Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra GT vs. Mazda Protege5

leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
How do think these two hatchbacks compete against each other? Pro/cons on them? Which do think would be more reliable? Give me your views and opinions on them.

Thanks......Leo

Comments

• hbrow00hbrow00 Member Posts: 31
    This topic needs broadening to the relevant 5-doors in 2002 --

Hyundai Elantra GT
    Kia Spectra (new design, engine for 2002)
    Kia Rio 5-door

The above might be very worthwhile to compare for price/performance issues.

Others -- the Mazda Protege, Subaru Impreza, Ford Focus 5-doors/wagons -- offer a very different comparison. Wouldn't the Mazda be (a) more expensive, and (b) more refined than the Korean cars? (Hey, that could be wrong...)

In fact, I would like to see how the Elantra GT compares to the new Spectra with the new 2.0-liter from the Elantra. Which will have better price/performance? Now that could be an useful comparison.

H.
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    Hi H!

Those comparisons would be nice. However when, I tried discussing such things I was informed that the Focus 5 door wasn't available in the U.S. nor would it be made available. Perhaps this has change? Regarding the Impreza, I was inform that it was considered a station wagon and not to be discussed on the hatchback forum.

The Mazda will be more expensive than the Hundai, but more refined? Possibly. But I'm comapring the various features. The Hyundai GT seem equally equiped as the Protege HB: all wheel disc brakes, ABS, side air bags, pw/pl, sports tuned suspension. Some might be options on one model and standard equipment on the other. But the seem to very comparable feature for feature.

Heck, I'd even like to through the Toyota Matrix in the mix, but that is a 2003 model. HB owners will have some choices in the next few years. A nice change of pace.

Leo
    Source: http://www.rideanddrive.com/update/2001/industry177.html

Excerpt:

Focus ZX5 five-door Arrives in North America

Toronto, Canada, Feb. 14 — Ford's Focus is poised for greater popularity when the new 2002 five-door ZX5 model arrives this fall at Ford showrooms across Canada and the United States. The ZX5 made its North American debut at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto.

In both the U.S. and Canada, the new ZX5 is expected to have broad appeal . . .

[snip]

The Focus ZX5 will be manufactured in Hermosillo, Mexico, and pricing will be announced closer to introduction.

H.

thanks for the update. Will it have the same 2.0L 130 hp motor as the 3 door model?

Leo
    thanks for the update. Will it have the same 2.0L 130 hp motor as the 3 door model?

Leo

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=3304

With the same styling cues and performance-oriented features of the ZX3 three-door hatchback, including the peppy 130-hp, 2.0-liter Zetec four-cylinder engine, ...

It appears so!

• mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Don't overlook the Golf. Even in basic form it is loaded and now includes head air bags in addition to ABS.
    as I wanted to stay around or below 18,000 MSRP for a hatchback. The Golf I think starts at the amount and goes up. Plus, I heard that VW are not that reliable and are expensive to fix.

Leo
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The Golf GLS starts at $16,300, which includes remote power locks, power windows, cruise control, AC, 8 speaker cassette, 4 wheel disc brakes with anti-lock control, and 6 airbags. Not a bad deal, especially considering its best-in-class safety. VWs are no more expensive to fix than are Mazdas, Hondas, Toyotas, or any other import. I have had extremely good luck with my 84 Rabbit GTI. It has over 200,000 miles and runs perfect! It always starts up first time and never stalls. It has been very reliable.
    All new Golfs built after some date in November have 8 airbags not 6. There are 4 head curtains, 2 in the front pillars and two in the side pillars. These are separate from the 2 side air bags.
  • bill_1bill_1 Member Posts: 97
    While the Golf is certainly the most expensive of the 5 door hatchbacks listed here (though we could list the Saab 9-3 if we wanted : )), I think it also deserves some credit as being the holdout.. lets face it, 5 years ago if you wanted a 5 door in this country the VW and the Saab were it.

In any case, the Golf is a blast to drive and while reliability may not be the absolute top of the list, it is not really horrible either. I have a 98 Jetta and other than a leaky sunroof when I first got it (covered under warrenty) I have not had to take my car in for any unscheduled maintainance (Been religious about the scheduled maintainance though).
  • handydoghandydog Member Posts: 19
    Test drove both sedan versions today, and assuming the hatches are comparable, Mazda beats Hyundai. The Protege ES looks nice on the outside, has a great interior, and great handling and ride. The Elantra has more power, but is otherwise lacking. The Elantra engine is very loud when accelerating (and not in a good way), and the pattern they picked for the seats is horrible. The material is actually much nicer than it looks. Still might give the Elantra GT a try when it comes out since it should be somewhat different from the sedan, but I think Mazda has got the nicer car (even if it costs more).
    The Engine in the Elantra GT will be the same as in the GLS so if you found the engine too loud (and that was the deal breaker) then I doubt you will find much difference in the GT. In most other respects though the GT is going to be much more upmarket (despite only a modest sticker increase). It will have a revised suspension, power everything and leather seating surfaces. So I think it would definitely be worth your while to check out the GT particularly since even fully loaded it will probably be several thousand shy of the Protege 5 door.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Check out Edmunds.com's new side by side Vehicle Comparison. Happy Motoring!

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

A nicely loaded Elantra Gt should be around 15/16 while a nicely loaded Mazda Protege 5 should come in around 18/19. BUT Hyundai should be able to knock the price down to invoice to sell butno special financing, while Mazda has the possibility of offering their special financing deals on this Protege (usually in lieu of a small cash back), don't know whether you can get Mazda to go down to invoice price.
    Regardless of which car you prefer, the consumer is the winner with many more HB to select from than in the recent past! Otherwise we have no debate of whose HB is better :)

Leo
    I wouldn't get either one. For $15,500 or so, you can get a new Accord DX with the value package including AM/FM/casette/CD, auto, air and side air bags. Fold down the rear seat and other than for large boxes, you will carry a lot more than either the Pro or the Elantra, get a much better ride, enjoy far better resale, get better reliability, and be in a bigger safer car with a far better ride and a heck of lot more leg room.
  • liljonsonliljonson Member Posts: 109
    No offense to the honda lovers out there but i seriously don't think honda is worth it other than the prelude si and s2000, other than that i think hondas are "kaka" the dx for 15K not even loaded, great deal and the weezy non-vtec that an accent gt can beat with ease in stick ofcoarse. The new civics are mad ugly and their .1 liter increase doesn't do much for me. I look at value and if i had a choice between a elantra gt/MP5 or a honda, i'd go with choice #1, much better value because you actually get something standard in the car and don't get a engine that just makes noise and doesn't go, plus i know the engines for the GT and MP5 aren't like the WRX or the new SE-R types of 4 cylinder engines, but atleast you can do engine mods on them to go faster, which i've seen done on accords and they still get beat up by everybody and their grandmothers. Thats just me and my experience though =)
  • tocantocan Member Posts: 118
    Unfortunately, neither of these 2 cars show up on the comparison test lists because they aren't out yet. (Actually I assume it is because the information isn't out yet.) My first try I couldn't even compare the Elantra GLS to the Protege ES, but I managed that the second time through. It's kind of a neat function.

Nomi
  • handydoghandydog Member Posts: 19
    I think I will take Bill_1's advice and take a second look at the Elantra. I got so turned off by the ugly pattern on the fabric that I was probably less inclined to like other aspects of the Elantra. The upgrades in the GT will take care of the ugly fabric and might even the score with the Mazda, especially since the Mazda 5-door is going to be about $2k more than the Elantra GT.

With respect to the Accord DX, I really don't think that it is a better bargain than either the Mazda or Elantra. The interior room is not that much more; the engine output is similar; the standard equipment is less; and my guess is that the performance and handling is inferior. Also, fold-down rear seats are nice, but are not the equivalent of hatch. They help with long skinny items, but anything that is not proportioned to fit through the back doors or trunk opening is not going in the car (and that excludes a lot of stuff). Don't get me wrong, I had an old stripped Civic in the early-mid eighties and love Hondas, I just am not sure that the Accord fits the bill for what I am looking for.
    With all respect, mpgman, I don't think you have ever owned or really used a hatchback or small wagon for what they do best which is carrying stuff. While the Honda will almost certainly have a better resale value, that does not make it necessarily a better choice. The Elantra GT will have a more powerful engine, (you are after all looking at the base model accord) and either the Protege or the Elantra has the potential to carry many more and larger items than almost any car with a trunk. Not to mention that Hatchbacks are easier to park (your back window is the back of the car so no guessing how much space you have behind you).

I have not really looked at Hyundai or Mazda but I might when I look for my next car which I definitely want to be a hatchback... OF course I might decide to go all out and go with a Saab, GTI VR6 or a MB C class...
  • tocantocan Member Posts: 118
    mpgman, while the Accord might be a better choice for you, it doesn't do anything for me. ;-)
    Firstly, I want a car with overall small dimensions. I have a narrow driveway and small garage, so the car can't be too long or too wide. Also, I prefer a smaller car for parking convenience. The Accord is almost 18" longer than the Mazda.

I also want a hatch to make it easier to transport my bicycle. While I will put it on a rack at times, if there is only me I would prefer to have the bicycle in the car.

I also want all the goodies. I like power windows and doorlocks (in fact I consider them both, but particularly doorlocks, to be a safety item). I also want cruise control and ABS and 4 wheel disc brakes and nice seats and... I don't buy a small car because it is cheap, I buy it because it is the right size for me.

Nomi
    Good feedback all. Still think that dollar for dollar, the Honda is a steal. As to hatchbacks, I started with a 78 Rabbit Diesel and now have 316,200 miles on a 88 Festiva with the original engine AND CLUTCH! Looking for a HB myself. To me, the ultimate HB and best package is the Golf, hands down. 4 wheel disc ABS, 8 air bags, 16 inch tires, phenomenal driver and passenger seats, the works. Only drawbacks are reliability and unimpressive fuel mileage with the gas motors. The diesel gets great mpg but will take you 100K miles to make up the extra maintenance. As to the Elantra and Mazda, let's see what they drive like when they are out. I hear the Mazda is 170 inches long, which is shorter than the Pro. Focus will be getting a Ford/Mazda built 2.3 Liter 4 soon as an option, and they do have a very good traction control. Reliability is terrible so far though from what I've read. Good Luck all.
    you could get an accord dx for about 12-14K with its roll down windows lol, i don't think Hondas in general are worth it anymore, its a deawoo with a honda sign on it. the "v-tec" engines you see going around aren't really v-tecs anyway, honda rips you off, you have to really ask for the v-tec to get it, goes the same for the si. yea you could say i'm a honda hater, not hating the people that buy them, just the company in general.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    If by saying "the "v-tec" engines you see going around aren't really v-tecs anyway, honda rips you off, you have to really ask for the v-tec to get it," you mean that not all models have the V-Tec engine, and you have to make sure you get the model that does have it, then you are correct.

Unfortunately, I read what you wrote and see you accusing Honda of misrepresenting what engine is in each car. Or perhaps you think that V-Tec is something that can be added or deleted from a car? EIther way, it's just not true.

>>>>>>>> Back on subject <<<<<<<<<

The Pro5 vs. Elantra GT is a good debate, they are direct competitors. There is much discussion about this in the Protege5 topic.

Link--> Sporin "Mazda Protege5 (Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards)" Jun 20, 2001 11:55am
    no sorry, i forgot to put down the civic si instead of the accord. the accord is a v-tec but most of the civic si's i c on the road aren't v-tecs. i've seen a couple of real ones.
    Oh I see. The problem is that little punks like to buy a DX (non-VTEC) Civic, slap on a bunch of tacky mods that do nothing for actual performance, then slap a big Type-R sticker on the back.

The dealers don't do that.
    ohhhhh. thats why. i really didn't know how hondakids did them. because i see civic "si" with a pipe the size of my pinky. but i also know a dealer that tricked a kid into buying this used civic "si" that wasn't really v-tec,it was real funny, he never said it was a v-tec the kid assumed it was because it was dressed up like one(the dealer didn't do the dressing i think) but the kid never checked the engine, never test drove it and bought it and later found out it wasn't real when he took a beating from a prizm(my friend's) wow that was funny. i bet you if he added the type R sticker he would of token my friend easily LOL =)
  • bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    Finally got around to see the GT and Pro5 in person. I did not get to test drive as the dealerships were closing.

On looks alone the Pro5 wins hands down. To me it is not even close. They had a red Pro5 on the floor. Really nice.

The Elantra GT looks pretty plain to me. A disappointment. I would prefer the GT simply for the value. Right now, I'm leaning to waiting for what is next. Hyundai's new Sonata, and Tiburon. Or maybe even Toyota's Matrix. BTW my brother-in-law is getting the Pro5. They are selling well. He cannot even get a test drive.
  • pocmonsterpocmonster Member Posts: 15
    i have to agree that the P5 is a lot more attractive than the elantra GT. while i applaud hyundai for bringing out a (seemingly) very competent and practical car for an even better price, i simply cannot understand why they had to screw up the styling. the elantra GLS sedan looks nice enough, classy even. but the behind of the GT looks absolutely horrendous. the awfully shaped and placed light clusters simply enlarge the butt even more! it looks like the GT was designed as an afterthought to the GLS, and the front end completely does not match the back.
    Guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder. I agonized over both, but chose the GT. I drive a lot of miles and like the long Hyundai warranty. I know those low profile Pro-5 tires wear fast and can cost a bundle to replace. I also, IMHO, thought the Pro-5 was overdone with exterior plastic...kind of like the way they mask future models when they are concerned about spy photos. Don't get me wrong...not knocking the Pro-5 and may yet get one for the second car I need. For my immediate needs however, the GT had a much better driving position and comfort, a real functional armrest at a good height, more cargo volume, and leather and all of the other nice amenities like traction control and variable intermittent wipers (and intermittent rear) that you can't even get on the Pro. I think both cars are welcome entries, and I have already had people compare the back of the GT to a Saab.
    Actually, the 195/50R-16 Dunlop SP5000's that come on the Pro5 are not unreasonably priced (TireRack $81). Replacements wouldn't be horrid, same-sized Pirelli P6000's are only $59. Kumho ECSTA Supra 712's are only $61. Those are decent prices for performance tires.

I definately see your point though. I won't go bigger then 16's on anything I buy simply because replacement tire cost starts to really get up there. The price jump from 16's to 17's, fo the same tire, can be huge.
  • compensatecompensate Member Posts: 212
    You're right. There are some tires with a decent price available for the P5. However, the Pirelli and Dunlop tires are VERY soft and will likely have to be replaced every 20,000 miles - not something I would want to have to do. The Kumho's have a higher treadwear rating and would likely be a decent-wearing tire, but I wonder about this tire's long-term quality. Anyone know anything about the long-term reliability of Kumho tires?

I myself am struggling between purchasing the Elantra GT vs the P5. It's a tough decision!
    Did the comparison test on the link you provided for the Elantra GT and Pro-5. Thanks. However, one line item on the Elantra is inaccurate. All Elantras, GLS and GT, have optional traction/stability control. It is package 5 on the GLS and package 2 on the GT. The site lists it as "unavailable." This is bundled with ABS on the GLS and ABS and a moonroof on the GT.
    Yup, the stickier the tire, the quicker it wears. It's a tradeoff for increased handling. I would run dedicated snows in the winter (15") but still, I would be replaceing tires ever 2 years or so.. not too bad, but I definately see your point.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Kumho tires aren't bad at all. I have real cheap 13" Kumho tires on my 00 Hyundai Accent and they show very little wear after 16,500 miles. I haven't even needed to rebalance them yet, which is quite an accomplishment for such cheap tires. They have surprisingly good grip in the dry (they have only squealed once in a very fast turn) and are reasonably ok in hydroplane resistance, but overall wet traction is its downside. The front brakes tend to lock up quite easily if the ground is moist and the little 92 horse engine can easily overpower the right tire and make it spin fruitlessly in the rain. The tires are also very quiet and comfortable riding. Overall, I have been quite impressed with these Korean tires and would have no problem buying a Kumho tire over a Michelin. Someone else in the Accent forum has put 52K on his original set of Kumho tires and has praised them for its excellent wear and its resistance to losing air pressure and balance. If the cheap OEM brand tires hold up this well, I have to believe the higher performance ones should be just as good quality wise.
    Good to hear about the good experiences with Kumho tires. I'd considered buying them from time to time, but was worried about how well they would last, their performance, belt strength, etc. The last time I bought a generic tire (Continental, I think it was), it developed a bubble in its sidewall after only 10,000 miles of non-aggressive driving.

Pro5 or Elantra GT? I don't know if I'll be able to decide this one until I drive them both.
  • hung0820hung0820 Member Posts: 426
    I am currently the Owner of the Hyundai Santa Fe and I will look forward for buying the Elantra Gt as well. Here is what I like about the Elantra GT that other company do not offer; An optional of TRACTION CONTROL on the Elantra GT plus the rear SWAY BAR. So overall what I like and plan to buy the top model by 2002:

1. Side Airbags (safety)
    2. 4 Independent Suspension (smooth ride)
    3. Traction Control (Cornering, Safety, etc.)
    4. Sway Bar (Cornering, Curb wide turn)
    5. Price and Warranty (Best in its class)
    6. Leather Seats (luxury look)
    7. 28.3 cubic ft-rear seats fold (many cargo space)
    8. 25/35 city/hiway MPG (Great w/ sport car ride)
    9. Sun/Moonroof (nice with good price)
    10. ABS (another safety feature)
    11. 3-Point seat belts/pretensioners w/ force limiters

Here is a list of its competitors:
    1. Mazda Protege5
    2. Subara Impreza Sportwagon
    3. Ford Focus Z5
    4. Pontiac Vibe
    5. Toyota Matrix
    6. Volkswagon Golf
    7. ***Elantra GT***
    You can buy a 5 speed for around $15k and an auto for $16k or under. That plus the warranty.....you can't beat it, although base GLSs for around $10k or less are the ultimate deal in terms of pounds and content for the dollar.
  • hung0820hung0820 Member Posts: 426
    Yes! The price on the 5 speed quite awesome as well. I will be getting the 4-speed Auto because my wife can not drive Manual Gear. With the Santa Fe right Now; I always drive the Manual Shiftronic and while my wife drive A/T. The Santa Fe has great feature to drive Manual and A/T. Hyundai make such a great cars now-a-day; I can't believe the quality, price, and warranty they offer (it is extremely faboulous; no word to describe it; I create a website for my Santa Fe; www.y2kcatalogs.com/santafe). By next year I will create a site for the Elantra GT as well...
  • zcmanzcman Member Posts: 17
    Read the posts on both the Elantra GT board and the Elantra sedan board. The quality is not there on the Hyundai. Considering the small number of posts on these boards the owners with problems with the Elantra/GT is almost as bad as the Ford Focus ZX3.
    What are you referring to? I have nearly 5,000 miles on a GT and only needed to have the fuel gauge recalibrated and a stuck release button reset. Other than than, no problems at all. No oil consumption, no rattles, no squeaks, no shimmy, nothing but great cruising with an absolutely awesome a/c unit and some of the most comfortable seats you will find this side of $25k. Take a look at Honda and Mazda boards and tell me no one is reporting problems there.
    Even the cars of highest quality will have some regular "initial defects." Most cars I've seen tested by Consumer Reports come with two to four minor sample defects, even Hondas, Toyotas, etc. It's the major defects that are most important to avoid, and I've seen little complaint about major defects with the 2001+ Elantra GT and GLS.

As you also stated, the Protege boards have had quite a few complaints as well about initial defects.

And, Wow! You've already got 5,000 miles on your GT? Amazing! I've only got 1,700 miles on mine now after 18 days of ownership.
  • pearlbluesoulpearlbluesoul Member Posts: 30
    hung0820: Some of the cars you listed should not be compared to the GT... namely the Impreza, Vibe, Matrix, Golf, or Jetta Wagon. These cars are in another league altogether.

I was able to see my first GT at a Hyundai/Subaru dealer while visiting Alberta this weekend. The only one they had was a base model with a cheapo plastic interior and uncomfortable seats with cheapo fabric. There seem to be only two packages available in Canada: base and premium. I would like to have seen the premium version which they were asking $21495 CDN for. This is quite an amazing price considering the equipment included (leather seats, ABS, sunroof, traction control). But still, as soon as you sit down in the GT you immediately realize that this car has nowhere near the level of refinement of cars such as the Impreza or Golf. Nor would I expect it to for that price.
    If you sat in the American version, you might not think that way. I love the Golf, but the state side version of the Elantra GT interior doesn't take a back seat to anything in or near its price class.
  • zcmanzcman Member Posts: 17
    The topic on this board is the Elantra GT vs the Protege5. Read the problems on the Elantra Gt board vs the Protege5 board. Shimmy/vibrations, warped rotors, malfunctionimg CD players, idle problems, on the Elantra vs zip on the Protege5 board. Add in the problems with the airbag deployment which Hyundai to this date insists is not a problem, and there is no comparision in uality.
    You might also note the vast number of problems reported on the Mazda Protege (sedan) board compared to the Elantra (sedan) board. It looks like there are quite a few defects being found on the 2000 and 2001 models, many of which seem worse than some of the defects reported for the Elantra sedan.

I'm not knocking Mazda (as my wife currently drives one and I have owned 4 in my life so far), but to me it seems their build quality is slowly deteriorating, especially since Ford has a lot of control now. As a matter of fact, our 1999 Protege ES was built in Japan, but I think the newer ones are built in the US, which, to me, means quality could take a downturn for the Protege. We'll have to wait and see I suppose.
    All current Protege's are built in Japan, with 95% Japanese parts.

It's important ot remember that what you read *here* is just one step short of hearsay. I's not statistical evidence, it's anecdotal.

The Protege is rated very highly by EVERY consumer magazine, with overall reliability and longevity right up there with the Honda/Toyota benchmarks. That's supported by statistical evidence.

I think Hyundai is the most improved auto manufacturer around, they get better every year, but they aren not up to Honda/Toyota/Mazda levels
    *yet.*
    Well...I am basing my opinions on first hand experience with 4,800 miles on my GT. The idle issue appears to be a query by some people with 5 speed manuals. Can't address that...I have an automatic. The car is trouble free to date. Besides, the Pro's appearance makes it look like it is a wagon. The GT is a true hatchback. The Pro-5 is also about 7 inches shorter and costs a few thousand more. Comparing them might not even make sense, in that regard.
    I'm sorry mpgman, I don't mean to discount your first-hand experience, or to imply that the Elantra is bad. Just the opposite actually.

My point is that you simpy cannot draw any conclusions, about any car, based on postings by anonymous Town Hallers. It's anecdotal evidence at best, and has no basis in actual, scientific, statistical analysis.
    Agree, and every car can be different, either to the good side or the bad, regardless of who made it. I never would have even considered an Elantra until I read the CR review of that, as well as the Sonata and Santa Fe. When neighbors started reporting favorable experiences, I got the courage to go to a dealership and test drive a GT. Will I feel the same way in a year or two? Stay tuned. Guess that is why buying a Civic is the safest bet if you think you made a mistake. You can always find someone to pay top dollar to give you a second chance.
This discussion has been closed.