Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege Accessories and Modifications

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited October 2014 in Mazda
What have you done, or wish to do, in the way of accessories and/or modifications on your Protege?

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• gamejunkigamejunki Member Posts: 16
    I haven't received my Protege yet, but its coming! I was just curious what kind of modifications others out there have done to get more performance from the engine. Headers, exhaust, etc. What about modifications to the exterior? Anyone add side skirts, better headlights?
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    well for lights, get some PIAA lights. there are Superplasmas and superwhites that simulate HID lights.

there is a site http://www.spoilers.com/ge/mazprot99.htm that has a body kit for us.

• speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    I'm not your normal teenager modification freak, but I do like to modify things a bit. Here's what I've done so far:
    - PIAA Platinum white H4 bulbs 80w/80w actual (equivalent to 100w/130w halogen)
    - J-Spec Clear corner lamps
    - K&N Replacement air filter
    - Bosch Platinum +4 plugs (isn't it funny how the "Platinum" theme has become so common for cars?)
    - Factory mudguards, all four wheels
    - Factory nosemask
    - Factory cargo net
    - Factory foglights
    - J-Spec Sport20 Strut tie bar
    - Tinted windows 35% in front/18% rears
    - Dashmat (a necessity in Arizona)
    - Additional carpeting to cover the EXPENSIVE factory floormats and in the trunk. I used rubber-backed all-weather carpeting in a dark gray color. It looks great!

Future mods:
    - 17" rims and tires
    - Thicker sway bars
    - Upgrade the factory speakers/add subwoofer

Or I may just trade in my 2000 ES for a 2001 MP3 when it comes out. It depends on how well my new job pans out. :-)

Please let me know if you have any questions about the mods, I posted some about the strut bar in the Mazda Protege topic. It's not a mod for the "faint of heart".

Regards,

Pete
    awww right... 17"ers.... cool.

Was the jspec strut bar one you didn't need to modify to fit around the Cruise control or something? I am starting to get confused with the Alty board. someone needed some mod'ing.
  • conheadyconheady Member Posts: 77
    All I have...

Clear corners
    Plasma Blue lights- looking to get the green.
    LeBra
    Viper 550 alarm system with encrypted remote start/lights/doors
    Custom brushed alluminum pedals
    FuelMax (haven't put it on yet, we'll see if it works)

I want to get and am searching for advice/information on...

Those European Tail light sets
    Performance Ignition Wires
    Performance Spark Plugs
    Strut bar
    Performance exhaust
    moonroof
    Fog lamps

I was looking for factory fog lamps. Any idea where to get them, how much and how difficult/Easy to install?

The Platinum plugs... I've heard good and bad things about replacing your factory plugs with afetr market ones. What are your thoughts on that? Also what about ignition wires. I was thinking that would be my next upgrade.

Anyone have tips on tinting?
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    those jspec clear corner lamps speedypt mentioned, is there anywhere else on the web i can get them beside www.procarparts.com or ebay? I keep getting outbidded by people willing to pay more than what procarparts sell them for. Also, are those lamps the exact same ones as they use in japanese version of the protege(aka Familia), meaning they're OEM parts directly from Mazda, or are they aftermarket parts from a 3rd party manufacturer.

just curious

H
    They are not OEM and they are not DOT approved. I haven't seen them elsewhere than Procarparts.com
    I guess what I'm trying to ask is, if I get stopped by police, in theory, will they be able to fine me for having non-DOT approved signal lights on my car?

and also, how are the qualities of these clear lamps, same as the original yellow lamps or a little more flimsy?

thanks

H
    Heres just a little mod I did to my car and although it's simple, it does look a little cool.

Unscrew the two plastic covers that are in the front of the vehicle where the fog lamps should go.
    Wash them so they are really clean.
    Lay out a few newspapers on the ground in a well-ventilated area
    Use Chrome Enamel or Acrylic car spray paint (for bumpers & trim) and spray into a newspaper until you have a small amount of liquid paint coating a large enough amount of the newspaper. (not too much- you don’t want dripping).
    Lay the face of the plastic covering that has the XX fence pattern down in the paint for a few seconds. Then lift. Too much paint will make the paint drip when you turn it over, so use small amounts of paint and go for a second coat when the first one dries.
    The effect you are going for hear is that the XX pattern on your plastic cover will be silver or chrome on the very edged, and will look like metal grating. It’s a cool effect if you don’t have fog lights.
    If you are being profiled then you may get stopped, but the chances of the cops doing that are slim. In most states (probably all) front turn signals must be orange in color- when ON & OFF. If you get the clear corners they are only orange when on. So technically if a cop is looking for an excuse, and knows the law... you could be taken off the road. I'm betting against it though.

They are more flimsey, but not by much. They are both plastic. The factory orange ones have a clearer plastic (doesn't refract as much light). I have noticed that the clear ones don't fit as well. They go in just fine- nice and snug, but don't fill out the space as much as the factory
    ones did.

I had to swap out my factory bulb sockets and water seals to get them installed. Very easy to do.
    thanks for all the info. I'll try my luck again tonight on ebay, if I can't get it there I'll just get it from procarparts.com.

I just have another little request... may be asking too much given all the advices I have received from everyone... but can anyone that does have the clear lamps installed post a 'after' picture of the headlight+clear lamp. REALLY appreciated if anyone can do this.

many thanks in advance

H
    (btw it's a slow day at work today)
    Strut-bar. I DID have to modify (ie: cut off part of) the cruise control bracket, but the way I mounted the mounting plate, it's just as sturdy after installing it. I did get the J-Spec Sport20 strut bar. (It's the actual Japanese Mazda factory part.)

Clear corners: They ARE LEGAL in Arizona and Illinois for sure. Think about this...Accords and the new Protege have clear corner lamps from the factory with orange bulbs inside. Why wouldn't it be legal to install clear lenses and orange bulbs on the Pro? Since I have the brighter headlights and clear corners, I had a police officer friend of mine check out my car and he stated that the orange color requirement is only for when the bulb is blinking, not when it's off. The running lights (front turn signal) IS ORANGE when the signal isn't flashing and therefore meets the LEGAL requirement for color. I did not get the aftermarket clear corners available on Procarparts.com, I got the original OEM Japanese Mazda parts from www.corksport.com. They are more expensive, but fit EXACTLY THE SAME as the original orange signal. I did have to use my original bulb socket with an orange bulb, but it fits PERFECTLY and I'd recommend it to anyone. I will try to get a picture of the installation later today and post the pic soon.

(I'm not upset, I just want to be clear) :-)

Regards,

Pete
    Conheady...thos eeuropean light sets you mention are the Altezzas.

And here is a pic of a HEAVILY modded Protege.

The first shows clear corners, if you can stomach it( from rest of the car I mean.)

and the second shows the altezza lights.

and if a cop stops you and cites you for the clear corners, he's just petty and getting a quota. Most places allow it as long as you have a yellow bulb.
    Sure that isn't a close up of a Hot Wheel Car!?

Any info on getting (besides "fleabay") and installing those lights?

About the clear corners. I called the NYS DMV a while back when I was thinking about getting them... they said that turn signals (not parking lights - which coulb be seperate in some cars) have to have orange when ON or OFF. I think some car manufacturers get around this by offering a clear lense and then another orange lense in front of the bulb. I believe the new Protege's have that.

I agree though... if a cop stops you, it's because he needs to find something- which will never happen. Then you just paint them b!tches orange with a hilighter when he's not looking.
    Yeah, those clear corners are actually clear, while the ones I have are clear, but have a pattern of thickness in the plastic so you can't see the bulb as clearly.
    that car IS ugly though isn't it.. I wonder how someone could do that to a poor Protege.
    I guess they were going for the "White Trash Racing" theme.
    I love the rims and Altezza tail lights, but that paint!!! It's really well applied, but it is SHOCKING!!!

Regards,

Pete
    thanks speedypt and nikecar for the info. But man those OEM corner lights are more than twice the cost of the procarparts.com's. But i think it's worth my money. I'll start saving some money now....

silly question, the price they listed there is for the pair, not each, correct?

many thanks again

H
    Yes. $106 plus shipping for the pair. Manufactured by Stanley (same as stock) for the Japanese Protege (also the German model).

Regards,

Pete

You can see the orange bulb from straight-on. You can also see the fit is exact. I love the way they look!

Regards,

Pete

You can see how well the strut bar fits. In the second picture you can see where I cut the cruise control bracket just above the black mounting plates that stiffen the strut towers and provide a mounting surface for the strut bar, rather than just use two of the strut mounting bolts to attach a strut bar. IMHO it's a much better system, but requires some modification. The third picture shows the driver's side strut tower that did NOT require any modification. If you look closely, you can see some red paint coming through on the bar. It came with beautiful red paint that I decided to cover over with cheap silver/chrome paint. I will refinish it once I get to Chicago to fix that!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Regards,

Pete

those corner lights look phat, definitely getting them now.

btw, is it me or is this one of the best discussion board I've ever seen on Edmunds.com?

kudos to everyone

H
    Those corners are off the hook!!! damn.. I might have to get them for the wife's car.. right after I take the car from her!!! image

and yes this is the best discussion here.
    Found this in another board (nissan actually) about part makers with parts for the Protege's.

I don't know what parts they are, but at least we know the companies...

Makers with protege parts
    1. Jackson Racing Miata Supercharger (fits 1.8 liter ES protege)
    2. Erebuni Body kit
    3. Intrax
    4. Suspension Techniques
    5. Weapon R
    6. Tenzo R
    7. Arospeed
    8. NOS (makes for everybody)
    9. Pacesetter
    10. corksport
    11. J-spec
    12. Mazdaspeed
    13. Eibach
    14. Sprint
    15. HKS
    16. Unorthodox Racing
    17. indoxine
    18. APC (altezza tail lights for 1999 and up protege's in 2001)
    Hey those look just like the ones I bought!
    Only difference- the horizontile molding lines. I don't have those. Otherwize, I would say they are identical.

I think you ahave convinced me to do a strut mod- when it gets a bit warmer around here. I see you have the K&H sticker on the air filter box too. :)
    Any thoughts on going for a custom intake system?

I have yet to put on the FuelMax fuel saver. The EPS put out some interesting numbers on how well it cleans up the emmissions (a result of greater fuel efficiency). If have some idea where to attack it, but want to make sure I get it in the right place. If you know where the inbound fuel line is, could you snap that?

EVERYONE. Keep an eye out for custom parts, accessories and mods for the Pro. If you see any deals or sites that carry parts, please post for the rest of us. If you make a modification (no matter how stupid) let us know- snap a picture- write a short guide on how to do it yourself.
    Those are factory fog lamps too! How much did those set you back? I'm thinking those will be my next upgrade. Now only if I can get them cheap without importing them from Japan!
    Thanks for the compliments. I LUV my Pro, can you tell?

No plans for custom intake. Nor can I help with the fuel line location. Best bet is to get the front of your car up on ramps and trace it forward from the fuel tank.

I like having the K&N air filter, even if just for the reusability factor.

Fog lamps were added at the dealer as part of my purchase, but the kit costs about $195 here in Phoenix. Wait til your dealer sends you a parts coupon for 10-20% off "do it yourself" type parts. Kbaer on the Prototech website installed his own. I didn't have to do that though.

Regards,

Pete
    I'll ask my dealer about the fog lamps. I'd pay upward of $250 for them installed. Hope I can get it at that.

Looks like your windows have some nice tint. Can you share any ideas for someone who knows nothing about tinting?
    I think I'm begining to love your pro too.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Here's a pic that will give you an idea of where to put the Fuelmax:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/maltbarley?d&.flabel=fld9&.intl=us&.src=ph&start=1

Click on the pic to enlarge.

Quite a link eh?

:)

Thanks man! I still have more plans for it. I'll post as I do them!

Regards,

Pete
    so conheady, do your corner lamps fit just as tight as those posted by speedypt? I thought you said there were some gaps after you installed them.

If they indeed fit the same, then I'm in a big dilemma, paying less for an aftermarket version or get the OEM version for more than 2x the cost... dang.
    Thanks for the pic! That really helps out a lot! I'll keep you guys posted on whether or not the FuelMax works.

the_big_h:
    They are pretty tight. They don't move at all once they are in. They are locked into place like the OEM versions. The issue I had was with the left one. It didn't fit as perfectly as the original lamps. Maybe off on the top by 2mm. Nothing noticible at all.

Add into the cost of the lamps the price of two new 1157A orange bulbs ($3.99)
  • 5spd5spd Member Posts: 38
    I am looking for a set of OEM steel wheels from a 323 or protege. If you have upgraded to alloys and want to sell your steel wheels please e-mail me at buywheels@hotmail.com
  • sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    Hey all,

Been toying with the idea of getting a pair for my new 01 ES, I think they look pretty cool. Anybody else get them already, and if so, where? I've seen a number of people selling them on EBAY, but hesitant to go that route without a positive recommendation. Would rather order directly, and skip the whole bidding BS.

Thanks,

Steve
    Procarparts has these in stock now. I was thinking about getting them. $210! Anyone think it's worth it?
    no.. they are played out. they sell Altezza lights at Pepboys by criminy...

and do you REALLY want to be like every other Civic out there? There are Altezzas for Neons. Cavaliers, Chevy Astro Vans, pick-ups, etc... its old and played..

but it is your car, so do what pleases you, but IMO, they are ugly and not worth $210. get Strut bar or something...
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I had a set of those in my 1999 DX I just traded for my 2001 ES 2.0. I liked them, and they were nice and bright too. I bought them from EBay for like $21 or something. But I noticed they don't have good illumination in rain or immediately in front of the car. Of course, the fog lights illumnate the area in front of my 01 ES, so that might not be a problem. I was feeling sorry that I didn't get the bulbs from my DX before I traded it, but don't want blue headlights and regular colored fog lights. And don't know where they sell plasma blue fog lights.

I was thinking about upgrading my stereo system from the factory cassette/CD unit to the 6-disc CD changer. What do you all think?
    Vocus- Thanks for the info. I didn't even think about the color difference between the fogs and blue headlights, you're right it would look kind of stupid to do just one set. Thanks for the info, esp rain performance. Maybe its not such a good idea.

I also was thining about the CD changer, as I had an aftermarket system in my old Audi. I really liked the convienence of the changer, much less of a hassle. I am getting used to using the single disk system, I find it not as convient, but not worth the extra money to upgrade. Plus, I'm under the impression that you can't have changer and tape deck, and I like having the tape even if it doesn't get used that often.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    I wish Mazda offered an 8 trac player. I got a whole box full of 8 trac's in the basement. Nothing like cruising the strip listening to Led Zepplen or Meatloaf with the windows and moon roof open? Or the Eagles, they were the "crush"! "Warm smell of colitas, rising up in the air,... there is plenty of room at the Hotel California". Ahh, the 70's, rock roll and remember! Well I got to go, my wife say's it's time for my medication and a nap. ;-}

-Larry
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    if you want "Eagles" - live with "hotel california" and other great tracks. I have a DVD and made a CD copy of it.

Best CD to be played in my ES till date.

perfect sound.

(this is actually the "last" time the Eagles got together couple of years back..special night)
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Thank you Nick, you are very kind. We need to get together when the weather moderates a little.

-Larry
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I think you can have the in-dash 6-disc CD changer with the cassette player as well. I was trying to find some information about the changer system in the owner's manual, but it's not even listed! Oh well.
    Hmm, interesting. For some reason I thought it was an either or thing. I'm amazed they can cram all that in there. If I were choosing, I would take the changer. Since it already has the single, don't feel the need to go and put the changer in instead. I can't imagine its either. I had a seperate manual, for the stereo. Wasn't all that big, don't recall if there was anything about the changer in there.
    I was reading an Edmund's article on changing air filters, and even they recommend replacing stock paper filters with K&N filters. So I read on and visited K&N's website, and have a few questions that I would appreciate if anyone can answer it for me:

1. at the K&N site they offered 2 varieties of their air filters: a stock replacement filter which only replaces the filter itself but not the box, and another filter kit that replaces the whole stock filter box. Any experience/ideas/comments regarding performance gains using these 2 types of filtering system?

2. This is more toward people that have K&N installed already: Is the improvement in performance noticeable? Any side effects like louder engine noise or extra vibration?

all responses appreciated

H
    the 2 types of filters K&N offers are the stock replacement and the cone filter. the stock is like a regular paper filter and fits just like the one you are replacing. The cone filter is like a cone and its open to the elements. that one allows more air to come in and gives more a more throaty sound. normally though since it is closer to the engine and the heat, it won't give as much power boost as if you were to get a Cold air Intake. this is the same as a cone filter only the placement is farther from the engine (down behind the bumper ina corner usually) and lets more cold air into the engine..
    I bought a stock replacement filter. Cost about $40.
    Once I opened it from the package I just knew that the quality was far better than any paper filter I have used before. the frame is not plastic, but a soft rubber-coated in oil. That means it provides a better seal and will last longer. It was a perfect fit. The filter came in sealed plastic and had a care manual and stickers to place on your car and on the air filter box- (to remind your servicer not to replace the air filter).

After installing I noticed smoother idling and a tad more horsepower (but I'm not sure, because it's so little). Looking at my gas mileage- it went up a bit, since I installed it, but I don't know if that's because it's K&N or because it was time to replace the filter anyways. I just feel better having a K&N filter in my car- so I feel it's more than worth it. Plus it will save you money in the long run because you can recharge them yourself.
    I believe Vocus put one in his last Protege and took it out because his mileage went down. my brother has ne in his car and he likes it..
    I read through the k & n air filter topic discussion board here on Edmund's, and I think the overall consensus is that it won't increase your horsepower/torque by any noticeable amount, if any at all, BUT it should make throttling more responsive and make idling quieter. Can anybody give me a quick explanation on what exactly throttling means?

conheady, where did you buy your filter, online or in a local store? You don't by any chance has the part # for it do you?

I'll probably buy a stock replacement if I can find it in the local store.

thanks

H
This discussion has been closed.