Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• wdrauchwdrauch Member Posts: 22
    I just bought a P5 last week and am unimpressed with the stereo sound quality (it basically sounds like I'm listening to my CD's underwater). I've read previous posts saying that the fronts are 6x8's and the rears are 6.5"'s. My question is are they 2-ways or 3-ways ......... please excuse me, if my "lingo" is incorrect. It's been probably ten years since I've bought any car audio equipment.

I'm also interested in feedback on which speakers people have enjoyed. I'm kind of partial to MB Quart since I've had good luck with them in the past.

bill
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    They are duel cone (a little paper cone attached at the center of the main paper cone). You can replace them with what ever you like (2-way or 3-way).
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Capacitors on the speakers take care of splitting the frequencies. Look for efficient (lower low-end power rating) speakers.
    mazdafun,
    please clarify your comment about looking for "efficient (lower low-end power rating speakers)". are you talking about db/watt ratings? I understand the comment about capacitors. I've used them to set up high-pass filters in the past.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Or for those who don't like blasting their stereos, speakers that can make useful sound with 2W input are better than ones that don't make diddly until they get fed 8W.

This can be translated into dB/W, but often this isn't quoted. Usually, an RMS range is quoted (although the peak is more-often quoted as it's a ridiculously high number...i.e. speakers that can withstand 50W continuous can have a peak rating of 240W...although this can indicate the ability to punch out bass cleanly).
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    for use with the stock amp, try to find speakers rated at 90dB/wW or higher. These will be considered efficient and will give more sound with less distortion from a low power amp
    does anyone know what the RMS output of the stock head unit is?
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Searching on some other forums, it seems that the stock HU puts out about 10 watts RMS.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    When I upgraded mine (95 DX), I was looking to not spend too much, but still wanted efficient 2- or 3-way speakers. I got Kenwood 6.5" 2-way fronts (6504, IIRC) that are rated 91 dB/W from Best Buy, and picked up an almost matching pair of Kenwood 6x9 rears off ebay - Kenwood 2-way 6908. These are rated 92 dB/W. I may be wrong - but I believe their power ratings were in the 25-40W RMS range, which matches my Pioneer 4x25 head unit perfectly.

MASSIVE difference in sound quality, especially considering my old rear speaker cones were ripped, and one was in shreds! Lots of base, enough that I haven't bothered to seriously consider adding a sub - I used the money I was planning to spend on a sub and an amp to get XM Radio instead - best car audio decision I ever made!
    I can believe it that you got great bass out of those 6x9 three-ways. My college car in the early 90's was an '85 Celebrity coupe. I had a 4x25 Alpine amp with 6x9 three-ways in the rear parcel deck and 4x6 two-ways on the top of the instrument panel. With the Celebrity's almost perfectly rectangular trunk the bass was thumpin'!! True, I wasn't going to blow anyone away, but for the purpose of good sound quality and crispness of bass it was great ........ too bad everything else about the car was crap!!
    ... can so often be another man's aural torture! And vice versa, I'll admit!

So - the bass doesn't give me the thump-thump that makes my lub-dub go double-quick dub-dub-dub like my home theater subwoofer can (Yamaha 150W RMS) - but for my car, its more than adequate!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    One man's bass

I love Bass! One of the best readily available Ales.
    ... may be another man's horse-piss! Sorry - call me weird - but I've NEVER met a beer I liked!

Now bass, the fish - that's a whole another story ...
    If its seafood (and its not stale!) - I'll eat it!
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    I just ordered 4 new speakers, an MPV intermittent wiper stalk, a cargo tray for my P5 as well as an electrochromic mirror, mud guards, and scuff plates for my Miata. Lots of weekend fun on the way!
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I thought bass was boomin' and trebly highs were crisp!

Meade
    Total agreement! My Sony 120W sub makes the vinyl siding on the back of the house buzz with each footstep of the T-Rex in Jurassic Park!

Gawd, I can't believe I'm toying with the idea of adding a second subwoofer to the home theatre system ...

Meade
  • icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    It can boom but, it shouldn't be muddy. Go to a car audio store and have them play a good sub for you and a poor sub. (A sub-sub?) Anyway, good bass is often referred to as being "tight". When there is a thump it should be crisp and well defined, not just a thud.

You really have to hear it to understand. Like I said, go test listen.
    Using the likes of Nakamichi and Klipsche up at my brother's house (he's an audiofile like you wouldn't believe.)

And I'd still prefer "tight" over "crisp." Crisp denotes light, trebly sound. But I know what you mean.

Looks like we need a new word in our dictionary!

How 'bout "vivid?"

Meade
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    taut bass....sounds better
    Meade
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    That'd be audiophile..not audiofile.
    you get the point. I have the sub in my P5 and it's very boomy. I need to do some fine tuning.

I have a pair of MB Quart 5 1/2 with crossovers I may put in the doors and a 50 watt Alpine amp to run them. But, I'll see If I can clean things up before I start pulling things apart.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    That would be Klipsch, not Klipsche. Audio innovator, inventor and manufacturer Paul Klipsch was a unique and charismatic individual - see www.klipsch.com for his biography.
    I'm not an audiofile.

Meade
    Shame on Meade for misspelling. ;-)
    Mede
    I installed the variable speed intermittent wipers on my P5 tonight. I wish all mods were so easy. They work great. Someone needs to tell Mazda to make the variable speed feature standard. Also got the windows tinted. I got something extra this time. It is called UV Shield. It goes on the windshield and protects from UVb. I am reserving judgment until the film is finished drying. I like the theory. I am just unsure of how good the film will look when dry.
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    agreed, they should be standard.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    I had forgotten about that and really wanted it the other day. Now you have me all excited again.

Where is the best place to buy that MPV stalk?
    I got mine from mazdastuff.com. Price was $79 plus shipping. They are currently advertizing them on their homepage.
    It looks like Mazda may offer the spare tire mounted subwoofer from the 03 P5 as an accessory for the earlier models. A part number is showing up in their system: 0000-8F-J01. List price is $250. Mazdastuff.com quoted me $200 plus shipping. Availability is TBD. I sent an e-mail to Mazda to see if/when it will be available and if it will work in other Mazdas (Protege sedan, Miata, etc.). I'll post their response when I get it.
    Wonder how hard it would be to wire. I'd certainly be interested, if it didn't take too much.
    If I was going to spend $200 on a sub, it wouldn't be this one. You can do much better. Especially if I had to wire it myself.

Here's one on ebay for $60.00 + $20 shipping-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item- =2411842528&category=38647

Personally I'd go this route for ease and sound quality -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3019245338- &category=3291
    That El Camino sub looks VERY similar to the one I saw in the P5. Interesting...
    That is the one from the P5. It used to be a Pioneer product but, they dumped it. I'm saying if you're going to buy one don't spend $200. (Sorry I wasn't clear on that point.) Seeing as we now know it was also used in the El Camino, we have more to search for. I've been looking all over for this sub cause I wanted an instruction manual. I know crutchfield.com sold them awhile back but, they don't anymore. I'm sure with a little diggin you can find them cheaper than $200

Then again, if you are open to other options get the Infinity.
    The reason I was looking for the spare tire mounted sub was to save space, but it doesn't sound like it works that well. I will probably do without for now anyway.

They were still making the El Camino in '87!?!
    I just emailed Pioneer (seeing as I now know the model number was TS-WX50) to get an owners manual and to find out if they still produce it.

Maybe I'm being a little too critical of the sub. I haven't heard the stereo without it so, I don't know how bad it can be. I played with it a bit last night and it definately adds to the system.

It seems this stereo is very touchy. It sounds decent with many of my CD's some of the electronic/dance music sounds very good and my Very Best of the Who sounded good but, the radio generally sounds bad.

I'd buy it for $100 but for $200 (or close) I think I'd pass. Like I said, for a little more cash it could sound much better. Especially if you have to install it.

Late breaking news from Pioneers website-

Model No - tswx50 SRP
    Introduction Date - 0494
    Description - Car subwoofer

Price - $160.00 (new)

Spare Tire-type sBASSaver subwoofer -150 watts max. 5 1/4 impp

Alas they do not manufactuer or stock it any longer. But, now I have a full name to look for. (Bassaver)
    I know you said you'd probably pass on it right now but, I figured I'd give you this anyway.

http://www.carreview.com/Subwoofers/Infinity+Basslink/PRD_96779_1- 808crx.aspx#reviews

Sounds nice!
    Thanks my palindromic friend. It definitely looks like I should steer clear.
    "Thank you for contacting Mazda North American Operations. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you.

I was advised by my Parts Department that the subwoofer is not available as an accessory to your 2003 Mazda Protege5 is the reasoning that I was given. First of all, the vehicle is not wired for the subwoofer and the harness is not compatible on a non-equipped vehicle. Secondly, the trunk boards are different from the non-equipped vehicle as well. Basically, the subwoofer and components are strictly "service parts" and not intended for an add-on accessory feature. Additionally, we have not seen or heard of anything in the works in the future for this car, the sedan, or the Miata.

I apologize that the subwoofer cannot be added on to your vehicle. I hope this explanation was clear. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance or answer any additional questions."

I believe most of that I suppose. I am unsure whether to believe the part about the harness being incompatible with the "non-equipped" vehicles. I seriously doubt they changed the head units on Protege5s exclusively to accommodate the subwoofer. As I am not that interested anymore, I do not plan to further pursue the matter with Mazda.
    Anyone with a cargo tray? Likes/dislikes? Price and where to buy.

Any info would be helpful.
    I have it and really like it. I don't worry about how much dirty stuff I put back there and then just scub it when it gets really dirty. Much easier than trying to get stuff out of the carpet.

I bought it from mazdastuff.com, but can't remember what I paid. It appears to be $39 now.

I also have the cargo net, which I really like, but my wife thinks is the dumbest thing ever.
    I just got one. It seemed prudent since we got rid of the Cherokee. Seems like it will hold up well. I got mine from Mazdastuff. $39 is a good value IMO.
    Just ordered from mazdastuff.com.
  • manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    I noticed that the rear doors in my 2001 Protege ES have speaker grills, but no speakers. Does anyone know if the rear doors are pre-wired for speakers?
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    No, they are not pre-wired, but it would not be too hard to do if you wanted. The problem is, you can only put 6.5" speakers back there, and clearance is a little tight. They are so low on the door, that the sound pretty much gets lost. I noticed this after upgrading the ones in my P5. I would recommend against it, unless you are planning to upgrade the head unit and add an amp with which you could turn up the gain to compensate.
  • manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    Damn Boggse, you're everywhere!

Question on tires? Boggse has the answer.

Question on speakers? Boggse to the rescue.

Why don't you just give me your private email address so I can send my questions to you directly?

Anyways, I was actually playing around with the idea of putting in a 4-channel amp and using 2 channels to power the rear door speakers and bridging the other 2 channels into a subwoofer.

I just assumed that if I add more speakers, I would have a better sounding system. It seems like the more speakers you add, the better sound you get.
    The amp will only get you halfway there. The stock head unit doesn't like to play with amps. The resulting sound is not very good. If you add an amp and speakers, I would plan on a new head unit as well.
This discussion has been closed.