireRack would have cost me, installed $897.46 for 8 tires. The 8 BF Goodrich All-Season Touring T/A VR4 tires cost me $648.24 Out the Door! A difference of $249.22. BTW, Consumer Reports Ranks the BF Goodrich Touring All-Season above ANY Dunlop Tire? Nonetheless, If money was equal, I would have ordered the 205/50HR15 Dunlop SP Sport A2's from TireRack, because I do believe they are a tad better. Again Meade, a sincere thank you for sharing your opinions and tire buying experience with me. $249.22 is a fair amount of cash.

-Love Train
    That is a chunk of change. But keep in mind that your tires have a lower treadwear rating -- you'll probably be buying tires again before I do -- and your tires didn't come with any treadlife warranty. Mine came with a 50,000-mile treadlife warranty.

I'm just a little biased against the Goodrich Touring T/As because my dealer recommended I stay away from them because they wear down and get noisy too quickly. I trusted that recommendation since that was the ONLY tire in that size that he carried, so it was either those or I wasn't his customer. Anyone who would send me away instead of trying to sell me something that he considers substandard, I trust. I read comments in TireRack's customer reviews about your tires wearing out fast too. So what you save now may cause you to spend more later.

One other thing. I'd be real surprised if the Dunlop SP Sport A2s were in that review in Consumer Reports. They've only been on the market a few months.

I can't wait to see the tires at MAPP3 this spring! I see us changing from a "Show off your Protege" event to a "Show off your new set of tires" event as we see our Proteges age! It'll be interesting to do a side-by-side comparo.

Meade
    Took my wife's Pro in for the 40,000km scheduled service at Morningside Mazda. The 40,000 is essentially just an oil and filter change, lubrication and visual inspection and mechanic test drive. I always bring my own Castrol 5W-50 synthetic oil and ask to see the car once she's hoisted since i don't get the chance to check it out myself very often.

Anyway, the good news is that the car is running like a top. Not a spec of rust anywhere on the underbody or elsewere. Engine is running wonderful. The mechanic did comment though that it looks like someone enjoys taking corners really hard....judging by the way the tire treads were worn predominantly on the outside. He initially thought maybe the alignment or tire pressure was way off, which they aren't. I chuckled as my wife likes to throw the car around almost as much as i do. I blamed her. :)

The dealership was great also. Friendly, courteous et all. In addition, they even replaced the round, top portion of the shifter knob under warranty. By accident, I had once penetrated and scratched the shiny coating with one of my University rings. Once the layer was broken, it just started to gradually peel off. It's almost like a Teflon coating. Anyway, they certainly didn't have to replace it under warranty, but they never made an issue out of it.

So, to sum it up, 40,000km of entirely trouble free Zoom Zooming. Body integrity and engine performance still excellent. Great Little Car. Punn intended.

As a side note, if you live in Toronto, think twice before you visit Gyros Mazda. I have a friend who purchased a new P5 last year from Gyros Mazda and another who purchased a 2001 ES sedan. They didn't have a problem with the sales experience, but I do not recommend anyone take their Mazda back to this dealership for service. The P5 had a power window problem where the driver's window came off track and wouldn't wind down or up. The folks at Gyros Mazda argued with my friend that this wasn't covered under warranty. They eventually fixed it and covered it under warranty, but not before causing a huge hassle, plenty of stress and making her feel about 2 ft tall in a very condescending manner.

My other friend with the auto ES sedan had misaligned brakes and they would squeal slightly whenever he had it in reverse. The dealer again tried to claim this was a wear and tear issue....eventually, they fixed this also, but had to do it twice to fix the problem. First time round they made the squealing worse.
    One other thing. I'd be real surprised if the Dunlop SP Sport A2s were in that review in Consumer Reports. They've only been on the market a few months.
    by Meadeball

"...Consumer Reports Ranks the BF Goodrich Touring All-Season above ANY Dunlop Tire?"
    by proxtwo

True, CR did not list the Dunlop SP Sport A2s.

-old head
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    OK, tried out the cruise again on my 02 pro. I didn't have to hold the set button down at all in order to get it to work. Just a quick click. Hope that helps.
  • rbrooks3rbrooks3 Member Posts: 174
    You didn't mention what year your Pro was. Now that I've read the manual section on the cruise control several times, I can tell you that the '02 diengages the system if you go below 30mph, hit the brakes, turn it off or depress the clutch. Maybe you didn't depress the clutch far enough to disengage the system. These things aren't new. My old '83 RX-7 was a 5 spd and the cruise control turned off as soon as you depressed the clutch about 2".

dsm6- thanks for the info. I'll hold mine down for a few seconds on the way home tonight , but thanks to your test, I have a feeling that what you say means I'll be keeping my Thursday morning appointment. I can say the dealer was good so far. they said to come on in Thursday at 7:30 am and they'd have a loaner for me. Hopefully it goes as smoothly.
    ... is that even though it disengages below 25 mph, it still remembers the setting as long as you don't (a) turn off the cruise main, or (b) turn off the ignition. This is great if you're on a state highway and come to a stoplight, but then you're right back to highway speeds for a few dozen miles until you roll into the next small town.

(Some cars -- like my old Saab 900 -- completely erase your cruise setting after you slow below 25 or 30, and you have to reset it again after you speed up.)

Meade

P.S. Yes, I use my cruise control a LOT. Probably because I went five years without it when I had my B2300 pickup! I probably use it in places where I shouldn't -- like on neighborhood roads and busy county streets. I even use it in expressway traffic sometimes! I admit it -- I'm a cruise ADDICT.
    I agree, the cruise control on the 2000 Pro's are among the best I've ever used and or felt. Very smooth and very user friendly.
    >>>and your tires didn't come with any treadlife warranty. Mine came with a 50,000-mile treadlife warranty.<<<<

Any tires that are purchased from BJ's wholesale are guaranteed for the treadlife. That is a deal that is set up between BJ's and Michelin/BFG/Uniroyal.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Good lord, BJs is a Wholesale club here in the States. Are you from Canada, I presume?

They have everything from groceries to patio furniture to tires to bathroom cleaner in their stores. The only catch is everything is like super sized, so it's cheaper but it's larger (everything but tires, of course). :0
    Berkerly & Jensens

www.bjs.com
    Paul ... Not everyone has BJs Clubs. I've heard of them, but we don't have them down here in Richmond. We have Costco and Sam's Club. So don't bite people's heads off so quickly! OK? For instance, I bet you've never heard of the supermarket chain that dominates Richmond. It's been rated No. 2 in the country for customer service. So everyone's heard of Ukrop's, right?

Chikoo ... The tire treadlife warranty is done by the manufacturer and honored by the retailer ... UNLESS, of course, the manufacturer does not place a treadlife warranty on the tire! And guess what? BFG does place treadlife warranties on many of its tires, but as is the case with many manufacturers' V-rated and higher high-performance tires, your V-rated Touring T/A tires do not carry a treadlife warranty. Check into it -- many manufacturers, BFG included, do not put treadlife warranties on their V, W and Z-rated tires because of their intended uses such as racing, autocrossing, etc.

Meade
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Oh no, I am sorry. I was just kidding. I didn't mean to sound nasty or anything like that. Sorry, Tim, if I offended you.

We have Costco and Sam's club here as well. BJs is the same thing as those two stores, well the same philosophy anyway.
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    I hope it doesn't disengage under 30 because I use it at or around 30 all the time to avoide the dreaded backroad speed trap. (chuckle) Actually I didn't disengage the clutch at all I just slipped it out of gear. (I wasn't going very fast) Because I wasn't applything the breaks or anything the CC simply started to wind the engine up to increase the speed. Of course it was ineffective so I'm sure after a while it would have disngaged but I didn't want to take a chance.

2002 Protege5
    Just came back from BFGoodrich's web site. No treadlife mileage warranty on the Touring T/A. There are mileage warranties on some of their other tires (and they're listed), but the Touring T/A isn't one of them.

(Please don't confuse the mileage warranty with a tread uniformity warranty that covers you pro-rata by tread depth left on the tire. They're two different things.)

Meade
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    We're looking for any woman who has recently bought or driven a hybrid car.

If you fit this description and care to share your input on the subject, please contact Kristen Gerencher at kgerencher@marketwatch.com or Jeannine Fallon at jfallon@edmunds.com by noon EST Tuesday, March 19.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    2 hubcaps? You must have had a lot to drink last nite :) Gotta love St. Pat's Day! Nevertheless, I think I can get THAT Cuban CD to you sooner, since I can always burn it from my cousin. About Gyro, I tried to get it from there, but ended-up getting it at North Toronto for $504/mth with $0 down for 48mths. ES with spoiler, A/C and Auto as options, equipped with the Bridgestones Skidpenzas (how do you like this one Meade?). I work at 401/McCowan (the TELUS building on Consilium Place), so if you're in the area (you mentioned Morningside), we can arrange something for the first week of April. How's that? BTW, Morningside would not bulge under $534/mth (same terms), so I'm not a fan. I find the svc. at Scarboro Mazda to be excellent and really competitive (read cheap and the do a great job!).

Dale: That was funny! Well...not to you of course. I can just try to picture it. Sorry, I'll stop now.

Dinu
    When getting out of our Byway (no, not a driveway, not a street/road/crescent/circle either, just a little passage, hence the name "Byway") - think Britney Spears (can't sing too well, but can lip sync a little) - I needed to merge with traffic fairly quickly. Surprisingly (NOT!) the Skidpenzas rolled over a little (think mini-burnout) and then got going. This is on roads that were dry, although there was a little drizzle during the day. I have a feeling I'll end up buying 2 sets of winter tires this fall (one for the PRO - my mom absolutely NEEDS them; one for the new car).

Dinu
    BF Goodies 205/55/15's, replacements for the 2000 PRO-ES OEM Bridgestone 195/55/15's. Smooth settled ride. No noticeable loss in handling, however rainy weather today, precluded true twisty work out. Very impressive wet weather handling, no tire slip on take-off (Auto Tranny). These BF Goodies are by far, BY FAR the quitest tires, I have ever owned. The 205-55R tire looks great and does a better job of filling in the wheel well compartment. This gives my 2000 PRO-ES a more complete look, kinda like it is shod with 16 in. Alloy wheels. First impressions: Verrry cool!

-Larry
    Got a little German in you? So would you suggest your tires also for snow? Would you say I can do with the Goodrich on dry, wet AND SNOW?

Dinu
    What's up with the Canadian flag?
    Chances are,....I will have to wait until at least December 2002 to give you a live report. Nonetheless, Consumer Reports gave them their highest rating for snow traction. On-the-other hand, TireRack was not as confident, in the BF Goodie TA's snow capabilities? TireRack's Customer Survey Data only rated the Goodie TA's 5.6 for snow traction (which is still "good", in their on-line rating survey) Dinu, I selected a very good tire, at a price point I could afford. Geeze, I needed to re-tire both my 2000 PRO-ES's at the same time with about 4/32nds left on the OEM Bridgestones (36,500 miles). Trust me, $324.12 out the door IS an excellent price for a set of top box, name brand, V speed rated, all-season tires! BTW, BJ's Wholesale Clubs Tire Service Center does give you a pro-rated 55,000-mile tread life warranty on the BF Goodies. Included in that $324.12 price is free life time tire rotations and free fixable tire repairs.

-Old Head
    Dinu's from Toronto...which as far as I know is still part of Canada :P
    Wait a sec....are your tires all-season? No way they'd do too good up here for Canadian winters, sorry to say. You need true winter or better yet studded tires up here...sorry all you Ontario-people can't use studded, I know.
    (My apologies to Larry in advance)

If you don't mind spending about $10 more per tire, look at the Dunlop SP Sport A2s. TireRack rated them a 7.5 (excellent) for snow, and they got higher marks than the Goodrichs in every category. I have them on my car and I absolutely love 'em.

Meade
    Toronto is in Canadia? When I was in school, they taught us it was a suburb of Detroit!

Dang, I need to find my globe...
    Is this turning into "Tire Wars: The Meade -vs- Larry Trilogy"? I'll check back with you guys in Sept or so when I'll have to seriously start considering what the PRO and the _____ will be wearing for winter. I would prefer 2 sets of tires for each car (all season + snow), but that would be way too much $. I don't see the Skidpenzas on the PRO at this time next year, even for dry roads. The thread will go. So my only choice is a set of good all-seasons on the PRO and a "let's see and wait" attitude (for now) on what condition the new car's tires will be.

Dale: What's wrong with the Canadian flag? I live in Canada as far as I know. Now if everyone was to change their flags to reflect their background, I would switch it back. In the meantime, this is it. Say Dale, did your PRO's interior dry up yet? :)

Dinu
    Really, they are just tires.

-love train
  • rbrooks3rbrooks3 Member Posts: 174
    Well, it definitely does not work, so I'll be keeping my Thursday appointment. The down side is it has to go in to the dealer, the good news is now I get to wait and see what I get as a loaner. Probably an MP3 or '02 Miata!

I figure they OWE me, last time they gave me a Pontiac Sunfire for 4 days! Seriously, I am curious to see what they give out. Most up market companies will make a point of trying to give the customer a loaner that is one car level up from their own, so I wonder what Mazda will do under their new "loaner guarantee" program. It's a nice way to show the customer what spending a little more in the showroom will get them...., but I'm still thinking Pontiac Sunfire or Grand Am. My Mazda Dealer also owns a Chevy dealership right next door.....hey, maybe they'll give me as SS Camaro or vette!
    Dinu: Seriously, I'm not trying to start anything :) The Canadian flag is very pretty.

Ron...or a Cavalier :)