Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• 97vdpguy97vdpguy Member Posts: 111
    I have a 97 VDP that I bought used with 28K miles on it. When I bought the car, the left side of the driver's seat had creases, scratches, and cracks.

I've noticed that the button of my left-rear pocket of most of the pants I wear rubs this section of the seat every time I sit down.

You're probably right that either the dealer (or the previous owner) put Hide Food on the seat and it made the leather look supple when you bought the car. Just keep it conditioned and it shouldn't crack anymore.

However, it is apparently not unusual that a low-miles car can have leather seat issues. Just goes to show that everyone should try and take better care of their interiors.

The rattling noise sounds like a definite problem. If they claim to have "fixed" it before, then they admit there is/was a cause...

Good Luck!
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Hmmm...

Well, Jaguar leather does not take kindly to not being given lots of Hide Food and conditioner. DO that, it lasts forever. Dont? Yer screwed...

I'm attempting to take an '00 Vanden Plas S/C in on trade from a friend of mine. (Who is being totally unrealistic) It too is a FL car and is starting to show surface wear on the seat. It gets serviced every 3k miles, but the guy has never used leather conditioner. OTOH, it does have 65K miles. Prolly 67K by now.

(Charlie, if you are reading this, your car is NOT WORTH $40,000!)

As far as tires and rims... 20K is about the max for a set of P-Zeros on an XJR. And that's driving it gently. They are very soft, ultra-high-performance tires and wear quickly. SOft rubber grabs the road well. Soft rubber wears away real fast.

As far as the engine problems...are they fixed? And where are you located? I may know a better shop...

Sounds to me like you are dealing with prior cosmetic issues...

Bill
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Crosland makes them for Unipart/Jaguar....

Dunno about the different colors tho. My guess is they are the same. Knowing the brits, they ran outta black paint one day... :)

Unipart is to Jaguar in Europe as Mopar is to Chrysler in America.

Bill
  • Since the Unipart, Lucas, and Jaguar filters all cost about the same, I chose the Jaguar part. I like the green "leaper" and Jaguar name on the white filter. Looks good. And, you know, it's better to look good than to feel good, dahling.

I wonder why the huge price diff for the black Crosland?
  • That Quaker State and Pennzoil filters are made by Fram, and are the same exact crappy filters. They just have different color paint on the outside.

Oil Filter Study

Pay special attention to the Fram section, including a letter from a former Fram engineer.
  • athomas3athomas3 Member Posts: 5
    As a daily reader of Town Hall/XJ Sedan, I wish to let you all know that I have found the information and opinions posted on this website to be of immense interest. I plan to purchase my very first Jaguar with-in the coming year. I have archived so many of the entries appearing on this forum in a separate filefolder, entitled"Jaguar". The wealth of information, opinions and feedback have allowed me to come to a confidence as I contemplate ownership of a pre-owned. For my entire life, I am now 55, I have wanted to own a Jaguar sedan but was always advised against ownership. It is the TownHall forum that has illustrated to me that I need not ascribe to the hysterical and historical fear surrounding the cars manufactured from 1996 to the present... that their reputation is a carry-over from the past and truly undeserved. At my age, I feel that I can go forward with my plan... my last driving "Hurrah", and it is all thanks to this forum. Although I greatly appreciate the "opinions", I must admit that it is the information-solutions contributed by our more learned confreres that I hold most valuable; I cannot enumerate the numbers of copy-and-paste into my Micro-soft Word Jaguar file folder. As such, I say "Thank-you" to all our contributors and especially to those who are in a position to share specific, exacting repair solutions, among whom is Bill. Please come to a compromise in this situation. His contribution has greatly shaped and contributed to the great worth of this forum, and his absence would be surely noted. Thank-you all for the wonderful practical wisdom provided by, and shared at TownHall JaguarXJSedan. The experience has made a tremendous difference in my ease-of-mind as I contemplate realizing a life-long dream. It would be such a shame and such a loss if we were to become less than, in fact, it is. Thank-you all. Audra Thomas
  • Say it ain't so Joe Bill.

Maybe she confused the dates on the Jonah flap?
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    She intends bodily harm to Bill?

If anyone is interested, there is an Eaton supercharger on ebay right now. For a small price, you can bolt that sucker on your XJ8 and turn it into the VDP S/C.
    yea baby!

I'm sure it'll bolt right on in minutes.

Speaking of superchargers, there are a bunch of sellers right now trying to peddle boat exhaust fans as 'electric superchargers' for around $50. These are nothing but $15 bilge fans made of plastic, that if actually used in a car's intake, will shatter and destroy the engine from the debris.
    Sadly, the low-end mod fans are bidding like crazy on them.
  • wesdrwesdr Member Posts: 15
    that VDP must have 100K miles and a cat living in it if you won't give 40K. On that topic, how much would it cost to get picnic trays in my XJR, and can I really get 450hp w a new chip & supercharger?
  • shehzadshehzad Member Posts: 52
    Hey Bill--I have a question for you now that my Warranty is about to run out on my XJ--Do you know of any good Jaguar service shops in the McLean, Virginia area (a virginia suburb of Washington D.C.) And what's this about you leaving? I love hearing what you have to say.
  • Just got back from the Concours d'Elegance. Wowzers!

Jaguar was pretty well represented within the Concours. But, there were a ton of 'em on the roads.

BTW, that XJ220 was a pretty nice little number. Up until today, I had only seen pictures.
  • chester31415chester31415 Member Posts: 8
    Hello all,

This is my first posting here. I am shopping for my first Jag. I'm looking at 98 to 00 VDP's. I recently saw this car:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1850887605&rd=1

On ebay but it is at (or slightly above) the high end of what I'm willing to pay for something with no remaining warranty.

Regardless, I expected to see it snatched up at the buy it now of ~$38K. As it was, the bidding never got over $33.6K. This for a 2000 VDP Supercharged.

If the mileage was 10K lower (such that there was a little warranty left), I would have been all over it.

Does anyone know details of this specific car or care to speculate on why nobody was willing to pay more than $33.6K for it? Mileage? Flashy wheels?

• vusicvusic Member Posts: 53
    I bought my wife's VDP from these folks. I've had it over a year now, no disappointments. It seems like fairly high mileage for a 2k car. It may have had some "edgy" use. If it was in Wild Bill's stable at any time, I'd avoid it like a Louisiana mosquito pond (just kidding, Bill).
    I tracked ours through carfax and found out what dealerships were nearby the transactions, called the service managers at those dealerships to see if they knew the car. They're not supposed to comment on cars for the record, but I found most of them helpful when I explained the situation.
    In addition, the salesman at Expo will normally deliver the car to any inspection your willing to pay for in the area.
    The other side of the coin, if it's a Texas car, was the flooding that happened last year. Not to raise undue suspicion, but make sure the car is clean.

DC
    Thanks for the insight on Expo. I asked a couple questions about the car via e-mail and received a quick and thorough reply that included their willingness to let me have the car inspected. I was told that if the inspection came back negative that I would be relieved of my obligation to buy and any deposit would be returned.

I'm surprised (but encouraged) that the service managers are generally helpful with info on a used car. I know what dealer the VDP SC on ebay was purchased from but didn't call because I suspected they would not be willing to talk about the car at all. The good thing about that one is that they should remember it - they probably don't service more than one 00 VDP SC with 50+K mi and XJR wheels.

I'm trying to get that car out of my mind. It is at the far high end of what I want to spend - especially for something with no warranty remaining - but - I love the wheels, I love the extra 80hp and think the charcoal interior is great looking. It has been relisted on ebay. I'll have to call them and explore what they'll take for it if it doesn't bid up much and/or sell this time...

I have also been looking at cars at Texas Mustang Sales. I have heard of nothing but positive experiences with them. I've been watching their inventory pretty much every day and have identified the inexpensive plane fares to DFW on short notice. It seems likely that I'll end up getting a car from these guys.

And - I'm only about 60 miles from local forum celebrity in Orlando. So if he runs into something, I could save a plane fare and a day or two off work (although I kind of like the idea of buying a new car and then taking it for an 1100 mile drive)

Usually as my search for something progresses, I get less picky. In this case, the longer I look the pickier I get. I'm looking for a 98,99 or 00 VDP and have this, informal, parametric price curve that is a function of age, miles and remaining warranty. I have seen many cars at TMS that are on the right side of the curve but not with the right colors.

I'm not big on the really light leather interiors or a white exterior. I originally liked the topaz exterior but there are so many of them out there and it doesn't really "grab" me. I never thought I'd own a red car but the deep reds (carnival?) look great on these cars. I also like any of the greens or blues. Oh yeah - Premium sound (HK for all these years?) is also a must. Like I said - the longer I look, the pickier I get...
    Yeah, when the dough is about to flow, the parameters start to clarify.
    I'll tell ya though, I own 6 cars from fun to fast. One of them is my wife's VDP. After getting to drive it while the family was away with the grandparents, I'm considering letting go of at least 3 of them to pick up a XJR or a VDP SC. It won't happen for a while, but there's nothing as sweet as a Jag.....except a Jag with more power.
    I've heard good things about TMS also. Bill's pretty high on them.
    Ditto on the colors. White never really did it for me. We've got the light interior, but it hasn't been an issue, even with 3 kids in the back. The interior on your SC is very cool.
    Try as you might, you probably won't get the car out of your head. SC's are pretty rare. As far as negotiation, they're pretty firm on the "buy it now". They came down a bit from there but not much, and you have to get on the phone to do it. I also spent a little more than I wanted, but compared to what the dealerships were asking for comparable cars, the price was very fair, even after shipping it to the Northwest.
    I elected not to drive it because of the miles.
    Happy Jag hunting and whatever you end up with, every time you get behind the wheel...it's an event.
  • jarmstrong2jarmstrong2 Member Posts: 38
    I filled up my wife's 98 VDP and the gas gauge did not move to the full position. It took several minutes of driving while it slowly crept to the full slot. Then after getting back into the car it works fine. Is there a gas gauge sensor going out or could it be in the gas tank Anyone help, this include you Bill.

jarmstrong2
    You were right. I didn't succeed at getting the car (00 VDP SC) out of my head!

There was enough wiggle room from the "buy it now" price to make the difference for me.

So - I've got a plane ticket for the end of this week.

If all goes well, I'll be posting a quick take on my drive back home here next week.
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    Of simply bolting a supercharger onto what was a naturally aspirated engine from the factory. Factory supercharged engines usually have beefier internal components that their N/A counterparts. Also, something to consider on newer engine is whether the computer and electronic fuel injection can handle the massive amounts of air the supercharger will pump into the engine. If your fuel pump can't move enough gas to match that extra air, you're going to have one lean kitty. Then there are things like intercoolers to consider. It's not simply bolting a blower to the top of your motor on a Saturday morning. If you want a supercharger done right, either buy an XJR, or rebuild the 4.0 the right way, get the right stuff to go with it, and put that in your car. If you want a supercharger done cheap, don't be surprised when the Jag dealer declares the warranty on your engine void when that extra boost puts your rods through your oil pan.
    When it is necessary to jump-start an XJ-series, 1995 and newer, using the battery (rather than from the engine compartment), how does one properly negotiate opening the trunk which will not release unless the car is "on"... or is it simply a question of keeping the ignition key at the "on" position rather than needing the car to be running... which would not be possible, in the first place, if the car couldn't start because of a dead battery. I suppose that this sounds like a very dumb question, but I'd rather be certain of the procedure in advance of such a situation actually occurring. Thank-you for your consideration of this concern, and thank-you always for our informative forum. Audra Thomas
  • derel2derel2 Member Posts: 49
    I believe that using the key in the trunk lock should work even if the battery is dead. If I am not mistaken, the key mechanism on the trunk is mechanical and not electrical.

Also, the manual recommends that if you are jumping the battery from another car, the car with the "good" battery should not be running which is the common practice as this might damage the Jag's electrical system.

Mike
  • jarmstrong2jarmstrong2 Member Posts: 38
    Has anyone replaced the XJ8 brake pads with anything other than factory pads?

Jarmstrong2
  • rfkflrfkfl Member Posts: 2
    OK, I know I have read messages on first time jag buyers - I am looking at an 96 XJ6, 32,800 miles on it and is in fantastic condition for 19k - what do think?
    Hello all,

I recently bought a 2000 VDP SC and already have a few questions. I bought the car in Texas and drove it back to Florida. Driving a thousand miles in a day or two is a pretty good way to get to know a new (to me) car. It's still a bit of a blur. A week ago I was looking at photos on ebay and now it's in the garage!

Anyway - on to the questions.

1) I only got one key and keyless remote with the car. Does anyone have any especially good suggestions on sources for replacement keys and remotes? I thought I had seen a pointer to a remote vendor here but couldn't find it (there really needs to be a search in this forum software...). If the only source for keys is the dealer, does anyone know how much they cost?

2) Has anyone seen or purchased upgraded nav DVDs? The DVD in the car is dated 1999. It calculated the same route I had planned for the way home but there were a number of times that it didn't seem to know about path choices that I suspect are new exits and interchanges since the data on the DVD was compiled. I looked at the Jag and Navtech websites but couldn't find any info on DVD updates for the Jag system.

3) Is there any concensus on the best thing to use on the dash? My ignorance on this one is embarrasing - I don't know whether it's vinyl or dead cow skin... The leather in the car is in incredibly good condition for 52K - I can't tell that it has seen 5K or even 500 miles. I really expected at least the drivers seat to show some significant wear but it doesn't. That said, the leather doesn't seem at all "moist" so I've ordered a jumbo leatherique combo.

4) Does anyone know of a non-dealer source for OEM style headlamps? I looked on the autozone website and they listed headlamps but I'm skeptical that they are the right part or that they will look right even if they fit (this given that the prices were $6 to $15)

Thanks in advance for any info that anybody is able to provide. I'll make sure to reciprocate should I ever have useful info.

Thanks,

chet
  • lcohen1lcohen1 Member Posts: 6
    Have just purchased 2002 XJR wheels with 255/40 18" Bridgestone SO 3s for my 1998 Vanden Plas.(22000 miles) What a difference in styling. I just love the new look and compliments from all who see it. Cornering is far superior to the P4000s that were on there before. Ride is not quite as good but who cares. The car looks great, and still rides very well. Also replaced air filter with a K&N filter. Can feel the difference.(Faster) Feels like a new car all over again. Any comments?
    Congrats on the VDP SC. Nice buy. How's she drive?
    The extra key and fob won't be cheap (welcome to Jag ownership), mine ran about $350.00 including the programming from a local authorized service dealer. The programming is necessary if you have 2 drivers that have different presets for their seating positions. As far as I know, an authorized service dealer is the only source.
    Can't help you on #2. Don't have a nav system.
    On #3.....I've never touched the dash (although I'd guess it's plastic). We've always put up a sun shade.
    On #4....Wild Bill turned me on to "Coventry West". They've got a great web site, www.coventrywest.com, and helpful sales people. I'm sure they can fix you up with the head lamps. You might even try them for the key fob.
    I'm no encyclopedia when it comes to this stuff, but hope you find it useful.
    Which brings me to my next question........where in the hell is Wild Bill???

DC
  • Headlamp bulbs are pretty cheap, even for a Jaguar. I'm pretty sure the XJ uses H7 or H1 bulbs. So, the VDP SC most likely uses them too.
    You're in luck! Because the H1/H7 are Euro-spec bulbs, you can order Philips Vision Plus or Osram SilverStar from any number of UK websites. (Do not confuse with US Sylvania SilverStar, which is just another "blue" bulb.)
    $43/pair from Powerbulbs.net, with a free pair of 5W "wedge" bulbs (parking light and other uses), and free shipping.

For your dash, I recommend Mothers "Preserves" protectant. For leather, many professionals recommend Lexol. Collectors recommend Connolly Hide Food or Leatherique. Considering the quality and value of Mothers products, I'll bet their leather conditioner and leather cleaner are pretty darn good. (I also know somebody that suggests Dove soap for cleaning, and Vaseline Intensive care for conditioning.)
    DC - Thanks for the info. The car drove like a dream. It was 1050 miles from Houston to home. I got out of houston late one afternoon and drove to Mississippi where I stayed overnight. I finished up the drive the next day. It was the beginning of this holiday weekend so the roads were generally busy and well covered by law enforcement types. That said, a couple times when straight clear spots presented themselves, I couldn't resist seeing how it pulled toward the top end. I won't mention numbers but I was amazed at how strong it was still pulling when well into triple digits. I was even more amazed by how smooth, quiet and generally unexciting it was at speed. At the end of the trip home, I had no regrets whatsoever about my purchase.

Gary - Ditto on the thanks. I just went out and looked and the bulbs are H7's. The mechanic at the jag dealer where I had the car serviced/inspected before buying it (also where it was sold new, serviced and traded in) told me the bulbs were really pricey... He said that the foglamps were $250 installed and that the headlights were painless to install but were similarly expensive. The service advisor and mechanic (oops - technician) at the dealer were very helpful but I they can not help that financial reality is a bit distorted in and around those high end dealerships.

I found a source for keyless entry fobs @ $69 (keylessride.com). They say that dealer programming is still a necessity though. I'll give the local jag dealer a call this week and find how much it is.

I saw blank keys on ebay for $75! It doesn't look like any of them are selling though - I knew the key would be expensive but if $75 is truly a bargain price then I could see blank+cutting+programming being upwards of a couple hundred bucks from the dealer.

One thing that did surprise me about the car is what I assume to be the WOT switch under the accelerator pedal. When I first drove the car, it wasn't as quick as I expected (it didn't seem to want to downshift far enough to get into the good power - even in "sport" mode). Then, I mashed a little harder, felt a little click at the bottom of the pedal and got a big old grin plastered across my face. I would have expected that switch to be some imperceptible little microswitch on a non-visible linkage somewhere. Instead, it's a big push button under the pedal that's not unlike an emergency stop button for a piece of industrial machinery. Just another little bit of "character" I guess.

I probably shouldn't even admit this but I couldn't resist seeing how things went power braking it from a stop with the traction control off. Even with sticky 255's in the back there is a copious amount of wheelspin! Not the most mature or efficient way to accelerate but, nevertheless, fun to do a time or two! I'm sure it isn't a typical jag owner thing to do but I don't think I'm going to be able to resist taking it to the local(ish) drag strip once to see what kind of 1/4 mi time it is good for. Hmm - now I just need to recruit a someone to sit in the back seat an apply some grey poupon to a sandwich sitting on the little table while I'm blasting down the strip ;-)
  • You're one lucky SOB! ;-)
    I'm partial to the XJR wheels too but I'm a bit biased... I think the look with the XJR wheels and grill was what pushed me over the edge to buy a high mileage, out of warranty, VDP SC half way across the country (scroll back 10 or so messages for a url to some photos).

Are 2002 XJR wheels the 7 spoke "asteroids" or the 5 spoke ones (I don't know what they're called)?

You have a well calibrated "seat of the pants" to be able to feel the post K&N power difference. They usually have a high added hp/buck spent ratio but the added hp part is usually relatively small. Did they advertise an estimated horsepower gain for your particular application?

Enjoy all the looks you get with the new wheels!
  • derel2derel2 Member Posts: 49
    I paid $25.50 for a new key from the dealer for my '95 XJ6. I also obtained a remote from Keylessride.com for a similar price but was able to program it myself. I recall the keys for the newer model Jags are more expensive because they contain a programmable chip as part of the security system (may also explain why the remote is not self-programmable)but I believe they should be available for less than the price you were quoted. Check with more than one dealer as prices seem to vary between dealers.

With regard to downshifting, you might try using the left hand side of the J-gate to downshift to third or second depending on your initial speed and ROMs. I find I use this more than using the accelerator pedal to kickdown as it has more of the feel of a manual trans.
  • traisjagtraisjag Member Posts: 7
    Having been a former owner of a Jag (1988 XJ6, loved that car and it was a great runner too!) I'm presently been looking at pre-owned XJR's (once you owned a Jag, you cannot go without one, for long!)It seems all the White ones that I have come across have chrome grills with the metal mesh. Is this normal? or did the dealer/owner do an adjustment. Personally I like prefer the body color, chrome is great on a VDP, but not on a XJR.
  • I didn't know any XJR's came with the standard grill. Are you sure they weren't standard XJ8's or VDP's?
  • squad205squad205 Member Posts: 5
    I finally got my wish and just purchased a 1999 XJ8 w/ 27K. I went to have the factory phone installed but found out the Motorola phone does not have an outgoing text message capability, so I cancelled the install as my headliner was being ripped out. Question: Has anyone used the Nokia handsfree set for the 6100 or 6300 phone in their Jag and incorperated the mute function for the radio? My install guy says this will be the 1st time he's done a Jag and can't tell me if the OEM radio will hook up properly to have the mute work.

Second; I have stock P4000 tires and I plan on driving it year round in Minnesota (lotso snow). Am I insane or should I not worry?

Thanks for the advice in advance.
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    "Hmm - now I just need to recruit a someone to sit in the back seat an apply some grey poupon to a sandwich sitting on the little table while I'm blasting down the strip ;-) "

Pick me! Pick me! I'll do it!

(Anything for a ride in a Jag;-)
  • pluskinpluskin Member Posts: 79
    Its strange that while those little seat back tables seem custon made for grey poupon applications, british people don't even know what the stuff is!
  • That's because it has actual flavor, which is apparently something they find rather distasteful in their food. (Pardon the pun.)
  • lcohen1lcohen1 Member Posts: 6
    I wouldn't say you were insane, but you should worry. I have a 1998 VDP which had 4000 s on. Not to good in PHILA. Your probably better off with a snow tire. I now have Bridgestone 18" SO 3s which I plan on leaving in garage when it snows. Will take front wheel drive when it snows. Any way, good luck.
    Does anyone out there have experience with any of the "Headlight Saver" or "Headlight Protector" products?

A couple that products/sources I found in a quick search are:

http://www.allroadster.com/mall/tm390.htm

http://autotoystore.com/headlight_savers.html

I don't relish the idea of paying $250 for a broken foglight or $??? for a broken headlight.

The service history I got for the car includes two "replace headlamp" lines and one "replace headlight" line so I'm thinking that the probability of one of these getting broken by a rock or ??? is high enough to at least warrant consideration.

The mechanic at the jag dealer that inspected the car I recently bought recommended getting them but said they had a third party who came an installed them with a process that involved heating the plastic overlay or glass light housing or both. The ones linked to above look like they just stick on with an adhesive.

I'm curious whether these things are nearly invisible or noticible and ugly. Also how they deal with age and whether they can be removed and replaced if they lose clarity or yellow over time.

If I don't hear anything overly negative here, I'll be buying enough to do two of the lamps to see how they install and look. I'll post some info here if/when I do.

• mveramvera Member Posts: 22
    My gas gauge did the sam ething. Had to put in a new tank sensor. Had to drive the gas down to barely nothing and replace. If you do it yourself it didn't cost much, I think about $45 or so for the part.

I live in MN, and if you choose to drive your Jag in the winter, you need to have snows on them. I don't know why you would want to drive it in the snow tho, one idiot driving to work in the morning in his 4WD, thinking he can do anything, slides and hits ya. The salt and rocks also hurt the paint job a bit. Don't want to see her messed up ! I choose to make my car last a little longer, I drive a cheaper car in the winter and store my Jag from Thanksgiving to March/April. Insurance on it is only like $200 for the 6 months I store it. I know the Jag mechanic in Mpls. and he laughs at me because his wife has one that she drives around all winter with the kids and their juice boxes and all, he has one also, but just shakes his head when he sees the inside of it. She says to him, "it's just a car honey". If you feel you need to drive it all year thats your thing, but when I get it back in the spring, its like I get excited all over again when I drive her. Good Luck.
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Member Posts: 111
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    Just catching up here...

Jeez Chester, what a special find you've gotten! I think you are the only person I've read about who actually bought a high-end car on ebay.
    That is one fine machine, and the wheels do it for me even more.
    Imagine the poor sob who traded that in. That's some depreciation.
    If you feel like taking a joy ride through NJ, drop me a line.

For Rea98d: The superchargers in the VDP SC are factory-assembled Eatons, not aftermarket. I don't know what's beefed up by Jag to handle these, but I'm sure the engineering was taken care of.

To those shopping for used XJRs:
    My local Jag rep told me that guys who lease new XJRs usually ride them hard and put them away wet, so be very careful with those. I thought this was a bizarre thing to say to a potential customer (test driving a used one), but maybe he had a liquid lunch or something.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    for used XJ8's, most owners list the interiors as baige, cashmere, white, tan, etc...doesn't Jag have leather interiors in dark gray or black leather???...even being scrupulously clean, light colored interiors with me are NEVER as easy to keep clean looking as dark gray or black...are they available???
    "Charcoal" is a dark, dark grey / black leather color that for some recent years. I think it is available with a limited number of exterior colors though and doesn't seem to be very common compared to ivory, oatmeal and other light colors. (I've only seen it with platinum (silver) and titanium or quartz(grey-ish) exteriors but it may be available with others.

I wanted a dark interior but had pretty much resigned myself to getting Oatmeal since it was one of the darker light colors and seems to be very common. Then I saw a platinum/charcoal car that I ended up buying. If you want to see the charcoal interior, there is a link back 20 or so messages to photos of the platinum/charcoal combo.

All this said, I used to have a strong dislike for light leather interiors but they started to grow on me after seeing them against wood in Jags.

I'm sure it changes from year to year, but you can get some idea of how they constrain interior colors as a function of exterior colors by going to the jag website http://www.us.jaguar.com , clicking "build your jaguar" and then selecting exterior colors after which you will be presented with a swatch for each of the interiors available.

• enthusiast1enthusiast1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to the info I've gotten from this board and others, I finally made the leap and purchased a 1999 select edition XJ8 last week. I love the car, but have two questions concerning potential problems with this engine that have been mentioned on the Jag-Lovers board. One concerns the Nikasil cylinder liners used, I believe, up to year 2000. Apparently in some cases the liners break down, basically ruining the engine. The other issue concerns cracks in the exhaust manifolds. Anyone here familiar with these problems, and if so, what symptoms do you look for. Thanks, ron
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    Because of our propensity to buy XK8's (we bought one, an old fart tried to park his car in it at 35 or so, and we bought another) my wife and I have been invited to preview the new XJ. I'm just here gloating, but if I find anything new out I'll post it.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• jagboyxtypejagboyxtype Member Posts: 241
    Here's an article about the new XJ and the S-TYPE. There is a picture of both cars on the page. Sounds nice.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2001330000-2002421221,00.html

Cheers!

Jagboyxtype

• lindsay8lindsay8 Member Posts: 21
    A plastic part inside my gear selector broke preventing the free movement from drive across to the manual selections. Jaguar wants over $500 to fix it and they say it is not warranty because it is failure due to abuse. My question is, is this worth battling Jag on? The service manager has never seen this type of failure before, like someone has tried to pull it out of park when it was not running. My position would be, if the piece was inherently flawed from production, it would still eventually fail and isn't it their responsibility to show it was from abuse rather than mine to show it is not? There is no other signs of abuse anywhere on the car and I can't see original owner, a Realtor with 8 inch biceps, beating on the vehicle. Who has the burden of proof here? I thought it was a slam dunk but the response from the dealer has me concerned.
  • rforerfore Member Posts: 17
    Lindsay,
    Ask them to explain to you how it is abuse. I think the "burden of proof" is on them. Did they service the car previously or did another dealer? Did you buy it from them or directly from the realtor? Have you spoken with the service mgr or just a service tech? My experience is that it is a diplomacy type situation. For example my 97 xj6l developed a problem with the driver's door actuator. Was it wear and tear or equipment failure? I insisted, nicely, that it could only be equip failure absent them showing me otherwise. But I had recently bought a new battery from them. My dealer called Jaguar and they agreed to fix it. It is a delicate negotiation. You get more flies with honey. But be persistent. Do you have the car serviced there? Is it time for an oil change? In other words, give them some business and they may be more receptive. If all else fails, call 1 800 4 jaguar and complain. No dealer wants to be dissed to the home office, so imply that you will "appeal" to Jag North America. Good luck.