Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mitsubishi Recall

antonkantonk Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Dodge
I have a 1996 Dodge Avenger which I bought here in Canada. As most of you know it was built by Mitsubishi, and it is one of the cars listed in the big recall. Do you think it will affect my car, since it's in Canada?

Comments

• Options
    SPYDER98SPYDER98 Member Posts: 239
    http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2001/02/15/home_auto/mitsubishi/index.htm

I assume any of the cars listed that were built in the Normal ill. plant will probably be defective. Mines one of them.

I don't even want to drive the thing now..

Shame on Mitsu!

• Options
    turbotcturbotc Member Posts: 163
    Every car manufacturer will face a recall once in a while. Even BMW and MB recalls their cars for problems. At least Mitsu admits to it and willing to pay to fix the problems, unlike FORD. Drive it over here and leave the keys in it. I'll drive it for you.
  • Options
    SPYDER98SPYDER98 Member Posts: 239
    True, but the problem I have is, they are recalling cars dating all the way back to 95!
    That to me says they knew about the defect, and like many other companies out there, decided to sit on it until a disaster finally took place. (IE. Firestone and Ford)
  • Options
    dweezildweezil Member Posts: 271
    and this goes back 20 years!!!And the head of the Mitsubishi Corp. STEPPED DOWN because of it and his alleged "shame". They were hiding defect memos because of the adverse publicity. 950,000 cars are affected!They weren't willing to pay for it until THEY GOT CAUGHT!
    And the recall isn't just for US vehicles it is WORLDWIDE! It amazes me that people are so willing to give the Japanese a pass yet still mouth the "conventional so called WISDOM" that anything domestic is BAD!!!
    Go to justautos.com and read up on the subject if you'd like to be more informed.
  • Options
    antonkantonk Member Posts: 19
    My 96 Avenger has 145,000 miles on it, and I'm not afraid to still drive it. I don't think the problem is all that major, especially if Chrysler agrees to pay for it themselves. But the fact that they're recalling so many cars does say something about Mitsubishi, and I think there probably are more items to recall, that's why the 95+ Talon and some other cars were considered crap.

Oh well, as long as I get mine fixed for free (if I don't sell it first), I won't hold a grudge against Mitsubishi. I mean if my car ran for 145,000 miles in 5 years, then they must've done something right.

I don't even think the Firestone recall was such a big deal. If you think about it, the tires injured something like 0.0000000001% of the population, which is a pretty good record for something that is hand-made.
This discussion has been closed.