Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Recalls and TSBs

Comments

• snubsnub Member Posts: 4
    I have a SE 4 door (ZX4) and have just come across this similar problem today, last night my car was fine, this morning, I couldnt get the key in the ignition, I "co-erced" it in a bit, and got it in, though sticky/tricky, and the thing is locked up, steering and all.
    I had no warning about this prior that something was fatiguing or wearing down. I called the dealer and they said this happens a bit with all foci, "however",the rep said, "at this time it is not considered a recall?"... Crap!. they estimated about $300 inc labour for the fix to the "tumblers" I think it is?
    Well, alternative to taking the car to the Dealer to get fixed, I called in a Locksmith here in town (Edmonton, Alberta). They fixed the problem by drilling out the old and re-installing a replacement(after about 2 hours of work) for $200 CDN, PLus they guarantee their work and are with the BBB (Dial Locksmiths of Edmonton). New Key was not needed. They say they do 2-3 foci a week with the same problem. Better prices than the dealer and no tow fees!. I wouldnt pay ford to do it anyway!...As soon as I find out whom to write to, I'll be writing a letter to Ford.

BTW, my car is a 2000/yr model and has 65000 K's
    This is my letter to ford...

Yesterday, My vehicles ignition locked up without warning. The Dealership quoted me $300 for repair and that "they see this mechanical failure happen with the FOCUS alot, yet, it is not a recall item or TSB". I have researched this complaint and have come across a multitude of similar or exactly the same complaints all over North America. "Forums Galore" to coin a pun.

I spoke with several dealers and locksmiths which led me to conclude that the failed cylinders resulted from a substandard manufactured cylinder which rapidly deteriorates with use and eventually fractures and jams.

Ford apparantly is well aware that these fragile cylinders are made of substandard materials and are breaking and jamming at an alarming rate.

I Had no option but to get this fixed (by a locksmith, smaller estimate cost than Dealership, whom does 3-4 of the same fixes p/week on focus/s). I do not believe this is a cost that should be absorbed by the consumer, as I have also found out that MANY owners have had to have the repair done more than once, sometimes at the dealer and sometimes with a Locksmith. The cost for my repair was $197 + GST. I would expect Ford to re-imburse me for this amount upon submission of reciept. Please forward me the correct address to whom I may send the Bill.

I have tolerated the MANY numerous recalls and defects regarding the FOCUS's quality and safety control issues,including having to replace the over-sensitive airbags, windshield in a 5 KM hit, however, this most recent incident, if not attended to By Ford in a Forthcoming manner, will be the one that forces me to cease purchasing Ford Product in the future (I have been a loyal ford customer for close to 20 years).

Regards

Simon R Jones
    Edmonton, Alberta
    PLease ensure that if you have had this ignition problem at all, go to the following link and sign the petition for Ford to do something about it!

Ford Ignition Petition
  • destrianadestriana Member Posts: 8
    I also have been having rear brake squealling noises. Started @ 33,000 miles now have 43,000 miles. It has been at the dealership 3 times for replacement of brake parts, pads, etc. Was told there is a TSB out on this issue. Just left the dealer approximately 2 weeks ago and the braking squealling is back again. The dealer told me it might come back again...Don't know what to do, still owe another 2 years on it. Any ideas of how to fix the brake issue?
    Have been having this problem since 33,000 miles. Now have 43,000 miles. Have had it in the dealership 3 times and had the brakes pads, shoes all upgraded with the TSB from Ford. The last visit they even attached some kind of magnets to the brake area and told me that the squealling may come back and it did. Soooo sick of it and it is very annoying coming to a stop to hear that noise. Still owe on this car, any advice on how to fix this problem? Thank You
  • maepmaep Member Posts: 2
    I started having problems with my ignition sticking and not being able to turn the key a few months ago. On May 31st I parked my car at my daughters house and tried for a whole day to get the key to turn and it wouldn't. I called 2 different Ford Dealers in Edmonton, 1 where I bought it and another closer to where the car was. Where I bought the car I was quoted $300-500 for the repair (plus towing it there would have probably cost another $150). The closer dealer quoted me $400-700. This particular dealer's service department was very rude to me when I asked them how come the price difference and if they would arrange the towing to which they said no. They would not give me a timeline to when the car would be fixed! I was also moving and my boss came out to help move my things into my new residence and said he would go home and research the problem on the internet. He called me later that evening and said that a woman from Edmonton had called Dial Locksmith to fix her car and it cost $200! So I called them the next morning and they quoted approximately $200-300. Early afternoon I met them at my car and the very qualified and pleasant technician proceeded to drill out my ignition and only charged me $175.00!!! I would totally recommend them to anyone in the Edmonton Area as they are quick and you save the towing charges and hassle with Ford. I also will be looking into where to send a letter to Ford with my complaint. They must get 1000's of them!!
  • ja_nortonja_norton Member Posts: 1
    I experienced this problem 2 months after purchasing a used Focus. The first time it happened, the 1st locksmith contacted by AAA refused to help me citing ignition problems were extremely common in the Focus and they could not help me. They recommended having it towed directly to the dealer. Fortunately, a 2nd locksmith was contacted and he was able to get the key to turn by spraying WD-40 into the ignition, putting the key in the ignition and tapping the top end of the key with the handle of a screwdriver. I've used this technique for the past 6 months and have a can of WD-40 in my car at all times. The problem has progressed to the point where I have to pound the crap out of the key in the ignition about 20-30 times before I can get it to turn. I was using my hand until it started bruising, now I'm using the manual that came with the car. I'll have to get it fixed very soon, but hopefully this technique will help someone in a jam!
  • haataahaataa Member Posts: 2
    :cry: When I tell people that I have a Ford Focus ZX4 SE, I feel proud... up until today. My key is stuck in the ignition... I can turn the car on, but I can't remove the key. I've wiggled and jiggled... for nothing. I see that this is a common problem (that I wish I would have know about before my purchase last year) with a common temporary fix, shelling out $300+ to get the ignition replaced... not happening over here because I'm a broke college student. So now I get to decorate my steering collum with Hawaiian Lei's that double as a disguise for the KEY THAT'S STUCK IN THE IGNITION!!! WTF!!! :cry:

I did some more reading... yeah, my CD player went crazy on me in May but I was under warrenty and the Ford dealer got me a new one the next day... after yelling profanities at the ONLY COMPANY IN THE STATE OF INDIANA THAT CAN REPAIR CD PLAYERS IN FORD AUTOMOBILES!!!... and I had to demand a next-day appointment just to get it taken care of. :mad:of my vents... and I thought maybe I was crazy, but like others out there, my AC doesn't blow out of all of my vents. :confuse:

What's next my fellow Focus owners??? I've read about breaks... and ignitions... and vents... and air bags... Please... no more problems... please... I'm broke!

Love,
    Broke College Student With A Well Decorated Focus In Indiana
  • briggy05briggy05 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Ford Focus and have been having this same problem since February. I've taken it to be fixed twice and the problem only comes back. What can we do about it? Have you had any luck getting this fixed, I can't stand it anymore.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Have you tried a good quality after market brake lining? That should work.
    Thank you for your reply. I truly apprciate it. Another TSB came out in July 2006 and I took it back into the dealership, good thing I had checked on the computer because the dealer will not call you in for sure. They replaced the rear wheel cylinders and replaced the rear pads again for the 3rd time and have not had a squeellllllling noise since! YEA!!!!! It was the rear wheel cylinders the whole time!
  • paintcrazypaintcrazy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Ford Focus and our local dealership told us that ford does not know what causes the brakes to squeal. I have replaced mine numerous times and they start it right back up, it gets embarrassing!!! It's a shame Ford doesn't know how to fix them.
    Guess I spoke toooooo soon, the squeeling has returned yet again been almost 2 weeks since the dealer replaced the rear wheel cylinders. This is my 5th time to the local Ford dealer had it allllll done, pads, shoes, drums looked at etc. and last but not least the wheel cylinders on the rear. I was reading that CA had a class action suit regarding the Ford Focus 2000, 2001 on the internet! Sooooo sick of it and I still owe another 2 years on it! FED UP!
  • kramcoskramcos Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Ford Focus SE. About a year ago the interior light stopped working (new bulb didn't help) and the window defrost on the rear window stopped working. According to the manual I have this could be the CTM (Central Timer Module). I found out that this part is $50. The dealership said it would be a minimum of $100 to look into the problem. Has anyone had this problem? If you did, what was the cause? Thanks
  • tom71tom71 Member Posts: 46
    I bought a new 2006 Ford Focus ZX4 ST sport model in January 2006. I like the car and it runs well, and I like
    the extra power. I'm sorry to say, I've been unlucky with some pesky warranty problems. Two problems fixed the first time, but my car has been plagued with an intermittent problem with the TRACTION CONTROL dashboard light coming on lit solid when it shouldn't Ditto for the ABS and brake lights. The Ford dealer has been great about trying to remedy the problem but have failed to date. Now the 4th try will be with the aid of a traveling Ford Service Rep on Tuesday.

Does anyone else out there who owns an ST model Focus, have problems with the intermittent errant "Traction" control light coming on, and ABS Brake lights when they shouldn't be?

At this point, if they don't fix my car the 4th try, I'm going to either hire a lemon law attorney, or use the arbitration system.
  • tom71tom71 Member Posts: 46
    hataa,

Is you're Focus out of warranty? If not, the ignition key being stuck issue should be covered by the warranty. It sounds like Focus's (especially earlier model year ones), have had this problem a lot. If you're car is out of warranty, I would ask the Ford dealer if they will fix it
    at no charge. Sometimes a dealer will for cronic problems
    that they have a "Technical Service Bulletin" for. If they
    won't fix it, I suggest to write a complaint letter to the Ford district office in Dearborn MI. Good luck.
  • haataahaataa Member Posts: 2
    i'm pretty sure I'm still under warrenty but the ignition key isn't a warrenty issue... it costs a "cool" $300... each time it happens. :(
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    that should be covered under the warranty.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • maepmaep Member Posts: 2
    The ignition problem where your key won't turn is NOT a warranty item after the first 60,000 km in Alberta. You have to pay for it yourself, Ford dealers are very expensive for this! In Edmonton call Dial Locksmith who will do it for under $200 usually. Ford charges anywhere from $400-700..I've been thru it all at the end of May!
  • zeteczetec Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    My Focus Zetec just developed the same fault
    Did you ever find a soloution
  • happyjack6happyjack6 Member Posts: 1
    Other sites have recommended a locksmith in San Diego that will pin a cylinder based on a digital photo and ship it to you, with instructions for less than $100. I was skeptical at first, but was pleasantly suprised when they came through with a working replacement at my doorstep in 2 days. If you have nut drivers, a T20 torx driver, a small slotted screw driver, and half of a brain, you can replace it in less than 30 minutes.
  • fdeeringfdeering Member Posts: 5
    i have a 2001 wagon with 40K on it and I started smelling a burnt oil smell in the car especially when the heater is on and I'm in stop and go traffic. Anyone else have similar problems? i replace the valve cover gasket about 2 months ago and it hasn't helped.

thanks for any input you might have.

best regards,
    Frank
  • conanhconanh Member Posts: 5
    I dont think the tumbler likes too much weight on it. I got to the point of just having the one car key on the ring and I havent had a problem after that.
  • rapidrickrapidrick Member Posts: 70
    Greetings,
    Just happened on this thread and thought I'd offer some balance. My 03 ZTW has had (see subject...) Awesome car. Sorry to hear about you folks having issues, I, apparently, got a gem. Oh, only have 40K on it in NoDak and FL.
  • bradleyfarmsbradleyfarms Member Posts: 7
    Can I put a twin cam motor into an SE that had a SOHC?
  • marlincmarlinc Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody been having any transmission problems with their focus ? I've got a 2000 wagon with 117xx miles on it.Coming home today it started reving up.It did this at least 6 times in 25 miles.Can't tell if it's trans. or electric problem.
  • dlhjr1970dlhjr1970 Member Posts: 2
    I believe that you and I might be having the same problem with our cars. I own a 2001 ford focus SE sedan, with 180,xxx miles and for the past several months there has been an intermitten problem; while driving down the road the car momentarily shifts nito a lower gear, causing the rpm's to increase by about 1000rpm's, then it shifts back into the correct gear. I do alot of hi-way driving so I experience this problem mostly when I'm drivng at around 70mph, but I have also noticed it in town when driving 30mph.
    Much like you stated I can't tell if this is a transmission problem or electrical. I have sent the car to a transmission shop, while they had it, the car would not act up. I have also since then taken it back because it was acting up, I happened to be close to the transmission shop pulled in, did not turn the car off, got the owner to go for a ride with me, and then the car ran fine. So far I have had the car scanned for codes twice, and codes are found. I have also had a sensor replace to see if that would fix my problem; it did not.
    If this sound like your problem let me know, I'm trying to figure this out, I'll let you know what I find. David
  • edwithfocusedwithfocus Member Posts: 3
    I am hearing a noise, sounds like an ehaust pipe knocking on the right front side of the car most of the time i go over even the slightest bump-at low speeds. seems not to happen if it is very cold outside. i had it checked out and was told it was probably the right tie rod so i had it replaced and aligned-the noise is still there. now i am told that the noise is coming form the front strut- the vehicle handles well, no bouncing, no dipping on corners, etc- just that noise at speeds at 0-30 kph. any one out there have the same problem, it will cost about $700 to replace the front strut assemblies and i don't want the same noise after the work is done. this is a 2001 focus with 138 km on it
  • zeteczetec Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    Had this noise from my 2001 UK focus.
    Turned out to be the anti-roll bar link.

This bolts from the Shock to the end of the rollbar
    It Has a ball and socket on each end shrouded by a rubber "boot"
    If this boot gets torn or ripped dirt and grit gets into the balljoint
    and can causes wear - causing it to rattle.
    Lucky it is cheap and easy to replace.
  • bamaboy5bamaboy5 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Focus SE. I bought it brand new and the switch is wearing a groove
    on the end of the key. I went to the dealer last year and showed them what it was doing. They said eventually that I would have to replace it. I asked if there was a recall on it and they said no ,that it would cost about $300.00 .
    Yes, I have a 2001 Focus with power windows. I have replaced 1 each plastic piece that is the window guide....it is the piece that holds the glass secure while the window rolls up and down....(cheap part) but not cheap to replace...Thusfar I have replaced that particular part on 3 windows....each time I took it to the dealer the manager said "the rubber needs cleaning"....thennnnn when I would leave it would still "screech" and of course at different times each window finally broke (that piece I was telling you about) and then I had to go back to the dealer again...the manager just laughed and said "what are YOU doing to these windows to make them all break?"....Not funny!
  • bamaboy5bamaboy5 Member Posts: 2
    I also have problems with the transmission jurking when riding down the highway,doesn't matter what speed you are going. It will jurk without warning.I took it to the dealer when it first started in 2005 and exsplained the problem to them.I asked them to put it on the computer and try to find out the problem. All they did was hop in the car and drive it for two miles and come back telling me that they didn't find anthing wrong. One year went by and the jurking started getting worse. It didn't do it all the time, just once or twice a month. In 2007 I took it back complaining that the problem was getting worse. They test drove it again ,and nothing was wrong they said. So I kept on taking it back, and nothing was done. Early last year I took it for an oil change and to have the transmission fluid change.I bought a manual for the car and looked through it,searching for where the pcv valve would be located.The reason why is, I know that the pcv valve has something to do with the transmission changing gears, don't know exactly what yet because I haven't gotten that far in my schooling yet. But I found out that the pcv valve has a filter located in the air filter box at the very bottom in the left corner on the 2003 models. You will have to check the manual for different models. It is about a 1 inch by 1 inch foam spongy like square filter. You can only get the filter from the Ford dealership and they will have to order it.I got and changed the filter and so far I haven't had anymore problems out of it yet. I don't know how often that it is suppost to be changed because noone at the dealership knows[ some mechanic]. SORRY FOR RAMBLING BUT MAYBE THAT WILL HELP SOMEONE IF THEY RUN INTO THE SAME PROBLEM.
    GOD BLESS YOU ALL
  • dano31dano31 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same question.my engine is shot and would like to put a D.O.H.C. engine my focus SE.it has a S.O.H.C. in it.
    Cane this be done and have you done it? thanks
  • marked1marked1 Member Posts: 15
    I own 03 focus se model. Ignition switch doesn't bother me yet. Just wanted to replace it before it quits on me. For some reason i can't remove the lock cylinder.
    I removed steering column covers, turned steering wheel 90 degrees to the right, turned key in acc position, located small hole in the ignition switch housing- I don't
    see small button inside the hole to press.
    Any ideas, please advise
    I have a 2001 Focus SE....Have had 2 previous issues with the ignition locking and was unable to turn it to start the vehicle...I am able to insert the key but unable to start the vehicle based upon the locking issue...I have been told from a local locksmith this can be resolved by drilling out the tumbler (gutting it, less costly) and or replacing the ignition (more costly)...took it to the local dealer and they (acted as tho they had not heard of this problem) also quoting $464 to replace the ignition...I checked my other spare keys (3) (which I had to pay for since they only sold the vehicle with 1 key to me) and I requested which key had the PATS II computer programming to start the vehicle and they said they cannot tell if the key has been programmed for my vehicle and yet I had it programmed at this dealership?....Meanwhile I frustratingly insert the key and tap it gently to allow the key to actually unlock and function....this is only a temporary fix...Ford needs to initiate an actual RECALL and replace this defective part...
  • terryxbterryxb Member Posts: 2
    Check this out. Very common and it can be done much cheaper then quoted. DIY
    http://forums.focaljet.com/team-tech/497529-new-ignition-cylinder-help.html
    Thank you so very much for this information...I certainly appreciate it.
  • bo2003focusbo2003focus Member Posts: 1
    My experience is much like Ed's -- during slow turns it'll ping, almost like a spring is twanging -- but I don't notice it in the gentle turns on the highway.

It also makes the noise when I go over a bump in the road, but otherwise handling hasn't been affected.

I'd much rather not face a steep repair bill, like Ed. -- any thoughts? (And thanks for the help!)
    I have had a check engine light on for a year now. The code is engine lean bank one. I have had smoke test done on this car and replaced two O2 sensors. And still no luck. Where I live it will not pass the emissions test so soon I will not be able to drive my car. Has anyone have the same problem.
  • rmncoknmermncoknme Member Posts: 18
    I have had two cars that made a noise like this. Both needed new sway bar link(s). Just replaced one on my wife's Escape, problem solved. The OEM had only plastic to surround the ball on either end. Replaced with a MOOG unit, holy cow like a bomb shelter with grease fittings and all. BTW, if you grab the link at either end and try to move it, if it's bad, it will allow wiggle.
    Yes, I have a 2001 Ford Focus SE and the check engine light was on for almost 5 months...I changed the gas cap, did not make a difference light still stayed on....Went to the local Ford dealership, they found nothing wrong...said "they were puzzled!"....Then had the battery changed 3 weeks ago....Light is gone now....Yea!!!!!!
  • jfisher915jfisher915 Member Posts: 1
    hello i'm a ford master tech . my dads focus check engine light came on while he was visiting . retreived code po171 . bank 1 sys lean, did normal test for vacumm leaks ,fuel pressure . found nothing normally wrong . after extensive diagnosis
    found pcv valve bad. this is on a 2001 focus spi motor, pcv located right upper corner of valve cover . this may fix your problem. dealer only part. vbut not really expensive. disconnect battery to reset keep alive memory,
    I had this problem 5 years ago. I replaced the brake shoes and it was still squealing to I replace them again and had the drums turned and the squealing has never come back.
    I replaced the PCV valve and it fix the problem. Iwant to thank you for the information.
  • april100176april100176 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 06 Focus used. In the past 1 1/2 I have owned it I have had to replace the transmission, fly wheel and just recently the starter. Luckily the transmission and fly wheel were covered by the warranty. I have had a squeak in the rear passenger side since I have owned it. Does anyone know what it could be? I think it may be a strut that was not lubricated correctly, but that is just a guess. Thanks for any info or suggestions.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    My son is getting a free fuel pump installed on his 2001 Focus, under their 10 year extended coverage program for this part. While we can not really complain, given the age of the car, what is covered under Ford's fuel pump pseudo-recall/extended warranty seems kind of questionable.

Ford states that the problem is that the fuel pump can eventually cause the fuel filter to clog. The clogged filter then causes "driveability" problems. Yet they only pay for the pump, they do not pay for the fuel filter that the faulty pump clogged up. They also only replace the pump after the driveability problems start occurring.

Again, not really going to complain, as paying $60 for a new fuel filter (plus paying for a tow) and getting a new fuel pump on a 9 year old car does not seem to be too bad a deal.
  • dvc1492sdvc1492s Member Posts: 13
    I heard a horrible clunking sound coming from the front wheel well this morning. The noise definately sounded like a vibration coming from the spring over the strut. Upon further inspection, the coil was cracked near the top of the spring causing the strut to sit to close to the frame, and hence rubbed when turning the steering wheel.

I checked at Ford.com for a recall posted as a TSB but could not find one. However, my local ford dealer said that there is a 10 year, 100,000 mile extended warrenty on the spring and they would replace both of them for free. Its a (3) hour job which I scheduled for the coming week. I will post back when its complete and seems to be fixed and if there is any other information that I find out.
  • markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    Interesting, is there a place were we can find out more of these" hidden warranties ". As we know the earlier model years had some problems. Did any of these extended warranties apply to the 04 model ?
  • edwithfocusedwithfocus Member Posts: 3
    MY DAUGHTER WAS DRIVING HER 2001 FOCUS 168,000KM TO EDMONTON FROM CALGARY.SHE HAD THE CRUISE SET AT 120 KM WHEN SHE STOPPED IN RED DEER FOR A COFFEE{ABOUT 150 KM}. WHEN SHE GOT BACK ON THE ROAD THE CRUISE WOULD NOT ENGAGE-THE LIGHT CAME ON, THEN WENT OUT.SHE CONTINUED TO EDMONTON(ABOUT 150 KM} WITHOUT ANY TROUBLE OR CRUISE. WHEN SHE WAS DRIVING BACK TO CALGARY THE NEXT DAY WHEN AFTER 180 KM THE CRUISE CONTROL "KICKED" IN AND WENT UP TO 120 KM-SHE STEPPED ON THE BRAKE AND THE CAR SLOWED DOWN TO 110, THEN CLIMBED BACK YO 120-THE CRUISE WOULD NOT DISENGAGE- SHE FINALY PUT THE VEHICLE IN N AND SHUT OF THE ENGINE- SHE WAS SO SCARED SHE WOULDN'T DRIVE IT FURTHER-I HAD TO GO GET HER. WHILE DRIVING THE CAR BACK IT PREFORMED GREAT EXCEPT THE CRUISE WOULDN'T ENGAGE--ANYONE ELSE HEARD OF THIS- I HAVEN'T AND I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN TOLD THAT STEPPING ON THE BRAKE "KILLS" THE CRUISE.