Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima vs. Honda Accord

coolsnow23coolsnow23 Member Posts: 1
edited June 2014 in Honda
I am debating on buying the Nissan Maxima or the Honda Accord. Which car should I choose? Is the Nissan Maxima as reliable as the Accord? Is the Honda Bose really worth it or is the Accord 6 disk changer better? What is your opinion?

Comments

• maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    The Accord is nice, I should know, we have had 3! I'd go with the Maxima because it is slightly larger, not seen as much, and sportier. The Accord is everywhere in my family. My Grandma owns two, a 1991 and 1985. My aunt has had 2 1989 and 1990, and my mom had a 1984, now we have a 1992 and she is looking for a 1993. I personally am looking at the New Passat glx and the Maxima SE or GLE, have you looked at the GLE, it compares closer to the Accord than the SE does. The Accord V-6 in my area (Jonesville S.C.) can be brought for about 22,000, while the Maxima SE loaded cost about 24,000. Keep in mine that the Maxima has more equipment than the Accord. Heated seats available, traction control available, and the BOSE system is awesome. The 6 disk changer is tempting, but the stock 60 watt stereo in the Accord is subpar. Now if the Accord was available with the 5 speed V6, I would probably look at it closer. What colors are you considering, I love the Satin Silver available on the Accord, on the Maxima the Satin Blue Pearl and the Merlot color are my favorites.
    Good Luck to you.
    Reg
    The Maxima as I can remember is slightly more reliable than the Accord, but I am not sure.
  • jans4jans4 Member Posts: 7
    Let's not forget about the Accord's excellent safety rating and resale value, especially compared with the Maxima. It also comes with traction control(not as an option).
  • jdx11379jdx11379 Member Posts: 4
    We are most likely going to get an Accord EX V6 later this year. I was wondering if anyone had good/bad experiences with the dealer options. I thought about getting some Accord all-weather floor mats (Chicago winters will destroy nice carpeting)and changing the standard alloys with some of the dealer rims. Has anyone been able to negotiate with dealer options? Are these options even worth getting from the dealer to begin with? I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks
    I forgot that traction control is standard on the V6 models for 2001.
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    My parents took the Maxima because they didnt want a car that everyone had. You get the "VQ" engine which is the best V6 ever (according to Wards). Plus the Maxima is quieter...but rides harsher. but you get great performance/handling (according to my dad) for the harsher ride. the interior looks much better than the accords too (IMO).
  • edwardsa1edwardsa1 Member Posts: 34
    I recently traded in my '98 Accord EX V-6 for a 2001 SE (admittedly with a 5-speed, so it is not an apples-to-apples comparison). I like the Max MUCH better. I was really disappointed with the build and finish quality of the Accord, which IMO was not up to Honda's generally high standards at all (perhaps the American manufacturing enters into this?).

I suggest test-driving both. I found the Accord had a suprisingly harsh ride considering its copious amounts of body roll and nose dive (the SE, with its 17" wheels, has a firm ride but at least it handles accordingly), and the steering is very slow and overboosted in comparison to the Maxima. The Max also has a much more substantial feel all around, at least to me.

I thought the Accord's engine was its only real saving grace; it had no sporting aspirations at all and was generally rather numb and uncommunicative to drive. To each his own I guess. I thought R&T summed it up nicely when they compared the Accord, Max, Camry, Grand Prix, and Taurus last May; they said the Maxima was "a shark among groupers," and ranked it #1.
  • jans4jans4 Member Posts: 7
    The Maxima SE has a sportier look and I believe has a sportier suspension than the Maxima GLE. The GLE may be a better (apples to apples) comparison with the EXV6. I also don't think comparing a 5 speed manual transmission with a automatic is realistic.
  • rodriguez2rodriguez2 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased the EX V6 Accord with the audio wood trimming and the rear spoiler, Satin Silver. This car is so hot! The 2001 EX comes with everything you'll ever need, plus the room of a sedan. I looked at the Maxima but it fell short when closely compared with the Accord. Note, the 2 thousand dollar difference between the two. Thus, not only is the Accord a better packaged car it's slightly less expensive. Go with the group leader, the Accord EX V6, sliver of course! You are probably going to want to add the rear spoiler and extra wood trimming for that added luxury feel.

A proud Honda owner,
    Robert Rodriguez
    Hee hee - my Accord EX V-6 did not seem so well packaged when its driver's seat started to disintegrate at 37,000 miles, or when its fuel gauge sending unit failed, or when the entire inner portion of the driver's door moved in and out when the window was being raised or lowered, or when it emitted a high ringing noise from the engine compartment in cold weather, and certainly not when I went to turn and it responded like a foundering flounder.

I agree the Accord is the class leader on paper, as it offers a tremendous feature set for the money, and I rationalized mine for a long time on that basis - it seemed better-equipped and more powerful, and much cheaper to boot, than my Dad's Acura Legends, which were great cars in their day. But when it came to actually driving it, I was tremendously disappointed. I think in this class the Maxima is clearly the car to beat for folks who want a sporty car, and the Camry is probably the comfort and refinement leader. I found my Accord to combine the two qualities in a way that did not satisfy me at all - it seemed to combine excessive ride harshness with very slow, overboosted steering. To each his own I guess. In all fairness I really dislike automatic transmissions as well, which did not help the car in my eyes either.
  • r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    I test drove both but I have a little bit different opinions.

Maxima:
    I tried the SE. I couldn't feel much difference on the suspension system (comapred to my current Altima GXE's ??). The interior is much nicer. The car is more stable but I have to press the accelerator harder to make it go. May be I used to Nissan's accelerator and their accelerator pedals seem to be tighter.

Accord:
    I tried LX-V6 instead of the EX-V6. The interior is cheaper (because it is a LX ?). Anyway, I looked at an EX interior and it is just a little bit better. The automatic climate control is too simple and like a toy. I felt the car move quicker. I pressed the accelerator slightly and the car moves. The car felt lighter too. I won't buy EX because leather seats without heated seats in winter (esp. in the Midwest region) is kind of stupid.

You can better paint, interest rate from Nissan, longer bumper-bumper & major components warranty from Nissan, and you can usually get a better deal too.

If I buy Nissan again, I may buy a 1-2 years old one because used Nissans are cheap.
  • kcallkcall Member Posts: 6
  • kcallkcall Member Posts: 6
    OOPS, sorry about that. I just registered, and made first boo-boo. Im considering purchase of a 2001 Maxima in next 2-3 weeks. My choices are between the SE (not anniversary edition) and GLE.
    SE if purchased would be equipped similar to GLE with leather,sunroof, etc, plus 17 inch tires.

Questions: Best dealer price so far on GLE with roof, microfilter,floormats is $25531. Have not prices a SE yet. Is this a reasonable price? Does the SE with 17 inch rubber have a noticeable harsher ride? Is premium fuel required?

Any and all input is appreciated> Thanks in advance.
  • borisgudonovborisgudonov Member Posts: 36
    I'm not even considering cars, but I saw this board and I had to throw in my two cents. I test-drove an SE fully loaded just to get a feel for it and the thing was smooth as silk. On paper, the Accords pick-up doesn't compare to the Maxima. Accords are for grandparents, anyhow. They are terribly plain, don't you think? (hope there are no Accord drivers in here; if there are, then sorry) You have to dress them up to make them look good. I don't like the rear end of the new Maxi generation but it's more bold than the Accord. Anyway I'm outta my league cause I only have a '97 SE 5-speed that I just got the first of the year. I sure would like the extra 35 or 37 hp or even the extra 75 or so that will be on the latest models, but I'm content and I'm too broke to get anything more and have a little change left for food and shelter and school and other minor things.
  • w900lw900l Member Posts: 5
    Hello, I'm new to this, but thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I'm currently trying to decided between the Accord EXLV, the Max SE and the Acura TL. Went and drove all three the same day, and was really disappointed with the Accord, when compared to the Max and TL. I've owned seven Accords (along with my first Honda product when I was seven which was a kick n'go, five CR's, my wife's Legend, and a mower), so I'm pretty biased toward Honda products. But I was not at all impressed with the Accord versus the Max and the TL. The interior, build quality, driving feel/sportiness and just overall impressions of the latter were enough to sway my opinion. The Accord can be had for a few thousand less, but I'm not so sure it isn't worth paying the difference for the other two. Anyway, the Maxima GLE price of $25,500 seems about right from what I've found. I do think the GLE rides better than the SE w/17" wheels. But that's why one is an SE and the other a GLE - they're aimed at different crowds. The TL looks more like about $27,000, but it almost seems to be just a tiny notch above the Max. So, it really is a toss-up for me between it and the Max SE. I'll have to make up my mind pretty soon. The Accord just seemed out of league.
  • vmb1vmb1 Member Posts: 2
    Accord Ex V6 vs Maxima vs Camry XLE V6.....

As a long time & satisfied Accord driver it is a hard choice to shift horses. Honda's value, build quality, local service staff and resale value are not easily overcome by the opposition.

After lots of homework, I bought the Maxima GLE after a test ride experience revealed: 1)the Bose Sound System was second to none 2)the cabin is spacious, comfortable (without the too cushy feel of the CAMRY) & instrumentation is exceptional ...3)most important the 222 HP V6 has the pep and road grabbing feel of a sports car!

Still the $ gap between the Maxima and my second choice, the Accord, was making it hard. Along came the Presidents Day Sale... and an offer I couldn't refuse. Nissan was dealing...my Accord dealer wasn't interested...thus, the choice became easy--->MAXIMA. Morale of the story..If you can close the $ gap...I say JUST DO IT! If you can't close the $....Honda is not a shabby fall back.
  • stxrx7stxrx7 Member Posts: 10
    I can't believe this is even a discussion thread. The Maxima is the superior car. Most Honda dealers could care less if you bought their Accord, because someone else always will. The Maxima has the better engine, handling, transmission, audio system, features, and performance. Refinement is at least on par with the Accord, too. Stop fooling yourself and forget the Accord. If you want a REAL debate, ask which is better: a 4-cyl Accord or the 4-cyl Altima!
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    I had always been an import car buyer. I never once gave American cars the time of day for my attention. I had an Accord. My co-worker has the Maxima. Both Maximas and Accords are great cars.

I was in the market for something "new". What I found was a Chevy Impala LS. From someone who only buys import cars, I can give you testimonial that the Impala LS is an awesome vehicle!! I was shocked by the drive quality of the car and all the safety features you come to expect for a mid size car.

I highly recommend anyone who is looking for a fully loaded sedan to test drive a Chevy Impala LS. Dont' limit yourself with only import cars. The Impala LS made a big believer out of me!! Even my sister who owns Infiniti Q45 was amazed at the smoothness of the vehicle and the power pack 3.8 liter 200 hp engine. She also loves that fact that NSHTA ranked Impala 5 stars.
    It's kind of interesting that the Impala only gets 200 hp out of a 3.8 litre engine. And what is the deal with having two size engines? The gas mileage is not too much better, so what was the reason behind that? The Maxima gets about the same gas mileage out of a 222 hp 3.0 litre engine. I'm with stxrx7: there is really no comparison. It seems that they are really targeted at different people. Maxima, cool ; Impala, grandparents. In fact, my grandfather is looking for a new car now and he's considered the Impala. It's a nice car, but it's really in a different league from the Maxima. I must say that the Impala does have a very nice ride, though. I might consider buying one if you could get it with a 5-speed, 6 spoke 17-inch wheels, and a Bose sound system.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I think the Accord is a great car period. The Maxima is not to be compared with Camry or Accord. Lexus ES300. BMW325 Lincoln or Caddy are cars that can compete. The SE interior room, style and performance are outstanding espically the fit and finish. Quality is there and service from my dealer has been top notch. I paid about 26K tax included for well equipped Maxima excludeding leather and Bose. I look at Accord's on the street and they look back with envy. Honda sales are strong and always will be, but Nissan builds cars with Athletic look's and performance in mind.
  • sierra106sierra106 Member Posts: 2
    My mind is made up, I'll buy the Maxima. First deal is 23,900 for the SE with Comfort and convenience pkg, splash guards, microfilter, wind deflector. This is my price without any bargaining. TMV is 24,073. I told him I would be back after I research and he seemed fine with that. Any tips on my next move would be appreciated. Vanessa
  • fchirichfchirich Member Posts: 1
    I would appreciate further info on your quest for a "good deal" on the SE .I am in the same quandary as you. I definitely like the car and would like a good price and as far as I can see the 23900 for this vehic. with the options you listed, appears to be good. Please let me know further developments in your negotiations. Jerry
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Invoice on my Maxima was 23,500, I paid a few hundred over that. I took a friend of mine back to the same Dealer to purchase his. He paid invoice for the car, I assume they had some dealer cash incentive at the time to sell a 2001 Max at invoice. I checked the internet and could not find any regional or national programs at that time (Oct 2000). My dealer was JK Nissan in Downers Grove, IL. Your price seems very close to invoice. Good Luck!
  • cargirl12cargirl12 Member Posts: 2
    I posted a few days ago...but who knows where it went to. As you can see I'm new to the board. I have someone going to an auction for me to get a 97/98 Maxima SE fully loaded. He's quoted ma a price of around $18,900 for this car with roughly anywhere between 23,000-50,000 miles give or take. First question: Is there any major issues with either of these years that anyone could tell me of. Second: Am I getting a deal here? Third: Standard or Automatic? I drive both but understand the resale value is better for a stick. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks! :)
  • ny972213ny972213 Member Posts: 7
    Vanessa,
    I recently purchased a 2001 SE for 23700(including comfort and convenience, microfilter, mats, wind deflector, and destination). A $500 factory to dealer was applied(don't know if this still in effect).
    Good Luck!
    Joe
  • al57al57 Member Posts: 67
    I own a 2000 max se with comfort and convenience, and other minor options.. has anyone tried to find a reasonable costing 225/50R17 tire as replacement... Mine came with bridge stone RE92..who else offers this size?????
  • sebbsebb Member Posts: 16
    Hey all,
    Just got our new 2001 Maxima SE this weekend. Comfort & Convenience, Meridian Edition, Bose, Leather (Love those heated seats here in the Dakotas!) Microfilter...basically every option you can get except for the 6-disc changer.

What a beauty of a car. Sticker on ours was 30,060 and we paid 26,300. A few hundred under invoice.

To those looking for good deals...I have done a TON of research in the past months on the MAX, and it seems everyone is paying invoice +/- a few hundred dollars. Keep pressing till you get it. We had to walk out on the business manager once...but sure enough the next morning the phone was ringing with our price.

We drove Accord and Max and there just is no comparison. Even the fully loaded Honda is a far cry from the Max SE. The 17" tires are sooooo nice.
    On the brochure I have for the 2001 Maxima, it says the top speed for the 20th ann. SE is 143 mph, but the picture of the speedometer scale goes up to 160 mph. Who's gotten up that high? I know you do when you're by yourself so don't even fake it. Can anyone tell by their keen driving senses whether the speed is electronically limited to 143 mph or if it simply cannot get much faster than 143 mph? Why would they tease people by putting that scale on the speedometer if they cannot get there? Does anyone know if it's possible to get one of those 260 something hp Maxi engines in a '97? Just curious.

Now my other question. I just bought my 97 at the beginning of the year and a single disc CD player was on the features list. However, all the buttons are labelled with the changer controls as well. So I want to be sure that I don't have a changer that I don't know how to use, as the manual is totally useless in the section designated specifically for models equipped with CD changers. So, for those with changers in their previous generation Maximas (or the current generation if the changer is the same or quite similar), how do you load your CD's? In what order do you do what? So am I an idiot with a changer or am I doing everything right and I just don't have a changer?
  • 96_i30_5sp96_i30_5sp Member Posts: 127
    Found an incredible deal today that I couldn't pass up. At an unlikely place (Ford dealer) there stood a fresh trade-in sherwood green 2000 SE 5spd with only 9500mi and all options (C&C, bose, leather, cd changer) except the Meridian package but I don't care about heated seats in SE Texas. :) Anyway, I got it for only $17,500+TTL!
    Are you sure there is nothing wrong with that car? How many miles are on it? Have you had it thoroughly examined?? I wish I could have gotten your deal.
    YEah, that is a _hell_ of a deal. There is a 2000 SE Sherwood Green on our local Nissan dealer lot with about 15K miles and it is 22,000 bucks. Same options as you describe. Make sure the thing hasn't been wrecked. Otherwise...ENJOY!!!!
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    I own 1998 SE auto 30 K with all options including heated seats and side air bags. The best trade-in offer I was able to get for the car is 15K. Retail should be no more than 17 - 17.5 for a loaded 98. In NYC area resale values are much lower for a stick, in your area it may be a different story. The only sedan that has higher retail with a stick is BMW 540. I did not have any problem with my car except brakes giving up at 22K. Hope it helps
  • 96_i30_5sp96_i30_5sp Member Posts: 127
    I took it today to the local Nissan for an oil change and tire rotation/balance. They looked at it underneath, everywhere, the car has never had any warranty work according to Nissan. Of course, it's never been in an accident too. I'm so happy! :) The Ford people showed me their paperwork on the trade-in, they gave the previous owner $16800 so they were happy to make $700 profit from me. I didn't mind it since the car was bargain-priced to begin with.
  • sysadbsysadb Member Posts: 83
    Cargirl12,

While there are no specific reliability issues to worry about, any car can have a problem. The person buying this car at auction (with your authorization, I presume) sounds like the sole assessor of this vehicle, determining both condition and value. Should there be multiple bidders the value equation will take care of itself - bidding itself determines value.
    But you didn't say what your relationship to the buyer (bidder) is. Is the auction private (dealer), or public? Is he telling you the car will be approx. $18.9k regardless of what he buys it for? These are important factors. The difference between 23k miles and 50k miles on a 98 car is huge. I surely wouldn't want to pay the same amount for cars with that variance in milage. As for the 5-speed, the resale isn't greater.
    Buying cars at auction can be risky, since you don't have the opportunity to check the car thoroughly for mechanical defects, but by and large you can get good value for your selection. I would try to find a 98 with warranty left if possible - just in case there is a hidden problem..That means under 36k miles on the odometer and under three years from the service date (Nissan's warranty). If the warranty book is in the car it should note when the car was put in service.
    But $18.9k for a 98 with 50k miles is high for an auction. Wholesale is well below that. Think of the milage this way. If the car had only 23k miles on it you would be able to drive it 27k more miles before it was an equivalent car to the one with 50k miles. That's two years driving to some people. If someone keeps their car for 300k miles then it doesn't mean so much, but the market says that the car with 23k miles is worth $1500-2000 more. Good luck.

Denny
  • ny972213ny972213 Member Posts: 7
    If you're looking to save a couple of thousand, go with the accord.
    If you're looking for a real driving machine, go with the Maxima.
    Test drive both. If you don't realize a difference, then buy the Honda and get yourself checked out.I was set on buying a Honda until I test drove the Maxima. End of story.
    On the brochure I have for the 2001 Maxima, it says the top speed for the 20th ann. SE is 143 mph, but the picture of the speedometer scale goes up to 160 mph. Who's gotten up that high? I know you do when you're by yourself so don't even fake it. Can anyone tell by their keen driving senses whether the speed is electronically limited to 143 mph or if it simply cannot get much faster than 143 mph? Why would they tease people by putting that scale on the speedometer if they cannot get there? Does anyone know if it's possible to get one of those 260 something hp Maxi engines in a '97? Just curious.

Now my other question. I just bought my 97 at the beginning of the year and a single disc CD player was on the features list. However, all the buttons are labeled with the changer controls as well. So I want to be sure that I don't have a changer that I don't know how to use, as the manual is totally useless in the section designated specifically for models equipped with CD changers. So, for those with changers in their previous generation Maximas (or the current generation if the changer is the same or quite similar), how do you load your CD's? In what order do you do what? So am I an idiot with a changer or am I doing everything right and I just don't have a changer?
    I have a 2001 Max SE. I know two people who have driven them over 120 and they both claim the car has a limiter at ~127 MPH, although the magazines have said 143.

I imagine the reason the speedo reads 160 is just to make it look more impressive to the casual onlooker.
  • prinjaprinja Member Posts: 2
    Why are all the Maximas I looked at automatics ? Am I the only one who would rather have a stick? Does anyone have some advice on how I should proceed to get one and still get a deal? So far I got a deal for 23,900 for the SE automatic with Comfort and Convenience and a few other minor goodies.
    Mike from South Jersey
  • jdimottajdimotta Member Posts: 55
    Has anyone purchased a SE special edition and if so are they giving good deals on them as well??..like the regular SE's?...Would like anyones in put on that...Also has anyone seen this car in the new Majestic Blue color??...Thanks...Joe D.
    I have a 5-speed on my 2001 Max SE, and indeed the availability of the stick was a big player in my choice of car. If anything your desire for a stick should help you get a better deal, as they tend not to sell well. Mine had to be transported from out of state, but I still got a very good price.
  • getz1getz1 Member Posts: 63
    I test drove both the accord and the maxima and actually found the sporty feel of the maxima to be much less than expected. We actually ended up getting two of the accords, and I thought the accord in the automatic form felt like it accelerated a little faster than the Maxima. I'm sure the 5-spd Maxima takes care of this, but rush hour in Chicago sucks when you drive a stick. I don't know what the numbers are touted to be, but I didn't see any glaring differences in handling between the two cars. Honestly, I didn't find either vehicles to be "real driving machines", as stated by one post. They both are roomy and have above average acceleration, but I didn't percieve any benefit from the 20+hp of the maxima. I was tempted by the discounts on nissans, but usually you end up eating that in resale value. All in all the Hondas have been very comfortable, and I don't regret buying them. Hopefully when I get the urge to get another car, I'll have some decent equity and trade up for the new BMW 330 or Audi S4, both of which destroy the accord and maxima when it comes to driving pleasure. Heck, for under 30k you can get a Acura Cl-S type with 260HP, which makes runs to 60 with an automatic transmission a few tenths quicker than the SE max in 5 speed form. The new gen maxima rumored with 270hp sounds very interesting though.
    Dude, you must not have driven the cars at all! What did you do? Test-drive them around the parking lot? If you stick it to the cars, you will see that the Maxima comes out on top.
    Joe D....
    No, I did not purchase the 20th Anniversary MAx...but we looked at them heavily before getting the regular SE. We test drove one and ran some numbers with the business manager at a bigger dealer in the Twin Cities. He gave the impression that with the limited number of 20th Anniv. max's (12,500) produced, that real good deals would be harder to come by. However, he also said that anytime he could order one for his lot, he would...just so maybe he can build a nice supply of them (perhaps to give a deal or two). They come with a heftier price by a couple thousand over the regular SE...but you really don't get much more than badging and 5 extra horses. One of the Twin Cities dealers had the 20th Anniversary in Majestic Blue on the showroom floor and it was _gorgeous_. If I could have splurged, I would have just for that color. Very very nice. Wish Nissan would have made it available on all SE's. But I suppose that is their intention. Make a limited number of 20th's and give the buyer a leg up on the rest of the Max owners by offering a very nice color.
    Oh your absolutely right, I didn't know I was allowed to take the car off the the lot before buying it. I made each one do a complete circle, and I played with the seats. Actually I was a ways away from the salt flats, and was unable to set up the cones for the slalom test. I also unfortunately left all my Dyno equipment at home, and the sales guy probably wasn't going to let me go run laps with either car at the track. I really doubt you'd see much differentce if you "stuck" it to either car. They are still 4dr family movers. For those driving Accords, MaximaGLEs and GXEs (the SE is almost justified) whom think they are driving sports cars, go test drive a BMW 330i and then compare the feeling. Understandable why the price difference is 15 thousand bucks.
    Here's the numbers I could find on the Accord and maxima (March 01 Motor Trend), I believe edmunds ran a comparison on the two in their family sedan showdown as well.
    0-60 Honda: 8.1 Maxima GXE: 8.1
    60-0 134 ft 131 ft
    slalom 56.6 mph 58.6 mph
    1/4 mi 16.2 (85.8) 16.2 (85.9)
    -Not huge differences, with the slalom being perhaps the most notable with a variance of 2 mph. Unless, spending the money on the 5spd SE with the more capable wheels/tires, I don't think performance is an issue. If you like the way one looks or feels over the other, fine, but I don't think either car is going to be embarassing each other at stop lights or on-ramps (unless you roll down you window and tell me that you have twenty more hp).
    -Getz
    Getz1, why don't you compare whatever can be deemed the pseudo-sport version of the Accord to the SE Maxima? The SE's 0-60 acceleration was published at 6.7 on Edmunds. Can anyone else verify seeing this stat? The SE is more than "justified."
    I don't think anyone actually considers the acccord a sport sedan, which is funny since it is pretty similar to the maxima in its performance numbers; and the number difference is no where exagerated enough to say the the maxima is the true driving machine when compared to the accord (that's the "I'm proud of my new car" attitude talking). You could however compare the Acura Cl-S (28,900 s navigation) which is about the same price as a loaded SE (28,600) and considering the comprable price it could be considered the sporty version of the accord. The 6.7 sec (motor trend)maxima time is for a manual transmission which, since the topic states automatic transmission only, is a moot point. I did make an assumption in that the auto SE would reach 60 with a time equal to the GXE, feel free to correct me if there is a difference. The automatic transmission cl-s reaches 60 in 6.4 seconds, 60-0 in 124ft, 1/4mi in 14.8 (96.5) which are noticably better than the maxima (motor trend). Of course you lose the 4 doors, however the TL-S is being released which has pretty much the same performance as the 2 door and would serve to haul around the family. Obviously the five speed maxima would handily beat an accord, which I don't think anyone is arguing. I do agree that the maxima has a sportier look than the accord, and the SE auto will post a better skidpad. But, since no one is claiming the accord to be a sport sedan, and the maxima is the self-touted four door sports car, I find this to be somewhat of a marketing gimmic on Nissans behalf as the cars are very close in their numbers. When comparing the maxima se to BMW's offerings, which arguably are touted the leading developer of sports sedans, I don't see the maxima as being justified (especially with an automatic transmission which is akin to pouring ketchup over a nice cut of steak). For 4 grand cheaper you could buy an all wheel drive subaru wrx which destroys the maxima in every performance category, and as such I would consider that a true sports sedan.
    I'm not trying to knock the maxima as it is a fabulous car, but I think the sports car classification is a bit much considering the actual performance numbers. I find it amusing that anything perpetuated as a sports sedan would even find itself being compared to the accord, which is considered the kitchen appliance of the car world. I also haven't noticed any maxima vs. the BMW 330 or Audi A6 (although the price tag would make these equally laughable).
    It will be interesting to see where nissan is taking itself; with the new Z and Q45's numbers we may see a resurgence of the attitude that inifiniti had when it first came out. Unfortunately they tried to ride the lexus cushy boat philosophy and strayed away from producing comfortable cars with great performance (the first Q45 had a much meaner V8 than the past few years have used), the new Q45 is amazing! My wife had a 99 G20 that was incredibly stable when pushed through corners, and if provided the proper engine it could have been a bmw beater. The XVL, proposed with rear wheel drive and 250+hp will be incredible if it handles as well as the G20 did. I am estatic that so many people love the maxima (as evidenced by the twenty other maxima vs. God knows what topics) as it will help nissan maintain its solidarity. Nissan has the know how to make a serious car (ever hear of the skyline?), it's just a matter of time till they are willing to produce a sedan that totally pleases in the performance category. And Boris, if you drive an automatic SE don't let reality hinder your notion of its performance, if you squint hard enough and perform a carotid massage during brisk accleration you will have the notion of traveling much faster than actually registered on the speedometer. There is actually a level of self awareness, as documented by Freud, jammed between the id, ego, and superego which actually governs men and their cars so I understand this need to feel faster and sportier then the next guy. Hey, if a woman can get breast implants to feel better about herself, you are certainly entitled to pick on cavaliers, malibus, intrepids, heck even accords at the stop light. Try cannibalism and dust a sentra se, or would that be fratricide? Enjoy your car!
    -Getz
    Okay what I've been doing here is trying to convince myself that I did not make a mistake in not waiting for this 260 something hp Maxima. I do drive the 5-speed, but I gotta say that you are making me feel like I possibly spent too soon.
    The current maxima is a great choice for what is being offered at its price. I actually think that people who are buying maximas now are getting great deals and I believe you made the right decision if you really wanted a nissan. I hate waiting as much as the next guy and would have done the same as you. Drive it for a few years and get the new max offering once it is available. What is nice about the japanese imports is that they are incredibly easy to sell, and have very decent resale. When it comes time to upgrade, you should have absolutely no trouble getting a price you want, especially private party (arrgh, a huge hassle though). If the reports are true, Nissan will have a big winner on their hands with the next gen max. I totally side with your doubts, it happens to every new car buyer. Every time I see an SE go buy with the 17in wheels I get a similar pang in wondering if I made the right choice with the accord. Both are great cars that should serve us well for years, or at least till we get the urge to head to the local dealership and try and get the newer shinier version of whatever strikes our eyes.
    Take care, and try not to pick on the honda guys to much with that fancy drive train.
    -Getz
  • loonee2nloonee2n Member Posts: 2
    To Edwardsa1,
    I don't know about a 2001 Maxima, but I was in a 2000 maxima that hit 130mph. It wasn't going to go much higher than that. I'd say 135 max. The 160 is for show, unless you want to put a Stillen supercharger in it.
    Tell me more about this one, "Stillen supercharger."
This discussion has been closed.