Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• tbodentboden Member Posts: 4
    I recently bought a 93 xj6 and when i got it home the radio went into lockout it says (code) when i push buttons it says (wait) how can i find the proper code for this
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Ahhh...

You Locked it!

Here is what you need to do, you need to get the radio code from the dealer (Unless it is still with the manuals to the car).

In order to do this, you need the radio serial number. Now, there's two ways to get this.

1) Pay dealer to pull radio and get code.

2) Pull radio yourself, get serial # off back or radio, take to dealer.. get code.

TO REMOVE RADIO:

(This isnt too tough really)

First, you need to remove the ashtray. Open the center console, unscrew the screws that hold the cubby in place. Then pop the ashtray out carefully (You'll need to unplug the wires that plug to the lighter housing).

Once you have done that, the "Ski Slope" piece of wood has to get out. First, remove the crome and leather piece around the shifter, they just pop off easily.. but be careful not to bash them all aprat. they are a bit fragile.

OK, got the ashtray assembley and the shifter indicator trim off, right? OK, in front of where the ashtray goes, under the wood, are two white plastic thumbscrews... undo them carefully, and then CAREFULLY remove the piece of wood. Once you have the wood pulled up and out, then you'll see a black plastic housing that holds the AC control panel, clock/lock/light switches and stereo. Undo the 6 or so screws holding it in, and out comes the radio.

Serial Number is on the back fo the radio.

Or, just look under the hood for a 4-number code... sometimes it is there. :)

Hope this helps!

Bill
    Since ya entered the wrong code 3+ times, the radio is locked.

Key on, in acessory position (Dont have the dash lights on... radio on, but no dash lights or AC)and let it sit for 2 hours.

Radio will unlock itself.

Bill
    thanks for the info bill. it went smooth and the radio is working fine now
    Cool! :)

Now I got a 94 On the lot that I have to do the same thing with.. 'cept I have to pull the radio to GET the code..arrgh!

Bill
  • exoticarexoticar Member Posts: 13
    Hi all !!! :-)

New to the Jag forums, though I did post already in the XJ-S specific forum as there was a lot less to read so far, but sure tok me long enough to read ALL the posts in this one.

Glad to be a new addition to a select group :-)

Bill, thanks for the "welcome" in the other place :-) ... say ... Bill as in William? If so, same here :-)

By the way, as I've not yet seen my car (1990 XJ-S), what can I expect color wise? It's supposed to be a darkish blue in and out. Any nice? What's the name of the colors?

Hmm...

Its' probably a color called "Solent Blue" or perhaps "Tungsten Blue" (Get me the color code off of the door jamb and I can check) which is a deep, slightly greyish, metallic blue. Very classy and understated. I like it.
    You're gonna LOVE it. Just remember the V12 Mantras:

DO NOT EVER EVER EVER EVER OVERHEAT IT! EVER!

Fresh Castrol 20W50 every 3000 miles. Check level every 500 (They leak and burn some.. thats normal.)

All will be well :)
    Bill (William Weismann.. lol)
  • sho3sho3 Member Posts: 28
    I'm having a hard time filling up my XJ8, after about 10 to 12 gallons the gas pump shuts off.
    I've tried reducing the flow without any success
    I don't recall having this problem the first or
    second time I filled the tank. Any suggestions
    could it be a problem with my gas gauge not reading correctly ?
    Thanks Bill,

I just did a search on those two colors and they are both nice, at least now I can start seeing it in color at night rather then just plain black and white :-)))

V12 Mantras ....... !???...... hummmm ..... heuuuuu ...... nawwwww (knock on wood)

Overheat is rarer up where I live but of course I'll always have at least one eye on that gage, however it seems that the Bars Leek stuff had been taken care of when the owner started to bring it to my friend's place.

Oil leaks? As in those from the valve covers that make you need to change the alternator every year? Nawww .... that too was taken care of with the proper newer gaskets :-)

20W50 .... !!??? I seem to remember having read only about 10W30 and 10W40 in the forums so far. What's the advantage of 20W50 ? Though I was considering going synthetic .. good or bad idea?

By the way, do you sleep on-screen to reply soooooo fast !?? ;-)))

Sure hope it'll be closer to one week than two before it's in my driveway :-)
  • hyperion1hyperion1 Member Posts: 17
    I had the fuel sending unit replaced in my 1998 XJ8 so I wouldn't be surprised if yours is bad. Fairly common glitch.

Ted
    what is the proper size cat for the hood of a 93 xj6 i see mostly 5 inch ones for prices ranging from 14.00 to 118.00 dollars and larger ones for more than that which one is correct for this car?
  • willimjowillimjo Member Posts: 73
    Bill- you don't know me, but I've been following your writings for the past year or so in various forums and have come to respect your willingness to provide honest and complete input to those that ask... so I'd like to impose on you.

I'm looking at 98 XJ8's, preferably L's. I've found a few low mileage examples (22k-33k). Asking prices are $30-33k. These are all dealer cars. How much "wiggle" room could I expect to find in the price. Most are Black/Tan, one is Green/Tan, most with weather package, about half with CD.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

James
    Busier than in Trade-InValues tonight!

(Im up late... I just bought a 356 today and am doing research... luckily I cna deal with 4-5 hours of sleep..)

Sho: Check position of the fuel nozzle.. They can be pissy aboutthis. Otherwise a Tank vent is prolly blocked.

Bill: yes, they like Heavy Oil. But if you're up North.. 10W40 Winter, 20W50 in defrost season :)

Tboden: Neither is technically "Correct" as they didnt come with em from the factory until about December 1995 Production. Euro version still dont come with them (Neither are they legal in the EU). So, the Large one or the small one? Personal preference. Check http://www.jagbits.com for pricing. Some of the cheap ones are junky knockoffs and look like crap within 6 months.

James: Cool, I have a fan club! :) OK.. Figure you should be ableto buy a Low-Miler, as a Select, 1998 for about $30-31K from a Jag dealer and $29-30K from an Independent. Where ya located? If it has to be Select and from a Dealer, And you're near NY City..try Montclair Jaguar in North Jersey...they're really agressive on used cars.

Ted: That's because you like getting new parts silly :) Gimme a calltomorrow.. youneed to see the 356 I just bought!

Bill

Thanks for the info, Bill. I'm in the Chicago area.

This would be our first Jag. I like the idea of the Select warranty, but from what you're saying, paying more than $1000-1500 for it is paying too much.

How fast should the price come down as the mileage goes up? Being able to get a nice 98 XJ8-L in the $27k-28k range would be a tad more comfortable right now. What kind of mileage might I be looking at to get the price in this range?

Have you, or anyone else, heard or know of the buying service at cybersourceauto.com? The examples of previous delivered XJ8's they give certainly sound appealing. Any reason to steer away from an independent that sources and delivers what you're looking for less than you can find it on a lot?
  • captaintjcaptaintj Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. For Brentwoodvolvo. What is the difference between the Pirelli P4000ZR and the Dunlop SP5000W for a VDP.I can get the Pirelli's for $179.00 ea. installed and $126.00 for Dunlops. Are the Dunlops actually better, or is your prefference based on the lower cost. I only have 20K on the Pirelli's and they already need replacing. Are the Dunlops quiet and will they last longer?

Bye the way, I love my 2000 Platinum VDP. Thanks for your time.

Ted from Somers Point, N.J.
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    Try browsing the website for texascarsdirect.com

Even if you aren't willing to buy from them, the site is still an excellent barometer of pricing for various models and mileages.

The dealers in my neck of the woods (well, all 2 of them) ask crazy money for the used stock, though they obviously try to cherry-pick their inventory from the auctions. Still, the Select designation isn't worth a 10k markup.

Another option is to take a Disney vacation, and combine it with a trip to Bill's store. Then you can drive it home.
    That's what I was going to do, but Bill wouldn't get me a supercharged VDP in my color.
    Thanks for the site suggestion. Their prices do appear to be a few thousand less than advertised prices around Chicago. It gives me more to go on. I appreciate it.
    Well..

The cars all come from the same place, largely Jaguar credit auctions. Generally you will get a much better price from an Independent, but you wont get an SE Warranty.

I am selling, retail, Ls with miles in the 34-38Kish range for $27K to 27,500 (What I am GETTING, not asking..) and Lower milers for closer to $29K.. and Higher Milers for closer to $24-25K.

So Im sure you can get similar deals in Chicago, prices arent much different up there really. Maybe $500-1K higher at the Manheim, PA auction, but about the same as here at the Detroit Auction.

Just Carfax it, check it for paintwork..etc...

Bill
    Well...

The OEM P4000E tires arent All-Season tires! If you want the best [non-permissible content removed].. get P6000 Sport Veloces, but the Dunlops are also very good. Both last longer, are cheaper and offer similar grip.

Nice looking car BTW..Platinum looks great! :)

Bill
    The trick is FINDING a VDP S/C! =O

Last 2 I have seen were... 1) High Miler (00 with 51K.. PASS) and 2) Topaz/Oatmeal... 99 with 45K.. not too bad but oodles of paintwork.. PASS!

Bill
    Thanks again Bill. I'll have to keep looking. I'm sure *my* XJ8 is out there somewhere!
  • derel2derel2 Member Posts: 49
    Hi everyone:

I just recently was lucky enough to purchase a 1995 XJ6 with a 4.0L engine (AJ16 I believe) in excellent condition with 54,000 miles. Can anyone tell me how much horsepower this engine is rated at?

Thanks,

Derel2
  • Bill would know better. But, I believe it's 240HP.

BTW, if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it? I'm thinking of getting a 95 sedan to compliment my convertible.
    There is an interesting XJ8 on ebay that they call a 'faux' XJR. It's a regular 99 or 00 XJ8 with 18" chrome wheels, and XJR grill and badging. I really like to looks, but I think I'd rather have the 370hp to go with it.
    interesting model though.
  • I never understand people "re-badging" their cars to make them appear to be more expensive models. It's stupid, petty, and childish.
    Thanks for the information. I don't mind you asking. I paid $16.5K.

Another question: The manual mentions not to cover or obscure the solar sensor located on top of the dash under the windshield. I can't find anywhere where it mentions what this sensor is for. Can anyone help?
  • peachtree103peachtree103 Member Posts: 182
    Congrats on the Jaguar.

I didn't know they were solar powered, either.
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    Solar sensor is part of the climate control, I think. If I am not wrong the climate control monitors interior and exterior temp. and the amount of sunlight coming in to the car in order to maintain consistant temperature in the vehicle.

HP I think is 245
    Yeah I saw that "Faux" XJR... What a joke.

THe AJ6 Engine (95-97) in NON SUPERCHARGED for has 245hpand 289 lb-ft of torque.

The Solar sensor is for the climate control system...Its used to determine sunlight so the ACworks more efficiently. 85 degrees in sunlight demands more fromyour ACsystemthat 85 degrees at night.

Bill
    Thanks all for your help.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    Well, now they have the XJ8 Sport, which looks a lot like the XJR. And even though I have a pretty new XJR, I think the XJ8 Sport is something they should have done a long time ago - I actually got the XJR mostly for the more aggressive design cues. The engine and power are awesome and stuff, but honest, 370HP is totally ridiculous overkill, and you hardly ever even remotely exploit it in traffic. 290HP are plenty. Besides, even the XJR can't hold a candle to my motorcycle when it comes to acceleration... :-)
  • rayh3rayh3 Member Posts: 38
    A couple came into our store to see the new X-Type.....well they came on the lot spotted a salesman who was getting a stock number off a car and shouted "where is that $349/month car?". The salesman shows the customer the car and brings them inside to discuss the lease. I have to appraise the trade. It is a 98 Toyota Corolla CE with a lovely 6 inch V8 sticker just below the CE badging! A couple of our technician also saw it and were about to fall down laughing. Who do these people think they are fooling? Needless to say we couldn't make a deal. They wanted about half price for our car and full retail book for theirs.
    Hey, at least the contradictory "Type-R" sticker wasn't on there yet.
  • Maybe they were referring to the vegetable juice.
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    Being a Chrome fan (I know, I know, I'm a weirdo), I'd prefer to do just the opposite. Take an XJR, loose the dark interior and painted grille for their Vanden Plas counterparts, and have the 370 hp engine it what looks like a "lesser" car. Personally, when I see cars originally designed to have chrome grilles that have been painted body colored (even by the factory), it looks like a cheap Krylon paint job to me.
  • drewkarililydrewkarilily Member Posts: 5
    so....which would you choose and why..

a 1997 xj6VDP pretty much with no extras other than the vdp package and 50K miles

or

a 1995 XJR with 47,000 miles and the traction, harmon kardon sound heated seats, etc...

both are red tones

both are similarly priced

thanks for the input...i'm a new guy...looking for a good deal on a jag in missouri

i've already read this whole forum...great info and thanks for further input in advance
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    rea -

They do make the XJR with the light oatmeal interior :-) Dark interiors are just not for California, my XJR is white with a light interior, I can't stand dark cars for practical reasons, nice as it looks. Besides, I am superstitious, and have always had white cars, and green or yellow motorcycles. As to the chrome, I am not big on it when it comes to exteriors, but I *love* the VDP interior and wish they'd have that baby Bentley look in the XJR. Besides, the XJR still has that leaper in chrome... :-)

But what I actually like about the XJR compared to the E55 and M5 is the fact that it's far lower key, it's still relatively subtle design cues (even though the usually conservative XJ8 crowd probably raises its collective eyebrow), and people that don't know Jags simply can't tell the fact there's a powerful car there. Also, don't forget Jag does carry the VDP with the supercharged engine. I just think the long wheelbase doesn't look as drop-dead gorgeuous as the short version. Still one of the nicest car shapes out there, but the profile of the short door version is the more balanced design, in my humble opinion.
    Which one ya like better?

VDPs are a much better Value per se, and the 6-cyls have come way down in the past 18 months. Way way down.

I just sold a Topaz 97 with 52K on it for $20K even, and Just sold a 61K mile 96 XJR for $21,600.

So ya see the difference :)

If its the Guy in.. shall we say... South of Northwest Plaza and North of Olive Blvd... Make sure youhave a good prepurchase inspection done...

Bill
    Ya need a Vanden Plas Supercharged then!

:)

And RB, I saw an Anthracite 00 on eBay..... I did just get one in, but its an 02 with 3K miles and very very uncheap.

Bill
    I ended up working with the buyer service out of Chicago area, cybersourceauto.com. He's at a large high-line off lease auction in Pennsylvania today and just called with a couple prospects worth pursuing.

It'll be tough to get through the rest of the day wondering how the bidding might be going and whether he can get one of the cars we discussed within my agreed budget. I'll probably know this evening if I will soon become a XJ8 owner, or have to keep looking.
    Ya, I see it too. Wonder what the reserve is? Bidding's at 35k. Wish that was the reserve! I'd "Buy it now".

Although, I'm not a big fan of that color. The few black ones I've seen on the road around here look a bit too funeral-like.
    Then again, many of them are in lousy external condition. Some folks can't be bothered to even get the car washed, let alone waxed. shame.

Bill, I'll trade you my E for your supercharged V straight up. Do we have a deal? I'll even throw in the floormats.
    Is it a perfect Flat Floor, Outside Bonnet Lock Roadster?

We may have a deal then... :)

This one is $69K...

Bill

PS.. Willm, I have a buyer there too.. from what we bought today, Im sure you lucked out...
    Did your guy buy the 98 Topaz VDP with 37,000 miles? My contact said it was an absolute beauty, the best 98 available (a 9.9 on a scale of 1-10, and there's no such thing as a 10). It went for a little north of $32.5k.

I apparantly will soon be the owner of a 98 XJ8-L, sapphire/ivory, 34,000 miles, everything except the CD changer (a 9.8 on his scale).

Now, what do you suggest is the best approach to adding a CD player? Where do you go for a OEM Jaguar stacker? Or would you suggest going with a non-OEM high-line changer. It would be nice to have in-the-dash convenience, but I'll stick to the trunk mount to maintain interior originality.
  • wesdrwesdr Member Posts: 15
    My Jaguar saga began about 2 years ago. A used lot near my house always has a couple of XJS's. I don't need a new car, but I started thinking those were pretty cool for the money. Then I started learning about jag models and gradually started thinking I'd like to find a certified pre-owned XJR for $40-$50K. At the same time, I liked the extra features of the VDP (OK, it's mostly the tray tables). Eventually I decided I deserve to own at least one nice car in my life, so I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new Super V8. This seems to be a knowledgable board, so I'm looking for advise. Part of my delimna is that I know the XJs are being revamped, but I don't like the pictures I've seem of the new style. However, I think I would appreciate the new performance and technological features. Or should I consider the XJR-100?

I haven't thought seriously about other makes, but should I? I'm pretty young to be driving an XJ. I could get something like a Viper, but that would just be too flashy at work. I like the idea of the Super V8 because I think it's somewhat understated. Just a nice sedan that happens to haul [non-permissible content removed].

Any comments would be appreciated, as well as advice on the actual purchase. I'm in Southern California, but would probably consider buying the car anywhere in the country if there was a compelling reason.
    Here"s a little place you might want to look at for some info.

http://www.jag-lovers.org/

• cediadudecediadude Member Posts: 13
    Help! I'm looking at either buying a '98 or '99 XJ8, and I'm confused as heck about the traction control option. I have seen cars with the "Trac Off" button as well as cars with the "ASC Off" button (same position, right side of console). Is ASC the same as Traction Control? If not, what is the difference? How well do either work? My guess is that Traction Control is some sort of "super ASC", so if you got traction control you DIDN'T get the ASC Off button since the ASC is a subset of Traction Control. I called three different Jag dealers and got three different answers (they are the same, they are completely different, and ASC is a subset of Traction control and every car had ASC while Traction Control was an option). This question is driving me bonkers!
  • rayh3rayh3 Member Posts: 38
    Any of the supercharged variants of the XJ series are great cars. I prefer the styling queues of the XJR over the Super V8, but that is subjective. The XJR100 is an incredible car but you will not find any deals on that since each dealer is lucky to see one or two. I see that you're in southern california. If you ever want to take all 3 for a drive drop me an email.
  • sho3sho3 Member Posts: 28
    ASC reduces the power from the engine when it detects wheel spin. Traction Control adds braking
    to the equation.
    I think we were on the car you got. IIRC its a beauty. No paint.. if it has a tiny chip next top the leaper, its the one. Didnt go for stupid $$ either.

The day I spend $32,500 on a 1998 VDP it had damn well better have under 10K miles on it :)

As far as CD Changers go.. watch eBay like a hawk... Dealer-Only part and aftermarket "add-on" changers suck IMO. Besides, ya cant use the cool steering wheel controls to change CDs/Tracks!

Bill
    Awesome cars.

You need to look at a Supercharged Vanden Plas (Or now they call it the Super V8, right? The 02 I have in stock says "Vanden Plas" and underneath it is says "supercharged" on the same badge.

But I'd also consider going with an 00 or 01 used. 99 ifn you can find one. Awesome, kick-[non-permissible content removed] machine! XJR Power, + CATS (Active suspension) AND you get the Wonderful VDP guts/body size.

New theyre like $80K. Used? A BOATLOAD less. VDPs have the worst resale of any of the new Jags percentagewise. While they're now wonderful cars... you can get slammed on resale.

I sold an 02 in Platinum Silver with an Oatmeal Interior this past week for $69,500. It had under 10K miles and will be worth at least $10K less next year. Probably in the mid-50s retail. But this guy was about to go new.

They're out there.. a Month ago a Carnival Red one did $65K at Manheim (Damned MSO car I couldnt buy) and it had like 6500 miles on it too. Ya had to be able to buy that car for $71K even if the dealer was holding out to make a few bucks (Which they probably would be and could be on a VDP S/C.. I dont even have to advertise them when I get em.. but still. thats $9K off right there.)

Just my 2 cents :)

Bill