Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• db6db6 Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I,m looking to buy a used XJ8, prob, 99 to 2002.I have one thats for sale locally and private,its a 99 XJ8 with 44,000 miles.I have spent some time driving the car and getting a background on it from the local dealer.
    A few things I noticed on the test drive,brake pedal seems very low and spongey,though pads and rotors were replaced only 11000 miles ago.I was thinking air in system, contaminated fluid or servo unit?(note, dealer wants $1300. to replace front and rear rotors and pads, seems excessive to me.)
    The tilt motor for the steering wheel seems to pause, run pause when used.?
    The drivers door panel has annoying rattles coming from it at certain speeds.
    Was traction control standard or an option,and by the way if it is installed where is the switch?
    The only things major that were done on the car in the past were replacement throttle body(seems common), fuel pump,thermostat, antenna mast.
    Is the transmission on this car a weak spot, and as the car has 44,000 mile on it do you think any tranny problem would have shown up by now.
    Any thing else I should be looking for.
    Thanks
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    The transmission is supplied by GM for this car, and GM is usually pretty good with their Transmissions, so I wouldn't worry about that. Minor stuff is usually the bain of the Jag's existence.
    A GM transmission, in a Ford product, are you sure???
    I know - I think it's crazy too, but GM's transmission was spec'ed for this car long before Ford bought Jaguar, I believe, and it works the way the designers want it to, so there it is. In the new 04, which is totally a Ford owned redesign, it has a new 6 speed auto tranny so that may no longer be the case, but the model you're looking at was in design back about 93, and Ford acquired Jaguar in around 98 I think. Anyway, it's a GM built transmission - and it's a good one. Frankly, on the whole, GM builds more reliable transmissions than Ford, until recently, when GM truck transmission have been giving them some trouble.
  • dennyzdennyz Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at a '99 xj8 with 69k miles for about $15k. What do you think? Too many miles? Edmunds says trade-in value is 14,500; Should I try to pay about that amount? Does anyone know what the current loan is on that vehicle? I couldn't find it on line; will call banks in the a.m. Anyone with experience on this model please provide input.

DennyZ
    Seems like a fair enough price,I,m looking at a 99 with 44,000 miles, owner was asking $23,000, on a private sale,I think i,m going to offer around $15000.
    I tell you one thing that happens with these cars when ppl, try to sell them,they often have tried to trade the cars at dealers and go into shock at the prices offered so decide to try and sell the cars privately,often at price close to what dealers are asking.Then at the end of a week in the local paper are amazed that it hasn,t sold.
    These used cars are selling to a very small market,most of these cars new were leased or puchased thru a business, and then often under a full wtee with a service plan.
    The way I see it , if you get one for around $15,000( and damn, what does that buy you today new, a Hyundai Elantra?),then even if you have to drop a few grand on brakes or other problems its stll a good deal,of course you maybe able to find one with an extended wtee, too, which should take some of the major worries away.Good Luck.
  • dennyzdennyz Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, DB6; my sentiments exactly. Wonder, though, how difficult it will be to unload if I wnat to in the near future. Warranty is not an option.

DZ
    Hi, well regarding the wtte. options, there are a load of companies offering them,expect to pay a premium price tho, for a high mileage luxury car,plus who the hell knows how long they will be around or how good they are till you ned them.
    Anyways, back to an earlier point I made,I,m trying to buy one private, to avoid the sales tax, meet the owner,and get a better deal, well thats the theory,lol,in reality, the 2 cars I have looked at,(both not too bad really)were owned by older ppl, that if you question the car or the price look at you like i,m a registered pedo at a PTA meeting.
    Heres an interesting point,I looked at a car last week, got the VIN so I could call the dealer to get a service history,now the owner told me, not one problem ever,anyway turns out there were quite a few ,so i call him and ask him again,he gets pisy, saying i cant believe they gave you private information,( he actually said"but you are no body,thats private information").well, i found a list probs, on this car, and of course they were fixed under wtee, however,i feel uncomfortable dealing with this person right now so as much as I fell in love with this car(and its easy to do with a Jag, (as My German friend says, you buy British with your heart and German with your brain).
    By the way the guy that posted earlier Re Trannys,well Ford bought Jag in 1990, not 98, the box in the XJ8 was a Ford box,in 98, there were problems,how many later years were affected i,m not sure.Oh, one other point re: the car dying,it seems there was a big problem on the throttle bodies,on both cars i loked at 99, and 2000 the bodies were replaced, on the 99, the trans complete was changed out.
    Some other points from my research and talking to a service manager,broken cup holders,power seat motors bad, power steering tilt motor bad,rattles in door panels,brakes-low pedals,expensive rotor and pad replacements(sometimes as low as 10,000 miles,and the cost, around $1300).
    Test drove a new XJ8 Friday, and not normally given to hyperbole, all I can say is WoW! It way surpassed my expectations as a Driver's car. Love the steering, handling, power, comfort and features. It has moved way up to the head of my list, tied with an LS430 at the moment for next Sedan purchase.
  • pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    I just read that the price of the 2005 XJ Super will be $89,000 whereas the XJ long wheel base model will just increase $2000 from the 2004 model(low $60's). This seems like a high premium for the supercharger and other goodies. I now have an XKR and was waiting for the extended wheelbase XJR. At this premium over the XJR standard wheelbase I think it will be a tough sell and I for one would opt. for the standard wheelbase XJR.At a time when The XJ's don't seem to be selling as well as a new model shoud I think they are making a big mistake by not pricing more aggresively.
  • bwilfongbwilfong Member Posts: 1
    On my 2001 VDP some of the wood panels have hairline cracks in the finish. I'm told that this is fairly normal for any car that is not always garage kept or has been in a cold/hot climate. This was a Canadian car previously. Are these hairline cracks just patina or a problem?
  • exit16exit16 Member Posts: 6
    This is in response to post # 1948. Yes, you can get a Jaguar extended warranty even though you didn't purchase a CPO from that dealer.

I purchased a jaguar from an out of state company and my local dealer will provide an ew. The warranties are priced by groups of 10,000 miles on the odometer. In my case my 2002 VDP has 16,000 miles on the odometer and 20 months/32,000 miles to go on the original warranty. So, I will purchase the ew just before the car turns 20,000. After that the price takes a fair sized jump. Your dealer can give you a table which shows the price schedule for cars within 5 model years broken down by class, and within mileage group by coverage, eg. 7 years, 85,000 miles.
    Hi, I have noticed that problem on quite a few Jags.The dealer in Tucson told me that they actually send them to a company in Ca, to have them refinished while the car is under the 4 year 50,000 mile wttee, after that you are on your own,if you call Royal Jaguar in Tucson,I,m sure someone in service ha the number of the place.
    I guess the door trim panels are no big deal to pop off, not sure how much work would be involved in pulling the dash though.Also, there are a number og companies that do the wafer thin lazer cut panels that sit on top of the exsisting.
    I guess it all depends on how much it bothers you,but I don,t see the problem getting better.
    Another option would be to contact a local wood funiture or piano/wooden instrument restorer,they often have good ways to re finish.
    Good Luck.
    David Bowes
    Drove an 04 XJ 8 Friday. All I can really say is WOW! I've driven just about everything out there, and this car way surpassed my expectations, mostly because the quality and luxury feel is accompanied by incredible handling and performance.
    Didn't really think you could have both these days. But evidently you can. Gotta have one someday soon.
    Hi,
    I wonder if any one owns a sport, i ,m looking at one on ebay,I see they have the R wheels, suspension and seats, and colouy keyed grill ect.How do they compare to the regular XJ?
    Thanks
  • ronaldcrossronaldcross Member Posts: 13
    I have an '02 Sport. It's really just a preference between models, not a lot of difference between this car and the XJ8. It costs a little more, maybe holds that value a little better. The tires are expensive, about $300 each, and they only last about 20,000 miles. Whatever you do, DON'T get BRIDGESTONE tires, they ride terrible on this model. I now have Michelins and the ride is fantastic.
  • lrover1lrover1 Member Posts: 8
    I just wanted to let you know (nvbanker), and anyone else interested, that the transmission in the XJ, XJS, and XK8 and current S-type are made by ZF, a German firm. The ZF transmissions in Jags before 2003 were used by Mercedes as well. Also, Ford bought Jaguar in 1989, not '98. GM transmissions were used in Jags briefly in the 80's. I work for a Jaguar dealer in England at the moment, so if you have any other facts you are unsure of, just ask. And if you have any concerns, I'll try to give some advice.

And by the way, the ZF transmissions have been a huge success. I haven't met a customer that has had trouble with it. The Germans make incredible transmissions.

Also, just because Ford owns Jaguar doesn't mean they are any less British. The new XJ is a result of British engineering. I know, because we are always reminded by engineers and factory reps during our training sessions. They're really proud of this project.
    These cars are mutts now. Many model XJs and XKs have A/C and some electrical components that are also used by Lexus (no more electrical problems thank god!) The Japanese make reliable electrical components.

And if you have any other reliability concerns regarding Jaguar, just look at recent JD Power ratings: Jaguar is the third best in initial quality. Not Bad!
    Thanks for the facts, lrover. Helps clear up a lot of stuff. The 04 XJ is at the top of my list for a new Sedan at this time. Drove one a couple of weeks ago, and I was just amazed at how great a car it is.
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    I like the new XJ8s, and am particularly interested in the long wheel base version. I have a question though. I've looked at the stated dimensions of the new L and is doesn't make sense. The L is 5 inches longer, but the rear seat legroom is only 0.6 inches more. For BMW 7 and Audi A8, the L versions are 5 inches longer and that all goes to rear seat legroom. I want to sit in an L when it comes out and assume that maybe the state dimesions are wrong somewhow, although I got it from Jaguar's web site. Anyone sit in one or have any comments.
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    I had an opportunity to drive a 2004 XJ8 several months ago. I was really impressed by the way the new model drove in comparison to the previous generation. The new car feels far more "athletic".

My wife was hoping that it would be within reason to trade her 2001 XJ for the newer model, after I was reading an article in Reuters magazine about how Jag sales are slow, and there are rumors of "dealer cash" being offered. Ford is also, for the first time, offering the "X-Plan" on Jags, which I also qualify for.

It's ridiculous, however, how the luxury cars are depreciating! According to the TMV figures given on this site, her 2001, with only 9500 miles is worth roughly $26K. We're talking about a car that originally sold for $58K!!
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    FYI, I noticed on Jaguar's web site that the Multimedia Package will be an option for the XJ8 L,where it has not been and will not be for the XJ8. I am considering the L and the package (but didn't want to pay for the Vanden Plas) so I'm excited.

Can anyone comment on the functionality of the multimedia package? thanks
  • jaglover2jaglover2 Member Posts: 9
    Picked up a '01 XJ8 6 weeks ago with 29k miles, within 3 days it died on the road. Returned it to the dealer who replaced the throttle body under wtee. 2 weeks later replaced thermostat because the cooling fan stayed on up to 5 mins after the car was turned off. I have the new car wtee for a few more years. Dealer presented carfax report that did not include all repairs, service manager at dealer told me about servicing done on car that was not captured on the carfax report. It seems that in not including these services the car would not look bad when investigated. This defeats the purpose of carfax. When the car is idling in neutral it sounds as if someone has engaged the clutch in a manual tranny. Has anyone had this experience? Is this normal? My '92 XJ6 did not do this. How well does the front end hold up? alignment and tire balancing? at high speed I get a little simmering. Feedback please
    If this car has a rack & pinion steering box, you're going to get any variation in the tires, or wheels, or balancing transmitted up to the steering wheel very easily. You may have a tire out of balance, or a bent wheel, or a tire separating, any of the above would cause a slight shimmer in the wheel. I would start with a balance, then new tires if the balance doesn't fix it, and finally the wheel. The front end shouldn't give you any trouble, it's a fine assembly.
  • theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 29
    I recently helped my Mom find the car of her dreams. She has loved the Jag XJ for many years. She has driven her Buick Rivera since new in 1989 and has loved it, but has been getting the itch to finally get the Jag she has always admired. Last week I was at my local Lexus dealer having a service on my 98 GS400 when I saw a 2002 XJ8 Vandan Plaz with 6380 miles, in perfect condition. Not a scratch, ding, chip or mark anywhere to be found. Asking price was $43,800, which was fair according to Edmunds.

Long story short, we got the car for $39,500, which we consider a very good deal for a car that is nearly new. She just could not justify spending $30K more for the new one, especially since she likes the previous model more.

I have a couple of questions that I could not find by reading the manual.

First, do the rear seats fold down? Is there any pass-thru to the trunk (boot)?

Second, does the Sport Shift mode really make a difference? On my GS it just holds the gear a little longer, but on my very brief drive it seemed to make the throttle more responsive.

Third, are the any cupholder's for the rear passengers? With such an enormous amount of space, you'd think there would be some way to hold some drinks to lounge around, but I cannot find any. Do the rear tables extend more then the small amount when the fold down? The hardly seem usable.

Lastly, were all cars wired for the factory phone and nav? There are buttons for these on the dash but they do not activate anything. Seems odd to have buttons for features that do not work.

Thank you in advance for the help. As a current Lexus owner and lover, I have to say that I am VERY impressed with the XJ. I always thought that the GS V8 was increadibly smooth and doubted that anyone elses could be as good, but the XJ is right up there. I am very impressed with the smoothness and response. The XJ is an impressive cruiser, one that I would not mind driving myself in a couple of years.
    I believe the wiring is all there for the components named, but you need the factory accessories to plug in to them for them to work.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    The sport shift mode makes a subtle but noticable difference. The transmission holds the lower gears a little longer on the way up, but the biggest difference is that it downshifts much more readily. In normal mode the tranny is pretty lazy about downshifting. I always drive in sport mode, but then I am driving an XK8. You may feel differently in a VP.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• ralemanraleman Member Posts: 1
    my wife and I took delivery of a super V8 this past weekend; the multimedia system is relatively easy to use - just read the handbook (written specifically for the mm package) and you shouldn't have any problems operating the system.
  • siennadadsiennadad Member Posts: 5
    As an owner of 4 jags (1998 XJ8, 1999 XJ8L, 2000 XK8 conv and 2001 VDP), I've enough horror stories to avoid Jaguar at all costs. I now drive the XK8 conv (22K mi) which I bought w/5K miles 3 yrs ago. The car is sweet, but when it breaks (and if you're out of warranty as I am), be prepared to bend over. The hydraulic lines burst 3 wks ago, flooding my interior w/green, slimy hydraulic fluid. I at first thought my top was leaking water, but it just stopped working. Dealer wntd $2K to replace the tubing (runs from trunk to the top of the windshield header). I called Jag corporate to plead for assistance, they told me to pound sand. My wife's '98 XJ8 (which she claims to love, but I can no longer see the humor) broke down the same day as my 2000 convertible. Motor started thrashing like a bull and sounded like can of marbles. Dealer's verdict? Timing chains need to be replaced, also $2K. Jaguar told me to pound sand on this one too. The car has less than 80K miles. On a recent trip to Florida, it kept dying while driving on the highway. It used to happen very infrequently, but on this trip it would die every half hour. Imagine, driving along and the engine cuts out. Took it to dealer, they cleaned the throttle body, no help. Two days ago, Jag finally issued a factory recall. Maybe this time they'll fix it. Bottom line, if you are considering a Jag, be prepared to be reamed when the car's out of warranty. I've had my share of having dealer replace bulbs at $30 a pop and bringing the car several times in course of 2-3 months for service. I have enough rental car receipts to fill a notebook! And the creme de la creme: someone vandalized my convertible and cut the top. Dealer wanted $7,500 to replace. Yup, $7,500. I used to love Jags, but will avoid them like the plague. STAY AWAY FROM THE BRAND!!
  • siennadadsiennadad Member Posts: 5
    It's happened a lot on my 2 jags. Fortunately, I had dealer fix it when the car was still on warranty. If you still have warranty, complain to the dealer, they'll send it out for repair. If you're out of warranty, there is a co in CA that refinishes the wood panels for Jag (factory authorized). I've used them and they charged $140 to refinish the airbag door. The repair was flawless. The co is called Madeira Concepts as far as I recall, but if you need add'l info email me (rencapcorp@aol.com) and I'll look up the details and will respond by email on contact info
    Which European brand doesn't cost a fortune to keep running out of warranty? I haven't found one yet. It's the cost of driving European class luxury. And by the way, price the power steering hose for a Lexus out of warranty.....

I just replaced the rear brake calipers on my Infiniti I-30. It has 90K on the clock. They had to be replaced because they couldn't be separated to put new pads under. They had corroded too badly - and this car has always lived in Las Vegas - no rain, road salt or rust here. Bottom line, $1500 to do the rear brakes. But I didn't call Infiniti, expecting them to do something about it. How long do I expect them to guarantee every part on the car? I agreed to the warranty period when I bought the car. I don't think I have a valid complaint against Nissan.

Look, you are like me, you like to drive nice, upscale cars. It's gonna cost us, if we keep them out of the warranty period. That's the way I see it.
    You don't have comprehensive insurance on the car to cover that? That little repair would cost me exactly $100, and State Farm would pay the rest. If you're too cheap to put insurance on the car, a nice car like that, I don't know how to help you pal...
  • pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    I've han two XK convertibles over the last seven years. I have had a 2001 XKR for the last 3 1/2 years which has been relatively trouble free with the exception of the same leak in the top hyraulic system that you describe. This happened about two months ago and when I took it in the car ahead of me was a 2000 XK8 with the same problem. I found out that there had been about 6 in the last month. I think there is some inherent problem with the system and may be related to a change in the fluid used. My 1998 XK8 top froze up and they changed the fluid and indicated that they changed the fluid type due the original fluid solidifying after a period of time.

I am trying to decide if I should keep the XKR after the lease is up next year and I think it will depend on what type of extended warranty I can get.
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    I appreciate the frustration. I have a 2000 E320 with 94k miles. I have had a few thousand of repairs in the past year that probably would have been covered by warranty. I swore off extended warranties as a general matter a while back since nothing ever seemed to break. I think if nothing else brakes before 100,000 miles the warranty probably wouldn't have saved me much net, but I'm not sure how much they cost.

The Mercedes has had a a number of things wrong, including 2 window regulators at several hundred dollars each. The best was one of the headlights was out. The light had melted into the assembly so $550 to fix.

I like lux cars (am thinking of getting an XJ8L) but realize more now that they do cost to keep going. It's a decision we have to make. Maybe an extended warranty is a good idea so we'll at least know how much it costs. Then of course nothing would break. . .
    Every time I have purchased an extended warranty, I've never needed it.
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    If, somehow or other, the karma of buying the ext. warranty prevented anything negative from happening to your car, maybe it was a good investment after all!!
  • mgmmm1mgmmm1 Member Posts: 2
    Having leased the 2004 VDP last week(Slate-Ivory),(my fourth Jaguar), I wanted to pass along some info. I had the 1993 XJ-6 but only for a year. Have (still) the 1995 VDP with many, many repairs. Never got stranded ,but did I pay the dealer serious cash over the years.(The price of luxury! I guess!).
    Last year we got the S-type(2003) which has great ride manners and refinement in the Jaguar tradition. But the front seats, although bucket, are not comfortable. Otherwise, the car has been pure joy to drive.
    So last week I got the 2004 VDP, they had great deal on it, with owner loyalty and incentives, I leased it for 745/month/24 months, including taxes. I had to come up with 1500 at inception. This at Bergen Jaguar, in Paramus New Jersey. The XJ-8's could be had for even less(slow sales...)
    The car is great, very luxurious, soft supple leather, rides great(although I don't think as good as the 2003, maybe because it's lighter? and the air suspension?as opposed to regular suspenison?) Ergonomics are fine and rear space is great, for a change. BUT the same problem the front seats, although bucket, not comfortable, despite having a 16-way power adjustment. Otherwise the car is refined elegance with great roadside manners and definitely worth the price(for now !anyway!)
    Thought I'd pass that along.
  • audraaudra Member Posts: 2
    I am eager to purchase my first Jaguar sedan, which must be a pre-owned, though cost will not be too much a factor.

My personal taste dictates that I choose either a '96/'97 VandenPlas or a 1998/99 XJ8 ( I do not care for '98/'99 VdP because I do not like the wheels ), though otherwise I find them very lovely with the contrasting piping on seats and the charm of the folding picnic tables.

I also would like to purchase the car that would probably beset me with the fewest problems, over-all. My feeling is that, because the XJ8's are the most "American-ized" of all Jaguars, thus far, they might represent the very best choice for me. I would like you all to share your opinion on this issue.

Additionally, and on another subject, entirely: how "steal-able" are Jaguars? ... meaning, are they especially sought-after by car thieves? I understand that certain cars are prime candidates to be targeted by thieves, and was wondering if Jaguars figure on their "list".

Thank-you always for our wonderful forum; I remain very grateful to continue to have access to your ideas and opinions. Audra
    Generally, the newer they are, the better they got as far as reliability goes. I don't think they are an abnormal target for car thieves, having some pretty good anti-theft systems integrated into them all.
  • mgmmm1mgmmm1 Member Posts: 2
    To audra:

Like nybanker said, the '98 models and later, had the new-acclaimed-engine(XJV-8,designed by Jaguar,money from Ford,it cost 25 million USD to make) and have a totally new, redesigned electrical system. For the Jaguar aficionados, very important, as the electrical system-everything from mirrors, to sunroof, to AC had it's problems. It's mostly what gave Jaguar, the unreliability they were tagged with.The whole electrical system had been a problem with the earlier models.

I agree with you, the wheels on the '98 and later models are nothing to write home about. But you have to balance that with the fact that from '98 on, it's a new car, with a new engine, and a new electrical system. I would rather pay 1,000 USD and put 4 new wheels on(from the '96 or '97 series) and get the reliability of those models. Granted, the '97 model was the last all-British model...so if you have a soft spot for that...by all means ...either way good luck!
  • brooster54brooster54 Member Posts: 25
    I'm new to this group, and hoping for a little guidance from the resident experts. My daily driver is an '04 Lincoln LSV8 Sport, but I've wanted to own a Jag for a long, long time. I have a friend's '86 Vanden Plas (175K kilometers) sitting in my driveway right now, on a long term "test drive", and, although it's OK, I think the V12 needs a few grand thrown at it to run at it's best, and there's a myriad of little things that need attention. He wants 12K CAN for it, complete with spare engine. Too much work and too much money, by my way of thinking.

While out and about this weekend, I came across my "dream Jag" at a local Nissan dealer. It's a '95 XJS 4.0 liter convertible, red, with tan interior and black top. It's got 65K kilometers on the clock, and is absolutely immaculate in every aspect. Never winter driven, everything works in it, and it has obviously not been cut short in the TLC department. It's not had the "dealer cleanup" done on it, but it's pretty well "showroom" other than the road grime accumulated since it was born. The previous owner had it from new as a second car. He traded in the Jag, and a Bonneville SSE (also immaculate), on a fully loaded Titan pickup, of all things.

Anyways, the reason for my post is to run the numbers past a few of the local experts. Please consider that I'm in Canada, and more specifically Eastern Ontario. The dealer wants $30K CAN for the car, and is contemplating storing it until spring, as "it's the wrong time to be trying to sell a convertible". What do you think, and what is the "right" price for this car? What pitfalls should I be aware of with this year and model?

By the way, I took it out for an extended test drive, unaccompanied yet, and I can say that it's just as tight, solid, and rattle free as my LS. I pushed it hard, and it never put a single foot wrong!

Thanks tons!
    If you want it for fun, and don't mind frequent maintenance, it should be great. Keep the LS for daily driving......
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Brooster54, ask your dealer if he collects cars or does he sell them?? No rational business person would store a depreciating asset in the hopes of selling it a half year later for a higher price. He will have heavy indirect costs in tying up his money, storing it, insuring it, cleaning it up again, watching it depreciate X per month, etc. Plus up your way, he could wind up with a cracked block come spring!
  • audraaudra Member Posts: 2
    ... and many thanks to you, and to nvbanker for your responses. I greatly appreciate your efforts in clarifying the issues that been of concern to me. I drive approximately 3000 (yes, only three thousand) miles per year, so I tend to keep my cars a long time. Thus, I would like to own a car that sustains its "zing", not becoming passe the following year. I thought that with the lovely wood veneers, and perhaps the (extra) purchase of mouton overlays, I'd always feel that I was driving a "mink coat" of a car, no matter how long I owned it. I think that most people would describe Jaguars as: iconoclastic, beautiful and eccentric; perfect for me!

Again, my sincere thanks!

Audra
  • gscavallogscavallo Member Posts: 1
    I had the same question as you, and I was wondering if you ever figured it out, or was offered any explanation by Jaguar or the dealer. Have you looked at the L to compare in person, or is maybe the number a typo? Thanks for your time.
  • cgwolfcgwolf Member Posts: 1
    I'm working a decision to buy either a new Vandan Plas or the Super V8. If you load up the Vandan Plas, you are closer to the price of the SV8. So, it comes down to buying the turbo engine or not.

I'm wondering if the turbo is high maintenance and might it add enough to the resale value in 5-8 years to make it worthwhile buying it now.

It appreciate any perspectives.
    Thanks.
    Charlie
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    Gscavallo, no I have never gotten any definitive answer on why the rear seat leg room in the L is only 0.6 inches more than the regular version. I have read everything in the press on the car, and most of the write-ups refer to significantly more rear seat room in the L, with a couple comparing it to a limousine. Therefore I can only assume that there is a lot more leg room back there, and maybe the 0.6 inches has to do somehow with how this is measured. The ultimate test of course will be sitting in one, which I have not done yet. I know the L's are out are on the showrooms, so I'll do it soon. In the meantime, if anyone out there has sat in an L, please let us know if the rear seat legroom is a big improvement over the "short" wheelbase version.
    Other than the XJ, the Jags aren't known for the rear seat leg room, or any other room. But the LJ has aplenty of room for long legged owners.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    As a point of information, it's a supercharger rather than a turbocharger. Actually, I would be interested in peoples' experiences too, since the supercharged engine has been out for several years now. Also, do you lose any of the good manners that the unblown engine has?

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• capppcappp Member Posts: 1
    JUST PAID 30,025 FOR 2001 WITH 11,0000 MILES ON IT AND WITH THE SELECT WARRANTY I FEEL GOOD AND I'VE NEVER HAD A BETTER CAR, I TRADED FROM A LINCOLN LS AND THE XJ IS NEXT TO MY 2000 CORVETTE AND I HAVEN'T STARTED THAT CAR IN AWHILE..I JUST THOUGHT I'D BOUGHT A DIFFERENT CAR BUT NOW I KNOW I BOUGHT A WHOLE DIFFERENT THING!!!!DAILY DRIVER....I'M 55 AND MARRIED FOR 10 YEARS TO A HOT LOOKING WOMEN BUT IT IS A BIGGER CHIC MAGNAT THAN THE CORVETTES I'VE HAD,,,,,, GIRLS I'M SORRY IF YOU'RE READING THIS AND TAKING IT BAD, BUT MY WIFE AGREES AND WE'VE NECKED IN THE BACK SEAT AND it"s the best
  • t3kt3k Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I purchased a MB CLK-430 about 7 months ago and have had nothing but problems. I am about ready to sell the car and found an 2003 XJ Sport with 28K for a decent price. The car is beautifull but I dont want to get into another car thats going to be problems. What is everyone opinion who knows the Jag world on the quality and reliabiltiy of this car? Is there anything I should look for or know prior to making the purchase? Its been hard to find reviews or a decent forum that dicusses the jags.

Thanks in advance for your time
    RK