Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• larcrillarcril Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 ranger. I just had a rebuilt motor installed and now I have other problems. The re builder installed a new starter solenoid because the truck would not start. After the installation the truck still does not start but can be jumped out at the solenoid, sounds like the ignition switch is shot. Then last night before I could change the ignition switch the headlights would not work but the cluster lights came on. I turned the high beams on they worked just fine until I tried to turn them off! The switch operated but he lights stayed on. I had to pull the fuse to get them off for the night. Since the ignition switch and the multifunction switch are in the same column could they have burned up together or do I have other problems? Please help! :confuse:
  • sbalestrosbalestro Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Ranger 3.0 liter that has started to run rough and now the check engine light has come on. Any ideas?
  • 94ranger94ranger Member Posts: 1
    I was having a similar problem with my 94 Ranger and the mechanic suggested replacing both the Fuel Pump Relay and the PCM Power Relay. It has only been a couple of days but I haven't had any problems since. They are the bottom two relays on the right side of the fuse/relay box...
  • ledlespaulledlespaul Member Posts: 4
    Okay i have a 1993 ranger 2.3L and the fuel injectors are not getting currant HELP!! its driving me insane i need some satisfaction
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Hi guys and gals: Can anyone tell me the year that the current 2.3 L Mazda engine was first put into the Ford Ranger?
    i think the first year was '93
  • carguydavecarguydave Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1998 ford ranger 4x2 extended cab, and I have been having a problem with a noise that sounds like a foghorn or a deep humming noise from the intake near the air filter, that is intermittent at idle. Occasionally, the engine will surge when I accelerate while it is humming, but usually not. I thought it might be my mass air flow sensor, but it does not look bad at all. There are no air or vacuum leaks in the intake, the seals all seem good, and there is nothing caught in the intake that would seem to be causing it, also it is completely random. There is no rhyme or reason to when it occurs. I did recently move to Houston, TX (HOT and HUMID) from Colorado/Wyoming. This started as I pulled into town. Any Ideas?
    This has happened before on my 1998 Ranger 4.0L, I replaced both purge solenids, checked the wiring, and could find no leaks in the hoses that are part of the system. The light stayed off for several months, but now is back on. Stll no obvious problems upon inspection, but my mileage seems to have dropped 5 MPG. Any ideas?
    My 1998 Ranger 4.0L keyless entry does not work. I replaced the batteries in both remotes and reprogrammed them to the truck. But I cannot get them to work at all. The one remote is sort of old, but the other is pretty much brand new. They used to work fine, and then they slowly started not working. For a while, they would do everything except what you requested. Any thoughts?
    1993 ford ranger is not getting currant to the fuel injectors the radio also will not work i was thinking it is possibly in the ignition switch?
  • totheendoftimetotheendoftime Member Posts: 14
    It was introduced mid year 2001. I remember this well since I waited and waited and waited just to find out that they were only going to offer it on the striper trucks. All I wanted was the 2.3 a/c and the hinged rear doors.

I had to get a loaded truck with the 4.0 to get those darn doors.

Don't get me wrong I love my 4.0 but the 2.3 mileage sure would be nice now.
  • hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    Are you sure you reprogrammed it correctly. You have to turn the ingnition from off to on without starting the engine 8 times and then the doors should lock. You then push the unlock button on the fob and then do the same thing for the other key fob right after the first one and they should work. I believe the instructions are in your owners manual.
    I really believe that it was introduced before 98 Maybe 94-95 my friend has a 97 and complains about haveing to have 2 plugs per cylinder. I know you can't get the 2.3 with the 4 doors. As far as the doors go I think you got taken as I have a 98 3.0l Super cab with the four doors this was the first year. In fact I was just looking at a new 05 super cab with the rear doors with a 3.0l engine.
    okay so now i know its not the ignition switch now i am thinking it could be the powertrain control moduale
  • jdyergjdyerg Member Posts: 1
    I have an 87 Ford Ranger that I just bought. It has a fairly new clutch, but the master cylinder ran out of fluid. I filled it back up, and have repeatedly checked it over and over, and it is not leaking fluid. My problem is that now the clutch will work perfectly until about an hour of driving. When the truck heats up the clutch pedal gets soft, and it begins to slip. Do I have air in the system? What can I do? Please help!?!
  • heideheide Member Posts: 2
    no there is no a/c on the truck just revs at intermitten times not always but just sometimes.. revs from 2 to 4 on stand still stays at 2 then goes up on own to 4 .tried kicking down but doesn't make difference, no idea any ideas what is wrong? :confuse:
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    The IAC Idle Air Control valve is bad, probably just needs cleaned.

This is a cylinder, usually silver and black. About the diameter of a 35mm film cartridge, and about twice as long. On left side on intake. Has a couple of wires going into it.

This is just a solnoid and valve which meter air into the intake for idle control. It can be removed (2 bolts) and cleaned, use car cleaner on the valve part. Do not get carb cleaner into the electronic end, it will eat up the coil in there. Be careful removing and do not damage the gasket.

If cleaning does not fix it, you need to buy a new one. About $60??????
    Actually there are two 2.3 liter engine. The first one was introduced in the 80's and was placed in Ranger until 1997. In 1998 the engine grew to 2.5 liters. Ford introduced the current 2.3 liter mazda developed engine half way threw the 2001 model year.
    hciaffa wrote:

(I know you can't get the 2.3 with the 4 doors. As far as the doors go I think you got taken as I have a 98 3.0l Super cab with the four doors this was the first year. In fact I was just looking at a new 05 super cab with the rear doors with a 3.0l engine.)

Nope atleast not in the 2 wheel drive models. I've owned a 2001 and currently have a 2002 and in both years if you wanted the 4 doors in a 2 wheel drive you basically had to get a loaded truck with the 4.0 liter. Atleast in 2002 they added limited slip though because it was kind of scary driving the 2001 in the Washington rain sometimes
    I haven't checked the IAC yet. That is a good idea. Sounds like you have seen this before. Thanks for the advice. I will take a look at it.
    Yes. I programmed it right. I followed the instructions in the owners manual, but no luck. I was just wondering if anyone had seen the problem before and whether it is simply a bad remote key control module/reciever or if maybe there was something simpler and cheaper. Thank you though.
  • 98racing98racing Member Posts: 1
    my 1996 ranger is doing the same thing , so no i dont think it would be the fuel pump because i just put a new one on my and it still does it,
  • rangineerrangineer Member Posts: 4
    I have not removed the bed, but my 1991 4WD Ranger fuel gauge also stopped working. I estimate fuel level by the trip odometer. Let me know if you fixed the fuel gauge and what the problem was...
    My 1991 Ranger 2.9L 5-speed manual has the same problem, though I have never replaced the clutch. No warning signs, just one day the pedal will not disengage the clutch. I can start in neutral, hot shift (grind a gear) and go. Or I can start the engine in gear and go. The clutch is definitely staying engaged at all times. Reservoir at the fire wall has fluid, no signs of leakage or broken line. Not sure if it is a slipped pedal linkage, or problem with the master cylinder, or something else... let me know if you solve the problem and what it was.
  • 98fordranownr98fordranownr Member Posts: 4
    My battery cables were corroded worse than I thought although I scrubbed them with a solution of baking soda. The corroded cables weren't allowing the 8 yr. old battery to be recharged by the alternator and the battery went dead. Ended up, I had to sand paper the cable terminals till they were a shiny copper, as well as, buy a new battery.
  • mrchris1mrchris1 Member Posts: 1
    I could use some advice. I'm looking for a pick up. I just looked at a few Rangers. The 96 has a 4WD High and a $WD Low. Since there is no manual I want to ask a stupid question. When do you use the High and when do you use the Low?
  • oldman1oldman1 Member Posts: 1
    My son wants to know can you convert that 2.3 ford motor that has 8 spark plugs back to one that uses 4? and, while Im asking...is that motor going to fit in his 90 model mustang...it also had a 2.3, only it had the standard 4 spark plugs.
    thanks in advance for the help.
    Carolyn Oldman
  • brysuebrysue Member Posts: 35
    Clean the MAF sensor with electronic cleaner. If this does not work then it may need to be replaced.
    The IAC may need to be cleaned or replaced. Get yourself a Chilton manual. You can get the manual at an auto parts store. It will give you problems and possible solutions. They cost about 13 to 15 dollars and are worth every penny.
  • mono1029mono1029 Member Posts: 1
    Hey All, I just bought this Ranger, and it runs great until I "pound it" a little and then it begins to blow black smoke, won't idle and won't sustain a steady speed - as if running out of fuel. I read some of the other posts, and there was the reference to the "feeling of it running out of gas". There was also a reference to the MAF sensor - like I said, just got the truck and I don't have a manual, so the question is: Does it sound like the same MAF issue? if so, where is it located?? Much thanks for any help! Have a good one!

FYI... Gasoline in our area has recently hit a $1.00 a litre - a litre is slightly smaller than a quart. that would be about $3.80 a US gallon.
    good instructions on how to bleed the air out of the clutch hydraulic line: ;)
    link title
  • fordman10fordman10 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 92 Ranger and cannot get oil to the top of the motor or the lifters. However, there is pressure in the lower portion so I know it is not the oil pump. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!
    low range is for going slow, usually when off road or on poorly maintained roads, like when crawling slowly up a mountain trail where you have to pick your path around ruts and rocks and logs and stumps

high range is for higher speeds (but no more than 45 mph), when the road conditions are slick and require better traction
    "My son wants to know can you convert that 2.3 ford motor that has 8 spark plugs back to one that uses 4? and, while Im asking...is that motor going to fit in his 90 model mustang...it also had a 2.3, only it had the standard 4 spark plugs.
    thanks in advance for the help.
    Carolyn Oldman"

Nope all though the engines may be similar in size they are to totally different engines. As for it fitting in his Mustang. You now what they say. If you have enough money you can make just about anything fit. I'd be a whole lot easier to to just go find an older 2.3 or even a 5.0 since there are so many kits for them.
  • mojo2gomojo2go Member Posts: 1
    If it has the 2.9 litre engine, I'd replace the fuel pressure regulator and install a new set of plugs.
    The MAF sensor is located just after the air filter. If you know what a resistor looks like, you can locate it easily. Spray it with electronic cleaner.
  • stroud1124stroud1124 Member Posts: 4
    I am having very similar issues with my '99 ranger. The ABS light came on and now my truck shifts real hard from first to second. Did you replace the sensor? If so, did it help, and what all does it take to replace the sensor? Thanks.
    Rule number one...never drive it on a dry road and take corners, you damage the system. I have driven straight forward and reverse in my driveway in the summer months to engage the system to allow for lubrication of the system.
    the 4hi is the system you will use the most. In snow mud and such and for 4lo you use that to drive slow on old tank trails and rocky trails that you will manuever slowly. I have driven in 4hi in heavy rains for the safety and traction but you have to be careful in taking corners, nice and wide and not sharp as the system will bind on you and it will let you know. by the way you can engage the 4 hi while driving below 35-40 mph as well as disconnecting it. For 4lo you must be in park ( or neutral not sure its been a while since I used it) and your foot n the brake to turn it on and you must come to a stop to turn 4lo off. Hope this helps
  • gitrdunsnidygitrdunsnidy Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if you got this fixed or not. But, it could be a couple of things, it could have died and blown the timing belt because of a stuck open injector. That inj. could have filled the combustion chamber enough to have hydrolocked the piston and that could have blown the timing belt. Sounds crazy but, seen it before. You would have noticed bad fuel economy, smell of raw gas, and the oil would have probably been loaded with fuel. Also having a dead plug in that cylender could have done the same thing almost or added to the problem. Maybe that will help send back if you got it fixed with what was wrong.
  • fordrocksfordrocks Member Posts: 1
    Strange Issue - After being engaged in 4low my rear wheels want to drag, a short drive free's them up, but I find it strange, any ideas? Any concerns?
  • thomas880thomas880 Member Posts: 2
    New to the message boards and I find all the information and insight very rewarding. I just bought a 92 Ranger from a guy who got it for his 19 year old son. It was used as a farm truck which means they beat the daylights out of it fortunately I came along and now I'm turning it into a street cruiser. I replaced the windshield rims and tires with 245/45ZR18's Vetus Sport low profile tires with Monroe shocks I'm going to replace the bumpers and I am yet debating on pulling out the 16 points of impact around the body or replacing parts. Previous owners replaced the 4cyl engine after 103,000 miles with a 6 cyl. So far all I've had to do is change the oil, oil filter, and air filter. A/C needs work and the rear window needs to be replaced I don't like the rear window opening. Thinking of repainting it blue with black racing stripes. It's brown with beige interior that will be repainted black and blue. All she needs is a little TLC and a tinted sunroof. I'll also put in a spray on bed liner to carry my scuba equipment. My first car was an 82 merc capri and my second was an 83 Buick Riviera, this is my first truck and I think it's better than anything I have owned to date. :)
  • stroud1124stroud1124 Member Posts: 4
    '99 Ford Ranger--My ABS light recently came on and at the same time my truck started shifting real hard between first and second. Are the two issues related and what can I do to correct the matter? Thank you to anyone that can help.
  • dangreerdangreer Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 98 ford ranger, 2.5liter, 4 cylinder, 5 speed, with 85k . I drive through a lot of country roads that curve up and down only slightly and not every long. When I try to just keep it at 55 or 50 depending on the speed of traffic the engine will start to make this terrible gurgling and clicking noise. It makes the noise in both 4th and 5th gear. I'm not mashing down the pedal, I just push it in a little more then if I were driving on a level surface. The truck is able to keep up the speed but it sounds terrible. I usually put in 87 octane gas and I tried to see if it was bad so I put in full a tank of 89 octane gas from a different gas station but the problem still exists 4 days later. I drive this truck every day about 45 miles.
    I would appreciate any help or advise.
    Thanks in advance Dan
  • jeff94rangerjeff94ranger Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 ford ranger with a 3.0 V6. the truck only has 69,500k, I'm leaking transmission fluid from the front seal, SOMETIMES.... I only leak fluid when i'm driving on the interstate and the automatic trans. has to downshift to get up hills or speed up. I'll pull over and let it cool, and go again and it will stop leaking for awhile. if i'm on a normal road going 55 or so it will not even leak... I don't want to replace the gasket if it's not leaking all the time like a bad gasket should. I'm stumped
  • gisgurugisguru Member Posts: 1
    The VSS is on the top of the rear end housing. It is held in place by one 3/8" bolt. The VSS is about $8.50 at the parts store and $30.00 at the Ford Garage.
  • 1768417684 Member Posts: 1
    #1584 of 1586 Replacing a 99 Ranger Drivers side mirror by 17684 Aug 25, 2005 (5:51 pm)

I was unlucky enough to find out that I could not access the mirror assembly through the door...I have already bought a replacement drivers side mirror and would like to know how to go about replacing it?

Do I need to cut through the metal inside the door, or can I go at it through the outside?

Any help is appreciated..
  • rangerairrangerair Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like it was your Idle Air control valve. I found one for about 45.00 online, install took about 2 minutes.
  • smittensmitten Member Posts: 1
    My mothers 96' Ranger just died in town this morning. She pulled to the side of the road for a passing emergency vehicle and when she put it in first to return to the road it just...died. No popping of the clutch.. She tried to restart it and although the turned over...it wouldnt 'catch' and start. She rolled into a parking lot and retried to start it. Same thing...wouldnt 'catch'. Then she saw the light "FUEL RESET'.
    Can we just hit a reset button? I hate to leave her truck in town for long, and on a friday night ...ugh.
    Any ideas what would have caused this? :confuse:
  • gatoroid37gatoroid37 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 95 ranger and have a gas mileage problem...i replaced the o2 sensor and the plugs but the mileage only increased to 225 mi per tank when it used to be 300-350mi per tank. at its worst it was getting 165 mi per tank before repairs. i have an 18 gallon tank in my 2.3, what kind of mileage are you getting and do u know if the mass air flow sensor causes mileage loss.wondering if thats my problem with my truck
  • kenm21kenm21 Member Posts: 1
    I experienced exactly the same problem on my 99 Ranger yesterday. Initial diagnosis from a transmission shop is that it will require a rebuild. No mention of why the ABS went out at the same time. I have to get the rev's up to 3500 or so for it to get it out of first. They think my 2nd gear has failed (electronics, gaskets?) but need to take it apart to know for sure. I am questioning this. Let me know what you find out and I will do the same. 99 Ranger 3.1 litre V6.