Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram (2002) UNVEILED!

greg116greg116 Member Posts: 116
edited March 2014 in Dodge
The finalized 2002 Dodge Ram was unveiled today in a rather "unorthodox" fasion.

http://www.usatoday.com

-Click on "Cars" in the sidebar, and go down to the bottom, the story is there - "Chrysler unveils 2002 Dodge Ram". I can't provide a link because the URL is too long.

What do you think?

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Cab size appears to be on par with the F150 SuperCrew/Lincoln Blackwood, but maybe not quite the aize of the Super Duty crew cabs. Like the Dakota Quad, the doors are different than the regular cab. But the regular cab has a HUGE rear pillar. The rear door opens to nearly 90 degrees like the Dak as well.

Big plus: the shortbed Quad only lost 3 inches (from 6'6" to 6'3"), compared to the F150's 5'6". Nice big taillights, dual lenses that are each the size of the current single rear light. I'll guess this is a brake light up top, turn/hazard below. I do lament the change from a dual to single slider in the rear window. Jeep-esque big round headlight on each side, with a 3/4-circle turn/parking light on its flank (a PacMan shape).

The interior is very nice. The seats have adjustable head restraints (finally!!), and good side bolsters on the outside front seats. The 4x4 shifter is still on the floor, in the current "2H-rearmost" pattern. Power adjustable pedals should help those of you shorter in stature (or
    with significant others shorter in stature). White face gauges like the 300M dominate the dash, along wiht a redesigned center section with stereo and HVAC controls.

Apparently, the 5.7L V8 is not quite ready - the 1500's lineup will be the new 3.7L V6 (210hp), the 4.7L V8 (235), and the current 5.9L V8 (245).

Standard 1500 wheels will be 17-inchers. The 4x4 shown wore Goodyear Wrangler GS-A tires, and supposedly there will be an optional 20-inch wheel/tire combo (P275/55R20 - those should be fun to replace when they wear out). Dodge definitely addressed the brakes, though. My 3500 Club 4x4 has 12 inch discs and 13 inch drums. The new 1500 has 13 inch discs at all 4 corners, so I would expect the new HD trucks will have plenty of whoa power as well. As far as the 1500 4x4 going to IFS/torsion bars, I'm not happy about that, but the half-ton crowd is really a car-alternative market now, so they want ride over what hardcore truckers see as tried-and-true strength.

I happen to like the new nose, and they did keep the hood with attached grille. While some are criticizing the smoother sides from the door to the tailgate, they still have a DOdge look to them, and they don't look any more Chevy/Ford or any less Dodge. There's only so much you can do with a bed design without remaining the same or looking like a bad ripoff of someone else.

Can't wait to see the new 3500 Quad 4x4 now. Definitely looks like a 2003 or 2004 3500 Quafd 4x4 SLT, with the new Cummins ISBe and (hopefully) the Allison 1000 to replace the current baby-semi.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and FWI Message Boards
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Nice analysis. The two biggest issues here are the brakes and the engines. These new disks brakes should quiet the boo's in this area. The engines are a major disappointment. Thier big powerplant for the 1500 is the sma as '94 with the same poor gas mileage and not up to par acceleration. Another 2" in the rear would have been nice. It looks to put them between the chevy extended cab and the supercrew for space. The interior I'm sure is nice. Thier design department does well in that area. I should see the truck myself next week in chicago.
  • greg116greg116 Member Posts: 116
    Here's a better link:

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/autoshows/chicago2001/dodge/2002ram.html

Lets you see more than the front end anyways.

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    to the DC media kit, the new Ram Quad-Cab will also be available with an 8' bed. This has got to be a first for the 1/2 ton market.

http://us.media.daimlerchrysler.com/index_e.htm

I like what I see—a lot. I do wish that the full-time 4wd would be made an option, however. Also Jeep now has a 5-speed multi-speed automatic for the 4.7 Grand Cherokee; I wish this tranny was also available, instead of the 4-speed multi-speed unit.

Also, I was (am!) hoping for some of the creativity seen on the Chevy Avalanche's pickup bed/storage compartments make its way over to the new Ram.

I know Dodge was fooling around with a tailgate that folded out to a loading ramp (for ATVs, etc.). Does anyone know if this feature made its way into the new Ram?

Bob
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    As KCRAM indicated, my biggest dissapointment is under the hood. I wanted the 5.7 to make it in there. I have driven a Dakota Qual with the 4.7, and the performance is awesome, sounds great too. I just don't know how it will pull the full size Ram. Looks like the tranny is the same as in the current generation Dakota also. Hopefull it will be more durable than the current Ram trannies. I have heard a lot of bad things about them, but I have had no trouble out of mine, nor do I know anybody personally who has. Time will tell. I am definitely in the market for a true 4-door truck. The Dakota Quad is just a little too small when it comes to interior space, and the Ford supercrew seats are just way too uncomfortable. At least they have the adjustable head restraint. Very important at 6'-5". All I know is I'll be saving my pennies. I WANT ONE!
  • viperleviperle Member Posts: 31
    Oh my God! I can't believe how the 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 looks. The current model looks way better. The designers have gotten "fruity". I was hoping the it would look like the PowerWagon. This truck will not get them out of the red-ink.

I first bought the RAM in 1996 and loved it still, but last year I purchased a new truck from Ford (superduty) because they did not have a crewcab version. I was hoping to come back to Dodge, but after looking at the pictures...hell no! Keep it up Dodge....I will be force to change my loyalty to Ford!
    Aside from the exterior styling - which will definitely take some getting used to - I'm all for it! Front-opening rear doors, a larger extended cab, new engines (can't WAIT for the 5.7 Hemi!!!) and a FLOOR-MOUNTED TRANSFER CASE LEVER! HURRAAHHH!!!!! Good for Dodge! Thats where it SHOULD BE! I can't wait for this thing to hit the showroom! I'll be the first one there, to drool all over it!
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    If I didn't already have the dakota quad cab, this would have been my choice.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Anyone here on a waiting list? ;-)

Please note, the title was slightly altered so the word "dodge" is first. I did this so it would fall into proper alphebetical order for those who choose to set their discussions (preferences) in alphebetical order.

If you previously bookmarked this discussion, it will still work, but you may want to do so again so the bookmark will reflect the exact title name. Happy Motoring!

Pocahontas
    Host
    Pickups Message Board
    engines will debut with the 2003 MY.

Bob
    the rear doors look a little on the small side to anyone? To me, in relation to the huge front doors, they look a tad on the small size. I wonder how they measure up to the rear doors of other crew cabs?

Bob
    The truck is not a true "crew-cab". Dodge lengthened the cab 3-3.5 inches (i think) to accommodate 4 independently operating doors. Hopefully, a full blown crew-cab will be out in 03.
  • texaszachtexaszach Member Posts: 119
    As my needs have changed since I bought my Dakota Quad last May I was very interested to see what the new Ram will look like. There were a lot of bugs when the Ram was first introduced in 1994, as with any new model introduction, GM and Ford included. That, coupled with the fact that the new 5.7 Hemi will not show up until the '03 model run, tells me that when my Dodge dealer submits his orders next Wednesday that mine will be among them....for an '01 Quad Cab Ram. In two to three years, I'll order the new body style, with four doors and the 5.7 Hemi. Ah yes, something else to look forward to!
    This is dodge's way of splitting the market. They will have a cab larger than any extended cab and smaller than fords supercrew. Thier idea is that they can keep a 75" bed instead of ford's 65" bed. It's agood idea if they have enough room in the back to get away with calling it a crew cab. The heavy duty series due out in 2003 will not share the same body as the 1500 series. They may go larger on the crew cab then.
    Kind of reminds me of the Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, from a front-to-rear space standpoint. I just hope that the "B" pillar, unlike the Toyota's, doesn't get in the way in terms of entering and exiting the rear of the vehicle because of its smaller rear doors.

I do like Dodge's thinking on this Crew Cab vs. Extended Cab. I think this is a good solution. Certainly having a "B" pillar, as opposed to not having one—like the current crop of 4-door extended cabs, makes for a stronger cab. I also agree that the larger 2500/3500 models should get a larger "full-size" Quad-Cab, rather than this version. I can see Dodge marketers already thinking: "Grand Quad Cab" for those HD vehicles.

Bob
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    I am a GM boy by heart and I will be buying a new GM Crew Cab, but I do like the way that Dodge has gone with their "Quad Cab". It is a step in the right direction to redesign the truck that the overall length is no longer. The bed is a little less long but I believe it would still hold fully 8' boards with the tailgate down. The Pillar and 4 forward facing doors is a great idea for long term stability, safety and ease of access. I currently have a 1500 GMC ext cab and this would be a good thing for GM to look at also. I do feel that dodge should keep the new "QUAD CAB", and bring out a big crew cab that is as large or a little larger than fords. The 5.7L hemi sounds like a great motor and I hope it is. It is the competition amounst the truck companies that raises the bar continually and makes ALL our trucks better. It will take a little getting used to for me with the new front end, rear end and the 20" tires.

More power to Dodge.

I think I will stick with GM but keep raisin the Bar!

Hunter

PS they had better stick with cummins and get the Allison for it, it is a great motor that could be improved even more.
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b020701.htm

I think it looks good. I really like the 20" wheels. Anyone know what diesel will be offered, I've heard lots of rumors about a switch to a Cat or a Benz rather then the Cummings. Personally I think they got a good thing going with Cummings and why mess with a good thing. It could use an Allision transmission like the HD Chevy and a supercharged 2wd like the lightning. On second thought supercharge the Dakota and give the Ram a special Off Road package.

The new 4 speed auto IS the one with 5 actual gears (2 different 2nds) as in the Durango, Dakota, and Jeep. It will be available with the V-6 or 4.7 V-8. I bet the 5.7 will show up soon as will a even larger hemi V-8.
    According to the actual dimensions, the 2002 Dodge Quad is the exact same "stretch" as the F150 SuperCrew - 29 inches over a regular cab without rear storage. The previous Dodge Club/Quad was a 23.5 inch stretch. Traditional crew cabs (current GM and Ford Superduty, all previous body designs) are 34-37 inch stretches. The Dodge shortbed was reduced by about three inches, but the wheelbase grew by 2.

A quick dimensional table, comparing 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 shortbed models:

(2001/2002)
    Length -- 224.1/227.7
    Wheelbase -- 138.7/140.5
    Width -- 79.3/79.9
    Height -- 74.6/76.6

The longbed 2002 Quad gained 6 inches in wheelbase (154.7 to 160.5) since the bed was not shortened. Like the Dakota Quad, the rear doors open almost straight out from the body (85 degrees in the new Ram) to improve access, and the centar pillar has molded grab handles to assist rear seat passengers getting in and out.

kcram
    Host
    The new multi-speed automatic is the same as that used on the Grand Cherokee 4.7 V-8 through MY2000. The MY2001 Grand Cherokee gets an additional overdrive gear on top of the current ratios. It's a 5-speed with 2 different 2nd gears, for a total of 6 forward speeds.

To me, that transmission makes more sense in the new Ram, than the one that they're going to use. In any case, I'm sure the new auto tranny is an improvement on what it's replacing.

Bob
  • silv1500silv1500 Member Posts: 6
    not being a loyalist i think dodge is heading inthe right direction the truck looks more refined and is finally adding 4wheel dscs as for as the 5.7 hemi havent heard much about it. is it to be competitive with gms 5.3 and fords 5.4 motors? sounds like tranny improvements are well needed. as trans problem s seem to haunt dodge. over all i think its a big improvement for dodge.
  • LohengrinLohengrin Member Posts: 84
    It's good to finally see the new Dodge truck that everyone's been waiting for. The design doesn't look as different as I thought it would. It looks like a big Dakota - similar to the current design, but more sleak. According to what I read, it looks like the new Ram makes some advances in truck design which should give it an edge on Ford and GM, most notably side airbags, a good comprise between the extended cab (not enough cab space) and the supercrew (not enough bed space), and a five speed auto transmission.

I'm disappointed that Dodge got rid of a solid axle front suspension because it was a big thing that made Dodge 4x4's better than those from Ford and GM. Also, I think it was a mistake for the new Ram to debut without a new flagship engine to taut. The auto critics will certainly pick up on that and the reviews will be less than glowing. And when the new engine does make it out, it will have lost the marketing impact.

But anyway, nice truck and I hope it sells well.
  • gerardb58gerardb58 Member Posts: 4
    I currently own a 2000 Quad Cab, and I believe that Dodge has definitely gone in the right direction. Their restyle was more dramatic than the Silverado and will generate a good deal of interest in the coming MY. Let's see what Ford will do to freshen the F-150.
    So what is the real deal on this. I've seen on the Jeep boards at www.jeepsunlimited.com that the dealer can 'flash' the computer and get that extra overdive gear on the MY 1999 and 2000 Jeep GC's with the 4.7 to make them the same as the 2001. They seem to claim the transmission is the same and it was a matter of the software controlling the transmission. Is this 'extra' gear between 1st and 2nd or is it a splitter on the end of the transmission that with programming could split every gear? And on the 2001 it is programmed to split 2nd and 4th? Any service reps out there?
    The 45RFE is not a computer-controlled overdrive. There are actually multiple gear sets - two of which are called "Second". The lower ratio occurs when you upshift from first, the taller ratio occurs when you downshift from 3rd. It's been that way since the trans was first introduced on the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L V8.

The specific ratios are:
    1st - 3.00:1
    2nd upshift - 1.67:1
    2nd downshift - 1.50:1
    3rd - 1.00:1
    4th - 0.75:1

kcram
    Host
    Is a pushrod design, output is rumored to be around 350 hp and nearly 400 lb-ft. I can't wait. I hope it comes with an exhaust tuned to bring back the old Hemi memories...

If the Hemi is such a great design, why on earth did Chrysler stop producing them, and why wasnt the design copied?
    The new engines are called "Hemi" only from the hemispherical head in the combustion chamber. They have nothing to do with the old 426 Hemis of the muscle-car days. They are brand-new clean-sheet engines. Many automakers do indeed have hemispherical heads; Chrysler just has a marketing copyright on the name "Hemi" (like "Magnum")

By the way, you can buy the 426 Hemi as a crate motor from a Dodge/Chrysler dealer, as well as the even larger 472 and 528 Hemis. Bring LOTS of cash - list prices: 426 - $13,750, 472 - $15,500, 528 - $17,475. The 528, by the way, is rated at 610 hp and 650 lb-ft of torque.

kcram
    Host
    The '01 Grand Cherokee has an additional overdrive gear added. The bottom internal gear ratios are identical to those listed by KC Ram. They just added an additional gear on top.

I still think this would be a better tranny for the new Ram, because of the extra gear, than the one they selected.

Bob
    I'm sure many 1999 and 2000 WJ owners have had a TSB performed on their automatics giving them that 'extra' overdrive gear as well. Many were actually complaining about it trying to shift into the new 2nd overdrive too soon (about 55 mph). Another TSB helped cure the shift feel a bit but a couple of owners just wanted to go back to the old 4 speed. These owners only received an ECM re programming to achieve the '6-speed' not any mechanical changes. Check out this discussion:

http://jeepsunlimited.com/ubb/Forum19/HTML/000555.html

There were discussions about the TSB as well but I'd need to do more searching.
    No, that's not the case. The 1999-2000 Grand Cherokee multi-speed automatic, is different from the '01 GC multi-speed automatic.

The earlier version has 5 gears—2 second gears, one for upshifting and a different one for downshifting—for a total of 4 "usable" gears. Think of it as a 4-speed unit with 2 different 2nd. gears.

The new version has 6 gears—2 second gears, one for upshifting and a different one for downshifting—for a total of 5 "usable" gears. Think of it as a 5-speed unit with 2 different 2nd. gears.

Bob
    As Bob mentioned, the Ram trans and that used on the previous JGCs is the 45RFE (4-speed, level 5 torque capacity, Rear-wheel-drive layout, Fully-Electronic). The new JGC trans is the 55RFE. When the Hemis do arrive for the 2003 Ram, they will get Mercedes 5 speed automatics: W5A580 for the 5.7/6.1 V8, and W5A800 for the 8.3 V10. The three digit number in the Merc trannies represent torque capacity in Newton-meters, so they are serious overkill even for the Ram. The W5A800 is on par with the Allison 1000 in temrs of torque, although the Allison is specifically designed for diesel/low-rpm gasoline applications.

kcram
    Host
    The internal gear ratios of both the 45RFE and the 55RFE are identical. Jeep, on the 55RFE, simply added an additional overdrive on top of the existing overdrive—so that it now has two overdrive gears.

I also read that the new Jeep Liberty is getting the 45RFE too. Looks like this tranny is making the rounds at DC.

Bob
    The new 5.7 liter Hemi, featured in the Dodge Super8 Hemi concept vehicle, is rated at an estimated 353 horsepower and 395 lb-ft of torque. This from an engine that in comparison with the GM 8100 big-block, produces 33 more hp from a far smaller displacement - 353 vs 496 ci. Go Dodge Go!
    Lets hope those numbers make it into the production version!!!!!!!!
    This whole 45RFE and 5-45RFE transmission thing has been bugging me for some reason and the responses I got here didn't seem quite right. (thanks for getting me closer) A Dodge service tech said the 45RFE has ALWAYS had the extra overdrive built in as it was designed to go into many different applications (as we are now seeing). The Jeep guys didn't think they needed that extra overdrive in the Grand Cherokee but then they were getting a humming at freeway speeds. They made a computer reprogram 'flash' that activated the 2nd overdrive (thus calling it a 5-4RFE) and move the humming noise up over 70 MPH where it wouldn't be noticed. So I think we will see the truck type applications get the programming for a 45RFE (except the GC which developed the annoying hum) and cars get programmed for a 5-4RFE. He says the Transmissions are identical except in the way the computer controlls them. Why Dodge doesn't make them all 5 speed automatics for marketing reasons is beyond me, it seems like it would be a selling point.
    Why don't the engineers just get rid of the humming in the first place?

Bob
  • k0hbk0hb Member Posts: 89
    Looks like we wait till 2007 or so (if Dodge is still in business then).
  • chrydodjeep1chrydodjeep1 Member Posts: 13
    Yeah ! Congratulations Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth
    You did it, U Won ! Worldwide consumers have paid there hard earned money and you provided worldwide consumers with the worst Engineered vehicles on Earth...

Got to hand it to Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth you have Won beaten all your consumers.

Wise old saying you can't read a book by its cover :O)
    Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth great looking vehicle unfortunately for the unsuspecting consumer even to date Transmission failure, head gasket failure , too many more serious problems Etc...
    Just read this Newsgroup 2% Satisfied , 98% Unsatisfied . Surf the internet U will find 100s of thousands of Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle owners that are Big Losers. Telling there Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle Horror stories.

Now that Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth consumers have read the book by owning one of the worst Engineered vehicles on Earth. Consumers worldwide learned a costly but valuable lesson.

Now we have come to realize. Yes Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth they are the Winners.

Yep we the "Consumers of Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicles are the BIG LOSERS" !

Were losing vehicle trade in, Value its Awful.
    Quality Automobile Dealers don't want your Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle offering 50% of Galves Trade in if in Mint Condition.
    Even Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth Dealers are offering 50% of Galves. Now we are driving around in a nearly worthless Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle and paying for Major repairs :O(
    Its not going to get any better cause Smart Consumers are not Buying a New or even thinking of buying a used Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle.

We sure learned a Valuable Lesson > Never again buy Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicles. For those few Die Hards remember( Only a Fool Loses Twice )

Rejoice fellow Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle consumers now it is our turn to Win.

Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth your profits are gone, Stocks are dropping to an all time low Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth is just hanging on by a thread bankruptcy is near Hooray - Yeah !
    Now how does it feel to be a LOSER ! Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth :O)

Worldwide automotive consumers buy smart be a Winner don't become a Loser like the rest of us who owned or still own the worst engineered vehicles on Earth.
    Let Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth become the final Loser.
  • thecargonzothecargonzo Member Posts: 31
    Observations..

Dodge re-claims the "my Kenworth-style nose is bigger than yours" crown from the Ford SDs.

I guess those GM stylists who stated "well the Ram won't change much when it's re-done" were right. They said it when they took heat for the new Silverado/Sierra being not "radical enough."
    Wonder if the Dodge stylists will get the same grief.

BTW, two German guys crashing through a wall (at the intro)in a Pick-up?? I hate to say it, but with Deutschland's new, more restrictive fire arms laws, buying a "gewehr" rack back home will be tough!!!
    DC has received a fair amount of criticism with the new minivans, for being too conservative in terms of styling. So, I expect to hear it again regarding the new Ram.

The difference between the new GM pickups and the new Ram pickups, IMHO, is that, from the front, the new GM trucks look worse than the vehicles they replace, whereas the new Ram's front looks as good if not better than the vehicle it is replacing.

One more comment about styling (in general): Most comments—either good or bad—almost always are geared around the front or "face" of the vehicle. This seems especially true when it comes to pickup trucks, where the grille is so prominent. Occasionally you will see comments about the side, or rear, or interior, but mostly they are about the front. Next time you read any "styling comments" about any vehicle, think about that.

Bob
    Bob, you're correct, and the reason for that (especially on trucks) is simple. There's so little you can do with the rest of the truck's styling - it's a cab and a box, that the nose is really the only place a manufacturer can really express individuality. If you parked the Big Three pickups side by side, removed the emblems from the tailgate, and asked Joe Average to tell them apart from the rear, they'd still be standing there the next day guessing.

kcram
    Host
    The new Chevy Avalanche has shown that you can do a lot to the "box" to make it interesting and even more functional. From the fold-down mid-gate, to the storage compartments in the fenders, to the composite construction, to the side steps on the rear bumpers—aside from the silly sail panels—there's a lot of clever "out-of-the-box" thinking going on within this "box."

I'm hoping the new Ram will show some of the cleverness displayed by the Avalanche's work area. Although, from what I've seen to date, that doesn't look to be the case.

Bob
  • thecargonzothecargonzo Member Posts: 31
    rsholland,kcram,

I agree, the front of the vehicle is the key to truck styling. However, I've always disliked the Ram's tailights. The solid platic piece separating the top and bottom of the light made it appear "old" to me. Looks like DC fixed that part for 2002.

I think the new Silverado is a "rounding off"
    of the old truck. It's a toss-up to me. The new look on the Sierra is an improvement though, with the larger, shaped front headlights. The old one, though smoother and better looking than the Chevy, still looked too much like it. Do miss the "end of bed" taillights on the old sportsides, the new ones look too Ford..
    Regarding the Avalanche, that is really an SUV hybrid than a pickup. The bed is not separate from the cab. Even the SporTrac uses a fully separated bed unit from the cab. The Av is really a Suburban without the rear roof, and some of the items are to replaced the structural rigidity and stability that the roof would have provided.

Personally, i think it's best for a manufacturer to give a truck buyer a canvas to work with, and let them "paint" the truck that fits their needs best. You see people adding trailer hitches, lift kits, gearing changes, various shapes and configs of toolboxes, etc. There are very few people who buy a truck and are completely satisfied with a 100% stock truck.

kcram
    Host
    Is there any place to get actual specs on the 2002 pickup. I'm curious as to how the crew cab compares interior space wise with ford screw.
    True. The Avalanche is a hybrid, as well as the SportTrac. However, the ideas presented could be applied to any pickup.

The point I was simply making is that: forever, everything aft the cab on pickups was considered not worth developing. The bed area of most of today's pickups is no more advanced than those found on pickups 20 or 30 years ago. The Avalanche and SportTrac show there are indeed better ways to make that area more useful.

I have no problem with the bare-bones conventional pickup bed, but I also welcome (and encourage) the very clever ideas presented by both the Avalanche and SportTrac. I would love to see some of those new ideas applied to conventional pickups.

Bob
    I was at a Commercial Truck Show today in Baltimore, and to my surprise—the new 2002 Ram Quad-Cab was there. It's a real beauty!

While I couldn't sit in it, I was able to lean inside and play with the fold-up rear seat, tailgate etc.

The one they had on display was a red "Sport" short-bed Quad-Cab, with the 20" tires. The tires, Wranglers, had an off-center groove (like Aqua-Treads), as well as an All-Terrain tread pattern. It also had very HD tow hooks (finally!) on the front. Nothing much new in the bed area, except for some new tie-downs. Was able to get a "teaser" brochure on it.

Bob
  • chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    what were the new engines, If I remember when I looked at this thing when it first came out they were pretty weak, not par with the old Dodge, its just a matter of time before the new german managment (the chased all the American mangers out) will be putting their strong arm on these trucks. Its so sad, Dodge was doing so well.
    the OHC 3.7 V6, the OHC 4.7 V8, and the old 5.9.

Bob
  • chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    what were the new engines, If I remember when I looked at this thing when it first came out they were pretty weak, not par with the old Dodge, its just a matter of time before the new german managment (the chased all the American mangers out) will be putting their strong arm on these trucks. Its so sad, Dodge was doing so well.
    They had a 6.1 and a 5.7 hemi engine slated to go in. Now I understand that tey feel that the 6.1 is too close to the 5.7 and that will be dropped. The 5.7 will apear in 2003 because there were some design problems that cropped up and they felt that they needed the extra time to make sure the engine was right before releasing it.
This discussion has been closed.