Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• semlersemler Member Posts: 1
    had a blown head gasket, replaced gasket ran fine for awhile. My number 2 and 4 sparks both would foul out, replaced the intake gasket. stated fine idled good but had no power. Couldnt even spin the tires in a gravel drive! or go up a hill. Check the fuel pressure, only 30PSI at idle, replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump, no has over 40 PSI, but still no power. getting spark at all six plugs. Checks for vacuum leaks found none. Receiving no error codes. Any ideas???????
  • red721red721 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my 16 year old a 98 extended cab 4x4 with 93000 miles on it. It idles rough and bogs down at stop lights. What bothers me is we filled up with gas and went to pull out from the station and she had her foot to the floor and the truck wouldn't go. Like it wasn't getting gas at all. It finally caught and started going, but scared us to death. Have had oxygen sensor replaced already. This scares me as a 16 year old is not real experienced. Please help. It doesn't happen all the time but periodically.
  • jvbcjvbc Member Posts: 1
    My 16 year old son just got a 1995 2.3L Ford Ranger std trans given to him as his first car. Only 38k miles but it has sat idle for over 2 years. After a new battery, new plugs and wires, a new solenoid relay, and a new clutch it is working pretty good. However the airbag light and engine light is on. The 10 amp fuse for the airbag in the power distribution box was blown out. When it was replaced it blew out instantly. Its done that twice and I don;t want to ruin any more fuses. It won't pass inspection with the check engine light on. Any ideas on what is causing the airbag fuse to blow? Maybe the same reason the check engine light is on? Thanks for any help.
  • jmo4jmo4 Member Posts: 3
    I had this exact same problem with my 96 4.0 Ranger 4x4. It's hard to describe how I fixed it without a diagram, but I'll try.

The problem is one of the terminals in the headlight dimmer switch (the one controlled by the turn signal arm) gets hot, melting the plastic around it enough so the spring-loaded contact sticks. So, you have to unstick that contact.

First remove the turn-signal/headlight dimmer assembly by removing the covers above and below the steering wheel (three phillips screws under the steering wheel). The switch comes out via 2 or 3 star bit screws that thread in from the back (front of vehicle, if I remember right). Take apart the switch, I think it just snaps apart (careful, lots of little parts to keep track of inside, you might want to take a few pictures before you take itr all apart.). Clean all the contacts as best you can, and put a few dabs of dielevtric grease in there when you're done. Look for a white plastic peice that slides up and down in a slot of sorts against another part with with diagonally oriented copper contacts. This is the dimmer switch .... there should be 2 spring loaded contacts on the moving plate, one or both will likely have blackened plastic around it, and wont move freely when you press on it. Pop the contact out and use a small drill bit to ream out the hole so the contact can move freely again. Put everything back together (easier said than done, especially with large fumble fingers). Reinstall, plug in, cross your fingers, and try it!
  • timmymacktimmymack Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Ranger and usd to have the same problem at times. The front brake calipers are prone to rusting causing the brakes to not release. I remember times driving in 5th on flat grades, with the gas to the floor, and not being azble to do 55 mph. (My wife got stuck once in mud while in 4 wheel drive due to the same reason.) Ford has known about this brake problem, but won't do a recall because it affects virtually every one of their trucks, but have come up with a solution that Ford dealers service centers know about. I had mine done and have no more problems.
  • gbhosleygbhosley Member Posts: 2
    The engine light stays on continually.
    Replaced oxygen sensors - light went off(I disconnected the battery).
    Drove for about two hours with no light then put in park, put the air on and now the engine light is back on.
    Checked vacuum hoses for damage. New air filter,spark plugs and wires.
  • tgibbons65tgibbons65 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '88 4 wheel drive and need help unhooking the linkage to the transmission. All help would be appreciated. thank you, Tom :confuse:
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Have the code/s pulled that are causing the check engine light to be turned on.

Stop throwing parts at an unknown problem.
  • bird1036bird1036 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone else help for #1482? Please :confuse:
  • lcortonlcorton Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to find out what kind of transmission I have and the sticker on the door panel is not helping me. According to the Autozone website there are 3 types of trans. My truck is a 99 Ford Ranger stepside and the only letters I see on the sticker are TPR T A3 and these do not fit the Autozone numbers. Cn Anyone tell me if I am looking at the right numbers.

Thank you.
  • 02rangerdriver02rangerdriver Member Posts: 1
    Could anybody throw in their two cents on this problem? I have an '02 Ranger that will not turn over even with a good battery. When the key is inserted and turned, all the dash lights and headlights come on but the engine does not turn over. No codes were found when scanned. Could it be....

*Power Control Module?
    *Ignition Module?
    *Key?
    *Whatever the part is called that reads the Key's security code (pls advise)
    *Clutch Switch?

I am trying to avoid getting the run-around at the dealer and be able to drive to work on Monday! Thanks for your help
  • rizuprizup Member Posts: 1
    Did you check the starter solenoid? Could be the cause and should be fairly easy to replace.

Mike
  • nomad6878nomad6878 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '94 Ranger 4cyl, manuel I had the clutch and tranny replaced at the beginning of the year. Now I have this "chirp" sound and when I push in the clutch it goes away for a second then starts back up. There are no probs with shifting and my fluid in the reservoir is up to the level. I'm about to lose my mind over this. Any ideas? Thanks
  • jimbob510jimbob510 Member Posts: 4
    Start easy & work back-replace the fuel filter. Then check the pump flow. Last, the tank. Your library may have a copy of the Haynes manuel for this vehicle for the procedures.
  • mostlylucky2mostlylucky2 Member Posts: 7
    There is an anti-rollover switch which controls the fuel pump power, and is located under the front edge of the carpet on the passenger's side floor. It's mounted to the firewall with 2 screws. I had a connector come off of one of these and it shut down cold. There's a little ball inside that can pop out in case of a severe impact or really big pothole... if so, the plastic plunger comes out about 1/4 of an inch or so; it can be reset by pressing it back down; it's on the top of the switch. Good luck...
  • justus3justus3 Member Posts: 21
    Hello, my husband has a 98 Ford Ranger extended cab. It has been running fine with the exception of the engine light coming on occasionally. However the other day he was backing out into the street and the truck just quit on him. Tried starting and it turns over and runs, but it sounds like it is not getting any gas. He let it run for a few seconds the other night after having to get it towed home, and like I said it sounds like it isn't getting enough gas, then all of a sudden almost like a burst of fuel shot into it, it will run fine for about five seconds then start sounding like there is not enough gas again. He had replaced the fuel filter and that did not help. Could it just be the fuel pump, and if so where is it located and what is the easiest way to access it to replace it? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
    The fuel reset switch is at the right side of the passenger side foot well. You may have to pull the carpet back a bit to see it. Press the button on top.

I doubt that is the issue though, if the fuel reset was indeed tripped the engine wouldnt start at all until the reset was pressed.

I assume the engine cranks and you get spark but no love (check the spark plugs and ignition system if you haven't already)

Your symptoms have the smell of a faulty fuel pump, or a bad connection in the power supply to said pump. Unfortunately the fuel pump on Rangers resides in the top of the tank, so you have to pull the fuel tank to replace it. I would have someone run a 12 V power supply to the pump and see if the motor starts. If that works, check all connections leading to the pump. If it doesnt, your pump is cooked and will need to be replaced. My guess is that's a $300-500 job.
    That sounds a lot like a snapped timing belt to me.
  • dcosgriffdcosgriff Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Ford Ranger , the 4x4 will not engage, when it is in 4wheel its as though the front wheels are locked and the truck will not move, I know its not the brakes causing this but the best way to describe this problem is to say that the front brakes are locked. When this problem occurred a bracket on the underside of the transmission broke and the speedometer and milage counter stopped working also. :confuse:
    Well, its not the fuel pump like he thought. He went and blew $140 for a part he did not need. He says its just as well as it could go out someday but now we are back to square one without even a clue what it could be. I told him to just take the piece of junk into a mechanic because by the time he ever figures it out he will have spent an arm and a leg. Sorry if that sounds mean but sometimes his stubborness just gets to be too much. Sad thing is the day before the truck broke down hubby was bragging about how good it has been to him and how there have been no problems with it. I guess it heard him and decided to change all that. :lemon:
  • vman1vman1 Member Posts: 2
    I have just recently bought a 1999 Ford Ranger and it ran great for 2 weeks now my abs light is on I have to manually switch gears until it takes the higher gears. My wipers go on and off for no reason and my radio changes from cd to radio on its own. Does anyone out there have these same problems or a possible soulution for my problems. This is the only vehicle I have so I can use any advice.
  • vman1vman1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 ford ranger and the wipers go off for no reason and my radio changes from cd to radio then back for no reason. My over head light will not go out and I'm very disappointed in this vehicle. Have you found any way to fix this with out spending more money than the truck is worth????!!!!!!
  • mangumemangume Member Posts: 2
    am looking for replacement dashboard guages for my 1984 ford ranger truck.want to replace all guages as they are suddenly going up to max readings and then suddenly returning to normal while i am driving.they all will go up and peg out all the way over beyond their markings.fuel gage will not read a full tank of gas and is 1/4 off.temp guage will only read lower quarter between bottom line and top of m letter.will go no higher except when it peg out beyond hot line at top with all the rest of the guages at the same time.
  • joechampjoechamp Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Ford Ranger with a five speed manual transmission. About once a month, it will not start. The fuel pump runs for a few seconds when I turn on the switch and the fuel pump seems to be working properly.

When I pull one of the spark plug wires from the distribute there is no arc.

If I push the trunk and pop the clutch, it starts and I will not have any more problems for several weeks.

Does anyone have any ideas about what is causing this?
  • brysuebrysue Member Posts: 35
    Get some electronic cleaner spray and clean the MAF sensor. Locate the sensor and spray it real good.
    Haven't been here in a while and just wanted to know how your truck was doing. Hope everything is well. I know how it is when your vehicle is not running correctly. :)
  • ringa1ringa1 Member Posts: 4
    hello,
    does it start, when its cold ?
    and sometimes won't start when its warmed up? or does that even matter?
    ABS - really need to have the codes pulled for this one. It could be the sensor that is in the read differential housing is bad. I would have the code checked, but if you want to throw a part at it......

Mid 90's Rangers are known for bad 'multi-function switch'. This is the turn signal, high beam, etc switch in the column.

Radio - who knows. The radio is pretty self contained, so it should be in the radio...
    Interior light - Well known problem with Rangers. The switch is inside the door, on the inside of the outside door handle. This switch is failed or just dirty. You need to remove the door panel and trace the wiring to the switch. The switch can be cleaned with Electrical cleaner in come cases, sometimes it needs replaced.
  • kbloxkblox Member Posts: 5
    There is a small voltage regulator on the back of your instrument cluster, it sounds as if it has gone bad. Plugs in like a ninevolt battery
    My ranger just started doing this and it is intermittent. Runs like it is going out of gas, no power then it picks up if I give it more throttle, but at constant spead it tends to buck again like it is running out of gas. Just had it scoped, nothing wrong according to machnic but it was running alright then, had it full tunned up anyway.. Just started again. Could there be something wrong with the fuel pump? How could I tell.
    What is the MAF sensor and where is it?
    1987 Ranger. Where is the relay located and what does it look like.
  • 98fordranownr98fordranownr Member Posts: 4
    Doesn't turn over when started. The interior lamp,radio and key in ignition beeper work until the last turn of the key to start the igntion or until I turn the headlights to the on postion (the lamps don't shine). I checked fuses, cleaned batt cables--could it be weak battery (it's at least 7 years old).
  • rmarlowrmarlow Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Ford Ranger XLT extended cab. I am having a problem with my speedometer, it does not work till you are going over 30MPH and will stop working if you slow down below 30MPH. Someone told me that I have an electronic Speedometer and that it might be the sensor that is going out. I don't know where to go Chiltons book does not cover it in the book. :blush: :sick:
  • bristlybristly Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 Ranger 2.3 5speed and I had the clutched replaced about 3 years ago
    about 9 months ago something went wrong I don't know if its the clutch or what
    when I start the truck I can put it in any gear and it wont engage I don't even have to push in the clutch I can just put it in gear and nothing happens it don't even stall
    Is this a bad clutch or does it have a problem with the linkage
    any help would be great
  • eschattseschatts Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4. I swithced it to four wheel drive yesterday to drive up a set of ramps to change the oil. After I drove off the ramps I tried to put it into 2wd again. I turned the switch on the dash to 2wd but it refused to shift out of four wheel drive. I have tried everything I can think of.
    Has anyone else had this problem or can you give me some advice.

Ed
  • aaftabaaftab Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 Ranger XLT extended cab also. A few months back, my speedometer had same problem. After few phone calls at the FORD dealership, I found that there are two sensors that control speedometer. One is located on the Transmission and the second one is on the rear end. If your ABS light is on since your problem began, you have to replace the one on rear end. If it's just the Speedometer, it's the sensor on the Transmission. The cost from a FORD dealer is about $ 28.00 in small town in Alabama. Replacement is very easy, there is only one bolt holding it down. Once the bolt is loose and removed, you have to wiggle it little to get it out. Good Luck. :)
  • heideheide Member Posts: 2
    WE HAVE A 1998 FORD RANGER 2.5L-PROBLEM IS EVERY NOW AND THEN WHEN SLOWING DOWN OR AT A STOP THE REV GOES WAY TOO HIGH- I HAVE TRIED HITTING THE GAS FAST THEN LET GO BUT THE REV STILL IS TOO HIGH- SOEMTIMES THE RPM IS @ 4000 THEN GOES SLOWLY DOWN VERY SLOWLY TO 2000- i HAD IT @ THE SHOP BUT THE MECHANIC THINKS IT IS EITHER THE PCV OR THE CONTROL SENSOR-I EVEN TRIED READING THE COMPUTER BUT IT DOESN'T SHOW ANYTHING,, CAN ANYONE GIVE ME A HINT SO I CAN ACTUALLY GET THE TRUCK WORKING PROPERLY THANKS :confuse:
  • warptenwarpten Member Posts: 1
    Turn signals work normally only with no other lights activated
    Also, no reverse lights come on when in reverse. This is a 2000 Ranger w/34000 miles. The emergency flashers work at all times. I replaced the rear bulbs and checked all the fuses. So the turn signals work fine until I step on the brakes or turn on the parking or headlights. This is confusing.
    Has anyone seen this before? Thanks for any help.
  • wjs32wjs32 Member Posts: 1
    The other day I stopped to fill up and when I restarted the 4x4 light came on the dash 4x4 button as well as the dash message panel. So I shut the truck off and restarted and the lights were out. The next day, after driving then turning the truck off and restarting the lights are now back on - along with the Low Range lights. They will no longer go out when the truck is restarted and the truck is certainly not in four wheel drive, the lights just say that it is, however in this condition, I can't turn the lights out or actually engage four wheel drive. If anyone has any information on this I would really appreciate it.
    My 87 ranger is acting exactly like yours did minus the engine light. Did you ever find out what was wrong with yours.
  • waregle4985waregle4985 Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Ranger is having transmission problems. When I start the truck the ABS light comes on. When I put the truck in Drive and then get a few hundred feet up the driveway the Check engine light comes on and the Overdrive off (O/D off) light starts flashing. When this occurs the transmission starts acting funny as if it doesn't know what gear it wants to go into. Anybody have any ideas? :sick:
  • 98fordranownr98fordranownr Member Posts: 4
    WD-40 in the switch area will solve the problem for years, it did in my case anyway
    Mass Air Flow sensor. It is located somewhere after the air filter in the air intake path. I have a 97 and it is just after the air filter. There are a couple wires running to it. Your best bet is to spend about 12 to 15 dollars and buy a Haynes or Chilton manual for your year model truck. It will tell you everything.
    Do you have the air conditioning running when this happens?
    The sensor for ABS in the rear differential causes such symptoms.

If you just want to throw parts at the problem without have the codes checked, which you said are being set, them replace this sensor. It's pretty easy to replace.
    We just got the truck back today. It purrs like a kitten now. Apparently it was some kind of air flow sensor gone bad. After $400+ for parts and repair work, the problem seems to be taken care of. Keeping in mind though that the $400 includes money spent on an a fuel pump we didn't need and two trips with the tow truck. The actual price for the repair itself was only about $180.
    Clean the MAF sensor and see if that works. Electronic cleaner works well. If that does not work, replace it. You can do this yourself and save on labor cost.
  • weldewelde Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a response to this problem as well. The starter will not turn at all. Have you replaced your starter? I did with no luck. They also replaced some wiring and the nuetral switch. The truck ('99) has been back to Ford three times and they can't fix it.

Mike