Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• leeinrenoleeinreno Member Posts: 2
    The security/door openers of my 1991 Jaguar xj6 Vanden Plas are gone, attempts to find replacement have failed, the battery went dead. Now I cannot jump start the car or start when the battery has been recharged. The security has killed my beautiful car. Has anyone a suggestion of how I could get it started? Is there anyway to bypass this paralyzing security? Has anyone found that the jaguar security can be replaced with an after-market product?

Beware '91 Jaguar owners with the Jaguar Security System! There is no one in the US with a replacement clicker. I have searched high and low. Other car clickers with the same FCC code do not work. My Jag is too young to die and she only has 82,000 miles on her. I am open to all suggestions.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Tagman, if Warren Buffet were a car nut, he would be hot for an XJ right now. This is a pure Graham and Dodge value play. There is no downside risk because the market has already discounted the price. Moreover a buyer isn't going to be caught in the classical "value trap" of buying something that the market unreasonably discounts and then have it languish. There are catalysts out there that should unlock the value and drive Jag prices up.

It's a no-brainer, IMO.

Does anyone have confirmation (I saw it on another site tonight) that all XJ '05 and '06 sales have been suspended because of fuel tank leakage issues?

I've done the homework and here is the information regarding this problem:

"Jaguar Cars ordered its dealers worldwide to stop selling some 2006 and 2007 XJ sedans following several massive gasoline leaks from vehicle fuel tanks.

Jaguar notified its U.S. and Canadian dealers of what it calls a "quarantine" on Wednesday, Aug. 30. The quarantine prohibits Jaguar dealers from selling any new or used XJs with vehicle identification numbers G49701 through H13209."

As I understand this, it sounds like this problem is specific to a certain production run and it is NOT on any '05's, according to the article.

Here is the link:

link title

TagMan
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    E-mail me if you wish - address is on my profile. I may be able to help you. nv
  • psyranpsyran Member Posts: 30
    I am considering a puchase of a XJR or XJ Sport. Does the Supercharged XJR require considerable more cost to maintain or problems? (2002/2003 model year). Any recommendations/suggestions re: this issue please.
    Thanks
  • allojohnallojohn Member Posts: 6
    This appeared in the message center last week along with "asc not available". Since then it comes and goes. The shop hooked it up to the diagnostic but it had no code to report. I did some web browsing and found a couple of posters who fixed the problem by replacing the battery. Apparently the ABS unit needs so many amps to function and a weak battery can't do it! I replaced the battery and the next day the message came back. Any ideas?
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    If any auto is not driven frequently, the battery will lose some power. Suggest you buy a 10 amp combination battery charger for less than 80 bucks and use it to charge your batteries every three weeks. Checking their fluid levels with distilled water when necessary helps. In using a charger I recently got nine years of service from the factory batteries. My 36 month Series 27 battery for the boat has been going since 1998 by using the charger on it every 30 days.
  • alexanderv2alexanderv2 Member Posts: 13
    Hello all,

I just received a letter from Jaguar in New Jersey informing me that there is a potential problem with the key fob remote transmitters that came with my 2004 XJ8. The letter further instructs me to make an appointment with an authorized dealer so that they can "upgrade" the key fob remotes.

Has anyone heard about this "recall?" I am curious as to whether these new remotes look different.

If anyone has any information, please respond to this post.

Thanks...AlexanderV2
    This may not be an official recall. What did your dealer say?

It is always possible that your serial number was within a production sequence that has been determined to have received a potentially defective part, in this case the remote.

Let us know what your dealer says.

TagMan
  • allojohnallojohn Member Posts: 6
    I drive the car every day so I doubt inactivity is the issue. The message has not come back since last Thursday (today is Monday) so maybe the new battery was a little underpowered when it was fitted and is now fully charged up. If the problem resurfaces I'll try the charger route. Thanks for your help.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    NVbanker, thanks for the generous offer. Here is my concern. While I'd like an '05 I want it in only black or BRG with a sand interior AND it must be a CPO.

So, how do I approach the local Jag dealer and say: "I want you to go out to the auctions and look for a black or BRG with sand interior that you could buy, CPO and then sell to me for say 43K. If you see one, buy it, CPO it, and I'll buy it from you."

Naturally, he try to sell me a new '05 or '06 and/or he'll doubt that after he does all the auction work that there will ever be a sale. I on the other hand would feel leery about giving him a 5K deposit to go out to the auction to buy a car with unknown mileage or provence.

How can I make this simple for everybody? Email all the Jag dealers within 200 miles on a regular basis?
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Well we have done similar things for people looking for Discos so it is not out of the question.

What I would recomend doing is contacting a couple of dealers in the area and seeing if they have any of those Jags coming off of lease soon.

We get a list of all the Land Rovers that we have leased out through LRCG, a division of Ford Motor Credit, and I bet Jag dealers get another list of all the jags they have leased.
    Blckislandguy - contact your local dealer and let him know what you are after. Offer him a reasonable incentive, and I would think he would be willing to help you. It would be a "win-win" situation.

Additionally, sometimes dealers can access larger inventory regions, and check for one matching your description.

What have you got to lose by gaining the assistance of some of the local dealers?

TagMan
  • quemfalaquemfala Member Posts: 107
    Alas, it is true! You may BUY a 2006 &/or a 2007 XJS, but neither love nor MSRP $'s will let you drive it off the lot! They have definitely suspended delivery of that marque. It is a fuel tank issue, and what I have learned, is now resolved and the fuel tank manufacturer has reported that they now have sufficient numbers of replacement tanks for all vehicles. But, and for me it is a huge BUT -- how long will it take for the retrofit? I applaud Jag for the move before someone is seriously injured. I suppose if one is interested in purchasing an XJ, it harks back to the old days when you needed to "order" a car, then wait weeks for delivery. HOW about that, no longer do you have "instant gratification"!!!!

Stay Safe, and remember -- Life is better at the Beach!
  • jhusterjhuster Member Posts: 1
    I am condsidering the purchase of a 2002 Jaguar XJ Sport. I am comfortable with the way it drives.Just curious if anyone has any insight on any maintainance issues, costs, and reliability? I appreciate your help!
    Of course, I should have typed XJ-8, and NOT XJS. The XJS was a lovely 12-cyl Jag I had many, many years ago.
    The advice on lease turn-ins is good idea. I found an XJ, a CPO, that came back after a 6-mos lease. So, it IS possible!
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    I don't want to offend, and I think the XJ is absolutely stunning, inside and out.

My wife is aching to trade in her RX330 ASAP, as she had a '98 RX300 before and is pretty tired of having essentially the same car for eight and a half years.

And the XJ8 (no special VP or L here) is at the top of her list. Although the E350 4Matic Sport and BMW 530xi seem like more practical choices, because I live in the Chicago area and we sometimes need AWD, everything else the Jag does better. It has better mileage, amazingly it weighs less than both (aluminum, of course), looks better inside and out, has better reliability (!), and goes better to boot. And it's only about $5K more than the others, with the same options. It's a ton more car for the money... and it'll impress the neighbors more, too. http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/- emotorcons/emo_wink.gif

Now, I need some real, true-to-life answers. Does anybody here live in a random climate like mine, and if so, does the XJ go crazy in the snow?

And I read that the reliability is 2nd best in class, just behind the LS430. From owners' experiences with the *CURRENT* XJ, is this true?

Thanks! We're test-driving all three on Saturday.

'05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330 • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
    Always buy the wife what SHE wants because, at the time, it is a lot more economical than a divorce.

Buy the XJ8 for her and on the few snow days, memorize the cab company's 'phone number. ;)
    I would just get a good set of high quality snow tires.
  • edkunkeledkunkel Member Posts: 26
    At the end of the deal, have them throw in an extra set of wheels and snows. You can upsize your summer tires and standard size your snow/wheels and tires. Quite an ideal combination, perhaps better than 4x4, unless you do alot of ice fishing and the like.
    The hazard of snow driving is more the subjecting your motorcar to the inexperienced other motorist. The best studded snow tire won't ward off the other person from crashing into you.
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    Thanks. I was actually at the dealer today for a test drive- and I came away very impressed. Its smooth ride was fantastic over bumps and it didn't dive at all due to the CATS suspension, the handling was predictable and tossable for a large sedan, and the power was ample for both she and I. The interior was gorgeous, as was the exterior, and she was looking through the brochure today, and just said, "I'm getting this. I've never been excited about a car before, but I really am for this Jaguar."

My son agrees- he's a gear head like me, and we also drove the BMW 530xi today, after the Jag. He disliked the BMW and thought the Jaguar would be a much better car for her, and thought the XJ was better in every area (except price, but I can spare $3,000).

I'm sure we'll be getting it, and if we do, it's a Racing Green XJ8 with the Champagne/Mocha interior with Mocha piping on the seats. We'll be buying her new car in January, right in the heart of winter :sick:.
    "I want you to go out to the auctions and look for a black or BRG with sand interior that you could buy, CPO and then sell to me for say 43K. If you see one, buy it, CPO it, and I'll buy it from you."

blkislandguy - Have you been successful yet? It's been a month.

I have a little more input on possibilities: 1) There is a Dealer here in Las Vegas that I buy from frequently who could get you what you want - he scours auctions all the way from California to Pennsylvania to find "special order" cars, and he flys out there to check them out himself. He is very very meticulous. Also, CPO Jags come through the auction all the time. A dealer may get in a recent model, CPO it, but in 4 months it's still there, so he sends it off to the auction. It's still CPO to whomever buys it.

He'll buy the car, and ship it to you for about $500. It's done all the time. He sells as many cars out of state as he does in Vegas. If you want to check him out, here's his website: www.normbaker.com
    I can seriously check the Highline Auction here - they send a ton of them through here every month. I make no money from this, so it's not a come=on. Just offering to help.
    nvbanker - just wanted to let you know that your efforts to help blckislandguy are a testimony to your fine character, and it shows. You have my respect throughout ALL the forums. I sure hope you can get him a nice one.

TagMan
    Thanks tag. :shades: Very kind remarks.
    As I would buy an 04 XJ8 with less than 10,000 miles, I hesitate doing so because I don't know the market price of the car. The one I'm focused on is in TX Lexus dealer. First it was 42,988, then 38,988 so my question is how do I know in advance what the bottom price is - so after I buy it, the dealer won't grin because he overcharged me.

What percentage of the asking price is accepted by the industry for a quick, no trade, cash deal?
    Re: my post #2489; just heard from the dealer that new gas tanks are in and I should be driving my XJ8 by the end of the month.
    NVbanker, thanks for the two posts and web site. I appreciate it.

It looks like a local dealer is closing in on an '05 XJL in BRG (while dark green no longer is a popular color, it is to my eye on Jag sedans) with beige interior, NAV, and 17,000 miles. They haven't gotten it in the dealership yet and don't have pricing. It may be coming from a trade or a dealer-only auction. However, they tell me that they will CPO it. (Can they CPO factory-buy back cars?)

What is this thing worth as a CPO in a soft sales season? (Soft sales season? You can't give away a home now in New England. The Boston Globe will need to buy a train load of paper to start printing an expanded 1987-like real estate auction section on Sundays.) What is my initial offer? Do I make a low offer now and then wait to the middle of December when presumably they really want to move it? With a driveway full of still serviceable cars, this is a discretionary purchase.
    If an interloper can jump in, Edmunds gives a pretty good analysis of "used cars", allowing for condition, mileage and so forth. It's helped me in the past. As for CPO, my understanding is they can add this to any previously titled vehicle. By the way, the value of the added CPO, at least in my area, is about $300.

Good luck.

Life is better at the Beach!
    Re: Value of the CPO. Do you mean the internal cost to the dealer to obtain the certificate from Jag OR the value to the consumer? The former, for example, costs a BMW dealer about $1000. The latter for any complex luxury car has got to be worth $3000-$4000. More if you have any Rover product, a 7 Series BMW, etc.

Incidentally, a lot of people on the High End Luxury Marque board swear that they would never own a HELM vehicle out of warranty. It is paradoxical that the last thing a retiring couple should do is to buy a new MB or BWM "to keep forever", as one would have bought a Packard a generation ago, when they would have much better luck with a Taurus or even an F150.
    The CPO for our Land rovers runs between 1,500 and 2,000 dollars depending on the vehicle. I am sure Jaguar is similar to slightly less depending on the vehicle.
    British_Rover, IMHO any retail customer who passes up a CPO on a Rover or Bimmer is nuts.

Incidentally,the Boston Globe today had a big expose about a pol who had over the years bought 7 Series sedans at wholesale prices from a local body shop owner who goes to car auctions. The gist of the article was that he was getting a great deal from a guy seeking favor. Wrong. He was picking up 3 year old 7 Series for no money because they had no CPO or provence. What he got was a sucker's bet.
    Yup I have had people that wanted to buy Freelanders without the CPO in order to save 1,500 bucks and I told them we would not sell them the car without the warranty.

Every freelander needs a tranny sometime before 75,000 miles and it normaly fails between 40,000 and 65,000. If you luck out and it fails before the 50,000 mile mark could for you but if it doesn't and you don't have the warranty...

Well then that 1,500 dollar warranty looks like a pretty good deal after you had to pay 3,000 grand for a new transmission.

We took an older XJ8 in trade a couple of weeks ago. I passed though as I want either a Vanden Plas or a Super V8. Hopefuly eventualy we will add a jag store next to our rover store. That would make things easier.
    What is this thing worth as a CPO in a soft sales season?

$35,000. That's a little low, but these things are dropping faster than Presidents in Argentina. Don't overpay, even for the CPO. It doesn't add that much value.

For Week Ending Oct 25 Sale Price $35,676
    Aug 2006 Apr 2006 Oct 2005
    $36,937 $39,956 $41,745
    British Rover, did the Disco II with the Buick Skylark engine stroked to 4.6 L and the much advertised "283 improved features" (or whatever the number was) have significantly better quality in their last year? Would you touch one (with a CPO)?
    Oh yes the last two years of the Disco were so much better then the previous years. Even the 2002 models were a lot better. The second demo I ever had was actually a 2002 MY Disco and I never had a problem with it in almost a year.

My ideal diso would be a 2003 disco with the ACE package but that basicly does not exist. It was avaliable to order that option but I have never seen one.
    I mis-spoke; the $300 was a figure discussed as we were negotiating the total price of the vehicle, such as in "$300 less for the car if I didn't take the Certified warranty". No chance, as mentioned in one of the other posts, dangerous territory without coverage. I had a 2001 Cad STS that lived in the shop more than I had it, but for some reason I liked that car. I purchased an extended warranty when I bought the car, and was never sorry. Except for the incovenience of getting it in for repair. When that happened, loaners were always equal or better class cars.
  • austinstiguyaustinstiguy Member Posts: 13
    Looks like I may be close to a purchase. I found a 1998 black XJR with 33K (!!!) miles on it. The owner is asking 18K which seems high despite being a low mileage pristine model. Edmunds shows trade in value of 9K and retail sale of 12K. I am sure they have higher mileage baked into that # so I realize this one would cost more and rightfully so. Seems to me 14500 is the right #. It is still almost a 9 year old car! someone show me the light!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Lower-than-expected mileage on an older car is not always a good thing. When the car is not driven as much as one would expect, you easily could have dry-rot issues, muffler issues, and so forth. You need to have it thoroughly inspected by a knowledgeable mechanic before moving on it, IMHO.
    The Halloween color and low mileage offset each other. If you feel a price of 12K to 14500 is right, remember and understand $18000 is the most he can charge for it.

There is a price theory that if you ask a heck of a lot more than what is fair, you will receive an offer that is lower than your high price, but a lot higher than what you had hoped for.

When buying, only pay what you are willing to pay. The seller wants your money more than you want his car. ;)

Seller doesn't have to like your offer, but you will have his respect for not being a willing sucker.
  • austinstiguyaustinstiguy Member Posts: 13
    thanks for the replies guys. I got to thinking afterwards and I realized I would rather have an 01 XJR @ 50K miles instead at the same price point. I just have a bad feeling about buying any car from a previous decade when it can be had from the current one even if the difference is only 3 years. thanks again. i will post up when the XJR is in house!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    and come back bringing pics! ;)
    I picked up my CPO 2006 Black XJS and fell in love with it again! (It had been 6 weeks since I'd put down the deposit.) It's a fantastic ride! All I'd hoped for. But, not many miles, so far. I'll keep you up to date as the miles roll up.

My only dissapointment, and I should have known better, was to believe the salesman when he told me that the nav DVD was the latest version extant for that model. But, it wasn't. The nav in my wife's Lincoln Aviator has better graphics, definition and contains much more info.

Caveat Emptor!!!

Luck -- and Life is better at the Beach!!!
    My only dissapointment, and I should have known better, was to believe the salesman when he told me that the nav DVD was the latest version extant for that model. But, it wasn't. The nav in my wife's Lincoln Aviator has better graphics, definition and contains much more info.

Your salesman may not have been lying to you. The system in the Jaguar is not the same as the one in your Lincoln. Ford and Toyota use a Denso product - Jag's is from another vendor, I don't remember whose, but graphics and functions are not DVD controlled, they are firmware installed permanently in the system. The "latest DVD" for your system should only enhance the map, not the colors, graphics or functions.

Don't you love the English vernacular used in the Jag's system though? "KINDLY REFRAIN FROM USING THIS SYSTEM WHILST THE AUTO IS IN MOTION". Much more amusing Lawyer warning, IMO. Oh, excuse me, BARRISTER warning..... :shades:
    Of the English vernacular - Directions in changing the tire in a Vauxhall says to "turn your nuts hard on."

The manual also mentioned the bonnet, but we never located the hat. :):)
    I've sent off a letter to Jag; I'll be interested in what they have to say -- if aything, about the differences between the systems!

Even if it's only an update on the geography, I'd welcome any upgrade.
  • kiskadeekiskadee Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed that a number of low mile 2005 SuperV8s are on the market for the same price as many XJRs. This is appealing, but I question how much lower a dealer could theoretically go. In Texas these values are ~$55K but a number of the cars have been on the dealer lots for nearly THREE months. Could I go in and expect to get a Super for $47, $49K.....?

On another front, I am curious what yearly service & repairs run on such a Jag. In the first two years of owning a MB, I was shocked I had to get new brakes and usually rotors every two years to the tune of >$800. Although I am now used to these #s, I would hate to buy a car with more suction on my wallet. Lexus is appealing, but I want to replace my MB w/ a car that has a soul!
  • bengineerbengineer Member Posts: 1
    I own a 93' XJ6 and I am having some issues with start up. This problem has grown more in the winter months than the summer. The problem is when I turn the key the engine will turn over but will not fire. If it does fire it rev to 1,000 rpms then die. The next time I start it will fire a few times then quickly die then proceed to not fire. In the summer months, it would do this a couple of times then eventually fire up and stay running.

Once the car is running it runs great, it is just a matter of getting it starting the first time. Has anyone had a similar problem? Or, does anyone know how to fix it?
    I don't know this car well - I assume it's fuel injected? The problem sounds like it's starting way too lean, which is most likely your closed loop presets in your fuel computer....