Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Celica GT-S

celicagtscelicagts Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Toyota
I am 16 and I am just test drove the celica GT-S and I liked it. I want to know hats a good price. its a CelicaGT-S , alloy wheels, as, sports roof, -shift , leather seats. what is a good price for this? the dealer wants $26,500.

Comments

• celicagtscelicagts Member Posts: 2
    i am 16 and i am just test drove the celica GT-S and i liked it. i want to know whats a good price. its a CelicaGT-S , alloy wheels, abs, sports roof, E-shift , leather seats. what is a good price for this? the dealer wants $26,500.
  • melissamelissa Member Posts: 27
    To find out what other consumers are paying for this car in your area, check out our New TMV price. TMV stands for True Market Value and reflects actual transaction prices so you know what the car you want is currently selling for.
    Toyota Index. I am directing you to the index page because I don't know if you want to purchase a Automatic or manual transmission. Drill down to the vehicle you are interested in and then visit our pricing section. Hope this helps!
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802

Owner can compare notes..., and non-owners can see what it's like to live with this 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S with Edmunds.com's Long Term Road Test.

Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks Message Board

• newslvrnewslvr Member Posts: 1
    Dealers seem to have no problem letting fully loaded automatic GT-S's go for 500 over invoice. I got such a deal on a silver GT-S, but went with another dealer and got a black one for around 250-300 over invoice. Total price OD was 25,100. Loaded with everything but side airbags.
  • cocoabrococoabro Member Posts: 1
    In response to celicagts's message, you can get a much better price than $26,500. I'm not sure where you live, but I've been able to haggle dealers to below 23 for a manual, which, by the way, should be the only option for this car. Check around, don't seem too anxious, and never rule out the internet as a buying option. Cars.com and Carsdirect.com are some good sources, and make sure you know everything from the car's invoice price to the cost of extras when negotiating. good luck.
  • andonniandonni Member Posts: 7
    anybody konws..which one is better...
    and... can you explain a little bit..if you realy know it..
    thanks
    Does anyone know a site for after market parts and MOD ideas for the 2001's?
  • 00gts00gts Member Posts: 42
    Check out http://www.phronline.com/celica-mod-list.htm . Probably the most comprehensive list of aftermarket parts out there, plus they have great prices.
  • mc1665mc1665 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my new Celica GTS in Feb 2000 and paid 23,700 for mine. I did some haggling but I got what I wanted though. I got the 16" alloy wheels, leather seats, sun roof, spoiler, side air bag, cargo net, and the alarm system. Since that was a year ago, I think you can do better than that now. Good luck in your car shopping.

Sorry for the spelling error
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Good deals depend on where you live. Offer invoice and see what happens. Don't forget to add advertising, or they'll laugh you out of the showroom.
  • birdmasterbirdmaster Member Posts: 1
    Bought my '01 GT-S in February and the liftback wouldn't stay up very well, frequently falling down, or not even staying up when raised. The dealer reluctantly installed new struts and it didn't help a bit!
    Yesterday I noticed that the lower RH strut bracket was installed backwards, placing the pivot point forward several inches! I took out the two bolts and swaped it end for end--problem solved! The liftback raises with a lot more zest, and stays up easily.
    So if your Celica has a sagging liftback check the lower strut brackets. Each one should be stamped either RH or LH, and these letters should be right-side up. There is also a slight depression in the narrow channel where the pivot point sits when installed correctly. I let the dealer know and they figred since the new struts didn't help then the factory installed the bracket incorrectly and the dealer's tech didn't catch it when he swaped out the struts. Good luck.
    Does anyone know where i can get the website
    about 1995-1999 Mits. Eclipse's part website
    like change the parts...???
    thank you....
  • boomn29boomn29 Member Posts: 189
    I bought my 2000 Celica GTS last July for $21,838. It has everything but side airbags and abs. The MSRP is under 25,000 for this car, so DON'T GET SCREWED. The invoice is somewhere in the range of $21k - at least where I live.
  • badtoybadtoy Member Posts: 343
    if that's what you prefer. Remember, you're the one who's going to be driving this thing!

I've driven both for weeks at a time, and I prefer the e-shift for everyday driving. You just have to use it awhile to discover how sweet it really is. In my opinion, the gear spacing on the 6-speed is atrocious. I've heard they're taking a close look at it for the next model year.
    Yes, Toyota is 'revising' the transmission for the next model year. I don't think it has been announced wheather they will fine tune the 6-speed, or go back to a more reliable 5-speed. Anyone know?
  • jrieder_2000jrieder_2000 Member Posts: 19
    IF your going to buy a new car checkout Carsdirect.com. Their prices are the best I have seen. It's definetly worth a look!!!!
    But they're a good benchmark to go against.
    I'm going to purchase a gts within the next couple of weeks. I'm purchasing the automatic. Has anyone ever driven an auto GTS before? Is it powerful? Also I heard that at 6000rpms the engine really kicks in, how hard is it get the rpms that high. I guess you would have to use the sportshift feature to control the gears.
    I have a 6-speed GTS and it is a quick little car. Don't know anything about the sportshift. Does it allow you to redline?
    I would say a normal (gas-conservative) shift for the 6-speed would be a little over 3000 RPMS. This would put you in 6th around 60mph.
    There is a decent tourque point around 3800 RPMS and yes, the big one around 6500-6800 RPMS. I don't know if the sport shift will allow you to reach that or hold it though???
    I've shifted the e-shift manually many times, and it will wind the engine close to redline.

The second cam kicks in around 6000 rpm, which is why you get a big boot in the back at that point. The only time you use it is when you're merging into traffic or racing, and it's good to have it when you need it. The rest of the time, it's nice not to have to change gears when the 6-speed tells you to. The e-shift is much more flexible and real-world friendly, in my opinion. And I wouldn't have thought I would be saying that, except that it's true. I learned to drive with a 4-speed, owned four Alfas, a Lotus and two Road Runners, and I love manual shifting. But the transmission and shifter in the GT-S is just not engineered well, in my opinion.
    So If I'm going to buy an automatic, is it worth springing for the GTS?
    unless you'd rather wait for the Toysport turbo, which, combined with the cost of a GT, will run you about the same price as a GT-S -- and flat smoke it. I have the prototpe in my Corolla, and it is ungodly fast, smooth and user friendly. Kind of a sawed-off version of a Lexus GS400(minus the luxury and status, of course!).
    the GT is available with a lovely 5-speed, with nicely spaced ratios and smooth action. If you want the e-shift (or is it "sport shift"?), you have to spring for the GT-S, because it isn't available in the GT. And it's a nice piece, trust me. Try it and see.
  • roadroachroadroach Member Posts: 131
    Any word lately if there is a turbo out (or in the works) for the GTS? How your wife's GT doing?
    is doing great -- although it would be much nicer with a turbo!

XS Engineering did a turbo for the GT-S, but I hear they've had problems with it. It really isn't as good an application because of the higher compression and wilder cams. I think the simplest and most effective thing they could do in the short run would be to change the gear ratios and the VVTi programming.
  • roadroachroadroach Member Posts: 131
    Well, I had heard about their turbo several months ago but nothing since then. I guess now I know why.

Yeah, I would imagine that both the high 11.5:1 compression and the valve overlap would present some problems. If they could re-map the VVTi programming so the high lift cam kicks in around 5200-5500 rather than 6000, I think the various gear ratios could be left alone. The biggest complaint I've got right now is the apparent gulf between 1st and 2nd.

Maybe just a shorter final drive ratio would do the trick...8^)
  • wiwangwiwang Member Posts: 17
    My GT recently got totaled. Rear-ended by a little old granny who stepped on the wrong pedal. So now Im in the market for a new car. Im thinking of getting another Celica...this time manual. I'm drawn between the GT Manual (I'll save some money and I wont need premium gas), the GTS Manual, or an Integra GS-R. I really really want the WRX, but I dont want to be in that much debt...(although I THINK I might be able to get one at invoice price!)...

So any suggestions? Comfort and luxury is not a big issue...I am more concerned with fun and performance.

Thanks!
    WRX at INVOICE? Where?
    I'd go ahead and get the GT-S. Just be prepared to learn how to shift it smoothly. Or, get the GT with the 5-speed and get the Toysport turbo when it finally hits the street. (I'm all over Toysport about this, by the way -- it's time to stop fiddling with the fuel mapping and get on with the show.)

I've got 6700 miles on the turbo now, and it still runs smooth and strong. I love it.
  • ledoux1ledoux1 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me if the new Celica GTS handles OK in 3 - 5 inches of snow?

Thanks
    When is the new T model coming out?????????
    What is the difference between the new T and the GTS????
    Well, a sports coupe is not made to handle in the snow. Those V-rated tires handle ok for a FWD car, but nothing real special. A hell of a lot better than my '95 Mustang (not GT) did, that's for sure.
    I don't know where you think you're going to find a WRX at invoice. Let everyone know, because it's nearly impossible. Don't know why you'd want one - it's stupid looking IMO, but it's not my choice.
    You could get a GS-R now for $21k since it's the last model year. But, it's been the same since like '93 or whatever...
    The 2002 Acura RSX is due out is July. This is Acura's version of the GTS. Seriously, check out the inside, it's a rip off the Celica. Also, the styling is a bit plain.
  • wiwangwiwang Member Posts: 17
    I THINK (big emphasis on the think) I might be able to get a WRX at invoice. I have a friend who works for this company associated with Subaru of American and they can get Subaru's at invoice...but I dont know if it applies to new models...didnt ask her about it.

I think Im either going to get a Celica GT manual or an Integra GSR...hoping i can get a good deal (sub invoice???) for a GSR since the new integras are arriving. anybody know if it's possible? Im thinkig if the price difference between a fairly nice equipped GT (alloy wheels, weather package, power windows, alarm system) and a GSR is around 1000-2000 bux, I might go for the GSR...

anyway, didnt mean to raise any hopes on the invoice priced WRX ;)
    By "T" do you mean "Turbo"? If so, it will be available within the next 30 days or Joel and I are gonna have a serious talk about what it's gonna take to get him off his butt.

Sometime within the next three weeks the car will go to TRD for evaluation. Hopefully they'll get behind the program and produce it as a factory certified kit. If they do, that means emissions certification and a factory warranty. If they don't have the budget to adopt the program, it will still be available through Toysport. I wouldn't worry though -- this is a low boost kit and it hasn't shown any bad habits for over 9 months and 6700 miles.

Oh -- difference between it and the GT-S? Roughly the same price ($18k for the GT plus about $3k for the turbo), but WAAAYYYY more horsepower and especially torque. Way easier to drive, too.
    Is the turbo a kit or a whole new vehicle? What is a certified factorty kit? Do you simply add it to a GT or is it a whole new line of vehicles?
    Just like the supercharger TRD produces for the Camry, Solara and 4Runner. They're working on one now for the V8 in the Tundra.

A factory certified kit means the factory warranty stays intact. Without it (as with any aftermarket part), the factory can dissallow warranty repairs for engine damage that can be traced to the turbo. Emissions certification means you don't have to worry about having it smogged in states like California, where the emissions testing is super strict.

The turbo kit will be available for any car using the 1ZZ engine (meaning the Corolla, soon-to-be-introduced Matrix, Celica GT and MR2 Spyder).
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Please note, you'll now find a link to Edmunds.com's video of the Toyota Celica GT-S in the Additional Resources box on the left side of the page. Let us know what you think. Happy Motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks / Station Wagons Message Boards

Any word on the 2002 celicas?
    Does anyone know when they are coming out?
    What changes will be made on the cars?
  • chickenbanditchickenbandit Member Posts: 1
    Can I get a turbo kit for the solara se? i know i can get a turbo kit for the se v6.
    Does anyone know if there will be any changes made to the 2002 celica?
    in the Celica -- but that doesn't mean there won't be any. I imagine they'll be minor, though.

There is no turbo offered for the Solara. TRD offers a supercharger for the V6, but nothing for the 4. If you really want a turbo, have one custom made -- it'll run you about $4500 installed.
  • anna12anna12 Member Posts: 10
    jrieder-Have you checked out the description of the 2002 Celica T-sports? It's vague about availability, but interesting reading and pictures. There's a link from the larger celica discussion board (right side panel), though not from this one, yet. Anna
  • alex18talex18t Member Posts: 117
    toysport's price will be 3k for kit or for kit and installation and tuning? are there any toysport dealers/shops on the east coast? exactly what kind of problems could arrise from a turbo, not nescessarily a toysport turbo, but a turbo in the 1zzfe that would not be covered under warranty? thanks!
  • dawitner221dawitner221 Member Posts: 2
    My wife is looking for a new GTS and there are NONE to be found. Some salesperson told her that they are out of production in the GTS 6-speed because so many people have overrevved tghem and blown up the motor. What gives ? I cant believe the smart little guys at Toyota aren't smart enough to put a rev limiter in their motor to fix this "problem". Anybody got the answer ??????????
    any concerns with a low-boost turbo like Toysport's. It utilizes the stock ECU, and can be unbolted for emmissions testing if need be. Toyota engines are over-engineered, and adapt easily to forced induction.

Toysport is a west coast tuner that specializes in Toyotas. However, the kit will be able to be installed by anyone with normal mechanical ability -- or the speed shop of your choice.
  • griffinggriffing Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone know of an intake system available for the gts? All I know of is a TRD exhaust that adds 14hp. I want to put on intake as well, but if I did, how much hp would it add to it? The muffler I bought was $600, but I'm sure that intake will be smaller in price and in power.
  • dimitardimitar Member Posts: 4
    I checked Toysport web page but it doesn't say anything about Celice Turbo Kit.
    Do you know when it is going to be available?
  • theone1theone1 Member Posts: 1
    I knew someone who added something like a supercharger to a Honda Civic and the car made a lot of noise when the thing kicked in - it was when the car accelerated. I called Kazuma to inquire about any extra noise output and the tech claimed that the Solara would not make anymore noise (idle and accelerating) than a standard Solara. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. I like how quite the Solara is (in and out of the car).
    Thanks!
  • jk111jk111 Member Posts: 125
    cant find a celica gts manual right now, I don't know why Toyota made the decision on stopping the production just because of the close spaced tranny. Now I will have to look at other manufactures.
    We all know about the problem with over-revving by downshifting the new Celica's into the wrong gear. I have done it a few times...

Is there any word on some sort of recall?? I know there are not many of these, so the numbers don't add up to make an official recall probably.
This discussion has been closed.