Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• civiletticiviletti Member Posts: 86
    thanks, mazdafun
  • zoom zoom kingzoom zoom king Member Posts: 26
    I want to modify my 99 pro lx i want a spoiler, something to add the power and to get it for cheap. secondly i was wonderin if someone could explain hp and torque and is 10 hp more really a difference
    I successfully replaced the schizzy cd deck in my '99 es with an alpine CDE-9841 [$110 at BestBuy]. I skipped their "free" installation. The wire harness kit I bought at Fry's [$15] was worth the cost as their is no indication of the functions of the factory wiriing, and the colors indicated by the Hayne's guide were incorrect. the hardest part was clearing the wires behind the unit so it would slide in far enough to engage the mouhting clips. It sounds great, somewhat better than the stock deck.

I installed the same deck in my '94 B4000, so I won't be confused when I change vehicles [age does that to a fellow].

Now I'm looking at speakers, LOL. some kids never grow up. the polk db series sounds quite good for the money. Any other suggestions?
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    They're pretty power-efficient too.
  • sirgunitsirgunit Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 Protege Lx and i have installed a pioneer head unit and i also have two 10'' subs in my trunk and i want to install some 6x9 speakers. There seems to be a spot where speakers could go in the rear door but i do not know if you can install them there and how. I have looked every where to find out how but haven't found anything yet i was wondering if anyone would know if so email me on how please!
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Crutchfield.com says that 5 1/4 inch speakers will fit in the rear doors of a 2000 Protege sedan.

But, why not mount two 6 1/2 inch speakers in the rear deck instead? There the highs will bounce off the rear window and probably give you a better effect than rear door speakers anyway, IMO.

Or, if you already have speakers in the rear deck, what can be gained by adding rear door speakers?
    I already have speakers in the rear and i wanted to know because i am entering my car in a stereo system contest and that would help boost the sound i already have two piooner 6x9 in the back so i thought maybe i could fit some more on the door. You know anywhere i can find instructions on how to install them? I want my cars music to be as loud as possible here!
    could you make the 6x9s fit in the front door even though they are made for 6x8s?
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    I had not looked at Crutchfield in some time, so I misread their recommendation which is 6x8 for front doors, 6x9 for rear deck and 5 1/4 for rear doors. A 6x8 designed for high output (efficiency) should match most 6x9s for your purpose (and a number of manufacturers now make 6x8s).

I don't believe the addition of two 5 1/4 rear door speakers will add much to the perceived loudness. I am no expert in the "loud music" field, just offering my opinion.
    They lack wiring, so you'll have to get the wire harnesses that are used in the P5 (which has its rear speakers in the rear doors since it lacks a rear shelf).

The P5 uses 5-1/4 speakers in the rear doors. You probably will want to invest in additional amps to drive the additional speakers.

Look at getting component tweeters in the front doors as well. Again, look at P5 wire harnesses to put these into your sedan. I think a cross-over splits the signal to the front speakers off to the tweeters.

Good luck and have fun. Try not to blow out your eardrums. :)
  • dropackdropack Member Posts: 1
    i have 2002 Protege LX, i recently got backed into and it cracked my front bumper. i was wondering now that i have to replace it, if the front bumper on the P5 would fit on my car. i think the front end looks better on the P5 with the fog lights. if anyone knows it would be of great help.
  • 11b33t11b33t Member Posts: 51
    Yep, but you'll have to take a pair of tin snips and cut the extra space you need to mount the speakers flush to the frame to allow the door panels to set over the speakers. BTW, ensure the speaker magnet doesn't protrude too far into the door or window will not be able to roll down all the way.
  • earzearz Member Posts: 1
    I've been searching for 3 months, ever since i bought the car off my friend cause i wanted a manual. I was able to find everything i wanted except for a body kit, and a wrx sti carbon fiber hood replica, my friend said i can put it on there. If your reading this and your wondering if i know about cars, yes i'm a idiot, i really don't know and i need assistance!
  • inkblotinkblot Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone installed seat heaters in their protege? I know it's a strange topic for summer, but I have the time now to install. I'm looking for brand recommendations and installation tips. Thanks!
    Has anyone installed front door speakers other than 5X7/6X8 in a 3rd generation pro? I'd like to change to a 6 1/2 or 6 3/4 component system, but things look pretty tight in there.
  • rfbpar72rfbpar72 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

as you can guess, i'm looking to put a roof rack on my 2003 protege. It has the factory installed sun roof and i am trying to find where i can purchase an OEM roof rack, short of going to the dealership. Any suggestions or websites?

Thanks

rob
    The OEM rack looks best. Others clip onto the door frames, and may let water get past the weather seals. Saying that, I have an aftermarket roof rack for carrying two bikes. I just install it when I need to use it and store it in the house other times.
  • beachvibesbeachvibes Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone in this forum know anything about these mod chips that sell for $30 - $50 that are supposed to boost HP by about 20hp ? Does anyone have any experience with them installed on their MP5 ? These chips look really bootleg but I was wondering if it was worth a buy ........... I have a stock 2003 MP5 and in need of any type of boost in power !
  • luv2zoomzoomluv2zoomzoom Member Posts: 10
    Hi, Hope you guys don't mind all of my questions. I have a 01' Protege (LX 2.0) and i'm planning to change out my stock audio system (the digital display is messed up) but wanted to know if I should change out my speakers too.
    Does any one know what the watts are for the stock speakers? I'm just looking to get a richer/better sound quality. (sorry dumb ques. here) If I change the speakers, they will be hidden under the speaker covers like the stock ones?
    I noticed that the ES trim has white gauges on the odometer, what is the backlight color? Would I be able to order those through Mazda? I just have the boring green with the black background.
    Last question for now, The black trim on the outside window/doors, are the replaceable? My passenger side is all faded and peeling.
    Thank you in advance!
    The stock speakers are OK, but aftermarket ones can definitely sound better. When you look at power ratings of speakers, also look at the low end. That will tell you how much power needs to feed the speakers before sound will come out. It's a measure of efficiency. Some Rockford-Fosgates won't even peep until you give them 8W. My Pioneers start around 4W, so I actually could set my volume roughly 30% less than I had it with my factory speakers and still be satisfied with the sound.

Get ones with rubber surrounds. It lasts longer than the foam on the stock speakers. Get non-paper cones (paper is usually found on cheaper speakers) as well. 2-way, 3-way or 4-way is up to your budget and hearing ability. The stock use "whizzer" cones for the higher frequencies, so they're kinda like 2-way speakers. Don't get me wrong, the stock speakers are decent (the ones in the Corolla and Civic are puny), but you can do better.

Look on-line at Crutchfield for equipment that fits with your LX. If you stick with those that fit, you won't have to cut holes in your doors or rear shelf. They'll also tell you what head units fit. The downside of Proteges is the pocket for the head unit isn't that deep (something like 6.13 inches), so that limits the selection a lot. Others will fit with modification, but the faceplate will jut out from the dashboard.

The back-light color on ES and P5 Pros is red.

The black trim is just black plastic film. You can replace it yourself. With care, it will look like new. I'm suprised yours is fading. My '99 has fresh-looking trim still. Of course, it gets garaged nights and weekends, so it is spared some exposure.
    Thank you so much for the info! I was starting to get embarressed thinking I reall y asked dumb questions :blush: . I learned alot, I never would of thught of looking at the low end of the power ratings and the rubber surrounds.
    Would you know where to get the plastic film? I went to the daelership to get prices to replace the trim and 1 side would come out to over $200.! Could not find anything online either. I have no idea what cold of happened; even my wiper arms look like they belong on a 10 yr. old car. ??? I did for 1 yr. have to park w/out any cover & i'm in the desert.
  • newtoboardnewtoboard Member Posts: 12
    I posted this message in the care and maintenance forum but will post here also. I am looking for a new alarm system for my 99 Protege ES as the factory one I have installed stopped working when I replaced the battery and don't have the time or patience to go to the dealer and pay for them to reset it. Any suggestions on a good decent alarm? I live in downstate NY and have approx. 72,000 miles on the care and would like to keep it for another 72,000.

Thanks
    I replaced the cd receiver in my '99 pro es with a base level alpine unit. The sound imprived substantially. Then I replaced the rear 6X9's with polk db 6.75" co-ax speakers [plywood adapter plates took about 20 minutes to fabricate] and the sound improved dramatically. Next I plan to replace the front 5X7's with infinity kappa 6.5" or 6.75", which are even more efficient than the polks and have a tweeter that can be aimed upward. A more expensive solution is component speakers for the front doors so the tweeter can be mounted higher than the mid/woofer. Ignore the power ratings on speakers. The efficiency db/watt is more important. Unless you plan to use a seperate amp of considerable power, use speakers that are 91db/watt or higher. the above mentioned kappas are 95 db/watt.
    I went stereo shopping and the prices were higher than I wanted to spend; over $500. w/ just a regular cd player, 4 middle of the road speakers + wiring, (etc) and install. Now i'm thinking what if I just changed the cd player only and forget the speakers? Would the sound be crappy and not worth it? I don't mind the stock look but it geta annoying to have to hit my display just to see what time it is, etc; the digital on the display is messed up.
    Might anyone know where to find replacement black trim/film for outside side windows? Thank you in advance!
    Autozone sells trim film. I'm sure other retailers do too. I used black to replace sections to replace sections that oxidized and faded on my '89 323LX (surprisingly, there was chromed trim underneath!).

If your head unit's display is wonked out, then replace that first, though I think replacing the speakers makes a bigger difference in terms of sound quality and quantity. And yes, dB/W is the key factor, though the bottom end still will tell you when they kick in.
    Thank you so much again!! Very much appreciated!! :shades:
    I paid $109 for an Alpine CD receiver and ~$70 on eBay for polk db675 speakers, which I installed in place of the rear 6X9's. Jaw-dropping difference in sound quality. I bought a ford removal tool at autozone for a few bucks and used a scrap piece of 1/4" ply to make and adapter. Press on wire connectors were about $2 for a pack at radio shack. The infinity kappa's I plan to use in the front will be $80-$100 on eBay.
    Thank you too for the input!! Unfortunately, I have no clue how to do those things myself :blush:
    I think for now I might just change the cd player; even though the sound won't be great I won't have to keep hitting the (digital) display so its readable & i will be able to listen to my burned cd's w/out it occaisionally skipping and blanking.
    http://protege5.ugly.net/

Look under sections 09-11 and 09-20.

I placed a couple of text-only posts on this board describing how to replace the speakers, including door & rear shelf panel removal (#s 272 and 274, I think). Someone else later posted links to a site with pictures illustrating the process. It might be this site:

http://byrneweb.com/sunburn/newcar/install.html

His is a P5 (and a nice-looking one, but they all are :) ), so it doesn't cover the rear shelf speakers in the sedan.
  • photorosephotorose Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my 2002 Protege, Love it! But the reception on the radio is bad. I was told that I would have to change the entire radio. Is this true or can I just get a better antenna? Thanks for any suggestions.
    It could simply be a case of corrosion on the connector, or a loose connection to the antenna.

The stock radio has very good radio reception. It's much better than my aftermarket JVC. It could pull in many local stations with my antenna fully retracted into the A-pillar. With my JVC, I have to pull out the antenna at least 1/2 of the way out to match the same performance.

Do you get static with the antenna all the way out with even strong stations? If so, I'd suspect a bad connection somewhere.
  • basersxbasersx Member Posts: 4
    To save money I got rid of my beautiful Acura RSX and am now driving an old 95 protégé, it’s the 1.5L with 75,000 miles. It’s in good running shape.

What mods (mostly interested in performance mods) would you recommend?

Thanks!
  • musikmanmusikman Member Posts: 3
    Hey folks.... I just installed an HID headlight kit on my 2003 P5.

It looks great and the difference between the PIAA Extreme Whites I used to have and this kit is amaizing... however, everytime I get on the road (specially at night)half the cars on the road Highbeam me.

Is anyone else with an HID kit experiencing this problem, and if so, how did you resolve it???

Thanks a bunch!
    Does anyone on this board know any good links to accessories sites for the Protege5 ????

It seems I've search the web high and low and I'm having a hard time trying to find any good websites that sell accessories for the Protege5.

I've looked at a couple of websites posted on this board but they seem so limited (in terms of products).

Any suggestions????

Thanks in advanced.
    You could try the some owners of pickups have used and install blinds (usually metal) on the upper halves of your headlamps. This keeps the light out of the eyes of oncoming drivers, but creates a sharp cut-off wherever the blinds occlude the headlamps.
    Thanks a bunch.

I thought about that, but I also read in some other forum that it may be a good idea to adjust the headlights down a bit. So far I've read about a bunch of people who have the same problem even with the stock bulbs and 95% of the time the same people adjusted the headlights down by parking about 10 feet from a wall on leveled ground.

I was thinking of doing that, the only problem now is how to go about adjusting them. I looked under the hood and noticed a copper colored nut with teeth on them behind the headlight housing covered by a plastic cap.

I'm sure that's what you have to mess with to adjust them, but I don't know if the plastic caps need to come off or not before using th flathead screwdriver.

But again, thanks a bunch for your suggestion.
    You don't have to completely cut off the light.

Hmm. The nuts (lower, outer corner on each lamp housing) on mine don't have plastic caps over them. The upper ones (opposite from the lower luts across the bulb) do. :confuse:

Anyway, good luck adjusting them.
  • kathryn1kathryn1 Member Posts: 1
    My protege5 did not come with the factory roof rack so I bought one off of ebay. The problem is that I can't mount it on my car because I do not have the ROOF RAILS. Does anyone know where I can find the rails? I have the plugs in the car to mount the rails. Thanks :confuse:
  • simba21simba21 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Mazda Protege and tried putting in a new stereo,but could not get console/dashboard out to put new stereo in.
  • sean17sean17 Member Posts: 4
    I posted a while back that my brakes didn't work very well. I found out today that my tires/rims are too big for my little brakes. I'm an 18yr old male working full time. I live in Hamilton (1hr south from Toronto). I'm interested in buying larger brakes. But I don't have much money to spend. I want my brakes to react. But I also want them to last. I was thinking about all wheel disk brakes. I was told approx $2,000. Which I don't have atm to spend on brakes.
    On the stock head unit, there are two cover plates, one on each side of the faceplate. You have to remove these to expose the holes (two under each) for allowing the head unit removal tools (you can use Ford-compatible tools) to enter and disengage the snaps that hold in the head unit. You can just pry these off. They are held in place with light snaps. Be careful if you want to keep them as they are thin and fragile.
    The ford tool costs a few bucks at autozone. It also removes the bin below the head unit if you want more space to work.
  • diprotegediprotege Member Posts: 1
    hey bro., im a new member and i have a 1991 Mazda Protege W/ 1.8L DOCH engine. i'm very satisfied wit the power my car has but i wanna get more power. Is there any secret techniqes that would help me get more ponies under my hood, or any engine mods i should get. Anything would help. Thanx.
  • kristina08kristina08 Member Posts: 2
    how do you change the driver belt on the '91 protege? we cant find the bolt the releases the tension on the drive belt. one of my mom's friends told me he things that there's that bolt and another tension belt that would enable me to replace it. any info, please? :confuse:

Thanks!
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Why not check the service manual online for all the details? See: http://protege5.ugly.net/
  • kristina08kristina08 Member Posts: 2
    thank you so much! it didn't say much at all about the drive belt in the manual and i'e been looking all over the place for something... thanks!
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    it didn't say much at all about the drive belt in the manual
    That's too bad. Did you check pages 01-10A and 01-10B?
  • protege5ownerprotege5owner Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2002 Protege 5. I didn't get any manuals with it.

It has (factory fitted) roof rails/cross-bars. The rear one appears to be adjustable (the front appears to be fixed). They are currently to far apart for my ski box. Anyone know how to adjust them ? Can they be adjusted ?
  • nathanael77nathanael77 Member Posts: 1
    You just loosen the two screws on top of the rear bar. The two pieces at the base on each side pop off with a little effort. The bar is held down with a bolt which you can loosen and then adjust.
    I just took off the rack today and it only takes a couple minutes.
This discussion has been closed.