Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• lesliejoylesliejoy Member Posts: 62
    I was doing some research on tirerack.com and came across some really great reviews for the Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z's. Anyone have these on their Jag or know anything about them?

I drive on the highways in Atlanta and want a tire that grips the road, but will give me a soft, QUIET ride.

Thanks for all your imput.

Leslie
    Any opinions on Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z's or
    Dunlop Sport SP5000's? Is there a difference in the speed rating if I never go over 90? H vs V, Z? Thanks.
  • looking for a quiet ride? Look into Yokohama AVS dB.
  • enthusiast1enthusiast1 Member Posts: 4
    When I got my select edition, the manager at Rosenthal gave me a copy of the internal repair order for the car used to bring it up to select edition standards. The cost was a whooping $1597, and included the 30K service, $466 for front pads and rotors, a new tire, 4 wheel alignment, and other misc. things.

They missed a few things on the 140 list (cig. lighter element, one headlight, etc) which are being fixed now. So far, I'm very pleased with the Rosenthal service - they appear to be making every effort to get the car up to "like new" standards.
  • dangnabbitdangnabbit Member Posts: 30
    Lesliejoy,

The speed ratings on tires is indicative of the stiffness of the tire's sidewall. The higher the speed rating, the stiffer the sidewall. You can check this out for yourself by going into a tire shop and pressing against the sides of the various tires. You will find that the stiffer tires indeed have a higher speed rating.

Does that mean if you don't plan on driving faster than 90 mph you can get away with a lower speed-rated tire? Absolutely not.

If your planning on changing your tires, always stick to at least the minimum recommended speed rating tire that the car's manufacturer recommends. So, for example, if your car's manufacturer has put V-rated tires on your car, you should stick with at least V-rated. Whether you decide to go to the higher rated Z-tires is up to you(better handling while cornering but a rougher ride).

The reason a car manufacturer will put a certain speed-rated tire on their car is because they would have tested the car on various tires and they would know what stiffness tirewall is necessary to support the car's weight, thus providing effective cornering and braking traction. To illustrate this point, imagine if you downgrade your tires from V-rated to S-rated tires. It would be like having balloons for tires. The softer sidewall would severely hamper cornering ability as the "balloons" would have a tendency to roll over onto their sides while your're turning. You might not notice it as much at city-speeds, but you would definitely notice it at highway speeds when changing lanes. The difference is dramatic enough to possibly lose control even with crosswinds, resulting in an accident.

Bottom line: stick with the higher speed ratings if your car's manufacturer demands it. The price differential on most brands is minimal (maybe 10 bucks per tire with mail order companies).

Best of regards,

Adnan
    Adnan, I really appreciate the explanation!

I have an XJ8L (1998). The minimum recommendation is "V". I have Pirellis now and they need to be replaced. I'm looking for a tire that will last for more than 20,000 miles, handles well, has good traction in the rain, and rides smoothly, as a luxury car should.

I was checking out reviews and it seems as if it's between Dunlop Sport SP5000's and the Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z's.

Do you have any recommendations? Dunlops come in "W" and "Z".

Thanks so much for your input.

Leslie
  • lindsay8lindsay8 Member Posts: 21
    I have seen green, black, carnival red and blue. Any others?
  • derel2derel2 Member Posts: 49
    Go to www.jaguar.com and click on the build-your jaguar icon. It will show you the model in the colors available this year. There may be some new colors or name changes but they have been fairly consistent over the past few years.
    Leslie,

I'm not super familiar with either of the tires you're looking at. But judging from their specs and ratings, they do seem like good tires and I don't reckon you'd go wrong with either of them. Between the Bridgestones and the Dunlops, I'd probably go with the Dunlops because they're moderately cheaper (40 bucks less per tire) and they have a more aggressive looking tread pattern.

My personal favorite is the BF Goodrich Comp T/A VR4 -- excellent wet and dry grip, quiet, reasonably priced, and long-lasting. Unfortunately, the selection of sizes is limited and they might not make it in your size.

With respect to tire longevity, the keys are to make sure your car is aligned, the tires are properly inflated (check 'em once every two weeks), and have them rotated every 7500 miles or so.

Best of luck,

Adnan
    Went price shopping today for the tires.

One tire dealer said he wouldn't recommend the Dunlops because the weight load was only 97 and my current tires are 98. He said the weight load was more important than the speed rating.

So many people here recommended the Dunlops and other tires that have a 97W and they also have XJ's. I don't quite get it. HELP!!
    After much research, it seems the only tire that I can find, besides the Pirellis, that fits the XJ8L with a 98 weight load is the Potenza RE730. Anyone have these on their XJ's and if so, how do you like them? Are they quiet?

If people here have other tires that are 98 weight load on their XJ8's, please let me know.

Thanks.
    Leslie
    Well, after much research, I've decided to go for the Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z's for my 1998 XJ8L (225/60/ZR16).

Is anyone reading this thread? If so, I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks.

Leslie
  • sho3sho3 Member Posts: 28
    Leslie did you check the reviews at Tire rack and your options at Discount Tire online ?
    The reviews at tirerack.com on the Turanza LS-Z's were exceptional and I noted that they were all luxury car owners (Mercedes, Acura, Lexus).

Tirerack.com's price was $133/ea. I got a local price of $139, which I think is a good deal.

These tires seem to have the most up-to-date technology and a smooth, quiet ride, which I'm looking for in a luxury car. They are all season and have great traction wet/dry. They also have a 40,000 tread warranty. Sounds good to me!

Thanks for responding. I thought I was alone here. (LOL)

Leslie
    One more thing.

These tires are fairly new. They just came out this spring.

Leslie
    Hi Leslie,

The load index on a tire is a number that corresponds to the weight that tire can bear. For example, your manufacturer recommends a load index of 98 which corresponds to a maximum carrying capacity of 1653 pounds per tire. A load index of 97 corresponds to a maximum carrying capacity of 1609 pounds per tire.

To a certain extent, your mechanic is right in stating that you should stick with the same load-bearing tire. However, I believe you can safely and confidently go with a 97 index tire for the following reason:

Your car weighs in at 4404 lbs. Four 98 index tires have a combined maximum carrying capacity of 6612 lbs. Four 97 index tires have a combined carrying capacity of 6436 lbs. That is a difference of 186 lbs. In my opinion, that is not signifant (unless you frequently load the car with over 2000 lbs worth of people and stuff, which I doubt anyone would do to a Jag). Would I go with the 97? Sure. Would I go with a 96? Probably not, just in case I do have to load the car with a lot of weight.

If I were you, I would speak with one of the reps at a mail order tire company (e.g. tirerack or discounttire). They know a lot about tires and would put your mind at ease. If you decide to go with the Bridgestone's, I think you got a great price since you won't have to pay extra for shipping/handling and installation, plus you'll have a place to go to in case you should run into problems (hopefully not).

I hope this helped. Best of luck,

Adnan
    Thanks so much for all your useful information! I did decide to go with the Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z's since they got such great reviews on tirerack.com. The final price for each tire was $134.99! I had Firestone match the price I got from Tires Plus. It adds up,though, when you add the lifetime road hazard, rotation and balance. Total for all was $677.91 plus tax.
    These tires have a 40,000 mile warranty and as I only drive approx 5,000 miles/year, they should last me awhile (at least a little longer than the Pirellis!!! LOL)

Thanks again for your input. It was very much appreciated.

Leslie
  • pluckonpluckon Member Posts: 12
    I'm confused as to when the new XJ is coming out. Will it be the 2003 model or the 2004 model, and when will it be in the showrooms? Will there be an XJ8L model or not, and is the driver's foot well going to be any less cramped than in the current model?
    My guess is the new XJ (X350) will not be available in a long wheel base. The length of the new XJ is longer than the current model (but slightly shorter than the extended wheel base). The new design was in part to add additional leg room.

Mike
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    The response I got to this question from our local Jaguar dealer was "they'll all be long wheelbase", so I guess that's the company line. He also said that they will be in the showrooms sometime in April. Oh, and they're not going to offer a Vanden Plas model, so I guess we'll have to live without the picnic tables.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Where will I put my Grey Poupon?
  • iameliotiameliot Member Posts: 14
    If that is true, methinks those of us that keep our VDPs in great shape, especially the picnic tables, will find in years to come that our VDPs are much sought after. I must admit, though, if this is true I think they are making a huge mistake. The VDP is set apart from the crowd of mercedes, Lexus and other "luxury" marques under 100k. Sounds like a decision made by some brainless Ford executive.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    don't you think "brainless Ford executive" is just redundancy on top of redundancy???..:):)
  • litlrivrlitlrivr Member Posts: 11
    I bought Dunlop Wintersport m-2 last winter. They are "H" rated and seem OK for Michigan winter driving. About $100 from discount tire. No winter tire will let you cowboy around in a Jaguar on hard packed snow.
  • wellcraft28wellcraft28 Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a 2001 XJR and was wondering if anyone can tell me their experience, reliability and satisfaction with the car is. Also, are there any goods sights devoted to the "R" cars.

Thanks.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    I think that not having a Vanden Plas version is a terrible mistake. It truly made for a unique vehicle. We can only hope that Jaguar (Ford) brings it out later. Meanwhile, I may have to look for one that's coming off lease to hold me over.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    What is a Vanden Plas over a regular XJ? A few nicer bits & pieces on an otherwise world-class interior, and a little more chrome outside. It's not something that's going to take a major effort and a brand new car to re-launch like the "Thunderbird" or "Camaro" (being optimistic on the second one!) nameplates. Jag is investing large sums of money in simply creating the X350, so they are going to offer fewer choices until the X350 starts bringing in money, then they'll spend the $$$ to add picnic tables (I'm surprised the safety gurus didn't nix this option years ago) and extra chrome. In any mass production environment, the more you vary the units, the more it costs (Hence, all T-Models were black, to keep the price down. Henry was such a penny pincher that he probably went with that color because he could save 2 cents a car over white). The Vanden Plas is a variation off the regular X350, so Jag is going to let the X350 start paying for itself before they spend money on the Vanden Plas. Look for the nameplate to comeback in 2004 or 2005.
  • pluskinpluskin Member Posts: 79
    A stretched version of the X350 is planned. Don't know if it will carry on with the mini-picnic tables and Vanden Plas name, but I would assume so.

"(Hence, all T-Models were black, to keep the price down."
    Actually, I've read that the reason was that at the time, only black paint was available that would bake quickly enough to meet the cycle times that Ford was pumping Model T's out in.
    I had been shopping for replacement tires for my 1998 XJ8L. The OEM Pirelli's were 225/60/ZR16 98W. I decided on Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z's after much research. Everyone told me not to get less than "V" speed rating and a couple of tire dealers told me that the "98" load ration was important. I ended up getting tires with a "97" load ratio (supports 1609 vs 1653 lbs of weight.)

Anyway, the reason I'm telling you all this, is that I was so concerned with replacing the tires with something comparable to the manufacturers recommendations.

Now I see that the newer Jaguar XJ's (in the dealer showrooms and as indicated on Jaguar's website) have Michelin "H" rated tires as standard OEM!!!!! In all my research, I found that "H" rated will give longer tread life, but that the handling won't be as good because the sidewalls aren't as stiff as a higher speed rated tire.

So I ask, what's up with that?????
    I'll concede on the black paint. The point was that having one color meant one less variation on the assembly line, making the operating costs cheaper.
  • squad205squad205 Member Posts: 5
    Awhile back someone was asking if others had a problem with a rattle behind the clock on the XJ8. At the time, I had none. Then it happened. He was also wondering how to fix it because the dealer was not giving the attention it deserved. Anyway, if you read this and want the remedy, I'll post again. I was able to fix it in about 15 min.
    Please, please post the fix! I've been reporting a rattle in the dash since I first got my XJ8L and the dealer always says they can't hear it or fix it!

It drives me crazy! Please post!!!!

Thanx.
    Leslie
  • green5987green5987 Member Posts: 1
    I am Hopefully closing on the deal for a 1999 XJ8 Monday. The car has 47000 miles on it and
    is still under Jaguar warranty until March 2003 - Since I only drive about 5000 miles a year, I will not reach the 50000 until after then.

This is the first jaguar I have ever owned, even though I have always wanted the car. I was concerned because people say they don't take it out in the snow, and I live in Chicago. While we haven't gotten a great deal of snow in the last few years, we usually get 1 or 2 big dumps a year.

The car is going to my regular mechanic tomorrow to be inspected - what other than the obvious problems should he look for? Are there any specific to Jaguar, or to the 1999 XJ8? Any other help/comments would be appreciated.
    These cars are relatively sound with regard to the the engine and power train. Most problems specific to the XJs are related to the accessories. Look for problems with the steering wheel tilt adjustment motor, the memory seats operation, the front suspension bushings which seem to wear relatively quick, the sunroof tracks, a leaking rear view mirror and a sagging headliner when the sunroof is open. Enjoy your new Jag.

Mike
    The rattle is not coming from the clock or the vent system. It is coming from a piece of metal that runs lengthwise across the dash. I was unable to see anything as I did this so bear with me as I try to explain.

Remove the wood trim around the clock. I used an L shaped alan wrench. Put the small end behind the wood trim and pull. There is a metal backing on the wood trim so dont worry about damage. This came off very easy.

Drop the steering wheel to the lowest position and remove the wood trim from the instrument cluster in the same manner.

Remove the four screws holding in the vents and clock. The tab on the left is set behind the instrument cluster. Gently pull the vent system out by gently bending the plastic. The tab on the right is behind the wood trim that covers the air bag. You cannot get to this tab so you end up swinging the vent system out. It stays connected behind the air bag wood trim. I did not want to mess with the air bag wood trim in fear of messing up the air bag, or worse, getting a black eye from it.

Reach into the now open vent. Reach up and you will feel something like a ledge that you can get your fingers into. This is where my rattle was coming from.

Now for the highly technical fix. Take a small to medium rag and stuff it in the area between the ledge and the dash. I used a screwdriver to really force it in there.

I was able to hear my rattle as I pounded on the dash during the disassembly. Once the rag went in there were no more rattles. It’s been a week since I did this and still no rattle.

Hope this helps!

Frank
    I have a 98 XJ8 that I bought a few months back. I too was concerned about quality and driving it in the snow. The quality has been fine, expet for the rattle in the dash that I was able to fix (see my previous post). Many people on this message board told me to get another car for the winter. Well, I simply cannot afford that! What I did was trade in the Perelli (sp) tires for Goodyear Aqua Tread 3 all season's. I Live in Minneapolis so I can appreciate your concerns. I wish I could tell you how the car has done, but to date, we have not had any snow.

Good luck with the car if you buy it. There is quite a feeling that goes along with owning and driving a Jag. Plus you get a lot more exercise when you find youself parking in the furthermost spaces of any parking lot.

Frank
  • kdw2kdw2 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 99 XJ8 and I need new front brakes. The dealer wants about $600 for pads and rotors. Merlin muffler and brakes will put on new pads and machine the rotors for $138. Is it safe to take my car to a discount brake shop or should I bite the bullet and pay the dealer?
  • mveramvera Member Posts: 22
    You can drive the Jags just fine in the winter if you put snow tires on it. But you need snow tires.

The reason I don't drive mine in the winter, is becasue I have another car I can drive and I don't want some idiot sliding in to me on the freeway when they are going to fast and can't stop in time. I like the way she looks with no damage and would be sick to death if someone hit me.

I live in St. Paul/Mpls. and feel it is worth it to put her away for about 5 months. When I get her back in the Spring, it is like having a new car again. I say, if you can afford it, put her away, if not, get your snows on her and drive defensively. Best of luck
  • athomas3athomas3 Member Posts: 5
    I have never understood why it is automatically necessary... or even expedient to automatically replace disc brake rotors with the installation of new brake pads. If the brake pads are being replaced "in enough time", i.e. before scoring the rotor, I fail to see the practical sense in (automatic) replacement of the rotors... just because the pads need to be replaced; IT SHOULD NOT BE NECESSARY !!! Of course, it is not wrong to do so... but why is it seen as an "automatic necessity"; this does not make sense to me. If disc pads are being monitored for wear and (then) replaced when needed... and before damage to the rotor, I fail to see why it is a defacto need to also replace expensive disc rotors. Am I missing an important point here? If I am, could someone please explain??? As always, thank-you for our wonderful and informative forum. Audra
  • Except for the fact that rotor replacement is not usually automatic (most shops simply "resurface" the existing rotors), you make a good point.

You've apparently been bringing your vehicles to the wrong shops. The sight of a Jaguar pulling in does generally make a shop owners eyes turn to dollar signs. There are good ones out there, though. Of course, if you bring it to a Jaguar dealer (the absolute worst place to bring a Jaguar) you should expect them to recommend all kinds unnecessary parts at ridiculously inflated prices.
    I don't automatically replace my rotors unless they are warped or scored bad enough to need machining. I have just replaced pads before, but I've also had to replace pads, rotors ad calipers. Certainly, if the rotors are in good shape, reuse them. For my own piece of mind, if they need machining, and I can afford it, I just scrap 'em and get new rotors. Brakes, compared to other systems in a car, are just too inexpensive, and too dang important, not to do it right the first time.
    local jag dealer told me that Hyde food has been taken off the market. Not sure why. I wonder if it relates somehow to Mad Cow issues since it comes from animal hides. In any event, anyone know of a replacement equivalent?? BTW, this board has been awfully quiet lately...are people chatting on jags somewhere else??
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A journalist from a wire service is looking for comments about heated seats - do you really love them, or really hate them, or really hate having to pay for them in an option package? Please send your thoughts and daytime contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com by Tuesday, November 12 at 2pm Eastern.
    Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• geoffrey4geoffrey4 Member Posts: 1
    The chassis of my '99 XJ8 'vibrates' at a steady 55mph and agian at 75mph (disappearing around 60+). It is like a low shuddering undulating 'vibration' that you almost hear as much as feel and you also feel it through the seats (not the steering wheel which remains shake-free).
    Jaguar insists it is the original Pirelli V tires not the drive train and they forced balanced all the wheels twice and even replaced a tire (so they say), with only marginal improvement. A tire/wheel specialty shop agreed it was the wheels and re-balanced them with a little more improvement, but the annoying vibration persists.
    Any ideas for a remedy? Michelin tires maybe?
  • lindsay8lindsay8 Member Posts: 21
    I only received the fob and one ignition key when I bought my car used. My wife just lost the key.
    From scratch anyone know what I am looking at $$$
  • shehzadshehzad Member Posts: 52
    I have had the exact same problem with my xj8, beginning around 18,000 miles. First, the dealer rotated the tires, then balanced them, then balanced them on some ultra high tech machine then checked the alignment, etc etc etc. Every time I brought the car in for service (and a couple of times on a separate service JUST for the tires) they did something or the other, charged me some money for whatever they did, but wer not able to fix anything. Finally, when I had about 37,000 miles on the car, the damn vibration was annoying me so much, and the dealer, which had only 2000 miles earlier finally "Figured out " the problem---which was that, "you need new tires. The car's fine, but you definitely need new tires." ended up winning the battle---so I purchased new tires. And the vibration went away. For the first 3 days--then, about 3 days and 400 miles after getting the tires replaced--the vibration was back. I took it to the dealer immediately, and told them that I'd taken their advice, purchased new tires, and I STILL had a vibration. They looked at the tires and said that my problem is once again, not the car, but the BRAND NEW 3 day old tires (I purchased the top of the line michellins at costco) b/c I did not buy one of two types of tires that are only recommended for the xj8. What a load of garbage. I just hit 50,000 miles on the car two days ago and have been living with the vibration for the past 32,000 miles. At this point, I'm just living with it. The warranty is over and done with, Rosenthal Jaguar in Virginia is one of the worst jaguar service departments around--I know it, and they know it, and I won't be taking my jag to them ever ever again. In fact, even though the jag's been a reliable car, the vibration that I feel is so inconsistent with the rest of the car that I'm never buying another jag again(I actually have 2 xj8's, and the other, while not driven very often, has a vibration as well). Usually I keep my daily driver cars till about 175-200,000 miles or so, and we'll see if the jag lasts. But regardless, for my next car, I'm going back to bmw's. If not for the quality of the automobile, at the very least for the quality of service available with them.
    sorry to hear about your experience with the wheels and with Rosenthal. Can you believe that they are scheduling appointments with a 5 week lag? You may want to take it to Manhattan in Rockville and get a second opinion. I have heard that one problem that can occur on these cars is that if they sit for a long period (perhaps a previous owner or perhaps they let it sit ont the Jag lot for weeks)the wheels can lose a bit of roundness due to the 4000 pound car weight. I seriously doubt the problem is the new Michelins, which I believe are about the best you can get.
    Are the tires you are using V or R rated? I understand that the Jags have problems with tires with lower ratings. What about pressure? Check your manual. My 1995 manual recommends much higher tire pressure for everything other than the three Jaguar recommended tires for that model year.
    Made a mistake in my previous post. I meant to say V or Z rated tires.