Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• OH and what does this Documentary ahve to do with Jaguar? Or is it just anti German (and perhaps anti merdcedes?)_

mike
  • Hi all, I'm looking at a Liquid Silver/Ivory 2007 XJ8 VDP lease. What have others been paying over invoice??? I've gotten a dealer to agree to 2.18% over, but would like to pay 1%, sound reasonable? Jaguar incentives are quite good now at $6200 cash back and 4.9% money factor. Thoughts on trying to get 1% over invoice, 2.18% puts me about $100 less than the national average via edmonds info. Thanks much!
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    At Christmas time in '05, the '06 models were already out and there were a couple of '05s that the dealer needed to get out of inventory. This was a California dealer.

I purchased the exact same car that you describe for my wife... a metallic silver/ivory Vanden Plas, loaded with DVD rear-seat entertainment, CD-changer, and all the goodies, including Jaguar-Voice, Bluetooth, chrome 5-spoke rims with performance tires, XJR wire mesh grill, (now standard on your model year), and more. I got the car for thousands UNDER invoice, and some of the extras for free, and I also received an extra thousand-dollar incentive directly from Jaguar for visiting their display at the International Auto Show, and purchasing within 90 days of the visit.

The car has been absolutely perfect with zero issues thus far.

I don't know your location, but here in California, there are numerous competing dealers, and that certainly is good for a buyer.

Your $6200 cash-back sounds good, so long as it goes to YOU and not signed back to the dealer. You might inquire what the lease terms are on the '08 just to make sure it doesn't make more sense overall. Also, it sounds like you are very close in your difference with the dealer anyway, as the difference between 1% and 2.18% is about one thousand dollars. Perhaps there is an option or accessory that you want to acquire that they could throw in the deal, or perhaps they can give you a break on an extended service agreement. I was fortunate that the '05 was the last year they included the 4 years of total maintenance as well as the warranty, although they also provided me an extended 7-year service contract as part of the deal.

Again, depending on the competition in your area, you might be able to squeeze a little harder... but it sounds like you might be close to making a reasonable deal.

Good luck.

TagMan
  • I found a '01 VDP with 56k miles, but I have a few questions since I never had Jag but always wanted one (I own 2 MB: '99 C280, '05 ML350).
    Are there any specific things/issues to look for at the '01 VDP? I was thinking it might be good idea to get an independent 3rd person to inspect the car since I am not a mechanic. Any ideas how to find a guy and what it would cost? The car comes with 2 month warranty by the used car dealer but I think it would be a good idea to get an extended warranty. Any recommendations out there? I looked at Easy Care (owned by Ford) at it sounds pretty good. Can you actually get a warranty through Jaguar itself? Since I own 2 MB's I am used to "high maintenance cars". How is the maintenance on the '01 VDP? How often do you change the oil etc.?
    Any input is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks, Matt. – matthes_us@yahoo.com
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,344
    Nov. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Ford Motor Co.'s U.K. union today endorsed India-based Tata Group's bid to buy the Jaguar and Land Rover units.

Look for the Leaper to be replaced by a round Red dot above its grill! ;)
  • Hi. I have a 2008 XJ VDP. My parking sensors on the front bumper are extremely sensitive. I pick up traffic as it moves in front of and along the front edge of the bumper as cars turn in front of me while stopped. Does anyone know if they can be adjusted to be less sensitive. Thanks Neil
  • I purchased a 1999 Vadam Plas brand new. I had all maintenance done at all regular intervals. In spite of doing all that I could do I have placed 3 throtle bodies on the car and just had my ABS module go out along with the throtle body again. This time the throtle body was three months out of warenty. Jaguar corporate no help, jaguar local no help. I am done with Jags. The British were no good, Ford not much better and India will probably be worse. Anybody with similar throtle body problems, ABS module problems or acceleration problems. Any class action law suites against Jaguar for any of the above problems?

NOMASJAG
  • rvevearvevea Posts: 11
    I've had three Jags since 1980 (currently own an '01 XJ8 & an '05 XJR) and spent my working years in the car business. Having started from the ground up, doing every part of the business in between, managing in new car stores and then owning my own, I feel very confident that it is not your car that has been the root of most of your problems. I would bet just about anything that it is the dealer and/or his service manager/writer or techs that have been doing a number on you. It's probably too late to tell now or to prove anything but I've seen this happen to others. NOT very often with Jaguar though.
    The XJ series have been very trouble free cars for the last 10 or 12 years. The X-type and S-Type are not so trouble free. They are more Ford than Jag, but the XJ has been and remains a vehicle built only in England and to higher standards.
    If you have used more than one Jag dealer to do these repairs it could also be that one of them "sabotaged" your vehicle, setting it up for problems. This can be relatively easily done on any car via the ECU or other ways. Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens way to often and is actually a result of cars being built better and better and, in truth, not needing as much maintenance or repair. Consequently some of the "low lifes" generate their own work and a big paycheck. A rash of similar and related problems like you mention is more common in more vehicles than one would imagine. And they virtually always (when there is a THREE time failure of a specific item or a related component especially) are the result of the human factor rather than the machine. I've driven nearly every foreign and domestic vehicle except for the really exotics or stuff we can't get stateside. I'm 62 and will own and drive at least one Jag as long as I live. But I WILL stick with the genuine article, the XJ series. I just tell it like it is. There are both good and bad wrenches and dealers. You can get a real lot of fine automobile if you buy a one or two year old model, because, unfortunately for some- fortunate for others, they depreciate a lot. Their poor reliability record from many years ago still haunts them. Good luck to you... but don't give up on Jag.
    Robin (they call me "The Car Father") 8>)
    PS... if someone has done a number on your '99 you could continue to have problems so after 8 years it may be time to bite the bullet. Buy an '05 or '06 XJ8 with low miles, certified and with a clean carfax. The V.P is nice too but the extra $ is hard for me to justify. (Even though the XJR brings as much- but it has GOBS of guts!) And find another dealer. Remember, you don't have to see them more than roughly once a year during the 4 year warranty so if you have to drive a ways, so what.
  • Robin(Te Car Father)
    Thanks for your reply. I agree the new Vadam Plas are too much $ for what you get. I DID like Jaguar but not all the problems. You might be right about my dealer but there is only one dealer within 100 miles. The reliability problem is confirmed by consumer reports, thus the depreciation. Any suggestions on how to make my local dealers life miserable. After all I invested a lot of $ and received a negative return? Still afraid of Jag especially the cost to repair the new aluminum bodies and the bad experience with the dealer. By the way this dealer was the only one that worked on my car.
    Maybe time to bite the bulet and go to a reliable car. I hate to say it Infiniti M35 highest rated. Hate to do the Japanese thing but tired of spending time with my car in the shop. Besides there service is a 100 times better than Jag, they actually care about retaining customers. I don't think the Indians(tata motors) will be any better. Besides with the high value of the English pound the car and its parts will be more expensive!

Thanks,
    NOMASJAG
  • I am currently looking at two XJ8 (the VDP's I looked at recently were both crappy). One is a 2001 with 40k miles, one owner, a former Jaguar lease bought by a used car dealer specialized on Jags from Jaguar credit. It has a clean carfax and was always Jaguar serviced. The 2003 has 50k miles, is also a one owner car but there are no service records (neither in the carfax). It was traded in at a new car dealership and those guys don't have a clue about Jags. They are very similar in price (the '03 is listed $1k higher) and both seem to be good deals money wise. Which car would you guys go for?
    Any comments or advices are appreciated!
    Thanks, Matt.
  • hofiiihofiii Posts: 16
    I would seriously consider the 03 because it is only 1K more and you would not have any chance of purchasing an auto with a potential Nikasil problem. It was a known problem for late 97 - 01 4.0L V8 Jaguars and BMWs as well. The nikasil liner was abolished by the '02 -'03 models. You can read about it on the internet if you'd like. Also, I'd like to suggest the jag-lovers.com website. A wealth of info can be found there. BTW, for your information, the '98 - '03 models are technically referred to as X308 and included in the X300 forum on jag-lovers.com.
  • Thanks for your response hofiii!
    It seems like there are some conflicting reports regadring when Jaguar stopped using the Nikasil engines. What I found in my research was, that if the last 6 places of the VIN start with the letter 'F', then the vehicle does not use Nikasil and is fitted with steel liners. According to this the '01 i was looking at does NOT have the Nikasil. Do you have other info on this hofiii?
    I am just checking out the jag-lovers.com forum; a lot of info there.
    Thanks, Matt.
    I believe you could be correct. Post this question and any other concerns on jag-lovers.com and you will get a definite answer. They know what they are talking about and are VERY helpful, I've found. Good luck!
  • Thanks hofiii for your tip. I just posted it at jag-lovers.com.
    Matt
    You are welcome. I've found the website to be invaluable. They know their Jags!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Please come back here and let us know what you find out - that would be helpful to many others in your situation.
  • Sure, I'll let you guys know.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    I see in this Jaguar section that there is not a thread on prices paid, etc.

A friend of mine is considering a 2008 XJ Vanden Plas... list is $76,000.... what would a realistic offer to give the dealer?

Thanks,
    Mark156
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,423
    Dealer cost is around $69000. There are no rebates, but there are financing incentives.

However, sales have been awful ever since this new generation (2004-) was introduced. So price should be very negotiable. It is too bad, because it is a wonderful car with great amenities, good gas mileage for the amount of power, comfort, reliability, handling, efficiency, etc. The VDP is especially nice with better leather, a leather covered and stitched dash, better wood, better sound system. Beautiful car, but dealer cost is about all they can reasonably expect.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Looked at the Jaguar and there is one main problem that a lot of car manufacturers have.... the darn sun-visors don't adjust once you move them to the side. I consider that a major flaw!!! Volvo's don't move, even my Land Rover LR3 don't move but thank goodness they are large. I bought stocking caps to slip over the end of the sun-visor to add additional length.

A car that lists for over $76,000 should have adjustable sunvisors!!!!!

So, it's out of the game.
    PS. my friend looking at the car cannot be in the sun (skin cancer) so it's a MAJOR issue.

Mark
  • I no I asked this previously but has anyone owning a1999, 2000, 2001 XJ or Vadam plas had problems with their throttle body failing?

nomasjag
  • When I purchased my '01 XJ8 in July 2004 the car died with my wife while I was on a business trip. With the "Limp Home" feature she was able to drive it home. Being that it was a certified pre-owned, we called the dealer and they sent a tow truck to pick it up and also drop off a loaner. The diagnosis was a bad throttle body. Since the car was still under warranty, the dealer replaced the throttle body and returned the car before I returned from my trip. The cost then was over $1,200 so I would expect more in 2008 dollars. So far I have not had anymore throttle body problems. By reading this website I have learned that throttle body failure is quite regular and Jaguar is aware of the problem so I imagine they have fixed it.
  • Just purchased an '02 VDP. Dealer put new Pirelli P4000 M/S tires on it. Since this is my first Jag and it has rear wheel drive, I was wondering what to expect driving in snow. Should I stay off the road,purchased true snow tires for the rear(studded perhaps) or am I OK to go since it has traction control,stability control,and ABS. Also,Do you think I paid a fair price? Car is a Select Edition preowned.42,000 miles
    Don't know what you paid, but resale on these cars is not good, so whatever you paid, you got a lot of car for the money.

I almost lost an 04 VDP accelerating on a slippery on ramp. The stability control and traction control cannot always react quickly enough, especially with the power these cars have. Yours has the winter advantage of more "road hugging weight" than newer models (though obviously it is not an advantage in terms of dry handling and mpg). Get FOUR good winter tires and use them They make a world of difference, and they don't have to be studded. In really bad conditions, throw some tube sand bags in the trunk. You'll be able to go anywhere.
  • Thanks Gregg. Paid $23,000 for the Jag. Looks, runs like new. Am researching Michelin X-Ice tires
    That was probably a bit high for an 02 in general, but in this case you got a dealer backed car in excellent condition, with bumper to bumper warranty to 100,000. Enjoy the ride.
  • byangbyang Posts: 1
    Don't drive the cat in the snow with those tyres - they will not work even in the slightest of snow - get a set of winter tyres - pirelli snow sport 210 or something like that - i had a 01 vdp and you can take that cat up the ski hills. happy motoring
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,344
    Courious to know how you transported your skis with the Jag. We're shopping for a used XJ8L.

Ski rack suction cups have scratched the clear coat on our Town Car, so I've been loading them inside from dash to rear shelf. Just returned from Whistler after a week up there. :)
  • I went through a touchless car wash a couple of days ago. My wipers were working fine until the blower happened to touch the blade as I was exiting. It just barely touched it. I can hear the blade try to start and see it jump but it will not work. Any suggestions? Thanks. Also on my mileage gauges I can hardly see how many miles left for my gasoline. All the other instruments are very bright. I have the brightness level turned up as high as it will go.Thanks again.