Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Owners: Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• jf7227jf7227 Member Posts: 14
    Is there any product that would fit into the cutout of the bumper where the tow hitch is. I don't like the look of the tow hitch and want some type of plastic insert or molding to cover the cutout. Do they make anything like this that would match the color of the bumper.
  • eastcoastdivereastcoastdiver Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone recently had a tub liner sprayed into the entire interior of their Wrangler? And want to give me a price estimate?

I just bought a 2005 Wrangler (Rocky Mountain Edition) and I'm excited by the idea of just hosing everything down at the end of the day (I'm hauling salty/sandy scuba gear to the beach and back all year).

On an unrelated note, I really like the look of the wider tires that stick out a bit. Can I just offset my existing tires (30x9.5x15) or is a wider tire (11.5 or 12.5) needed? Can I fit a 31x11.5 or 31x12.5 on my Jeep without lifting or cutting the fender?

Thanks for any tips/suggestions!
  • bvcrdbvcrd Member Posts: 196
    Walmart or ebay. You can get them with all sorts of logos. I prefer the Denver Broncos one. :)
  • craigk1craigk1 Member Posts: 6
    I bought a 2005 Jeep Liberty sport in October and now I want to have the crossbars installed to complete the roof rack and also have skid plates installed.

What would everyone out there recommend? I've heard that some of the crossbars create a whistling noise while you're driving?

What do I need in the way of skid plates (I'm a newbie to 4-wheeling)?

How much can I expect a dealer to charge for this?

Are the crossbars something I can install myself, keeping in mind that I'm not the handiest guy, and can I get them cheaper going through someone like Kragen?

Thanks for everyone's help

craig
  • enedzienedzi Member Posts: 3
    It depends on your radio type. If you have the NAV system the only way without extra parts is if you have a rear seat DVD. The DVD has a input for audio and video. If you don't have the Nav system there is at least 1 factory radio that has an input on the lower left side of the radio.

There are a couple of companies that plan on offering an interface for the NAV system. These interfaces are not out yet. Check out these websites:
    http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=885
    http://peripheralelectronics.com/web/home.asp
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    For Line-X, the quote I got was about 600 or so, and that was if I stripped the interior myself and basically only took in the driver seat.

I like my carpet and how it looks, so I'm inclined to keep it until it looks lousy. But a sprayed in bedliner would sure make having it in the water and mud a lot easier. :)

-Paul
  • eastcoastdivereastcoastdiver Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for your estimate. I talked to a rhino man here (near boston) and he said 1000 for the job if they take everything out and 700 if i do it myself.

i think i'm gonna pull the trigger on this... won't be worried about sandpiles in the jeep anymore!
    Post pics somewhere when you it. My only concern is getting ground in mud/dirt out of the grooves of the liner once it is done.

My estimate wasn't TOO far off. Maybe call around - I bet you can get better pricing.

:)

-Paul
  • skitch47skitch47 Member Posts: 2
    What can I do to increase the tire size on my 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport. I do a lot of driving on the beach, and the stock 21575R16 just does not get the job done after airing down to 16 to 18 lb, no clearance at all. I am not opposed to adding a body lift if neccessary, but would prefer to keep stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • bvcrdbvcrd Member Posts: 196
    Only way to go is up. You are pretty limited on tires with stock height.
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    I have a 1997 Grand cherokee 2 wheel drive. I would like to put larger tires on it but do not want to modify the vehicle or change from the factory 15" mag wheels. I would like to have a wider base to the tire since sand is the worst obstacle I face. Anyone with experience on what works or doesn't let me know.
    Just like with the Wranglers, your issue will be twofold:
    1- clearance in the wheel wells (esp when turning)
    2- backspacing of the stock wheels (probably 5.5").

Wider tires mean generally that you need less backspacing like about 4" to fit wider tires. Straightline driving won't be a problem, but when turning, your tires could rub the underside parts of your Jeep.

If you are insistent on keeping your factory wheels, you can use wheel spacers like the ones found at Spidertrax. They have their own lugs, and are not like the older style spacers which fit on the same lugs as the wheels themselves.

Here's what the spidertrax spacers are like (on my Wrangler):

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

You can see where the original lugs attached.

-Paul
  • zacman411zacman411 Member Posts: 2
    Can anybody tell me where I can get chrome foor handles, chrome back hatch handle & chrome gas door cover? trying to sport her up a little more. thank you!!!
    Perhaps Quadratec or JCWhitney.

-Paul
  • cj_jakecj_jake Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 jeep wrangler.....where in your opinion is the best place to mount a CB antenna on it.....??

Jake
    Depends on which type of CB. I have a Cobra 75WxST compact CB. The brainbox of it is mounted under my center console and the mic attaches by my right knee on the knee panel.

Here is a pic of it (kinda) on my dash...

Bigger units have been mounted alongside the center console on either passenger or driver side.

Some mount under the dash on the passenger side.

Now for the antenna, most mount it somewhere on the back. I had an Arizona Rocky Road antenna mount (www.arizonarockyroad.com) that held a 2' wilson antenna about 1' over the roofline. It mounted with the stock tire carrier.

I now have a Jeeperman tire carrier and I have my 4' Firestik attached to it.

Hope this helps some.

I have seen some that mount to some kind of mount tied into the taillights too.

I have found that with offroading in the trees, having the antenna mounted closer in to the center of the vehicle helps quite a bit.

-Paul
  • cj_jakecj_jake Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Paul.....

Another question....What do you guys think about Lift Kits....is it a better route to spend 500 dollars or so and get the supension lift?...or should I save the money and get the do it yourself lift kits? Someone told me if I do it myself I will run into problems with it in the future...and in the long run The supension lift is the better deal....but I dont know.... can someone help...
    Whoever told you not to do it yourself is probably not a very competent mechanic. I have a lift 'kit' on my Jeep (you can see the aftermarket shocks). I did it all myself, and not even with a helper. Here's what I replaced:
    - Springs - front/rear
    - Shocks - front/rear
    - Sway bar connectors (Running JKS quicker discos now)
    - installed sway bar relocation bracket in back
    - installed adjustable front end swaybar

I've had the lift on for a year now, and I've had ZERO problems with it.

My lift is actually 2 lifts - one is a suspension lift that I just detailed, and the other is a body (spacer) lift that lifts the tub off of the frame 1.25".

If you look at the pic below, you can see the gap in the rear wheel well between the tub and frame. That is the body lift. Again, a simple DIY job, provided you have a floor jack or some way to safely lift up the tub a bit while you do the work.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting.

Lifts over 3-4" will lead to bigger issues and may be what the guy was talking about. However, properly addressing all the issues, such as with steering geometry/drop pitman arms, etc, track bar adjustments, etc will eliminate the problems. One issue with bigger lifts is that the wheels/axle will be rotated 'in' closer to the center of the vehicle so the effective wheelbase is shortened even more. A Long arm lift or adjustable control arms for the axles can both address it.

Personally, a 3" lift with a 1" BL will give a 4" overall lift and is about ideal for a Jeep, IMO.

-Paul
  • garethbgarethb Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Can I change my seats to the power seats. If so what do I need to do.
  • m0f0j02m0f0j02 Member Posts: 1
    I ordered the mirror relocation brackets for my '97 TJ from 4wd.com. The windhield mount bolts will not budge at all. Tried PB Blaster, and WD-40, and a lot of muscle. Anybody have any tips or ideas? Especially if you have these on your Jeep. Thanks :confuse:
    2 words - HAVE FUN!

One of the 4 was a PAIN for me. They are held in with LocTite. If you can head the bolt up a bit w/o hurting the paint, that will help.

Ways to get em off are:
    1. GOOD Torx bits, not the cheapies from Autozone. We're talking Craftsmen here. Less likely to bend.
    2. Insert the Torx bit that fits - THEN go the next size up and make sure it doesn't fit. It is easy to use the wrong size Torx bit.
    3. If it gets stripped out, you can try using bolt extractors (reverse drill bits).
    4. If your bolt extractor breaks, you can use a small drill bit and drill a hole through the flared part of the bolt's head. Once you have a hole, a hole punch or other long slender object can be put in that hole and hit with a hammer (in the direction of removal - counterclockwise).

Don't ask how I know about 2, 3, and 4. :)

-Paul
  • drewskinsdrewskins Member Posts: 4
    I want to install a 4 point racing harness in my 95 wrangler yj. and i am looking for the best way to install any help would be appreciated.
    For offroading?

Keep in mind, part of the process of offroading involves looking out your window to see your line. With a 4 or 5 point harness, that range of motion will be seriously inhibited.

That said, the best way to do it is the right way. You will probably need to install a cross bar to your sport cage (you have a full cage right?) that goes behind your seats. This will hold the harnesses on properly.

Another option may be to get deeper bucket seats, like PRP or Mastercraft and use your existing seat belts.

The Mastercraft, SummitRacing, or PRP websites I think have links to properly installing a 4 or 5 point harness system.

-Paul
    I was going to use them offroad on onroad if as legal in my state.
    My jeep has the standard roll bars. I thought to mount them to the bars or drill into the body of the jeep at a 45 degree to the seats. since i dont have any back seat. but i also dont like that idea because i would not be able to use any best top products like the duster etc. I just want to be safe.
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    I don't know about your state, but a 5 point racing harness is not legal here. I don't know why either. Looks like any harness designed to withstand the impact of a 150 mph crash would be more than enough for the street. :confuse:
    Yea u would think they would be suitable. What state are you in?
    Heya there! :)

You making the Windrock trip this week in that YJ of yours? :)

-Paul
    I would have to say no since i have never heard of Windrock. where is it located and when is it?
    Drew I was talking with mullins87. :)

Windrock is in Oak Ridge, TN and our trip is this weekend.

-Paul
    I'll be sitting this one out as well. Not only do the finances not allow it, but I'm still working on my house. I really wish I could be there.
    Oh wait, I just realized something. Wasn't the Windrock trip last weekend??? :blush:
  • zoecozoeco Member Posts: 18
    I am getting ready to purchase an exhaust system for my '03 liberty. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to which cat back systems works best for a daily driver. I like the Borla system, but I was told that it can be too loud for a daily driver. I have heard magnaflow, and the price is much better, but I am still unsure as to which system to go for. I want a nice deep sound, but I don't want it to be so loud that it is annoying. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • baron293baron293 Member Posts: 9
    Just got an 06 wrangler SE, black in color. Looking to get some wheels and tires, but im not sure what sizes to go with. I dont initially plan on doing a lift. I was thinking 17-9 rims with some 31 inch wheels. I dont want super huge tires, its mostly just for looks. I also want to keep my mileage as good as possible. Any advice?
  • zoecozoeco Member Posts: 18
    I own a Liberty and was also concerned about tire size and fuel economy, when I first began modifications. I first installed a K&N FIPK and now I am about to purchase a cat back exhaust system. In all of the other forums, I learned that the two systems together can help with performance as far as horsepower is concerned, and while also helping to improve gas mileage. As far as tires are concerned, the 31" tires should work well. If I am not mistaken, most of the wranglers I see where I live run that size tire. Good Luck! Also check out tirerack.com for prices, reviews, and advice. The site is pretty solid.
  • baron293baron293 Member Posts: 9
    Anyone replaced their drivers seat with one of these custom bucket seats? Or know anyone that did? Im tall 6'4" and find the stock seats very uncomfortable. I might get a custome seat (about 300.00), but Id like to know if they fit right. Anyone?
    Please don't bling out that TJ. But, you can do with it whatever you want. Just my opinion.

TJ's can run 31" tires without any lift, provided you're not offroading it. Are these tires going to be 10" to 11" wide? I'm assuming so since you are wanting 9" wide wheels. You'll need anywhere from 3.75" to 4.25" of backspacing to keep the front tires from rubbing the control arms at full turn. The less backspacing there is, the further the tires will stick out.

Mileage will depend on your engine, tranny and axle gearing. I have a 4 banger with 4.11 gears and 31" tires. I get a whopping 13mpg if I'm lucky!!! If you have 3.07 gearing, you'll wish for 3.55's, 3.73's or maybe even 4.11's. Even if you have the 6 cylinder.
  • crd4libertycrd4liberty Member Posts: 3
    I haven't came across anyone who has improved anything with the K&N on a Liberty. The last I heard one guy had 5 times the amount of silicon (sand/dirt) in the specto-analysis test done on his oil he had with the stock filter. The original system is well designed and used on all the Liberty engines including the turbo diesel with good results. The best I've heard is 1/2 hp gain over stock at 4500 rpms. The problem is that the chassis dyno readings were floating a bit that day and he got the same hp with and without the stock filter hooked up in the normal engine rpm operating ranges earlier on in the test so he was looking at the change as an anomaly more than an actual change.
    Tire changes to a 31 inch wheel has a history of costing 1.5 to 2 mpg, you'll need to lift the rig at least 2 inches to fit them and probably also have the trim some plastic and flatten the pinchweld at the back of the front wheel well. Going over 2 1/2 inches of lift on the Liberty is not recommended if you want the front CV & ball joints to last. Even at 2 1/2 inches you'll possibly have problems bringing the wheel alignment within specs.
    The systems I've seen used are all 2 1/2 inch pipe, the stock system is 2 1/2 inch. Install a FlowMaster 40 delta muffler, a glasspack, whatever in your stock pipe if it's still in good shape and save your bucks on something else that makes a bigger difference in looks or performance. Few of the serious Liberty off roaders have changed exhaust systems past what is listed above. Lots have just put in the cheap $20 glass pack and have been grinning ever since. :) I used the 40 delta on my CRD and installed it as far back as I could so the rear tires help protect it from off road damage and I am completely satisfied.
    Occasional off roading requires nothing more than the stock skids that come from the DC parts counter. They are pretty stout and about $250 for all of them. Takes about 45 min. to an hour to put them all on,and they supply everything you need to do the job except a socket and wrench. Real easy for the owner to put on themselves. You get what you pay for with racks. The Wilderness rack from Garvin has shown to be about the best there is, both from a use and installation point of veiw on the off road Liberty. The stock jeep crossbars if you go that way, don't whistle that I've noticed.
  • floridajprfloridajpr Member Posts: 1
    RADIO MOUNT CB HAM JEEP WRANGLER at ebay. Just type in or copy and paste, RADIO MOUNT CB HAM JEEP WRANGLER, and it should go to the page with the CB mount on it. :shades:
  • scubadhpscubadhp Member Posts: 5
    I'm sure this question has been asked before, but is it possible to install on an 02 wrangler, the RB1 Navigation Radio from the grand cherokee, its the factory for 02 models and later. the RB1 Navigation Radio has rounded corners and my radio has squared corners, is there a bracket i could get?
  • georgedageorgeda Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone installed driving lights on an 04 GC Laredo? Did anyone use an inexpensive light instead of the factory unit? Any tips on installing?
  • mustangtwinsmustangtwins Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1995 Grand Cherokee Laredo when i bought it the over head light dome was missing cant seem to find one anywhere any one have a solution or what other year models interchange with the 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.
  • mdawg25mdawg25 Member Posts: 23
    I was looking at after market air intakes for an '01 Cherokee Sport with a 4.0 I6. Anyone had any luck with these? I've heard of horspower losses with intakes and exhaust systems like these. Any truth? Im just looking for a little hp gain and a good sound :).
  • dizzle3dizzle3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 cylinder 5 speed manual. I want to put a pretty big lift on it but i dont know what to do. I was thinking a 4 inch suspension with 2 inch body but i dont know if thats bad. What should i do? :confuse:
  • hunter1236hunter1236 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I am new to the Jeep world after driving Chevys for 10 years. And I love the 2005 JGC Limited that I bought. There are only two downfalls to it. I can not get the data center (where it tells you miles, mpg, temperature etc.) to stay in english. Is there any way to set it so it defaults to english? Every time i start my car I have to set it back to english.. I also cannot figure out how to change the time.. it has the navigation in it so the time is on that screen... help would be much appreciated.
  • dansjeepdansjeep Member Posts: 3
    Are you talking about just the dongle, or the whole KES?
    If it is just the dongle, you can get it cheap off eBay and the owners manual tells you how to program it.
    I have a used one that I can give you, just pay shipping.

Dan
  • jeepboy08jeepboy08 Member Posts: 49
    Well, as the title states, I just purchased a 2007 Jeep liberty Sport, 4x2. Yeah, yeah, I know, I got the [non-permissible content removed] version. Well, its all they had, and it was at a hell of a good price.. Here are the details.

1) 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x2
    2) 10,900 MILES!!!
    3) 4-speed auto
    4) PERFECT interior
    5) [Rockred?]

Anyway, the price was just below 15 grand, and I was looking for one. Luckily I decided to stop at the dealersip because originally I was looking at their wrangler, but agreed on this. Thus far (a little over a week) it has been an exceptional vehicle. Although there are a few things i would like to ask about it.

I like a car with a little bit of pwer, which, in my terms, the Liberty holds. But when I am starting off from a stop sign or a redlight, it seems that when i push down the petal it takes a while for the transmission to kick in. Now, granted, this is nothing serious. It is probably something I will have to get used to. But its better to ask. :D

Next... What are accessories that are a MUST HAVE. Not a "must have" in the sense that you would enjoy them, but something that would make the car's resale value sky-rocket, or something that would make the car look better.

Lastly, I am having a problem with the front windsheild. In the bottom right corner there seems to be an air leak. Again, it is nothing serious, and does not get on my nerves at all. Is it something that I should get fixed now, or wait? Better yet, is it even something would be considered "fixable?"

Thank you all SO much!

I am the guy on the left, and after searching for a car for 8 hours (alone!), I was EXTREMELY tired, but in the same sense, i was very proud! It was the first car that I have bought after moving out of my parents house. Tell me how you like the car! Thanks, Trevor.

(if the picture doesn't show up, here is the link to it).

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=jpx004&s=3
  • jbjtkbw00jbjtkbw00 Member Posts: 66
    Congrats and welcome to the ownership of a Jeep. Probably one of the most fun vehicles I've ever driven.
  • jeepboy08jeepboy08 Member Posts: 49
    Honestly, I would have to agree! And thank you! :D
This discussion has been closed.