Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• cgrubercgruber Member Posts: 5
    I was wondering what the outcome was on the transmission problem that someone had before. I'm having the same problem myself. The transmission is shifting hard from first to second gear and downshifting hard as well. Please let me know what the problem happen to be.
  • pluskinpluskin Member Posts: 79
    I have to admit that the XJC does not sound familiar. What was it?
  • sho3sho3 Member Posts: 28
    I was wondering what is the difference between the
    premium sound and harman kardon in a XJ8 ?
    Bill I plugged in the numbers from my XJ8 into
    the TMV calculator and notice after three months
    and 2,500 miles the TMV for my car is higher. Hey
    in a year I'll be able to sell it for the price
    of a new one :)
  • jonty12jonty12 Member Posts: 101
    xjc was a 2 door version of the xj in the mid-late 70's. check out jag-lovers.com or do a search, you'll find lots of pictures.
    Bill I plugged in the numbers from my XJ8 into
    the TMV calculator and notice after three months
    and 2,500 miles the TMV for my car is higher. Hey
    in a year I'll be able to sell it for the price
    of a new one :)
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Member Posts: 111
    Some months back, my '97 VDP had one episode of engine hesitation while cruising on the highway, followed by the same kind of "thunking" while decelerating. It went away the next time I started the engine.

Have you had your throttle recall service performed yet? I don't know if there's any relation between the throttle problem and the tranny problem. It felt to me like the car was having a "limp home" episode. My engine codes were clean. I haven't had any trouble with it since, but I also had the recall service performed about 3 months ago.

Hope your problem goes away..
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Check out the Jagtalk boards for XK8 info,.. the ones in TH are DEAD.

Congrats! :)

Bill
    Well..

Ron stopped by last weekend and I drove his car. It does not feel right, but it's not something I have felt before. Something amiss... but I am not sure what. I feel he needs to take it into the dealer (His car is a select edition) and complain to them.. I think they oughta replace the tranny personally.

Bill
    Yeahup. TMV is right. Jags are real strong right now.. prices are definetly up.

hk vs standard? 280 watts and a Subwoofer and standard CD vs 80 watts. Better speakers too.

Bill
  • lindsay8lindsay8 Member Posts: 21
    My 98XJR came with a Jag Motorola but the original owner changed the power cord to a non Motorola type so he could use a different phone.
    Obviously it won't plug into the Motorola so I went to my dealer and was informed $150.00 CDN for the OEM cord. Now this cord is identical to a $20.00 cigarette lighter phone cord but has a different end for plugging in to the car's wiring so I think the dealer price is unreasonable. I am wondering if anyone know's who the jobber is that buiklds these pieces or another source. Anyone?
  • jarmstrong2jarmstrong2 Member Posts: 38
    Hello Bill:
    I read on the internet that you need to change the drive belt tensioners if the XJ8 has high mileage on it. Someone said they can break and Jag has had several recalls on it. Can you expand on this if you have experienced this?

Jarmstrong
    And how best to apply it? These wheels seem to have chronic brake dust crud on them which the usual car wash products have little effect on.
    Not that I have heard... I dont know of any failures. Maybe its the timing chain tensioner on the 6-cyls you are thinking of?

lindsay8: I would use P21S Wheel cleaner. It is GREAT stuff.

Bill
    Bill,
    Would you happen to know what the common problems would be on a 94 XJ6 or aka (XJ40)? If your not sure do you know what website or person to go to.

Thanks,
    cgruber
    I wrote the website :)

http://www.jag-lovwers.org/modern

Basically... Headliners in the Southeast, Check Engine lights, AC Evaporators, cosmetic problems, rust in the North, Faded clear coat in the deep south, Cheap tires (I wouldnt wanna buy a Jag from someone who got rubber at Pep Boys...), Head Gasketscan go, diffs arent a problem on 94s, Check the door handles, if they are "stiff" they need adjustment.

Overall though, they are quite reliable and a LOT of car for the cash. I certainly sell a lot of them. When you have a clean 94 XJ6 for under $10K parked next to a clean 94 E320 for $12-13K... the car makes a very strong argument!

Bill

Thanks for letting me know. I was wondering why would the transmission shift hard from 1st to 2nd gear but not the other gears. Also it will only do it some of the time.

Christopher
    That aint normal... May be a throttle pot going bad on ya, and that's responsible for 95% of the problems on Tranny lights on XJ40s.

Bill
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    "I wouldnt wanna buy a Jag from someone who got rubber at Pep Boys...",

I wouldn't even get tires for my '78 Mercury from there! Yosimite Sam mudflaps are all they are good for, and something tells me those would be a bit out of character on a Jaguar.
    But, the light isn't coming on. It just shifts hard when it is warm outside. I know the light works in the dash because it comes on when I start the car.

read98d,
    I would have to agree with you. Yosimite Sam mud flaps would be rather out of character on any foreign car.

Christopher
    You tried a tranny flush yet?
  • Bugs Bunny is OK, though.
    Huh?

www.prozac.com

=D
  • Are you unfamiliar with the Bugs Bunny/Yosemite Sam connection? Were you ever a kid, or did you own a go-kart dealership when you were young?
    ;-)
    Go-Kart dealership :)

heheheheheheh.....

Whassamatta baby? Cant take it? LOL!

Bill
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    I think putting the Sam "back Off!" mudflaps on a jag would be pretty funny.

A guy's got to be secure to do it.
    Hmmmmm

Dont tempt me. The SC is in the garage minding its' own business and I may have to go harass it.

Bill
  • derel2derel2 Member Posts: 49
    My back has been acting up and I would like to avoid going under the Jag to do an oil change. Has anyone used one of the oil siphon pumps that work through the dipstick tube? Do they work well?

Mike
    95 XJ6
    I have never used one and Never will.

Why? I feel that draining out of the pan gets a lot of the crap and crud that accumulates out of there...

Bill
  • bbnurzbbnurz Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to convince my husband to ditch his '86 BMW for a late model Jaguar. The Jag is his dream car . . . but he's reluctant to drive one as he doesn't want to appear ostentatious.

This message board has convinced me . . . and I shall convince him. Definitely will get the long wheelbase XJ6 or the VDP.

Now, I've created a hard copy of the Care Advise that Netranger4 posted approx. 1 year ago. It's the daily care duties. After cruising through some 350 messages, I cannot find the weekly and monthly care duties. Were they posted? How can I get that information? I searched the message board, but came up with 1281 messages when using the title and user name of the original message.

Terri
    If you're on a 1996 or newer...

Here's what to look out for:

Sagging headliners in FL/GA/TX/S. CA but Mainly in FL.
    DOA Trunk key lock up north.
    Electric Tilt motor in steering column freezes.
    Seat memory work?
    Sunroof tracks (It better slide back and forth silently.. and make sure the headliner panel doesnt "hang down" when you pop the roof up.
    Radios can break (But new/reman ones are like $150.. not the end of the world).

Here's what to remember:

They like V or Z rated tires. Personally I like Pirellis,but Michelin MXV4s do ride softer..
    Castrol Oil
    Castrol GT/LMA Brake Fluid
    Premium Fuel
    Change Oil every 3K
    Watch for accident damage/abuse/nitwit owners who have the $$ to buy a $15K XJ6 but doint have the $$ to maintain it.

Basically.. the 95+ Sedans are bordering on bulletproof. These are VERY strong and reliable cars.

Bill
  • jagger5jagger5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Bill,
    I have two questions for you:
    1. How much could I expect to pay for a replacement rear exhaust manifold on a 1995 XJR.
    2. Where can I find replacement parts for my radio? (LCD display, radio button)

Thanks!
    Bad exhaust Manifold?

OY! That's a new one...

Check:

www.jagbits.com

Also

www.coventrywest.com

Also... for used Parts...

www.car-part.com

For the radio? Pop in a $150 factory reman one from the dealer.

Bill
  • inneedofhelpinneedofhelp Member Posts: 29
    Bill I resently joined the X(300) list at Jag-lovers and I notice a few posts about premature
    failures of the V8 in the XJ series. There was also one post that Jaguar of England is extending
    the warranty on the engine until 100,000 miles.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    The engine has been out since '97. There are cars with *very* high mileage out there that have really been trashed. The engine seems to have a very good reliability track record. I am not sure why Jaguar would extend the warranty to 100k unless they felt pretty confident of their quality...
    One of my outside headlights is out on my 98. I recall a friend telling me he replaced one in his XK for $300 CDN. I wish to avoid paying this much if possible. Either US or CDN cources okay.
  • bsudderthbsudderth Member Posts: 6
    On my wife's 2002 XJ Sport, the audio and speed control buttons on the steering wheel do not light up at night as do all the main buttons on the dash console. My dealer advises that there is no way to do this and that this is normal. This seems very illogical to me as the control buttons on my 2000 S-type steering wheel do light. I believe there is simply a loose wire/connection somewhere.

Could all 2002 XJ owners pls advise if your steering wheel controls do or do not light up at night, when all other lights are on.

Thanks for the help.

Brant
    My friends headlight was actually replacement of the glass. Mine was simply an element out and I was able to replace the halogen for $16.00 CDN with a standard GE type bulb. Excuse my original post-this is how urban legends about repair costs get started. BTW I had curb damage on one of my factory XJR rims and was able to get dent removed and refinishing for $175.00 CDN. All I did was call around to a few body shops and ask who repaired mag wheels.
    Lights? Yeah.. the whole assembley is prolly $150 or more.. the element is, as you found out, around $10-15 US :)

V8 Engines? I
    ve already handled a few hi-mile XJ8s (Ted you were dumb not to grab that 100K miler TOpaz one I had.. $12K! oh well..) and they all seem to run fine.

But, again, there's not a LOT of 100K+ mile XJ/XKs in existence I dont think...

As far as the steering wheel buttons.. they do not light up. Once you are used to the car though, you sorta "know" where they are.

Bill
  • hyperion1hyperion1 Member Posts: 17
    Bill

You know I only like 4 banger import rebadgers and pick-up trucks.

Ted
    LOL..

Ted, How is the rebadger going?

PS.. you gotta see what dad picked up at SADE... swing by tomorrow. We outdid ourselves this time :)

Bill
  • jagmen1jagmen1 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2001 S Type 4.0 and have not had one single problem in 25,000 miles.Wonderful car! This was my second Jag after I purchased a 2000 S Type 3.0 and almost went Lemon Law after having an unusual amount of problems...Jaguar replaced my car and made me a customer for life. And despite what I have read about pre-1994 XJ40 sedans I went and purchased a 1991 Jade Green Sovereign. OK everyone, stop the whispering...I am not crazy- as a matter of fact..I Love this car! It has personality, ride is superb,everything works and it still turns heads do to its classic lines. And it doesn't have to cost a fortune to fix if you spend the time and LOOK for parts online at the many web sites geared towards the Jaguar owner.I have had good experiences with Coventry West in Georgia..very helpful. Oh, and make sure you have a mechanic you can trust. I take this baby up to 90 on the Florida Turnpike and I don't feel a single vibration. I also recommend Pirelli P4000 tires. The Bridgestone Turanza tires on my S Type are garbage. I like reading the stuff you folks write...its nice to know I'm not alone out there when I get accused of loving my cars more than my spouse!!!
    David
    91s can be great cars if they have the 3 major problem areas sorted out (Diff, self-levelling, head gasket).

I sell quite few when I can find nice ones.

You said FL... Do you live near Orlando? If so I know of some GREAT Techs in town. Also, if you're in Central FL..

http://www.catdriver.com <--Website of JCOF, Please join us! :)

Bill

• jagmen1jagmen1 Member Posts: 3
    I'm down in Ft.Lauderdale, originally from upstate NY...I was lucky to find a 91 that was an actual Palm Beach car, garaged and no fade or sun bleaching and PERFECT chrome all around- and the windows have only factory tint.
    Another note: I strongly recommend Maguires Scratch X to remove small scratches and even fade on older cars...my buddy has an older red Porsche and this stuff is amazing at feeding the paint and bring back the shine...its in a tube and I got it at Pep Boys.
    Good Luck!
    David
    That's why, as a dealer, I have a detail guy :)

hee hee.. I cheat.

Join the S. Florida Jag club... good bunch of people there.

PS.. Dad is from Rotterdam/Schnechtady

Bill
  • sayhey1sayhey1 Member Posts: 1
    I was recently at my local Jaguar dealership and one of the salespeople told me that the new XJ was not going to be debuted until April 2003 at the NYC or Detroit, I can't remember which, auto show.

Is this old news? I was under the impression that the debut was to take place in September 2002 in Paris.
  • derel2derel2 Member Posts: 49
    Can anyone tell me what names Jaguar used for the interior and exterior colors of my 95 XJ6? To me the exterior is black, the interior tan. The following codes are listed on the door panel plate: Paint= PDT Trim = SDC.

Mike
    If it is Black with a deep tan leather interior...

Then the exterior color is oficially called Black and the Interior color should be Coffee.

Shoot. I got a Black on Coffee 95 on the lot.. lemme check it..

Yeahup, you got Black over Coffee :)

Bill
  • I take mine with cream and sugar.
    After reading the Kia rants...

Maybe I need Irish Coffee