Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab -vs- Nissan Frontier Crew Cab

alex17alex17 Member Posts: 35
edited April 2014 in Toyota
Does anyone have an opinion on which one of these is better?

I will be buying a loaded 2wd version of both. I will not get the Limited package on the toyota nor will I get the Supercharger on the Nissan.

I don't haul anything. But I do need to carry a child seat in the back seat. Also I keep my vehicles for a long time 150,000+ miles so resale value will not be a huge factor since with that kind of mileage both trucks will be worth nearly the same. I just need safe, reliable transportation to get me around my construction job sites and then home at the end of the day.

Which one is better overall and for the purposes I stated above?

Comments

• hydrogeekhydrogeek Member Posts: 10
    Alex17,

I recently purchased the Frontier CC. I bought the SE CC 2wd and I really like it. I got all the options that I really wanted including bed liner and bed extended. My kids love the truck and they think it looks really cool. My co-workers think it looks great and I get a lot of looks from other drivers on the road. People pull along side on the highway and check it out.

I test drove the Toyota and the Nissan both before deciding to buy the Nissan. I live in Northern California and the Toyota is a hot item right now and the dealer said that the DC is selling near MSRP. In the San Francisco Bay Area they are selling for over. I purchased my Nissan through a series of mails to a few local dealerships and made a deal for exactly what I wanted with no hassle for $300 over invoice price.

I have two small children, one in a forward facing car seat and one in a booster, and they fit fine in the Nissan. The Toyota would also work fine for little ones. One great thing about the Nissan is that NHTSA rated it as five stars in their side impact crash testing.

For dependability you can not go wrong with either one. But price wise I believe the Nissan is a much better value. Check this site and price both with all the options that you want, and stay far away from the four cylinder Toyota DC, it is dangerously under powered in my opinion.

Good Luck.
  • lilly2000lilly2000 Member Posts: 25
    I AGREED WITH EVERY ONE, THEY ARE BOTH TWO GOOD TRUCKS,, BUT THE TO YO TA DEALERS ARE NOT LET IT GO FOR ANYWHERE NEAR THE INVOICE PRICE,, THE CC IS WONDERFUL, I HAVE A 2000 SE LOADED,,, I WIFE IS TRILL WITH IT, SHE DRIVES IT MORE THAN I DO, THE PROBLEM WITH TOYOTA IS THAT THEY WANT TO MUCH MONEY FOR ALL THE EXTRAS STUFF,, UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO PAID FOR IT, GO AHEAD IS GREAT TRUCK TOO...MY TRUCK HAS 12K WITH NO PROBLEM AT ALL YET!
  • briancorrbriancorr Member Posts: 67
    I decided on the tacoma double cab. A friend has the nissan CC and after riding in it, I knew I wanted the toyota. I believe they are both good trucks, will both last a long time and will both have a good resale value. Cons for the nissan are the v6 engine was underpowered and the back seat wasn't comfortable for adults. The toyota V6 feels more powerful and the backseat seems to have a couple extra inches of leg room.
    I also prefer the rounder styling of the toyota compared to the boxy style of the nissan. But that's just my perference.
    The Nissan does seem to be a better value because Toyota dealers, in general, SUCK. They want sticker which is a crock. They gouge you for extra's which most dealers seem to do anyway. I don't know where you are buying but I have heard from a number of people that got $500 or $750 over invoice, especially in CA.
    If you like both, I think it really comes down to what kind of deal you can get and the way you are treated by your dealer.
  • toyrotatoyrota Member Posts: 66
    Here's my view: I live in virginia, and through the normal negotiation process (haggling), I bought my 2001 Toyota Double Cab Prerunner V6 TRD for about $300 over invoice of base cost, plus invoice on all options. Yeah, it was a pretty good deal. It can be done. If the Toyota dealer doesn't want to budge on price, give your business to someone else, even if you have to drive a couple hours to do it!
    As for Nissan dealers, they would give me a CC for 200 or 300 over invoice, OVER THE PHONE! They were extremely easy to get the price down. Plus, I think they have incentives (although maybe not for the CC).

As for the Toyota 2.7 DoubleCab being underpowered, look at Edmunds info on horsepower/torque/vehicle weight ratings, and then compare those numbers to the Nissan 3.3 V6. The Toyota 2.7 is listed as 150HP for 3,430 lbs. The Nissan 3.3 is listed as 170HP for 3990 lbs. The math indicates that the lighter 4 cylinder Toyota has a slight edge over the Nissan V6. Perhaps the auto in the Toyota makes it feel slower? The 190 HP V6 in my 3475 lb. Double Cab has power to spare...
  • lee80lee80 Member Posts: 5
    I've had my CC SE for 19 months, have 19000+ miles and have not had any problems. At 3000 miles I did switch oil over to Mobil 1 basically as an insurance policy. My old 86 1/2' Nissan had 180,000 miles on it when I sold it, with no mechanical problems to speak of. I have to admit that when I 1st saw the Toyota CC, I wanted it too, and if I could afford it you bet I would have two CC in my driveway.
  • kevguykevguy Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my toyota tacoma double cab in Northern ca the 1st week they were available and I love it, It is far roomier than the frontier and to me seems like the better purchase. I was lucky enough to get it close to invoice with the options I wanted and color. 1 week later I went back to the dealership to have a bedliner installed and a few salesman wanted to buy it back for $1000 more than I paid for it. If you can't afford it(Tacoma) I would actually go with the Dodge Dakota crew cab It seems to have a larger bed and rear seat than the frontier.
  • bmsorybmsory Member Posts: 17
    Toyota has been my name brand since 1986 because it's reliable and the resale value is second to none so all of my cars are toyotas. But, after stopping by some Nissan and Toyota dealers in
    southern california the 2001 frontier was a winner
    for me and I just got one: the 2001 NISSAN FONTIER
    CC-SE with 5 Sp Manual. Here's why:
    * My 2001 frontier CC-SE comes with many accessories like: Roof racks, Side steps, Bed liner, Bed extender and 6 Disc CD changer and it cost less than the tacoma DC with SR5 package about $1,300.00.
    * I got $500.00 rebate worth of accessory which I can use it instantly to buy more accessories like:
    Bug deflector, Windows deflectors, Seat covers, Wheel locks, Bed net and etc...it just like I get those for free. Tacoma has a long list of options that will make you pay for it.
    * ABS are options for the Tacoma but standard for my truck.
    * Safety for the side impact: My truck is rated very good because it has a metal bar on the side doors but sorry for the tacoma it hasn't " rated very poor ".
    * I like the front and rear end layout it looks a lot cooler than the tacoma.
    * It's smaller and shorter than the Tacoma but it fits my needs.
    * 170HP I felt strong with 5 Sp Manual and it's accaptable for me.
    * Nissan quality and workmanship is also second to none otherwise you and I will not see Nissan on the road any more.
    * Finally: I saved close to $4,000.00 over the Tacoma that's why the 2001 frontier CC-SE is a winner for me at this time...
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Member Posts: 218
    I agree with you....your reasons were basically the same as mine. I struggled for weeks between the CrewCab and the DoubleCab. It finally came down to the fact that I could get a lot more equiptment, like leather and a sunroof that you couldn't get @ all on the DoubleCab, for a whole lot less $$$!

I could not locate a DoubleCab Limited @ all, but the dealer told me it would be pushing 30k and there was no haggling over price. Nissan dealed with me.

Both are high quality trucks for sure....I just think the CC is a much better value. More bang for less bucks!
  • mgm999mgm999 Member Posts: 1
    I was set to buy a Nissan CC, I had negotiated a trade on my Maxima, basically picked out a color and was ready to buy, but I couldn't. I just couldn't get over the looks of the Nissan CC, too wild for me. Quite frankly it was too cramped in the back for a car seat and kids as well. Then came the Toyota, I knew the minute I sat in it, the ride the back seat room, the fit & finish, it's looks, this was THE TRUCK no doubt. Yes the Nissan is cheaper and you can get a better deal and if that's what you want, do it. Ask yourself ("Why can you get such a great deal?") The Toyota is head and shoulders above the Nissan in every category, except price (they don't have to be someone else will buy it if you don't!, if Nissan could do this you bet they would too, don't blame the Toyota dealers, supply and demand at work here!). This is coming from a very satisfied previous Nissan owner.
  • cncmancncman Member Posts: 487
    Actually, the fact that Nissan is dealing is due to the fact that they were the first to come out with the crew cab, so they have had a chance to cool off, the double cab is new, and new popular models are usually not discounted much until the newness wears off, I had the chance to get in a DC over the weekend, the local dealer though closed left one open, there looks to be more room in the back, but when I sat back there, it did not seem to be a big difference, and it also seemed more narrow, also all of the doors and body panels seemed so light compared to the frontier, other than that I think they are very comparable, I did not get to drive it though, but what's the idea of a 4 cylinder in a truck that big? THe local dealer also had a $3,000 additional markup on it for roadside assistance, paint and fabric sealant and a pinstripe, wow that's really worth $3,000! Now I know how my friend said he was looking at them and they offered him a $4,000 discount.
  • ingallsingalls Member Posts: 12
    Where did you get the $500.00 rebate for accessories??..was that a Nissan rebate or a dealership rebate??..I live in Ca also and my 2001 SC Crew Cab is due in on April 10th and if there are rebates available please let me know!!..thanks!!
  • bmsorybmsory Member Posts: 17
    $500.00 worth of accessories rebate for
    2001 frontier crew cab is Nissan's rebate and
    the offer ends 03/31/2001. Hurry ! go ask
    your salesman to see if it apply
    to the SC model, Mine is SE.
    Good luck !
    bmsorry
  • curiousj0ncuriousj0n Member Posts: 1
    I was able to get the Toyota Double Cab with the Limited package all for invoice pricing. The truck only had 2 miles on it when I got it. This was on like December 28th of 2000.
  • ingallsingalls Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the info..... called the dealership before I left last week to inquire about the rebate and they never got back with me..gee, that's a surprise!!... anyway, hoping to get the rebate to help pay for some of the extra goodies that I want to get for it... hate it when they tease us with all these extras!!... thanks again........
    Where in the USA are you? I tried several dealers here in the Houston area and not one would come off MSRP! Plus, I couldn't find ONE Limited in the entire city!

I have to say...Toyota has THE MOST confusing option packages I have ever come across. Not sure what it is about it...but something is fishy...
    There aren't any limiteds in the TX region becuase toyota marketing didn't feel they would sell here or some stupid reason like that. That's what I was told by Gulf States Toyota who supplies all dealers in TX. I am in Dallas and the most any dealer would come down was $700. I talked them into giving me $2000 more for my trade in so it worked out ok for me.
  • equimanequiman Member Posts: 12
    I have been a Toyota fan for many years, owning exclusively Toyota. However, I bought the Nissan CC about a year ago before the Toyota DC was introduced. I have been extremely pleased with the Nissan CC. As far as quality, I do not think Toyota has anything over Nissan. As far as rear seat room, neither vehicle is extremely comfortable for adult rear-seat passengers. All this talk about the Toyota being so much roomer in the rear seat is ridiculous. I believe that the Toyota has two or three more inches rear leg room. Whereas, the Nissan CC has a couple more inches hip room. Big deal. In the real world it really doesn't make a difference. If I was looking for a small pick-up with a comfortable rear seat, I would have bought a Dakota Crew Cab. However, I had other priorities such as quality and reliability. Both the Toyota DC and Nissan CC are great vehicles. However, since the Nissan CC appears to be considerably less expensive than the Toyota DC, my vote goes to Nissan.
  • kimbolkimbol Member Posts: 1
    I bought my DC last week at Tempe Toyota and got a terrific deal, near invoice, plus two years free maintenance. Today, AutoNation.com even offered a quote of 21,389 (that's $1,468 below MSRP) for a Lunar Mist DC with SR5 and TRD package, full power, and sliding rear window. This is the V6 auto too. Other dealers in the Phoenix area are getting ADMs of $1,000 or more above MSRP. So check it out. You are right about the Nissan CC in that you can get a better equipped one for less than the Tacoma DC. But I wanted the extra 20 horsepower the Tacoma offers.
  • classsof70classsof70 Member Posts: 2
    WANT TO STAY ABOUT $15,OOO.00 AM LOOKING FOR A 1999 TOYOTA TACOMA 4X4 REG CAB OR EXTENDED CAB OR SHOULD I BUY A NISSAN PICK UP SAME OF SAME DESCRIPTION WOULD LIKE BIG 4 CYL AND 5 SPEED IN EITHER WHICH ONE WOULD BE BETTER AND WHY NEED ADVICE THANK YOU
  • ganipganopganipganop Member Posts: 1
    I just love my new Toyota crew cab. Not only is it the best looking truck of it's type, but also the highest quality. As far as the Nissan goes, I test drove one just to see the difference between the two and there was no question, Toyota looks better inside and out.The Nissan's front end is very ugly and the dash inside is very plain. The bed is also shorter with ugly overly large tail lights. Also, the Nissan dealer was not cooperative and would not show me the dealer invoice and told me I would have to pay more than the MSRP because they were in demand. Well, I told them to keep dreaming and I didn't intend to get the Nissan anyway. Nissan's quality has always been below Toyota and Honda's. I got my Tacoma CC V6 TRD Limited for just over $24,000.
    I later intend on installing the supercharger which will increase horsepower to 260 from the current 190. Toyota: the best looking best quality trucks.
    TO : GANIPGANOP.
    LOVE YOU TRUCK IS YOUR MONEY. YOU CAN SPEND IT ANYWAY YOU LIKE . I OWN A 2000 CC, VERY HAPPY NO PROBLEM, I COULDN'T WAIT FOR TOYOTA TO THINK. AND I COULD SAY THE SAME THING ABOUT THE TOYOTA CC, PLAIN LOOKING, NO STYLE, NOT NISSAN QUALITY, REMEMBER, TOYOTA IS JUST CATCHING UP WITH NISSAN IN CC.
    BUT WHY SAID THAT! THEY ARE BOTH GREAT LOOKING TRUCKS, GOOD VALUE COMPARE TO AMERICAN TRUCK.
    I RESPECT YOUR CHOICE FOR YOUR REASON. NISSAN CC GO BACK TO 1998, TOYOTA'S ARE JUST MONTHS OLD.
    Actually toyota has been making crew cabs for years, they just hadn't brought them to the US.
  • alex17alex17 Member Posts: 35
    1. Roomier back seat area. On paper it only looks like the Toyo has 3 more inches, but in reality it feels like much more.

2. Bed is nearly 1 foot longer. This is useful for hauling my bikes around without putting the tailgate down.

3. Standard fabric seats in the Frontier SE feel like polyester from the 70's. The Toyota SR5 seat fabrics are much nicer looking, and look more durable. Only time will tell though.

4. Toyota suspension is much better for even light off road duty. Even Nissan's engineers describe the CC as more of a street truck. The Nissan does ride very nicely on the highway though. The Toyota has a true 4x4 suspension without compromising road comfort.

5. Gas Mileage. The Frontier that a friend has only gets 17.5mpg consistantly even after 15000 miles of break in. The Pathfinder I had before with the same engine as the Frontier only got 16-17mpg. The Toyota DC I have with less than 500 miels on it got 19.8 and 19.9 mpg on its first two fill ups.

6. Resale Value. There is no reality only perception. The marketplace as a whole has the perception that Toyota builds a higher quality vehicle than anyone else. That perception will yield me a higher resale value when it comes time to sell my Toyota.

7. Looks (this is a subjective opinion). The Frontier reminds me of a Tonka truck. It looks kind of like someone put it together in their garage. I'm also very confident that in about 3 years that wild styling will look very dated. The Toyota can only be described as a very handsome vehicle.

8. Warranty. The Toyota Warranty provides for a rental car anytime the vehicle is in service for more than one working day. They also pay for towing to the nearest Toyota dealer if needed.

9. The seat back of the rear seats on the Toyota have a hard plastic surface to place items that may damage the seats. The back of the Frontier has foam and steel wire showing.

--------

I will say that if you don't ever plan on having adults in the back seat, using the bed of the truck to carry large items, using the truck off road, or use it for longer than 3 years. Then the Frontier is probably your better bet. You can get it cheaper (about $1500 less) and with more options ( tinted glass, 6 disc CD changer, Leather Seats, Limited Slip Diff, 4 wheel ABS, Steering wheel mounted radio controls) The Frontier I looked at with all those options was the same price (out the door) as the Toyota I bought without those options. Good luck with your purchase.
    Alex, I agree with you and I think your comparison is pretty real.
    Also, the V6 on the nissan lacks power compared to the V6 on the toyota. Add the supercharger to the nissan and you start getting closer to the toyota V6. Add the supercharger to the toyota and there is no comparison.
    TO: BRIANCORR. yes you are right, cc have bean in the market for a while, but not in the USA. i am from the CARIBEAN, nissan, and toyota crew cabs go back to the 80's. but in the USA nissan was first. Give credit where credit is due. The conmpetition can only better the pioneers. which isn't bad for the comsumers. like us
    We have all pretty much agreed that they are both nice trucks...hate to see it getting nasty...
    I wasn't trying to be nasty or take credit away from anyone. Simply stating the fact that crew cabs have been produced by Toyota (and Nissan) for many years. I don't think the nissan crew cab is better simply because it was introduced in the US first, as implied in an earlier post. Maybe I interpreted that post wrong.
    I am not going to get into which is better because it is totally SUBJECTIVE. If I want to argue, I'll go the the tacome vs. ranger thread. What a waste of memory that thread is!
    Sorry, wasn't talking about your post....I read an earlier one that appeared very Toyota biased...its been nice up to that point to see most of us agree that they are both well made vehicles with each having plus and minus....the post I was referring to, was one of those..."Nissan sucks and Toyota rules!" kind of posts that just take up space....

Best.
  • extremerextremer Member Posts: 9
    just went over 1000 mile mark with my dcab.its a 4x4 with a supercharger.i am really glad i got the supercharger,had a little buyers remorse early on.i'm getting just shy of 18 mpg.do you guys think that will increase over time?i keep reading about owners getting 20 mpg and i didn't think the supercharger would take away from my gas mileage and i swear i don't really stomp on the gas too much.....and every time i get next to a nissan on the freeway i KNOW i made the best decision on my purchase.
    Have anyone notice the tubing that runs on the right side for the Radiator. this tubing is close
    <<<<WHY>>>
    can anyone explain this. can it be remove for more air intake?
  • kevin101kevin101 Member Posts: 3
    I love Toyota. I want a four door pickup but I love 5 speed and I cant see myself buying a truck that's not 5 spd.. So my question is this.. Is toyota ever coming out with a 5 spd DC?? If anyone has any insight please let me know.. Other than that, I really don't mind Frontier CC. Is it worth waiting..? All I need is the basic model.. no features necessary so I dont have to worry about toyotas ridiculous upgrade charges..
    Have you went and looked @ the Nissan? I spent several months trying to decide between a Frontier or Tacoma Crew Cab and ended up with the Nissan. I love it. I really do feel its the better value of the two. I loved the Tacoma, but your right it got very pricey, very quickly, and that was with a limited number of options. I got a fully loaded Nissan Frontier for several thousand less then what Toyota was selling a mid-level Double Cab for. From a quality standpoint, I put them on the same level....I have NO regrets, none.

Go check out the Nissan. You can get them with a 5 speed too. Only thing I don't care for on the base Frontier XE is the ugly black wheel skirts. If you upgrade to the SE, they are body colored. It looks so much better.
  • nissancrewcabnissancrewcab Member Posts: 12
    Are all of you aware the 2002 Nissan Crew Cab will be available with a 6 foot bed? Now Toyota will have to do the same. So will Dodge.
  • countsmackula1countsmackula1 Member Posts: 61
    Just for the record,Toyota had a crew cab pickup for the international market in 1957, so Nissan cannot really claim anything. Nissan introduced the EXTENDED cab here somewhere around '73, from what my pseudo-Nissan expert neighbor tells me.And of course we got four doors from them in 1999 and from Toyota in 2001. But as as far as the actual four door crew-cab, Toyota had it first.
  • chazmaniachazmania Member Posts: 1
    Interesting discussion on Toyota DC as Nissan CC. I currently have two Toyotas and have had very good experiences so far. However, I have a need for something with more towing power. My '92 Toyota 1/2 ton has 152,000 and still going very good, but the 4 cylinder engine struggles when towing the camper. Our '94 Previa does better when towing, but I'm afraid I'm going to cause premature damage.
    I'm looking very hard at the Toyota, but it has three things I don't like. 1) Not available with 5-speed 2) the bed is over a foot shorter than my current truck and 3) you can't turn off the passenger side air bag (thats the main reason my kids like riding in my truck now, they can ride up front!)
    The Nissan has all of these issues addressed, but I don't have the warm fuzzy feeling I've got with Toyota. Also, the towing capacity is much less (3500lbs as 5000lbs).
    Does anyone know if its possible to get a switch put in to be able to turn off the passenger side air bag? Two dealers I've spoken to said they wouldn't be able to do it. I don't want it permanently disabled, but want a key locked switch to turn it off when desired.
    Just a point of clarification. Nissan's towing capacity is 5000lbs with the automatic, 3500lbs with the 5 speed.

I know you said that you want a stick, but since you can't get it on the Toyota, the towing capacity equals out when you compare and automatic Nissan to an automatic Toyota.

Can't help you on the air bag switch. I know you can get the switch on a King Cab, but not the Crew.
  • countsmackula1countsmackula1 Member Posts: 61
    I guess you know that the 2002 Frontier will be available in a crew cab-long bed configuration. It's a six foot bed, but by crew cab standards that's over a foot and a half more that the current one . Also, the Tacoma is supposed to be redesigned , but I can't tell yet whether it's 2002 or 2003. In other words, I'd wait about three more months or so. I think you'll be glad you did. I agree about the Toyota . Mine was the only vehicle I've owned that was totally trouble free until the day I sold it with 224,000 on the ol' 22R-E.
This discussion has been closed.