Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram (2002) UNVEILED!

Comments

• badrammanbadramman Member Posts: 61
    The 1991-1993 Rams were the best looking!
  • tavgradtavgrad Member Posts: 201
    Well, there's always the dakota...

Best looking was 1991-1993? They all looked alike to me up until 1994 MY. If I'm not mistaken, the Dodge full size pickups from 1971-1993 was on the same platform. Maybe a grill or headlight or interior change here or there...engine changes...someone correct me if I'm wrong. Die hard dodge truck fans were the only ones who took notice of those.
    Speaking of which, I spoke to a lot of Ram owners of the previous generation Ram hate the new Ram. They are calling it a trendy, pansy wimpy truck. Now, when a die hard chevy fan calls it that, I can understand that and blow that off. Our tastes are completely different. But for someone who likes the 1994-2001 models and hates this...that gets confusing.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I'm one of those trendy die hard Chevy fans. I don't think the new Ram looks that bad from the front. Where I don't like it as well as the '94+ is from the sides and rear. Also not sure I like the new interior dash layout as well...looks a bit gaudy, but if you have more room than before, I guess I could get used to it. That Dodge bench seat has always been one of my favorites. I think people will accept the new truck, particularly with the innovative, crew cab like rear doors in what remains a reasonably sized truck, due to shortening the bed length a bit.

I don't think anything beats the Dakota for styling however. DC could have done worse than to just scale-up that styling for the new RAM. But they have to have something *all new*. The fear might have been that die hard Ram lovers would call it, trendy, pansy wimpy...LOL!
    It's the sides that I hear that all die hard truckers do not like. To me, it has improved, especially the rear. (SLT models had that hard ugly gray plastic on the gate.)
    I guess it has been designed for people who would buy Ford Supercrews, Chevy Avalanches, and Dakota Quad Cabs. (those were all on my list, actually).
    I always liked the Ram's seating, too. The bench seats are even more innovative. You can fold the rear up to make a flat metal floor, and the front middle "seat" folds up for even more storage. That outweighs the minivan dash, of which I will look into carbon fiber appliques to somehow dress that up.

The dakota IS a good looking truck, from every angle. And the opposite end of the spectrum the Pontiac Aztek is an ugly SUV from every angle.
    It's just my opinion about the sides, as I don't make a habit of reading too much stuff others have said about it, or the old Ram. Regardless of how the new styling strikes you, new styles almost always end up making the old stuff look dated. My buddy thought the new Ford Super Duty was ugly, and bought one of the last old style F250's. He regrets that now. There's no doubt, this new Ram is an improvement over the old one, especially since it has 4 wheel disc brakes. I just think '94+ Ram, for having so much boldness to it, nevertheless retained a balanced look. The best looking one I saw was a 2001 in Gold, with Cummins. Looked, and sounded the part.

Whatever styling Damnear Chrysler has up it's sleeve, it can never equal the natural beauty of a Pontiac Aztek! DC ought to hire those sylists away from G.M., give 'em big raises...(wink, wink!)
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I like the looks of the 02, and as quadrunner mentioned, it's not a revolution that will make the older trucks extremely dated. The fact that a vehicle built in 94 still catches my eye in 01 trim that's nearly the same is quite amazing. We bought an 01 Cummins last year over the Ford because I'm a cummins fan, and the extended cab Dodge was more comfortable. Plus I still really like the looks of the dodge after all these years. At first I didn't care for the color we bought (goldish brown with a grey bottome) but after putting 50K miles on it in a year and basically washing it only a couple times I really appreciate the colors. Even when filthy it doesn't look too bad. Looks like a true hard workin machine.

I'm going to look closely at the Cummins models when they are released hopefully next year. I assume most of the design will be the same as the 02 light-duties. The crew seems to be a good combination of interior room without extending the chassis too far. Our extended cab short bed turns pretty tight, but can still haul a 5th wheel. Hopefully the new ones have the same useable dimensions.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    is an "evolutionary" styling update, designed not to offend current Ram owners, who is their first priority. These are the folks Dodge wants to retain as future customers.

The #1 rule in sales, is that your current customers are your easiest customers to retain. Keep them happy first, then "mine" the rest of the market for conquest sales.

Bob
  • moparmadmoparmad Member Posts: 197
    Most of the true Dodge Ram fans I know of hate the new Ram. The salesman I know quite well told me that our local dealer is very worried because the trucks sales are flat,and most of the response to the truck is very negative from their regular customers.

Sounds like a redneck joke but...
    You know your a true Dodge fan when you can tell the difference between a '78 and a '79 Dodge Powerwagon at 70 miles per hour with your wife trying to blind your eyes while she is screaming "no you do not need to buy that".

I had a '92 Ram I always did think it was one of the cleanest looks for the Ram,very handsome. And the fact that it was the first year for the 318 Magnum and due to not yet having the NV3500 you got the super stout NV4500 was just icing on the cake,one of my favorite trucks I've owned.
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    I personally dont like the looks of the new ram in the Quad cab short bed version but I saw a black quad with the real 8' bed and it looked awsome. To me the short bed and longer cab makes the truck look out of proportion, the 8' bed fixes that problem.
    Auto sales across the board are flat—hence all the 0% financing... Most Dodge truck owners I've talked to like the new Ram.

Bob
    that's right, bob. Believe it or not, Dodge, Chevy,and Ford dealers are STILL soliciting...( Like I said before, I was interested in looking at the competiton at one point).

moparmad,
    I've gotten both positive and negative remarks (more positive) from ALL truck owners. The ones who own an older ram states they are gonna wait until next year or so to see what else DC is going to do with the ram (i.e., Cummins) before they make decisions. Most Ram owners buy the 2500 or 3500, or get the most powerful engine offered. That will happen next year.
    ...is that beyond the new 4 wheel disc brakes and innovative doors, it is basically just new sheet metal and styling. Not enough beef for some of the current '94+ Ram owners to rush out and trade, or become dissatisfied with current rides.

There's only so far J.D. Powers most appealing awards, and cab forward cliches can take those reliable, but thirsty magnum engines, 360 and V10.

If DC could have combined new engines (hemi), new transmissions (allison), the reception would be significant enough to attract some Ford and Chevy owners. But as things are, while nothing wrong exactly, the appeal is probably going to be limited mostly to current Ram owners, and lukewarm only. Hope I'm wrong, but then I'm still PO'd that the company U.S. taxpayers bailed out of bankruptcy thanks to Lee Iacocca, is now owned by foreigners.
  • ram2002ram2002 Member Posts: 16
    To me, this truck is all new. New engine (4.7), new body, new frame, new front suspension, new interior dimensions.

I think DC is definitely aiming for the non-truck owning male that, previously, was in the SUV market. Like it or not, the SUV has become somewhat feminized over the past five years. Here in Texas, you are more likely to see a female driving an SUV than a male.

Given the brand loyalty that most truck owners have, I think it's a better strategy trying to get Ford or Chevy owners to switch.
    quad, they called it a merger, remember?

The truck IS all new. Inside and out. I compared them both.
    Brand loyalty: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Die hard chevy truckers will wrestle crocodiles to protect their "rados"..I seriously doubt that quadrunner500 will switch. Then again, I see he is spending a lot of time here in DOdge forums...

Dodge is doing the same as what Ford is doing, making more "family friendly" trucks, because an SUV indeed has morphed into more a mall hauler. I don't see anything wrong with that, but like moparmad is saying (poor guy, I feel his pain) is that they are alienating the Dodge TRUCKlovers by softening up the ram. They will get theirs when the Beefier Rams come out. They'll probably get different appearances.
    Hopefully that's what happens. Kinda like ford. The F-150 is a POS as a work truck since the new design (1997). However the Super-Dutys are stout workhorses. That's OK with me because the people that just need a truck to haul lumber or whatever are satisfied with the 1/2 tons. Someone like me wanting to tow 13K needs some more beef.

The catch is not getting too many prior owners mad. I know a couple farmers that always bought F-150's to have around as general farm vehicles and were in for quite a surprise when they bought the redesigned model in 97. I'm sure if someone would have told them that the F-150 wasn't going to handle abuse like the prior models they would have happily bought the super-duty. Someone who's ragged the hell out of a 1/2 ton Ram for several years needs to know if there is more than towing capacity/engine differences between the models.
    side by side to see the difference. I have a '76 Powerwagon with a big block,four speed,and full time fourwheel drive,and a 2001 Ram with a 318 five speed four wheel drive. Both trucks are 1/2 tons but the sheer beef of the '76 makes the '01 look almost comical as a truck.
    Make no mistake the 2002 is all new,the only good part left is the 5.9L. I know that will upset alot of people but I use my trucks as trucks and the 4.7L is not a heavy duty truck engine. The first clue is the fact that the 4.7 requires two second gears in the tranny to even reach a five thousand pound towing limit.
    I realize most truck buyers don't care about towing or hauling much more than groceries,but I just believe a truck should first be a good truck.

Lastly all truck manufacturers sell many more 1/2 tons than 3/4 or 1 tons. I have heard rumors that the upcoming heavy duty trucks are going to look just like the 2002 1/2 ton. Personally I would like the look except for the thickness in the hood area,the hood looks like it is really way too high and the sloping windshield just makes the front of the truck grossly fat to me.
    sebring, that is EXACTLY like the fords. The F150 is a prime example.

moparmad,
    The 94-01 Rams always had a large,long hood and the windshield is raked a little.. But for 02, It has been slightly raised to accomodate the taller grille.

I saw a half-covered heavyduty duallie prototype a few months back. There are some differences. Although the sloping windshield and higher hood is on the HD's, the rest of the body is seems to fill it and doesn't make those two thing you hate look so pronounced. Maybe seeing a true crew cab, long bed duallie should please you.
    Both GMs and Ford's Heavy duties are taller, wider, and have hoods that are taller. I personally like the Silverado heavy duty look, but hate the regular one.

And as for the engines, yes, the 4.7 is not a "tree uprooter", but it does have enough grunt for the average person. I believe if one is going to tow a lot should upgrade to the larger engine or if they need to load up and haul concrete slabs or elephants need a HD.
    My apologies for thinking 2002 Ram not all new. Been enlightened about new frame, 4.7 engine offering etc.
    I don't mean to put down your choice of the new Ram,just pointing out why I don't like it. Looks are always a subjective matter. I have never liked the looks of any clubcab or quadcab. They just look out of proportion to me. I really prefer my '76 wasn't a clubcab but the price was right. I know I am definitely in the minority on this but I wish Dodge had kept the 318 and just updated the heads and intake to take advantage of new technology,and then develop a 5 speed automatic to go with it. But I realize that wouldn't be seen as new and trendy enough for most buyers and so the entirely new powerplant is required.

I would wish you the best on the purchase of your new Dodge,but you don't need it,it's still a Dodge. Welcome to the world of the most obnoxiously devout motor company fans in the world,now your a Dodgeboy,your mission should you choose to except it...go thump some Chevy and Ford men.
    No offense taken. I understood your reason the first time when you first mentioned it.

I thank you for the welcoming into the misunderstood world of Dodge, and will assume the Dodgeboy position with moparpride. I accept your mission...where's Quadrunner500? ;)
    a 1500HD, with a GVW somewhere between 7000-7500 pounds. The new 1500, as it stands—looks huge—is huge—but has a rather meager payload, especially in 4x4 Quad Cab configuration. Because of its size, the curb weight is so high, thus leaving little in terms of payload. And... isn't payload what a pickup truck is all about in the first place?

Bob
  • badrammanbadramman Member Posts: 61
    Well it looks like I won't be getting a 1500 "toy" truck any time soon:)

I'd like to see Dodge do something like Ford(dare I say it!!) Keep the 1/2 & 3/4 styles different.
    Rumor is that the Dakota and Durango will be styled after the Powerwagon concept. I have seen the preliminary styling excercises for these trucks on car-truck.com all I can say is I wish the Ram had been done that way. They actually look tough enough to do the Powerwagon name justice. I think it might depend on sales and feedback on the 1500 to finally determine what happens with the 2500/3500. There minds are made up right now but soft sales may cause them to rethink the design.
    It has also been rumoured that the next Dakota/Durango may also be styled after the MAXXCab concept as well.

Chances are that the 2500/3500 will get some of the powerwagon design or the powerwagon name will be brought back. The way Chrysler (oh, DaimlerChrysler) does concepts to production process, 90% of concepts go into production. (for example, the Chrysler Crossfire is a go-ahead after one showing.)
  • chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    man the local Dodge dealer (which also happens to be a GM dealer, more about that later) got one of those new dodges a couple weeks ago, IMO the ugliest truck ever made yes even worse than the tundra, its been on the lot longer than most of the silverados lol
    "Auto sales across the board are flat—hence all the 0% financing..."

Auto sales in the US in October were, apparently, the highest ever, although there is a lot of discounting and extended warranties going.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Vehicle Sales for October Were Highest Ever in U.S.

By DANNY HAKIM

DETROIT, Nov. 1 — Sales of cars and trucks in the United States soared to the highest monthly level ever in October, automakers reported today, but they were spurred by deep discounts that foreshadow trouble in the months ahead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/02/business/02AUTO.html

The article says that auto sales in October were good "because" of 0% financing. Why do you think they instituted the 0% financing in the first place? Because after 9/11, and the continuing recession, nobody was buying vehicles.

Once these incentives disappear, so will the vehicle sales.

Bob
    In addition to the 0% Financing, Chrysler is even throwing in 7 yr 100K warranty for until 12/31/01.
    Darn. I bought it too early.

Marketing Bob, how long do you think these incentives are gonna last? I'll be trading in my car first of January.
    they can continue with 0% for much longer. The car companies are losing money on this. All it really does is clear out inventory.

Bob
    I'm not sure the 0% financing really is that much of an incentive. Since it's a dealer contribution (for the Ram, at least), it costs them $1,000 to do it so the price goes up. I had negotiated a cash price with my dealer last month, so when this financing was offered, they said it would raise the price if I took it.

It makes sense to me if it isn't from the factory and the dealer has to contribute $1,000, it comes out of the price or you could just get $1,000 off.
    ram2002, when did you order your truck? If you ordered it after October 1, you qualify for an additional $500 off.

"Truckville" sent me an additional $500 coupon off any new Ram. You would take it to the dealer and they would take off the additional $500 or you get the check in the mail. Unfortunately, I bought it too early so I do not qualify. If you want it or anyone is considering one, let me know via email.
  • penrosepenrose Member Posts: 31
    Test drove a new 2002 Ram today. ST 2wd regular cab with 4.7. It was very quiet, and drove like a car. Power was good, but not great. I currently have a 1999 chev. with a 5.3. The inside was decent and bigger than any other regular cab I have ever been in. Great storage behind seat. I do like the new body style, especially on the regular cab. Price has dropped to $16,410 in Phoenix area on this vehicle. MSRP was $19,865 I believe. Still deciding.
    Regular cab w/4.7 at that price? Get it. That's a good deal.
  • bocabeanie2bocabeanie2 Member Posts: 5
    The Wall Street Journal in Friday. Today paper had
    an article on w1 front paper and on w16 to finsh.
    Ford F series pickup lead the way last month in
    sales for first time every with over 100,000
    Truck sales. I didn't even see anything on Dodge.
    The truck that I want to "buy".I own a Dodge
    pickup for 7yrs 85-91 and had know promblems with
    it. I drive 91GMC Safari and have had know
    promblems either. Now I want the 1500 Quad Cab
    "SLT". I know it not a truth crew cab truck but I
    still want it.
  • penrosepenrose Member Posts: 31
    Well...the $16,410 was with $1,000 lease cash. My mistake for not reading the fine print. $17,410 would be my "purchase" price. I told the salesman that I would need to think about it. I was more upset because I called first to confirm the price, asking, "Do you have a 2002 Ram on sale for $16,410?" Oh well, I'm in no hurry. I believe that if sales do not pick up you will start to see cash back incentives.
    This pickup has charisma, doesn't it?

penrose, compare a ram regular cab w/V8 to the others. This also includes 13" 4 wheel disc brakes, air conditioning, tape deck, tie down hooks, tilt, 17" rims/wheels. In the others, I believe these are options. Still a better deal.

$550 is off the sticker, you know. Incentives will kick in next month. Right now 0% financing and 7 yr/100K warranty.

Sales are picking up. For the first month it's been out, there was NONE. Now, I see one a day.
    Call 800-4-a-dodge and ask them about the $500 off coupon, too.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    You have seen 1 more then I have seen on the road. I haven't seen a single Ram Quad (02) on the road. I see them on the lots but I haven't seen one off them. Glad to hear your still happy with yours Tav. I see the dodge dealers around here have also added another 500 for a loyality coupon.
    bow, I din't say that they're all over like for f150 or a silverado, it's just now after two months i've seen more than just once a week besides mine. The first one i saw was middle of october-a silver quad cab. maybe it's where you live that no one is buying them. It's mostly fords here in LA.

I'm sure more will pop around when HD's arrive in your area.

No regrets. Very happy with the Ram. No problems to report.
    Enjoy your supercrew, bow.
  • captainjcaptainj Member Posts: 31
    I liked it alot, except for the engine. I was told it was the 4.7, it was very loud and very course, nothing like the Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7. Aren't they supposed to have the same engine? Unless I actually drove the 5.9, is that one alot noisier?
    It's the exact same engine as the Grand Cherokee 4.7. I have a feeling that the engine sound you heard is partly intentional given the way this truck is being marketed.
    4.7 is not quiet if you are sitting in the truck, but it's not really that loud if you are outside of the truck. It's the exhaust...

Actually, I think the engine isn't coarse at all...I've punched it a couple of times, and it didn't strain or choke. captain, the ride was decent? Did it have pick up for you?
  • captainjcaptainj Member Posts: 31
    I didn't really give it much gas, it got so loud I didn't want to hear it. It rode good, better than most cars, however I would personally like the springs softer, as it seemed a tad jouncy/truckish once in a while, but it seemed to 'go with the flow' rather than smash into bumps. I'm used to quiet car engines, why can't they just leave the Jeep Grand Cherokee engine alone, why did they have to make it noisy? That's the only reason I won't buy it, otherwise I like the interior too. I think you're right about alot of the noise coming from the exhaust. I guess I'll look at a Toyota, but I'd have to do something with the seat (no legroom or height off the floor), I'm really bummed about the Dodge engine.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    The ride was "jouncy/truckish"? You are test driving a full sized truck that is supossed to carry heavy loads. Expect truckish if it duties are supposed to be truckish.
    You are so tuned into things that you notice how loud this engine is,but you don't really even know if it was a 4.7 or 5.9? And thank you Jcmdie,it is a truck of coarse it rides like a truck,if you want a car with a bed don't buy the toughest truck ever made go look at a Ford,Chevy or Toyota. That jouncey feel is the feel of a suspension that is really capable of handling heavy loads unlike some other brands I have witnessed. I really hate to be so mean about this but people like you are ruining trucks for those of us who really use our trucks as trucks,my 1/2 ton '76 Powerwagon will handle more weight in the bed than any 3/4 ton new truck I have encountered. Yes it also rides like a bus but if I want a luxury car I'll buy a luxury car.
    I know I'm in the minority with my opinions but I just had to say my peice...sorry for the interuption...carry on.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    For all those naysayers who think the new Ram Quad doesn't measure up to the other guys, here are the factory dimensions:

Ram 1500 Ford F150 Chevy/GMC
    Quad Cab SuperCrew 1500 Crew
    --------------------------------------
    Head room F.....40.8 ......39.8 .....41.1
    Head room R.....40.0 ......39.8 .....39.9
    Leg room F......41.0 ......41.0 .....41.3
    Leg room R......36.4 ......36.8 .....38.8
    Hip room F......65.1 ......59.8 .....61.4
    Hip room R......64.6 ......58.0 .....62.9
    Shoulder F......67.0 ......63.7 .....65.2
    Shoulder R......66.7 ......63.6 .....65.1

The F150 SuperCrew has exactly one advantage, and only by 4/10ths of an inch. And Ram blows both competitors away in hip and shoulder room, which means when you do need to seat three across, those folks aren't all sitting on top of each other. Granted, none of these trucks will be able to compare to a Ford SuperDuty crew cab, but Dodge may not be done yet.

January 6, 2002 is the first press day of the Detroit auto show, and it is expected Dodge will pull the cover off the new 2500/3500 trucks which will feature the 5.7 HEMI V8 as standard, the revised 8.0 V10 as the big-block option, and the all-new Cummins ISBe diesel. Current info leaks say the 2003 2500/3500s will start with the regular and Quad cabs identical to the new 1500, but by 2004, there should be a true crew cab.

Stand by - this will get interesting

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and FWI Message Boards
    Even with the bigger numbers, you really have to check them out and sit in them. When I was looking for an ext. cab 3/4 ton diesel last year, the Ford and Dodge were close on dimensions. However, sit in the back of a Ford ext. cab and then in a Dodge and you'll buy the dodge if anyone over 36" is going to be riding back there. The Ford seat is designed poorly for comfort.

The Grand Cherokee is very well insulated against engine noise. Drive a Cherokee with the I6 and then drive a Grand Cherokee with the same I6 and you'll notice a huge difference. 4.7L is a good motor in the Grand Cherokee/Dakota but wouldn't be my choice in a full-size.
    The GM 1500HD Crew has 2.4" more rear leg room. That's significant. Also, the rear seat backrest is a bit too vertical for my liking.

Bob
    The vertical seat back may have something to do with that rather usefull storage system loacted under the back seat for all the times you are driving without rear passengers. It does seem too vertical though. I expected the GM 1500HD crewcab to beat the snot out of Dodges' dimensions. Dodge is NOT marketing this as a crewcab, but a quadcab or extended cab. Tackling the interior space race and putting the largest 4 wheel disks in the market on thier truck, puts them back on top. Being a satisfied Dodge owner, the brakes were the biggest drawback on thier previous truck.
    I agree. The Ram Quad Cab sort of falls into a "netherland" somewhere between that of a traditional extended cab and crew cab. I think it's a smart idea, but those thinking they are getting a true cab might be disappointed.

Bob
    Those thinking that they are getting a crewcab are making that assumption on thier own. Dodge is not marketing this truck as such and has not been comparing it to a crewcab. Besides, the 1500HD crewcab is built on a 3/4 to chassis and badged a 1500 because chevy feels that the customer really wants to be seen in a truck but that 2500s are heavy duty "work" trucks. The only 1/2 ton crewcab on the market is the Ford supercrew.
This discussion has been closed.