Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Owners-Meet the Members

Comments

• knewjettaknewjetta Member Posts: 4
    Bought a Galactic Blue GLX, 5 Speed, Sports package on Friday. It is killing me I can't pick it up till tomorrow. Definitely faster than my old SUV!!!
  • jbalserjbalser Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone else driven the turbo with the windows down and music off just to listen to the turbo kicking in just upon acceleration?!?! I'm bummed that my wife gets to drive it everyday and I'm stuck with a 200hp accord V6.
  • sprouty1sprouty1 Member Posts: 9
    Just wanted to say hi to my new teammates in Jetta ownership. Bought my '01 GLX (Galactic blue over tan) three months ago and I have 4K now. Love it--much better handling and overall quality than my old Saabs. Sticker with CD changer was about $25,700 but I paid $24K even. I've read lots of posts here and I too notice the grumbling in the VR6 upon cold start-ups, but other than that no worries. Great little car for the money!
  • seldriverseldriver Member Posts: 4
    Bought my new Wolfsburg today. Dark Blue, Monsoon, Moonroof and Cold Weather Pkg. Drove the base 2.0L but no comparison. Once I drove the turbo I had to have it. Really feels tight and well built from the switchgear to the way the doors shut. Love all those VW standard features too. Glad to be part of the VW family.
  • rita11rita11 Member Posts: 1
    Leased this car in Sept. Very sporty and very quick. Reminds me of my old 2002! Love the sport suspension and 17" wheels. Only gripe is rattle which emanates from console. Dealer unable to locate or fix. Otherwise a nice little pkg. for the $ IMO...
  • carman47carman47 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the process of negotiating price on a tdi gls as an around town car and 1st car for my son.
    Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!
  • pgorman47pgorman47 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased our Black/Tan 2001 WE last week. Love the car!! We had a 1999 Jetta (III body style) which our son totalled in May on I95 near Wash DC. He wasn't injured, thankfully, and we based our decision to buy a new one on excellent crash ratings. The only thing I wish the WE had was leather interior. I have run across 2 places on the web that can provide a leather interior for the WE if anyone is interested: www.katzkin.com and www.leatherseats.com. Has anyone found any seat covers that fit the WE and are compatible with the side air bags? I enjoy this discussion group and appreciate the valuable info that is shared.
  • sm48sm48 Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking for a new Jetta and prefer the GLX with leather, sun roof, Monsoon radio, sport suspension with 17 in tires. At the moment my best deal is $24,600 and an interest rate around 3.9%. I drove the GLS with the Turbo, but didn't believe it had the real torque the V6 had. Also, I'm sure I can chip out the V6 to pep it up some. Does any one believe that even with the sport suspension there is too much body roll?
    The VW dealers here in Houston aren't the best I've seen and couldnt tell me what comprised of the 'sport susension". I am concerned about getting a dealer that can actuall service the vehicle.
    1) Is the above price reasonable (not including tax etc.?)
    2) Is it better to purchase the GLX or try to upgrade on the lower models?

Thanks for your advise.
  • wolfsburg5811wolfsburg5811 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought my new Wolfsburg about 3 wks ago--Galactic Blue, black interior, moonsoon, cold weather package, sunroof. Paid too much for the car but I don't care!! This car is awesome, love the turbo whine w/ the windows and radio down. Traded in a '95 S-10 and the gas mileage is incredible in comparison to the truck. Took my Wolfie on a trip to Memphis and got 30 plus miles to the gallon!! Even having to put premium fuel in it, the cost is still cheaper than with the truck. Great car, happy to belong to the VW family!!
  • vwguy18vwguy18 Member Posts: 1
    hey, im a 18 year old owner of a 94 Jetta GLS I love the car, I've had it since I first learned how to drive and its given me no trouble. I've wrecked the poor thing twice.. but after countless weeks in the shop, it is still like a tank. the only problem is that recently the air conditioner quit working. my guess is that it needs freeon. the car was so clean when we bought it, even though it had 120,000 or more miles on it. now it has around 130,000..still runs great. the performance of my car has turned my family on to vw's..my mom now drives a 2001 Passat. hopefully my little red jetta will get me through the next 5 years of college..(and maybe even longer if it still runs!).

--eric--
  • byroniiibyroniii Member Posts: 5
    Hat off to everybody,
    Name's Jerry, now doing a boring survey on car brands. Just a few questions, what do you guys think of the above 5 brands? What would u associate with each of them? Do they mean something to you? For example, some people regard Buick as for elder citizens. I don't know. I just want to know what u folks think.
    Thanks.
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    Niassan- Pathfinder is cool, Xterra is not, Maxima aint bad but i think it could be nicer looking, new alitma should be sweet, Sentra is nothing compared to Jetta
    Buick-Tiger Woods and Florida(elders..)
    Audi-Sweet, nothing else
    Accord-Dependable, trusty, boring, stolen
  • jettajoejettajoe Member Posts: 1
    Just got a 2001 GLS 5M (for my wife, unfortunately). It's Tornado Red/Black Velour. The clutch sticks a little more than some of the others we test drove. Is this a common problem or does it just need a little break-in time?
  • k_h_bk_h_b Member Posts: 54
    why would you compare brands with car names?
    Buick , Volkswagen, Audi, Honda, Nissan =P
  • sacornersacorner Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone,
    I'm picking up my new GLS tomorrow. I was just wondering, I didn't get the CD player as an option, but does anyone suggest a CD player to install (non-vw?) I got the Monsoon so I want my radio to sound good, but I couldn't afford the extra $ right now. Thanks!
    Stephanie
    The cd player I bought was the same price as what the dealer was selling ~400$, but its much nicer. I bought a sony Xplode deck, has the fold out fully LCD face, the colors match perfectly to the jetta interior and is a very good deck. There are various models, the one I purchased was about ~400.
  • woohahwoohah Member Posts: 14
    When do the new 2002 models come out? The new specs are intriguing.
    In the fall.
  • jabrwokijabrwoki Member Posts: 1
    Got a 2001 Jetta GLS VR6 this weekend after getting rid of a tinny Honda CRV. Tornada red with jet black interior (velour). Never owned such a enjoyable driver's car (still waiting for the elusive Beemer M3 !!). With automatic/monsoon and sport/lux package I got the car for $20600 ($2800 below MSRP) (dealer substituted 16" wheels for the 17" ones and offered a $400 discount on the lux/sport package) in addition to the 3.9% APR. From what I read here seems like a good deal. Also got the CD changer for extra $495. Looking forward to a (hopefully) trouble free driving enjoyment in the coming years.
  • wolfinbluewolfinblue Member Posts: 11
    I have a Wolfsburg Edition and I am looking to make some upgrades. I have heard that chipping would void the warranty, and if the turbo were to go, I'd be on my own for getting it repaired, even if the chip had nothing to do with it. Has anyone experienced this, or know of somewhere where I could find more information about putting a chip in to get more horsepower?

Also, has anyone heard anything about installing a new manifold similar to that of the Audi A4 (since it is basically the same 1.8t engine) to get another 20 - 30 horsepower?

Any input would be much appreciated!
  • jacobjohnjacobjohn Member Posts: 3
    Dear all,

I seem to be getting a lot of windnoise in my Jetta 2001 VR6? Is this just my car? Any suggestions? Please help. Thanks in advance.
  • zmanusafzmanusaf Member Posts: 12
    Does any know or has anyone seen what the Dealer Invoice is for the 2002 Jetta GLS TDI (5M)
    Would appreaciate any news! I live in Alaska, and we haven't received any 2002's yet. And of course the sales people won't let me know anything but the MSRP. Thanx Z-man
  • yellowjettyellowjett Member Posts: 10
    Looking for fellow yellow jetta drivers.
  • prixgrlprixgrl Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 1.8L turbo GLS with luxury/cold weather. It is silver with black leather. It was my dream car, but about two days before it turned a year old the problems began. . .
    Check engine light came on, took the crappy dealership over one month to find the problem. had the entire computer replaced, but the d'ship did not reprogram both keys so it went right back. Trunk latch broke. Power windows on both sides have gone out....Also had minor fender bender and they are nearly impossible to find parts for and get fixed correctly. I am having the awful combo of bad dealership, bad body shop, and bad car. I am doing everything I can to get rid of it with losing *too* much money. Found that Jetta has terrible resell value. I encourage anyone to look at HONDA.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I also know that people are willing to trade off fun and luxury for a few problems. I warn friends and family about VW, but also make it clear than when compared to a Japanese car, the Jetta is just a subjectively better car. No Honda offers the kind of driving enjoyment I crave in a car. Nissan is starting too, but their interiors are hard, cold plastic (just like a Honda).
  • cyberfire12cyberfire12 Member Posts: 18
    I've got a 99.5 Jetta GLS with (horrors!) the 2.0l engine and (double horrors!) the automatic. I like the car. Its fun to drive, good on gas (regular, at that) enough power and reasonably reliable. I've had a few problems, but nothing to sour me from VW. I don't like the selling dealer for service but they gave me a good price.

As I read this board and VW Vortex, most of the posts are complaints about lousy VWs or the 2.0slow or slushbox transmissions.

I just don't get it, why do I like my car so much?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Folks...today's events are horrendous, and we probably haven't heard the last of it. My prayers for the safety of you, your loved ones, and for us all.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    Hi Everyone,

I just traded in my 1998 Honda Accord LX-V6 Coupe for a new 2002 Jetta 1.8T Inferno Red with black velour interior.

My Accord was a very reliable car, and I had no problems with it in 3 years and 68000 miles.

My wife and I decided to go car shopping, because both our cars were nearing 100k, and we wanted to have one low mileage car.

Part of what attracted me to the Jetta was the pure quality feel. The car is SOLID. Everything feels solid and substantial, like you could whack it with a hammer and it wouldn't hurt it (not that I'd do that to my new Jetta :0 )

When I initially looked at the sticker, I didn't think I could afford this car. The dealership showed a $1000 markup above MSRP. But I went inside to talk with the sales manager, and he offered me 700 below MSRP, plus the 5.9% financing for 60 months deal that VW is running right now. They gave me 11,000 for my Accord, which isn't great, but not too bad either.

So I bought it! I got the 1.8T with automanual, heated seats, moonroof, and Monsoon sounds system with 6CD changer. I wish I could have had the sport suspension, but the car handles great even without it. It might roll a bit in the twisties, but the tires never squeal or break loose. My Accord held on nice on corners, but the tires squealed like stuck pigs.

Anyway, I'm just in love with this car. I think I've put about 50 miles on it today. :^)

If you're thinking of buying a new Jetta, now is a great time.

Glad to be here. Can't wait to drive it tomorrow. :^)
  • pamlitapamlita Member Posts: 6
    Hi Club!!

I just bought a 2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T in Galactic Blue with a black fabric interior. I also got the heated seats, luxury package, upgraded monsoon stereo system, and sport suspension. So far I love the car!! I had a 1992 Eagle Talon for 10 years and finally decided to upgrade. Actually my very first car was a 1972 VW bug and I loved that car too.

I'm happy to be a part of the VW world!!

Pam
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    My name is Paul, from Baltimore, Md. I just traded in my 2001 Mazda Protege ES 2.0 for a 2002 VW Jetta 1.8T in Cool White with Sport Luxury Pkg., Leather Pkg., monsoon, and Tiptronic. I love it! There is just a sense of luxury when riding in this car that I haven't felt in a long time. I hope it to provide me years of trouble-free motoring. And now I know what you all mean when you say about that VW "Perma-Smile". :)
  • thegrog3thegrog3 Member Posts: 6
    I'm on my 4th VW. 1972 Pop top Microbus, 1981 Rabbit, 1987 Golf, and now a 1996 Jetta III GL. I would've had a 2001 1.8T but I got in a bad accident in March and wasn't able to afford a new one. Being in the accident really messed up my back. The thing that I noticed right away that people don't discuss that much is the suspension. I noticed right away how smooth the ride was. It's a lot easier on my back and I love it. Join the VW Club if you haven't already. Peace!
  • keelaykeelay Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering leasing a new Jetta and was wondering if anyone has a 2.0 5-speed and is now wishing they stepped up to the 1.8T or the VR6? I test drove a 2.0 5-speed and it felt livlier than my 99 Civic EX coupe...I figure that's because the Jetta is a lot torquier than the Honda. However, on the highway, the Honda will take off if I downshift into third gear, and I'm wondering if the 2.0 in the Jetta runs out of steam in similar merging/passing situations on the highway, since it only has 115 hp vs. my (lighter) Honda's 127. Any advice would be appreciated...
    Skip the 2.slow and go for the 1.8T

You WON'T regret it. :^)
    Get the 1.8T. I did, and there is a WORLD of difference between the two.
    i've got a 2.0, it's alot better than people make it out to be and it is lively on streets, but you are right, it loses steam on the highway, i've got the slushbox so i'm sure the stick would be better but still, the 1.8T is the best choice-light, good mileage, powerful, smooth, refined, and reliable
    If your screen name has 1.8T in it, how come you have a 2.0? Just curious. :)
    i registered with edmunds while i was still in the process of dreaming and hoping, however when it came to get the car, lease price on the turbo wasn't bad but being a 17 yeard old guy in NJ, insurance would of skyrocketed with the mention of turbo. Sigh...I guess I'll have to wait two more years...
  • geewhiz54geewhiz54 Member Posts: 3
    Hello members; I'm in the market for a new car and am looking at the 1.8t Jetta (2002). I live in New Jersey (spare the jokes please)and was wondering what dealer I should be dealing with. Location is important, but I don't want to have to deal with idiots when it comes time to sitting down and working out a fair price. Been to gensinger and was totally ignored, stood there for 15 minutes before a dealer approached me, so much for a "family run business". Anybody have any good or decent experiences with NJ dealers they wish to share. And should I be looking at others cars, other than the Jetta, from what I read its a 50/50 chance of getting a lemon.
  • stanley18stanley18 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the market for a 1.8T but had a turbo question. After driving the car, is it necessary to let the car idle, so the turbo could cool as part of a preventative maintenance procedure?
    It's not necessary. Back in the Old Days, it may have been necessary to do so, but the newer turbos don't require it. The Owner's Manual says nothing about it, also.

This topic came up on VW Vortex a week or so ago. :^)
  • stanley18stanley18 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Anakin,... I checked out VW Vortex and found that it wasn't a clear cut answer. I guess it's best to play it safe, by making sure I take it easy when I am approaching my destination.
    I'm in NJ and got it from Jack Daniels in Fairlawn. Talk to Luis Fernandez and tell them Ali sent you. I've gien him 4 sales in 6 months. Great guy and pretty fair. Service there ain't great , and I know bout Gesinger, my cousin and I went there and it was pact, waited 20 minutes, finally the guy quoptes a lease for a loaded 2002 Silver Jetta GLS 1.8T for 380 a month for 36 months, and we got the same car for him at Jack for 320
    I usually idle my turbo just to be safe. But I only do it if the car's going to sit either all day long (at work) or all night long (when I park it). I only do it for like 30 seconds though, so it's not that bad.
    That's strange. I have a 2002 turbo and I am 23. I live in the city, and have 3 points as well. My insurance went up $37 a month from my previous 2001 Protege, and that's with State Farm. Not too much for the enjoyment the turbo provides.
    damn, i was told my insurance was gonna be about a grand more a year, numerous agences gave me the same figures...damn damn, o well, next car will be a turbo something, i love the sound!
    State Farm raised my rates $7 a month over my previous 98 Accord V6 coupe. I'm 27, married, have a clean record, and also have my house insured through State Farm, so I think my rates are as low as they get.

I got a quote from Progressive, and their rates were DOUBLE what State Farm gives me?!?!?!
    You wanna hear about insurance rates? I got a quote from Progressive, $3500 for 6 months. Allstate, $318 a month. Geico, $3400 every 6 months. And all these quotes were with my 2001 Protege! I don't know what their problems are, I only had 1 point at the time too! Now I have 3, all speeding. :( State Farm doesn't know about the two I just got though (the second 2- got the first one a year ago). I also have my house insured with them. My rate is $232 a month. Of course, like I said, I am 23 with a sportyish car, an unclean record, and living in Baltimore, Md.
    Having 3 points on your record, and being under 25 is probably what's costing you.

I have discounts for being:
    -over 25
    -clean record
    -married
    -multi-car discount (more than one car on this policy
    -home insurance also through SF.
    i'm 17, single, male, in NJ which has the country's highest insurance, got a brand new car, but no points, and I pay 3100, a year.I have Libert Mutual inusrance, fulkl coverage cause its a lease.
    Yeah, the insurance companies like to stick it to you when you're young, even if you have a clean record. :^(
This discussion has been closed.