Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• Hertz gave me a Kia Rio, when I went back to NYC last week. I can rant for a while on what a steaming heap of crap it was.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Gary! Putz!

Its called an Upgrade! Maybe to a garbage truck... anything..LOL

Bill
  • lindalovescatslindalovescats Member Posts: 1
    Our l991 XJ6 was rear-ended and the insurance appraiser says it will cost more to repair than the value of the car. We've owned and loved this car for 11 years, it's given us 140,000 miles of great travel, it needed LOTS of repairs and replacements during its first 50k miles (covered by warranty) and the normal maintenance and repair since. Other than the accident damage, the car is in beautiful condition, runs well, probably is ready for some mechanical repairs, and makes us happy to own it every time to look at it/ride in it. Question: Is it crazy to have the body repaired and keep it ten more years? Is it dumb not to have air bags? Could they be installed in the l991 XJ6? Thanks.
    Ouch!

Sorry to hear that. These are VERY safe cars thank god. Hope you are OK.

Hmm.. a 91 Sovereign with 140K? Sadly that car has a retail value of about $5,000. So how badly was it hurt? It is probably totalled.

Now, airbags in a 1991? Not installable without ENORMOUS modifications (Buying a used X300 would be cheaper). If you like XJ40s.. Why not a 93 or 94? Nice ones with reasonable mileage are well under $10K... A nice 95-97 for under $20K is a ton of car for the cash.

Or go to an XJ8. Get like a 2000 and stay in the low $30ks.. Just dont buy new. They lose over $20,000 in the first 2 years...

Bill
  • rforerfore Member Posts: 17
    I took the 97 xj6l to Collier last week. They are nice folks but they mostly play by the book. They still insist the tranny is operating normally. They rode with me and acknowledged the abrupt down shifting, but they said they had another 97 on the lot and when they drove it, it performed the same way. Anyway, I am on record that there is a problem, in my opinion, so that if the tranny fails after select ed expires, I may still get it replaced. They also checked drive shaft and u joints and did some tightening, but no noticeable improvement. I think some others on the board were interested in whether I could get it fixed. Bill, they did replace a/c louvers in the front center and replaced the drivers door switch both under sel ed. The car had been getting reluctant to start. I figured the battery was going. While the car was there the battery finally gave out. It was the orig battery. They recommended an Interstate battery as a replacement. Said the Jag batteries were more expensive and less reliable. Said they don't use Jag batteries anymore. The car is now in great shape. BTW, the 95's-97's are actually two tons of car for the cash. Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • mveramvera Member Posts: 22
    I was thinking the same think but technically, aren't they 4 ton of car??
    I didn't do so well in school, but I believe a "short" ton, a measurement commonly used in the U.S., is 2,000 lbs and my Jag's curb weight is just over 4,000 lbs, ergo 2 tons.
  • Are they making them 8000lbs now? ;-)
    Only if my ex-mother-in-law is in the back seat :)
  • Bah dum pum
    I'd tell em in like 3K miles... that it is getting worse. Tell em you're getting PO'd..etc.. :)))

Who ya talkin to? Randy or Chad?

Bill
    Chad
    Lemme know next time it gets over there...

I got an "in" in there :)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • cgrubercgruber Member Posts: 5
    I also have the same problem with my 94 xj6 tranny. The dealership in Troy, Michigan (outside of Detroit) tells me the same thing about the hard shifting. But, thing is it never did it until about two months ago. So if you find out what the problem please let me know. I have had a tranny flush, but no fix.

Thanks,
    cgruber
  • mveramvera Member Posts: 22
    Sorry, lost my head and made an error! I meant 4000 pounds and my brain said 4 tons.

The mother-in-law cut was harsh, but she probably never fit into the back seat did she.
    You never met the demon.. LOL :)
  • inneedofhelpinneedofhelp Member Posts: 29
    My 99 XJ8 has an intermittent rough idle and lurches when put into gear. The service advisor
    at Jaguar of Novi recommended trying a can of
    dry gas but the problem still persist. Any suggestions
    before I take it back to the Dealer ?
  • derel2derel2 Member Posts: 49
    I am just getting ready to do my first oil change on my 1995 XJ6 (4.0 liter engine). I am not sure that the vehicle care book that I have is for the 1995 model. It indicates that the oil capacity is 8.5 U.S. quarts including the filter. Is this correct? I have no reason to doubt this but I am so used to all my other past cars (not Jags) that almost uniformly have had oil capacities of 4.5 - 5.0 quarts.

Mike
    Check the Throttle body.. they can get dirty over time...

Bill
    Yeahup! Correct.

And use Castrol! :)

Bill
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A major daily newspaper is looking for people who bought used luxury cars with the idea of moving upscale at discounted prices only to find out that the cost of parts and service was greater than expected. Were you surprised or shocked by the cost of routine maintenance and common repairs like mufflers, brakes, shocks and struts, transmissions, headlight replacement, etc.?

If so, please send an e-mail containing your contact information and vehicle description to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, June 12.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• lindsay8lindsay8 Member Posts: 21
    I just got back from a 3000 mile trip down the west coast. The car was great for high speed passing and on well banked curves but it listed like a torpedoed ship on the twisties. I found this quite surprising compared to a friend's XK8 convertible considering they have similar weight. I know the car is not an M3 and that's not what I am after but it would be nice to at least hang with an A8 or 7 Series BMW. I am thinking of maybe a front spring uipgrade of some kind. Any ideas?
    What weight Castrol do you recommend for the Orlando climate? Do any of the quick lube and oil change places here do Jags better than others?
    http://www.arden.de

Check it out :)

Bill

The moron who sold his old Arden XJR

Use 10W40... I think, ask Bill, they buy it in 55 gallon drums :)

As far as Quick Lube places? Aiiieee..... Not in any of my cars, ever!

The problem is they don't ever have the right filters for the cars. There are 3 brands of filters to use:

1) Jaguar
    2) Unipart (Unipart is to Jaguar as Motorcraft is to Ford)3) Crosland (They make em for Jaguar/Unipart)

I have not seen one used by a quickie-lube yet that has the proper capacity or anti-drainback valve.

Don;t worry tho.. Bill Suter can R&R an Engine for under $1,000.. and used motors are available cheaply... like $800 or so ... lol..

Seriously, I have seen a few of the cheap filters blow off of these engines..an instant loss of oil pressure does awful things to these babies.

Hey, swing by the store when ya get a chance so I can give ya an app for the Jag club!
    Bill
    What about Fram oil filters? I have seen these also recommended for Jags as they apparently also have the anti-drainback valve.

Mike
    Dosome research on the net... I do not like Frams and do not use them. In my own cars and my Inventory, we use either Crosland (Whatever the guys at All Jag use...) or Mann or Mahle filters. Failing that we use Purolator. I am probably being over-whiny, but I sleep a bit better at night. Just did an oil change today in the VDP S/C... That is a $5,000 motor USED....

Bill
  • akkoaakkoa Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

What would be a reasonable price for a very clean 1999 XJR with only 27K and Jaguar extended 100K waranty (3 years left).

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Akko
    I have been following some threads on the Jag-lovers X300 board about this problem. I had been aware of the BMW v8s having this problem but not the Jag. If anyone has had an engine go bad, or knows someone, what was the mileage? Also, where abouts was the car used? This failure is due to sulphur content in the gasoline which varies from one area to another and it would be nice to know who are most at risk. Anyone?
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    when one buys a "select edition" used Jaguar, or for that matter a "starmark" mercedes benz, or a "certified pre-owned" lexus, can it be assumed that these vehicles have never been in any kind of a wreck???...would it make sense that if the dealer says that these vehicles are the "cream of the used crop" that a collision has never been in their past, or would you still demand to see a Carfax report???

Bob
    I have not heard of it.. or seen any bad ones yet..

Bill
    (insert Eddie Murphy Laughter)

Seriously.. you would hope not.

Carfax reports? Not foolproof.

Check it out yerself carefully for paintwork :)

Bill
  • jagula68jagula68 Member Posts: 1
    Anybody out there? Just nod if you can hear me...

I'm not sure if my first message posted, so I'm leaving another one...sorry if it repeats...

I'm in the market for a '95 or '96 XJ6 or VDP. Bill...I need to swing by your place. I live in Altamonte Springs...where are you in Orlando???

Thanks for your help!

Melahn
    Nodding...

I cant discuss biz on here.. it get me yelled at.

My e-mail is in my profile...

Bill in Maitland
    PS.. I have an AWESOME mechanic near ya in Longwood.
  • keyrowkeyrow Member Posts: 214
    I doubt that my wife will notice the difference between the green colors, she just likes a dark green. I appreciate all the advise and I will let you know what I find, if anything. Again, thanks.
    Thanks for the oil change advice. Gotta be out of town for awhile but will get jag club app from you soon. BTW, you mentioned a headliner expert guy. I have an 88 merkur scorpio I am going to sell. The headliner sags in the back. Would this guy do repairs? If so email me at rfore@cfl.rr.com.with his name and number. Thanks.
    I checked the transmission fluid today on my 4.0L 1995 XJ6. The level was just touching the bottom of the hatched area on the dipstick (I checked the car after driving for 20 minutes and having run the J-gate through all gears). I would like to top-off the fluid level. Any estimate on how much fluid to add on first try to get within the hatched mark area on the stick? I would rather not guess for fear of over filling on the first attempt.
    Dont bother fixing it. New headliner is $250.. And the foam under the old headliner is probably rotten.

Like we said before.. car isnt worth much, better to sell as-is. Try eBay for it BTW..

Bill
    Try half a quart or so.. but it shouldnt be low. Check for a leak... THose do not typically leak, well, maybe the cooler lines can seep a tad (Bad o-rings at the radiator)... that I have seen.

Maybe a pan gasket too? Neither is a huge deal.

Bill
    Bill:

Went to the auto store today for some transmission fluid. Only two brands were available on the shelf, the store generic brand dexron III and Castrol. I Bought the Castrol Dexron III/Mercon fluid. Castrol indicates this is certified and approved for cars calling for Dexron III or Mercon. Is this OK to use in the Jag trans as well as the power steering unit?

Mike
  • ptitanicptitanic Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Vandem and well at the dealers for minor warranty work,I asked the price of an oil change and was quoted $80 [ouch]..how about just the filter? $35..Looking around the show room I see why the outrageous price.So as I was shopping at our local Wal-Mart I asked if the had a filter for my Jag and they didnt,so I purchased one at the NAPA parts store for $11 [Made in Germany ] went back and asked for an oil change with Top shelf Castrol..and they gave me credit for the filter that was not used.They did a profesional job although I stood there watching.Total cost apx.$25..I recomend them.
    Sorry, It wasn't clear to me who finally did the oil change. Was it Wal-Mart?

Mike
  • liquidlabliquidlab Member Posts: 23
    $35 for an oil filter?

Time to change dealer,your oil filter should be part# EAZ-1354 and has a list price of $14.95.
  • ttdcmailttdcmail Member Posts: 1
    I have an opportunity to purchase a 1997 VDP with 57,000 miles for $21,400. It is Topaz with creme interior and is in great condition. I would appreciate any feedback as I have been impressed with the quality of insights on this board..
    Bill is the used jag expert, but it sounds like a fair price. In March I bought a 97 xj6 long wheel base for just under 21k with 59k miles after the seller replaced rotors and pads on all wheels. I spent about $150 to have the jag dealer check out the car with the 120 point inspection. They turned up some things. The important thing for me is that the car was still under warranty on the select edition plan. Since then the drivers seat motors-4 of them-had to be replaced, the drivers door actuator, the center a/c louvers, the auto dimming mirror, the wiper switch, all under warranty-no deductible. I paid to have some cosmetic things done. Is the vdp a select edition car? If not, have it checked very thoroughly and get the repair/warranty work history on the car. Bill knew a great jag mechanic here in orlando. You will have the 60k maintenance coming up soon. The dealer will charge close to $1000. The non-jag dealer shop here charged $540, so expect to put some post-purchase $ in the car.I would use that as a bargaining tool to get the price below $21k.
    My friend bought a Dodge Stealth sight unseen from a private seller on the other side of the country and Carfax came back clean. It turned out it had been involved in a fatality but he was impaired so no insurance coverage for coverage for his vehicle. It just happened that the car was originally from the same province where the car had the accident and thru a series of odd coincidences he found the original buyer and so he discovered ii to be a death car too late. He also had a Dodge dealer do an inspection which never showed this. A body shop easily identified the damage repair and corrected some of the more obvious concerns. He later resold it and his buyer never knew because his own Carfax and his own Dodge dealer never found out. If you have a regular body shop they can probably tell you in a couple of minutes for no charge. You might want a Jag dealer to do a thorough pre purchase inspection but I would maybe look at a non dealer who is familiar with the 300. They can also provide the probable cost of upkeep over the next couple of years rather than just a pass or fail like they do for the extended warranty. I personnally would not have hidden the accident but and would have taken my lumps on the resale but I think you have less to worry about with a Jag from a Jag dealer. I also bought my 98 XJR sight unseen and it has the Jag Select warranty on it. I picked it up from a dealer whose low end line was the Jag as they also sold Aston and Bentley. I took their word for it there was no prior accidents and I was correct.
    They did get me with some little things-I still have only the one key set, the Jag phone was rewired for a different cell and it will cost $100 US for the replacement cord which I won't pay to restore analog service, a small repairable windshield crack=oddments really that all contributed to the good price I paid-28k USD for a black 98 XJR with under 50k miles and 2 years of Jag warranty. The Canadian prices at Jag dealers were all at least 5k higher. for anything close, and the dealer in Calgary Alberta was asking the same money for a 30k 95.
    And did it cost him his job? Anyone know who the CEO was that preceeded Nasser?
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Member Posts: 111
    I've had my '97 VDP for a year and a half and it's been great!

What a deal, I paid $32K for mine with 28,000mi. It now has 45,000..

If the car is at a dealership, check that it's had the XJ6 recall service performed. They will replace the EGR valve, chip and a couple other things. This is a free service.

My seat memory just failed and as Bill will tell you, the seat and steering wheel motors tend to give out over time. They are both covered by the extended warranty should you pay for it. If I had it all to do again, I think I would forgo the $1800 (or whatever it cost me) and just pay for minor repairs as they come up.

Solid car; rides nice; looks great;, gets about 21MPG hwy/17 City;

She'll do 110 without batting an eyelash (Bill's go MUCH faster!)

If you can afford it, buy it!
  • pluskinpluskin Member Posts: 79
    Donald Peterson was in charge at Ford during the Jaguar purchase in 1990 and retired immediately afterward, replaced by Red Poling (who was followed by Alex Trotman, and then Jac Nassar).