Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wookie1wookie1 Member Posts: 116
    your flasher unit will also cause the turn signals to stop working. i would say thats what the problem is. hope this helps!
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Yes, and your flasher unit is usually attached to the fuse panel, a quarter sized round aluminum plug in unit. Find and replace that, and you are probably back in business.
  • cryintimecryintime Member Posts: 1
    the speedometer,wipers,domelight all quit at the same time,they work when the key is in the on or acc position but will not work when truck is running.When I unplugged the RABS sensor on the differential they would not work at all so i replaced that sensor but still they dont work when truck is running. Its a 1998 ranger 2wheel drive manual trans 4 cyl please help
  • robtlnj97robtlnj97 Member Posts: 2
    I know my '04 Ranger uses Mercon V, DO NOT MIX Mercon with Mercon V.
    There is no cabin filter in these vehicles.
  • gsimms81gsimms81 Member Posts: 1
    I put new brake shoes in a 1998 ford ranger splash and I noticed the rear pass. side shoes were worn on the tops...The parking brake cable is too short and is putting pressure on the top of the shoes where the linkage fits into the brake shoe. Is there an adjustment on the parking brake cable?
  • rangernoobrangernoob Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98, 2.5L, with a hole in my catalytic converter. If I decide to replace rather than repair, is that something a novice can do ?

Also, I have been looking for good references or a step-by-step guide, but am having trouble finding easy to understand information suitable for a mechanic like myself. Anyone have a good suggestion?
  • gasgas321gasgas321 Member Posts: 6
    DON'T QUOTE ME ON THIS, BECAUSE I HAVEN'T HAD TO ADJUST ANY RANGER PARKING BRAKES, BUT ALL OTHER VEHICLES I HAVE HAD TO ADJUST ARE USUALLY AT, OR NEAR THE ACTUAL LEVER.. I.E. THE EMERGENCY BRAKE HANDLE IN A CAR OR THE FOOT PEDALS IN THE RANGERS...
  • jamccurriejamccurrie Member Posts: 2
    I have been looking for a harmonic balancer for 92 ford ranger with a 2.3 l, 4 cylinder. I have tried every resource I have. Everyone is out of stock. New or used, i dont care. Can anyone help?
  • drewglenn04drewglenn04 Member Posts: 1
    I have the thump/clunk problem when stopping and taking off. I read a thread about drilling a 7/32 hole into my split yoke near the front u-joint and then installing a 1/4" grease fitting so I can grease the spline yoke....would this be the yoke between the rear end and the u-joint back the furthest?

Here's what I read:

"Please post this everywhere you can. Here is the solution and it doesn't invlove driveshaft replacement or removal. Drill a 7/32 hole in your split yoke close to your front u-joint(so you don't drill into your splines). Purchase a 1/4x28 grease fitting 1/4x28 tap. Install grease fitting and inject heavy duty grease into your driveshaft. This will coat your splines. Do not overfill or you will rupture your boot that covers your 2 piece connection. Easy to do and if driveline slop comes back, get the grease gun out and recoat in minutes. Worked great on my 2000 extended cab."
    i used to have one for a 93 ranger 2.3 don't know if i still have it or not. i will look through my parts and see i kept a few things my email is starcar33@yahoo.com i live in Ruskin,Florida
  • joorjoor Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 ranger that won't start sometimes after it has been driven. Once it starts it will run fine. Sometimes I shut it off and it will start right up. Other times it only cranks. Battery new, fuel pump new, fuel pump relay new. When it won't start I take out the fuel pump relay, Put it back in and it usually starts. Can someone steer me to a solution?
    Jo
    try putting a bottle of gas dryer in your tank, if you have any water in your tank that will take care of it. also you might want to think about changing your fuel filter sometimes you can get a lot of setiment from the tank especially if you pump gas when a refill truck is pumping gas in the station tanks.
    hope this helps!
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    New fuel filter?

You got a bad, new relay?
  • tenstartenstar Member Posts: 1
    Am looking for any tips or advice on changing out my gas gauge sending unit (that has not worked for a few years) and the fuel pump which just failed. (Was hoping it was a clogged fuel filter..but not so). Does anyone know where I can get a star bit that will work on the bed to raise it up to access the fuel tank. Seems a couple of local parts houses do not stock the correct sized bit? I welcome any thoughts or tips on doing the changeout on this particular model. Thank you in advance
    Drop the tank? Or do you think taking the bed off is simplier?
  • frohrsfrohrs Member Posts: 17
    Dropping the fuel tank is mutch easier than taking off the bed. If you take off the bed your going to need about 4 people on each corner to do it right. I dropped my tank twice once for a fuel pump and the other to replace the fuel tank hose. Of course make sure the tank is empty have a nice floor jack (craftsman motorcycle jack works perfect for this) Undo the two straps that hold the tank on and be carefull of any wires you have to disconnect.

Much easier than taken the bed off. I dropped the tank with a friends help the first time and the second time I did it myself.

Good Luck!
    frohrs
  • derekgaddyderekgaddy Member Posts: 32
    I'm looking at a used 2006 with the 4.0 liter. The truck looks real clean and has only 44k miles. Any issues I should be aware of? Any help would be great. Thx in advance.
  • mecholsmechols Member Posts: 1
    What did you come up with?My 2001 is doing the same thing.Thanx,Mark
  • roadrangeretteroadrangerette Member Posts: 1
    I have just arrived via a tow truck yet again!! This thing has quit while shifting from 3rd to 4th gear. Just died outright. I let it sit and tried it again checked and reset the safety switch under the dash and tried it again. I disconnected the battery cable and let it sit and reconnected it and put the ignition in on position after for 2 minutes it was still dead and yes I had 3/4 tank of gas. I have replaced the fuel pump in this piece of machine 2 times in 4 years. Is there anyone out there that can offer a suggestion as to what else it could be. I am ready to go to Chevy if this thing doesn't quit letting me down. Please guys I am on my own here and need help. Any info you can offer will be appreciated and I have tools and know how to turn a wrench just need some ideas as to what to turn it on. No I don't have a code tester and hope I don't have to invest in one. It's winter,snow and colder than a well digger here. Thanks guys :confuse:
  • badassbudbadassbud Member Posts: 1
    i had the same problem with an aerostar change fuel pump 3 times then found the average fuel pump was garbage had to go to napa paid a little more but for 5 years after till i sold it worked fine
  • DeeRoc94DeeRoc94 Member Posts: 1
    2 weel dr., v6, 3.0 L. when I got my emitions done I got it back saying there is a problem with my "ignition coil B primary/ secendary circuit" at that time it was running but it had lost alot of power. I had to take it on the highway and it started loosing more and more power untill i couldn't even break 10 mph floored. after I turned it off I havn't been able to start it again. What would be a good first step to getting it started, and if someone has the heart and the time if you could email be some details on how to go about changing the coils and/or replacing anything else that could be causing these problems.
    neuroticserenity@yahoo.com

Thank you.
    if i took mine to have it fixed and it came back like that i would take it back to them and demand they fix it, if it was running fine when you took it to them then it's up to them to take care of the problem
  • mike8403mike8403 Member Posts: 1
    i would get the alternator and the starter checked.
    check your exaust and make sure it isn't restricted, have someone to start it! then put your hand over your tail pipe to see if the exaust is comming out ok. if it's ok check your fuel pump. happy hollidays
  • fortee9erfortee9er Member Posts: 134
    I have a 1994 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab and I would like to replace the bench seat with bucket seats. A former co-worker had a 1992 Ranger that had really nice bucket seats that had an extension for better thigh support looked like period Recaros but were stock. Does anyone know what years those seats were offered in the Ranger and what did Ford call them or the interior package? Were these bucket seats offered in anyother Ford car or truck?
    Thanks
    Jorge
    MY 94 WAS A STX AND IT HAN VERY NICE POWER SEATS, BOLSTERS, ETC. IT MAY BE TOUGH TO FIND THESE SEATS, NOT A LOT OF RANGERS WERE STX'S.

I THINK A LOT OF PEOPLE SWAP MUSTANG SEATS INTO RANGERS. ALSO EXPLORERS AND EVEN VANS.

SORRY ABOUT ALL CAPS, MY CAT WANTS TO LAY ON MY OTHER ARM...
  • joe200joe200 Member Posts: 1
    need to put tranny fluid in a 1998 ranger wher do i put it is it under the truck
    there should be a dipstick tube right next to the firewall on the passenger side of the engine sometimes it is a real short tube so you need to look close.
  • rick136rick136 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Ranger 5 speed. Several months ago I had the clutch master cylinder replaced with an O'Reilly part because I could hardly move the gear shift. It worked for a couple of months but then the same thing happened. The mechanic said I should put a Ford part in which we did. It worked for about 1 month and now it is again hard to move the shifter. A friend told me that there is another clutch cylinder on the transmission. Any suggestions? Thanks
  • ztljimboztljimbo Member Posts: 2
    Did you replace the pressure plate with the clutch, or just the clutch disc itself ? The pressure plate could be your problem not the clutch disc. Another possibility is the slave cylinder and throw out bearing.
    This should have been changed when the clutch was changed as you have access to it all while the tranny is out. And yet another is that you have air in the hydraulic line and nothing is wrong with anything. I would start with bleeding the clutch line if thats not it go to the slave cylinder next and so on.

Good luck & let us know how you do.
    The clutch disc was not replaced, only the master cylinder - twice. The last time it was replaced I was told that there was air in the system. At the moment it is working fine. I suspect the air entered the system during the first master cylinder change. We'll see how it goes.
  • abidosabidos Member Posts: 3
    My 95 Ranger XLT has had a few start/run problems. After getting it running i had it checked and found the Crank Position Sensor was bad. Replaced the sensor and ran fine for a few days then started it one morning...engine shut down about a minute later and now all i can get it to do is crank over. Seems like it's not getting spark. Thought of a fuel problem and tried starting fluid with no luck. Any suggestions on what might be wrong. Also this is the Distributorless model with no Ignition Control Module of the Ranger XLT.
    Many thanks.
    P.S. Also changed the Coil Pack with still no starting results.
  • willyone1willyone1 Member Posts: 1
    i changed the coil packs and the plugs but the truck is still missin do you have any suggestions on what it could be it is cutting out bad. it is a1994 ranger 5 speed
    Bad plug wires and/or plugs?

At about 6 years and only about 45,000 miles on my 94 I noticed 'static' on the FM radio. Changing to AM, there was even more static. Although the plugs are supposed to last what, 100,000 miles, I went ahead and changed them with the wires. Took one wire and plug out and then replaced both. No chance of messing this up. This cured my 'static'. If there is static, you are loosing voltage to ground instead of firing the plug.
  • berryr62166berryr62166 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 ford ranger 5 speed. A while back , it started making a noise which I thought was wheel bearings. or brakes rubbing. I just changedthe wheel bearings , and still have the noise. Checked the new brakes, rear end fliuds , trans fluid. I jacked the rear of the truck up and put it in gear. I heard the noise. WHen I am on the road , I can push in the clutch and the noise is still there, driving in gear , still there . Does it sound like a clutch problem , or a trans problem? Other than the noise, it shifts nice.
    Bob
    is it a roaring sound? or a chatter? what type of sound is it?
  • bestpibestpi Member Posts: 5
    i had a 1993 ford ranger 3.0L V6 that my family has had for 9 years and on 3-5-09 i was driving and hit some ice doing 30mph and rolled my truck my girlfriend was with me and we are both okay but i totaled it and now i have gotten rid of it. and i will be getting a new ranger eventually and i will miss it until i do :cry:
    I have a '01 Ranger 6 Cyl std with 77K miles. Several months ago the gear shifter became really hard to move. If I pumped the clutch it helped a bit. The clutch master has been changed 3 times. It worked OK for about 3 weeks and then the same problem recurred. Last week they changed the slave cylinder but there was no sign that there was leakage or that the slave was the problem. i think that the problem will come back. Any suggestions as to what to do? Thanks
    you might want to have the clutch pressure plate checked if it is weak, replace it that will cause your problem
  • cniemanncniemann Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know if you can use a 3.0 motor out of a torus in a 3.0 ranger ? My truck has a 3.0 flex-fuel motor in it with bad crank bearings. Was told a motor out of a torus would work but would have to use my intake,exhaust, and oil pan. Has anyone tried this ?
    no, the block is differant where the trans bolts up and motor mounts go also the sensors are differant from the ranger
  • bestpibestpi Member Posts: 5
    what year is your ranger and where are you located i have a 93 ranger 3.0L with a 5 speed and i rolled it but the engine and drivetrain are still in good shape if you are anywhere near Virginia i was thinking maybe it might help u out
  • cniemanncniemann Member Posts: 9
    I thank you for the thought but i live in Bastrop, texas. close to Austin so it would be kinda hard getting it. thanks anyway. chris
  • jmehoffjmehoff Member Posts: 3
    I am having problems when i shift up into 4th and 5th gear. It seems like the engine cant give the truck enough power to go in those higher gears. Also if i push the accelerator to the floor, the whole truck seems to shake and want to stall. Although it doesn't stall... it just decelerates usually about 10mph then stays steady... Any HELP? i just bought this ranger! and love it! Also i'm tryin to do this work myself if anything major is needed.

Its a 92 ford ranger 4cylinder 2WD
    check your exaust and make sure it is clear and also check your plugs and wires i have had 2 vehicles that lost power like that. one had a bad exaust , the other was my s10 truck it bogged down very badly, the plug wires were so bad; 4 out of 6 crumbled when i took them off to replace my plugs! needless to say i put new ones on now it has plenty of power. hope this helps
  • jmehoffjmehoff Member Posts: 3
    I just bought new plugs and wires yesterday. I won't have the time to put them in till sunday morning. So hopefully thats all it is. ^^ if not i i'm hoping for something simple
  • cls74cls74 Member Posts: 1
    I have replaced the alternator the sylinoid, but when I got to start it. It just clicks, could it need a new battery I can jump start it and it will run good, once turned off I have to re-jump it to get it to run again. I love my little truck just bought it, and I want to keep it. Could someone please give me some advice on this problem. :cry:
  • alarmdudealarmdude Member Posts: 2
    Have an 02 ranger with the 3.0 v6 and it has started to cut out under load recently. We have done a complete tune up and it runs great other than the cutting out. It has 104,000 miles and this is the first problem I have had. It seems like the Governor is kicking in because it does not throw any codes or engine light. If I drive around under 3,000 rpm's it runs prefect. Some days it won't cut out at all..some days every time I get on the freeway it cuts out. Can anyone help or have any suggestions?
  • alarmdudealarmdude Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like you could have a bad battery...but did you clean your battery terminals. Also, if you have a volt meter, check the voltage at the battery when the engine is running. It should be about 13.6 volts DC to charge the battery properly.
    you may need to replace the ground wire from the engine to the firewall sometimes they do go bad and will cause problems cutting out. i use to be a mechanic, worked on vehicles about 40 years and one person that taught me said never overlook the obvious! he said the problem could be right in front of you but hard to see. hope this helps some