Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I believe the Vanden Plas are all built on the L design.
  • The XJ8L actually had its production stopped a few years before the old generation, short-wheelbase XJ's did and were replaced by the new one. Other short-wheelbase XJ's like the Sport and the long-wheelbase Super V8 - a supercharged Vanden Plas - were introduced when the XJ8L died. All Vanden Plas/Sovereign models were longwheelbase models, so it if the long wheelbase is what you want, it would probably be easier to find a Vanden Plas, especially if you want one from more recent years. A Super V8 would be quite a find, too.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    I would like to consider a 1999 or later... according to Edmunds list of features, in 2001 the XJ series had adjustable pedals as a standard feature...being of short stature, (but of GREAT mental capacity), the adjustable pedals are an attractive option...I also sat in the back of a friend's new XJ8, and the rear is quite cramped... anyone who thinks the rear of an XJ8 is designed for adults must be nuts...the extra inches of an XJ8L (or VDP, now that you have informed me) will make it a sedan for four adults
  • Ok, this is making me crazy. I bought a 2002 XJ Sport on Saturday. Every so often the key fob doesn't work. When I press ANY button, the car just beeps at me, and it doesn't perform the desired function. Later, after using the key in the door and driving, it seems to work fine. Am I doing something wrong somehow? The manual doesn't seem to be of any help. Key fobs used to be idiot free.... now I'm wondering who's the idiot? ;-)
    You're still under warranty, aren't you? You need either a new transmitter, or a new receiver.
  • Ok, this is making me crazy. I bought a 2002 XJ Sport on Saturday. Every so often the key fob doesn't work. When I press ANY button, the car just beeps at me, and it doesn't perform the desired function. Later, after using the key in the door and driving, it seems to work fine. Am I doing something wrong somehow? The manual doesn't seem to be of any help. Key fobs used to be idiot free.... now I'm wondering who's the idiot? ;-)
  • Does anyone have one of the new models? Do you think that it would be "buggy?" I haven't had a Jaguar. The closest dealership is 1 hour away. I looked at the new car, but haven't driven one yet. I also looked at the Audi A8.
  • fennfenn Posts: 197
    I have a new 2004 XJR. I drove the XJ8 version several times, but I succumbed to the XJR powertrain. Except for the supercharger, suspension, wheels, and other performance gear the car the same as the XJ8 with respect to construction quality, systems and features.

The car drives flawlessly. I have a few minor gripes about some trim issues with the trunk liner and the console, but otherwise it is well executed.

I strongly considered the new A8 Audi, whose fit and finish and construction detail was superior, but the XJ8 is more responsive and much more fun to drive...

If you want a beautiful, smooth luxo cruiser, with a huge back seating area, the Audi is a very nice car, but it does not feel as quick and responsive as the new XJ8.....You can also buy a basic XJ8, which is faster than the Audi, for at least $10k less than the Audi.

Of course, I went the other way, and bought the XJR which cost about the same as a loaded Audi A-8....It also feels more like the ultimate sports sedan, rather than a luxo-cruiser.
  • I currently own a 94 XJ6. I've got 2 active boys, a busy husband and work part-time, so I'm always on the go, driving at least 2 hours on a easy day. My car is like my mobile command center. Most of the time I adore it, but it is aging and things are going. It just turned over 100K. A week later the AC compressor quit 1 hour into a 3 hour drive- through SE Florida! We've been considering getting a newer car for me, but my husband thinks the Jag has been too expensive and is pushing for an SUV. (Those end-of-the-year sales are enticing.) He is thinking of spending about 30K. We've had quite a few repairs done, more covered by the extended warranty, a few not. The cost of the parts alone is amazing. I also had a couple of fender-benders that were about 2K each; other vehicles were fine. Is it just my imagination or do these cars seem to have mushy brakes? I would like to get the long wheel base. I would like to have a better knowledge of the car and the changes/modifications made between then & now. There were some changes in 98 and 2000- electrical and ??? I've found most dealerships of any make not to be woman-friendly.
    So- any year in particular to avoid or look for? Any system/component known for problems?
    Has anyone noticed any problems with any specific color? (Ford had a problem w/their silver a while back)
    Thank you for any help!!
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    I'm wondering something...The new '04 Jag is supposed to be far superior in every way to the previous model, which is going to drive used car prices on the previous models down, both by giving it thereputation of a lesser, outdated car, and by a lot of satisfied Jag owners moving up to the latest, greatest thing to roll out of Coventry. My question is how far down the XJ food chain will this be felt? I'm pretty sure the XJ40's are trading on only slightly better image and Jag prestige than the Series III's, and probably won't feel a crunch in value, but what about the '95-'97 XJ's. Will their prices nosedive, or have they already taked their biggest hit when the XJ8 made them "obsolete?"
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    if your logic is correct, does that mean that a 2001 XJ8L will drop from 32-34K down to the high 20s, or are we just whistling Dixie???
    Older models of a car always loose something in resale when the next big thing comes along. Whether it'll be 2-4 thousand, I don't know. I'm here to find out exactly what the market's going to do. Someone more enlightened in the market than I am can make the prediction of how big a hit it's going to be, and how far down the food chain it's going to travel.
  • Am in Tristate area/NY and looking to buy a probably '02 XJR - any thoughts folks? - and i wondered what the XJR100 signifies?
    I think the XJR100 is in honor of Sir William Lyons's 100th birthday.
    First, I've noticed a lot of great used Jags for sale in Fla. Unfortunately, I live on the other coast, so that doesn't help me much!

I know of no "bad years" to beware of. Seems that from 98 on, they get progressively better. The 01 or 02 I think won the JD Power initial quality award at #2, behind Lexus, a nice progression from where they used to be.

I'm not away of Ford having a unique problem with silver, but if they did, I doubt it would reach Coventry.

If you do choose an SUV, stay away from the Mercedes M-class. Common knowledge, they have huge issues, never have resolved them.
  • Anyone have any experience with one of these? I'm looking at one that appears to be in very good shape and with only 75000 miles. Its been driven very little over the last five years and I'm told that all the mechanicals are good except the air conditioning. Rubber is good. The seller is asking $5,200. Thanks for any input. Tom
    A/C is so so, and it will leak.
    '71, if memory serves, is a Series I, which really predates all the reliability problems which plagued Jaguar for so long. Also, all the lemons Jaguar cranked out in '71 have probably long-ago succumbed to attrition. One thing you will have to deal with is finding Series I specific trim, glass, ect, which is becoming hard to find, should you ever need such pieces. I'm not sure what a good Series I should sell for, but from the brief description you give, it sounds like a good-and increasingly rare-car.
    I took my 2004 XJR to the dealer for a minor repair item, and they lent me a 2004 XJ8 demo to use for a couple of hours while they worked on my car.

I was really impressed with how quick the '04 XJ8 felt around town. In normal city-speeds, and stop-and-go driving, it feels almost as perky as my XJR... It really is a fun car, with a sporty feel. Considering that the base XJ8 is far less expensive than a base Mercedes S class, or 7 Series BMW, it really offers great performance and bang for the buck.
    AND, you get a loaner? Wow, one of my colleagues was dropped off by the Mercedes dealer this morning in the shuttle........
    Well, my adaptive cruise control module was out and it was a quickie job...I think that they felt bad because my XJR car only had 700 miles on it.......This was an exception..I think.

However, I am not sure that I will ever get the same quality of service and convenience from Jaguar that Infiniti offered me in the past......We shall see.......
  • hi-
    thanks for your advice, nvbanker! you also mentioned lots of good used jags down here... where did you get this info? i'm in palm bch. county. our jag dealer seems to have higher prices on their used cars than in dade/broward; but dealers usually treat people better who buy their cars there, yes?
    i read back a few pages on here and see the discussion on the aluminum body/engine. is there somewhere(other than asking the salesman at jag) i can find out what years of the xj8 have aluminum parts?
    anyone had any experience/word on that place in texas- texascarsdirect.com? was texas mustangs(odd name, there's a story that goes w/it) were planning on and may have changed the name by now. they sell mostly used jags, but other luxury vehicles as well..
    hubby still pushing for an suv, he's looking at the ads right now. ugh!
    thanks again!!
    Probably half the Jags on E-bay, are offered in florida. Look at ebaymotors.com.

The XJ only went all aluminum in 2004. Good luck!
  • Hi all,

I've owned and maintained several makes of British cars over the years ... even a couple Jags; however, I have not had the pleasure (?) of maintenance of a "post Ford" one. I hear quality and customer satisfaction is way up on the new models but what about the ones about 10 years old? I'm considering a late model V12 XJ-S coupe and was wondering what owners' experiences were with them? Typical maintenance costs? Typical problems ... British electrics (aren't they Bosch now?) I pour money into a 79 Rolls and finally dumped a 97 Range Rover after $6000/12 months so I don't want to get into another vehicle thatcosts me so much to run. $150/month is OK ... $400/month is not.

I would appreciate your advise and experience.

Thanks!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,331
    I'd say you'll have an experience similar to the Rover but not as bad as the Rolls...nothing is quite as bad as a Rolls for maintenance!

A 1995 V-12 would be a very high maintenance car of dubious reliability and plummeting resale value. On a scale of 1 to 10 for reliability, it would be about a 4. Mostly the problem is the V-12. If you could avoid that, you'd be much better off.

Is there some reason you like this car in particular, I mean a V-12 coupe. I think the XJ6 is a lot prettier and a lot easier to deal with.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Shifty, what type of problems could you encounter with a v12 instead of a v6....
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,331
    Let's just say that the V-12 makes an already complex car doubly complicated. It is essentially an impossible car for a do-it-yourselfer to cope with, which means you are at the mercy of high labor rates and shocking parts prices. There are lots of black boxes in a V-12 and most of them cost $600. Jaguar engineering has always been pretty bizarre and not geared toward saving the owner time or money. Things like using the a/c to cool the fuel is very trippy stuff. It's a tough car to work on and you'd better know what you are doing. I never met a man who eventually did not come to grief with a Jaguar V-12, except the man who owns both a V-12 and a Jaguar repair shop.

I've had a few Jaguars (140, 150 coupe, XKE coupe, 3.8 Sedan, XJ6) over the years and loved driving them, and I have a tool box taller than myself, but I wouldn't buy a V-12 except to flip it on a quick sale.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I own a 94 XJS V12 which I bought used and have operated for 43K miles. At 84K miles, my reliability has been really no worse (or better) than my Jeep Cherokee or Astro van, and my Jag dealer's repair shop prices, for basic drivetrain work, are not significantly different than for my American cars. Admittedly, body work can be outrageous, but here I would not use the dealer. The engine is not that bad to work on IF you have proper documentation such as is available from Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust, on CD ROM for 30 bucks. Ok, ok, it helps being an engineer, but IMHO, this engine is not any more complex to work on than any other computer-controlled fi engine. Yes, things are difficult to reach, because of the stuffed engine space, but the technology is not a deep mystery, once revealed by the books. This is my 7th Jaguar, and is the most difficult to maintain, I admit, but not discouragingly so. The Chevy Vortec V6 that I am putting in a restored Willys now, is no less complex.
  • sv7887sv7887 Posts: 351
    Hi All,
      I'd appreciate your help on this one.
    Other than the Supercharger what is the different between the XJ8 and XJR (98-03)? Is the XJR on the longer wheelbase like the VDP's?
    I've been thinking about getting an older Jag and have been pondering this dilemma. I love the look of the traditional Short wheelbase XJ but am tempted by the Thrill of a XJR. One more question, is it possible to change the Grille inserts on the XJR to that of the XJ8? I realize it takes away the aggressive look, but I really prefer the normal grille.

Thanks,
    SV
    The XJR is on the short wheel base, but Jaguar also makes supercharged Vanden Plas with the same engine as the XJR, all the VDP's chrome, and the long wheelbase. Some years they called them the Vanden Plas Supercharged, some years the Super V-8 (or something like that). Now, from what I understand, Jaguar only makes the supercharged VDP once e customer has placed an order with a dealer, so, in terms of X300's, they tend to be rather rare, so expect to have to look a while to find one.